Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Empty
PostHunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes

Starring

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Heyes_32

Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry

Guest Starring

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Callum10

Callum Keith Rennie as Jack Odium

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Helene10

Hélène Udy as Delilah Brock

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Asher_10

Asher Morrissette as Billy Brock

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Anson_10

Anson Mount as Lou Racine

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2
by Nightwalker & Hanna Heyes

-o-o-o-

The next day Jack and Delilah took Billy into town again.

“Guess the good doctor isn’t keen on seein’ me again anytime soon.”  Jack avoided Delilah’s gaze and sat down on the sidewalk at the corner of the local dressmaker.  “I’ll be waitin’ here for you.”  With a contented smile on his face, his eyes lingered on Delilah crossing the street.  A heavy hand dropping on his shoulder startled him.  He leapt to his feet as rough hands clenched into his shirt and pushed him into the narrow side alley.

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Pic_7_10

Jack spun around and raised his fists ready to fight.  When he got sight of the offender, he dropped his arms, straightened his back and tilted up his chin.

The man in front of him was about forty years old, of heavy build, with shoulder-long dark hair, heavy beard, and a sly glint in his eyes.  His voice was deep and treacherously amicable as he greeted the younger man.  “Hiya, Jeremy, long time no see.”

“Yeah, long time, Racine.  And it’s Jack now.”

Racine laughed.  “Jack?  Alright.  But don’t think a name would change a thing between us.  You know why I’m here.”

“Wanna buy me a beer?” Jack offered with an innocent smile, but showing too much teeth.

“Don’t play dumb with me.”  Racine’s eyes drifted to Delilah and Billy just entering the doctor’s office across the street.  “Nice girl.  Pretty.  Wouldn’t mind spending some quality time with her.”

A dangerous spark appeared in Jack’s eyes.  “Leave her alone!  That’s the kinda thinkin’ that got you locked away.”

“Ah, your girl, ain’t she?”  Racine tilted his head.  “That your brat?”

“Nope.  She’s a widow.  Work for her.  ‘Cause I’ve got all that money you’re after,” Jack said, his voice soft on the surface, but with a core of iron underneath.

“So, you do know what it’s all about.”  Racine’s eyes narrowed as he moved into Jack’s space, trying to back him up against the wall.  But the slender blond stood like a rock, so Racine ended up only inches away from his face and growled, “I know how things went.  One of you sold me out and ran off with the money.  Hank, Slim and Matt had no clue.  Guess who I figured had done this to me?”

Jack leaned into him even more, tilted his head and snarled, “I wasn’t even in on the job.”

“But your uncle Eddy was.  Was supposed to ride shotgun.  Got us the route and all but didn’t show up in the end.  Figured you talked him out of it.”

“He was sick.  Could have cost him his life.”

“He’s dead now, anyway.  You knew enough to set me up!” Racine spat out.

“There was no set-up – just bad timin’, bad plannin’.  I told you back then, but you wouldn’t listen.  There is no money.”

“Ah, of course, that’s what you’ve got to say.  But you can’t reckon I’m going to believe it, do you?”

“Nope, but I can’t change what’s true.”

The older man snorted, turned around and moved a few paces.  He ran his hand over his beard and faced Jack again.  “You know, actually I don’t care what’s on your mind.  I only care about the loot.”

“That’s always been your problem, Lou:  you talk too much and never listen.  There.  Is.  No.  Money.”  Jack’s hands balled into fists and opened again in slow motion.

“Too bad for you, pal.  I can’t let you off the hook that easy; you know that.  I’ve got to keep up my reputation.”

Jack kept silent, glaring at his opponent and tensed up even more.  He gave the impression of a loaded gun ready to go off.

But Racine didn’t act on it.  His eyes were captured by two men sauntering down the street.  He took two steps back, diving deeper into the shadows as he watched Heyes and Curry walk by.  “I’ll be...” he muttered under his breath.

“What?”

“You see those guys?”

“What guys?”

“The two guys heading for the barber.  Tall, one of them slim, dark-haired, black hat.  The other blond and meatier.”

“It’s not my habit watchin’ other guys.  What about them?”

“You know who they are?  I don’t know the blond, but the dark-one sure as heck is Hannibal Heyes.  I bet the brawny-one is his partner, Kid Curry.  You know what that means?”

Jack’s eyes flashed for a beat.  “More guys like us?”

“Like us?” Racine laughed.  “I don’t think so.  They’re worth $10,000 apiece.”

“And why would I care?”

“Shut up and let me think.”

Jack pulled a face, the corner of his mouth twitching, but kept silent.

“You still claiming having no money?” Racine asked after a while.

“Yup.”

“So, you can call yourself lucky, ‘cause there’s the money you owe me.  $20,000 just waiting to be picked up.”  Racine pointed down the street.  “Get me the reward on those two, and I’ll forgive you.  Forget about our little... misunderstanding.”

“You want me to squeal on them?  Rat out Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry, if you’re right with your guess?  You know what messin’ around with them means?”  Upset, Jack pointed two fingers down the street.  “Kid Curry bein’ said to be the fastest gun in the West and Heyes as sharp with his mind he’s no bit easier to get a drop on?”  He thrust out his arms, exposing his chest, and cracked his neck.  “Why don’t you just shoot me right away and get it over with?”

“Don’t tempt me, Jeremy,” the older man growled.  “And there’s still the matter of $20,000.”

Jack dropped his arms again, vaguely indicating the street.  “Alright, so you’re gonna make them shoot me.  Not much of a difference at my end of the deal.”

“Don’t you know, they never shot anyone?”

“There’s a first time for everything!”

“They don’t know you.  And if you’re as smart as your mouth, you’re gonna find a way to take them out one by one before they even know what you’re up to.  They’re wanted dead or alive.  Nobody’s safe from a bullet in the night, not even Kid Curry.”

“You want me to shoot them in the back and make money off their dead bodies?”  Disgust flared up in the corners of Jack’s eyes.

“There was a time when you didn’t care too much about other men’s concerns.  If anything, you liked hurting people in the past, indulging your power.”

“I don’t do that no more.”

“Yeah, I can see that,” Racine sneered.  “Once you were a fierce dog, fighting all the time, but now you’re weak.  They're dead meat, anyway.  It’s only a matter of time until someone guns them down with that price on their head.  You follow them around, take them out tonight, and turn them in come morning.”

