Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Rascals - Part 2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Rascals - Part 2 Empty
PostRascals - Part 2

Starring

Rascals - Part 2 Duel_a11
Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry

Guest Starring

Rascals - Part 2 Bright11
Brighton Sharbino as Kathy McCarthy

Rascals - Part 2 Mazzel11
Joe Mazzello as Thad McCarthy
& Brad Renfro as Tim McCarthy

Rascals - Part 2 Jared_11
Jared Padalecki as Bill McCarthy

Rascals - Part 2 Mary_s11
Mary Stuart Masterson as Jane McCarthy

Rascals - Part 2 Daniel11
Daniel Craig as Seth

Rascals – Part 2
by Nightwalker

Kathy seemed to know the tunnels pretty well.  Self-confident, she took over the lead and guided them through the hillside.  Sometimes they had to climb over rock debris where a wall or the ceiling had given way, but they went on at a good pace.

Rascals - Part 2 Pic_910

Heyes was always close behind his friend and watched him alertly.  Jed steadied his walk by sliding his right hand along the wall, but didn’t show exhaustion or a change of his state.

Eventually the walls retreated and the small group found themselves in a wide part of the cave, where the mine tunnel ended.

They reluctantly strode into the echoing cavern and looked around, the kids obviously scared.

“Why is it dark?” Tim asked.  “Is the light hole blocked, too?”

Thad’s eyes widened in fear and his lower lip trembled suspiciously.

Heyes laid his right arm around the boy's shoulders.  “Don’t worry.  I bet it’s just night by now and when it’s dark outside, only a little light can shine inside.  Let’s take a rest and spare our light.  We don’t know if we’ll need it.”

The Kid had strolled away and explored the natural cave.  Now he returned with bright shining eyes and a happy smile on his face.  “It’s amazin'!  There are more tunnels at the far side and in some of ‘em the walls glitter!  Can we check ‘em out?”

Heyes shook his head and returned the smile.  “Tomorrow we’ll have light in here, Jed.  Let’s go to sleep for now, huh?”

He checked on his partner, as well as the kids, before they turned out the light.  Heyes laid awake in the darkness for a while, his eyes cast to the ceiling.  After a while he noticed a slightly brighter place where faint moonlight seeped in and covered them all in its silvery rays.  A brief smile lit up his face as he turned on his side towards his partner.  He studied him a while, his eyes filled with warmth and concern before he closed his eyes, too.

-o-o-o-

In the morning, they shared a meager meal.  There was no wood around to start a fire so all they had was some beef jerky and water from the canteen.

After breakfast they explored their surroundings.  The boys – including Jed – strolled around and stuck their heads in every hole they found.  Jed supported Tim, who still had problems in handling his makeshift crutch.  Judging their lively talk and laughter, they seemed to get along pretty well.

Meanwhile, Heyes examined the ceiling and the walls.  In the light of the day he saw that Kathy was right: the hole was high above the ground and it was pretty narrow, too.  Heyes stared thoughtfully up the walls.

Footsteps told him that Kathy was approaching him from behind.  She stepped beside him and followed his glance.  She had been surprisingly silent since they had left the site of the accident.

“You were right,” Heyes said.  “None of us would be small enough to slip through that hole.  The only one who had a chance is Thad.”  He shook his head and pursed his lips.  “But we can’t reach it.  We need a rope at least...”

“Doesn’t look good, huh?” she asked him and paused.  “Will we... I mean... We won’t...?”

He turned around, laid his hand on her shoulder and smiled at her. “Oh no, Kathy, we won’t!  We’ll get outta here – all of us.  I’m already working on a plan.  And my plans are in a league of their own.  Does Thad know the area?  Would he find his way home, once he’s outta here?”

Kathy nodded.  “Sure, he would.”

Heyes thoughtfully shoved his hat back on his head, cocked it and studied the ceiling once more.  “Then we just have to get him up there.”

“Just!?”

“Just.  And I guess I already know how we’ll do it.  I just have to convince my friend that it will work.”

“What happened to him?”

Heyes sighed and faced the girl again.  “I’m not sure.  Must have been the bump on his head.  I've heard of that before.  He lost his memory and, in his mind, he’s about eight years old.”

“How’s that possible?  I mean, he’s tall and all.”

“I don’t know, Kathy.  I just hope he'll return to his old self again, and I sure hope it'll be rather sooner than later.”

“Why do you know so much about it – what he’s thinking and all?”

“We've known each other for a long time, Kathy.  There was an accident.  I remember the day it happened, just like it was yesterday.”  Heyes watched her for a while in silence.  As he noticed her curious and determined glance, he sighed and continued.  “We grew up together, on neighboring farms.  It was a hot summer day and we, and our friends, were playing sheriff and outlaws.”

A bright smile melted the serious look on Kathy’s face and her stance relaxed.

“Thaddeus and I were on the run with two of our friends, hunted by half a dozen others, and we were having a real good time.  We had a good head-start, and I led them to a perfect hideout.  In the end, we were cornered in a cave and had a pretty good standoff with our pursuers, throwing stones and clumps of dirt at each other, yelling and laughing, until one of them accidentally hit Thaddeus’s head.  

He made a wrong step, broke through a rotten board and fell into an empty well shaft.  When he disappeared, the game was over immediately.  All of our friends were in a hurry to get outta there fast,” Heyes scoffed, and his eyes lost their focus.  “Just get into trouble, Kathy, and you’ll learn who your true friends are.”

A question turned up in the young girl’s eyes, but Heyes only shook his head and continued.

“Thaddeus was scared to death.  I tried to get him out of his trap, but couldn’t get down to him.  The shaft was too deep, and the walls not stable enough to climb them.  So, I left him to get someone to help.  My father was working on a fence close by.  He didn’t ask long questions, just flung himself on his horse, hauled me up and went to rescue Thaddeus.  My dad only needed an eye’s blink to assess the situation.  Secured by his lasso, he went down the narrow shaft and returned to daylight with Thaddeus in his arms.  Poor Thaddeus was unconscious, but not seriously hurt, and I was so... happy and relieved when he was back with me again.”

“You must have been scared, too,” Kathy said.

“I guess you’re right, Kathy.  Getting him into trouble with no chance to get him out again taught me a lesson.  Well, not enough of a lesson considering, and definitely not the kind of lesson our parents had in mind.  They were everything but amused about our adventure and its outcome for my friend.  No explanation was asked for or heard, everyone was scolding me, ignoring the fact it was an accident mostly.  You know how parents can be.”

Kathy confirmed his words with a brief nod.  Obviously, she understood pretty well what he was talking about.

“'That will have consequences, young man,'” Heyes resumed, mimicking his father.  “'You’re old enough to understand the meaning of responsibility.  You ought to use your brain for something other than mischief!  If I can’t get common sense in your stubborn mind, maybe good, hard work will!'”  Heyes paused for a moment before he switched back to his normal voice.

“I’ll never forget the disappointed look on his face, that stern voice.  I knew it was the busiest time of the year and that they needed my help, so I thought he wouldn’t go too hard on me.  I was wrong.  I had to do my part of the work on our farm and after that I had to go over to Thaddeus’ place and do his chores, too.  My father swamped me with work, so much that I fell into my bed dog-tired every evening while my friends were enjoying their spare time.  There was no time left for thinking up smart plans anymore for the next couple weeks.”

“That must have been pretty hard on you, huh?”

“You bet!  That was the longest summer of my life,” Heyes moaned.

“So, he thinks he’s back then and that’s why he called you uncle?”

“Yeah, for some reason I remind him of my father.”  Heyes' eyes drifted into the middle distance.  “It’s easier to play along with that than trying to convince him of something he can’t understand right now.”

“But why do you use so many different names?  Thaddeus and Jed and Han and Joshua?”

Heyes' eyes fixed on her again.  “Eavesdropping isn’t ladylike, is it?”

“But very instructive.”

Heyes rolled his eyes, but then he grinned.  “Well, it’s a long story.  Let’s say it’s a kind of game, alright?”

