Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Empty
PostSheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski

Starring

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Pete_a21

Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes and
Ben Murphy as Kid Curry

Co-Starring (in order of appearance)

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Wilfor10

Wilford Brimley as Gus, the bartender

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Henry_10

Henry Fonda as Logan

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Frank_10

Frank Cady as Earl McGregor

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Kevin_12

Kevin Hagen as Milton Grove

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Mauree10

Maureen O’Hara as Hattie Tucker

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Meliss11

Melissa Sue Anderson as Tillie

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Butch_10

Butch Patrick as Tommy

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Kurt_r10

Kurt Russell as Joe

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Johnny12

Johnny Whitaker as Bobby

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Jack_e10

Jack Elam as Homer Wilson

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Carrad10

Carter brothers – Robert, David and Keith Carradine

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski James_14

James Arness as Marshal Dillon

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith – Part 1
by Penski

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry cautiously rode into the gold mining town.  Very few people were out on the street giving it an appearance of a ghost town.  They scanned the town as they road through and noticed several hotels and saloons, boarding houses, a few stores and banks, an assay office, an undertaker, and a jailhouse.  A sign above the assay office read Russell Gulch, Colorado.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Enter_10

“Seems quiet for a minin’ town on a Friday,” Kid Curry commented.

“It sure does.”  Heyes glanced at the store.  “We’re gonna need supplies before we move on.”

“Yeah, I need bullets and gun oil.”

“Supplies or a drink?” Heyes asked.

“A drink.  Definitely a drink.”  Curry reined his horse over to the Gold Nugget Saloon, dismounted, and tied his mount to the hitching post.

Heyes followed his partner.  “Think we should get supplies before we get a room, though.  There wasn’t any sign who the sheriff is.”

“Okay, just one drink and then supplies,” the Kid agreed.

Kid Curry entered the saloon first, right hand free and near his gun as he glanced into the room.  His prompt stop led to Heyes bumping into him.

“What the… Why’d you stop?” Heyes grumbled.

“Look.  Empty seats.”  Curry glanced over to the bar and saw the bartender wiping a glass.  “You open?”

“You betcha.  What’ll it be?”

“We’ll start with a whiskey and some information.”  Heyes bellied up to the bar and put a dime on the counter.

“Information?”  The bartender pocketed the coin, pulled out two glasses, and poured the amber liquor.

“Yeah.  Where is everyone?” the Kid asked.

“Oh, that.  Had a bank robbery the other day and the sheriff and his deputy got killed.  There’s a funeral for them both goin’ on.  Mourners must be at the cemetery if you didn’t hear singin’ from the church.”

“A bank robbery?  Know who did it?”  Heyes took a sip.

“Yep, a few desperate miners.  The townsfolk already took care of ‘em since there’s no law in town now.  Least not until we get a new sheriff.  We already notified the marshal we needed one.”

“Took care of them, huh?  Are they in the jail?” Heyes casually asked.

“Nope!  Rounded us up a 6-0-1 gang…”

“Six feet under, zero trial, and one rope,” the three men said together.

“I think I need another shot.”  Curry pushed his glass forward.

Heyes finished his whiskey and put the glass on the counter.  “Me, too.”

“You two just travelin’ through town?”  The bartender poured more drinks.

“Yep, after we get some supplies, right, partner?”  Heyes patted Curry on the back.

“Right, partner,” the Kid said disheartened.

“Well, I’m guessin’ Earl stayed open.  He wasn’t that fond of the sheriff or the deputy.  Called ‘em lazy.  His store, McGregor Mercantile, is around the corner from…”

The saloon door banged open, and shots were heard.  

Kid Curry instinctively turned while drawing his gun in a lightning-fast move.

“Whoo wee!” the shooter exclaimed.  “Did you see that, Gus?  He’s fast!”

“Logan, what do you want?” Gus demanded.  “I’m not givin’ you a drink so you may as well leave.”  

Heyes closed his eyes for a moment while the Kid sheepishly holstered his gun.

The man walked towards the counter, addressing Curry.  “Didn’t mean to scare you, mister.”

Gus got out his shotgun from behind the bar.  “You heard me – leave!”

“Sheesh, just wanted to celebrate gettin’ outta jail.”  Logan turned and left the saloon dejectedly.

“Sorry about that.”  The bartender put his gun down.  “That’s Loco Logan, the town’s drunk.  He got out because there was no one at the jailhouse to watch him.  How about another drink, on the house, to calm your nerves?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Gus watched the men leave his saloon and hurried out the back door.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“You just had to show off your quick draw, didn’t you?  Not even in town for 30 minutes.  A town without a sheriff or deputy.  Now we have to get supplies and get outta town,” Heyes grumbled as they made their way to the mercantile around the corner.

“I’m sorry!” the Kid exclaimed a tad loud.  He lowered his voice. “I’m sorry, Heyes.  Just surprised me.  Saw you goin’ for your gun, too.”

Heyes sighed.  “You’re right.  The way that guy barged through the door and was shooting his gun in the air put both of us on guard.”

“I was really lookin’ forward to restin’ for a few days on a soft bed and eatin’ something besides beans.”  Curry opened the door to the store.  “Let’s get our supplies so we can get outta town.  Besides, we don’t need to be where they have a 6-0-1 kind of law.”

A bell rang when the door opened as the two customers walked in.

“How much money do we have to spend?” Curry asked as he looked at a box of socks.

“Just what food we need for a few days.”

“And bullets and gun oil.”

“That, too.”  Heyes looked around.  “I wonder where the shopkeeper is?”  In a louder voice he called out, “Hello!  Are you open?”

A door closed and then a skinny, older man with a balding head hurried from the back room, wiping his hands on his white apron.  “Yep, I’m open for business.  Didn’t expect anyone during the funeral.”  He went behind the counter.

“Gus sent us,” Heyes explained.  “He said the mercantile would be open.”  

“I'll have to remember to thank Gus later.  I'm Earl McGregor; what can I get you folks?”

“Food for the trail – coffee, flour, salt, jerky, and beans.”  Heyes glanced at the shelves.  “And a can of peaches.”

The clerk gathered the requested supplies, watching the men carefully.  “Anything else?”

Kid Curry grabbed a tin of gun oil and a few boxes of bullets and put them on the counter.  “These, too.”

The shopkeeper added up the items.  “That’ll be $3.85.”

Heyes pulled out his money and gave almost a third of it to the clerk.  “Kinda high prices.”

“Well, it is a mining camp and we do have to transport it all up here,” the man explained.  “You two leaving already?”

Kid Curry stood by the window and watched the townspeople coming back into town from the funeral.

Heyes began gathering the supplies.  “At these prices, looks like we can’t afford to stay.  Thaddeus, wanna give me a hand here?”

The clerk watched Curry sauntering up to the counter and noticed both men had their guns tied down.  “Are you pretty good with those guns?”

The Kid shared a quick glance with Heyes before answering, “We can usually hit what we’re aimin’ for.  Why?”

“Just wondering.”  The man hesitated a moment.  “The café is opening up and Vi has a nice lunch special; she's a real good cook, too.  Why don’t you have yourselves a good meal before hitting the trail?”

Heyes and the Kid glanced at each other and shrugged their shoulders.

“Guess we could afford a lunch special, Thaddeus.”

“I was hopin’ you’d say so.”  Curry smiled as the two men left the store.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The shopkeeper quickly turned his sign to close, locked the door, and hurried out the back.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and the Kid were finishing their fried chicken when a group of men walked into the café.

Curry quickly reached across the table and tapped his partner's arm, who was counting out money for the bill.

Heyes looked up and smiled as the men, including Gus and the shopkeeper, walked up to the table.  “Hi.  Something we can do for you, gentlemen?”

“Sure, hope so,” said McGregor.

A man in a black suit took a step forward.  “It was brought to my attention that one of you is real quick with a gun.”

Gus pointed to Curry.  “That one.”

“Quick and in control,” the spokesman continued.  “You could’ve shot Loco Logan but didn’t.”

“Is that a problem?” the Kid asked.