“Why don’t you turn them in yourself?” Jack snapped.

“And run into some clever lawman so he can put me away, too?”  The older man laughed, a dirty unpleasant sound.  “No, thanks.  I’m not that stupid.  You owe me.  You’ll turn them in and get me the reward.  Easy as that.  You won’t get the money right away, but you’re gonna tell them you can’t wait that long, and have it sent to Tucson.  I know, I can trust you with this.  You wouldn’t dare cheat me again.”

“I’m not gonna do this!”  Jack lifted up his chin, his face a composition of angles and hard lines.  “I’ve got a choice.  And you can’t make me.”

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Pic_8_10

“Oh, I think I can.  One journey’s gonna end here.  The only choice you should care about is whose journey it is.  And spare me your trying to pretend that woman doesn’t mean a thing to you.  I’m not blind.”  Racine gave him time to let his words sink in, then laid his arm around Jack’s shoulder in a skewed gesture of friendship.

“Actually, I don’t care which way you handle them.  All I care about is the money.  If you win their trust and make them come with you, it’s fine with me.  I’ve seen you dazzle folks in the past.  So cast your spell or use your gun and get me the reward.”

Jack shook his arm off but didn’t respond otherwise.

Racine drew back and continued, “See, for old times’ sake I’m giving you a chance here – a chance to get even, pay me back.  I’ve always liked you.  I wouldn’t want to hurt you, but right now, I’m short of alternatives – just like you.  We’ll meet here at noon, and I’ll watch you turn them in.  You’ll get me that money, we settle the score, and I’ll go to Mexico.  No harm, no foul.  There’ll be no hard feelings between us anymore.  Promise.”

Jack’s eyes were piercing into the other man’s eyes.  “Yeah, we’ll settle the score.  Once and for all.”

“And don’t get funny ideas.  Stick to our plan or your little lady-friend and her brat are getting to know me.  Might not enjoy it as much as I will.”

-o-o-o-

Jack stood alone in the back alley across from the doctor’s, staring at the wall.  His face was dark, his eyes smoldering.  He turned his head when he heard the door of the doctor’s open.  Delilah with Billy in her arms exited.  Her eyes panned the street up and down.

Jack composed himself and approached them, his attitude calm, but serious.  “How is he?”

Delilah shook her head.  “Still no improvement.”

“The doctor ask you to leave Billy with him?”

“Yes, but I told him no.”

“Maybe you should do what he told you.”

Her eyes widened.  “What?  But yesterday you said....”

“I know what I said, Delilah,” he replied softly, “but he’s right.  He’s right.”

“What made you change your mind?”

“Billy’ll get better treatment there.”

She looked him deep in the eyes.  “There’s more to it.  What are you hiding from me?”

Jack averted his eyes and started to turn away, but then looked back at her again.  “Racine... he’s here.  And he’ll come see me.  I can’t have you around then.”

“But why would he care?”

“Old story.  Don’t matter now.  But I don’t want you to get in his way.”

“So, you send us away just like that?”

Several beats passed, a set of emotions flashing through Jack’s eyes, before he came to a decision.  “I can’t protect you,” he admitted quietly.  “You’re not safe with me.  He’s not safe.”  His look indicated the little boy.  “Billy should be in town at the doctor’s.  He’ll get better care there.”  He caught her eyes and held her gaze with incredible intensity.  “Stay with him.  Care for him.  He needs you.  And I need to know you’re safe.”

Gently, Delilah laid her hand on his arm.  “You’re not your father, Jack.”

“I don’t blame him.  There wasn’t much he could do.  But I’ll keep you safe no matter what,” Jack stated.  “I couldn’t live with myself if somethin’ happened to you on my account.  I’ll do whatever necessary to protect you and our boy.”

A brief smile ghosted over her face.  “I know you will.”  Delilah leaned into him and kissed his cheek gently.  “You’re a good man.  You’ll do the right thing.”

Jack avoided her look as he took the boy from her arms.  “Yeah, the right thing.  The right thing; that’s what I’ll do.”

-o-o-o-

Freshly shaven, Heyes and Curry returned to the camp.  Jack was stirring a pot of stew simmering on the fire.  Heyes sat down on a log nearby, stretching his long legs, while the Kid checked his holster.

Heyes took a look around.  “Where’s Delilah?”

“At the doctor’s with Billy.  Boy’s gettin’ better treatment there.”

“Ah.”  Heyes nodded.

They sat quiet; Jack stirring the stew.  Every now and then he threw a quick glance towards the boys.

Heyes observed him for a while and then asked, “What's changed?”

“Nothin’.”

“I know that look.  You know, don’t you?”

“Know what?”

“Who we are,” Heyes pointed out, his dark-brown eyes fixed on the younger man.

“Who are you?”

Kid Curry blinked at Jack leisurely.  “Don’t try playin’ games with us.  Joshua’s better at it, anyway.”

“You mean Hannibal Heyes?”  Jack thrust the ladle into the pot, stood and started pacing about the camp, restlessly.

The ex-outlaws exchanged a meaningful glance.

“So, Racine’s here.  And you met him.”  Heyes reclined and crossed his ankles.  Only silence answered him, so he continued, “C’mon, I’m not stupid.  You can be frank with us.  You expected him.  He knows me – and you didn’t.”

As Jack merely tilted his head and kept silent, Heyes added, “If Racine knows I’m here, he might get ideas I can’t agree with, and I know you expect trouble from him, too.  I suggest we work together as it seems we’re pretty much in the same spot.”

“No!  No, we’re not in the same spot!” Jack shot back.  “I paid my dues!  And I mended my ways!”

“And so did we!” Heyes countered, sitting up straight and lifting his chin.  “We made a deal we’re not able to talk about.  Got out of the business almost two years ago.”

“You did?  But you’re still wanted?”  Jack stopped his pacing and stared at Heyes in disbelief.

Heyes grimaced in mock pain.  “That’s the not so good part of the deal.  And you know how hard it is to change one’s way and lead an honest life, anyway.  Must be even harder for a man like you, having a family.  Though you’re lucky to have someone like Delilah.”