“Come on, stop kidding me.  I’m not that stupid!  You’re not playing any games.  You don’t use your real names ‘cause you don’t want anyone to know them.  Like them outlaws and detectives in the dime novels.”

“Dime novels, huh?  Now, that’s reading for a girl of your age!” Heyes told her sarcastically and lifted his brow.  “But then you should know that, even if you were right, I wouldn’t tell you – maybe for your own good, maybe for mine.  Secrets are not meant to be told to anyone.  That’s why they're called secrets.”

Kathy lowered her eyes and blushed.

Heyes laid his hands on the girl’s shoulders and bent down to catch her eyes.  His voice was serious when he continued.  “Listen, Kathy, there are a lot of people out there using different names and all of them have their own reasons – good or bad.  Never ask one of them, for that can bring big trouble on you, alright?”

“Alright,” she replied reluctantly.

“Look, if we were bad guys, would we have protected and helped you?”

She shook her head with a sheepish look on her face.  “I guess not.”

Heyes smiled at her.  “So, you know we won’t do you any harm.  What else is important to know?”

“Everything – just for knowing it!” she said and beamed at him.  “But I won’t ask you again.”

“You’re one who always has to have the last word, huh?”

“That’s right!” she answered with a grin.

“Me, too.”  He winked at her and turned around, heading for his partner with a determined look on his face.

-o-o-o-

“It won’t work!” the blond ex-outlaw complained.

“It will work!” his partner insisted.

“No!”

“Sure, just give it a try!”

“No, it–”

“Jed, do you trust me?”

Blue eyes and brown eyes locked.

“I sure do, but–”

“Jed, shut up!”  Heyes cut him off.  “You never were that stubborn when you were a kid!  You were such a nice little fella!  Everybody said so.”

Jed Curry frowned and pouted.  “But you’re way too heavy!  You'll hurt me!”

Heyes rolled his eyes, took his hat off and ran his left hand through his hair.  Then he slapped the hat back on his head, paced a few steps and whirled around to face his partner again, pointing his finger at the blond’s chest with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

“No, Jed!  It’s a trick!  You really can do it, if you just try!”

“A trick!?” the Kid asked curiously.

Heyes nodded eagerly.  “Yeah, yeah.  A very special and secret trick.  I might reveal it to you, if it works!”

“Yeah?” the blue eyes sparkled.  “I'll know and Han won’t?”

Heyes flinched.  “I wouldn’t put it that way, just... well, first give it a try and let’s see if works!”

He ushered Jed straight under the hole in the ceiling.

“Put your head down and don’t look up – it’s important!  Spread your legs a bit, angle your knees... Yeah, that’s fine.  Now, take a good stand and just keep in balance.  I’ll do the rest, alright?”

“Alright!” Jed confirmed.

Quickly Heyes removed his boots.  With a spring in his movement, he took two fast steps, jumped and stood a blink later with bare feet on Jed’s shoulders, trying to keep his balance.

“Easy, Jed, easy,” he soothed him.  “Yeah, that’s right, you're doing great, just keep steady.”

He gestured towards Kathy, who raised her little brother as high as she could with Tim’s help.  Heyes grabbed him, fighting for his balance.  Jed groaned.

“It’s alright, just hold on...”  Heyes pushed the little boy upwards.  Thad reached up, grabbed a root which hung down through the hole and kept hold.  With Heyes pushing from below, he hoisted himself up and slipped out of the cavern.

His siblings applauded and hollered.

“We did it!” Heyes exclaimed, a smug smile on his face.  “All we have to do now is wait!”

Curious, Jed raised his head, changing his position.  Heyes lost his balance and dropped hard to the ground.  Jed toppled over and broke his fall by a roll.  In the end they lay next to each other on the ground, laughing.

“I never thought it would work!” Jed gasped.

“It was the plan of a genius!”  Heyes praised himself.

Jed chuckled.  “That’s what Han always says.  It’s just that he isn’t always right.”

“But you always agreed!” Heyes said, perplexed.

“’Cause he feels better then!  He’s my friend.  I don’t like him being sad.”

Heyes narrowed his eyes and shook his head.  “You’ve got much more of a schemer in you than I thought, Jed.”

-o-o-o-

As they passed the time until Thad’s return, Heyes checked on the wounded and after that settled down at one of the walls.

Kathy sat at the far side of the cave, pondering.  The look on her face showed worry and doubt.  Heyes watched her with concern in his eyes, his own face thoughtful.  Then his face lit up and a smile appeared on his face.  He reached for his saddlebags and produced a tattered book.  His motions casual, he rose, walked over to her and sat down beside her.

“We’ve got a lot of time to wait, Kathy.  It would pass faster if you read for us.  I guess I’ve got something better for you than dime novels.  Maybe you’ll like it.”

She accepted the book with a curious look.  “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,” she read aloud.

Heyes smiled at her and nodded.  With a gesture he invited her to go on.

She continued, “Most of the adventures recorded in this book really occurred...”  Her voice sounded a bit weak and uncertain, and sometimes she stumbled over words, but the longer she read her confidence grew and gradually she lost herself in the story.

Heyes leaned back again and relaxed, listening to her juvenile voice trailing her way through unknown words, and watching his partner.

Jed kept Tim company again.  They compared a selection of stones they had collected earlier that day, sticking their heads together and laughing.  Now and then Jed raised his head with a thoughtful look on his face.

Every time it happened, Heyes sat up expectantly, just to sink back again when his partner just shook his head and focused on his new friend again.

Shadows wandered over the ground.  Several hours had passed by since Thad’s escape.  The sun stood high above the hole when it suddenly darkened.

“Hello?  Someone in there?” a male voice called from above.

“Pa?  PA!  We’re here!”  Kathy jumped up while Tim struggled to his feet with Jed’s help.  “We’re here!  Can you get us outta here?”

“Easy, Kathy, easy.  That’s what I’m here for.  No need to be scared anymore!”

“But I’m not scared!  Joshua and... and Jed are with us.  Will we all get outta here?!”

“Sure, Kathy.  Keep calm.  Joshua and Jed – are these the men Thad told me about?”

She exchanged a brief glance with Heyes and smiled.  “Yes, they are our friends.  They helped us.”

“This is Joshua,” Heyes chimed in.  “Nobody’s hurt seriously, but Tim has a broken leg and my partner’s arm is fractured, too.  Neither of them can climb.  If you’ve got a rope, I’d suggest that I secure it around them, to pull them up.  Let’s get the children out first.  I’ll follow them once I’ve trussed up my partner and help you get him up, too.”

“Alright, we’ll do it your way.  Now step back and take cover.  I’ll widen the hole so we can get you out – all of you.”

-o-o-o-

When Heyes reached firm ground, a slender man of about his own age extended his hand and helped him up.  He had dark hair and friendly brown eyes.

Rascals - Part 2 Pic_1010

“Bill McCarthy,” he introduced himself.  “I suppose you’re Joshua?”

“Yes, I’m Joshua Smith.  Thanks, Mister McCarthy,” Heyes replied.

“Bill, and that’s my wife, Jane.”  Bill gestured towards a blonde woman of about the same age.  She stood a few yards away beside a buckboard hugging Kathy and her brothers all at the same time.

Heyes nodded at her and then grasped the rope, whose other end was safely tied around his partner’s chest.  Bill smiled at him and grabbed it, too.  With combined effort they dragged the sturdy blond out of the cave.  Heyes released a sigh of relief when eventually all of them were under the open sky again.

He untied Jed, brushed the dust off his clothes and rested his hand on his shoulder.

“You alright Jed?” he asked him.

“Yeah, I'm alright, 'cept my arm hurts.”

“When we’re back at our place, Jane will have a look at it,” Bill offered.  “She’s pretty much of a nurse by now.  There’s always something to fix when you have three children this far out of town, mister...?”

“You can call him Jed,” Heyes chimed in.  “He got a blow to his head and he’s not quite himself right now.  But he knows the name and won’t be any trouble.  If it’s alright with you, we’ll talk later.”

