Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Empty
PostA Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl

STARRING

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_hh_10
Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Jed “Kid” Curry

GUEST STARRING

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_joh10
John Wayne as Colonel Nathaniel Wilson

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_jam10
James Garner as Sheriff Dan Richards

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Asj_vs10
Tom Selleck as “A”/ Alex Cullen

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_kat10
Katherine Ross as Mrs. Amy Cullen

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_lin10
Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush as Deadre and Diana Cullen

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_ric10
Richard Bull as Mr. John Rafferty

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_cha10
Charlotte Stewart as Mrs. Linda Rafferty

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_rob10
Robert Fuller as Dr. Henry Fuller

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl Vs_ken10
Ken Berry as Captain Berg

A Real Hometown Hero
by Kattayl

Jed “Kid” Curry broke the silence of the never-ending Montana landscape.  “Heyes, I been thinkin’, why do you think it was so easy to get Lom to agree to three hundred dollars for this job when he started at one hundred?  Didn’t seem to need your silver tongue much at all.”

“I thought the deal was I do the thinking, you do the shooting,” Heyes replied.  “Been going over that in my mind, too. Maybe because he knows how far north this Fort Assinniboine really is.  Haven’t seen another person on this road in two days.”

“Why does your genius mind think we had to come by wagon?”

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl 1_hh_k10

Heyes squinted ahead of them.  “Transporting something the army can’t move themselves?”

“That’s what I was thinkin’, too.  Lom said it was all legal,” Curry answered.  “Still, I ain’t too pleased just walkin’ into a fort full of armed soldiers even if Lom says we’ll be fine.  Pretty sure they have our wanted posters, too.”

“Yeah, but I trust him.  Don’t you?”

“More or less.  Still, I’ll be cleanin' my gun and yours the night before we get there.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Camping within sight of the formidable wall of Fort Assinniboine, Curry cleaned the guns with a perfectionist's eye for detail.  

“Heyes, you standin' watch or pacin'?  Figured we’d be safe this close to the fort,” Curry said as he laid out his bedroll.

“Pacing mostly.  That fort reminds me of a prison with one way in and out.”  Heyes settled his bedroll across the fire from Curry but did not lay, or even sit, down.  Instead, he poured the last of the coffee into his cup.  “I’ll fill the coffee pot with water for the morning.”

Curry yawned.  “Just promise me you’ll get some sleep.  We don’t know what we’re walkin’ into at the fort tomorrow.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Curry opened one eye to the faint sound of army trumpets playing Reveille.  “Ohh, please, ten more minutes to sleep, Heyes!”  He rolled over and pulled his blanket up higher against the cold.

“Heyes, did you hear me?  Heyes, you there?”  Curry sat up suddenly alert.  Hearing nothing but the echo of the trumpets and the wind in the trees, he called again, “Heyes?”  

Quickly fastening his gun belt and tying it to his thigh, he looked around.  “You doin' your mornin’ business, partner?”  he asked a little bit louder.  “Hide and seek ain’t funny this early in the mornin’.  Where are you?”  Checking the coffee pot, he felt the weight of the water before looking at Heyes’ bedroll.  “You ain’t even been to sleep.”  He turned and drew with lightning speed at a sound to his left.

“Easy, Kid.  It’s me.”  Heyes emerged through some nearby bushes, his hands in the air.  “Been scouting out the fort.”

“Instead of sleepin’?  You gonna fall asleep on me halfway through today?

Heyes laughed.  “Don’t need much sleep.  I found a backdoor to the fort.”

“That make you feel any better ‘bout goin’ in there?” Curry asked.

“Well, yes, I guess.  Makes me feel we have an escape route if this is a trap.”  Heyes started the coffee.

“You figure it’s a trap?”  Curry began to roll up and tie his bedroll.

“No, just like to make plans for every outcome.”  Heyes grinned at his partner.  “Just like you make sure both our guns are clean.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Facing the towering open gates of the fort, Heyes and Curry exchanged a quick look before they composed their faces to show only friendly emotions.  

“Hey, wagon, state your names and business.”  A man in an army uniform who looked to be no more than twelve-years-old stopped them as they drove up to the gate.  Soldiers in uniform hurried about their business.  

“Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones, here to see the fort commander Colonel Nathaniel Wilson.  He's expecting us.  Sheriff Lom Trevors sent us.”  Heyes spoke with bravado.

“Yes, sirs.  I have your names right here.  The colonel is in his office.  That building with the small flag in front.” He pointed to the right.   “Leave your wagon here and we’ll take care of it.”

Exchanging a look, the partners turned to glance back at their bedrolls and travel bags in the buckboard.  

“Your things will be untouched, sirs.  We will just be loading the wagon for you.”  The young man seemed flustered and refused to look at the men again, busying himself with his list.

Curry took a deep breath and whispered, “Think he recognized us?”

“Yeah, but I’m guessing he’s got orders to let us pass no matter what.  Just might be that trap you were asking about.”

Reaching the building, the pair nodded to two privates standing outside the office door.  One of them opened the door for them.

Removing their hats, Heyes and Curry approached the imposing older man sitting very straight in a wooden chair behind a table set up as a desk.

“Sir,” Heyes started.  “We’re Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones.  Sheriff Lom…”  

He was interrupted abruptly.  “I know who you are.  I’m Colonel Wilson.”  He reached out and shook their hands.  “Sit down.”

Keeping their hats on their laps, they sat down.  

“Thank you, men, for taking on this assignment.  We are extremely understaffed here at the fort right now.”

“Just what are we taking on?” Heyes asked, politely.

“Sheriff Trevors didn’t tell you?”

“No, sir, he didn’t,” Curry answered, forcefully.

“Well, we need the body of a brave soldier, a hero, transported to his hometown for burial. “  

Heyes let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.  “That’s all?  That doesn't sound dangerous.”

Colonel Wilson looked surprised.  “Did Lom Trevors tell you it was dangerous?”  He shook his head.  “Shouldn’t be.  Sergeant Austin Cullen is a true hero.  Gave his life saving four others during a Cree Indian insurrection.  Been in the army about five years, enlisted.  He was a dedicated soldier and a trusted leader.  Austin’s well thought of in this company.  And he adores his wife and daughters.  There was a transfer in the works for him to be assigned nearer to them.”  He added sorrowfully, “I’ll miss him.  He deserves a proper burial in his hometown.”

“And where is that, sir?” Heyes asked.

“Friendship, Montana.  Small town about sixty miles southwest of Dillon and a hundred miles north of the border with Wyoming.  We sent a telegram to the town council that you were coming.”

ASJ*****ASJ

“Kid, you’ve been smiling the last ten miles.  What are you thinkin’ about?”

“Well, most jobs we find are hard on the back and don’t pay much.”

“Can’t argue with that.”

“Well this job ain’t like that.  And I’m not just talkin' about the pay.  I’m really honored to be bringin’ a genuine army hero back home for burial.“

Heyes nodded but Curry wasn’t finished.

“You know my big brothers were killed in the war.  Have no idea where they're buried.  All my ma had were the telegrams that said they were killed.  She buried those and the hats they left behind in our family plot.”

“I remember.  There was a real nice service.”

“Kinda feel like I’m honoring them by bringin’ Sergeant Cullen home to his family to be buried.”

ASJ*****ASJ  

“Looks like we’re just about there; that sign says 'Friendship, twenty miles',” Curry commented as he stopped the wagon to read it.  He looked back to check the American flag-draped coffin in the back for the third time that day.