“No, no problem.”  The man looked over at Heyes.  “Heard you’re pretty good, too, at going for you weapon, and cautious, so as not to shoot needlessly.  Where you boys from?”

“Oh, here and there.  Looking for work where we can.”  Heyes eyed the group of men.  “Why?”

“We represent the town’s businesses, and a mining town can quickly get out of control without a sheriff.  We just buried both our sheriff and his deputy today and a replacement is at least a month away.  We’d like to hire both of you to keep the law in Russell Gulch until a new sheriff comes.”

“Us?”  Heyes pointed to his partner and himself.”  Why?  You don’t even know us.”

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Us_she10

“That’s true, but we really don’t have anyone else who we think can maintain law and order.  Heard you were a little short on funds.  We’d, of course, pay you to stay, including room and board.  Pay would be $100 for the month.”

“You want us to be the town’s lawmen?” Kid Curry confirmed.

“Well, we were thinking of you as the temporary sheriff and your partner being the deputy.  Best to have one in charge.”

“Me, the sheriff?”  Curry pointed to himself.

“Me, the deputy?”  Heyes pointed to himself.  He glanced towards the Kid, who smirked.  “Um, we’ll have to discuss this…”  When no one moved, he added, “In private.”

“Oh, yes, of course!  We’ll be standing right over there.”

“We can’t do this!  What if someone recognizes us?” Heyes whispered.

Curry shrugged.  “We get outta town fast like we do whenever we’re recognized?”

“We can’t do this.  We’ll be here too long and that means trouble.”

“We need a job and it’s only for about a month.  Not like we haven’t been deputies before, Joshua.”

“I know, but… You the sheriff?” Heyes hissed.  “Why not me?”

“Why not me?  You should’ve practiced your fast draw shootin’ more.”  Kid Curry smirked again before getting serious.  “What would the governor and Lom think?”

“Well, we’re on the right side of the law and helping out the town so I can’t imagine they’d be upset.  Might even help with our amnesty.”

“Some money, room and board, I think we should take it.  What could go wrong?”

Heyes sighed as he closed his eyes.  “You had to ask.”

“Well?”

“Okay, we’ll try it for just a week and see how it goes.”  Heyes motioned the group of men over.

“Did you make a decision?” asked Grove.

Heyes nodded.  “Thought we’d try it for a week and see how it goes.  We can check out the job more and you can see if you want us to stay around.”

“Oh, that’s an excellent idea!”  The man looked around to his fellow merchants, who nodded in agreement.  “So, pay for a week would be $25 with the room and board.”

“Each?” Kid Curry asked.

“Well, no.  Usually, experienced sheriffs make about $100 a month and deputies less.  How about $40 cash for both and we’ll throw in some extras.”

Heyes’ brow raised.  “Extras?”

“Well, no offense, but your clothes are a bit frayed.  We could pay for a new pair of pants, a shirt, socks, and your underclothes.”

“No offense taken,” Heyes assured the man.  “Jobs have been a bit scarce.”

“So is it a deal, Mr…”

“I’m Thaddeus Jones and my friend is Joshua Smith.”

“Joshua, Thaddeus, I'm Milton Grove, the undertaker and unofficial mayor in town.”

Both Heyes' and Curry's eyes widened at his words.

The men shook hands.

“It’s a deal,” Heyes answered with a grin.

“Excellent!  We’ll show you the jail and a boarding house where you’ll be staying, Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith… Smith and Jones?” Milton Grove asked, skeptically.  

“There’s a lot of folks in this world named Smith and Jones.  We just happen to be two of them,” Heyes explained as he paid the lunch bill.  “Still want us for the job?”

Milton Grove looked around at the other merchants who nodded or shrugged their shoulders.  “At least for a week and we’ll go on from there.”

~ * ~ *~ * ~

Mr. Grove led the new sheriff and deputy through the town of Russell Gulch.  “You’ll be staying at the Tucker Boarding House.  “Mrs. Tucker runs the place and is a very good cook.  The couple came from Illinois, and he died in a blizzard.”  Grove shook his head and sighed.  “Sad day.  Thankfully, Mrs. Tucker stayed here and opened one of the best boarding houses in the area.  I’m sure you’ll be comfortable.  Ah, here we are now.”

Heyes and the Kid looked up and saw a large, two-story house with a porch along the front.  There were a few rocking chairs and a porch swing below a sign that read ‘Tucker Boarding House’.

Milton Grove knocked on the door.

A lovely lady with auburn hair pulled up in a bun answered the door.  “Well, hello Mr. Grove.  How can I help you?”

“Mrs. Tucker, I was wondering if you still had a room available.”

“I do.”  She looked past Grove to the men behind him.

“As you’re aware, our sheriff and deputy were killed in the bank robbery.”

Mrs. Tucker nodded.  “So terrible.”

“These men have agreed to take the jobs of sheriff and deputy until we get permanent ones.”  He motioned the men forward.  “Mrs. Tucker, this is Sheriff Thaddeus Jones and Deputy Joshua Smith.”

The men took off their hats and politely nodded.  “Ma’am.”

“The town will be paying for their lodging while they are here,” Grove continued.

“Well, I consider Russell Gulch lucky to have two replacements so quickly.  Let me show you your room so you can put your things away.”  Mrs. Tucker opened the door, welcoming them into her boarding house.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry were making themselves familiar with their new office.  While Curry checked out the cells, Heyes sat at the desk and went through the drawers. He looked up and watched his partner a moment, then called out, “Hey, wanna remove those two wanted posters?”

The Kid went from the cells to the board and smirked.  “Which posters?”

“Sam and Belle Starr… Whose posters do you think I meant?”

Curry smiled as he removed the posters for Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry with the $10,000 reward each and handed them to the new deputy.  “Here you go.”

Heyes stuffed them in the back of a drawer.  “Can’t believe you’re the sheriff,” he grumbled.

Kid Curry smiled as he checked the guns.  “These have to be cleaned.  Wanna walk through town and get a feel for it?”

“May as well do our first walk-through together and introduce ourselves.”

“And make sure we don’t know nobody.”

~ * ~ *~ * ~

The two former outlaws, now lawmen, sauntered through the town of Russell Gulch meeting the merchants and townsfolk, checking alleys, inspecting the security of the bank and assay office, tipping hats to ladies, stopping for unheard conversation with shopkeepers and business owners.

“Well, that’s what I call a good day,” the Kid commented as they ate a quick meal at the boarding house.

“I guess you could call it that,” grumbled Heyes.

“Oh, you’re just sore that you’re Deputy Smith.”  Curry took a sip of water.  “How do we wanna work this out?  Take shifts?”

“You’re the sheriff.  You tell me.”

“Quit harpin’ on that, Joshua!  I didn’t decide that and it’s gonna be a long week if you don’t accept it.”

Heyes sighed.  “You’re right.  What shifts do you want?”

“Well, I’m thinkin’ both of us should be on duty until almost one when the saloons start slowin’ down.”

“I’m more of a night owl so I don’t mind the night shift.”

“That’s what I was thinkin’.  I’ll sleep durin' the night and relieve you around nine for breakfast.”

Heyes nodded.  “I’ll sleep during the day and come in around five.”

The Kid put his fork down and slid his chair a few inches from the table.  “Those will be some long hours.”

“Yep.”  Heyes finished his dinner.  “What if there’s a problem, like a bank robbery, while only one of us is on duty?”

“I was thinkin’ of that, too.”

“Can’t let anything go wrong; the governor or Lom might hear about it.”

“I know.  There’s two cells.  We could put up blankets for privacy and sleep in one of them.”

“And give up the comfortable bed here?”

“You got a better plan?”  Kid Curry raised a brow.

“Nope.  I was gonna suggest sleeping in the cell, too.”  Heyes stood and stretched.  “We can try it out and, if it don’t work out, sleep here.”

“Thank you for the delicious meal, Mrs. Tucker.”  Sheriff Jones stood and put his hat on.  “Guess we better get over to the office.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Sheriff!  Sheriff, come quick!”  A teen ran down the street towards the jail.

Heyes and the Kid dropped the blanket they were hanging and ran outside.

“What is it?”  Curry’s hand hovered over his gun.

