Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Reply to topic
Share | 

Full Moon Rider by Coronado

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins

PostFull Moon Rider by Coronado

Starring Pete Duel and Ben Murphy

Eric Fleming as Davis

George Peppard as Wheeler

Jon Lormer as the Old man

Larry Storch as Riley

Clippity clop, clippity clop…..

The sound of rapid hoof beats brought Hannibal Heyes out of a sound sleep. Shaking his head, he tried to figure out where the sound had come from. He rolled over in his bedroll and looked over at the sleeping form of his partner. The Kid slept soundly, soft snores coming from his blanket.

The moon was almost full, lending enough light for Heyes to realize that there was definitely no horse galloping through the camp they had set up. He sat up, running his hands through his hair and looked around. They were camped in a canyon with a solid wall behind them.

“Hey, Kid,” he called out, trying to rouse his partner. When that didn’t work, he crawled over and shook him. “Kid, wake up.”

Curry came out of his deep sleep quickly, his hand on his gun. Seeing only Heyes, he blinked at him. “What?”

“Did you hear that?” Heyes asked, looking around.

“Hear what?" The Kid shook his head. “The only thing I hear is you. And you’re keepin’ me awake.” He let his head drop back on his bedroll. “Go back to sleep, Heyes.”

Looking around once more, Heyes could only hear the soft wind sighing through the canyon and the sounds of small animals skittering in the night. “Must have been dreaming,” he mumbled to himself, as he lay down and soon fell back asleep.

When they broke camp in the morning, Heyes once again asked, “You sure you didn’t hear those hoof beats?”

“Heyes, there was no horse last night.” He pointed up to the sheer canyon wall. “No way a horse could be gallopin’ up there. An’ the road we traveled in on is hard-packed sand. A horse wouldn’t make any noise.”

“Mmmph.” Heyes wasn’t convinced, but let the matter drop.

As they rode into town, they both glanced at the sign painted above the sheriff’s office. Turning to each other as they rode past the unfamiliar name, they each smiled widely and urged their horses along in the general direction of the saloon.

Suddenly, a gray-haired man came off the boardwalk and hurried over to them. Heyes and Curry exchanged slightly alarmed looks, but otherwise didn’t react. “Oh, gentlemen!” the man called to them. “Are you here for the job?”

Straightening up in the saddle, Heyes pushed his hat slightly back. “Huh, job?”

The man stared at them as if they were slightly dim-witted. “Yes, the job!”

Heyes glanced at the Kid, who gave a slight shake of his head, indicating that he was more than happy to let Heyes handle the questions. The dark-haired man gave his partner a slightly disgusted look. “Well, since we just rode into town and we didn’t know there was a job…”

The older man looked crestfallen. “Oh. Well, then. Perhaps I’ve made a mistake.”

“Maybe not,” Heyes told him with a smile. “What kind of job are we talking about?”

“Tryin’ to catch the ghost horse that’s scared all the miners away from the mine.” The old man waited for their reaction.

“Ghost horse?” Heyes turned a triumphant look at the Kid, who promptly returned the same look when the older man pointed in the opposite direction from where they had camped.

“Yeah, ‘neath the ridge up there.”

“What about the canyon over there?” Heyes persisted, pointing to the west.

The old man looked at them. “Is that where you boys were camped last night?” At their nods, he shook his head. “Nah, the ghost horse don’t go near the canyon.” He leaned forward to say in a loud whisper, “There’s Indian spirits there.”

Once again the Kid was on the receiving end of the triumphant look from Heyes. Finally, the Kid decided that it was his turn. “Do the Indian spirits have a ghost horse?” he asked skeptically.

“Don’t think so. Never heard ‘bout no horse in the canyon, Indian or otherwise. Just some Indian girls that was massacred by some soldiers long before the town was built.”

“So, about the job?” Heyes swung the conversation back to the original topic. “Who’s offering the job?”

“Oh, the manager of the mine over yonder, Mr. Wheeler. See, long as that ghost horse is runnin’ around out there, the miners are too afraid to work. Them Irish fellas are mighty spooked.”

Curry pushed his hat back with one finger. “The miners are Irish?”

“Yeah, an’ none of ‘em’ll go near the mine.”

“I’ll bet,” Heyes said, glancing at the Kid who gave him a wry grin.

“How much is he payin’?” This from the Kid.

“Last I heard five hundred dollars. Mr. Wheeler had a wire from a couple of fellas he met a few weeks ago said they might come down and take a look-see. I figured you was them.”

“Where can we find Mr. Wheeler?” Heyes asked. “Just in case we’re interested.”

“Oh, he’s up in his office at the mine. Jus’ keep goin’ through town an’ you can’t miss it.”

The partners exchanged glances with Curry giving Heyes an almost indistinguishable nod. “Okay,” Heyes said. “Soon as we get a beer or two we’ll go on up to see him.” He looked at the Kid. “Can’t hurt, right?”

Curry snorted but reined his chestnut alongside his partner’s bay as they headed for the saloon.

Seated at one of the tables, a beer in front of each of them, they took off their hats and relaxed back into their chairs. Savoring the first sip of his beer, the Kid waited for Heyes to speak first. “What do you think?”

Curry raised an eyebrow. “You really want to know?”

“Yeah, I really want to know.”

“I think we should get the supplies we need and keep right on goin’.”

“But, it’s five hundred dollars!”

“Yeah, I heard that part. Loud and clear.”

Heyes leaned over across the table. “You don’t think there really is a ghost horse, do you?” His voice was serious.

“Nope. I think it’s somethin’ that somebody’s doin’ to keep the Irish workers out of that mine. An’ we could be buyin’ ourselves more trouble than five hundred dollars is worth.”

Nodding slowly, Heyes returned the grin. “Finish your beer and let’s go see Mr. Wheeler. Find out a little bit more about this ghost horse.”