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl 2_hero10

“Seems too easy to be worth six hundred dollars,” Heyes mused.

“Heyes,” the Kid groaned, “don’t jinx it by sayin' that!”

“What can go wrong?  We take his body to the undertaker, let his wife and parents know and maybe go to the funeral.  He was a hero, you know,” Heyes added confidently.

ASJ*****ASJ

“They do not look friendly,” Curry announced, seeing two rough-looking, armed men approach from the direction of Friendship.

“We’re still five miles away.  Could be anyone.”

“And they could be bounty hunters.  Still could be a trap at this end.”  Curry handed the reins to his partner and took the safety leather loop off of his gun.  

Stopping in the middle of the road, the men blocked the wagon’s path with their horses.

Heyes spoke first.  “Hello.”

Without a greeting, the man with a scar on his cheek growled, “Who’s in the casket?”

“A real hero and one of your own if you’re from Friendship, Sergeant Austin Cullen,” Heyes answered, without taking his eyes off of the men.

“Austin Cullen ain’t a hero in this town.  Take my advice.  Turn around and take him back where you came from.”

“Brought him here by order of the US Army to be buried here, er deputy,” Curry said warily, reading the badge on the man’s chest.

“Like I said, this is a warning.  He ain’t wanted here, dead or alive.”  The men moved to the side of the road to let the wagon pass.  

ASJ*****ASJ

“Heyes, you got a plan in case we don’t get the warmest welcome here?”

“Working on it,” Heyes nodded.  “There’s the sheriff’s office.  Sign says Daniel Richards.  I don’t recognize the name.  You?

“No.”

“Then let’s start there.”

Curry shuddered.  “You want we just walk into the sheriff’s office knowin’ that our posters are probably hangin' front and center on his wall?”

“That’s the plan.”  Heyes pushed on the door as the sheriff pulled it open from inside.   Heyes took a step backward.  “Ah, sheriff.  Just the man we were looking for.  I’m Joshua Smith and this...”

“Don’t care who you are.  You the ones bringing Austin Cullen’s body here?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Then you should know that the town council voted that he can’t be buried in our church’s Memorial Cemetery,” he said firmly.  

“Why?” asked Heyes, as Curry moved to stand and block his wanted poster.

“Why?  Because the town council voted he can’t!” the lawman snapped.

“Why’d they vote that way?” Heyes pushed.

Seeing the lawman's face flush red with anger, Curry stepped forward.  “Well, where do you suggest a hero be buried?”  he growled.

“Outside of this town.  Anywhere else but here.”

“When does the town council meet again?” Heyes demanded.  

“Not sure,” the sheriff answered, watching an older man and a woman enter his office.  “But this is Mr. John Rafferty, he’s the head of the council, and his wife, Linda.”

Heyes shifted his attention to the newcomers.  “Mr. Rafferty, we’d like to come to your next council meeting.”

“If this is about Austin Cullen, that matter is closed!  He will not be buried here!”

“Austin?”  Mrs. Rafferty looked at her husband.  “A?”

“Nothing to be concerned about, Linda.”  He hustled his wife out the door without talking to the sheriff.

“Ain’t gonna help you much, but Austin’s brother, Alex, is always at the saloon.  Austin's wife and kids live just outside the town limits on a small farm.  Maybe you can bury him there.”  The sheriff opened the door for them as he spoke.

ASJ*****ASJ

“Heyes, why do you think this town don’t want their local hero buried here?  Ain’t very welcomin' to us, either.”

“I'm not sure, but I can use a drink after that trip.  Let’s go to the saloon and see if his brother can enlighten us.”  Heyes headed briskly towards the saloon.  

Curry walked slower, looking back to check the wagon with the body they had left parked in front of the sheriff’s office.  He caught up with Heyes and they pushed the batwing doors open in sync.  Curry stepped to the right and let his eyes adjust to the semi-darkened room, looking at every man in the bar as a threat.  

Heyes approached the bartender.  “Two whiskeys.”  He threw some coins on the counter.  “Looking for Alex Cullen.”

“You come to the right place.”  The bartender used the bottle in his hand to point at a man, his head down on his arms, sleeping at a back table.

Heyes picked up the drinks and dropped a couple more coins on the bar.  “Thanks.”  He headed towards the table.

“You Alex Cullen?”  Heyes touched the man’s shoulder with his finger.  Two bloodshot eyes looked up at him.  

“Who're you?”  The man’s words were slurred.

“We’re the men who brought your brother’s body home to be buried.”

“Buried?”

“You did know he died?”

“Yeah, but no one here will want him home, dead or alive.  Ain’t his fault, it’s mine.”  He laid his head back down on the table when he was done, then mumbled something that ended in ‘me’, but the first part was too slurred to understand.

Joining them, Curry leaned over and pulled the man to a sitting position.  “Seems to be what everyone around here keeps sayin'.  You know where his wife lives?”

“Outside of town.  You got horses?”

“Uh,” Heyes looked thoughtful.  “Wagon.  No saddles.”

“No mind, we can walk.  I’ll show you for drinking money.”

Heyes showed him two dollar coins.  When Alex reached for them, he snapped his hand shut.  “Take us there, first.”

ASJ*****ASJ

After they had walked a bit, Alex stopped in front of a large, white, two-storied house with pillars out in front.  The wide front porch had a swing and rocking chairs.  He spat at the roses.  “Rafferty’s live here.  Mr. and Mrs. Rafferty, nothing too good for them.  And no one was good enough for their daughter.”  He spat again.  

“You mean just three people live in that big house?” asked Curry.  

“Only two now.  Daughter passed,” he added bitterly.

Heyes said nothing, but caught his cousin’s eyes in a quick, silent exchange.

Alex stepped back off the road before they arrived at their destination and pointed.  “She lives there.”

Heyes looked at the man.  “You aren’t coming in?”

“Made it clear that they don’t want to see the likes of me.  I brought you here.  Where’s my money?” he demanded.

Heyes held out his hand.  

Alex grabbed the money and left quickly.

The Cullen home was small but had a well-kept yard.  Two little girls ran to the white picket fence when the men walked up.  

“Hi!” said one with her thick brown hair pulled back into a long braid.

“Hi,” repeated the other one, her matching hair in two ponytails.

“Well, hello little darlin’s.”  Curry smiled at the girls.  “This the Cullen home?”

“Yes, sir,” they said in unison.

“Is your ma home?  We’d like to talk with her,” Curry continued.

“Yes, sir,” they repeated, and one ran into the building.  

“My name is Deadre and my sister is Diana and we're six years old.  We’re idencical twins.  Our pa and Uncle Alex are idencical twins, too.”

Curry gave her his best smile at the mispronounced word.  “My name's Thaddeus, and this is Joshua.  We’re not twins, though, we’re cousins.  How do you do?”  He held out his hand for her to shake.

She giggled and shook it.  “There’s our ma.”  She pointed to a serious, short woman with the same brown hair as her daughters bustling toward them.

“Gentlemen, I am Amy Cullen.  My daughter said you wanted to talk to me?”

Heyes stepped forward as they both removed their hats.  “Yes, ma’am; I’m Joshua Smith and this is my partner, Thaddeus Jones.  Is there somewhere we can talk in private?” he added, glancing at the girls watching them.

“Please come in,” she gestured towards the house.  