“Otto from the El Dorado Saloon told me to get you.  It’s Loco Logan.” The youth turned and hurried back towards the saloon with the new lawmen following.

Bang… Bang…

“How do you want to handle this?” Heyes asked.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski H_and_11

“Just gonna disarm him.  You wanna go in the front and distract him and I’ll go in the back and get his gun?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Heyes walked into the saloon.  “Howdy, Logan.”

The town’s drunk spun around.  “Howdy, Deputy,” Logan slurred.  “I just wanna drink and Otto here won’t give me none.”  

Heyes noticed his partner quietly entering the back door and making his way towards the drunk.  “How many have you had?”

“Not enough.  I’m standin’, ain’t I?”

“How about putting the gun away before someone gets hurt?” Heyes suggested.

“Folks listen when I got my gun.  No one pays no attention to me if I don’t have it.”

Heyes held out his hand.  “I’m listening.  How about giving it to me?”

“Nope, I… HEY!”

Kid Curry grabbed the gun from Logan’s hand and quickly unloaded the few bullets left.  “I’ll give you your gun back if you give me the rest of your bullets.”

“Heck no.”

“Well, then I guess I’ll keep it locked up in the jail.”

“You puttin’ my gun in a cell and lockin’ it up?”  Logan staggered and grabbed onto a chair.

Heyes quickly grabbed his arm to steady him.  “The gun’s just going into the office, not a cell.”

“When was the last time you ate, Logan?” the Kid asked.

“Ah… Ah… I dunno.”

“How about a meal instead of more liquor?  You can come to the office and talk with us,” Sheriff Jones suggested.  “I can get you the special for the day and bring it to the office, while Deputy Smith...”  He looked at Heyes.

Seeing the plea in his partner’s eyes, Heyes shrugged.  “Sure.  The sheriff will get you a meal and…” he sniffed, “and I'll get you cleaned up.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

An hour later, Logan was clean and finishing his meal at the desk.  “You’re the best lawmen ever!” he exclaimed.

Heyes and Curry smiled.

“So, tell us about yourself, Logan,” Heyes encouraged as he handed him a cup of coffee.

“Well, I’m the town’s drunk.”

“You haven’t always been that.  What’d you do before you came to Russell Gulch?”

“You ain’t gonna believe me.”

“Try us.”  Curry sat down at the desk and began cleaning a rifle from the case.

“I was a deputy, just like you.”  Logan pointed to Heyes.  “Even had me a pretty gal I was courtin’.”

“Where was that?” Heyes asked.  “When?”

“Oh shoot, about four years back in eastern Missouri.  Thought I’d come west and get rich minin’ gold.  Wanted to impress Edna Lou and her pa.”

“But no gold.”  Curry wiped the rifle barrel.

“Actually, I found gold.  How do you think I pay for my bottles?”

“So, what happened?”  Heyes crossed his legs at the ankles.

“I telegraphed Edna Lou, but she was already marryin’ Albert.  I drank a bottle when I got the news and never saw a reason to stop.”

Heyes sat up straight.  “What if we give you a reason to stop drinking?”

Logan frowned.  “What kinda reason you have in mind?”

“What about being a deputy again?  You can give it a try while we’re here and see if you like it.”

“You’d give me a second chance?”

“Sure.  Everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance.  Right, Sheriff Jones?”

Curry smiled.  “That’s right.  I’ll go talk to Mr. Grove.  But, Logan, no drinkin’.  Not even a sip.  We have a deal?”

Loco Logan stood up and held out his hand.  “Deal!”

“So, what do we call you?” Heyes asked.  “What’s your first name?”

Logan looked down and muttered.

Curry cocked his head.  “What was that?  Didn’t hear you.”

“Horatio… Horatio Logan.”

“Logan it is!”  Heyes smiled.

“I’m gonna hold on to your gun until you prove yourself.”  The Kid put the gun in a desk drawer.

“Yes, sir.  I won’t let you down.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith went by the undertaker’s place in the morning to talk to the unofficial mayor, Milton Grove.  A bell rang when they entered the door.

“Good morning, gentlemen.”  Grove came out of the back room wiping his hands on a towel.  “How can I help you?  You don’t already have a customer for me, do you?”

Curry shook his head.  “No, no new customers, but we do wanna talk to you.”

“Oh?  About what?  You’re not quitting already?  We have a deal that you’ll stay at least through the week.”

“Oh, we plan on doing just that.”  Heyes gave his best smile.  “We’re here to talk about Logan.”

“Loco Logan?  What’d he do now?”

“Do you, by chance, know anything about Logan?  His background and why he escapes into a bottle?” Heyes asked.  

“No, he’s just always been Loco Logan, the town drunk.”

“He was a deputy in Missouri with a pretty gal.  Came west to find his fortune and, by the time he did, his gal was marrying someone else.  Started drinking and never stopped.”  Heyes paused.  “We think he deserves a second chance at life…”

“And we could use another deputy,” Curry added.

“Ahh… Loco Logan is going to have to prove himself to me and the rest of the town.  Won’t be easy giving up the bottle.”

Sheriff Jones nodded in agreement.  “I told him not even a sip or the deal is off.  What do you think?”

“I think if you two can convince him to stop drinking and clean up his life, the town would be willing to give him a second chance.  Of course, we can’t pay him until we’re sure he’s dry.”

Heyes and Curry smiled.

“That’s what I was hopin’ to hear you say.  Guess we’ll get back to work.”  Sheriff Jones tipped his hat, and they left the building.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That afternoon, Heyes rested in the boarding house while Sheriff Jones and the newly deputized Logan made their rounds, especially the saloons.

“Gus, if you see Logan drink anything besides coffee, water, or sarsaparilla, I wanna hear about it.”

“You got it, Sheriff.  Good luck to you, Deputy Logan.”  Gus went back to wiping glasses clean.  “Sure hope you can make this work.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Deputy Smith walked around the quiet town of Russell Gulch in the wee hours of the morning, checking the alleys and back streets.  He circled the bank, tried merchants’ doors, and peeked into windows.  He walked over to the train depot and looked at the chalkboard for the next train due in.

He noticed a discarded train schedule and pocketed it.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones walked into the office and poured himself a cup of coffee.  “Mornin’, Joshua.  Thanks for makin’ coffee.  How’d it go last night?”

“Quiet.”

“Just like we want it.  Mrs. Tucker is still makin’ breakfast, if you wanna head over there.”

“Think I will.”  Heyes stood, stretched, and put on his hat before leaving.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones sat at a desk covered with papers.  “Who knew there was so much paperwork bein’ a sheriff!” Curry grumbled.

Heyes lay in a cot in the cell reading a book.  “Lom probably knows.”  He turned the page.

The Kid threw his pen down in frustration.  “You wanna be the sheriff?  You don’t mind paperwork.”

“Nope.  Think I’ll stay the deputy and read this book.”

A stagecoach was heard passing the office.  Heyes stood and put on his hat.

“Where you goin’?”

“I’m gonna check on who gets off the stage.  See if it’s someone we know or someone who looks like trouble.  Thinking we should probably always check the stage and train when they arrive.”

“Good idea.”  The Kid picked up an apple from the corner of his desk.

“Have fun with your paperwork!” Heyes commented as he closed the door.  A second later an object hit the doorframe and he grinned.  “An apple a day...”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Deputy Logan’s hands shook as he held onto his coffee cup with both hands.

“How you doing, Logan?” Heyes asked.

“Wouldn’t be a lie to say I’ve felt better.”

“Haven’t had a sip, have you?”  Heyes raised a brow.

“No sir!”

“Probably have the shakes ‘cause your body’s wanting it,” Heyes commented.  “Stay strong and they’ll go away.”

“I know, but it ain’t easy.”

“Nothing worth wanting is easy.”  Heyes went back to reading the train schedule.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

About a week later, Sheriff Jones entered the jail.  “Mornin’, Joshua.”

Heyes stood up and stretched.  “Morning.  What’s for breakfast?”

The Kid poured himself some coffee.  “Ham, eggs, and toast.”

They heard a knock and the door opened.  Milton Grove peered inside.  “Oh, good.  We were hoping you’d both be here.  Come on in, gentlemen.”