They left the saloon, re-mounted their horses and followed the road out of town and into the foothills. As they approached the entrance to the mining camp, they could see several miners sitting outside their cabins, playing cards and talking. Conversations halted as they watched Heyes and the Kid ride up to the building marked “Manager’s Office”. Opening the door, they stepped inside where a small, thin man with silver hair sat behind his desk. He looked up as they entered, pushing up the glasses that had slid down his nose. “Can I help you gentlemen?” he inquired pleasantly.

“I’m Joshua Smith and this is my partner, Thaddeus Jones.” Heyes nodded towards the Kid. “We were riding into town to buy supplies when someone mentioned something about a job. Catching a ghost horse?”

“Oh! Yes, yes, pleased to meet you!” He got up from behind the desk and energetically shook first Heyes’ hand and then Curry’s. “Are you interested? It pays five hundred dollars.”

Flicking a glance at his partner, the Kid nodded. “Yeah, we heard that part. Exactly what do we have to do to earn that five hundred dollars?”

“Catch it, of course.” He smiled widely at them. “Then maybe these superstitious workers will agree to go back in the mine and start working again.”

“Uh huh.” The Kid shot a skeptical look at Heyes who gave him a slight frown before smiling broadly at Mr. Wheeler.

“I think Thaddeus and I might be able to handle that,” Heyes told the manager.

“Well, you’ll only have the next three nights to try and do it.” Mr. Wheeler’s smile remained firmly in place.

Heyes’ smile was turning into a frown as he asked, “Why’s that?”

“Because the ghost horse only shows itself the nights before, during and after a full moon,” Wheeler explained.

“Of course it does.” The Kid was definitely not smiling.

“I still think we can catch this horse for you,” Heyes said with confidence.

Curry gave his partner a sideways glance that clearly showed he didn’t share his partner’s enthusiasm.

“Well, that’s splendid!” Mr. Wheeler began to usher them out of the office. “You go on over and speak to Mr. Davis. He has a small cabin right down the hill from here. He’s my supervisor and he’s seen the horse himself! He’ll tell you the best place to watch for it. Happy hunting!” The office door closed firmly behind them as they stood on the steps.

Heyes shrugged as he looked at the Kid. “Guess we better find Mr. Davis.”

“Yeah, Heyes,” Curry’s tone had a distinct edge of sarcasm. “Let’s do that.”

Deciding to ignore his partner’s lack of enthusiasm for his suggestion, Heyes led the way down the slight incline to a small cabin. The man that answered the door was about 35 years old, tall, with dark hair and an air of confidence about him. “Guess you two are here about the job?” he asked and the partners looked at each other. Davis gave them a smile and a chuff of laughter. “News travels fast around here. Come on in.”

They followed him into a neat room where he gestured them toward chairs at the table. He held up a coffee pot and they both nodded. After pouring the coffee, he regarded them for a moment. Heyes was the first to break the silence. “Mr. Wheeler says you’ve seen this ghost horse.”

“I’ve seen it.” Davis sipped at his coffee, waiting for the next question.

Heyes gave him a puzzled look. “You try to chase after it?”

Nodding, Davis sighed. “It’s pretty rough terrain out there. Easy for a horse to break a leg if you don’t know where you’re going. And whoever’s riding it definitely knows where they’re going.”

“Did you try trackin’ it in the daylight?” the Kid asked after taking a sip of the excellent coffee. Before Davis could reply, Curry remarked, “This is really good coffee,” giving his partner a pointed look. Heyes gave him a faint grin.

Davis nodded. “Thanks for the compliment. And, to answer your question, I did. But it doesn’t really leave any prints and I’m not the best at tracking.”

“Maybe it’s not shod?” Heyes suggested.

Davis shrugged. “I don’t know. You can see faint marks here and there but nothing definitive enough to follow.”

“So, do you believe the horse is real?” asked Heyes.

“Let me put it to you this way…” Davis leaned forward and continued earnestly, “I don’t believe in ghosts, but the bullets were real.”

“Bullets?” The Kid’s attention sharpened. “What bullets?”

“The ones that did this.” Davis got up and brought back his hat, which had been hanging by the door. “Whoever it was, they were a pretty good shot.” He showed them the neat hole in the crown.

His coffee forgotten, the Kid leaned back in his chair and the look he gave Heyes definitely wasn’t one of enthusiasm. “Rifle?” the blond guessed.

“Yeah, I’d say so. And, before you ask, they must’ve picked up the cartridges. ‘Cause I went back up there when it was light and I didn’t find ‘em.”

Heyes hesitated and then flicked a glance at his partner and receiving an almost imperceptible nod, he asked Davis, “Why do you think somebody wants to keep the miners from working the mine?”

Davis took a drink from his cup as he thought about Heyes’ question. “I dunno. Owners? There was a stranger in town just before it first appeared. I’d say the manager, but, you’ve met Wheeler. Should’ve stayed in the East. Can’t even ride a horse.” Davis shook his head in disbelief.

“And he’s the one who wants to hire us,” the Kid reminded them.

Heyes grinned. “Yeah, but maybe that’s so we don’t suspect him of anything. You got any ideas why anyone wouldn’t want the mine worked?” He looked at Davis.

“Maybe. Some of the miners were saying that they think the vein’s about played out. Wheeler insists it’s not. He’s asked the company to send more money for supplies and he wants to try blasting some new tunnels.”

“Dynamite or nitro?” Heyes’ interest was piqued.

“Dynamite. Nitro’s too unstable. I hate using that stuff.” Davis got up and refilled his coffee cup. He refilled their cups without asking and set the coffeepot back on the stove and sat back down. “All I know is I’m out of a job in a few days. If the miners won’t work, there’s nobody to supervise.”

“Is the company that owns the mine still sending the payroll?” Heyes asked.

Davis shrugged. “I don’t know…Wheeler deals with the owners and does the books. Why?”

“Do they know the mine’s not being worked?” Curry glanced at Heyes, who nodded.

Again Davis shrugged as he shook his head. “I have no idea. I just handle the men."

Deciding that they’d learned all they could, Heyes finished his coffee before asking, “Where should we wait if we want to see the horse?”

“That ridge above the mine; here, I’ll show you.” They all walked outside and Davis pointed to the low ridge beyond the entrance to the mine. “You’ll want to get up there before it gets too dark. It’s hard to find your way up there on horseback.”