Bill addressed him with a quizzical look, but nodded acknowledgment.

Riding in the wagon, they drove to a small farm only a few miles away.  House and yard were in good shape.  The property was small, but large enough to host and feed the small family.

Jane was busy preparing a meal, helping the children change and get cleaned up while Bill cared for horses and carriage.  Heyes and Curry freshened themselves up, and then they all met for an early supper.

Afterwards, the blonde woman treated the injuries and replaced the makeshift dressings with proper bandages, with Heyes giving her a hand.

Due to the commotion of the previous day, the children were sent to bed early.  Jed complained about dizziness and turned in early, too.

Now it was time for Heyes to fill in Jane and Bill about the occurrences.

“You know it was a long, hot day.  That’s why me and my partner decided to rest in the mine.  I don’t know what spooked our horses, maybe preliminary tremors or something, but they broke free and ran away.  We weren’t sure what to do next, didn’t know the terrain or where to turn to.  These boots are fine for riding, but awful for walking, you know.  We were still considering our options when the kids turned up all of a sudden.  

To be honest they gave us a bit of a scare since we didn’t expect to meet someone in there,” Heyes admitted with an embarrassed smile.  “We were still introducing ourselves, as the earth started shaking.  Then the ceiling came down and blocked the exit, burring Thaddeus and they boys underneath a heap of rubble.”

Jane’s eyes widened in fear, but Heyes quickly placated her.  “Don’t be scared, we all got here safe and sound, Jane.  And your kids are really something to be proud of.  Kathy never got discouraged and cared very well for the boys; she gave them an example of boldness and true grit.”  

Tim had a lot to endure but never complained, and little Thad was as brave as someone far above his age.  They were good companions and a big help in getting all of us out of this mess.  Without Tim’s and Kathy’s excellent knowledge of the place, and Thad’s courageous effort, we wouldn’t be sitting here all cozy and talking right now.”

The couple listened to Heyes' explanations attentively.

“That’s a pretty hard time you had,” Bill remarked when Heyes had ended.  “And I’m sure the kids didn't make it easier for you.”

“It sure wasn't a Sunday stroll,” Heyes admitted.  “But don’t underestimate your offspring.  They have clear minds and their hearts are in the right place.”

“You’re very kind, Joshua, and you saved our kids,” Jane said.  “We owe you.”

“They saved us as well.  We’re even, ma’am,” Heyes replied and smiled at her.

“You may be even with them, but not with us.  How can we ever thank you?” Bill countered.

“Well, maybe we can stay with you for a while, until my partner heals up somewhat?”

Husband and wife exchanged a short, warm glance and Jane answered, “Stay as long as you want.  You’re always welcome with us!”

-o-o-o-

The days passed by in peace.  Heyes spent most of the time giving Bill a hand.  It was early in the morning, the air still crisp and clear, when they loaded the wagon with tools and wire and wooden posts.

“I bet the new fence will be up before dark,” the ex-outlaw claimed as they were finished, and pushed his battered hat back and forth on his head.

Bill laughed.  “You don’t know the terrain.  Without your help it would almost take me a week.  If things run smooth, the two of us will make it by tomorrow or maybe the day after.  I’m really glad for your stay here, Joshua.  Jane is a fine woman, and the kids do what they can, but they can’t replace a man when it comes to manual work.”

Twofold laughter rang out on the yard.  The men turned their heads and noticed Tim and Jed feeding the chickens.  Tim’s arm laid around the man’s waist for support.  The bowl with hen food was tucked into the sling which held Jed’s broken arm.  Half walking, half hobbling they crossed the square, generously scattering grain in every direction, more than once towards the other half of the outfit.  It resulted in more laughs and shaking of heads which sent grains flying in random directions.  A flock of chickens crowded around them, hurrying to every new target zone and hastily picking up what they found there.

A broad smile lit up Heyes’ face and a warm look appeared in his eyes.  “They look happy, don’t they?”

“They sure do,” Bill confirmed.  “It’s amazing how close they got within a few days.  They are almost inseparable.”

“Yeah, inseparable,” Heyes murmured and followed his friend with his eyes.  “They do almost everything together.  I haven’t seen him that happy in years, so careless and relaxed.”

“They are a fine team.  I never thought that weeding or painting the chicken coop could be entertaining, but for the both of them it was.  They just enjoy each other’s company.  Tim really needs a friend his age–” Bill cut himself off sheepishly.  “I’m sorry, I wouldn’t say–”

“It’s alright, Bill,” Heyes interrupted and faced the young farmer.  “I know what you meant.  He’s innocent and kind, unburdened by the weight of adulthood.  Right now, Jed is about Tim’s age – in a way at least.”  He paused for a moment.  “But don’t you have any neighbors around here?  I noticed you had no visitors since we dropped in on your place.”

“Only a few and no one with boys of Tim’s age.  His brother is too young and we’re way too far out from town for him to make good friends there.  It’s important for a boy to have someone to talk to, someone to trust.”

“Not only for a boy,” replied Heyes.  “True friendship is a precious gift.”  Dark-brown eyes wandered back to the yard where a considerable challenge had started to confuse the flock and coax it into total disbandment by a rapid fire of grain thrown into opposing directions.  The corner of Heyes’ mouth curled up again.  “Let’s get going or we won’t finish the fence in time and the work on the ditches will have to wait for next week.”  He clapped Bill’s shoulder.  “Not that I’m keen on work that's hard on the back, but the sooner we start the sooner we’re finished.”

“You have a point there, Joshua.  I’d rather have them ready before the next downpour.”

The men climbed up on the driver’s bench and waved Jed and Tim good-bye as they passed them by, leaving the property.  The horse pulled the carriage briskly up a smooth slope.

“How long do you think it will take them to settle for the old ‘bread soaked in whiskey’ trick?” Heyes pondered.

Bill shook his head and grinned.  “Never.  The whiskey is stored away on the highest board in the storage room you occupy at night.”

“Which means–”

“Tim can’t reach it!”

Heyes just smiled and looked at Tim’s father sideways, giving the thought time to sink in and unfold.

Bill frowned, turned his head and threw a glance back to the yard, fixing on the tall figure of his son’s new friend.

Heyes smile widened into a full dimpled grin.  “Yup, that’s what I thought, too.”

The young farmer pulled the reins, but Heyes clapped his shoulder and reassured him, “No, go on, Bill.  They probably won’t try it today.  You can hide the bottle when we’ve finished our work.”  He paused and shifted into a more comfortable position.  A twinkle of mischief appeared in his dark eyes.  “By the way, the cock getting drunk isn’t only funny, but instructive.  A mighty good example how booze can get you into trouble – in more than one way.  Just think about it...”

-o-o-o-

In the evening, when all the chores were done, their hard work was rewarded with Jane’s fine cooking and delicious pastries.  After supper when the dishes were cleaned, they all gathered on the front porch and spent some time together, enjoying the peacefulness and beauty of the sunset.

“Will you tell us another story, Joshua?” Kathy asked.  “Or would you mind reading?”

“No, another story, please!” Tim piped in.  “Tell us more about Trajan Tramp and Calamity Kid!  I bet they got into big trouble with only six bullets left between them and the marshal on their tail!”

“Tim!” his mother cut him off, caught his look and shook her head.

Little Thad instantly used the chance to submit his own plea.  “Now why... why don’t you tell us about the boys on the farm?  Did they get back at that new fella that called the little one ‘Goldilocks’ all the time?  They wouldn’t let him go on, would they?”

“Woah, not all at once!”  Heyes raised his hands and stopped the requests, smiling.  “Seems we’ve got us a problem here.  What would you like to hear, Jane?  A culinary magician who spoils us with her works of art should have a say in it, too.”

“Why, Joshua, thank you.  But if you’re trying for that last piece of apple pie, you’re too late.  A couple of young men beat you to it.  Who can resist blue eyes like that?”

Heyes pouted and looked over to his partner, who only shrugged and looked like innocence personified.  “Well, now that it seems Tim already had a treat, and Kathy absorbs any story like a sponge anyway, I’d say Thad should have his way.  Do you agree, Jane?”