Several men, including Gus and Earl, joined Grove inside.

“What can we do for you, Mayor Grove?”  Curry stood behind the desk with Deputy Smith.

“It’s been a week and, well, we’re wondering if you’re going to stay?”

The former outlaws, now lawmen, made eye contact and both made a quick nod.

“If you’ll have us, we’re willin’ to stay for a month,” the sheriff said.

“And how are the accommodations?  Everything okay?” asked the banker.

“Mrs. Tucker has been wonderful, and the new clothes were much appreciated,” Heyes commented.

“And the food is delicious,” the Kid added.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Sheriff, come quick!  The store’s bein’ robbed!” a boy shouted as he burst into the jail.

Sheriff Jones quickly rose from behind his desk and hurried out the door.  “Which store?”

“McGregor’s Mercantile.”  The youth followed behind.

“Deputy Smith is makin’ his rounds.  Find him and let him know.”  Curry picked up the pace down the block.

“Will do, Sheriff!”  The boy turned down a side road.  “Deputy Smith!”  He stopped a friend.  “Have you seen Deputy Smith?”

“Yeah, he was goin’ into the Gold Nugget a few minutes ago.  What happened?”

“McGregor’s bein’ robbed and the sheriff told me to find Deputy Smith.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones backed against the outer wall of the store and pulled out his gun.  He slowly took a step to peer into the window and then frowned.  Holstering his weapon, he went into the store.  “Mr. McGregor, I heard you were bein’ robbed.”

“Sheriff, I’m glad you came so quickly!  Here they are!”  Mr. McGregor held tight to the shirts of a boy and a girl; both had tears running down their faces.

“These kids were robbin’ you?” the Kid asked.

“Yes!  And…”

Deputy Smith rushed into the store with his gun drawn.  “What’s going on?”

“It appears these children were robbin’ Mr. McGregor.”

“Oh, I thought…”

“Me, too.”  

“Are you two going to do something?” the storekeeper asked, exasperated.

“Of course.”  

Deputy Logan ran into the store.  “I heard the store was bein’ robbed so I came over to see if you needed me, Sheriff,” he panted, out of breath.

“Good timin’.  Can you both take these kids over to the jail while I talk to Mr. McGregor?”

“Sure thing.”  Heyes took the young girl by the shoulder.  “Logan, you bring the boy.  Let’s go.”

“We’re sorry, mister,” the girl sniffled.

“Yeah, sorry you got caught, I bet,” McGregor said.

Heyes and Logan escorted the two children down the street.

“So, tell me what happened.”  Sheriff Jones crossed his arms in front of him and leaned against the counter.

“Well, I was helping one of the miners with his order.  I turned my back for a few minutes when I noticed them both pocketing something.”

“What did they take?” asked the Sheriff.

“All this here on the counter.”  McGregor pointed to some food items.  “The girl had some cans in her pockets and the boy had a few apples and some jerky.”

“About how much do you figure they tried to take?”

“Oh, I’d say maybe $2.00.”  The man did a few calculations in his head.  “Actually, $2.05.”

“Anything you can’t sell now?”

“Those apples are probably bruised.  Will be hard to sell them.”

Kid Curry pulled out a dime.  “This should cover the apples, right?”

“That’ll cover them.”  The man took the coin.  “What are you going to do to them?  Bad upbringing, if you ask me.”

“More like just hungry,” muttered the sheriff under his breath.

“What was that?” the storekeeper asked.

“Just commentin’ how there’s a little bad in everyone, Mr. McGregor.”

“Well, maybe, but you have to come down on them hard.  Show them a life of crime doesn’t pay.”

“First I gotta find out where they belong.”  The sheriff pushed off the counter, tipped his hat, and took the apples.  He sighed as he walked out of the store and headed towards the jail.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Last edited by royannahuggins on Fri 04 Mar 2022, 10:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski
Post Sun 27 Feb 2022, 1:04 am by royannahuggins

Heyes sat the two kids in chairs in front of the desk.  “When was the last time you ate?”

The younger boy looked over to his sister.

“Yesterday mornin’ we found some eggs,” she said with her face downcast.

“Found eggs or took some?”  Heyes sat on the edge of the desk.  “Deputy Logan, can you go to the café and get some sandwiches?”  He pulled out some money.

“Don’t you worry none.  I got this.”  Logan left the office just as the sheriff entered.

Curry joined his partner and leaned on the other side of the desk.  “What’s your names?”

‘I’m Tillie and he’s Tommy.”

“Got a last name?”

“Barton,” the girl whispered.

“How old are you?”

“Eleven and seven.”

“Almost eight,” Tommy said quickly.  He scooted closer to his sister and grabbed her hand.

“Where’s your folks?”

“Gone.”  Tears streamed down Tillie’s face.

Heyes pulled out a bandana and handed it to her.  “What happened?”

“The wagon tipped and they were killed.”  Tillie began to cry in earnest.

“Do you know where?”

“We…we came into town from that way.”  Tillie pointed towards the east.  

“We’ve been walkin’ for several days,” Tommy added with a sniff.

“Must be towards the pass.  Logan and I’ll go check it out when he comes back with food.”

Kid Curry nodded.

“What’s gonna happen to us?” Tommy asked, fearful.  “Are we goin’ to prison?”

“No, we don’t send kids to prison for stealin’ some food.  What you did was wrong, though.  Do you understand?”

Tillie and Tommy nodded.

Deputy Logan arrived.  “Here’s some sandwiches.  I got them some milk and a cookie, too.”

“Wipe your eyes and take the food from the deputy.  Here’s some apples, too.  We’ll be right back.”  Sheriff Jones motioned with his head for his deputies to follow him outside.

“Did you find out anything?” Logan asked.  “Who are they?”

“Tommy and Tillie Barton,” the Kid informed him.  “Both of you are gonna ride out to the pass.  Sounds like there was an accident and their folks were killed.”

“I’ll get a wagon from the livery.  We may have bodies or belongings to bring back.”  Heyes took off his hat and ran his fingers through his hair.  “Hope we don’t find what I’m thinking we’ll find.”

“Me, too,” the Kid agreed.  “Meanwhile, I’ll keep them here with me.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A wagon pulled into town and stopped in front of the jail.

Heyes dismounted and tied his horse to the back of the wagon.  “Thaddeus?”

Sheriff Jones came out of the jail.  He looked down into the wagon, lifted the four blankets one by one and sighed.  His concern deepened as he saw the small bodies beneath the last two.  “Damn.  They lost their whole family.”  He turned to his partner.  “We know how that feels, don't we?”

Heyes nodded.  “Where are the kids?”

“I took them over to the boarding house and asked Mrs. Tucker if she’d mind gettin’ them cleaned up.  I didn’t want them here when you pulled up.”

“Good idea.”

“It was bad, Sheriff, real bad.  I’ve never had to do that before and hope I don’t ever have to again,” Logan commented as he climbed out of the wagon.  “Not just their folks.  The two young’uns were the hardest to see.”

Curry silently nodded.

“Salvaged what we could from the wagon.  There’s some clothes that’ll fit Tillie and Tommy.  I got a few things they might want to have, like the family Bible.”  Heyes went towards the wagon.  “May as well unload those things here before taking the bodies to the mortuary.”

The three men unloaded a few small trunks from the wagon with the Barton’s belongings into the office.

“I’ll take them over and then return the wagon and horse to the livery,” the deputy volunteered.

“Thanks, Logan.”

Heyes and the Kid walked into the office and sat down.

Curry threw his hat on his desk and sat down.  “What’re we gonna do with those kids?”

“I don’t know, Kid.  Heyes shook his head and sighed.  “I don’t know.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"Incline thine ear, O Lord, unto our prayers, wherein we humbly pray thee to show thy mercy upon the souls of thy servants, whom thou hast commanded to pass out of this world, that thou wouldst place them in the region of peace and light and bid them be a partaker with thy saints.  Through Christ our Lord.  Amen."

The sheriff, his two deputies, Mrs. Tucker, and Mr. Grove, along with the two children stood around the graves and said in unison, “Amen.”  Tillie and Tommy silently cried.