Heyes reached out shake Davis’ hand. “Thanks for all the information. Guess we’ll see for ourselves tonight. Come on, Thaddeus.”

The Kid nodded to Davis and followed his partner back to where they had left their horses. But instead of mounting, Heyes went over to knock on Wheeler’s office door. “What’re you doin’?” the Kid hissed just before Wheeler opened the door.

“Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones! Did you speak with Mr. Davis? Was he helpful?”

“There’s just one thing…” Heyes began walking into the office and Mr. Wheeler had no choice but to step back. When he was inside, Heyes let his eyes quickly gaze about the room until he saw what he was looking for. Smoothly he continued talking as he subtly drew his partner’s attention to the far corner of the room and the small safe that sat there. “Mr. Davis mentioned that he was shot at. Do you happen to know who might have done that?”

The Kid switched his attention back from the safe his partner had shown him to Wheeler as the manager shook his head vigorously. “No, I don’t have the faintest idea. Are you going up there tonight?”

Heyes nodded. “Yeah, I think we’ll take a ride up there around sunset. Give us a chance to look around before it gets completely dark.”

“Oh, good, good.” Wheeler began subtly edging them toward the door. “You both seem like very resourceful young men. I’m sure you’ll get to the bottom of things.”

Once again they found themselves standing outside the closed door. Heyes gave the Kid a quick grin before mounting his horse and they rode back into town, stopping at the livery stable. Once the horses were taken care of, they began walking over to the hotel and then Heyes pulled the Kid to a stop. “Let’s eat first.”

“Why?”

“After we eat we can get a room and sleep for awhile. We’re not gonna be sleeping later tonight if we’re watching for the horse.”

Shrugging, the Kid led the way over to the town’s only restaurant. The waitress told them the special was fried chicken and biscuits and Curry grinned. “They even have my favorite, Joshua.”

“I don’t think there’s anything that’s not your favorite,” Heyes told him as he shook his head.

Once they had been served, the Kid immediately began eating while Heyes gazed out the window, a thoughtful expression on his face. “So who do you think is behind it?” Heyes asked, keeping his voice low.

Curry shook his head. “I don’t know. But my money’s on the one who manages the mine. If there’s a man who is in charge of the miners, he stands to lose along with them.”

“Maybe. Or could be there’s something else in that mine that Mr. Wheeler don’t want anybody to find,” Heyes suggested.

The Kid paused in buttering another biscuit and grinned slightly. “Or, what’s supposed to be in the mine, ain’t there. Wheeler’s makin’ sure nobody gets in there to look around.”

“Mmmmph. That’s a thought,” Heyes nodded approvingly.

They were eating apple pie and drinking their coffee when a man approached their table. He was short, with a wiry build and black hair. “You the two who’re going after that ghost horse?” he asked, pulling up a chair without an invitation.

After exchanging a look of puzzlement with the Kid, Heyes asked warily, “Maybe. Who are you?”

“Name’s Riley. I’m one of the miners.”

“Oh, worried about your job?” the Kid asked.

“Yeah, kinda. I heard you might have a plan for catchin’ the horse.”

Heyes looked at Curry and grinned. “News travels fast.”

His partner smiled back. “Sure does.” He turned his attention to Riley. “Have you seen the horse?”

“Yeah, me an’ a few of the other miners saw it on the second night last month.”

“So how come nobody’s tried to find out who’s ridin’ it or where it comes from?” The Kid asked.

Riley shrugged. “We’re miners. We can all ride, of course, but not the kind of ridin’ you’d need to do to catch that horse.”

“Any of the mine workers have an idea of who the rider could be?” Heyes asked.

“No, we’ve all talked about it but couldn’t come up with anybody. Well,” he pushed his chair back and stood up. “Just wanted to wish you luck. We’d all like to go back to work an’ the sooner the better.”

They exchanged handshakes and as Riley walked out of the restaurant, Heyes looked at his partner. “What’ya make of that?”

The Kid finished his coffee and sat back in his chair. “I dunno. Maybe he is just worried about goin’ back to work.”

“Yeah, maybe.” Heyes’ words reflected his doubt. “You ready?”

Nodding, Curry picked up his hat and followed Heyes out of the restaurant. Later in their room, they lay down on the twin beds and tried to get some sleep. Heyes awoke first and he got up, shaking the Kid’s shoulder until the blond mumbled, “I’m awake, I’m awake.”

Collecting their horses from the livery, Heyes pulled the owner aside while the Kid saddled their horses. “Do you have a lantern I could borrow?" Heyes asked him.

The elderly man nodded. “Sure, got one right here.” He laughed softly. “You boys figure on riding up there to see the ghost horse?”

The Kid had finished saddling his chestnut and was putting the bridle on Heyes’ bay as he looked at the owner. “You’ve seen it?”

“Nah, I ain’t interested in stumblin’ around up there in the dark just to see some fool tryin’ to break his neck. An’ I heard Davis got shot at, too.”

Heyes nodded as he swung into the saddle and took the lantern the owner handed him. “We figure five hundred dollars is a good enough reason.”

“Not if you ain’t alive to spend it,” the owner laughed again as he went back into the livery. “Be careful up there!”

Giving Heyes a dark look, the Kid refrained from voicing his opinion on the livery owner’s comment. They nudged the horses into a lope and were soon riding into the area below the ridge.

“Good thing we got up here when we did,” the Kid observed as they guided their horses up the narrow trail. “This loose shale is pretty unstable,” he observed as the horses had to pick their way carefully.

“Yeah, I was thinking the same thing,” Heyes nodded.

Once they reached the top of the ridge, they halted the horses and Heyes looked around. “This looks like a pretty good spot. I’ll bet Davis sat up around here somewhere.”

The Kid nodded and they dismounted, settling themselves with their backs against some boulders. They had a good vantage point from there as they could see the area beneath them clearly. After a few hours they changed positions and, trying to get comfortable on the hard ground, the Kid rolled over on his back. “You really think we’re gonna see this ghost horse?”