“Yes, I am.  She’s a blessin’.”  A quick smile flashed over Jack’s face, and his look lost its focus.  “She’s been a good girl.  Decent.”  Jack lowered his eyes, then looked up again, and straightened his shoulders.  “I did bad things in the past, things I’m not proud of.  People got hurt.  I didn’t mind.  But then Billy happened, and everythin’ changed.  It’s not that I’ve changed somehow, I decided to make a change, leave my old ways.  It’s a decision to be made day by day by day!  Despite the temptation!”

Jack paused, aggravated, and Heyes nodded slowly before the young man continued.

“And now there’s you two and Racine to worry about!”

“Us?  Why’d you worry about us?  I just told you we went straight!”  Heyes stood up to face Jack, now irritated himself.  Curry also stood and shifted behind his partner.

“And you expect me to just believe the word of one of the most notorious outlaws in the West?!  The one known for his silver tongue and cons?!” Jack snarled with bared teeth and flashing eyes.

Heyes bristled.  “We believe you!  And you were once on the same side we used to be on!”

Jack met the eyes of the ex-outlaw leader and returned his gaze.  Eventually, he looked away, turned and forced himself to sit back down again.  He picked up a stick and started poking the embers, stirring up the flames in front as he tamed those inside of him.  He was completely calm again, when he admitted, “I guess you’ve got a point…”

Both Heyes and Curry sat back in their previous spots as well.

Heyes tried to bring the tension down.  “So, about Racine.  I met him a few times in the past.  Can’t say I’ve missed him.  Who is he to you?”

“Old friend.  Old partner.  Ran together for a while as teens.  Didn’t work out when things got rough.  I shot a man.  Went to trial.  Went to jail.  When I got out things were not the same anymore between us.  One of his jobs blew up and they locked him away.  That’s about it.  Now he’s after me.  He’s been after all of the boys, lookin’ for money, tryin’ to get even.”

Heyes pulled up his legs and leaned slightly forward, his face expectant.  “And the money is...?”

“There is no money.” Jack's voice was adamant.  “Gave me time, ‘till noon tomorrow, waitin’ for me to pay him.  Which I can’t.  Though, if you know him...”

“Yeah, things will get ugly soon either way,” Heyes confirmed.  “Can’t let it go without someone getting hurt.”

“I can’t endanger my son,” Jack declared calmly.  “I’m goin’ to face down Racine.  It’s the only way to keep them safe.”

“You can’t do that,” Heyes told him.  “He’s a murderer and don’t mind more blood on his hands.  There won’t be such a thing as a fair fight.”

“You think I don’t know that?!” Jack busted out, his eyes blazing.  “What else can I do?  Wait ‘till he comes?  Gets me?  Gets them?  You think I’ll let this happen?”

“No, you wouldn’t,” Heyes replied.

“Only over your dead body,” Kid Curry added, his voice calm and his words emphasized.

“And it’s likely you’ll end up with your face in the dirt.  He’s a decent shot and he’s ruthless,” Heyes continued.  “I don’t know about your skills, but even if you best him, you’ll have to stand trial.”

Jack raised his chin slightly, his eyes hard, radiating steely determination.

“Don’t waste your stubbornness on us, Jack,” Heyes replied, unaffected.  “I’m used to dealing with worse.  Thaddeus is a master in that department and can out-stubborn you any given day.”

Kid Curry shot him the look but remained silent.

Jack’s eyes grew darker and his jaws tightened even more.  “I’ve been in jail before.  I can do it again, as long as I know they are safe.”

“You think they can make it without you?”  The Kid lifted his brows, then cocked his head slightly.  “Billy, sick and at a young age, Delilah pretty and with no means and protection?  They need you.  They need you to live!  They need you to be with them and care for them.  You can’t just walk out on those you love no matter what.”  He exchanged a quick glance and a brief smile with his partner.

Insecurity crept into Jack’s bright eyes, his determination visibly cracking, then shattering to pieces.  He dropped his eyes, and his shoulders sagged.  His voice was gravelly when he spoke again.  “No matter how fast or far you’re runnin’, you can’t outrun your past.  It follows you like a shadow, ready to catch up with you at any time.  Catch up with you when you least expect it and bring you down.”

“That’s about it,” Heyes replied softly.  “Unless you stop running, turn around and face your demons.  Then it’s you in control; you deciding about the time and place.  Manipulation of the variables can change the result.”

“That easy, huh?  Control a mad dog like Racine?”

“Control the situation!” Heyes told him.  “You know what he wants and where he’s going to be.”

“Yeah, and I wanted to call him out and take him out once and for all.  Somethin’ that you don't approve of.  And I am not goin’ to gamble on their safety!”  Jack’s eyes darted towards town.

“Oh, you’re going to take him out,” Heyes cracked a bright smile, “and keep your family safe – but with finesse.”

“Finesse?  One for big words, huh?  A lot to ask from one man runnin’ out of time.”

“Ah, there’s where you went wrong.”  Heyes’ smile deepened.  “We’ve got all the time we need.  And you’re not going to be alone.”

Kid Curry smiled too, shifting his weight to his other leg.  “Nobody’s gonna harm your wife and son.”

Jack frowned.  “How can you be so sure?”

“’Cause I’m a genius, and he’s pretty good with that gun of his.”  Heyes beamed at him.  “Racine needs to be stopped or a lot more of innocent people will die.”  Heyes stood and started pacing.  “Say… how would you like to get your friend captured by the local sheriff, and get the bounty on Racine?  Earn yourself the town’s favor and trust, so you can finally use your own name and settle down?”

“The full package?”

“The full package!”

“I’ve heard you’re smart, but I didn’t know you can do miracles.”  Jack’s suspicion was more than obvious.

Heyes laughed.  “Oh, you don’t need a miracle, just an ingenious plan.  You know, I’ve got some sort of reputation.”  Heyes’ dark-brown eyes twinkled.  “There’s a reason why I’m famous.”

“Notorious,” Kid Curry offered.

“...just like my partner here.”

“Famous it is.”  The blond ex-outlaw agreed and leaned back a bit.

“But what about you?”  Jack steered the conversation back to the topic at hand.  “What’ll you get out of this game?”

“Avoiding trouble and keeping that deal of ours safe.  We’ll vanish into thin air.  Nobody needs to know about our involvement.  I’ve got it all figured out.”