“What… What’s gonna happen to us now?” Tillie asked, tears streaming down her face.

“Well, you’re coming back to my place, if it’s all right with you, Sheriff?”  Mrs. Tucker hugged the children close to her.

“We’d be obliged to you, Mrs. Tucker.”  Curry knelt so he was face to face with the children.  “Tillie, where did you say you came from?”

“Illinois.  Peoria, Illinois.”

“Do you have any relatives there?  Maybe grandparents?”

“Grandma and grandpa died, huh, Tillie?”  Tommy wiped his eyes with his shirtsleeve.

Tillie nodded.  “Last year they both got real bad sick and died.”

“What about an aunt or an uncle?  Maybe a cousin?”

“Aunt Ginny is Ma’s sister.  She lives in Kentucky.”  Tillie heaved a deep sigh and looked down at the ground as she added, “But she don't want us.”

Curry frowned.  “What makes you think that?”

“'Cause I heard Ma say she's got more kids than she can handle.”  She raised tear-filled eyes to look into his.  “Why would she want two orphans to take care of?”

The Kid smiled at her.  “Well, you don't know that for sure now, do you?”

Tillie sniffed.  “Well...no.”

“Do you know where in Kentucky?  I’m sure she’ll want to know what happened.”

Tillie bit her lower lip and furrowed her brow.  “I think Lexington.  Or Louisville.  It started with a L.”

“You may want to check the Barton’s Bible and see if there are pages with family information in it that will help,” Mrs. Tucker suggested.

Curry stood up and put his hat back on.  “That’s a good idea.  Logan, you do the noon rounds so Joshua can go back to the boarding house and get some sleep before the night shift.  I’ll get the Bible and bring it to the office.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes walked into the office with a covered dish.  “Mrs. Tucker said to bring this to you now since she’ll be busy with the kids later.”  He placed the plate on the desk and sat down.

“Good, I’m hungry now.”  Curry pushed aside some papers and pulled the plate closer to him.  He removed the towel.  “Mmm… roast beef, potatoes, and carrots.”

“It was delicious.  There’s a piece of pie in the kitchen for you when you go back, too.  Heyes glanced at the paperwork.  “Any luck finding relatives?”

Curry pushed the Bible towards his partner.  “Has the deaths of the grandparents and an uncle in it.  I sent telegrams to Mrs. Virginia Stanton in Lexington and Louisville.”

“And…?”

“Got this telegram back.”  He pushed a piece of paper towards Heyes.

Heyes read it and threw the paper down.  “Sad to hear about her sister but unable to take the children.  Possible uncle on father’s side.”

“Who is dead, according to the Bible record.”

“So, we’re back to what to do with the children.”

“Yep.”  Curry cut his meat and ate.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry yawned as he entered the Tucker’s Boarding House that evening.  He took his dirty plate to the kitchen and rinsed it off before eating his berry pie.  As he climbed the stairs to their room, he heard Mrs. Tucker putting the children to bed.  He went to the door and watched as they prayed:

“Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
May God guard me through the night,
And wake me with the morning light.”

“Good night, Tommy.  Good night, Tillie.”  Mrs. Tucker kissed them on their foreheads as she pulled the blanket up and tucked it under their cheeks.  

Curry smiled and quietly went to his room.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry walked into the office the next morning with a big smile.  “Joshua, wait’ll…”

Heyes poured a second cup of coffee and handed it to his partner.  “I’m glad you’re here.  I came up with a plan about Tillie and Tommy.”

“Mrs. Tucker!” they said in unison.

“She’d be perfect!  You should have seen her tuck the children into bed.”  Curry took a sip of coffee.

“At dinner, she had the children laughing,” Heyes added.  “And it sounds like she has the means to provide for them.”

“Both can help with the boarding house, too.”

“We just have to somehow make her see that she’d be the best parent for raising those two kids.”  Heyes started pacing.

“Better than sending them to an orphanage.  They might be separated and they're all each other has.”  The Kid sipped his coffee.

The office door slowly opened while someone knocked.  “Sheriff Jones?  Deputy Smith?”  Mrs. Tucker stood at the doorway.  “Are you busy?”

“No, no.  Come in, Mrs. Tucker.”  Heyes ushered her in as he closed the door and offered her a chair.  “Please sit down.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt...”

“You’re not interruptin’ us at all, Mrs. Tucker,” the Kid assured her.  “How can we help you?  Are the children okay?”

“I’m glad you are both here to talk to.  It’s about the children that I came.”  She looked around the office.  “Have you found relatives to take the children?”

Sheriff Jones shook his head.  “No, we haven’t.”

“No relatives at all?” she questioned.

Heyes sat in the other seat in front of the desk.  “Mrs. Barton’s sister lives in Kentucky but can't take them.  According to Tillie, she has a lot of children and two more would be too many.  She asked us to check with Mr. Barton’s brother, however, according to the family Bible, he died before their trip.”

“Oh, I see.  I was just hoping they could go to a relative.”  Mrs. Tucker stood up.  “I would hate to see them go to an orphanage.”

“So would we, Mrs. Tucker.”  Kid Curry stood up, too, and Heyes joined him.

“I should get back to them.  They’re just waking and one of my tenants, Mrs. Bell, said she’d watch them for a few minutes.”

“I’ll escort you home since I’m goin’ back, too.”  Heyes put on his hat.  “Have a nice day, Thaddeus.”

“You get some rest, too, Joshua.”

Heyes escorted Mrs. Tucker to the door and crossed his fingers behind his back so only Curry could see before closing it.

The Kid sat down at the desk and sighed.  “More paperwork.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The following day, Heyes and Mrs. Tucker came into the jail office in the late afternoon.

The Kid glanced up; a questioning look on his face.

“Mrs. Tucker says there’s something she wants to discuss with us, Thaddeus,” Heyes offered as a reason.

Curry stood and offered a chair.  “Please sit down, Mrs. Tucker.”  

“Thank you, Sheriff.”  The widow sat down.  “And thank you for taking the time to talk with me.”

“Of course.”  The Kid sat back down.  

“About the children…” Mrs. Tucker hesitated.  “I’m just not sure it is good for this current arrangement to continue.”

Heyes quickly sat down beside her.  “No?”

She shook her head.

Curry let out the breath he had been holding.  “I’m sorry to hear that, Mrs. Tucker.”

“You see, it’s just not fair to me or the children.  You do understand, don’t you?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Heyes said, trying to keep the disappointment from his voice.

“Sheriff, do you know when the judge will be in town again?”  She smiled.  “I would like to ask permission of the court to adopt Tillie and Tommy.”

“You would?”  Kid Curry’s eyes lit up.

“That’d be wonderful!”  Heyes grinned.

“Yes, I've given it a lot of thought, and even prayed about it, since we talked last.  If the court, and the children, are in agreement, I would like to become their mother.”

Deputy Logan walked into the office.  “All’s quiet in town, Sheriff.  Oh, I’m sorry.  I didn’t know we had company.”  He removed his hat and smiled.  “Mrs. Tucker, ma’am,” he acknowledged.

“Perfect timing, Logan.”  Heyes stood up.  “Mrs. Tucker just told us her intentions of adopting Tillie and Tommy.

“Oh, ma’am, that wonderful news!  You’ll make a great mother to those two.”  

“Thank you, Deputy Logan.”  Mrs. Tucker blushed.  “That’s if the court will approve it and the children are willing.”

“I’m sure they will be, ma’am.”  Logan smiled shyly at the widow.  “They’re the happiest I’ve seen them since the loss of their family.”

Mrs. Tucker turned toward her boarders.  “I was hoping you could both be with me when I ask the children.”

“We’d be happy to.”  Kid Curry looked towards his deputy.

“Go!”  Logan nodded.  “I’ll be good here by myself for a few hours.  If I need you, I’ll send someone to get you.”

“Thanks, Logan.”  Sheriff Jones opened his desk and took out a weapon.  “Here’s your gun.  Maybe clean it while you’re here.”

The trio left the office and headed towards the boarding house.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Tillie and Tommy sat on the couch.  Sheriff Jones sat on his haunches while Deputy Smith and Mrs. Tucker occupied chairs facing the couch.