The inside of the house, like the outside, was comfortable but modest.  “Please sit down,” she said as she sat down opposite them.  “What did you want to talk to me about?”  The smell of a stew cooking filled the house.  

“Well…er…we brought your husband’s body home for burial,” Heyes answered, unable to look at the woman.  

She was quiet.  “My husband?”

“You did know he died a hero, right?” Curry asked in the uncomfortable silence.

“Yes, I received the army’s telegram about Austin.  I also heard about the town council’s decree that he couldn’t be buried in the Friendship Memorial Cemetery.”

“Yes, ma’am, we learned that, too.”  Heyes nodded.  “We were wondering why, as he’s a real hero.”  

“Because he did something heroic once here for his family, but the town doesn’t know it.”

Heyes and Curry exchanged a confused look.  

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl 3_hero10

Heyes spoke up.  “We thought you and his ma might have an idea where to bury him.  We heard she lives about five miles further south.”

Amy stood and the partners jumped to their feet.  Walking to a door off the living room, she opened it.  Heyes and Curry looked in to see an old woman in a rocking chair, staring at the fire, hardly moving.  

“After Austin enlisted and Alex’s pa died a couple of years ago, she broke under the strain.  She felt er...Austin was lost to us, and, in a way, he was, too.  Alex hasn’t come out of that bottle in over five years, not since his brother left and enlisted.”  She closed the door quietly.  “She sits there and rocks all day.  Takes some pleasure in the evening sitting by the fire and watching the girls play.  Never talks much.  I moved her here when the bank repossessed their home.  Couldn’t get her to leave the home where she raised her family before that.”

“Ma’am, we’d like to bring Sergeant Cullen’s coffin here.  But before we bury him here, we’re going to have a talk with the town council.”

“Thank you for your hospitality, ma’am.”  Curry smiled, replacing his hat.  

Once outside and goodbyes said to the energetic twin sisters, they turned their feet to town.  

“She hidin’ somethin’, Heyes?”

“Whole town’s hiding something.  Let’s go by the fancy Rafferty house and ask Mr. Rafferty when the next council meeting's being held.”

As they approached the house, the Kid looked down the street for their wagon, ignoring Heyes rehearsing what he was going to say to Mr. Rafferty.  

“What do you think, Kid, should I just come out and ask him right off?”

“Oh no, no!” Curry yelled and ran toward the wagon.  

Heyes recovered quickly and was right in back of him.  

“Who did this?  Curry yelled at no one and anyone.  “Why would you dump the casket of a decorated hero, one of your own townspeople, on the ground?  Why would anyone dishonor our flag?”  He picked up the flag that had fallen to the side of the road and shook the dirt off of it.

Heyes’ eyes turned black with anger.  “Shame on all of you good citizens of FRIENDSHIP, Montana, that are staring at this poor man’s broken casket!  Who will hold the wagon horses steady while we load this hero back into the bed?”

No one moved, watching in silence as the Kid placed the torn flag into the buckboard.  

In a nearby wagon, a distinguished man in a suit tied off his reins and started to climb down.

The woman next to him hissed, “Henry Fuller, think twice before you help them with HIS casket!”

“I’ll help,” the man called out to Heyes.

“Humpft!”  The woman with Fuller climbed down, refusing his help, and stormed away.  

The man looked to Heyes.  “There’ll be hell to pay when I get home, but I respect Alex Cullen for what he did.”  He walked to hold the horses' heads to keep the wagon steady.

“Austin,” Heyes corrected him.

“Er, uh, yes; my mistake.”

The wooden casket was heavy for the two men, but no one else offered to help. After a struggle, they managed to get it back in the wagon. Curry climbed into the back and tried to spread the damaged flag over it.    

“Thank you, sir, for your help.”  Heyes extended his hand to the man.  

“Not saying I want him buried here.  I voted against it.  But it wasn’t right to dump him in the street like that,” the man said, half-apologizing as he shook the proffered hand.  

“Doctor Fuller, may I see you!?”  John Rafferty, head of the Friendship Town Council, glared at the men standing by the wagon.

Fuller gave Heyes a brief smile.  “Guess I’m going to get a lecture here, too.”

Two other well-dressed men followed Fuller into Rafferty’s house.

Curry and Heyes climbed into the driver’s seat of the wagon.  

Curry’s emotions warred with each other as he asked, “Why would anyone do that?  This man was a soldier, a hero.”

“Don’t know, Kid.”

“If my brothers’ bodies had been brought home, they would have been buried with honors,” Curry said softly.  “Pa would have seen to it.”

In the quiet that followed, Heyes reached across and stopped Curry from starting the horses.  “Wait here.”  He knocked on the Rafferty’s door with authority.  The door opened but he was not invited in.  

“When’s the next town council meeting?” Heyes demanded.

“Tonight at five.  Here.”  The door slammed abruptly.

Heyes climbed back into the wagon.  “We need to be back here at five for the next town council meeting.”

‘Who’d you talk to?”

“Mr. John Rafferty himself.”

Curry glared at any visible townspeople as he headed the wagon toward the Cullen farm.  A moment later, he spoke quietly.  “Heyes, look behind us.”

It took a moment, but then Heyes saw the man following them, trying to hide in the trees and shrubbery along the side of the road.  

“That the brother?”

“Yeah, saw him in town when I was askin' for help.  He hid in the saloon.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Curry drove the wagon slowly, respectfully to the Cullen home, stopping in front.  No one was in sight when Heyes knocked on the front door.  He pounded harder.  “Hello?”

An older lady opened the door a slit and peered out.  Heyes recognized her; it was the woman he had seen rocking alone in her room.  

“Ma’am, is your daughter-in-law here?”

She looked from Heyes to the casket in the wagon, but said nothing.  She didn’t move, just stared out the slit in the door.    

“Sorry, Mr. Smith, the girls and I were weeding the side garden.”  Amy Cullen opened the door wide.  She gently put her arm around the older lady, who allowed herself to be led to an overstuffed old chair near the fireplace.  “My apologies.  She gets lost in her memories and sorrows.”

“Not a problem.  Thaddeus and I brought the casket.  Can we leave it here until we straighten this out with the town council?”

“Yes, yes, of course.  I’m sure no one in Friendship wants his casket there.”

Curry had the back of the wagon down and had folded the remnants of the flag and put it on the driver’s seat.

“Joshua, these horses refuse to stay still.  Think you could get Mrs. Cullen to hold their heads?”

“I’ll ask…”

“I’ll do it.”  Alex Cullen emerged from the trees across the lane.  He was staring at the casket, unsmiling.  “Saw what they did in town...just couldn’t help you there.”

Heyes nodded.

Curry glared.  “Couldn’t help pick up your brother’s casket?”

Alex ignored the question.  “What do you want me to do?”

ASJ*****ASJ

The partners set the casket down gently in the space Amy Cullen had cleared.  Her mother-in-law's eyes never left the wooden box.  

Amy had tears in her eyes.  “What happened to the casket?  The people of that town did this, didn't they?” she said, indignantly.  

A knock on the open door got all their attention.

“Just wanted to bring this to you; can I come in?”  Alex stood outside the door holding the American flag in his hand.  “Should be on his casket, even if it's torn.”

Amy looked at the man and held back tears.  “A, of course you can.  You’re always welcome.  Long time since you were here.”  

“Ma don’t want me here.”  He walked toward the woman who was still staring at the casket.  The Kid took the flag and draped it as best he could over the foot of the casket leaving the engraved nameplate visible.

