Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Reply to topic
Share | 

The State of Colorado vs. Clementine Hale by Victoria Quynn

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins

Post The State of Colorado vs. Clementine Hale by Victoria Quynn

Clem's in trouble.  Can Heyes and Curry trust a couple old friends to clear her name, even if one of them is... Harry Briscoe?

Starring

Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry

Guest Stars:

David Ogden Stiers as Prosecutor Ambrose Bartholomew Briles

Robert Fuller as Sheriff John Cawley

Paul Fix as Judge Paul Douglas

Inger Stevens as Josie

Arlene Golonka as Marie

Mills Watson as Todd Martin

Michael Weatherly as George Rowe

Eric Christian Olsen as Jake Potter

Jim Davis as Jim Springer

Special Guest Stars:

Sally Field as Clementine Hale

J.D. Cannon as Harry Briscoe

Angus Duncan as Chester Brubaker

Very Special Guest Appearance:

Don Ameche as Diamond Jim Guffy

The State of Colorado vs. Clementine Hale
by Victoria Quynn

A very bright, very full moon sat high in the sky. It and shooting stars and a myriad of constellations produced an explosion of light, which brilliancy illuminated the darkness almost to a twilight – if not a daylight – appearance.

Beneath the canopy of meteor showers, a neat house sat near the road, surrounded by a picket fence. Curtains danced in the breeze and blunted the lamp light emanating from inside. The glow spilled out onto the porch.

Hard by the other side of the lane, hidden by trees, a man watched.

The door opened, and a petite, dark-haired woman stepped through the threshold carrying a bucket. She went to the railing and splashed the contents over the side. Looking up at the heavens, she watched nature's show for a few moments before walking back inside, closing the door behind her.

Still, the man watched.

Two hours later

Two horses with men aboard approached the hitching rail in front of the picket fence. The men dismounted and looked around, taking in their surroundings. Then, nodding to each other, they strode purposefully to the porch and climbed the steps. Knocking softly, they waited a moment until one said something, apparently in answer to a query from inside. The door opened and the same dark-haired woman stood in the opening. She smiled and started to speak to the two men.

Meanwhile

The watcher in the woods was rapt with attention as the horses approached. A broad grin spread across his countenance as the young woman spoke to the men. Soundlessly, he slapped his hand against his thigh in glee. Unfastening his horse’s reins from a low lying bush, he guided the animal slowly and noiselessly away.

Very early next morning

Eight men approached the house by the road, now dark inside. Stealthily, two went around to the back. A brace ran to the barn some fifty feet from the dwelling. Another pair took up position by the fence. The remaining couple ran across the road and into the woods opposite. Moments later, the latter two emerged from the woods, shaking their heads to the pair in front, while the barn brace silently returned and reported the same. The pair by the gate stood guard. The remaining four, one with a star on his chest, climbed the steps and knocked on the door.

"Sheriff Cawley and deputies here. The house is surrounded. Come out with your hands up. And no tricks. If we have to, we’ll shoot.”

The sheriff knocked again. "Open up, or we kick in the door.”

A light appeared in the window. The same dark-haired woman, clad in a robe and rubbing sleepy eyes, opened the door. Two deputies rushed past her into the house.

"Sheriff, what is this? What's going on?"

"Where are they, Miss Hale?"

"Where are who, Sheriff?"

"The two men who stopped here earlier this evening. And where are their horses?"

"You mean the two men who stopped to ask directions? I suppose they're on their way to where they were going. I further suppose they're riding their horses. Or rather," Clementine Hale allowed her tone to drip sarcasm, “Since it is 2:00 a.m., maybe they and their horses are fast asleep? And how dare you search my house without a warrant!"

"We have a warrant, Miss Hale.”

"A warrant at an hour when all decent folks are asleep?”

"I've always said you had spunk, Miss Hale. But harboring fugitives is a crime, not to mention probable aiding and abetting."

"Harboring fugitives? You have the wrong house!"

"No ma'am, we have the right house. Where are they?"

A pert nose wrinkled in frustration. "No one's here but me, Sheriff. You'd better have a damn good explanation for this!"

"Now, Miss Hale, no need to use that kind of language."

The two men inside concluded their search and joined the sheriff. “No one here but her, Sheriff. They must've gotten away. Probably restocked from her stores before they left."

Sheriff Cawley turned his attention from his men to Clementine. "All right, Miss Hale, one more time. Where are they?"

"No one's here, and no one's been here, save the two men who stopped for a few minutes earlier this evening to ask for directions." Clementine instinctively stepped back, only to have her arm grasped by one of the two deputies.

Sheriff Cawley eyed her. Gruffly, "All right, Miss Hale. Didn't want it to have to come to this, but you're under arrest. Please get dressed. We're taking you in."

Eyes wide and mouth agape, Clementine stood rooted to her spot for a few moments as the words sank in. Taking a deep breath, she strode to her bedroom, closing the door behind her.

Twenty minutes later

Clementine, now dressed, emerged from her bedroom. Taking one last look at her home, she extinguished the lamp and stepped out onto the porch, closing and locking the door behind her. Placing the key in her purse and pulling the drawstring up her arm, she faced the sheriff, who produced a pair of wrist irons.

Calmly, she remarked, "Surely those aren't necessary, Sheriff? It's not as if I'm going to run with you and all these deputies around."

"I'm sorry, Miss, but all prisoners must wear them."

Clementine closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and nodded reluctantly. Holding her arms in front of her, the irons closed around her wrists. She was led down the steps and half lifted into a waiting buggy.

Three days later

Hannibal Heyes stood at the counter in the telegraph office in Golden, Colorado, scribbling on a piece of paper. His partner, Jed "Kid" Curry, sat splayed on a bench next to the wall, his arms crossed and hat pulled low over his forehead. Heyes reviewed what he had written, and handed it to the telegraph operator.

The operator counted the words. "That'll be six dollars and fifty cents."

"That's highway robbery!"

"Would you like to rewrite it?"

With a sigh, Heyes shook his head and, reluctantly, handed over the money.

Without moving, Kid Curry asked, "Did you write a book, Joshua?"

Hannibal Heyes sat down beside his partner, who did not see the scowl Heyes sent his way. "Book? No. But Lom needs to know our plans for the next few weeks, and it gets wordy. Think you could have done any better?"

Pushing his hat back on his head with one finger, Kid admitted, "Probably not. But for that price, we could have gone to visit him."

"Maybe so. But we promised Clem a visit first."

Kid stretched and yawned. "You got a point there. Let's get that room and freshen up before dinner. Then I'm just goin’ to sleep – maybe for two days."

"I'll second that," Heyes leaned back. "Just don't want to move."