Jack watched Heyes thoughtfully.  After a while he nodded.  “Alright.  Alright, I’ll trust you.  How do we do it?”

“That’s easy!  You’ll go to the Sheriff and tell him you recognized someone.  Stay with the truth as close as you can.  Honesty is a strong weapon, because it’s impossible to disprove!  Go to Racine.  Talk to him.  Get him to talk.  You need him to confess about prison and murder, while the sheriff overhears it.”

“I got that, but why would he do a fool thing like that?”

“Jack, Racine’s hoping for the money!  It’s you in control.  If you make him believe you’re the only one hearing him, why would he deny he’s been there?”

“What makes you think Racine wouldn’t just gun me down first thing he learns I’m empty-handed… and gun down anyone else in sight while he’s at it?

“You gotta keep him unclear about the situation for as long as possible.”  Heyes was in his element now, underlining his plan with wide gestures and expressive facial expressions.  “When Racine sees you and wants to know where his money is, ask Racine if that was the only reason he broke out of prison.  Whether he answers yes or no won’t matter because either way, he’ll be admitting he was incarcerated.  If his answer is yes, then obviously he’s admitting it then.  If he says no, he’s admitting that ‘no, it’s not the only reason’, still saying in a roundabout way that he was in prison and escaped.  He can’t know we’ll have the sheriff hidden in earshot.”

Jack’s eyes lit up, and he nodded.  “Yeah.  Yeah, I see... could work as long as he doesn't smell a rat.”

“There’s always unknown variables and events that could come up.  Distract him.  Let him wrap his mind around something else.  And you better keep an extra revolver hidden behind your back in case he takes your gun from your holster.  But keep it calm.  Don’t shoot Racine unless absolutely necessary in self-defense.  Me and Thaddeus will be there in case you need us and have Racine covered.”

“Believe me, I’ve learned my lesson and won’t kill easily again.  How will you know when you’ve got to step in?”

“C’mon, we’ve got experience.  I’m not dumb, and Thaddeus can definitely tell when a man is about to draw, even from a distance.  He’s been facing down more than enough men and can read the body language fairly well.”

Jack turned to the curly blond.  “So, you are Kid Curry?”

The blond gunslinger adjusted his stance.  “What would a name change for you?  I’ll be there in case you need me.”

“How can I trust a man I don’t know nothin’ about?  A man with his gun hand hurt.  What if you’re not as fast as you claim or as good at your aim?”

Kid Curry squared his shoulders and started to rise.

Heyes laid a hand on his partner’s arm.  “Keep it calm, partner.  Knowing Racine’s reputation, he likes to terrify his victims as much as possible before he kills them.  That gives us plenty of time to stop him in case something goes downhill.  Thaddeus doesn’t have to draw and his weapon will be on Racine all the time.  It’ll be like slicing cake.”  Heyes eyes started sparkling.  “First thing is to get the sheriff on your side and involved in capturing Racine.  We’ll be visiting the sheriff’s office next morning to convince him to help.”

“So, you’re comin’ with me?”

“Yup, just in case.  I’ll back your story up and talk him into it, if necessary.”

Jack nodded.  “Alright then, we do it your way.  We’ll go to the sheriff and get things goin’.”  He smiled briefly, but his eyes stayed serious.  “I’ll do whatever necessary to keep Delilah and Billy safe.”

-o-o-o
-

Last edited by royannahuggins on Fri 04 Mar 2022, 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes
Post Fri 04 Mar 2022, 10:24 am by royannahuggins

With Jack taking the first watch again, Heyes and Curry settled in for the night.

“Do you think he’s been honest with us?” Kid Curry asked his partner, trying to find a more comfortable position to sleep.

“I don’t know.  There’s something he’s not telling us.  Some missing piece.  Why would Racine tell him who we are?”

“Because of the money?”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t put it past him to force Jack into blackmailing us into a robbery or something.  But he didn’t even hint into this direction.”

“Maybe he wasn’t into it?  Being honest becomes somewhat of a habit over time.”

“I don’t know, Kid.  I think we’re missing something here.  So, what’re we going to do?”

“I think we should keep helpin’ them with your plan.”

“Figured you were going to say that.” Heyes sighed but smiled briefly.  “Alright.  But we stay alert around Jack, and I’ll keep him busy, so he’s got no chance to try anything fancy.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“And you’re not going to the Sheriff with us but get into position early.  Distributes the risk, so to say, and gives us more room for maneuver.”  Heyes rubbed his chin.  “Are you really well enough to play your part?”

Kid nodded.  “I’m doin’ much better now, and I’ll be on the roof where I have support for my rifle.  I don’t have to draw or depend on speed in case you need me.”

“Yeah, and fortunately you’re not too bad with a rifle.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence!  I recall bein’ good enough in the past.  Ask that mountain lion who was gonna eat you alive...”

“I never said you couldn't; just that you're not as good with a rifle as you are with your Colt.”  Heyes grinned.  “But you’re not likely to shoot anyway; Jack will handle things with Racine on the street.  And I’ll be close by, backing him up.”

“Still it might get risky.  What if you’ve got to step forward and Racine starts pointing his finger at you?”

“If he starts blurting out the truth, I only have to deny it, tell a nice tale instead of how we met once and he’s trying to get back at me.  And you’ll be there to keep an eye on things, too.”  Heyes beamed him his most brilliant smile.

“Heyes, I don’t like it.  I don’t like it one bit.  If that’s the best of your plans, it’s about time we get retired.”

-o-o-o-

The sun stood already high in the sky when the three men left the camp heading to town.

“So, you’re both comin' with me to see the Sheriff?” Jack asked.

“Nope,” Kid Curry replied.  “I’m takin’ position early to be on the safe side.  Never know what could happen.”

“You sure?”

“Yes, I am.”  Curry’s eyes shifted to his partner.  “I’ll be there in case you need me.”

“Yeah, I know.”  Heyes held his gaze for a moment, transmitting an unspoken message.

Kid Curry nodded at him and set off to the left.

Heyes and Jack sauntered down the main street until they reached the Sheriff’s office.  Heyes knocked briskly and pushed the door open.  “Morning.  Sheriff Masterson?”

The man behind the desk looked up and nodded.  He was in his fifties, his dark hair greying.  His clear eyes, weathered face and square chin gave him an air of self-confidence and reliability.  “Morning, gents.  How can I help you?”