Sergeant Austin Cullen
United States Army

Alex touched his ma’s shoulder to get her attention.  Her focus gradually changed from the casket to the man next to her.  “Ma?” he said.

“Look at that box!  What are you doing here?!   You…you are the cause of a good man’s death!” she wailed, as tears flooded down her cheeks.  

Alex reached out to comfort her, but she pushed his hands away, went to her room and closed the door.  

“I should leave.”

“A, give her time; she lost her son.”  Amy put her hands on his chest to stop him from going to the door.

“Her favorite son.  And I lost my brother.  Sorry, Amy, I don’t belong here anymore.  I shouldn't have come.”

Pulling out his pocket watch, Heyes looked at it, shook it and held it to his ear.  “We need to get going too, Thaddeus.  Town council meeting’s in twenty minutes.” He turned to Alex.  “We'll give you a ride into town.”

Alex nodded.  While he waited outside for the men to repeat their condolences and say their goodbyes, he watched the two little girls running and playing in the side yard, pulling as many flowers as weeds.

“Cute, aren’t they?”  Curry smiled.  

Alex turned abruptly.  “Didn’t see you come out.”  Then, looking at the girls.  “Yeah, they’re beautiful, just like their ma.  Twins have a special connection other people don’t have.  A built-in best friend that is part of you…always...” his voice trailed off.

“Sorry about Austin; forgot you two are twins, too.  Must be hard to lose him,” Curry said as they walked to the wagon.

“Harder than you know.”  Alex stopped by the wagon.  “Think I’m going to stay here.  Maybe guard the house.  Don’t want the womenfolk to know, though.”

Heyes looked at him, concerned.  “You think there may be trouble?  We ran into two big men on the road into town.  One of them was a deputy.  He warned us not to bring Austin into Friendship.”

Alex didn’t answer at first.  “Trouble, maybe... although this place is not in the town limits.  Oh, and just so you’re prepared, there’s not a town meeting tonight that I know about.  They’re always posted on the board outside the saloon and they ain’t held at the Rafferty house.  They’re at the bank.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Last edited by royannahuggins on Wed 14 Jun 2023, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl
Post Wed 14 Jun 2023, 12:24 am by royannahuggins
“Looks like the sheriff is the advance greeting party.”  Heyes took the reins from Curry, who unhooked the leather loop holding his gun.

“Sheriff,” Heyes said in a cordial tone.  He stopped the wagon in the middle of the road.  His partner’s eyes stayed focused on the sheriff’s gun hand.

Staying mounted, the sheriff spoke. “Wanted to be sure you didn’t have any trouble bringing the casket out here.  And to apologize for not helping you back there.  Town council pays my salary, and they're set on this.  Can’t say that I don’t agree with them.”

“Sheriff, what did Austin Cullen do that set this town against him?” Heyes inquired.

“Not the whole town, but definitely the town council and John Rafferty.  Austin Cullen was worthless, married to a beautiful, kind woman, yet his eyes strayed to every pretty girl in town.  And people said he has – er, had – a silver tongue because he could sweet talk all of them.  His brother used to be one of the town’s good guys, always there to help, but now he’s the town drunk.”

Heyes said nothing, waiting to see if the man continued.  He did.

“Guess Amy’s a widow now.  Imagine a man having a fine wife like that and not staying true?”

“That why he enlisted?  Some woman get mad at him?”

“Kind of.  Last straw was the Rafferty’s daughter.  Pretty, she was their pride and joy.  Their only child.  The week she came back from graduating from that fancy finishing school in the east, she caught Austin’s eye.  He couldn’t keep his hands off of her.”  He shook his head.  “And with poor Amy waiting for him at home with the two little ones all alone, night after night.”  

Heyes and Curry shared a look and then a nod.

“John Rafferty caught Austin and his daughter in his barn one night, near killed him, but the girl begged and pleaded, and her pa let Austin go.  John could ne'er refuse that child nothing.  Told Austin to ne'er come near his daughter again.  Came right here to see me to learn what charges he could bring against him.  When he got back home, John thought she had run away, but she hadn’t.  She'd hung herself in the barn.  Poor Mrs. Rafferty found her.”

Curry looked away.  

“I cut her down and carried her to the undertaker while John took care of his wife.  Found out later that Austin had laid with the mother, too.  Scum, he was just scum!  Heard rumors that he got the Rafferty girl with child, too.  Despicable trash, that’s all that he was!” he growled.  “By the time I went to arrest him, he was gone.  Next thing we heard, he had enlisted in the army.  Least he sent money home for poor Amy each month.”

Heyes interrupted him.  “Well, he died a hero saving the lives of four people and our job was to bring him to Friendship for burial.  We’re headed to the town council meeting this evening to see if they’ll reconsider burying him here because of the hero he became.”

“Ain’t no meeting that I know of tonight.  Being sheriff, I go to the meetings.  Ain’t on the council...”  He turned to look behind him at what his audience was suddenly looking at.  

A large man with a Colt on each hip rode an equally large horse and growled at them.  “Thought I asked you two NOT to bring that man’s body here!  Now I’m telling you to take that casket and be on the next train to anywhere!  Or be prepared to use that gun you’re wearing.”

Just as fast as he appeared, he disappeared.  

“Town council voted to hire him when they got the telegram saying the army was sending his body home.  My deputy usually rides with him.”  The sheriff made a clicking sound as his horse rode past the wagon.  “If I were you, I’d do as he says.  That man has a reputation as a fast gun.”

ASJ*****ASJ

“Heyes, we’re not really goin' to that meetin' that’s not bein' held, are we?”  Curry shook his head as they pulled up in front of the Rafferty mansion.  “Two people have told us there ain’t no meetin' and, if there were one, it would be at the bank.”

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl 4_hh_k10

“Kid, I think there’s more to the story than what the sheriff told us, so I’m going to the Rafferty house, and get some answers.”  Heyes rubbed his hands together, removed his hat and pushed his hair out of his eyes before settling it back on his head.  

“Well, it was pretty obvious that the sheriff's sweet on Amy Cullen, that’s for sure.”  

“Yeah, there’s that, but the Cullens have some sort of secret.  I just don’t know what it is -- yet.”  

Curry stood by the wagon, alert for trouble, while Heyes knocked on the door.  Before anyone could answer, a man with a scar who had been hiding on the porch, jumped him.  

When Curry ran to help his partner, the deputy, who’d also been hiding in the yard, jumped the Kid from behind, bringing him to his knees.  

Heyes’ hand found a piece of wood and tried to hit his attacker with it.  But the man was bigger and stronger, and one punch knocked Heyes backward.  He hit his head on a white painted pillar and closed his eyes.

The Kid turned on his attacker, punching him in the jaw and throwing him backwards, allowing Curry to regain his feet.  As he drew his Colt, he pointed it at the man on the ground who rolled on his back and put his hands up.  “Think that’s enough for now!” Curry snapped.  

The man stopped fighting to stay conscious and closed his eyes.

The Kid turned to see Heyes’ attacker with a gun aimed at his back.  

“I think you're right – that’s enough!  Drop your gun!” the man ordered.

Curry dropped the weapon just as Heyes recovered, stood up, rushed the man holding a gun on the Kid and knocked him down.  

Curry reached for his gun on the grass, stopping when he heard a gunshot.  “Sheriff, what are…”

Heyes stumbled over, picked up Curry’s Colt and put it in his holster.  “Think you’re owing the sheriff a thank you, K...er, Thaddeus.”