"Come on. The sooner you move, the sooner you get to soak your cares away."

"And my saddle sores."

Wearily, the pair rose. Heyes put his hand on Kid's shoulder as he followed him slowly toward the door.

"Mr. Smith! Wait!"

Heyes turned to face the telegraph operator. "Huh?"

"There's a reply coming in."

"Really? We weren't expecting one."

The man behind the counter spoke as he wrote, "Seems Sheriff Trevors had an urgent message waiting for you at the Porterville office, to be sent as soon as you got in touch."

Heyes and Kid glanced at each other and shrugged before striding to the counter. The telegraph operator handed Heyes the message, which he read silently before giving it to Kid, who examined it quickly and eyed Heyes worriedly. Both shared a silent look before they said, simultaneously, "Harry!"

Heyes picked up a pencil and started writing.

Two days later

The partners sat in the back of a mostly empty saloon, glumly nursing beers. They looked up, expectantly, every now and then as the screech of the batwing doors signaled each new customer. They exchanged silent glances, sighed, tapped fingers, fidgeted in their seats, and otherwise kept their eyes on their beers, which for the most part went untouched.

Suddenly, a familiar figure blundered through the doors and stopped, blinking as his eyes adjusted from the bright afternoon sun to the dimmer light inside. The ex-outlaws watched. Kid Curry rose and walked toward him.

Kid leaned in close, and sotto voce, said, "Harry, could you keep it down? We're tryin' to be discreet and all."

Harry Briscoe nodded. "Of course, Thaddeus, of course."

Walking back to their table, Kid returned to his seat quietly, while Harry pulled a chair out and sat, scraping the legs not so discreetly as he pulled it in.

Kid and Heyes stared at him in disbelief.

"Shhhh," hissed Heyes.

"What's all the fuss?" Harry asked in a normal speaking voice.

"Shhhhhh," now came from two ex-outlaws, while Heyes added in a whisper, "Keep it down, would ya, Harry?"

Harry whispered, "All right, all right. I got it, I got it."

Heyes and Kid exchanged a glance and synchronized roll of their respective brown and blue eyes before Heyes spoke, "Harry, did you see Clem?"

"Yeah, saw her a couple of times."

"And?"

"Boys, she's been in that jail five days now, so she's not exactly in the best of moods. But she's doing all right, considering the circumstances. She arranged to wire Sheriff Trevors about getting in touch with you two. Told her to just sit tight for a couple more days and she'd be outta there."

Kid shook his head. "Hate to think of Clem behind bars. Wish we could just ride in there and blast her out."

Heyes shot his partner a look. "But you’re not really thinking that, are you, Thaddeus?"

Kid met the gaze. "No."

Heyes turned again to the detective. "Thanks for going to see Clem, Harry. Did you get someone?"

Harry's chest puffed out, as a peacock about to strut. "Gents, not only did I get someone, I got THE someone!"

Kid's eyes narrowed. "Huh?"

All three men leaned in closer, their voices continuing in a low tone.

"Boys, I got your old friend, Lawyer Brubaker."

Kid's brow furrowed. "But he's in Junction City!"

Harry's visage brightened. "Nope, he just opened a new office in Denver. Thought that might make you happy."

Heyes nodded, his dimples in full glory. "Harry, that's wonderful! You done good!"

Kid sported a broad grin. "What about Diamond Jim?"

Harry's fist made a sweeping motion through the air. "Yup, he's on board. He'll wire the retainer to Brubaker, and they'll take care of the financial arrangements between them. Diamond Jim'll wait 'til this is all over to discuss repayment."

"Yes! For once things are workin' out our way!" Kid's excitement got a tad loud for Heyes, who shot him a warning glance. Sheepishly, "Sorry."

“Now we just have to meet with Brubaker,” said Heyes. “Harry, have you arranged a meeting?"

"Yup, he's coming out here tomorrow."

The dark-haired ex-outlaw leader sobered. "Good. Now we just have to get things moving."

Next day, early afternoon
A hotel room

“So, you saw Clem? How is she?”

Chester Brubaker, Esquire, counselor-at-law, met Heyes’ eyes, “Spending so many days in jail is wearing her down, Joshua. She’s spirited, sure – but, she’s beginning to lose hope.”

Kid observed ruefully, "Jail'll do that to ya."

Brubaker continued, "That's very true. Miss Hale waived a hearing until she had counsel, and I’ve moved for that tomorrow, and I’ll also petition for bail. Of course, we’ll be pleading not guilty."

Heyes spoke, "Of course! And we need to know in what direction we're going. Use all our resources the best we can – manpower, anyway. And I want to see Clem."

Brubaker laughed. "Joshua, hold your horses! You sound like the attorney!" Then, sobering, the lawyer continued, “Perhaps you could help me with the case somehow. We’ll just have to figure that out.”

Kid asked, "What about Harry and me?"

"Harry will be doing the detective work. He and I have discussed this. You can help Harry or me as needed."

Kid nodded. "Okay."

Brubaker pulled a tablet from his portfolio, and referred to it as he spoke. "Let's discuss the case. Miss Hale is charged with misdemeanor harboring of fugitives. This is actually good news, because the arrest warrant listed felony harboring, as well as misdemeanor aiding and abetting. They must not have the evidence to back up the original charges. Indeed, from what I've seen, their case is very circumstantial, and most judges would throw it out. This prosecutor, though, is pressing it."

Harry Briscoe, until now quiet and following along, spoke up. "Mr. Brubaker, in terms of investigation…"

"Harry, let's finish outlining the case before we get down to strategy," Brubaker cut him off. "As I said, this case shouldn't even be in court, and the prosecutor is really pushing it. There’s an election coming up, or he might have something else to prove."

Heyes rolled his eyes. "Yeah, a name. Probably wants to get to Thaddeus and me through Clem."

"Perhaps a name is what he wants. But I think even a beginning reader of law could see the cracks in this case."

"What do you mean?" Kid seemed fascinated.

The attorney regarded the trio. "Bottom line, they're pressing a case against this poor woman for harboring fugitives who are not even wanted in the state of Colorado, and on whom there are no federal warrants. Furthermore, they weren't even acting on behalf of authorities in Wyoming, where the fugitives are wanted. When you factor all of that in, the raid in and of itself is questionable and likely illegal. Any questions thus far?"

Heyes spoke, "Yeah. Did they have a proper search warrant?"

"Yes, there was a warrant, issued pursuant to the sworn affidavit of a bystander who swore he saw Heyes and Curry ride up to Miss Hale's home and speak to her. After taking her into custody, they executed the warrant by searching her home further, removing several items to be used as evidence."

"What did they take?" Heyes asked.

"A diary, and other odds and ends. It's the diary that they're highlighting. In it she has written several passages about you two, thereby establishing a relationship."