“Tommy and Tillie,” the sheriff started off.  “We tried real hard to find relatives for you to go live with, however, the only living relative isn't able to take you in at this time.”

Tillie and Tommy looked downcast.

“But,” Heyes added quickly.  “We think we have a solution to where you’ll live.”  He motioned to Mrs. Tucker to continue.

Mrs. Tucker leaned forward, took their hands and smiled.  “Tillie and Tommy, I would love for you to live with me, if you’re willing.”  

Both children looked up.

“With you?  Here?” Tommy asked.

“Both of us?” Tillie questioned.

“Both of you, here with me, if a judge will allow me to adopt you.”

Tillie looked towards the lawmen.  “Is there a reason a judge would say no?”

“None that we know of.”  Heyes grinned.

The Kid smiled.  “I never answered your question before, Mrs. Tucker.  I think Judge Stewart can be in town in about a month.  He sent me a telegram this morning asking if there was a reason for him to come to town.  I’ll let him know there is.”

“So, you’ll be our new ma?” Tommy asked, grinning from ear-to-ear.

Mrs. Tucker nodded.  “I'd love to have you as my son and daughter.”

Both children jumped up and hugged their new mother.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith looked on, then turned to each other and shared a look.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The teacher smoothed out her calico dress, patted her bun to make sure no hair was out of place, and rang the school bell.  The children ran in from all directions and began to form a line right outside of the school.  

“Good morning, Miss Blackwell,” some of the children chimed, as she opened the door, welcoming her pupils into the classroom.

“Hurry and sit down so we have time to read more of our book today.”  She warmly smiled as she watched them file into the room and take their seats.  Walking to the front of the room she glanced around and noticed two empty seats among the middle and older children.  Miss Blackwell frowned.  “Where are your absent friends?” the teacher asked.

The children hushed immediately and stared straight ahead.

“Children, do you know where Bobby and Joe are?”

Some students in the class looked down and bit their bottom lip.

The oldest boy in the class fumbled with his hands but did not speak.

“Jacob, where are they?” the teacher persisted.  “Fishing?”

“No, ma’am,” Jacob answered quietly.

“Hunting?”

“No, ma’am.”

“Jacob, do you know where they are?”

He shook his head.

One of the younger girls with her blonde hair in two braids, pointed out the window.

Miss Blackwell looked over.  “They’re outside, Amy?”  She went to the window but didn’t see anyone.  “Well, they’re not on the school or church grounds.”

The teacher went over by girl and knelt, so she was the child’s height.  “Amy, do you know where they are?”

She nodded.

“Where are the boys?”

“I heard ‘em talkin’ about goin’ to the old minin’ area.”

Miss Blackwell stood up, trying to keep her expression neutral.  “Doesn't the old mining area have lots of holes in the ground where someone could fall in, Jacob?”

“Yes, ma’am.”  Jacob nodded.

“Did anyone else hear them talk about going over there?”

Tommy slowed raised his hand.  “I did, too, Miss Blackwell.”

“Tommy, you know the sheriff and deputy, right?”

He sat up straighter and smiled.  “Yes, ma’am.  They kinda live with us.”

“Please go get them and ask them to come here.  Run!”

Tommy jumped up from his desk and darted out the door.  He ran as fast as he could, nearly knocking down a woman coming out of the mercantile.  “Sorry, ma’am,” he yelled over his shoulder.  He pushed open the door to the sheriff’s office and put his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Logan looked up from the desk where they were talking about how to do the paperwork.

“Tommy, why aren’t you in school?” the sheriff asked.

“Miss… Blackwell… said to… get you!” the child said between breaths.

Curry quickly stood and grabbed his hat.  “There must be a problem at the school.  Let’s go, Logan.”

Logan bent down.  “Hop on my back, Tommy, so we can walk faster.”

“Okay.”  The boy climbed on the deputy’s back and hung on as the two men hurried to the school.

The trio arrived moments later and entered the classroom.  The Kid removed his hat and Tommy slid off the back of Deputy Logan.

“Ma’am, Tommy said you asked for us?”  The sheriff smiled encouragingly.

“Thank you for coming so quickly!  It may be something or it may be nothing.”  Miss Blackwell walked towards the back of the room.

“Better safe than bein' sorry, ma’am.  How about you tell us outside.  I bet the children can be quiet and behave for a few minutes, right, children?”

“Yes, Sheriff Jones,” came a unison answer.

Kid Curry opened the door for the teacher.  “After you, ma’am.”

The three adults walked down the steps and huddled to talk.

“Two of my students are missing.  I heard they were going to the old mining area.”

Curry looked towards his deputy.  “Where’s that?  What’s it like?”

Logan removed his hat and ran his fingers through his hair.  “About a mile from the current mine to the north.  That’s not a safe area.  There’s a lot of vertical shafts, some hidden in the tall grass.  If you don’t know where they are, you could take a wrong step and fall down into one.”

Miss Blackwell gasped as she put a hand to her mouth.

“How big of an area are we talkin’ about?”

“A couple hundred acres,” Logan replied.

“Who are the students?” the Kid asked.

“Bobby Jackson and Joe Taylor.”

“Do the families live in town?”

“The Jacksons do.  The Taylors live about a mile east,” the teacher informed them.  “I can tell the ones in town what’s going on.”

“I know the Taylor family, Sheriff.  I can go let them know,” Logan offered.

“Okay, let’s saddle up the horses and I’ll get Joshua.  No need to get anyone upset since we could just find two boys out on an adventure, but more hands are better to search the area.”  Sheriff Jones turned towards his deputy.  “Logan, hurry to the Taylors but don’t wait for them.  Need you to show me the area – I’m dependin’ on you.  Meet me and Joshua on the road just north of the mine.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The Kid hurried up the stairs in the boarding house and opened the bedroom door.  “Joshua, need your help.”

Heyes slowly rolled over and yawned.  “What is it?”

Curry threw his partner’s pants and shirt on the bed.  “Hopefully just two boys on a fun adventure.  Got your horse saddled outside.”

Heyes smiled as he sat up and stretched.  “We used to do that.”

“Yeah, but we didn’t go explorin’ an area with vertical mine shafts.”

Heyes’ eyes opened wide.  He grabbed his pants and started putting them on.  “We sure didn’t!  Like to think our adventures weren’t so dangerous.”

“I dunno.  Stealin’ apples from the neighbor could be dangerous.”

“Mr. Lang.”  Heyes stood, put on his shirt and tucked it into his pants.  “Had an air rifle.”

“Could’ve taken an eye out.”

After Heyes had stomped his boots on, the Kid handed his partner the gun belt.

Ready?”

Heyes put on his hat.  “Ready.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith only waited a short time before Logan joined them.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski Badges10

“The Jacksons are on their way.  The missus insisted on coming, so they’ll bring a wagon,” Logan told them.

“Guess it don’t hurt yellin’ for them while we wait,” Curry said, as Heyes shrugged his shoulders.  “JOE!  BOBBY!” he shouted.  

The men strained their ears to hear anything.

“Okay, tell us about the area.”  Heyes looked around, his hands on his hips.

“This area has quite a few vertical shafts.  Some are small for air vents, and some are larger to access the mine.  The taller grass and brush have a tendency to hide ‘em, if you’re not watching out for ‘em.”

“What if they’ve already gone back to town?  Is there another way to get here?” Heyes asked.

“Nope.”  Logan shook his head.  “The road is the most direct way from town, so we would’ve passed them.”

“Guess we should split up and search.”  Curry dismounted.  “Shoot your gun once if you find them.”

The three lawmen went in different directions, cautiously walking while leading their horses.  Occasionally one would yell out the boys’ names.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Almost an hour later, Kid Curry leaned against an aspen and took a drink from his canteen.  He removed his hat and ran fingers through his hair.  Cupping his hands around his mouth, he shouted, “BOBBY!  JOE!”

Listening carefully, he barely heard a faint cry for help.  Alert, he tied his horse to the tree and walked around shouting and listening.

“Help!” came a little louder cry.  “We fell in a hole!”