Jack took off his hat and advanced into the room while Heyes stood back between the door and bulletin board.  “I’ve come askin’ your help, Sheriff.  I met someone in town yesterday.  Felon on the run.  I’d like to turn him in, but it’s too risky to do it on my own.  He’s likely to cause trouble and already threatenin’ my employer and her son.”

“Dang, and I just lost my deputy.”

“Oh, I’m sorry…”  Jack lowered his eyes.

The older man laughed.  “Oh no, don’t be.  It’s not like that.  I lost him to a brown-eyed girl and her pa’s ranch.  There’s just not been enough time to find a replacement yet.  What’s your name, son?”

“I answer to Jack, sir.”

“Alright, Jack.  How dangerous a man are we talking about?”

“Pretty dangerous.  Desperate.  It’s all or nothin’ for him.”

“Hm.”  Sheriff Masterson rubbed his chin.  “Do I know the man?”

“Do you know any of the guys on that wall?”  Vaguely Jack indicated the bulletin board decorated with warrants behind him.  The wanted poster for one Louis Bellmont Racine stood out in a prominent place, overlapping two rather worn-out warrants on Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry.  His eyes lingered for a moment at the posters of the boys, focused on the reward money printed in bold letters.

“Nope.  Never seen any of them.”

Jack’s eyes grazed Heyes as he turned to face the sheriff again.  “Then I very much doubt it.  It’s Lou Racine.”

“Well, you’d be entitled to get the reward on him.  That is if you have proof of who he is.”

“No, but I’ve known him for a while.  I rode with him in the past.  Did my share of wrong, but paid my dues.  And there’s somebody who can confirm who he is, too.”  Jack threw a sideways glance to Heyes.

The Sheriff followed his look.  “I suppose that would be you.  And you are?”

“…here to help you out.”  Heyes showed his best winning smile, stepped forward and stuck out his hand.  “Joshua Smith, I’m working with Lom Trevors, sheriff in Porterville.”

“Porterville, Wyoming?  You’re far away from home!”

“Yes, I met Jack by coincidence.  He told me about this man.  I know the guy from back when he was still relieving people of their well-earned possessions.  He needs to be put away again, the sooner the better.  I can identify him, if necessary.  He’s likely to try everything to get away; he’s not to be underestimated.”

“I don’t know either of you, and two men can lie as easily as one.”  The lawman's eyes bore into Heyes’ eyes.

Self-confidently, Heyes offered, “You can check up on me if you send a telegraph to Sheriff Trevors.  And we can prove who the criminal is in getting a confession from him.”

Sheriff Masterson nodded.  “Well, that’d be a sure thing.”

“We can set him up since Jack here knows where he’s going to be at noontime.  If you’d hide near to the doctor’s office in a side alley, you can hear for yourself what they’ve got to say.  Then I’ll take cover, too, and Jack will go out on the street and talk to our man.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.  Would you take the risk, Jack; face the man and get the confession?”

Jack nodded curtly.  “That’s why I’m here.  I’m goin’ to help you find out who’s who.  But first, I need to see that Missus Brock and her kid are safe.”

Sheriff Masterson smiled briefly.  “Alright, we’ll see.  We can move them to a safe place before you meet your man.  Does she know anyone here in town?”

“We’re only passin’ through, but she told me she met the wife of the general store owner, Beth?”

“Ah, I see.”  The sheriff nodded.  “Beth and Brad Billings are good people.  They’ll help us out.  There’s plenty of room to hide out in the back of their store.”

Jack beamed a brief smile of relief.  “That’s good.  Good.”

“You should see them there yourself,” Heyes threw in.  “They are going to be scared and there’s no way one of us will be able to explain to them why you wouldn’t be there.”

“But I’ll be late!” the young man contradicted.

“No, you won't.”  Heyes patted his shoulder.  “You’ll be exactly where you need to be to make things work.”

-o-o-o-

On top of a roof, Kid Curry was lying in wait.  The rifle rested on the low border fencing it in.  He scanned the street, tracing the coming and going of folks as they went about their business.  Miners coming to town to stock up on their supplies, mothers with their children walking down the street, pausing to greet friends and neighbors, a couple of trail-worn tramps riding down the main street heading straight for the saloon.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

The sun had almost reached the zenith when one man caught his attention: tall, heavy built, long dark-hair and beard, his hat sitting low over his eyes.  He avoided the open street and made his way to a small alley across from the Kid’s vantage point.  The stranger retreated into the sparse shadows and panned the street, dividing his attention between the sheriff's office and the doctor’s place.

“Well, if that isn’t our man,” Kid Curry murmured.  “Welcome to Hancock, Racine.”  Casually he trained his weapon on him.

-o-o-o-

Heyes sneaked out a back door and laid low in a side alley.  He lifted his head and scanned the surrounding roofs, seeking eye-contact with his partner.  They exchanged a brief nod, then the blond indicated to him the dark stranger about to leave his hiding place.  Heyes examined the man and then gave Kid Curry a thumbs up.

Just as Racine started across the street, Jack pushed through the front door of the general store almost stumbling over his feet.  Desperately, his eyes panned the street, and stopped when they met the dark-haired man heading for the doctor’s office.

“Lou!  Wait!” Jack called out and darted down the street on an interception course.  “Hold it!”

Curiously, people stopped and turned their heads, trying to figure out what the noise was about.

Jack skidded to a halt in front of Racine in a cloud of dust and thrust out his hand.  “Wait!”

“You’re late!” growled Racine.  “I thought you’d hightailed it.  I was about to meet that friend of yours.”

The blond was trying to catch his breath and hissed.  “Keep your voice down, Lou.  You want everyone to know?”  He looked up and down the street, then indicated a stack of crates and barrels sitting beside the woodworker store.  “Let’s talk over there and get some privacy.”

The older men followed him.  “Alright.  Here we are.  So, what about my money?”

“Dang, Lou, give it a break.  That can’t be the only reason why you broke out of prison.”

“Who would stay in prison when they can walk free and live the good life instead?  So, where the heck’s my money?”

“I didn’t get it.”

“And you dare telling me like that?  You think I’m dumb?  You think I’m scared of you?”  Like a recoiling snake Racine snatched Jack’s gun out of his holster and threw it behind the crates.  “You remember what I told you?  It’s because of you that your little lady and her boy are going to die.”