Heyes, lying on his stomach, was watching the canyon below them. “Almost full moon tonight. Just like there was last night when we heard those hoof beats.”

Giving a snort of disgust, the Kid retorted, “You heard those hoof beats. Not me. I didn’t hear a thing. And like I said, I don’t see how there could have been a horse runnin’ where we were.”

There was silence for several minutes and then Heyes said thoughtfully, “But what if there was a horse galloping along the ridge over here and the sound traveled through the rocks where we were?”

“Huh?” Curry asked incredulously. “What’re you talkin’ about?”

Warming up to his theory, Heyes nodded even though he knew the Kid couldn’t see the gesture in the dark. “I think it’s possible. It’s the only explanation for what I heard.”

“What you thought you heard.” The Kid wasn’t going to give up so easily. “So do you think it’s Davis?” he asked, wanting to get his partner off the subject of hoof beats when there wasn’t any horse visible.

“No.” Heyes’ tone was emphatic. “If the miners don’t work, he don’t get paid. Where’s the profit? My money’s on Wheeler. I think he’s the one behind all this. I think he’s stringing the owners of the mine along until he gets the next payroll shipment and then he’s gonna get out of town as fast as he can.”

“Wheeler?” The Kid’s voice reflected his doubt. “You heard what Davis said about him. He can’t ride a horse and I’ll bet he can’t shoot either.”

“Don’t judge a book by its cover, Kid. Maybe that’s what he wants people to think. The fact he’s handling the books makes me suspicious.”

“Can’t be doin’ it by himself.”

“No…he has to have someone working with him.”

“Who…that stranger Davis mentioned?”

Heyes nodded. “Maybe we should ask around town about him. You don’t think it’s Davis?”

”Trust me on this, Heyes, it’s not Davis.” Curry’s voice was sincere. “It would have to be somebody who knew the area really well and could ride better’n most.”

Chuckling slightly, Heyes said, “Maybe it’s somebody who’s used to running from posses. Gotta be a pretty good rider to do that.”

“Real funny, Heyes,” the Kid told his partner sarcastically. “Maybe one of the miners is the rider.”

“Yeah, it could be. But I still think Wheeler is giving the orders.”

“How’re we gonna prove it’s Wheeler?”

“We need to get into his office.” Heyes’ words took on an amused tone. “You saw that safe. You could probably even get into it.”

“What do you think’s in there?”

“Ledgers. He probably has two of ‘em. One he writes down for himself and the other ledger has a different set of figures that he would show to the owners if any of ‘em showed up. Davis might be right about the mine, too. Maybe Wheeler’s telling the owners that he just needs some more time to blow open more tunnels. They keep sending money for supplies and they have no idea of what’s really going on here.”

They both fell silent as they watched the moon as it rose, bathing everything with a silvery radiance. The faint sound of hoof beats reached them, becoming louder and suddenly a cloud passed over the moon and everything was pitch black. When the moon became visible again, they were both startled at the scene below them. A black horse was galloping past where they were perched. Its hooves were white and as the moon reflected off its tail, they could see bright sparkles of light. A minute later it was gone and Heyes let out the breath he had been holding.

“Davis was right,” he finally managed to say. “It’s a real horse, alright.”

“That somebody’s goin’ to an awful lot of trouble to make people think it’s not,” the Kid added.

“Come on.” Heyes led the way over to where their horses waited. “Maybe we should lead them down part of the way,” he suggested.

“Yeah, I think that might be a good idea. Wouldn’t want ‘em to stumble up here. Could break a leg.”

Heyes struck a match and lit the lamp, which cast a soft glow in the immediate area. Once they were further down the ridge and had remounted, Heyes turned to the Kid. “Maybe we should check out that safe now.”

“Think we can get in there without anyone seein’ us?”

“We’ll leave the horses where they won’t be seen an’ walk to the office.”

When they reached level ground, Heyes extinguished the lantern, as the moonlight was bright enough that they could easily see where they were going. Leaving the horses just outside the camp, they made their way stealthily across the open area until they reached Wheeler’s office. The Kid took up a position near the door as Heyes pulled his lock pick out of his boot. Within seconds he had the door open and he gave his partner a quick grin. Once inside, they pulled down the window shades and the Kid lit a lamp, keeping the wick turned down low. Heyes knelt beside the safe and Curry whispered, “Sure hope you haven’t lost your touch, Heyes.”

The dark-haired man gave a disdainful snort, but didn’t reply. Less than five minutes later he was giving the Kid a triumphant smile as he turned the handle on the safe and the door opened. Curry brought the lamp closer and they both looked inside. As Heyes had predicted, there were several ledgers as well as a canvas bag. Heyes pulled out the bag, opened it and they both stared at the stacks of money inside. The partners looked at each other for a moment, and then Curry shook his head. “Don’t seem fair, does it?”

“No, it don’t. But that ain’t what we came for.” Heyes pulled out the ledgers and began studying them.

The Kid took the chair next to Wheeler’s desk and placed it by the door, sitting down and patiently waiting for his partner to finish what he was doing.

It was almost an hour later when Heyes looked up. “Figure it out?” the Kid asked.

“Well, he’s got charges for supplies and wages for the last month written down in one book. But not in the other. So I guess if the owners dropped in, he’d only show them one set of figures. And he’s charging ‘em for nitro, but Davis said they aren’t using that. They’re using dynamite.”

“Nitro costs a lot more than dynamite,” Curry noted. “An’ that ain’t somethin’ you can hide too easily.”

Closing the ledgers, Heyes put them back in the safe, shut the door and made sure it was locked. “No, it’s not. You can’t bring in nitro without somebody seeing it.” He stood up, extinguished the lamp, and pulled the shades back up. “Come on, let’s get back to town.”

They had breakfast in the restaurant and while they were eating, the Kid asked, “What do you want to do now? We know Wheeler doesn’t want anybody workin’ in the mine since he’s stealin’ from the owners, but we can’t tell him that.”