Curious, Kid asked, "What did she write?"

"Ultimately, it doesn't matter because we're going to argue it's fiction – a young woman's passing fancy on meeting two outlaws…”

Heyes interrupted, "But she does know us and has for a long time. If they wanted to, they could find at least a couple of people to testify to that."

"But that's just it. I really don't think they'll go to the trouble of seeking out witnesses. I've seen this type before. The prosecutor seems to be trying to keep it narrow and focused, but, as I said, he really doesn't have a case."

Heyes, again. "But how're you going to separate us from Clem?"

Brubaker smiled. "We'll acknowledge the long acquaintance, since that's the basis of the charges, but aside from that, we'll do our best to move the argument away from you boys and just try to refute what they throw at us, and throw a few tricks of our own at them."

Heyes shook his head. "That'll be a feat in itself, given our long friendship and her being accused of harboring us."

"Perhaps. But, we'll give it a try. Okay, next, they have the sworn statement of the bystander who says he saw you two ride up to her house the night she was taken into custody. The bystander swears he knows your descriptions and has personally seen you there before. Any truth to that?"

Heyes' and Kid's eyes met. Kid sighed and his shoulders slumped.

Heyes looked Brubaker in the eye. "Possibly."

Brubaker tried to suppress a look of surprise. "Care to explain?"

Heyes continued. "Last year, we went by Clem's to take her to Mexico with us. Some guy saw us, like now, and called out some friends of his. They said they watched Clem's house from time to time, hoping to catch us in case we showed up unexpected-like, with the aim to grabbing us and collecting and splitting the reward. Anyway, we left some of them tied up in the house. So, if it was one of those men, yeah, he saw us.”

Brubaker shook his head. "Okay, we’ll have to work around that. The details aren’t mentioned in the affidavit, although they should be to establish how he knows you. That’s another of the cracks in their case. We’ll prepare for this on a defensive mode; that is, we'll not bring anything up if they don't – we’re not handing them anything. We’ll defend every accusation they have the best we can. And we’ll hopefully stay one step ahead by investigating a few things they’ll probably not bother with.”

“But you don’t think he has any chance of winning this?” Kid asked.

“Probably not. But, I’m new here, and don’t know the people in the court very well. I’m presuming judges here won’t abide frivolousness, and we’ll just have to play the cards as they’re dealt. I suppose you can relate to that, Joshua?”

Heyes grinned. “Yes, sir, I think I can!”

“All right. I’ll file the bail petition tomorrow and see about getting Miss Hale released. It’s not something they should oppose. I know I shouldn’t have to say this, but you two need to stay here, and not come to Denver or try to see Miss Hale – at least not yet. I’ll send reports and instructions via Harry as soon and as often as possible. Otherwise, we’ll stay in touch by telegram. And one other thing – now and for the duration of this case, you two need to go by ‘Joshua’ and ‘Thaddeus,’ as we’re doing here, even when alone. Given the nature of the charges, we can’t have anyone accidentally overhearing your real names.”

The four men nodded agreement and stood, shaking hands, before Heyes and Kid saw Harry and the lawyer out.

Next day

In the Denver court house, Chester Brubaker sat at the defense table with Clementine Hale. Still wearing the same clothes she wore when arrested six days before, her light brown hair hastily pinned into a too-loose bun, she appeared tired and bedraggled.

At the prosecution’s table, a portly man with mutton chop sideburns ruffled through some papers.

The bailiff called the court to order, “All rise. The Honorable Judge Paul Douglas presiding.”

The justice briskly took his seat, and in a no-nonsense manner, waved the spectators to be seated. “The Court will come to order. Would the parties please identify themselves.”

“Ambrose Bartholomew Briles for the State, Your Honor.”

“Chester Brubaker for the defense, Your Honor.”

“Mr. Brubaker, I presume your client understands the charges against her?”

“Yes, sir.”

“How does she plead?”

Clementine glanced at Brubaker and then at Judge Douglas, answering him in a strong voice, “Not guilty, Your Honor.” She sat down.

Brubaker faced the judge. “Your Honor, my client is charged with a misdemeanor only and has already served six days in jail. I petition the court for bail so she can await trial at home.”

The judge turned to the prosecutor. “Mr. Briles, any objection?”

Briles stood in place. “Not in theory, sir. But, to deter Miss Hale from absconding, we require the bail set to represent a burdensome consequence. The State asks for bail to be set at $1,000.”

Brubaker was incensed. “Your Honor, that’s outrageous. Miss Hale was born, raised, and still resides in Denver, where she holds property. This is her home, and her only wish is to resume her life here as she knew it, before this nonsense arose.”

Briles countered, “Your Honor, Miss Hale has been known to associate with wanted men, surely something a proper lady in Denver or anywhere else would not do. The State does not oppose bail per se, but we would, quite frankly, prefer Miss Hale to remain in prison.”

The judge’s brow furrowed as he spoke, “On a misdemeanor charge, Mr. Briles? Isn’t that a bit far reaching?”

“Not in this case, Your Honor. Miss Hale associates with known outlaws. We contend that it is with Miss Hale’s help that these criminals have evaded capture and remained at large. They have escaped justice many times, and it may be presumed they could help the defendant to do likewise. In jail this would be more difficult; at her home, quite easy.”

“Mr. Briles, this is not a trial, so we’ll not go over the evidence here. However, from my brief review of your submission, I think you overstate the danger. I find it unlikely that Miss Hale, who is well known and liked in the community, will attempt the jail – or house – break, of which you are afraid. I order bail set at $50. The defendant will remain within the confines of the Denver city limits and report to Sheriff Cawley every other day. Mr. Brubaker, ensure your client is in court for all scheduled appearances. Anything else?”

Clementine threw a relieved glance at Brubaker, who addressed the judge.

“Yes, Your Honor. The defense requests a continuance of one month so we might look into refuting the ridiculous and false charges against my client.”

“Continuance granted. The clerk will advise the parties of the next hearing date, to be held not less than four weeks from today. At that time, gentlemen, please be ready to try the case. If further continuance is necessary, the parties should come to agreement and submit a joint stipulation to that effect for my signature. Court is adjourned.”

The bailiff called for everyone to rise as Judge Douglas gaveled and left the bench.

Clementine’s hands covered her nose and mouth as if she could not believe the judge’s ruling. She looked at the much taller Brubaker and said, simply, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now, let’s get started on your defense. We have a lot of work to do.”

Later that day
The boys’ hotel room

Hannibal Heyes lay reading. He looked up as Kid Curry excitedly entered.

“Joshua! A telegram from Brubaker. Clem’s out on bail!”