“Agreed.  Go on, Joshua.”

Heyes leaned back comfortably in his chair, stretched his legs and crossed them at his ankles before he started to spin his yarn.  “So, let me tell you a tale – as true as true can be.  It's about a young boy, his best friend and an ingenious plan involving bleach, a curling iron and a pretty mean boy, who couldn’t even imagine what he was heading for: his public exposure on the background of a Thanksgiving play.  It’s a story about masterly plans, unfortunate events, relinquished hopes, but unexpected success in the end, and a moral for both mean boys and young self-declared avengers.”

His audience, young and old, was caught by his performance and enjoyed the humorous story.  All the time Heyes was talking he kept an eye on his friend, hoping for a spark of recognition in the sky-blue eyes.  But his hope was to no avail.

-o-o-o-

It was dark, dark and silent.  Heyes sat up in his bed, listening, but no sound was to be heard, only his partner tossing and turning restlessly.

“Ma?” the blond mumbled, his voice getting louder.  “Ma!  No... No!”  A low moan escaped his lips, then a sharp cry suppressed, but yet loud enough for slaying the nocturnal tranquility.

In a blink Heyes was up and at his partner’s side.  He sat down on the edge of his makeshift bed.

“Hush, Kid, hush,” he murmured, his voice low as he laid his hands on his partner’s shoulders, trying to soothe him.  A shiver ran throughout the sturdy body under his hands, accompanied by another moan.  “You hear me, Kid?  I’m here.  Everything’s alright.”

Fast as a recoiling snake, his partner sat up.  Blue eyes cracked open, wide and dark, filled with horror and pain.  They tried to focus, panning the small room that harbored them, briefly touching boards, baskets, an old cradle and a tub.  The view of the unfamiliar interior didn’t help him to find his place in time and space.  His eyes only stopped wandering when they met their dark-brown complement.

“Easy, Kid, easy,” Heyes soothed.  “You’re alright.  It’s just a bad dream.”

“But ma, pa...” the blond stammered.  “They were– it was so real...”

“Yeah, yeah, I know, Kid,” Heyes said, rubbing his partner’s arms.  “That’s what nightmares do.”  He gave him a moment in silence to gather himself.  Gradually he saw his friend relaxing.  “Better now?  You know where you are?”

The blond head bopped up and down.  “The McCarthy’s, Tim’s place.”

“Yeah, that’s right.  And you know who you are?  And who I am?”

“What kinda question is that?”

“Just to see if you’re really back again.  Tell me your name.”

“I’m Jed, Uncle... uh... Joshua.”

Heyes sighed, his eyes dropped to the ground.  “Yeah, you’re right, Jed.  Go back to sleep now,” he said and patted his friend’s shoulder.  “I’ll watch over you.  Nothing will do you any harm.”

The blond watched him for a moment, a frown on his face.  Then he nodded, lay down again and closed his eyes.

“Good night, Kid,” Heyes murmured and smoothed his friend’s shaggy curls.  He waited until the breathing became deep and even again before he returned to his own cot.  Laying back, he stared into space, his eyes wide open in the darkness as he pondered what to do.

Last edited by royannahuggins on Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:00 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Rascals - Part 2 :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Rascals - Part 2
Post Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:12 pm by royannahuggins

It was Sunday morning.  The entire family was dressed in their Sunday best and seated in the wagon, about to go to church.

“You sure you won’t join us?” Tim asked, throwing a disappointed look towards his new friend, who still stood on the yard.

Jed started to speak, but Heyes cut in.  “No, Tim, thank you.  It wouldn’t do any good to Jed’s head.  And there’s not much room left for us anyway.  Just go on!”

Bill tipped his hat, then lashed the horse as the kids waved good-bye, and soon they were out of sight, leaving Heyes and Curry on their own.

“I don’t know why I couldn’t join ‘em this week!” Jed grumbled, watching his young friend leave.

“I told you, it was about your head.”

“I don’t mind!”

“But I do!” Heyes countered. “Since when you are so keen on going to church anyway?”

“I'm not, but I don’t wanna stay behind doin' stupid chores,” snapped the blond.

“Ah, now you’re speaking!  You prefer listening to the sermon, huh?”

“I prefer bein' with Tim.  He’s more fun than you.”

Heyes’ face grew dark, his eyes glistening.  “Alright, alright.  I don’t have to be fun at all.  That’s not what I’m here for!”

“I don’t know what you’re here for!  I don’t know what we’re doin' here anyway.  I wanna go home!” Jed burst out, his temper arising.

“Jed, you’re a real pain in the neck!  You know we can’t go that easy.  I wish we could!  We've stayed here way too long already.  Every day here puts us into danger, puts them into danger!” Heyes shot back, flaring up too.

“I don’t know what you’re talkin' 'bout,” Jed retorted.  “I tell you what: if you’re not goin' with me, I’ll go on my own!”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah!”

“Fine!  Just like you did back when your father spanked you when it was your sister’s fault and you swore you’d never return?  It lasted – how long?  Two hours?  Until dark?” Heyes stated, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

Jed sobered.  “How could you know?”

“Know what?”

“Know about that.  I never–”  The blond paused and his eyes went cold.  “Han told you!  I bet he did!  Nobody else ever knew 'bout it!”  He squared his shoulders and clenched his jaw.  “How could I ever trust him?  I should've known he was a snitch.  No way, he could keep his big mouth shut–”

“Jed, what?  What are you saying?  That’s not true and you know it.  I – he never gave you away.  Never!  He’s your friend.  He–”

“My friend, huh?” Jed cut him off.  “Where is he?  I bet he never even asked for me.  I hate him!”

“You do?” Heyes asked quietly, his eyes big and dark.

Only silence answered him.  Jed’s look dropped to the ground; his shoulders slumped down.  Briefly he shook his head.  “I... I jus' wish...”  The blond head rose again, searching Heyes’ eyes.  “I don’t understand at all!  Why am I still here?  Where are my folks?  And Han?  Why can’t I go home?”

“Our families are fine.  They're home now; home where they belong.  There’s nothing that can happen to them.  If it hadn’t been for this earthquake, we would never have been stranded here.  But we are.  You have to heal up before we can leave this place.”

“But how long?  Don’t they miss me?  Don’t they want me anymore?”

“Sure, they do!  They're waiting for you, but they want you to be alright, too.  There’s a time for everything and your time hasn’t come yet.  There are things we have to do first.  One of them, for you, is getting well again, alright?”

The blond looked at him in silence.  Then he nodded reluctantly.

“Alright.  And now we’ll do our chores – their chores,” Heyes said and forced a smile on his face.  “They’ll be happy when the work is done and there’s more spare time for all of them.  You can go off with Tim right after lunch.  Does that sound good to you?  Huh?”

-o-o-o-

Late in the evening Heyes sat on the edge of his partner’s cot.  The Kid was sleeping safe and sound.  Heyes didn’t touch him, just thoughtfully studied his face.  A face that seemed so innocent and relaxed...

As he heard somebody entering the room, Heyes turned his head.  Jane McCarthy stepped beside him and lay her hand gently on his shoulder.

“Still awake, Joshua?”

He just shrugged and turned towards his partner again.  “I don’t know what to do,” he told her.  “He’s still not better, but it’s about time we get moving.  The longer we stay, the more likely we’ll bring trouble on you.”

“You are no trouble for us.  In fact, you're welcome help.  And the boys love you.”

“It’s only a matter of time.  A boyish mind in the body of a man downright calls for trouble.  One day someone will ask questions that he can’t answer.”

“We’ve never asked you.”

“No,” Heyes replied, looked at her and smiled.  “And I really appreciate that, Jane.  Just believe me, we can’t stay any longer!”  He studied the sleeping figure again and heaved a sigh.  “If there was just a way to help him.  I’ve tried my best, but I’m at my wits’ end.”

“Maybe he needs a professional, but I doubt the doctor in town will be very helpful in that case,” Jane pointed out.  “He’s good at patching folks up, but all he learned, he learned by doing.  What you need is one of these fine studied men you find East and in the big cities like San Francisco or Denver.”