Heyes nodded, a thoughtful expression on his face. “No, we can’t tell him we know ‘cause we broke into his safe.” They continued eating and then Heyes suggested, “What if we just tell him that we saw the horse? And that we need another night to figure out how to catch it. Maybe that’ll push him into doing something stupid, like trying to take the payroll and leave town.”

“Good idea. Maybe after we talk to him we should check out the area around the mines. Maybe that’s where he’s keepin’ the horse.”

“Alright, let’s go over and see Mr. Wheeler.”

The manager was just arriving at his office when they rode up and he greeted them cordially. “So, have you gentlemen made any progress?”

They both dismounted and Heyes glanced at the Kid who gave a subtle nod. “Well, Mr. Wheeler, we think we can solve your problem.”

“Really?” There was a slight note of panic underlying the manager’s question. “You saw the horse? And you think you can catch it?”

The Kid pushed back his hat with one finger. “We’ve got some ideas but we’ll tell you about it when we’ve got the whole plan put together.”

As Curry was speaking, Heyes’ attention was caught by a small object on the ground, something small that was glinting in the early morning sun. He surreptitiously covered it with his boot and looked back at Wheeler.

“Oh, that’s…” Wheeler paused, trying to convince them of his sincerity, “Wonderful news, really.” He turned to go into his office, still muttering to himself.

As soon as Wheeler was inside, Heyes moved his boot and touched the Kid’s arm, drawing his attention to the shiny item. Curry bent down and picked it up, holding it out on his palm to show Heyes. A glittering white mica flake, the type used for Christmas decorations. The partners didn’t notice that Wheeler had lingered by the window and didn’t see the dismayed expression on his face as he saw the Kid reach down and pick up something off the ground. Quickly going to the safe, Wheeler opened it and sighed with relief when he saw everything was exactly how he had left it the night before. Shaking his head, he went to his desk and sat down, his voice quiet in the stillness of the room as he muttered to himself, “Guess Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones need to meet with an accident. And very soon.”

By unspoken agreement, Heyes and the Kid rode away from the office, but instead of returning to town, they headed for the mine and the area surrounding it. They rode slowly, looking at the ground for a possible trail left by the black horse. “Davis was right,” Heyes commented as he reined his horse around a small gully. “I sure wouldn’t want to track anybody through this at night.”

“Me either,” Curry agreed and then suddenly drew rein. He dismounted, studying the ground for a moment.

“See something?” Heyes asked, as he leaned on the saddle horn.

“Maybe.” The Kid dropped to his knees, looking ahead to the cluster of brush and rocks. “Davis was right about something else,” he said as he remounted. “They aren’t tracks like a shod horse would make. More like somebody covered the horse’s hooves with something.”

“Maybe rawhide. Indians do that to confuse anybody following ‘em.”

“Could be.” The Kid urged his horse forward and Heyes followed. They had just gotten to the entrance of one of the older mine tunnels when the blond held up his hand and brought his horse to a halt. “Shhh. Listen.”

Heyes was about to say he didn’t hear anything when his bay suddenly threw up his head, scenting the air. The Kid’s chestnut stretched out his neck and gave a loud neigh. It was answered by a soft whinny and the partners looked at each other. “Came from over there,” Heyes said and they walked the horses up to the opening in the hillside. Dismounting, they drew their guns as they cautiously approached the dark tunnel. Heyes went first, with Curry close behind. They hadn’t gotten very far when the tunnel widened into a large area and tethered in the middle was a black horse. He snuffled gently, his ears pricked forward in greeting.

“Hey there, fella.” The Kid approached warily but the horse seemed happy to see them, his nostrils flaring as he caught their scent.

Holstering his gun, Heyes went over to a pile of crates in the corner and lifted something up. “Kid, look.” He held up what appeared to be a length of material and when he opened it, they saw it was covered with glittering mica flakes. “There’s a cord at one end,” Heyes noted. He held it up thoughtfully and then smiled. “Remember how the horse’s tail looked like it was sparkling?” Then he looked at the horse for a minute and added, “You know, I think this is a wedding veil. When you were cleaning your gun the other night and I was reading the paper, there was something in there about a wedding dress and veil being stolen.

The Kid nodded. “That must have been tied on his tail. The moonlight reflectin’ off it would make it bright.”

“Yeah. Pretty smart. Look at these,” Heyes bent down and showed Curry something else. “These must have been tied around his hooves.” He held in his hands several pieces of white fabric with cords woven around the top.

“Well, now we know how he did it, what d’ya wanna do about it?”

“Nothing right now. Let’s just leave everything the way it is for now.” He walked over and gave the horse a pat on his nose. “Sorry, fella.”

Curry rubbed the horse’s neck as he said, “He’s probably lonely here by himself.” He looked at the horse thoughtfully and then continued, “We need to go back to town and ask about that stranger. Maybe he is the rider.”

Heyes shrugged. “I don’t know. Could be.” He turned to go and then noticed something leaning against the wall. He went over and showed it to his partner. “Could be Wheeler’s the shooter?” The rifle was obviously new and the Kid took it from Heyes.

“Somehow I have a hard time picturin’ Wheeler sittin’ up there in the dark takin’ shots at people.” He replaced the rifle where Heyes had found it. He looked at the other man. “But I have a harder time seein’ him ridin’ this horse through that canyon at night.”

“Me too.” Heyes led the way back outside and they mounted their horses, each of them taking note of the mineshaft in relation to the surrounding area.

As they rode back towards town, the Kid suggested, “Why don’t we talk to Davis. Let’s tell him we found the horse an’ ask if he knows who could be the rider.”

Heyes regarded him, a doubtful expression on his face. “You trust him? You’re usually pretty good about judging people, Kid, but I’m not sure about him, yet.” He added even after their earlier conversation..

“Like I said before, Heyes,” the Kid said with certainty. “Davis don’t have anything to do with this.”

“Okay, we might as well do it now.”

“It’s lunchtime, Heyes. Aren’t you hungry?”

Giving the Kid a look of exasperation, Heyes shook his head. “We can eat after we talk to Davis. We just had breakfast a few hours ago.”