Heyes sat up and read the wire, grinning. “Great news! And Harry’ll be by tomorrow to discuss the next steps. Now the real ‘fun’ begins!”

Next day

In their hotel room, Heyes stood, leaning against the wall, while Kid perched on the footboard of the bed, and Harry sat in a chair.

The detective spoke, “You should have seen the prosecutor’s face when the judge set bail at $50. Joshua, I think you were right – the man wants to make a name for himself.”

“Really? What’s his name?”

Harry smirked. “Ambrose Bartholomew Briles.”

The dark-haired ex-outlaw’s eyes narrowed. “Hmm, he doesn’t have to make a name for himself – his parents already did it for him!”

Kid chuckled. “Hannibal, step aside. Your name is a mouthful no more.”

Heyes rolled his eyes. Turning to Harry, he asked, “All right, Clem’s out of jail, now what?”

Harry pulled several sheets of paper from his coat pocket. “Mr. Brubaker’s assignments; Thaddeus and I are riding over to Idaho Springs. That’s where the two men who stopped at Miss Hale’s place asked directions to. We try to find them and get them to come back and testify.”

Heyes held out a hand. “Can I see those?”

“Be my guest.”

“Anything interesting?” Kid asked.

Heyes strode to the window and looked outside, then back to the center of the room. Stopped. Turned. He was deep in thought; fingers drumming sporadically on his thigh. Kid and Harry watched and waited. He returned to the window, then back to where he started. Suddenly, his face lit up.

“Got something?” Kid asked.

“Yup. Harry, you go to Idaho Springs by yourself. I want Kid to do something else.”

“Now, wait a minute, Joshua. Those are Mr. Brubaker’s orders.”

Kid admonished the detective. “Harry, hear him out. It isn’t every day you get to hear a Hannibal Heyes plan.”

Heyes grinned. “That’s right, Harry. I want Kid to get statements from the people we were with that night. Insurance, in case anything goes wrong. Even though Mr. Brubaker is optimistic about getting this case thrown out, it doesn’t hurt to have a back-up plan.”

Harry sighed. “All right, so what’s the plan?”

Heyes started, “It goes like this…”

Three days later
Brubaker’s office

Clementine Hale, hesitantly, opened the door to the lawyer’s inner office. Brubaker was standing next to a bespectacled man with a dark beard.

“Oh, sorry to interrupt. I’ll wait outside…” Clem stopped short, taking a second look at the stranger.

Brubaker strode in her direction, taking her by the arm. “Miss Clementine Hale, I’d like you to meet my law secretary, Mr. Joshua Rembacker.”

Mr. Rembacker extended his hand. “Miss Hale.”

Her countenance brightened. “Heyes!”

The two embraced for several moments, before Heyes backed up and regarded her at arm’s length, his hands resting on her shoulders. “I’m so sorry this happened, Clem, and all because of us. We’re going to get you out of this.”

Clementine pressed her lips together and nodded, “A beard? Very distinguished.”

He chuckled. “It’s fake.”

She smiled. “No matter.”

They embraced again.

Brubaker loudly cleared his throat. “I don’t mean to interrupt…”

Heyes pulled away. “No, we do have work to do.”

Clem smoothed her dress. “Yes, indeed.” Glancing around the office, she asked, “Where are Kid and Harry?”

Brubaker motioned for them to sit at a conference table loaded with papers and books. “That is part of what we’ll be discussing.”

Simultaneously
Monument, Colorado

Kid Curry strode up to the bar of the Silver Queen Saloon.

“Beer.”

The bartender immediately brought the brew, which Kid downed in one gulp.

“Now, Sugar, you must be thirsty! Give him another, Jack, on me.”

Kid looked to his side as a pretty blonde joined him. She rested her hand on his.

“Thanks, Josie. You’re a sight for sore eyes.”

“Well, Sugar, I can say the same for you, ‘cept you’ll look a mite prettier when you’ve had a hot bath and gotten rid of that trail dust.”

Kid sipped a second beer. “Josie, that sounds real good, but I’m here on business and don’t have time to linger… Maybe next time.”

The saloon girl pouted. “Now, Sugar, that’s too bad, but I will hold ya to that ‘next time.’ What kinda business?”

“Actually, I need to talk to you, and Marie, if she’s around. Maybe at that back table. It’s kinda private.”

“’Course, Sugar, whatever your little ol’ heart desires, but we can get more private than that,” Josie winked and stroked Kid’s neck, before looping her arm through his and guiding him to the table. “Marie, too, huh? Lookin’ for some adventure?”

Kid blushed, and chuckled nervously, “Not that kind. Really, is Marie around?”

Josie leaned in close to the ex-outlaw, stroking his forearm with one finger. “She’s around, Sugar. But I hate to disappoint you, she really does favor that poker-playin’ partner of yours. But, of course, if a customer is payin’…”

Kid rested his hand on Josie’s. “Josie, honey, really, I do have business here and have to talk to both of you. It’s important. I’ll pay you both for your time, so would appreciate your findin’ Marie so we can get started.”

Josie frowned. “Oh, Sugar, you really do mean it. You can’t fault a girl for tryin’. All right, I’ll find Marie and be back lickity-split.” With that, she rose and walked suggestively upstairs.

Kid watched after her and chuckled to himself as he sipped his beer.

At the same time

Brubaker, Heyes, and Clem sat around the conference table.

The attorney spoke, “Joshua, while Thaddeus and Harry track down those two men in Idaho Springs, I’d welcome your input preparing our case.”

Heyes took in a breath. “Harry’s in Idaho Springs, but I sent Thaddeus on another assignment. A contingency plan, so to speak.”

Clem regarded him with a surprised look. “Heyes? You’re questioning Mr. Brubaker’s decisions? This is my life at stake here, whether I go to prison or not!”

“Now, Miss Hale, let’s hear what he has to say.”

That moment

Kid stood as Josie approached the table with an equally pretty redhead.

“Jack, three beers.” Marie sat down. “Honey, Josie tells me you have business with both of us. Now, that is different, but a girl could be interested. But, where is that dark friend of yours?”

The ex-outlaw smiled. “Joshua’s in Denver, also on business.”

Josie moved her chair closer to Kid’s, and rested against his arm. “Now, Sugar, you two boys are gonna get a headache what with all this ‘business’ you keep talkin’ about.”

Marie added, “Yeah, Honey, a girl could get jealous…”

Kid choked on his last sip of beer, but recovered quickly. “Uh, ladies, really, you’re, uh, gettin’ the wrong idea.”

The redhead leaned in on the ex-outlaw’s other side, “And what wrong idea is that, Honey?”

Kid swallowed hard. “Umm, ladies? Please, can we just talk?”