“Step away from them, Mr. Jones, Mr. Smith,” the sheriff ordered coldly.

“That man you thought you had knocked out cold, Thaddeus, almost killed you,”  Heyes explained to Curry.

Looking from the man laying on the ground holding his now injured gun hand to the lawman, Curry picked up the hat he had lost in the fight.  “Thanks, Sheriff; don’t rightly know which side you’re on here.”

Heyes tapped Curry’s shoulder and inclined his head towards the house.  “We have an audience.”

Mr. and Mrs. Rafferty, along with Dr. Fuller, had watched the encounter from the safety of the porch.

“Get back inside!” John Rafferty ordered his wife, grabbing her arm and roughly pushing her through the open front door.

“Can’t you find any forgiveness in your heart and let Cullen be buried here?” she pleaded.  “Your hate is tearing you and us apart.”

“I will never forgive him...or you…and he will NOT be buried in Friendship!” Rafferty snarled, slamming the door behind her.

The sheriff still held his gun on the attackers, but addressed Heyes and Curry.  “Expect you two should leave now.”

Curry’s hand hovered over his gun, but Heyes held his arm.  “Let’s go, Thaddeus.”

Dr. Henry Fuller walked down the porch steps.  “Let me talk to them,” he told Rafferty.

“Henry, no!” Rafferty protested, but Fuller ignored him and gave the sheriff a dirty look as he walked by him.  “Sheriff,” called Rafferty, “if those two men try anything else I want them put in jail.  Do you understand?”

Fuller stopped beside Heyes and Curry, who were wrapping up bleeding knuckles with their bandanas.  

“Doctor.”  Heyes tried to smile through a jaw that was starting to bruise.

“Glad you two seem alright.  Want me to look at that jaw?”

“No, I’ll heal.”  

“What were you doin' at the Rafferty’s house tonight, Doctor?” Curry asked.

“Well, I’m a member of the town council, but I didn’t know you expected to see us tonight.”

“And how did you vote, Doctor?”  Heyes’ face was schooled to show no emotion, his voice calm as he waited for the answer to his question.

“The vote of the council against Cullen’s interment in our Memorial Cemetery was unanimous.  The men of the council are not bad men.  We vote how the town expects us to vote.  Austin Cullen was a slick skirt chaser, and he didn’t care who was wearing the skirt.  Young or old, married or single, he chased them all and caught a good share.  We hoped when he married Amy that he’d settled down.  It was a shotgun wedding, and her pa and brothers had all their shotguns pointed at him as she was with child.”  

He continued, “Nothing changed, except Amy, with the help of her brother-in-law Alex, tried to make a living off that farm.  Austin didn’t care for farming, but did help out at planting and harvest time.  He’d disappear for a month or two, but always show up again.  Often, he had a black eye and a swollen jaw.  Figured a father or husband caught him in action.”

Heyes, holding his bandana to his bleeding lip said, “Sounds like he changed.  Died a hero.”

“This is no place for him to be buried.  Someplace on their farm would be better.  He ruined so many lives here...the Rafferty’s, Amy’s, and turned his brother into a drunk.  How can you expect them to let him lay in the same cemetery as the Rafferty girl?  How can we expect the people of this town to forget what he did?  To let him rest in their holy ground?”  He shook his head.  “No, the town council is right.  Bury him someplace else.”

“You tell the people of this town that, in the end, he gave every drop of his blood to save four of his fellow soldiers!” Curry insisted.

“I’m sorry, boys; I wish I could help you.”

“Then help us!”

“Don’t you understand, I can’t!  Austin Cullen was a...”

“An American soldier who gave his life in that job.  That’s good enough for me.  Why can’t it be good enough for you?  He changed.  He reformed.  Turned his life around.”  Curry pivoted and turned his back on the doctor without another word.

ASJ*****ASJ

“Don’t understand this town, Heyes.”  Curry finally broke his silence as the wagon trudged towards the Cullen Farm.  

“I know, Kid.  But Austin Cullen did a lot of harm to the people here.  They can’t forget.  Don’t know that they should.”  

The road looked different in the dark, but the moon was bright enough to guide them.

“He changed.  He reformed.  He died a hero.  Why can’t they see that?” Curry snapped to his partner. “Is that how it’ll be for us?  Reformed, but not forgiven?”

“Hoping when we do get amnesty, we settle in a town more forgiving than Friendship.”

As they arrived at the Cullen homestead all seemed calm.  The light of the moon was bouncing off the top of the trees and the roof of the home.  It was quiet, but there was smoke wafting out of the chimney and lights on in the front room.  

Alex Cullen stepped out in front of the wagon when they stopped.

Amy Cullen, having heard their horses, stepped outside and joined them.  “He’s been guarding our house all day,” she said with a nod to the man.  “A, could you take their wagon ‘round back and settle the horses?”

He did as asked, without a word or a look back, head hung low.  

“I know he’s hurting, but won’t come in.  Well, that and his ma don’t want him in there.  She’s sitting next to the casket, touching it and holding her own wake for her son.  She repaired the rips in that flag, too.  Come inside, I have some stew left from supper if you're hungry?”

“Always, ma’am.”  Curry started for the door, but was stopped by the sound of a fancy buggy driving down the moonlit street.  It pulled up to the Cullen’s gate and stopped.  

“Mrs. Rafferty!” Amy greeted her in surprise.

“Ma’am,” Curry and Heyes greeted her in unison.  

Mrs. Rafferty stepped down from the buggy gracefully, her expensive clothing clashing with the plain blue dress worn by Mrs. Cullen.  “Mrs. Cullen,” she said tentatively.

“Mrs. Rafferty, won’t you please come in?”

Mrs. Cullen opened the door and Mrs. Rafferty walked in, looking around the modest cabin without judgment on her face.  Her eyes fell on the casket and the engraved nameplate.  She nodded to the lady sitting close to the casket who hadn’t noticed her entrance.  Then she turned to Heyes and Curry who stood and watched her.

“Mrs. Rafferty, why are you here?” asked Heyes.  “Surely not to cry over the casket holding the man responsible for your daughter’s death?”  

Mrs. Rafferty looked shocked, caught Amy’s eyes and shook her head.  “No, Mr. Smith, I would never cry for the man that seduced our daughter.  But there is something you don’t know about the town of Friendship.”  She stole another look at the casket.

“And that is?” Heyes prodded.

“There’s a law, an old law, that you should know about.  Not many people know about it.  It states that to bury someone legally in Friendship, you only need the consent and approval of three townspeople.  I overheard my husband discussing it.  They didn’t want you to know.”

“I can imagine they didn’t,” Heyes agreed.

“What about Dr. Fuller?” Curry suggested.  “He’s been friendly to us.  He could be one of the three.”

“Oh, I don’t know about that.  He was the one my husband was discussing it with.”

“Mrs. Rafferty, why are you telling us this?” questioned Amy.

“I want to help, that’s all.  It’s time this town lets go of their hate and hurt and starts to heal.  Forgiveness for Austin would be a good start.”

Heyes nodded and looked thoughtful.  “Well, we have Mrs. Cullen here.  And Austin’s ma and his brother.  That’s three.  That should be enough.  How do we do this?”  He rubbed his hands together, excited that a solution was near.

“I’m sorry,” Mrs. Rafferty said apologetically.  “I should have said male citizens of the town of Friendship and, unfortunately, this farm is outside the city limits.”