Mumbling to himself, the Kid gave a disgusted sigh, and followed the bay down the trail towards Davis’ cabin. He was sitting outside on his porch when they rode up and he greeted them with a smile. “Hello, boys. Come on in.”

When they were seated around the table, Heyes said, “We found the horse.”

Davis was genuinely surprised. “You did, huh? Well, I gotta admit, I’m not much of a tracker. Where is it?” He didn’t miss the look the two partners exchanged and he couldn’t help a slight grin. “You two are kinda mistrustful, aren’t you?”

“We’ve got our reasons,” the Kid told him soberly.

Sitting back in his chair, Heyes looked at Davis. “We wanted to know if you thought Wheeler could be the rider.”

“Wheeler?” Davis gave an amused chuckle. “No, told you before he can barely stay on a horse.”

“You sure about that?” the Kid asked.

“I’m sure. Fact is, I don’t know of anybody ‘round here that could ride a horse over that kind of rough ground.”

“We found a rifle with the horse,” Heyes added.

“Never saw Wheeler with a gun, but that doesn’t mean he can’t shoot. Almost anybody around here is a pretty fair shot with a rifle.”

Heyes sighed. “What about somebody in town? Somebody who maybe didn’t want the mine operating?”

“No, I can’t think of anybody,” Davis replied, shaking his head. “Fact is, the town’s sufferin’ without the miners working. They’re not getting paid except enough so’s they can eat and the cooking’s all done at the camp. They’re not buying drinks at the saloon or playing poker.”

“Let’s just say Wheeler is behind all this, but he hired somebody to be the rider,” Heyes suggested. “Where could they be staying?”

Davis thought about it for a moment and then said, “Wheeler’s house is a ways from the camp. He could have somebody else staying there with him. It’s isolated enough that nobody would be riding by unless they were going to see Wheeler.”

“What’s the best way to get up there without attracting too much attention?” Heyes asked.

“You might be less noticeable if you went there on foot.” Davis got up and opened a drawer, bringing back a piece of paper and a pencil. He drew a few lines on the paper and showed it to them. “Here’s my cabin, then Wheeler’s office. You can ride up to here,” he indicated an area off to the right of the mine entrance, “And leave your horses in the trees. Then Wheeler’s house is just up this hill.”

The partners nodded and the Kid suggested, “Maybe we better get up there tonight. If there is anybody stayin’ there, we wanna catch ‘em ‘fore they leave to get the horse.”

Davis nodded and as they all got up from the table told them, “Well, let me know if I can help you boys out in any way.”

They left the cabin, climbed back into their saddles and made their way back to town. When they arrived at the livery stable, Heyes asked the owner, “You notice any strangers passing through here over the last few months?”

The older man shook his head. “No, only had one fellow stop here ‘fore you two got here. He was lookin’ for a job at the bank. Said he was good with figures an’ such. But when he heard about the ghost horse he seemed kinda spooked an’ only stayed one night.”

“Did you mention this to anybody?” the Kid asked.

“Yeah, I told the sheriff. But since he left town, there wasn’t no reason to think he had anything to do with it.”

“Okay, thanks anyway,” Heyes told him and they went over to the café for lunch and then sat out on the hotel veranda, passing the hours until supper.

“What’re we gonna do if we do find somebody up at Wheeler’s house?” the Kid asked as they relaxed in their chairs.

“I’m not sure,” Heyes admitted. “Haven’t worked that out yet.”

The Kid snorted. “Think maybe you could do that ‘fore we go up there?”

“I’m workin’ on it.” Heyes returned his partner’s doubtful look with one of confidence as he puffed on his cigar.

The Kid repeated his earlier question during dinner. “You work out a plan yet if we do find somebody up at that house?”

“I figure if they’re working with Wheeler then they must know what he’s up to,” Heyes replied. “That means they’re both cheating the owners of the mine. And that means the sheriff can arrest ‘em.”

Curry looked at him through narrowed eyes. “An’ we’re gonna walk into the sheriff’s office an’ tell him?” his voice reflected his dubious opinion of Heyes’ answer.

“We can always tell Davis. Let him deal with the sheriff.” Heyes finished his coffee unconcernedly.

The Kid grinned. “You finally agree Davis ain’t got nothin’ to do with it?”

Heyes shrugged and then gave Curry a smile, “Gotta go with my partner’s instincts.”

“What about our five hundred dollars?” the Kid asked. “Have you forgotten about that?”

“No, I haven’t forgotten about that.”

“Wait, let me guess. That’s the other part you haven’t figured out yet.”

“I will; don’t worry about it.” Heyes gave him a grin. “Don’t I always come up with a plan?”

“Uh huh.” The Kid’s expression made if clear he didn’t share his partner’s enthusiasm, but refrained from saying anything further.

After supper they returned to the hotel room to wait for sundown and their chance to explore Wheeler’s house.

Later, they rode horses up the trail that Davis had marked on the map and when they thought they had gone as far as they should on horseback, they dismounted and began walking.

“I still don’t see why we couldn’t have brought a lantern with us,” Curry grumbled, as he tripped over yet another root he hadn’t seen in the darkness.

Heyes peered ahead through the brush and then put a hand on his partner’s arm. “Shhhh, did you hear that?”

The Kid obediently halted. “Hear what?” he answered in a normal voice.

“Shhhh,” Heyes admonished him. “Keep your voice down.”

“Trust me, nobody else would be stupid enough to be walkin’ around up here on this damn hillside without enough light to see anything.”

The look Heyes gave the Kid was lost on Curry as it wasn’t light enough to see much more than mere shapes in the darkness. “Come on,” Heyes urged as he resumed walking.

They covered the next few feet in silence, trying not to lose their footing on the rocky ground. Curry was walking a few steps ahead of Heyes, when suddenly his feet sank down and he felt himself falling. The walls of the tunnel he found himself in muffled his startled cry and then abruptly he hit the hard ground. Immediately Heyes dropped to his knees and peered down into the pitch black hole.

“You all right?” he called down.

“Oh sure,” the Kid’s voice held a distinctly sarcastic tone. “I always end my day this way.”

“Well, I guess we found one of the old tunnels to the mine.”