Incredulous, Josie extricated herself. “Sugar, I know you want something different, but just to talk?”

The flush returned to the cowboy’s cheeks. “W-well, l-ladies, uh, yes, j-just talk, at least right now.” Kid reached for the beer with his free hand and gulped it down.

Marie spoke, “Okay, Honey, whatever you want. We’re listenin’.”

Kid sighed and blew out a breath, trying to compose himself. He leaned forward, arms in front of him on the table. “What I need, if you ladies don’t mind, is for you both to sign statements I have in my saddle bags, which say my friend and me were with you that last time we were here. And, since they need to be notarized, we’ll have to do that before a notary public.”

“A – a what?”

“A notary public. It means we can use ‘em in court.”

Josie licked her lips. “That’s all, Sugar?”

Kid smiled. “Yup, that’s all. But, I do want you to read the statements first and know what you’re signin’.”

Josie winked at the blond man. “Neither of us reads real well, Sugar, so you’re just gonna have to read them to us, maybe upstairs?”

Kid gulped. “Well, umm, ladies, uh, I think the notary can read them to ya or answer any questions you might have – uh, on the statements, I mean.”

Marie leaned in close to Kid again on her side, while Josie mirrored the action. The redhead spoke, “Honey, I hope your partner don’t get jealous, but you’re lookin’ real cute when you’re flustered.”

Kid gently nudged each female away. “Really, ladies, I, uh, need to get this done and have to get back to Denver as soon as I can.” He gulped again, and shook his head, as if to clear it.

Josie sat up straight in her chair. “All right, Sugar. It’s kinda slow in here right now. If those pieces of paper mean that much to ya, we’ll go sign them and get ya on your way. On one condition…”

Kid looked at her, quizzically.

“You gotta come see me again real soon.”

“Sure,” Kid grinned. He turned to Marie, “And I’ll make sure Joshua’s with me.”

“Darn tootin’ ya will!” she declared.

Next morning

Clementine burst into Brubaker’s office, clutching an envelope, her visage beaming. Heyes looked up from his perusal of a large book.

“Heyes! A wire came in from Kid!”

“Clem, you’re going to have to remember to call us Joshua and Thaddeus.” He took the envelope.

“Sorry, Hey…Joshua,” she cringed as she corrected herself.

Heyes opened the envelope. “Thaddeus got the statements signed. He’s headed back, and will wire when he gets to Golden.”

Clem half-smiled, then frowned. “That’s great news, I suppose.”

“You suppose? Come on, Clem, this IS great news!”

“I know. But, I don’t want you to use them.”

Heyes took her hand in his. “Don’t worry, Clem, they’re for contingency only. With any luck, they’ll never see the light of day.”

Clem sighed. “Hey… sorry, Joshua, I hope you’re right about that. And I hope Harry is able to find those men.”

“Well, if we don’t hear from Harry by the time Thaddeus gets back, we’ll send him after Mr. Briscoe.”

Two days later
Idaho Springs, Colorado

Harry Briscoe sat at a secluded saloon table. With him were two men, one with sandy hair, the other darker. A conversation came to an end. All three stood and shook hands, Harry exited.

Striding quickly across the street, Harry reached the telegraph office and stepped inside.

Harry emerged from the telegraph office, a smug grin on his face.

Two days later

Chester Brubaker sat at his desk in shirt sleeves, hunched over a thick law book. Around him sat several empty cups. Heyes entered with two mugs of coffee and set one in front of the lawyer.

“Thanks, Joshua.”

“Sure.” Heyes sat down and watched Brubaker read. He audibly cleared his throat.

The attorney looked up.

The ex-outlaw leader turned law secretary regarded him with an expectant expression.

Brubaker sighed. “I know you want to help but we’re all caught up for the moment. Why not go take a walk? I’ll be preparing the next round of papers for the rest of the day.”

Heyes’ eyes widened. “More papers? That’ll be the third set!”

“And there’ll be several more sets before we’re through. You did want me to be as thorough as possible?”

“Of course!” Pause. “I guess I didn’t realize all the footwork and paperwork that goes into preparing a case.” His countenance lit up a little with a sly smile. “Imagine it was me and Thaddeus going to trial. We’d be in lock-up six months while you lawyers got everything straight.”

Brubaker chuckled. “Six months? Try a year!”

Two weeks later
Golden, Colorado

Harry Briscoe knocked on a hotel door. It was opened, first a crack, and then further, allowing him to enter. Kid Curry peeked his head out and looked both ways down the hall before closing the door.

“You can put the gun away now, Thaddeus,” Harry reminded the ex-outlaw.

“Oh, sorry, Harry. Must be goin’ a little stir buggy.” Kid deftly placed the Colt back in his holster. “The last wire was five days ago, and more of the same, ‘Sit tight, don’t draw any attention to yourself’ – which means no more than a beer or two here or there, lest someone sees me hangin’ around doin’ nothin’ for too long. Joshua knows too well I’m not good at sittin’ around waitin’.”

“Sorry, Thaddeus, but you can reserve your complaints for Joshua.” The detective fished a folded piece of paper out of his coat pocket and handed it to Kid. “There really hasn’t been anything more for you to do.”

Kid rolled his eyes as he read. “So now my partner wants me to come to Denver and wait around some more. Check in to a hotel and bide my time, be in place in case needed.” He looked up. “Harry, tell Joshua cleanin’ my gun got old two weeks ago.”

One week later

The bailiff called the Court to order. “This is the case of the State of Colorado versus Clementine Hale. All rise! The Honorable Judge Paul Douglas presiding!”

Judge Douglas took his place on the bench.

The bailiff continued, “State your names for the record, please.”

“Ambrose Bartholomew Briles for the State, Your Honor.”

“Chester Brubaker for the defense, Your Honor.”

The judge nodded. “All right, gentlemen, since I’ve heard nothing since the hearing from either of you, I presume you’re ready to try the case?”

“Yes, sir,” came from both tables.

“Good. A jury has already been seated. Mr. Briles, your opening statement, please.”

Brubaker and Clem sat down as Briles stepped out from behind the prosecution’s table and strode to the front of the jury box. The twelve men seated seemed rapt with attention, as the prosecutor’s cadence and enunciation echoed the best of revival preachers.

“Your Honor. Gentlemen of the Jury. I’ll be brief.

“Miss Clementine Hale might be known to some of you as a young woman of strong moral character, undisputed reputation, and high esteem; in short, a good neighbor. But, we will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that she not only associates with known outlaws – cruel and hardened criminals, highwaymen, men with $10,000 bounties on their heads, wanted dead or alive – who think nothing of robbing innocent citizens of their hard-earned life savings, and worse; but also harbors them, giving them succor, and creature comforts, while those who seek to keep and maintain the peace search high and low – exhaustively, unrelentingly – ultimately, only to fail. And why, you ask? Because those of Miss Hale’s ilk hide them out.