Heyes paced to the fireplace and back.  “Well, then his brother and maybe Dr. Fuller…”

Amy shook her head, defeat in her voice.  “I doubt that his brother would be one of them.  The brothers had a falling out the night he left.”  

“Maybe I can get him to change his mind,” the Kid spoke up.  “I lost two brothers in the army.  Well, then, Joshua, I’ll go talk to Alex Cullen and you see if you can find Dr. Fuller.”

Heyes turned to Mrs. Rafferty.  “Would you give me directions to Dr. Fuller’s house?”

“Yes, but as I mentioned before, he’s a member of the town council and a close friend of my husband.  I doubt he’ll help you.  He lives behind his office.  I can take you there in my buggy if you would like?”

“Don’t want to cause you no trouble, ma’am.  I’ll take our wagon in to find the doctor.  Will you be alright traveling alone?”

Mrs. Rafferty smiled a privileged smile.  “Thank you for your consideration, but I’ll be just fine.”

The partners looked at each other in silent communication.  “You're sure gonna have a fat lip in the morning,” Curry told Heyes.  

“Well, you'll have a shiner to match it.  I’ll help you find Alex; let’s go around back.”  

“Kinda feels like that Bible story Gramma Curry used to tell us about Lot trying to find good people in a wicked city,” Curry mused.

Heyes grinned at him.  “Let’s hope not, Kid.  Lot never found those good men in Sodom and Gomorrah.”  

ASJ*****ASJ

When they went around to the barn for their wagon and horses, they called out to Alex.

“Alex, you here?  It’s Smith and Jones.”

“Need to ask you something.  Where are you?”

“Well, he’s not back here, let’s look in front.  

“Alex?  You hidin'?”

“Guess he left and went into town.”  Heyes shrugged.

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl 5_hero10

“Well, at least that makes him easy to find.  I’ll ride in with you and you can drop me off at the saloon.”

“Where else?”  Heyes smiled.

ASJ*****ASJ

“Bright in here,” Curry mumbled to himself as he entered the saloon.  He stepped to his right.  

“You talking to me, honey?” a pretty woman with Indian features dressed in a yellow dress with green feathers asked him.

“No, just talkin' to myself,” he answered, giving her his best smile.  “Not that I’d object to buyin' you a drink tomorrow night when I’m finished with my business.”

“What business is that, sweetie?” she asked, running her hand down his arm.  

“Came here to bury a man.  Is Alex Cullen here?”

“Yeah, he’s back at that table under the stairs.  All he does is drink, not interested in us girls.  Not like his brother.’’

Curry took a step away from her.

“Wait.  You one of the men that brought Austin Cullen home?  I hope you succeed in your business.  They say he came home a hero.”

“Saved a lot of men’s lives.”

“You know, the townspeople don’t let no Indians be buried in Memorial Cemetery.  Even if they lived their whole lives in Friendship.  Maybe burying Cullen might show them they can’t control who’s buried there.”  She turned and walked to the bar defiantly, glancing over her shoulder to wink at Curry.  “Tomorrow, sweetie.”

Curry found Alex staring at an unopened bottle of whiskey.

“Need a drink?” Curry asked.

“Not with you,” Alex answered.  “I drink alone.”

“Good, you’re gonna need to be sober in the mornin'.”  Curry moved the bottle out of his reach.

“And what would I be doing in the morning that needs me to be sober?”

“Helpin' us bury your brother in Memorial Cemetery.”

“What are you talking about?  Town council ain’t gonna let you do that even though he deserves it.”

“Why do you think he deserves it, Alex?”

“Well, you er...told us he’s a hero and all.  Saved men’s lives.”

“Seems there’s a law here in Friendship that if three citizens, and I guess only men can be citizens here, well, if three citizens give their consent and approval, anybody can be buried in Memorial Cemetery.”

“Even if the town council said no?”

“Town council’s vote won’t matter if I can find three men willin' to do this.”

Alex reached for the bottle.  “And you want me to give my, what did you say?  Consent and approval?”

“Yeah.  You’re his brother, ain’t you?”  Curry pinned him with a look.

“Every time he needed my help, I was doing something else, usually getting into trouble.  Always thought maybe one day I could do something good for him…make him proud of me, but now he’s dead.”

“Well, you can still help him now.”

“I don’t think so.  They wouldn’t take my consent and approval, anyway.  Why would they?  I’m nothing in this town.  I’m the town screw up.  The town drunk.  The town council might not let me drink here anymore.  Where would I go?”

“Heard that you used to be a fine, hard-workin' man, Mr. Cullen.”

“Ain’t no one called me Mister in a long time.  I’ll think about it.  Don’t know if I can do it, but I’ll try.”

Curry stood and headed to the door.  “Not sure if he will, but he might,” he grumbled and shook his head.  

“Mister?” the barkeep called out to him.

“You gonna make me pay for that bottle Alex has at his table?”

“No, sir, but I heard what you told him.  And, if you need another man to give consent and approval, I will.  If the town council don’t like it, well, it ain’t too hard to move a saloon to the next town down the road.”

“Thank you, sir!  I’d like to shake on that.  Need you tomorrow mornin'.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Heyes stopped the wagon and went around to lead the horses.  Petting the one closest to him, he whispered, “Yeah, I think we’re being followed, too.  Wish the Kid were here.”  He read the sign in front of the office.  “Yup, Dr. Henry Fuller.  We’re in the right place.

He had just started up the front walk when shots rang out in back of him.  “Glad this tree was here or I’d be shot for sure!”  With his gun in his hand, Heyes looked around.  “Ducked just in time.  Whoever that is, they’re serious,” he muttered.  “What would the Kid do in this situation?” he continued to talk to himself to ease the tension.

“No, that’s no good.  The Kid would step out and challenge him.  He’d win, too, but I’m not the Kid.  OWW!”  He pulled back his hand that had worked its way around to the front of the tree as he prepared to move.  Seeing movement, he shot at a shadow behind the shrubbery near the porch railing.  A man fell forward holding his shoulder.  After looking around, he ran away.  

Dr. Fuller stepped out onto his porch and Heyes walked to him.  

“Come on in, let me look at that hand.  Guess we’ll know who shot at you when I get a patient with a bullet in the shoulder tomorrow.  What happened out here?”

“They ran out of words to argue with and switched to bullets,” Heyes answered as he followed the doctor inside.  “Doctor, why didn’t you tell us about needing just three people giving their consent and approval to have someone buried here?”

“Who told you that?”

“People talk in your small town.  Seems the town council vote is not the opinion of everyone here.  Will you be one of the three, Doctor?”

“I can’t.  Don’t you understand?  Find someone else.”  His voice wavered and he looked away.  

“Henry Fuller, don’t you dare think about letting that scum be buried in the same ground as Willa Rafferty!  We have a position in this town.  You’ve got a good practice and you’re a member of the town council.  Don’t risk all that for a moment of…of self-important male lunacy!”

The physician turned back to Heyes, tying off the bandage.  “I’ll do it,” he said under his breath.

ASJ*****ASJ

“Well, somehow or other, we got our three male citizens,” Heyes told Curry on the way to the Cullen farm.  “Feeling uneasy about it, though.  Without Alex guarding the house, I think one of us should keep guard.”

“Four-hour shifts?”