The Kid looked around for evidence of a hole.  Near a boulder, the grass was matted down.  He walked over.  “Keep talkin’ so I can find you!”

“We’re down here!  Bobby’s hurt bad!”  The voice got louder as the sheriff made his way to the rocks.

The Kid walked carefully around and found a hole.  “Joe, are you down there?”

“Yeah.  Can you help?”

“It’s Sheriff Jones.  I’m goin’ to fire my gun once to get more folks over here to help.”  Curry pulled out his gun and shot once in the air.  He noticed his deputies at a distance look up and around.  He could barely make out a couple in a wagon by the road.

“Help is comin’,” the Kid assured the boy.  “How are you?”

“I’m hurtin’, but I’m okay.  Bobby ain’t awake and his leg looks funny.  I think it’s broken.”

“Okay.  We’ll get you out and there’s a wagon to get Bobby to the doctor’s.  I’m goin’ to get a rope from my horse, but I’ll be right back.”

“Okay.  Please hurry and get us out!”

“We will!”  Curry quickly walked back to his horse, got a rope and headed back.

“Joe, I’m gonna let a rope down slowly.  Let me know when it reaches you so I can see how far down you are.”  

“Okay.”

Kid Curry unwound his rope and started feeding it down the hole.  “Start watchin’ for it.  Is there light down there?  Can you see anything?”

“Just a little.  It’s pretty dark…and scary.”

“Joe, the hole don’t seem too deep; the rope’s not goin’ down.”

“We was slidin’ down, sir, and then it got too steep and we rolled the rest of the way.”

“Huh, so more of a slant it sounds like.”  Curry pulled up the rope.  “I have to tie some weight to the rope, so it’ll go down.”

“You found them?” Heyes asked as he walked up.

“Yep, they’re down this hole.”  The Kid tied a rock to weigh the rope and fed it down again.  “Clear some of the grass from the opening and that brush.”

“Sure.”  Heyes carefully removed the grass from the top of the hole.  “No wonder they didn’t see it.”

“Sounds like they did see it and thought they could slide down.  More of a slant…”

Logan came over to the rocks.  “They okay?”

“I can see the rope, Sheriff.”

“Good, Joe.  I’m gonna pull it up now to see how deep you are.”  Curry marked the rope and began pulling it up.  “Joe’s bruised up, but okay.  Bobby sounds like he’s unconscious and has a broken leg.”  The end of the rope appeared.  “Looks about 40 feet.  One of us are gonna have to go down to help them out.”

“I’ll go,” Logan immediately volunteered.

“Joshua…”  Curry gave him a look.

“What?  Logan said he’d go down.”

“You’re leaner so you won’t disturb the hole, makin' dirt fall in; besides you’ll be easier to pull back up.”

Heyes sighed.  “Fine, I’ll go down.”  He threw his hat down on the ground, took the rope and began tying it around himself.

Kid Curry smiled and took the other end and wrapped it around a tree.  “That’ll help easin’ you down and up.”

“Just don’t let go of it.”  Heyes positioned himself by the hole and waited for the slack to be removed.  “Ready?”

Logan and Curry had tight grips around the end of the rope.  

“Ready when you are, Joshua.”  The Kid made sure his stance and grip were right.

Heyes carefully sat down with his leg in the hole.  “It’s Joe, isn’t it?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I’m Deputy Smith and I’m coming down to help you and Bobby outta the hole.  Are you boys out of the way in case I slide down, too?  I wouldn’t want to land on you.”

“Kinda.  I can’t move Bobby.”

Heyes inched his way over, so his body was in the hole and the rope tightened around him.  “Let me down nice and slow, Thaddeus.”

“Will do.”

Heyes slid on his backside down the hole.  “Okay, I’m at the bottom so give me some slack to move around,” he yelled up.  “Hi’ya, Joe.  How are you feeling?”

“I’m hurtin’, but not bad like Bobby.”

Once he had more rope, Heyes made his way over to the boy on the ground.  “Has Bobby been like this the whole time?” he asked as he gently felt around for bumps and broken bones.

“Yeah.  He’s not gonna die, is he?”  Joe sniffed.

“Nah.  I feel a bump on the back of his head so he’s probably just unconscious.  He fell first, huh.”

“Yeah, how’d you know?”

“Well, the fact that Bobby seems like he has a broken rib and is in worse shape.  I’m betting you fell on top of him, and he cushioned your fall some.”  Heyes stood and untied the rope.  “How about we get you up there first.”

Joe nodded.

Heyes tied the rope around the boy.  “Thaddeus, Joe's ready to be pulled out.”

“Okay.”

The rope slack tightened and slowly Joe started to be hauled up the mountain of dirt.

“Hang onto the rope here.”  Heyes pointed above Joe’s head.  “There you go.  See you up at the top in a few minutes.”

“Thank you, Deputy Smith,” Joe said as he hung on and continued going higher and higher.  “See you soon.”

A few minutes passed.  Heyes yelled, “You got him?”

“Yep,” Logan confirmed.  “Give us a minute and we’ll lower the rope again.”

“Thaddeus, I’m not sure how to get Bobby up.  He’s unconscious and appears to have a broken leg and rib.”

“We have both boys’ fathers here now.  What if you hold him and we pull both of you up at the same time?”

“That’ll work.  I need a few branches or something to put around his broken leg.  Maybe some belts to hold it in place.”

Kid Curry began unbuckling his belt.  “You heard him; Joshua needs some belts and branches to brace the leg.”

Once the needed supplies were tied to the rope, Curry shouted, “It’s comin’ down.”

A minute later, Heyes yelled, “I got it.  Give me extra slack and some time to get him ready.  It’s pretty dark so I’m doing it from feeling.”

“Will do.  Let us know when you’re ready.”

Heyes carefully tied the branches around the leg as a splint, using the belts to hold them in place.  He put a belt fairly tight around Bobby chest, under his arms.  Using another belt, he looped it around the first one and his own, connecting them.  Next, Heyes tied the rope around himself, sitting so he’d be dragged up backside first.  Heyes cradled the boy on his lap, wrapping his arm under Bobby's good side so as not to hurt the ribs.  He supported the boy's weight with his legs to keep him from dragging his feet and risking further injury to the broken leg as they were pulled up.

“Okay, I’m ready,” he called up.  “Take it real slow.”

Curry nodded.  “Will do.”  He turned to the three other men.  “You heard him, nice and slow.”

Heyes held Bobby still and used his hands to move around a rock that jabbed his lower back.

“I see ‘em!” Joe shouted five minutes later.

The slant wasn’t as steep near the top as the Kid went to the hole to help his partner and the boy.  “Just about five feet more… four feet… three feet…two feet…”  Curry stooped down.  “You did it, partner!  Can you hand me the boy?”

“No, he’s attached to me with a belt.  Let me get up all the way and I’ll undo the belt.”

A minute later, Heyes was sitting at the edge of the tunnel.  He disconnected the belt between them and pulled the boy further up into his lap.  “There.  Now you pull him up using the belt around his chest.  Careful of his ribs!”

Curry and the other men reached over and lifted the boy carefully before setting him on the ground.

“It was dark.  I did the best I could not knowing all the injuries,” Heyes explained as he stood up, removed the rope, and began dusting himself off.

“Thank you, Deputy Smith, for bringing up my boy!” a grateful Mr. Jackson said as he knelt by his son.  “You're a real hero!”

“You’re welcome.”  Heyes smiled, his body and clothes filthy from the dirt.  “Just doing my duty as a deputy.”

Logan and Mr. Jackson carried the boy to the wagon while Mr. Taylor slowly walked with his son, Joe.

“I’m sorry, Pa.  We were lookin’ for treasure, and it didn’t seem like the hole was too deep…” Joe’s voice trailed off.

“You’re filthy!”  Kid Curry slung his arm around his partner’s shoulders.  “How about I treat you to a cigar and a brandy while you soak in a hot bath?”

“I’ll take you up on that, Kid.”  Heyes pulled his shirt out of his pants and all kinds of debris fell to the ground – rocks, dirt, dead plants and even a stick.  “Might need a new pair of pants, too.”