“And may I remind you, good gentlemen, that this winds up wasting the taxpayers’ money – again, hard-earned by the sweat and diligent toil of ordinary folk like you.

“Where does it end? Criminals must be caught. On that everyone, I’m sure, can agree. And those who hinder that aim, that wish of every good citizen to live in safety and in peace, must be punished to the fullest extent of the law. And, so, therefore, must Clementine Hale be punished for her misdirected and misguided actions.

“Thank you.”

Briles held the jury’s gaze for several long seconds before nodding and purposefully striding back to his seat.

Judge Douglas glanced at the defense table. “Mr. Brubaker?”

The defense attorney rose, and strode to the same position his opponent had just yielded, acknowledging the judge and jury in turn before starting, his conversational delivery less strident than Briles’, though no less purposeful.

“Your Honor. Gentlemen of the jury.

“Brevity might have served Mr. Briles well in his opening statement just now. Unfortunately, it was a well-rehearsed fabrication, however well-meaning.

“The real truth of the matter is that Miss Clementine Hale is a victim of circumstance, wrongly charged. Indeed, Mr. Briles had one thing correct – Miss Hale is a fine, upstanding, law-abiding, young woman of wonderful and undisputed good character. On that, I believe, you will all agree. Those who have known her all her life, here in Denver, would proudly testify to that fact, if necessary.

“But, we sadly find ourselves here. Sadly, because this fine young woman’s reputation is being sullied. And why? I posit the reason is votes. Yes, that’s right, votes. This is an election year, and Mr. Briles must run to maintain his position. And that, takes votes. So, he chooses to pursue headlines with scandal. And it takes the guise of arresting a fine young woman, throwing her into jail, and dragging her into court for no reason other than his own greedy ambitions – votes.

“Mr. Briles is correct in another sense, gentlemen – the taxpayers’ money IS being wasted, but not by lawmen fruitlessly doing their jobs chasing men who are not even wanted in this state, but by pushing a case of no merit. It takes time and effort to prosecute someone, and a LOT of money – taxpayer money.”

Brubaker walked back to the defense table, his long strides covering the distance in a few steps. He took up position behind Clem.

“You will find the State’s case so weak, they could not charge her with the felony they so desiredly sought. Therefore, she is charged with a misdemeanor, a much less serious offense, but one which the State still has to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt. And, gentlemen of the jury, you will see that they will not be able to do so, as the preponderance of the evidence will show Miss Clementine Hale innocent of all charges.”

Now, Brubaker placed his hands lightly on Clem’s shoulders.

“At that point, you must find her not guilty and let her go home and resume her life, from which she was so cruelly torn by these events.

“Thank you.”

Clem looked up at Brubaker with pursed lips, and he acknowledged her with a smile as he resumed his seat.

Judge Douglas seemed all business. “With all this talk of taxpayer money, we certainly don’t want to waste any time. Mr. Briles, please call your first witness.”

Briles stood. “Thank you, Your Honor. The State calls Todd Martin to the stand.”

Todd Martin, a fellow we have seen before, came forward. Per the bailiff’s instructions, he placed his left hand on a Bible and lifted his right.

The bailiff recited, “Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you, God?”

“I do.”

The bailiff, again, “State your name for the record.”

“Todd Henry Martin.”

Briles stepped in front of the witness box. “Mr. Martin, what do you do for a living?”

“I own a small ranch.”

“And where is your ranch located?”

“About ten miles outside of town down the Parker Road.”

“And what do you raise on your spread?”

“Cattle mostly, and my children have a small goat herd.” Martin grinned, which made some spectators laugh.

“Where were you on the evening of August 14th, last?”

“After an early supper with the family, I took up position in the woods opposite the Hale house on Parker Road.”

Briles nodded. “And why did you do that, sir?”

“I was waiting to see if any company stopped by.”

“And why would you be so interested in Miss Hale’s company?”

“I wasn’t interested in just any company she might have had – just particular company, a couple of fellas.”

Briles walked halfway to the defense table and partially addressed Clem. “But, surely Miss Hale is a respected member of the community. Why would you be so interested in her guests?”

Martin grinned again as he spoke. “Because I was hoping to catch some outlaws.”

Briles regarded Clem. “Mr. Martin, why would you be looking for outlaws at Miss Hale’s home?”

Martin also looked at Clem as he answered. “Because she knows Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry, and they’ve been known to visit.”

Some spectators gasped.

Briles turned back to Martin. “Surely you jest, Mr. Martin. Outlaws at Miss Hale’s place?”

“Yes, sir, seen them there before with my own eyes, a while back.”

“And what did you see on the night in question?”

“Two men stopped by and knocked on her door. Miss Hale answered and started speaking to them.”

“Continue, Mr. Martin.”

“Well, they were talking for a spell, and I got on my horse and rode out double quick to tell the sheriff.”

“Was that after dark, Mr. Martin?”

“Yes, sir, it was.”

“And how did you know the two men?”

Martin shifted in his seat, as if uncomfortable under the scrutiny. “Well, like I said, I’ve seen them there before. I rode out right quick back to town to tell the sheriff, and swore out an affidavit.”

Briles walked to the prosecutor’s table and picked up a document of several pages, which he then handed to the witness. “Mr. Martin, is that the affidavit you swore out?”

Martin reviewed the document for several seconds, then looked up. “Yes sir, it is.”

Briles retrieved the affidavit and handed it to the clerk. “Please mark this as ‘State’s Exhibit A.’” Then, turning back to the witness stand, he continued, “Mr. Martin, if it was dark, and you were in the woods, how were you able to see the men clearly?”

“I didn’t exactly see them clearly like in the daytime, but it was a full moon and fairly light. One had dark hair, and the other blond, and they fit the description of Heyes and Curry, and Miss Hale talked to them real friendly-like, so I knew it was them.”

“Thank you, Mr. Martin. And, how long ago did you first run into these outlaws, and under what circumstances?”

Martin shifted again. “Well, it was last year. Me and a bunch of fellas sometimes take turns watching the Hale house because we’d heard she knew Heyes and Curry. Thought if they ever came by, we’d catch them, split the reward. And, one day, they did, and that’s when I saw them.”

Briles nodded. “Thank you, Mr. Martin, for your testimony. You and your fellow citizens do the community a great service – watching out for rough and undesirable elements which we certainly don’t want here. Again, thank you.”

Briles strode back to his table, and nodded to Brubaker, “Your witness.”

Chester Brubaker stood. “Mr. Martin, your affidavit – which is sworn testimony – states that you did not clearly see the faces of these men whom you observed at Miss Hale’s home the night of August 14th. Is that correct?”