ASJ*****ASJ

“Hold it right there!” Curry ordered the man walking up the walk to the Cullen home.  “Oh, sorry, Sheriff Richards.”

Hearing voices, Heyes opened the door, Amy behind him.  

“Come in, Sheriff,” she said.

Taking off his hat, the lawman looked at Heyes.  “I’ve been ordered to arrest you, Mr. Smith.”

Curry stood behind the sheriff, holding his gun sideways in case he needed to knock the man out so they could escape.  

“Sheriff, we haven’t done…”

“Not we, Mr. Smith, you.  For shooting that man last night.”

“That was self-defense, Sheriff!” he protested.  “He was shooting at me.  He tried to kill me!”

“I know.  I just came to tell you that I ain’t following the order.”

“Good, thank you, Dan.”  Amy smiled.  “Would you like a cup of coffee?  And I made sweet rolls this morning.”

“I’d like that.  Where are your girls?”  

“I told them it was important they play quietly in their room this morning.”

A knock at the door interrupted their conversation.

“Dr. Fuller, good to see you,” Heyes greeted him.  “Feeling better about this today?”

“No, but you have a convincing way about you, Mr. Smith.  Sheriff?” Fuller asked.

Heyes smiled.  “Yeah, he’s on our side now, too,” he bragged.

Another knock at the door and the bartender, supporting a drunken Alex, stepped into the room.  

“Oh, no!” Curry groaned.

“Sorry, found him this way this morning.  Didn’t get the liquor from me,” the bartender said, letting Alex stand on his own.

He lurched into the room, stumbled, and sat on the floor.  “Ain’t gonna swear whatever it was.  Ain’t got no brother no more and I ain’t gonna be forced to leave or be shot to help a dead body.”

Curry closed the door behind him.  “Used all my arguments on him last night.  I’m going to get the wagon and horses so we can head to Mr. Rafferty’s and get this resolved.”

“I’ll help you.”  Heyes followed along behind him.  

“And I’ll get this drunk back in the wagon we came in; I left it in back near yours.  I’ll try to talk some righteous sense into him along the way.”  The bartender pulled Alex to his feet and threw him over his shoulder like a bag of corn.

“I’ll help you,” Dr. Fuller added.  “Maybe if we walk him a few times around the barn, he’ll sober up some.”  

“Austin!”  His ma came out of her room and admonished her son in his drunken stupor.

“Alex,” Amy reminded her gently.  “Remember, Austin is dead.”

“I’ll be your third,” the sheriff called after Heyes and Curry.  “One of the things I came out here to tell you.  The other was to have a cup of your coffee, Miss Amy.”

“Dear, why don’t you go in and watch the girls for me.  They’re playing with their dolls in their room.”  Amy led her mother-in-law to the bedroom and opened the door.

“Yes, dear.  Of course, dear.”  The old woman went to see her grandchildren, again oblivious to what was happening around her.  

Amy and the sheriff turned as a bang hit the door and it broke open.  The large deputy that had threatened Heyes and Curry entered the room, gun already drawn.  

But the sheriff was quick and shot the man twice in the chest.  

Curry, followed by Heyes, entered from the back door just as the intruder, falling to his death, raised his gun and shot the sheriff.

The Kid heard a window breaking and saw a gun protrude into the room, shooting the sheriff again as he struggled to stand up.

“No, no!” Amy ran to the sheriff, blocking Curry’s path as John Rafferty entered the room.

“Decided that burial anywhere is too good for that lowlife scum!” Rafferty snarled, aiming his gun at Amy.

“Shoot him or something!” Heyes whispered from behind his partner.

“Can’t – Amy’s in the way!  If I shoot, he’ll shoot her.  He’s got something in mind, though,” Curry whispered back.

Rafferty backed toward the casket, keeping Amy in the sight of his gun.

He tried to light a match on the casket.

“He wants to burn the casket!” Curry growled and looked around for his partner.  “Hey, where’d you go!?”

“Put the gun down, John.”  An unarmed Dr. Fuller entered through the broken front door.  

“No, Henry, it’s his fault Willa is dead!” Rafferty ranted.

“This won’t bring her back.”

Rafferty moved the gun's aim from Amy to Dr. Fuller.  

“Come on, out the back door!”  Curry grabbed Amy's arm and pushed her toward the rear exit with his left arm, his Colt in his right.

Dr. Fuller held up his hand to Curry, motioning him not to shoot.  

Rafferty struck another match on the casket and held it close to the broken wood and the flag.

“No!” Curry shouted and shot Rafferty in the arm.  Running to the casket, he put out the small fire with a nearby rug.  “Not gonna start no fire to dishonor this hero!”

“Hi, Mr. Rafferty.  Why don’t you just let my partner there take your gun.”  Heyes held his gun against the man’s back.

Instead of surrendering his gun, Rafferty shot a bullet into the casket through the flag.

“Easy, K-er, Thaddeus, easy,” Heyes warned, grabbing the gun from Rafferty as he crumbled to the floor, crying.  

Amy came back in through the kitchen and ran to the sheriff.  Dropping down beside him, she cried, “Dan, oh Dan – are you alright?”

“Let me see him, Amy.”  Doctor Fuller knelt down beside her.  “Doesn’t look too bad.  A through-and-through bullet in the shoulder.  A graze on his arm.  Help me to tie this tight to stop the blood.”

Heyes looked out the window, his eyes widening.  “Well, what do we have here?”

The Kid joined him at the window.

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl 6_hero10

“Looks like the whole cavalry showed up.”  Heyes took a few steps outside.

Curry followed along behind and whistled.  “That’s a long line of soldiers.”

“What’s going on here?” one of the soldiers demanded from Heyes.

“That’s a long story, sir.  What are you doing in Friendship?”

“I’m the captain in command, Captain Berg, and I'm here under orders from General George Miller.  He received a wire from the Friendship Town Council here saying it was impossible to bury Sergeant Austin Cullen here.”

“If you think you’re going to make us bury Cullen here, you’re wrong!” a man from the town who had followed the line of soldiers to the Cullen farm yelled at him.  

“Not even the US Government can make us bury anybody here we don’t want to!” another yelled.

Heyes nudged Curry and turned his head to Amy standing on the porch, watching.

“Citizens of Friendship, we haven’t come here to force you to bury Sergeant Austin Cullen here.  No, we’ve come to take him away from here and escort him to Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia, where he will be buried with full military honors.  All the honors befitting a hero.”  

“Oh!” Amy whispered from the porch, clasping her hands to her bosom, tears of joy in her eyes.  

Captain Berg turned to Heyes and Curry.  “Our orders are to relieve you, Mr. Smith, Mr. Jones, and thank you for your service.  If this is what you’ve been up against, I’m sorry we didn’t get here sooner.”

“Captain, may we speak to you in private before you leave?” Heyes asked.  “We have a story to tell you, which I think should interest you very much, as well as answer a few questions.”

‘Certainly, after what you been through.  I imagine that you might be able to clear up a few things.”

“We’d like Mrs. Cullen to be present, too,” Heyes added.  “And, well, it comes with a request at the end.”

“I’m listening.”

ASJ*****ASJ

“You were right, Mr. Smith, Mr. Jones.  And thank you, Mrs. Cullen, for confirming their story.” Captain Berg nodded after Heyes had told him what he had figured out and Amy Cullen agreed.  “Let’s get Mr. Cullen in here.”

Alex Cullen, eyes bloodshot, defiantly entered the room in front of a young sergeant.  