“They won’t.  They're not alone.  They're safe!”

“Do you think I mind?  I’m going to kill anybody who gets in my way and not ask their names.”

“Just like you killed the prison guards?  Or that poor widow you killed for a dang horse?”

“Yeah, just like that!”  Racine snapped his fingers.  “But not that fast.  I want you to hear what happens before I come back and kill you, too.  Maybe I'll make you watch, just like your father did back then, when they came get you and your mother.”

A painful smile crossed Jack’s face.  “Yeah, I guess you’d like that, but that’s not goin’ to happen, Racine.”

“Why?  What’s going to stop me?

“I will!” the sheriff exclaimed and stood up behind one of the barrels.  Slowly he stepped out on the street, his gun in hand.  “Louis Racine, you’re under arrest!”

But Racine was faster.  Before the Sheriff’s gun was levelled, Racine spun around already aiming his gun at him.  The lawman froze with a staggered look on his face.  Racine’s grin went wider.

“Hold it!” Jack called out, the hidden gun almost jumping into his hand.  He sidestepped in front of the sheriff.

“Traitor!” Racine hissed, his gun still aimed.  He turned his head slightly toward the sheriff, but never took his eyes off Jack.  “Don’t move!  Drop your hardware, all nice and easy.  Or I’ll shoot everyone in sight!”

Suddenly all hell broke loose.  Townspeople ran for cover when they saw the imminent gunplay.  Children started screaming and mothers called for their kids.

On top of his roof, Kid Curry muttered under his breath, “There’s one of those variables, Heyes.”  He shifted twice but couldn’t get a clear line of fire.

The sheriff hesitated, but then obeyed.  He laid down his gun in slow motion and kicked it away.

Neither Racine nor Jack paid any attention to him as they stared each other down.

Seething with anger, Racine called out his challenge.  “C’mon, shoot me, you lily-livered skunk!  You’ve done that before!”

“I had no choice back then and you know it,” Jack replied, his voice absolutely calm.

“You were a coward back then, and you’re a coward now.  Another man’s life means nothing if he can’t protect it!”

“Easy as that, huh?  Yeah, I know, killin’ comes easy to you, Racine, but that’s not how it’s meant to be.  I know what it means.  I know what it does.  Been there, done that; served my sentence.”  Jack slightly shifted his weight, gaining an advanced position.  “Carryin’ a gun means responsibility.  A man has to do what a man has to do, but he shouldn’t do it carelessly.  I don’t want Billy to grow up alone, don’t want to leave Delilah...”

Racine kept his gun trained on Jack and grinned.  “I don’t care what you want.  You just made my day, ‘cause now I’ve got to kill you, a lawman, and your kin all at once.  Only question is in what order that happens.”

Still neither Heyes nor Curry had a clear shot.  Their line of fire was blocked by both the sheriff and Jack or some townsfolk.  Heyes quickly panned the surroundings and, in the end, looked up and sought eye contact with his partner.  Resolutely he holstered his gun and showed him his open hands.  Then he squared his shoulders, adjusted his hat and stepped out on the street, calm and exuding self-confidence.  “Hiya, Racine!  What’s up?  Seems you’ve got yourself quite a situation here.”

Immediately he caught everyone’s attention, including the threesome on the street.  Racine slightly dropped his hand and involuntarily took one step back, as Jack moved a mite forward.

High above the ground, Kid Curry cursed under his breath, his eyes throwing daggers, before he took aim again.

“You!” Racine called out in surprise.  “What the...?”

Heyes answered with a laugh and a bright smile as he swaggered across the street.  “Yeah, it’s me.  Surprised to see me?”

“Not anymore.  Now I see where the rub lies.  You’re just in time for my payback!”  All of a sudden, things began to happen.  Racine raised his gun in a split-second and shot at the sheriff.  Simultaneously, Jack and Kid Curry pulled the trigger.

Racine cried out in pain as his gun went flying.  He dropped to his knees, covering his hurting gun hand.

In a blink Heyes and Jack had him covered.

The sheriff picked up the damaged weapon and shoved it behind his belt, before he put handcuffs on the pain-stricken man.  “That was a mighty fine shot, Jack,” he praised the young man.  “It’s only because of you that nobody else got hurt.”

Racine fixed his hateful eyes on Heyes.  “Hey, Sheriff,” he growled.  “That’s the one you should arrest!  The most notorious outlaw you’re ever had to take out:  Hannibal Heyes himself.”

Heyes tilted his head.  “Oh, c’mon, Racine, good try.  But it won’t work.”

“Sheriff, arrest him!  He’s worth a fortune!”

“No, he’s not,” the sheriff replied.  “He’s the deputy of Sheriff Lom Trevors.”

“Sheriff Trevors?” Racine laughed hysterically.  “Lom?  Lom Trevors?  Sheriff? Y ou believe that?  They’ve been riding together for years.”

“You can stop lying, can't you?  I met Sheriff Trevors once.  Decent man.  Righteous.  And this here man knows who he is, too, right?”  Sheriff Masterson indicated Jack.

The young man nodded confirmation.  “I’ve got no doubt about who this man is, Sheriff.”

“You!  I can’t believe you…  Again!  You…” Racine stammered.  When he started cursing, the sheriff manhandled him away quickly.

Jack remained on the street, his shoulders drooping, his head hanging down.

Heyes walked up beside him and patted his shoulder.  “It’s over.  You’ve done well.  Very well.”

One by one, townspeople returned to the street and started talking to each other, throwing appreciative glances towards Jack.  Slowly they drew closer, congratulating the young man, shaking his hands and patting his shoulders.  He raised his head and the light returned to his eyes again.

Heyes smiled and drew back, vanishing in the crowd.  As soon as he reached the edge he turned around and went to meet his partner.

Delilah came running down the street, weaving her way through the bystanders.  “Jack!  Jack!  Are you alright?”  She threw herself in his arms and hugged him tight.

“’Course I am,” Jack told her gently and stroked her hair.  “How are you?  And how is our boy?”

“I’m fine.  We’re fine.  The fever finally broke.”

Jack’s face lit up with joy.  “That’s… that’s…”  He lifted her up in his arms and kissed her.

The people around them started cheering.