Heyes nodded.  “We would know more, if one could check on him.  But I can’t take him there when he's like that.  The broken arm would be less of a problem, but being out of his mind?  Well, that'd mean he'd constantly be in danger.”

Thoughtful silence spread.  Heyes' eyes were trained on his partner.

Jane McCarthy watched him for a while before she offered, “Let him stay with us.  We’ll take care of him as long as he needs it.”

Heyes turned around and faced her again.  “Why?”

“You saved our family and, if we can, we’ll save yours.”

“Who said he was family?”

“The way you care about him.  Whatever he is to you, you treat him like family,” Jane replied and smiled at him.  “If you feel it’s time to go, don’t hesitate.  He’s a good friend of Tim, and about to become part of our family, too.  And I doubt he will miss you.  He spends the most part of his day with the kids anyway.”

Heyes laughed and nodded as his eyes wandered back to his friend.  “You’re right.  And waiting any longer makes no sense at all.”  He paused.  “I’ll be back as soon as possible, Jane, but...” his voice trailed off.

Jane McCarthy studied him for a long time, a question in her eyes that she didn’t voice.  Instead she nodded.  “He’ll be safe with us, don’t worry.  But I hope you’ll be back here soon.  And I’ll pray for you, for both of you.  When will you go?”

“The sooner the better; early tomorrow morning.  Just let me thank you once more – for everything you’ve done.  I don’t know if I’ll see you before I’m gone.”

“We’ll be awake.  And you should say goodbye to Jed, too.”

-o-o-o-

It was early in the morning, the sun still hidden behind the hills.  Heyes' horse was tacked, the saddlebags packed.  One by one, a small parade of McCarthys passed the ex-outlaw by.

“Goodbye,” Thad murmured, still a little shy after all.

“Goodbye, partner,” Heyes said and tousled the boy’s hair.

“Goodbye, Joshua,” Tim chimed in.  He laid his arm around his brother’s shoulders and gave him a quick squeeze.

The ex-outlaw patted Tim’s shoulder.  “You’ll be walking all on you own again, when I see you next time, huh?”

“I’ll try, sir... uh... Joshua,” Tim smiled.

Kathy’s bright eyes were surprisingly sad today.  “I hope you’ll soon be back.  I think... well, maybe I’ll miss you.”

“I bet you do!  And think of a thousand new ways to annoy me ‘til then,” Heyes replied, with a smile that revealed his dimples and put a twinkle in his eyes.

The parents waited at the end of the procession to shake their new friend’s hand.  “Be well, Joshua, and good luck.  We expect you to return with good news.”

“I’ll do my best.  Thank you for everything.”

The family members made off to start their daily chores, their lively voices gradually fading away.  Only Heyes and his partner were left in the yard in the end.

The dark-haired man clapped the hindquarter of the lively pinto before he turned around and bridged the few paces that divided him from his friend.  Standing on the front porch, they faced each other.

It was Heyes who eventually broke the silence. “I have to leave you for a while, Jed.”

“Where are you goin’?” the blond asked innocently.

“There’s some business I have to take care of.”

“What business?”

“I’m trying to get help for you, Jed.”

“But I’m much better now; I don’t need no help.  I wanna go with you!”

“It’s not your arm, Jed, it’s your head.  I know it still hurts.”

“No, it doesn’t.”

“Stop kidding me.  Sure, it does!"

“I’m fine!”

“No, you’re not!”

“I am!”

Heyes pushed his hat back, then placed his hands on his hips.  “You really trying to sell me that?”

Jed tried to stare him down, but as it didn’t work, he reluctantly admitted in the end, “Alright, I’m not.”

Heyes relaxed his stance again.  “Listen, Jed, I’ll find you a doc who knows about that sort of thing.  He’ll heal you up in no time!  Maybe your nice little try will succeed then, but I doubt it.”  He paused for a brief moment.  “You’ll be safe here – as long as I’m not here.”

“Will you bring Han along when you come back?”

Heyes nodded and beamed a smile at him.  “I promise; Han will be with me when I return.  He’ll be happy to be with you again.”

“I miss him.  It’s... I don’t know.  It’s like there’s somethin' I should know, but I... I just can’t remember what it is, no matter how hard I try.  It feels so... wrong!”

Heyes gently laid his hand on Jed’s upper arm.  “That’s only that blow to your head, Kid.  You’ll be alright again.  Just give yourself time.”

Big blue eyes fixed on Heyes, filled with hope and trust.  “Will you tell him?  That I’ll wait for him?”

Heyes nodded again and patted Jed’s shoulder.  “He knows.  And you’ll behave yourself, won’t you?  They're nice people and I don’t want to hear complaints about you.”

“Yeah, I will.  I like ‘em.”

“Jed...” Heyes' voice trailed off.  He couldn’t help but pull his friend into his arms and hug him.  “Goodbye, Kid.”

“Goodbye, Uncle.”

Swiftly Heyes turned around and mounted his horse.  He didn’t look back when he left the property.  He spurred his horse and nudged it into a good pace.  Absorbed in his thoughts, Heyes made quite a few miles in the crisp morning air, before a harsh voice yanked him back into the present.

“Stop, Heyes!  Hold it right there!”

Heyes pulled the reins and froze, while his horse skidded to a halt.  Slowly he raised his hands.  “You must be mistaken, mister!  I’m Joshua–”

“Save your lies for somebody else!” the unfamiliar voice cut him off.  “I know you!  I saw you!  Don’t think I’ll ever forget your dang face!”

A run-down figure edged around a boulder, a six-gun at the ready.  The man’s once stout form had melted to a thin outfit, the skin wrinkling over his bones.  His hair was short and of mud-brown color, but starting to grey.

Rascals - Part 2 Pic_1110

Heyes squinted his eyes.  “Wait a minute, aren’t you one of Hank Evens’ boys?  Seth, isn’t it?  Howdy, pal!  It’s been a long time.”  He conjured up a broad smile on his face as he slowly lowered his hands, but Seth stopped him.  

“Hold it!”  His eyes fixed on Heyes, Seth strutted closer, obviously not impressed by his performance.

In return, Heyes dropped his false attitude of fellowship.

His opponent acknowledged it with a malicious smile.  “Yeah, Heyes, now you remember me, don't you?  I remember you, too,” he said.  “Drop your gun, nice and easy!”  A mean glint entered the corner of his eyes as his prompt didn’t result in immediate action.  “You wouldn’t want me to put a slug into you, would you?”

Heyes addressed him with an appraising glance, then unholstered his sidearm with two fingers and let it go.  The weapon produced a low thud when it hit the ground and raised a small cloud of dust.

“And now get off your horse!”

“Now, Seth, there’s no need–”

“No need?” Seth scoffed.  “You’ll never know what it meant to me!  Hank kicked me out that day.  Things didn’t turn out for the better then.  Now get off!”

“Well, maybe you’ve got a point there.  We really didn’t part in best spirits,” Heyes admitted as he followed the man’s instructions.  “Hank was mighty riled and I bet he’s not one to forgive that easy.”

“Yeah, you bet dang right!  He’s been pretty hard on me, but it was your fault not mine!  I knew your scam right from the start!  One can’t trust such a sweet-talking snake like you!”  Seth holstered his weapon and then tied Heyes' hands behind his back.

“Come on, Seth, it’s been a long time since then.  You can’t be mad at me after all this time.”

“You bet I am!  I had a lot of time to think of ways to get even with you, once I got your slippery hide in my hands.”  The hate in the older man’s eyes was obvious.  He checked the knot and re-tied it.  “I always knew my time would come.  I heard you were seen around here.  When I couldn’t find you, I almost gave up, but now you just stumbled into my arms.  That’s what I call good luck!”

“Fortune favors fools,” Heyes murmured under his breath.

Seth’s eyes narrowed.  “What’d you say?”

Heyes cleared his throat.  “I said, so all this is about revenge?”