“Mr. Cullen?” the captain inquired.

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“Mr. Austin Cullen?” Heyes pressed.

The man glanced at Amy before he answered.  “I’m Alex.”

“Are you really?”  Heyes leaned forward in his chair.  

“A, tell them the truth.  They figured it out.”  Amy fixed her eyes on him.  “They know you are Austin Cullen, my husband.”

“Okay, I’m Austin, what of it?  Alex and I are identical twins.  It was a game we always played, switching places.  No one could tell.”

“No one?” Heyes raised a brow.  

“Well,” he shrugged, “Amy could always tell.”

Captain Berg took over the conversation.  “Let me tell you what we know.  You have always liked the ladies.”

“I can’t resist a pretty lady,” Austin smirked with pride.

“You got away with it until you charmed Amy and got her with child.”

Austin looked at her in shock and gasped, then laughed.  “Yeah, probably not my first kid, but the first girl whose pa and brothers had shotguns that they weren’t afraid to use.”

Amy’s face was stoic.  “If I had it to do again, I’d leave town.  I'd say I was a widow and raise the girls on my own.”

Captain Berg’s tone became authoritative.  “So, even though your wife was with child, you didn’t change your ways?”

“Not my choice to get married; there are beautiful women everywhere,” he bragged.  “She had the farm.  Alex helped her work it.  I helped when I thought about it.  I had other things to do.”

“Wooing the ladies?” the captain asked.  

“Yeah.”  He smiled.

“Mrs. Rafferty one of those ladies?”  

“Oh, she’s fine; real fine.  I would've been with her longer, but she was so afraid her husband would find out, she ended it.  Beautiful, sweet woman.”  He took a deep breath.  “Home was the last place I wanted to be.  A woman I no longer cared about and two screaming babies that kept me awake all night.”  He shuddered.  “Alex kept nagging me about staying home, being a better husband, telling me what a good woman she was.”  He looked at Amy.  “Sure, you're a good woman.”  Then he turned to the room.  “Good women are boring.”

Heyes stood and put his hand on his hips.  “Tell us what happened with Willa Rafferty,” he demanded.    

“Oh, Willa was the prize of them all.”  He grinned.  “So fine.  Young, smart, refined and looking to rebel from her upbringing.”

“She was going to have your baby?”

“Yeah.  Didn’t know that until after.  Her pa, the high and mighty John Rafferty, town council president, caught us in their barn.  Saw the wrong end of another shotgun that night.  But,” he smirked, “sweet Willa begged and pleaded so her pa let me go.”

“What happened next, Mr. Austin Cullen?”

“I knew this was bad.  Willa was their princess.  So, I told Alex what happened.  He was always the good twin, cared about people, you know, even me.  Told him I needed to leave town quick.  I always had this back up plan of joining the army, you know, just in case.”

Heyes walked over and sat in the chair next to Austin and forcibly turned the man's face so he could look into his eyes.  “Whose idea was it to switch places?”

“His!” Austin snapped defiantly.  “He always did the noble thing.  Said he’d enlist with my name, claim Amy as his wife.  She’d get part of his pay every month.  Said this way maybe I could be around and learn how to be a husband and a father to my daughters.  Be around to watch them grow, saying I wouldn’t have much chance to chase the ladies because the Cullen name was mud.”

Captain Berg let silence settle in the room before he spoke in a tone that couldn’t be argued with.  “Here’s what’s going to happen:  

“One:  None of this leaves this room…ever.

“Two:  Miss Amy, when Sergeant Austin Cullen died, you became a widow.  You will get his pension and you no longer have a husband.  You are free to marry and carry on with life any way you want.  

“Three:  You, Mr. AUSTIN Cullen, are to leave this town, and this county forever.  If you come within two hundred miles of Friendship, you will be arrested and court-martialed for the fraud you pulled on the US Army and spend the rest of your life in a military prison.  

“Four:  Sergeant ALEX Cullen will be buried with full honors under his own name.  He was a hero in more ways than one.”

Curry nodded and grinned.  “A man I would have been proud to know.”  

ASJ*****ASJ

“Heyes, we need to sell this wagon and get some fast horses,” Curry announced as they camped about fifty miles outside of Friendship, Montana.

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl 7_hero10

“Yeah, we haven’t seen a posse in over two weeks.  I’m getting nervous.”

“Don’t jinx it, partner.  Tell me how you figured out that Alex and Austin had switched places.”

“Well, their ma kept calling Alex, Austin.  Mothers know their sons.  The doctor made the same mistake; I think he knew, too.  And the man we knew as Alex kept saying how the good twin died or it should have been him.”

Curry nodded.  “I noticed that Amy just called him ‘A’.”  

“Yeah, when we told Amy we brought her husband home to be buried, she was confused at first.”

“Mrs. Rafferty called him ‘A’, too.  Think she knew?”

“I think she had her suspicions and that’s why she helped us,” Heyes answered.

“It’s sad.  Alex was tryin' to help his brother and give the girls a pa.  He was a pretty heroic man.”

“He was.”

“You know what, Heyes?  I’m glad Captain Berg took your suggestion and made Amy a widow.  Don’t think she’ll stay that way for long with Sheriff Richards around.”

“He’ll be a good husband and a good father.”  Heyes nodded.  “Something she’s never known.”

Curry smiled.  “And it took that genius brain of yours to figure it all out.  Good job.”

THE END

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Kattyl’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

Nightwalker likes this post

Penski
Post Sat 17 Jun 2023, 1:19 am by Penski
Wonderful episode, Kattayl! I can see Heyes and Curry being cautious about going into the fort - love how Heyes found a backdoor, if needed. Very sad that the town refused to bury one of their own, but not seen as a hero for good reason. I'm glad some of the townsfolks stood up for the burial. Heyes and the Kid sure were frustrated during this episode. Thankfully the army came and took care of the situation. Thank you for your contribution this year to Virtual Season!
Post Sat 17 Jun 2023, 3:45 pm by Uk_rachel74
Interesting story. Austin was a piece of work for sure. Poor Kid and Heyes frustrated at every turn.
A Real Hometown Hero
Post Sat 17 Jun 2023, 5:25 pm by Kathy K
Oh the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. An interesting story with a twist and some good character study. Sometimes going against the grain is a difficult thing to do. Nice work!
Post Mon 19 Jun 2023, 8:13 pm by Nell McKeon
Soon enough, one knew something wasn't right about the town's reaction to the burial of the hometown hero. I loved the frustrations of the partners as they tried to deal with the situation as well as work out the why. Great handling of the twist and a very satisfactory ending for all concerned.

Thank you thoroughly enjoyable VS story.
moonshadow
Post Fri 30 Jun 2023, 2:51 am by moonshadow
This story had a little bit of everything. A new job for Kid and Heyes, I can't remember them ever transporting a body anywhere.
There was their battle against the town's prejudice - even if it was warranted by the man's history and behavior.
The comparisons that Kid made between his own brothers and the hometown hero were revealing into his thoughts, emotions and feelings of his childhood. He just couldn't understand how folks could treat someone who had fought for them they way they did. I felt a lot of empathy for him throughout this story.
There was even the mystery of the Cullen family - without giving away too much - wow, what some people will do for family!
I heartily approved of the conclusion and the terms under which Cullen will have to adhere to - it's only just considering what he was responsible for.
Post  by Sponsored content

A Real Hometown Hero by Kattayl

Page 1 of 1