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes Pic_9_10

-o-o-o-

In the evening the group of friends was gathered around a fire again, not a small fire pit, but the dying embers of a bonfire.

Their surroundings showed clear evidence that a spontaneous festivity had taken place:  drying cookware, moved logs, flat grass trampled by dozens of feet, and the last attendees still visible on their way back into town.

Kid Curry sat on a tree trunk, Billy on his lap.  The boy was sleepy, but whatever the blond man whispered in his ear made him giggle.

Delilah watched their visitors leave and waved them goodbye.  When she turned around, Jack reached out his hand and took hers gently.  “Hope you like the place, ‘cause it looks like we’re gonna stay for a while.  You were right; folks here are special.”

“So, you have no doubts anymore?”

“No.  No doubts.  If they won’t have us, nobody will.  We’ve got our second chance here.”

“Yes, that’s what we’ve got.  And I’m so happy I can be a teacher soon.  It will do Billy some good to visit a regular school and make friends with kids his own age.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“You know, you don’t have to work for a while with the reward coming,” Heyes threw in.

Jack shifted his eyes to him.  “Yeah, but we’re gonna make the best of it.  Buyin’ a place of our own.  And I hope I’ll find me a job, too.”

“Of course, you will.  You’re a hero now,” Heyes replied.

“I’m not.”  Jack shook his head.

“They think you are.  That’s been your celebration here.  As much as I would have loved to call it mine.”  Heyes' chocolate-brown eyes twinkled.  “You helped to get a murderer captured and you saved the sheriff, disregarding your own safety.”

“That wasn’t just me.”

“It’s been your decision and that’s what they saw.  That’s all that counts.”

“It wasn’t my shot.”

“We’ll never know for sure.  The Kid had more than enough glamour of his own, and he won’t mind sharing it with you this time,” Heyes told him and patted Jack’s shoulder.

“I’d rather get out of here without drawin’ too much attention.  Be my guest.  Glamour isn’t quite what we’re lookin’ for, we'd prefer a low profile,” Kid Curry replied.  “It will wear off soon enough.”

“I don’t care about glamour either.”  Delilah leaned into Jack and whispered, “You’ve always been a hero to me.”

“And you were mine.”  Jack smiled and shifted into her space.

Heyes turned away with a smile and retreated to his partner and the child.

For what felt like a lifetime Jack looked deep into Delilah’s eyes.  When he spoke up, his voice was soft and low, “We had it all, the good times and the bad.  You’ve been with me all the way.  You wanna settle down with me?  Here?  Marry me?  Be my wife and carry my name – as will Billy?”

“Yes, oh yes, I will!” Delilah whispered and kissed him.

Heyes and Curry exchanged a glance and smiled.

When silence stretched, the boy in Kid Curry’s arms got restless.  “You gonna tell me the story?”

Jack and Delilah broke apart.  “Of course, Billy.”

Jack let go of Delilah, took the boy from Curry's arms and sat down with him on a log.  “What story?” he asked his son.

“The story with the deer.”

“You sure you don’t wanna hear another one?”

Billy shook his head.

“Why not?”

“I like the way you tell it.”

Jack smiled down at him.  “Alright, the deer story it is.”

The night was mild, the fire cast lively shadows, and everyone was still and listening as Jack told the well-known story again, with the deer running, hiding, but finally cornered by the hunter.  “He squeezed the trigger, but...”

“...something fluttered right into his face,” Heyes chimed in.  “It was a hawk who had swooped down on the man with the rifle.  He dropped his weapon to protect his eyes with his hands from the sharp claws aiming for them.  Then a mighty bear appeared, a grizzly, roaring a challenge to the man.  The deer had called his friends to help him out, and they bested the threat.  The smart old buck had learned that what he couldn’t accomplish alone would be possible for a team.

“While the bear and hawk were distracting the hunter, the old buck gathered his family and led them away to a safer place.  Then he returned and met up with his friends.  The hunter was scared to his bones and swore to never hunt an animal again if the dear Lord would only let him get away.  His wish was granted, and he never returned to the forest again.  And the friends were safe and lived happily ever after.”

“That’s not how the story goes,” Billy objected.

“Oh yes, that’s exactly, how it was meant to go, Billy,” Heyes told him seriously.  “All it needed was a little bit of trust and reliable friends.”  Heyes beamed a full-dimpled smile and locked eyes with Jack.

The young man nodded at him with sparkling eyes, flashing a smile bright enough to light up the sky, as he gently tousled Billy’s short hair.  “Yeah, sometimes you’ve got to smarten up and trust, sonny.”

“Speakin' of trust, I’m not sure Sheriff Masterson is buyin' into your story, Heyes.  He did look a mite too thoughtfully at us earlier.  I don’t think we should overstay our welcome here.”

“Yeah, let’s make some miles, Kid.”

“So, it’s not true?  About Lom Trevors?”

“Well, mostly it is.  We rode with him in the past.  He’s the sheriff in Porterville now and we work with him once in a while.  But we’re not exactly deputies...”

“So, we will part in the morning?” Delilah asked.  “We can’t convince you to stay a little longer?  Be witnesses to our marriage?”

“No, ma’am.  We’d be honored, but we’ll be gone with the first light of the day,” Heyes answered with one of his full-dimpled smiles, his eyes shaded with regret.  “As much as we’d like to spend more time with you, we have to get moving.  Folks will start thinking – and talking – and at some point, someone will jump to conclusions we wouldn’t like.  Better not to tempt them into rash actions and stay on the safe side.”

“We’ll never forget what you’ve done for us.  You’ll be in your hearts and prayers forever.  If you ever come through these parts, please come visit us.  There’ll always be a place for you with us.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Heyes replied.  “We will.”

-o-o-o-

Early the next morning the boys were ready to go.  They tacked and packed their horses, working hand in hand with long practiced routine.  Finished, they mounted their animals and started down the main street heading south, both lost in their own thoughts.

Kid Curry glanced at his partner several times, before he broke the unnatural silence.  “You’d think Jack could’ve been one of us.”

“Probably.  Most likely you, considering your taste for girls, and tending to help the needy ones.”

“Yeah, right,” Curry huffed.  “As if you would leave a kid of your own.”