“That and the money.”  With a hard yank Seth tightened the rope so firmly that it cut deep into his captive’s wrists.  Heyes flinched, but suppressed any sound of pain.  “You made a fool out of me and now I’ll make a fortune out of you!”

“Come on, Seth, I’m sure, you can’t just walk into a sheriff’s office and turn me in.  There must be a way for us to get along.  I’m sure I can think of something to–”  A punch into his midsection cut him short.  Heyes doubled over and gasped for air.

“I’ll make sure we’ll get along just fine,” Seth stated with grin that promised nothing good.  Obviously pleased with himself, Seth watched his coughing captive until he had caught his breath again.  “Where’s your partner?” Seth shot at him.

“I don’t have a partner anymore,” Heyes answered quietly.  “I lost him in the earthquake.”

But Seth wasn’t easy to convince.  “You’re lying!” he stated.

“I’m not!”  Heyes replied and made no attempt to hide the pain in his eyes.  “We holed up in an old mine.  The ceiling came down on us.  Kid Curry never left it.  He’s no longer a partner of mine.”

“Just another one of your tall tales!” Seth scoffed.

Heyes addressed him with a bitter laugh.  “Don’t you know the truth when it slaps you in the face!?”

“The truth, huh?  Spoken by you, that’s a mighty loose concept.  There’s no way I’ll believe you, unless you prove it!”

“Prove it? Prove it!? How?” Heyes retorted, his dark eyes glistening.  Silence spread.  Then his face lit up with realization.  “Ah, I see.  That’s the point: ‘Dead or alive!’”  Heyes grimaced with disgust.  “You want the full reward and a body is evidence enough.”  He paused and glared at the outlaw.  “But I can’t!  Unless you can move mountains, that is.  Half of that hill must have buried him!”

“That’s just one of your tricks!”

“It’s not!”

“I don’t believe you!  I’ve gotta see it myself!”

Heyes bristled.  With barely hidden anger he sketched the route.

“Well, we’ll see,” Seth said.  “You’re gonna show me the way.  If you’re fooling me, you’ll live to regret it.”  He pushed his captive towards his horse, indicating for him to get back into the saddle.

“You joking, Seth?” Heyes asked sarcastically and pointed out his tied hands with a gesture.

Seth huffed and shoved him roughly onto his pinto’s back.  Without the use of his hands, Heyes almost toppled over, but a hard yank on his leg prevented a fall.  Slowly the run-down outlaw walked Heyes' horse around the boulder, where his own mount was tied to a bush.  He untied it and pulled himself into the saddle, always keeping the reins of Heyes' mount in a tight grip.  Then they set off at a fast pace, following Heyes’ terse descriptions leading them towards the entrance of the old mine

When they arrived there, Heyes paled as he considered the damage done by the earthquake.  His shock was evident.  The entrance was gone.  Rocks and earth protruded from the shaft – by no means would it have been possible to dig a way out through all that rubble.

Seth dismounted and studied the debris blocking the former opening.  He kicked at the rocks and poked into the solid soil.

“Dang, that mess cost me $10,000,” he growled.  “There sure ain't no way to drag him outta that.  Too bad.  I sure hoped to see that babyface of his again – and wipe that smug grin off his face when I made money off of him.”  He spat on the ground and remounted again.

Rascals - Part 2 Pic_1210

“Well now, behave yourself, Heyes, and you’ll live.  I’m not keen on dealing with your body in this here heat.  You’ll just keep me company and help me pass the time,” Seth told him and casually patted the sheath of his knife as he maneuvered his horse beside Heyes’ mount.  “It requires grub and water to get us both into town.  You know a place around here where we can get us supplies?”

A look of innocence on his face, Heyes shook his head.  “No, can’t say I do.”

His remark earned him a rough laugh.  “You start lying when you just open your mouth,” Seth said.  “Your horse was fresh and well-fed when I grabbed you!  That trail must lead somewhere.  We’ll find out.”

Heyes straightened up and quickly exclaimed, “No, Seth, I was on my way towards a farm.  We have to take the other direction.”

Seth’s fist hit Heyes' jaw and knocked his head back.

“Lies!  Lies!  You better shut up now, or I’ll shut you up!  You can live for a while without your lying tongue!”

Blood seeped out of the corner of Heyes' mouth and he wiped it off on his shoulder.  His eyes shooting sparks, he stared at his tormentor.

Unimpressed, Seth took the reins and turned his horse back towards the McCarthy’s home, Heyes' horse in tow.

-o-o-o-

The farm lay deserted when the two riders arrived there.  It was late in morning and nobody was to be seen in the front yard.

Heyes held his breath.  He observed the yard with alert senses, a blend of hope and fear in his eyes.

Seth dismounted and walked over to the front porch.

Rascals - Part 2 Pic_1310

“Anybody here?” he called.

Only silence answered him.

Heyes was about to relax when footsteps sounded inside the house.

“Just a moment,” Jane’s voice answered Seth’s call.  Drying her hands on her apron she shoved open the door with her shoulder.  When she noticed her visitor, she visibly slowed down.

“Howdy, ma’am,” Seth greeted her.

“Good morning,” she replied, pushing the door carefully shut with her back.  Cautiously she stepped out on the porch.  “Can I help you?”

“Nobody else around?” Seth asked her, panning the yard.

“My husband will be back soon.  Why are you asking?”

“Just wondering,” Seth said and walked towards her.  “I need water and supplies.  Can I get them from you?”

“Just help yourself with the water.  The well is over there,” Jane told him and pointed towards the encircling wall.  Taking her eyes off Seth and following the movement of her hand, her look met Heyes'.  Her eyes widened and her stance changed, became tense and alert.

Seth turned around and followed her look.

“Well, yeah, there’s two of us.  He’s my prisoner.  You know him?”

Heyes caught her glance and slightly shook his head.  His attitude stayed detached.

She knit her brow and shook her head.  “No.  No, I haven’t seen him before in my life.  Who is he?”

“He’s a criminal, as hardened as can be.  But don’t be scared, little lady, he’s neatly trussed up and I’m on my way to turn him in.”

“Oh, well,” Jane tried compose herself again.  “Then I guess I have to thank you for your service to the community.”

Seth smacked his lips.  “Yeah, yeah, there is reason to show gratitude to me, I guess.”

Heyes stared at her intently and shook his head.

“You asked for supplies.  What do you think you need?” she asked Seth, stepping down the stairs.

Heyes straightened his back and his eyes widened, obviously not believing what was happening right in front of him.  His horse sensed his tension and swished its tail nervously.

-o-o-o-

The reason for Jane’s strange behavior lurked unnoticed behind the curtains.  Holding his breath, Tim peeked out and listened to the exchange.  He leaned against the wall and favored his hurt leg.  Nervously he watched over his shoulder now and then, his expectant eyes pointing up the stairs.

Just then, his new friend Jed came in sight, descending the stairs with a spring in his walk and in best spirits.  “I found your penknife, Tim.  You sure should tidy up your room!  It was in one of your boots–”

A low whistle and tight gesture from Tim cut him off.  The blond man went silent and sneaked over to his friend.  Cautiously he peeked out of the window beside him.

“Who is he?” Jed asked.

“I don’t know.  But he’s with Joshua, so he has to be a friend.”

Sky-blue eyes narrowed, filled with skepticism and uncertainty.  “I don’t know, Tim.  He sure doesn’t look like a friend to me.”  Uncomfortable, he shifted his position.  “Somethin’s wrong out there.”  He took a closer look and frowned.  In an eye’s blink he took in the scene, his senses focusing on details: Jane slowly drawing away, the tone of the man’s talk, Joshua’s odd posture.  “No, Tim, that’s no friend.  That’s trouble out there!  Where’s your pa?”

“Up at the northern range, fixing the fence.  Won’t be back before evening.”

Jed grimaced.  “Way too far.”

“For what?”

“Gettin’ here in time before–”

“In time before what?”

“I... don’t know...” Jed murmured as he scanned the room.  A band of leather on a hook caught his eye.  Tim followed his stare and firmly shook his head.