“Now that we found it, how’m I gonna get out of it?”

Suddenly a new voice spoke behind Heyes, startling him into reaching for his gun as he turned. “No, you don’t, Mr. Smith.” Wheeler stood there, holding a gun on Heyes with one hand and a lantern in the other. “Pull out your gun, nice and easy, and toss it over there.” He indicated a spot several feet away. “Now, you’re going to join your friend Mr. Jones down in the mine.”

The Kid could hear the voices but as he peered up he realized that even if Wheeler came close to the edge with Heyes he wouldn’t be able to shoot for fear of hitting his partner. The jagged edges of timber obscured a good part of the opening and the dim light from Wheeler’s lantern was barely enough to see by.

Heyes carefully pulled his gun out of his holster with two fingers and flung it away, “We already know what you’ve been up to, Wheeler. My partner and I figured it out after we found the stuff you used to make it look like the horse was something else besides an ordinary black horse.”

Wheeler smiled and shrugged. “So what? It doesn’t matter. You two were poking around in the mine, got confused and lost your way. Happens all the time.” He gestured towards the opening the Kid had fallen into. “Go on; get down there with your friend.”

Shaking his head, Heyes made no move toward the hole. “I’ve written everything down, Wheeler. If we don’t come back to our hotel room, the sheriff’s gonna wonder why. Then when he searches our room he’ll find the note I left him, telling him all about you and your plans to cheat the mining company.”

“You’re bluffing.”

“Yeah? You think so?” Heyes put as much sincerity in his words as he could.

“I can go and get that note myself,” Wheeler blustered.

“It’s not there yet. I gave it to somebody to hold for me. Only if we don’t show up does the sheriff get the note.” Only the Kid could detect the slightly desperate tone in his partner’s voice.

Gesturing with the gun, Wheeler indicated that Heyes should get down into the hole. “You’re wasting time, Smith. By the time the sheriff gets your note, if there is one, I’ll be long gone. Now get down there.”

Deciding that he really had no other choice, Heyes carefully walked to the edge and called down, “Thaddeus? Seems Mr. Wheeler here wants me to join you.”

“Yeah,” Curry’s voice drifted up. “Think I figured that out for myself, Joshua.”

A moment later Heyes found himself sitting on the dirt floor of the mine as debris drifted down on top of him. They both looked up to see Wheeler holding the lantern aloft and peering down. “Be careful down there,” he chuckled. “A lot of accidents can happen in a mine.”

The Kid reached out a hand to help him up. “You okay?”

Nodding, Heyes brushed some of the dirt off his clothing. “You?”

“Yeah. But we’re gonna be wanderin’ around down here in the dark, you realize that?”

As he spoke, the dim glare from Wheeler’s lantern was fading away and they were left in complete darkness. Heyes fumbled in his pocket and a moment later the sharp smell of sulfur permeated the stale air as he lit the match. Holding it aloft, he frantically scanned the floor to find a piece of rotten timber they could use as a torch. The Kid found one just as the match flickered and went out. Lighting another, Heyes was able to get the piece of wood burning although it wouldn’t last long. Holding it aloft, he looked at his partner and realized the Kid still had his gun.

“I guess Wheeler’s not as smart as he thinks,” Heyes grinned. “He never thought to ask for your gun.”

“Yeah, I know. Good thing, ‘cos we might need it later.”

Heyes held the torch aloft and looked at the two tunnels stretching out before them. “Which way?”

Curry cocked his head for a minute. Then he determinedly struck off down the one to their left. “Remember when we found the place where he stashed the horse?” At Heyes’ nod he began walking faster. “I don’t think it’s that far from here. Mine tunnels don’t go in a straight line. If we can find the horse, he’ll be able to get us out of here.”

“Providing Wheeler doesn’t get to him first,” Heyes muttered.

“I think all Wheeler’s interested in is gettin’ out of town,” the Kid replied as they hurried along the tunnel.

“You think he believed what I told him about that note?” Heyes asked as they made their way through the dark passageways.

“I believed it,” the amusement evident in the Kid’s voice. “An’ I knew it was a lie.”

As they trudged through the mine tunnels, Heyes spoke up, “You sure you’re taking us in the right direction?”

“Yup, I’m sure.”

After what seemed like hours, the Kid turned to Heyes, a broad smile on his face.

Heyes sniffed the air. “Horse,” he said happily and they moved forward.

The gelding nickered to them as they approached and they wasted no time in putting on his saddle and bridle. Heyes mounted first and the Kid handed him the glittery things the horse had worn. Curry swung up behind his partner and Heyes handed him the horse’s “disguise”. Luckily the full moon was beginning to rise as they made their way out of the mind shaft and the horse automatically turned toward the canyon. With a little persuading, Heyes got him walking toward camp.

“Better keep him to a walk, Heyes,” the Kid suggested. “Not enough light to go faster.”

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“We’re gonna ride to Davis’ place and tell him about Wheeler, aren’t we?” Heyes didn’t answer right away and the Kid repeated, “Aren’t we?”

“No, we need to confront Wheeler so we can get our five hundred dollars,” Heyes insisted.

“How’re we gonna do that?”

“We’re gonna go to his office and tell him we know what’s going on. We’ve got the horse and the other stuff.”

“Wheeler can say he don’t know anything about it,” the Kid argued.

“Don’t matter. It’s what’s in his safe that’s gonna prove what he’s been doing.”

“I hope you’re right. And I hope we can get outta there before the sheriff starts lookin’ too close at us.”

Davis was just coming back from visiting with the miners when he saw a dark figure going up the steps to Wheeler’s office. “Who in the world would be coming to see Wheeler this late?” he muttered to himself as he watched the figure knock on the door.

Ducking down low so as not to be seen, Davis flattened himself against the wall of the office and listened. He heard Wheeler open the door and the other man speak, “I thought you wanted me to ride the horse again tonight?” he asked in a hushed voice.

“Get in here!” Wheeler said angrily and the door was quickly pulled shut. But the window where Davis was standing was cracked open and he heard Wheeler ask, “Did anybody see you? You’re not supposed to come here!”