Martin cleared his throat before replying, “Yes, sir, that’s correct.”

“And why is that?”

“Well, they had their backs to me.”

“So, let me get this straight. You swore that you noticed two men fitting the general wanted poster descriptions of Hannibal Heyes and Jed ‘Kid’ Curry, from fifty feet away on a dark night, and didn’t see their faces? So, although you testify you’ve seen Heyes and Curry before, you’re identifying them only from a rear view in the dark of the evening?”

“Well, yes… But it was a full moon, and it was bright out.”

“Mr. Martin, we are not disputing that there was a full moon that night, and shooting stars as well, for that matter. It was a bright night; that’s not in contention. The Rocky Mountain News reports as much for that evening. Nor are we disputing your having possibly met Heyes and Curry before. What I find somewhat incredible is how you can definitely identify, without a doubt, two men whom you allege you saw once, very briefly, more than a year ago, in the dark, from fifty feet, from the rear, without observing their faces. Can you answer that?”

Martin’s shoulders slumped. “Mr. Brubaker, all I can testify to is in the affidavit, no more.”

Having betrayed no emotion to that point, Brubaker half-smiled. “Thank you, Mr. Martin, no more questions.”

Briles hastily stood. “Re-direct, Your Honor.” He walked hurriedly to the witness stand. “Mr. Martin, how long did you observe the outlaws, Heyes and Curry, when you first saw them last year?”

Martin seemed relieved. “Well, I didn’t just observe them. I was in their company for a few minutes.”

“Can you tell the Court the circumstances?”

“We let them know they were surrounded, and they said they’d like to make a deal, so the man who was in charge that day went in to Miss Hale’s house and talked to them. After a while, he called to us to come in because they’d struck a deal. It was a trick, and Heyes and Curry disarmed us and tied us all up after we went inside.”

Briles confidently walked to the jury box and looked right at several jurors in the front row as he spoke. “So, allow me to summarize. You were in their company and observed them for some very long minutes, at least enough to make a reliable identification…”

Brubaker jumped up from his seat. “Objection, Your Honor, Mr. Briles is leading the witness as to time.”

Judge Douglas responded, “Sustained. Mr. Briles, watch yourself, please.”

Briles briefly looked at the judge.

“Allow me to rephrase, Mr. Martin. You state, here and in your affidavit, that you were in the company of Hannibal Heyes and Jed ‘Kid’ Curry long enough, in your estimation, to be able to identify them without directly observing their faces, under full moonlight from the rear, and you’re quite confident, without a doubt, that it was them?”

Martin sat up straighter. “Yes, sir, Mr. Briles, that is correct.”

Briles smiled at the witness. “Thank you, Mr. Martin.” Then, to the judge, “No more questions.”

The judge glanced at Brubaker, who shook his head. “Mr. Martin, you may step down.”

Martin left the stand, and took a seat in the gallery.

Judge Douglas addressed the prosecutor. “Mr. Briles, you may call your next witness.”

Briles announced, crisply, “The State calls Sheriff John Cawley to the stand.”

After Sheriff Cawley took the stand and was sworn in, Briles started his examination.

“Sheriff Cawley, state your occupation, please?”

“I’m the sheriff of Denver.”

“And how long have you been in that position?”

“Four years.”

“So, you are well acquainted with Todd Martin?”

“Yes, sir, he often conducts business in my town.”

“And in what esteem do you hold Mr. Martin?”

“He’s a good man, Mr. Briles – never any trouble.”

“Thank you, Sheriff. Now, can you please relate the events of the early morning of August 15th?”

Sheriff Cawley spoke in a matter-of-fact manner. “Myself and seven deputies went to the Hale place upon suspicion of two wanted men being there, according to Mr. Martin’s affidavit. We reconnoitered the property and nearby woods, and found them to be clear. We then knocked on the door and Miss Hale answered. We entered the house to execute a search warrant, and questioned Miss Hale briefly before executing a warrant for her arrest on suspicion of harboring, and aiding and abetting known criminals. We took her into custody and later continued the search of the property.”

“And did your search yield anything?”

“Yes, sir. We found a diary with references to Heyes and Curry, and several items of men’s clothing, along with several sidearms and rifles.”

Briles went to the prosecutor’s table and picked up a book, which item he handed to Sheriff Cawley. “Sheriff, is this the diary you spoke of?”

Sheriff Cawley examined it. “Yes, sir, it is.”

“Thank you, Sheriff. Would you please read the passage circled on the page hand numbered 25?”

The sheriff thumbed through the diary, found the reference, and read. “January 18. Snow. I wonder how Heyes and Kid are faring up at Devil’s Hole. If it’s snowing this bad here, it must be really bad there. I hope they’re able to get to Cheyenne in time for us to meet up next week.” He looked up.

Briles moved in front of the jury box.

“Sheriff Cawley, have you read the rest of that diary?”

“Parts of it, sir. Not all of it.”

“Have you read enough to testify that there are several other references such as the one you just read, that refer to the names ‘Heyes’ and ‘Kid’?”

“Yes, sir, there are a number of such references.”

“Would you read the first page of the diary, Sheriff?”

Cawley flipped to the first page. “Property of Clementine Hale, Parker Road, Denver, Colorado.”

“So, Sheriff, as an officer of the law and this Court, would you please tell us your conclusion as to the diary?”

“Yes, sir. I would conclude that this diary belongs to Miss Clementine Hale, and that by references in it, presumably in her own hand, that she is referring to Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry as acquaintances, if not friends.”

“And, Sheriff, would you have any reason to doubt the veracity of those statements?”

“No, sir, I would not.”

“Why?”

“Because items in diaries are the personal thoughts of the owner.”

“So, Sheriff, to summarize,” Briles looked at Brubaker as he spoke, “and let me phrase this correctly the first time so Mr. Brubaker does not feel the need to object – you confiscated a diary under a legal search warrant from the Hale home that says it belongs to a Clementine Hale at that address, and in it are references to known outlaws, Hannibal Heyes and Jed ‘Kid’ Curry, possibly known to her and others as ‘Heyes’ and ‘Kid,’ and you conclude that, by that evidence, Miss Hale knows these two men, at least as acquaintances. Is that correct?”

“Yes, sir, it is.”

“Thank you, Sheriff.” Retrieving the diary, he handed it to the clerk. “Mark the diary as ‘State’s Exhibit B,’ please.”

“Moving on,” Briles returned to his place and lifted a sack onto the table. “Sheriff, what other items did you take from the Hale home under the search warrant?”

“Several items of men’s clothing and some firearms.”

Briles took several items from the sack and walked them over to the sheriff.