“No, Jed, we’re not supposed to touch guns without pa’s permission!”

Jed hesitated.  His eyes were fixed on the weapon, then he returned his attention to the scene on the yard.  His eyes grew cold and his jaw set in a determined way.  Keeping his head down he slowly went for the six-gun.

“Jed, no!” his friend whispered intensely.

Jed turned around and hushed him.  “You wanna go out and ask him?  Don’t you think he’d allow it, if he had the chance?”  Through the window he watched Seth approaching Jane.

-o-o-o-

“There’s so much that I need, little lady,” Seth said with a dirty grin on his face.  “Gimme what I want and I’ll go easy on you.  I can be real nice, trust me.”  His hand reached for her cheek.  Jane dodged him and drew back.

-o-o-o-

Jed Curry tensed, his face a mask of confusion and pain.  “I can remember the bodies lying in the mud,” he cried.  “All the blood on the ground, and the darkness.  It was dark, even though it was the middle of the day...” He cradled his throbbing head, then shook it, trying to get rid of the feeling of being in two places at the same time.

Tim, noticing the strange state of his friend, gently touched his arm and whispered, “Jed, you alright?”

Rascals - Part 2 Pic_1411

The blond man blinked and shook his head again, his eyes clear now and focusing on the actual surroundings.  “Yeah, Tim, I’m fine.  I’m real fine.”

-o-o-o-

Seth moved closer to Jane, trying to corner her at the barn’s wall, leaving her no room to dodge him another time.  The grin on his face widened as her eyes did in fear.

Rascals - Part 2 Pic_1510

Heyes kicked his horse hard in the flanks.  It whinnied and jumped forward towards Seth.  Swiftly he swung his leg over the horse’s neck and slid down its side.  Two strides brought him up behind Seth from where he threw his full weight against the outlaw.  The impact sent both men to the ground.

“Run!” Heyes yelled just before he hit the dirt and the impact took his breath away.

Jane took off as fast as she could, pulled herself in the saddle of the horse and spurred it.  In an eye’s blink she was out of sight.

Seth struggled to his feet, towering over Heyes, who still laid on the ground, gasping for air.  Blood poured from a wound at his temple and the tied wrists.

“That was your last mistake, Heyes!” Seth yelled at him, furious, pulling out his gun.

A single shot rang out and cut harshly through the silence on the property.

Seth’s weapon was blown from his hand and dropped to the ground somewhere behind him.  The outlaw clasped his hand, a surprised look showing up on his face.  He turned towards the house and spotted the shooter.

Rascals - Part 2 Pic_1610

Kid Curry stood in the door – tall and grand – representing the model of a cold-blooded gunslinger.

Seth tried a quick move towards his gun, but a second shot rang out, whirling up the dust right under his hand.

“Leave it, Seth,” Kid Curry advised him.  “If you’d like to keep your hand, that is.  I don’t know this weapon well so I could easily miss my aim.”

Slowly Seth straightened.  “I have no partner,” he mimicked.  “Heyes, you’re the biggest liar under the sun!  Sure, you have, and you let me run straight into him.”

“I’d be glad to learn you’re right, Seth,” Heyes answered him as he propped himself up.  “Is he right, Kid?”

Blue eyes and brown eyes met.  A warm smile showed up on Kid Curry’s face, immediately returned by his dark-haired friend.

“He is, Heyes,” he said.  “Well, I’m not sure about that lyin' thing, but he’s dang right about me bein' your partner!”  The blond ex-outlaw strode over and tied Seth’s hands with his own belt.

Heyes tried unsuccessfully to struggle to his feet.  “'Bout time you came around, Kid,” he said, beaming at his friend who watched his useless attempts to stand.

“I can’t leave you alone one minute, can I?” Curry asked before he bent down and hauled Heyes up on his feet.

It took Heyes a moment to regain his balance.  “You sure can!  I had everything under control.  Just the next minute I would have–”

“...died,” Kid Curry stated dryly.

Heyes fell silent, furrowed his brows and pursed his lips.  “Oh, no, Kid.  I’d certainly have come up with a plan in a second.  A really ingenious plan!”

The Kid laughed – a rich and heartfelt sound – and pulled him into his arms.

-o-o-o-

Summoned by the shot, the rest of the family appeared, Kathy and Thad trying to catch their breath from running, their father on Heyes' horse in full gallop followed by Jane on a second mare.

“What happened?  Who is he?” Bill asked as he dismounted.

“Trouble,” Kid Curry said and cut off the ties of his partner.  The latter one grimaced and cautiously moved his shoulders and hands to get the blood flowing again.

“Jed, you’re real chatty today,” Heyes scolded him before he turned towards Bill.  “But he’s right, this man is trouble.  His name is Seth Wilson and he’s an outlaw on the run.  He was up to no good, but we defeated him before things got worse.  I’d suggest you turn him in.  I’d be surprised if there wasn't a reward on his name.”

Me!?  Turn me in!?” Seth shouted.  “There’s a fortune standing in front of you, folks; you just have to take it!  These two are worth $10,000 apiece!”

The family looked surprised at the ex-outlaws.

Heyes gently shook his head and moved to stand in front of Seth, his back turned towards his friends.  Within a blink his look changed: his eyes grew darker, the set of his jaw tightened, his brows moved slightly closer, as he revealed the notorious outlaw leader he once had been.  “Will you shut up or do I have to shut you up?” he asked him in a deceptive soft tone.

Heyes drew another step closer, standing uncomfortably close to the other man now.  A dangerous glint lit up the ex-outlaw's eyes as he lowered his voice even more. Barely audible, he continued, “You promised me a pretty particular treatment and we both know you meant it.  What do you expect me to do if you don’t behave yourself?  You wouldn't want me to do something we both wound regret, do you?”

Seth just stared at him with hatred.  Heyes held his glare and returned it, his dark eyes hard and piercing.  Uncertainty settled in Seth’s look and grew into an air of fear.  His eyes flickered, then he broke the contact.  Heyes kept his gaze fixed on him until he received a brief shaking of Seth's head.  Turning around to his friends he dropped his menacing attitude.  His stance relaxed, his features softened again, his eyes lit up and the firm set of his jaw was replaced by a friendly smile.

“Is he right?  Is there a reward on your name?” Bill asked seriously.

“Would it change anything?” Heyes retorted softly.

“No,” their host replied without hesitation.

“So why do you ask?  You can’t be blamed for things you don’t know, Bill,” Heyes told him and beamed one of his unbelievable smiles.  “There’s no charge for harboring people named Smith and Jones.  Let’s keep it that way, alright?”

Bill studied his guest a while, exchanged a glance with his wife and then nodded approval.  “Alright, Joshua.  We trust you.”

-o-o-o-

Meanwhile, Kid Curry walked over to Tim.  He stood in the doorway, supported by the frame, his eyes panning the floor.

“You alright, Tim?” the blond ex-outlaw asked him.

Tim shrugged and didn’t look up.

“What is it, Tim?” Jed tried again with lowered voice.

“Jed, I heard them talking.  He called Joshua, Heyes.  And he called you, Kid,” Tim muttered.  He paused and looked up, searching the blond man’s eyes.  “Is it true?  You two are outlaws?  Wanted men?”

Jed laid his hand gently on Tim’s shoulder.

“Tim, we're friends.  I won’t lie to you.  You’re close to the truth.  But we're not the same men you probably heard of anymore.  We’re tryin' to mend our ways,” Jed explained to him softly.  “But it’s important that nobody knows.  That’s what Joshua is tellin' your parents.  Can you keep it secret – the names you heard?  You’re the only one who knows.”

Tim pondered it a moment. “Can't I even tell my ma?” he asked unhappily.

“Nobody, Tim.  You have to keep ‘em safe from harm.  The law can’t blame ‘em for things they don’t know.”

“That’s a big favor you ask, Jed.”  Tim hesitated, obviously uncertain.  “Can I still call you that?”

“Yeah, Tim, you can always call me that.  We’re friends, remember?”