“At least that's one thing we don’t have to worry about.”  Heyes' face went serious as his eyes traveled into the distance again.  Under his breath he added, “As far as we know.”  Only a blink later a bright smile graced his face, and a twinkle of mischief appeared in his eyes.  “All that worries me is you and your legendary stubbornness.  You’re quite a challenge at times.”

“ME?!?  Great!  Fine!  Now it’s me again bein’ the cause of all of our worries.  Why don’t we talk about your harebrained plans for once?  And what you were thinkin' back then, walkin' out on the street in the middle of a gunfight?”

“Well, I wasn't in any immediate danger.”  Heyes shrugged.  “The odds were low that Racine would target me.  All I had to do was to distract him long enough to give you a chance for a clear shot.”

All you had to do?!  You’re never gonna do a fool thing like that ever again!  Only you would show up to a gunfight armed only with your mouth!”

“A mouth with a silver tongue!”  A dimpled grin graced Heyes' mouth.  “C’mon, Kid; it worked out just fine, didn’t it?”

“Pure coincidence.  You could have got us killed or locked away for a long time, if your plan hadn’t worked out.”

“But it did!  There was never a question it would.  That’s why I’m the genius planner and you’re the fast gun!”

Kid Curry’s eyes shot sparks at his partner.  “So, I’m only a fast gun to you now?” he huffed.  “You better not forget I’m the only thing keepin’ you alive, ingrate!  Thank God, you’re still breathin’, because of my gun...”  He continued a surprisingly long and heated tirade, its volume fading as the boys headed towards the distant hills, one enemy short, but a couple of friends richer.

-o-o-o-

Author’s note:  With sincerest apologies to David Adams Richards and the producers of the movie adaption of his novel For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down, an excellent movie you should check out when you get the chance for watching it.  There are quite some parallels between some of his characters and mine, as well as a strong resemblance between the deer stories which are told in both places.

Dedicated to Dan Ker, who made me write the story in first place.  After we had watched the movie together, I was pondering about Jerry Bines’ sorry end and how good the plot would fit into an Old West scenario.  There had to be some place in time and space where things went a different way.  She just said, “Then write it!”

Thanks to Hanna Heyes for a brilliant Hannibal Heyes plan I wouldn’t have come up with.  You’re the best! :-)

Sources:

Colorado mining towns
https://www.uncovercolorado.com/wild-west-towns-in-colorado/

Colorado territorial prison
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territorial_Correctional_Facility

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Shade Nightwalker’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

calicole likes this post

cheers What a winning episode - loved it! How can you not love a Hannibal Heyes plan, the baddie is caught, jail and a lovely family gets a chance to settle down. The casting was excellent! Awesome episode, Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes!

wow

calicole likes this post

Excelllent, really enjoyed this episode both parts. Very well done, congrats to all authors!

Penski and calicole like this post

Re: Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes
Post Sun 13 Mar 2022, 9:08 am by Uk_rachel74
Loved this- well done ladies :) Perfect start to this year's VS.

Penski, calicole and Kattayl like this post

Hunter and Hunted
Post Sun 13 Mar 2022, 11:27 pm by Kattayl
What a great finish to this story! Stories like this are what makes the Virtual Season so much fun!

Penski and calicole like this post

moonshadow
You two managed to get all those loose ends tied up very nicely and left me with a warm, fuzzy feeling.
I enjoyed the familiar bantering between Heyes and Kid throughout the VS, but I found myself, as did they, with two new friends by the end of the story.
You did a fantastic job creating characters we could fall "in like" with and be happy that things ended well for them.
I hope you'll consider contributing another story to next year's VS season - I'm looking forward to reading more from you! study

calicole and Kattayl like this post

Great ending Hanna Heyes and Nightwalker! You both did a wonderful job of showing Jack's inner turmoil and his struggle for control to get past the past. Good Hannibal Heyes plan. Loved the banter between Heyes and Curry but the dialogue was spot on throughout both parts of the VS story. Nicely done clap goodjob
There are a lot of possible triggers authors can get inspired by to get an idea for a story and sometimes with a small nudge of a friend, how the trigger can be implemented into a story.
I am always fascinated by the idea of how many key aspects there are which fit into the spirit of ASJ - no matter in which time the trigger takes place, often basic problems are the same.

Nightwalker has enough experience and imagination to link two things with each other with small, necessary adjustments.
The co-work with HannaHeyes turns out into a wonderful story with so many parallels to the movie, it is really surprising.
But best of all are all the comprehensible adjustments if you have seen the movie.

To turn your back on your past seems to be an easy step - Jack served his sentence, HH and Curry lead an honest life, but sooner or later your past catches up and you will have to make decisions ; not an easy task to cope with.
Jack can't settle down with Delilah because he still feels branded and not accepted.
The boys can't settle down either. But in contrast to Jack, they are a step ahead of him, they learned to face their demons, fight and with Heyes' brilliant mind find a solution to stay alive and in the clear.

To sacrifice your own life for those who love might be heroic but is not always the bravest method...summarized in Heyes' statement, " You can't walk out on those you love, no matter what."
I admire the idea that Heyes is able to convince Jack there is another way to handle the situation.
Nightwalker gives a small clue to Jack's past you can easily miss why he still wants to run, when he mentions to Delilah,
"I can't protect you." Same as his father, who couldn't protect his family... For Jack, the only possibility is if Hunter and Hunted die together.
I'm glad with the boy's help, he learns to accept and trust friends and to control a situation.

I very much like the Hannibal Heyes plan; clever set up. "Varying variables" making it seem like a careless but thrilling plan - that's ASJ spirit.
As well as the emphasis on the fact not to kill another man's life, even if he earned it.
Great sentence, "Carrying a gun means responsibility. A man has to do what he has to do, but he shouldn't do it careessly."
Of course the sheriff could have been glad he wasn't injured during the gunfight.
Good in character is the boy's offer, "you can take the glamour, we prefer a low profile."
After all, they achieved their goal, "Avoiding trouble and keeping that deal of ours safe. We’ll vanish into thin air. Nobody needs to know about our involvemen."

One of the highlights definitely is the adjusted deer story.
The end, finally, is very well done, resembling in its last scene the beginning of "Hunters and Hunted ".
The virtual episode is over in a light-hearted way, the boys waiting for another adventure.
Perfect.

Hunter and Hunted – Part 2 by Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes

Page 1 of 1