“But the horse is gone!”

“Gone? How is that possible?” Wheeler’s voice sputtered as he spoke. “Where could it have gone?”

“I don’t know but it’s not there.”

It was silent in the office and Davis risked peering into the window. His face registered shock as he saw the identity of the other man and then watched as Wheeler hurried over to the safe. Quickly spinning the dial, he worked the combination and flung open the door. “Come on, we need to get out of here. If Smith and Jones find their way out of the mine…” His voice trailed off as he heard the door open and Davis stepped in.

The supervisor stared as Wheeler stood there, the contents of the safe clutched in his arms.

“So,” Davis said derisively, “It was you.” He turned to the other man and sneered, “Riley. Guess I didn’t know my men as well as I thought I did.”

Riley pulled his gun out and shook his head. “No, I guess you didn’t, Davis.”

“We’re wasting time,” Wheeler said. “We need to get out of here.”

“What’re we gonna do with him?” Riley asked, gesturing towards Davis.

“We’ll take him as far as the mine. Tie him up and leave him there. Somebody’ll find him before long.”

“I’ll get the horses,” Riley said and left the office and Wheeler began stuffing the ledgers into the canvas bag that held the mine payroll.

“Let’s go!” Wheeler grabbed Davis by the arm and pushed him out the door.

Davis tried resisting but stilled as he felt the muzzle of a gun digging into his side. He allowed Wheeler to drag him down the steps and asked, “What did you do with Smith and Jones?”

“If I were you, I’d worry about what’s going to happen to you,” Wheeler told him as Riley appeared around the corner with two horses.

They were all startled when they heard the sound of hooves and a moment later Heyes and the Kid were in sight. Wheeler pushed Davis over to Riley and cocked the gun he held, pointing it at the partners. “That’s far enough.”

Heyes pulled the horse to a stop and everyone stared at everyone else. “So it was you,” Heyes couldn’t help goading Wheeler.

“You figured it all out, did you?” Wheeler asked. “Well, it doesn’t matter now. Because you’ll be joining Davis in the mine.” He gestured to the other man. “Riley, the blond one still has his gun—get it.”

As the miner approached, Heyes could feel the Kid tensing up and he gave a minute shake of his head. “Not yet,” he murmured.

Suddenly Heyes drove his heels into the black’s sides and the horse lunged forward, striking Riley in the shoulder and causing him to fall to the ground. The Kid slipped off the rear of the horse and with a lightning fast movement drew his gun, firing at Wheeler’s gun, which went flying out of his hand.

Davis lunged at Riley, pinning him to the ground as Heyes dismounted and joined his partner. “Great,” he murmured, “Nothing like drawing attention to us.”

“That was my slow draw,” Curry hissed and then grinned as he twirled the gun twice before returning it to his holster.

Davis pulled Riley up off the ground as Wheeler stood there, too shocked to say anything. He was holding his right hand, whimpering with pain. “Who the hell are you?” he grit out between clenched teeth.

Heyes shrugged. “Just a couple of honest men who were trying to do an honest job, Mr. Wheeler.”

Rolling his eyes, Curry noticed that a group of men were slowly making their way out of the cluster of buildings around the camp. “Joshua,” he said quietly.

Davis took charge, issuing orders to one of the miners to get some rope and sending another one for the sheriff. Wheeler and Riley were taken back into Wheeler’s office where they were securely tied to chairs, and Davis began walking toward his cabin, gesturing for Heyes and Curry to join him.

Exchanging wary looks, they complied and just as Heyes was about to speak, Davis held up his hand. “First, I want to thank you two for figuring this whole thing out. But,” he gave them a wry grin. “I’ve never seen anybody draw a gun that fast.” Before either of them could respond, Davis continued, “I really don’t care who you are but the sheriff might be interested if Wheeler and Riley start talking.” He led the way into his cabin and shut the door and the partners exchanged uneasy glances.

Davis didn’t miss the nonverbal exchange and he gave them a grin. “Me an’ the sheriff are pretty good friends and we’ve spent many a long night playing checkers. Sometimes the sheriff interrupts the game to make his rounds and I spend a few minutes studying wanted posters.” He gave each of them a pointed look. “And there’s two in particular that come to mind. You know what I’m sayin?”

“Yeah,” the Kid grumbled. “We’re not gonna see our five hundred dollars, are we?”

Davis laughed. “I’ll do what I can about that. I’ll say you had to leave suddenly and you’ll contact me later about the money.”

Exchanging a meaningful look with his partner, Heyes then turned to Davis. “You should know Wheeler’s got two ledgers in that safe. I figure he had one to show the owners of the mine if they ever came around to check up on things. The other one shows what he was really doing with the money.”

“I’ll let the sheriff know he should get the combination from Wheeler and take a look inside.”

Heyes gave a short nod. “Guess we’ll have to trust you on trying to get our money for us.” He held out his hand. “Thanks.”

“Take the two horses out there and ride back to town to get your stuff, but take the long way around,” Davis advised as he shook the Kid’s hand. “Let me know where I can wire you, okay?”

They both nodded and quietly made their way outside and mounted the two horses. Nobody paid them any attention and they walked the horses slowly out of the camp, but not on the road directly leading to town. Several hours later, they had gotten their things from the hotel and left the other horses at the livery stable.

Several weeks later, Heyes collected the reply from their wire to Davis advising him of their location. The Kid waited patiently while he read it and then held out his hand, but Heyes crumpled the paper instead of handing it to him.

“Don’t tell me.”

Heyes sighed. “None of the money in the safe was Wheeler’s. It all belonged to the mining company. And the mining company says they didn’t hire us so they don’t owe us anything.”

“I told you not to tell me!”

“Come on,” Heyes took his partner’s arm and directed him towards the saloon. “Let’s get a beer.”

The Kid refused to budge as he stared at Heyes. “You got any money?”

Heyes grinned. “Maybe the eggs are free with the beer.”

Shaking his head, the Kid went with him. “Next time we take a job, let’s ask for the money first.”

Chuckling, Heyes led the way into the saloon.