“I think Russell Gulch can afford to buy their deputy hero some new pants.”  Curry handed Heyes his horse's reins and watched as the group made it to the wagon.  “Good thing Mrs. Jackson came or there wouldn’t be a wagon.”

Heyes nodded as he mounted his horse.  “Yep.  It’s a good thing there weren’t any mine shafts in Kansas.”

“It would've been just one more thing to add to our long list of misdeeds.”  Curry put his foot into the stirrup, settled into the saddle, then turned to his partner.  “Think about it.  Considerin' everything we did, all the trouble we got into as kids, we're daggone lucky to still be alive!”

“Don't wanna think about it,” Heyes gave a mock-shudder and winked at Curry.  “What makes you think we ever outgrew getting into trouble, Kid?  C'mon, I hear a hot tub of water calling my name – I'll race you back to town.  Loser buys supper!  Hiyaaa!!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Ma, did you hear what happened today?”  Tommy ran into the house and dropped his books on a hall table.

Mrs. Tucker came out of the kitchen with a plate of cookies.  “No, what happened?”

Tillie sat at the table and took a cookie.  “Two boys fell in an old mine shaft…”

“And Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith rescued them!  Miss Blackwell sent me to get the sheriff.  I ran so fast; I could hardly breathe when I got to their office!  Deputy Logan gave me a ride on his back as we all hurried to school.”

“That was awfully nice of Deputy Logan.”  Hattie smiled.  “We’ll have to give him some of these cookies as a thank you.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones poured a cup of coffee and frowned as he sat down at his desk, looking at the paperwork.  “Nothin’s even happened over the past two weeks we’ve been here and still there’s a mountain of paperwork to do,” he muttered.  “Where does it all come from?”  He picked up his mug, blew on the hot drink, took a sip.

“Sheriff Jones!” Deputy Logan shouted as he rushed in, the door almost banging off its hinges.

Coffee misted the paperwork and Curry coughed.  “Dang it, Logan!  What’s so hellfire important?”  He took his bandanna and tried to wipe the droplets of coffee off the papers and desk.

“Sorry, but you better come quick!”  The deputy also removed his bandanna and tried to clean up the mess.  “There’s a gunslinger in town and he’s challengin’ Harold, one of the miners, to a gunfight!”

“Gunslinger?  Does he have a name?”  Kid Curry dropped his bandanna, drew his gun and put a sixth bullet in the chamber.  He twirled his gun and holstered it, making his way to the door.  “Where is he?”

“He was at the Gold Nugget.  You see, Gus offered me a sarsaparilla while I was doin’ my rounds and…”

“Logan, about the gunslinger?”

The deputy hurried behind the sheriff, who was rushing to the saloon.  “He’s big and ugly and wears his gun like you do.  Heard someone call him Wilson.”

“Wilson?  Must be Homer Wilson.  Dang it all.”

“Should I go get Deputy Smith?” Logan asked.

“No, he’s sleepin’ before his night shift.  We can handle this.”

“Are you sure, ‘cause…”

“There he is,” the Kid interrupted him.

“But Sheriff…”

“Not now!”  Curry took in the action happening at the door of the saloon as folks came pouring out of it.

Homer Wilson walked confidently toward the middle of the street and sneered at the reluctant man following him.  “You stand over there and, to make it fair, I’ll have my back to you.  You!”  The gunslinger pointed to a young lad on the boardwalk.  “Start counting to three.  That means, miner, you’ll have three seconds left to live.”  Wilson chuckled.

Sheriff Jones walked out into the middle of the street with his thumbs hooked into his belt.  “There won’t be a gunfight in MY town.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes was sleeping fully clothed on top of the quilt, his hands folded over his chest.

“Mrs. Tucker!” Logan gasped, out of breath.  “I…need… Deputy Smith!”

One of Heyes’ eyes opened.

“Why, Deputy, I think he’s resting…”

“But it’s important!”

Now both of Heyes’ eyes were wide open.

“There’s a gunslinger in town and…”

Heyes jumped out of bed, stomped his boots on, grabbed his gun belt and put it on.  Grasping his hat from a hook, he hurried down the stairs.  “What’s going on, Logan?” he asked as he opened the door.

“Sorry to wake you!  The sheriff told me not to, but he’s in trouble.”

“What kind of trouble?”  Heyes started walking quickly from the boarding house.  “Where’s Thaddeus?”

Logan hurried behind him.  “In front of the Gold Nugget.  You see, there’s a gunslinger, Homer Wilson, who called out one of the miners for his stake.  Sheriff didn’t give me a chance to tell him that Wilson has others with him.”

“How many?”

“Three of ‘em.  I didn’t see them in the street, though.”

Heyes started running.

(to be continued...)

(Writers love feedback! You can comment on Penski’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen. You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous. You can type any name in the box.)

Kattayl likes this post

Penski
Post Fri 01 Apr 2022, 11:31 pm by Penski
So, this story may sound familiar to many as this is a collection of challenges that I wrote.  Several folks said I should combine them all into a VS so I figured out the best way they would flow, added some transition scenes, and made it into an "episode".  Hope you enjoy it!

Kattayl likes this post

Post Sat 02 Apr 2022, 4:55 pm by Kattayl
Oh what a great story! Can't wait for part two. Hope Homer Wilson doesn't recognize Curry.
Post Sat 02 Apr 2022, 6:08 pm by nm131
Great VS Penski, I loved this series of stories and the new improved VS version does not disappoint. The story keeps hopping and the plot and ocs are entertaining. thumbsup The cliffhanger affraid on the other hand is a devious way to end. Can't wait until next week.
Post Fri 08 Apr 2022, 3:14 am by Nightwalker
I loved these stories, when they first appeared as challenge contributions and I'm glad you rewrote them into virtual season episodes. Love the boys as sheriff ans deputy, and I'm very fond of your original characters.
Post Mon 11 Apr 2022, 3:02 pm by Dan Ker
A VS story written as a combination of a series of challenge stories. Another clever possibility and it worked out well!

Funny to imagine the boys in reversed roles - from outlaws to ex-outlaws and now Sheriff and Deputy to maintain order and law -
great career, even if they were chosen out of necessity.
I especially like the introduction with the idea of those two riding into a town like they do so often. I can easily imagine them entering a saloon with their usual swaggering stride, radiating a certain amount of danger and a whole portion of self-confidence. So lovely to see how they always again stumble over their own personalities and skills endangering them to be recognized as wanted men!

I very much like the way Penski describes Heyes being sore because he is in the position of a Deputy - not much to his liking with the Kid acting as his superior. Good to see Kid knows how to handle him.
Kid on the other side enjoys his new job but at the same time learns something about the negative aspects of being in a leading position, often accompanied by lots of paper work.
Sometimes it's good for a leader to take orders and for the respective other one to realize it is not always easy to lead - that's true life.

I like that during the progressive plot Heyes and Curry make a positive impact to more than one person in town. If you get to know them a little closer, you see they are good men with good hearts - despite their tied-down guns. That's the spirit of ASJ.

I had to laugh about Heyes' reluctance to go down the hole, forced to be the acting part. But with a little nudge he fulfills his duty as a Deputy.

Penski's writing style is special in its own way and marked by the rules of the VS. Noticeable, in this story, each new scene or camera setting is marked by pilcrows
(~ * ~ *~ * ~).
The narrative style of Penski is characterized as reliable, grounded, kind of unspectacular, easy to read and placid.
Concentrated on the plot and description of action, together with lots of dialogues.
Sometimes a little more description of the scenery would have made the story a little more vivid, for example the transition to the mining field where they were waiting for Logan.

The end of part 1 is a good cliffhanger, it's getting serious for the new sheriff. Can his Deputy arrive in time to prevent something worse?

Sheriff Jones & Deputy Smith pat 1
Post Mon 08 Apr 2024, 8:41 pm by Laura
The didn't have a problem getting a job in Russell's Gulch. For a small town, they sure had a lot going on. Loco Logan was a great character, they needed help and saw potential in him, it helped that he had some previous experience being a lawman. Children robbing the mercantile and children falling in a mine shaft, they sure were kept busy. Enjoyed it a lot.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 1 by Penski

Page 1 of 1