“Sheriff, are these some of the items of men’s clothing you spoke of?”

The lawman examined the items and nodded. “Yes, they are some of those we removed.”

“And what do you know of Miss Hale’s living circumstances?”

The sheriff looked straight ahead as he spoke. “From what I understand, Miss Hale is an unmarried woman who mostly lives alone. Her father stays with her when in Denver, but travels frequently on business.”

“So, it is possible that this clothing belongs to Mr. Hale. Why confiscate it?”

“Because Mr. Hale is portly, and this clothing is too small to fit a man of his size.”

Briles held up a pair of pants in the direction of the jury. “What do you conclude from these trousers?”

“That they’d fit men matching the descriptions on Heyes’ and Curry’s wanted posters, approximately 160 to 170 pounds. So I took them into custody.”

“Thank you, Sheriff.” Returning the items to the sack, Briles walked it to the clerk. “Mark these as ‘State’s Exhibit C.’”

Next, Briles reached behind his chair to pick up several rifle cases. The sheriff identified the firearms as those taken from the Hale home.

Prosecutor Briles then handed the witness to the defense.

Chester Brubaker strode to the clerk’s desk, where he rummaged in the newly marked sack of clothing. Removing two pairs of pants, he walked to the witness stand. “Sheriff, please examine this first pair of trousers, which you already testified about. You said they appear to be for a smaller man than Mr. Hale? I concede you’re no textile expert, but would you please give your honest opinion, as a man who wears and is therefore familiar with men’s clothing, as to the condition of the fabric of these trousers?”

Briles jumped up. “Objection, Your Honor. Speculative.”

“Overruled. Mr. Brubaker has already conceded Sheriff Cawley is not a textile expert. You may answer the question, Sheriff.”

Briles sat down, looking somewhat angry.

The sheriff gave the pants a thorough, thoughtful, inspection, before speaking. “The fabric appears worn, in some areas.”

“Thank you, Sheriff. Could you conclude, perhaps, again, not as a textile expert, that the pants might be very old? What I’m looking for is, would these possibly be old enough for an older gentleman, such as Mr. Hale, to have worn when younger, and thinner?”

“I’m not sure how old they are, but… Maybe.”

“Thank you, Sheriff. So, there is some doubt in your mind as to whether a much thinner man, such as Heyes or Curry, might have recently worn these?”

The sheriff hesitated. “Yes, there is.”

“Thank you, Sheriff.” Brubaker held aloft the second pair of pants he had removed.

“Just for the record, and for comparison’s sake, this is another pair of trousers removed from the Hale home by the sheriff.”

He turned again to the witness.

“Sheriff, continuing in the line of questioning where we concede you are not a textile expert, but are testifying strictly as a man familiar in that general capacity with men’s clothing and as the executor of the search warrant in this case, would you please inspect these trousers and tell us your impressions?”

Briles again jumped up, but was waved to his seat by Judge Douglas.

The sheriff looked at the judge, who nodded.

“These are much larger. The fabric isn’t worn at all. They look fairly new.”

Brubaker spoke, “And it is your presumption that these belong to Mr. Hale?”

“Yes, sir, it is.”

“Thank you.” The defense attorney took the trousers.

“Sheriff, having been in office for four years, I presume most of the inhabitants of the area are well known to you?”

“Those who’ve lived here for a while.”

“Is Mr. Hale well known to you?”

“Yes.”

“And what is his general reputation?”

“Mr. Hale is a good man, very fond of his daughter, a shrewd businessman, who is away much of the time.”

“And how would you describe Mr. Hale’s attitude toward money?”

The lawman raised an eyebrow. “Mr. Hale is considered to be parsimonious.”

“So, would you say it is reasonable for a parsimonious man to hang on to items for which he has no further use?”

“Maybe.”

“And, is it reasonable, in your opinion, that the smaller, worn trousers that you inspected first, might belong to a man who wore them years ago when he was thinner, but hasn’t disposed of because of a tendency towards parsimony?”

The sheriff again raised an eyebrow. “Yes.”

“Thank you, Sheriff.” Brubaker returned the pants to the sack, and retrieved the diary from the court clerk. “Sheriff, conceding the diary does belong to Miss Hale, is it at all possible that the references to a ‘Heyes’ and ‘Kid’ are, at best, hearsay, as to being actual references to known criminals, Hannibal Heyes and Jed ‘Kid’ Curry?”

“Yes, sir, that’s possible.”

“And, further, is it possible that such references are fiction – flights of fancy into the so-called romanticism of the outlaw kind, of a somewhat impressionable young woman, who might have written this years ago, given there is no year attached to any of the dates in this diary?”

The sheriff hesitated before speaking. “Yes, sir, I suppose it is.”

“So, Sheriff, is it your testimony that there is at least a possibility that references in that diary to known criminals are fiction at best, and hearsay at worst, which hearsay is not admissible into evidence?”

The sheriff paused again. “Yes, sir, that is my testimony.”

The defense attorney smiled at the jury. “Thank you, Sheriff.”

Brubaker walked back to the defense table. “Your Honor, the defense moves to strike the diary from evidence, as hearsay.” He offered papers to the bailiff, who handed one set to Briles and another to the clerk.

Judge Douglas regarded the lawyer for the defense. “Mr. Brubaker, I’ll review your argument. Mr. Briles, if you’d like to respond, please have the papers to the clerk by tomorrow morning.”

Briles responded, his expression one of annoyance. “Yes, sir.”

Brubaker asked, “Sheriff, why did you remove the weapons from the Hale home?”

“It’s normal and customary to confiscate any and all weapons in executing a search warrant, sir.”

“So, they have no bearing on this case but to have been taken in the ordinary course?”

“That’s correct, sir.”

“And, if Miss Hale is found innocent, would the weapons be returned in the normal course?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Thank you, Sheriff. One last item. You previously testified you executed an arrest warrant on Miss Hale under suspicion of felony harboring, and possible aiding and abetting known criminals, yet she is charged only with misdemeanor harboring. Why is that, Sheriff?”

“That’s a matter for the prosecution.”

“Is it possible that the State did not have enough evidence to bring actual charges of aiding and abetting known criminals?”

“Yes, sir, it is possible, but I have no direct knowledge of that.”

“Thank you, Sheriff. No further questions.”

The judge looked at Briles, who shook his head.

Judge Douglas turned to the witness. “Sheriff Cawley, you may step down.”

The sheriff left the stand.

“Mr. Briles, please call your next witness.”

Briles stood. “The State rests, Your Honor.”

“Thank you, Mr. Briles. We’ll adjourn for lunch and resume at one o’clock.” He gaveled as everyone rose, and left the bench.

Last edited by royannahuggins on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down