Tim smiled at him.  “That I’ll never forget.”

“Me, too.  Can I count on you?”

Tim nodded seriously.  “Always, Jed.”

Kid Curry smiled at him and slung his good arm around the boy’s shoulder.  “Let’s go to the others and see what they came up with.”

Supported by the hand that cleared leather faster than the eye could see, Tim limped over to his family.

-o-o-o-

“That was a lot of excitement for one day,” Bill said and studied the members of his family.  “I’m glad it turned out well in the end.”

“At least for us,” Heyes replied with a brief smile on his face, casting a side-glance towards Seth.  “I guess it’s best you start with Seth right away, if you want to turn him in.  The sooner he’s locked up, the better we'll feel.”

“You’re right, Joshua.  I wouldn’t want to keep him here at night anyway.  Will you ride with me?”

“Oh, no, no, no.  Me and my partner have a long way to go and have to start soon,” Heyes declared.  “He’s still not well you know, and we’ll probably have to take things slow.”

He paused and his eyes wandered over to Seth again.  “Don’t listen to his talk.  I suppose he’ll try to sell you wild stories – stories hard to believe – as long as he sees a chance to get us into trouble.”

“Maybe I would like to hear them,” Bill teased.

“Believe me, you wouldn’t.  Let him save his tales for the sheriff.”

“Will some of them be true?” Bill asked seriously.

“Maybe.  Who knows?” Heyes answered, displaying an enigmatic smile.

Smiling, Bill shook hands with him.

A short while later Bill rode off the property with Seth neatly tied up in the back of the wagon; the outlaw’s horse in tow.

Not long after their departure, Heyes and Curry were ready to leave, too, fully loaded with supplies and best wishes.

They hugged the kids and kissed Jane on her cheek.  Then they mounted their horses and left the yard at a slow walk.  On top of a hill close to the farm they reined in their hoses and turned around for a last look. Jane and the kids were still standing on the yard watching them leave.

“You know, Heyes, they're really nice people.”

“Yeah, that’s right.”

“Do you think we’ll have that too one day?  A place to call home?  Family?  Neighbors like that?”

“I don’t know, Kid.  If we’re lucky, we will... and if we get going soon, that is.  Otherwise we’ll end up in jail and I know what the neighborhood in that place is like.”

“Yeah,” Kid Curry replied.  “In the worst case it’s you.”

“Kid, now you really hurt me.”

“Nope, but I could if I had to stand your complaints about prison for 20 years!”

My complaints?  What about yours?  I can almost hear you: the cell, the smell, the food... most of all the food!”

“Well, maybe you have a point here,” the Kid admitted.  “Let’s just avoid findin' out, alright?”

Heyes glared at his friend for a moment.  “Alright, Kid, let’s drop it – for now.  There are two or three words I'll have to say about it later–”

“Wishful thinkin',” the Kid muttered under his breath.  “I’m sure it's gonna be a long ride.”

“Huh?”

“Nothing.  Let’s just get goin’,” Curry said and smiled at his friend.

They waved good-bye to the family one last time, then they spurred their horses, heading for an uncertain future and leaving good friends behind.

[Fade out]
[Well known Trailer]

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Inside Outlaw's story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)
Penski
Post Sat 15 Feb 2020, 3:59 pm by Penski
goodjob
Great story with a suspenseful ending! Loved this story and how Heyes dealt with his partner's loss of memory. Very good baddie at the end was great. Hope you had a good experience with Virtual Season and you'll be a regular. Love it! thumbsup
Post Sat 15 Feb 2020, 8:00 pm by babs31639
Just got through reading the Part 2 of Rascals and loved it. clap Will be waiting for another great story from you in the near future!!!!! thumbsup
moonshadow
Rascals - Part 2
Post Sun 16 Feb 2020, 3:40 pm by moonshadow
clap Great job in making the ending even more tense than the actual plot of everyone being trapped inside a caved-in mine!

The second half of your VS kept my attention from start to finish. I was lulled into a false sense of security thinking that everybody was now nice and safe and all they had to worry about was Kid's memory returning.

You'd think that once they were rescued, everything would be fine and dandy, but no - you created more suspense with Heyes getting captured by a baddie, while Kid was still thinking he was eight-years-old and wasn't in any shape to come to his partner's rescue.  No

I breathed a sigh of relief when things came to a climax. Kid's memory returned just in time to save Heyes' life. Curry was himself again and the baddie got what he deserved. Nice way to wrap things up.

I'll add my wishes, to those who have already expressed their desire, to read another VS story from you next season. thumbsup
Post Thu 27 Feb 2020, 6:34 am by Dan Ker
The second part of Nightwalkers" Rascals" starts quite harmlessly. Momentarily safe Heyes, surrounded by his "gang", is able to calm down.
Writing childhood stories, too, the author describes throughout the whole story in a sweet way Kid's boyish innocence and curiosity.
In contrast to the first part of "Rascals" Heyes creates the impression of being more self-assured than frustrated convincing Kathy of his "plans are in a league of their own."

Though I ask myself if the story told to the girl of Kid's accident in his childhood has really happened or if it is just intended to serve to reassure her. If it's the truth Heyes didn't learn his lesson well. Splendid the way he silver tongues with the word "secrets": " Secrets are not meant to be told to anyone. That's why they're called secrets. Maybe for your own good, maybe for mine." Simply two pretty good bad men....

Beautiful the comparison to part one: in part two Heyes is the one who says to Jed "shut up!" when he starts complaining... But of course our nimble ex outlaw has a way to handle his boyish friend... And of course he takes the lead during the rescue. I'm sure Heyes is athletic enough to climb up the rope after he has it secured on Kid, although it isn't mentioned....

The story of Shade Nightwalker is very good structured. After their rescue the author allows the reader to be lulled into a false sense of security. Staying at the farm our boys are able to rest and make friends with the children's parents. I still have no idea how the author will find a solution for their predicament....

But sooner or later it had to happen: Heyes gets restless and forgets his role. There's no other solution for him than to leave the farm or more trouble will happen to them.
And, keeping to the rules of every good story, something bad happens when the boys separate.. .

The development of the situation is very good written and believable.
Great sentence:" Just get into trouble and you learn who your true friends are."
I very much like how Shade Nightwalker points out that Jed always agreed to Han's plans because he felt better then because he doesn't like him being sad. That should make Heyes reflect...
The author manages to write good dialoges, for example the way Heyes sidesteps questions.

The story nears its peak, which is cleverly worked out by Nightwalker in the form of using Daniel Craig as the bad outlaw... Brilliant choice!

The last third of the story is climatic in the extreme.
Always a joy to visualize Heyes in action, vividly described.
The way Kid regains his remembrance just in time is believable.
Finally, in my opinion the actors are marvelously in character with typical sentences like " A tale as true as truth can be" and of course "I have everything under control". And of course Kid leads him to believe that.....
Very good the conclusion too.
The author proves her ablitity to write a nice banter with Heyes always having the last word and ends the story with a very characteristically scene:
"On top of a hill close to the farm they reined their horses and turned around. They are heading for an uncertain future and leaving good friends behind."
Once more.....a great story!
Post Sun 22 Mar 2020, 1:07 am by Laura
What a great continuation of the story. Out of the cave but Kid is still thinking he is 8 years old and Heyes has no idea of how to help him. Heyes talking to Kid to calm him down from the nightmare is so full of love and caring and painful memories. Then there was Seth, what a despicable lowlife, glad that Kids' memory came back and they were able to get him hauled to jail. It was a heartfelt goodbye with the family and a good ending.
Post Sun 22 Mar 2020, 1:07 am by Laura
What a great continuation of the story. Out of the cave but Kid is still thinking he is 8 years old and Heyes has no idea of how to help him. Heyes talking to Kid to calm him down from the nightmare is so full of love and caring and painful memories. Then there was Seth, what a despicable lowlife, glad that Kids' memory came back and they were able to get him hauled to jail. It was a heartfelt goodbye with the family and a good ending.
Post  by Sponsored content

Rascals - Part 2

Page 1 of 1