Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee Empty
PostThe Sheriff and Dingus McGee

Starring

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee Pete_a15
Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes
Ben Murphy as Kid Curry

Guest Starring

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee Rip_to10
Rip Torn as Dingus McGee

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee Robert10
Robert Conrad as Sheriff Eugene Walker

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee Peter_10
Peter Brown as Deputy Blake

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee Wally_11
Wally Cox as Barney Fuller

by Penski

A man wearing a long black jacket, with his hat pulled low over his face, rode into a town towards sunset.  A long package, wrapped in a blanket, was tied over the saddle of the horse he led.  Reining in by the jail, he dismounted and stretched.  

Moments later the sheriff came out of his office.  “Who you got there, Jake?”

“Just another no good outlaw for you.”

“Got a name?”

“Yep, J McDaniels.  Killed a lawman in Texas.”

“McDaniels.”  The sheriff pondered.  “Come on in.  We’ll go through the posters to see how much he’s worth.”

“No need to; got the poster right here.”  The man took a folded paper out of his pocket.  “Says he’s worth $500 dead or alive.”

The sheriff eyed the wrapped body slung over the saddle.  “Like the way you bring ’em in.  No jail time or trial, and I don’t have to feed ‘em, just bury ‘em.”

“Besides, dead men don’t talk,” the man chuckled.

“Come on in for a cup of coffee and we’ll start on the paperwork,” invited the sheriff.  “I’ll get someone to take McDaniels over to the undertaker.”

“Much obliged, Sheriff.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry tightened the cinches of their mounts and led them out of the livery.

“Here’s the papers you have to deliver.”  Heyes handed some documents to Curry, who put them in his saddlebag and sighed.

“I know.  You don’t like the idea of us separating.”

“That’s right – no good ever comes when we separate.  Have no one watchin’ our backs.”  The Kid buckled the bag closed.

“I agree, but we need the money and these two delivery jobs became available at the same time.”

“I get it, but that don’t mean I like it.  And why do you always get to go on the shorter trip?”

“We flipped a coin and you lost.”  Heyes smiled, innocently.

“As usual.  Don’t know why I always agree to a coin toss.”

“We used your coin this time,” Heyes reminded him.  “Besides, I’ll be able to add to our money with some poker.  If I remember right, the boys at Pine Grove bet on two of a kind.”

“Then you can buy me a steak dinner when I get there.”

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 2_hh_k10

“I’ll do that.”  Heyes mounted his horse.  “It’ll be less than a week.  Meet you in Pine Grove.”

Curry settled into the saddle.  “Watch your back, Joshua.”

“You do the same, Thaddeus.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes grinned as he counted the money and pocketed it.  His delivery to Red Bluff had gone smoother than he’d hoped.  A bonus had been paid for getting it to the lawyer early.  After a quick drink and a meal, he headed toward Pine Grove.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

As the moon rose over the mountains, Kid Curry leaned against a tree and gnawed on jerky.  His hobbled horse grazed nearby.

As tempting as coffee and a hot meal were, he was safer without a fire, especially without Heyes with him.  He drank from his canteen.  “If I get on the road at dawn, I should make it to Jackson and then on to Pine Grove just in time for that steak dinner Heyes promised me.”  Cheered by that thought, Curry grinned as he took another bite of jerky.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The Kid rode into town past a ‘Welcome to Jackson’ sign and headed toward the Silver Dollar saloon.  He let his horse drink its fill from a trough before tying it to a hitching post.  “I’ll be back after I send Heyes a telegram and have a quick beer to cut the dust.” he promised.

About thirty minutes later, Curry checked his cinch, untied his horse and mounted.  “Told you I wouldn’t be long.”

Unnoticed, a man chewing on a stogie leaned against a building in an alley and watched the wanted man ride out of town until he disappeared from sight.  With a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes, he stood up and checked his gun.  He added a sixth bullet, closed the cylinder, and holstered the gun after a twirl.  Satisfied, the man walked over to his horse at the end of the alley and mounted.  “Time to go a huntin’.  Curry huntin’.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry was a few miles out of Jackson and Pine Grove was less than twenty miles away, when a few gunshots fired rapidly in succession spooked his horse.

“Whoa… easy girl,” he soothed his animal as his eyes searched the surrounding area trying to figure out where the shots had come from.

“Get your hands up, Curry!” barked a voice from behind a rock.

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 3_kc_h10

“Who?”  The Kid raised his hands.  “I think you have the wrong person.  My name is-”

“Kid Curry.”  A man holding a Colt walked into view.

“Dingus McGee.”

“You remember.  I’m touched, Kid.”

“How could I forget?  Me and Heyes kicked you outta the Devil’s Hole Gang.  I heard you were dead.”

“You heard right.  Some other poor soul died in that fire and the papers all said it was me.  Smart man that I am, I took advantage of the situation and changed professions – bounty hunter now.  Got a new name, too.  Jake Williams.”

“You’re Jake Williams?”

“So, you’ve heard of me.”

“It pays to know those who are tryin’ to turn you in.”

“Those are truthful words, Curry, and yet they didn’t help you.  Yeah, I’m so successful because I know what a lot of outlaws look like.  Take you and Heyes.  No good descriptions of you out there.”  The man walked over and pulled the Kid off of his horse, shoved him down onto the ground and put his knee into his prisoner’s lower back.  “So where are you meetin’ up again with Heyes?”

Winded, and with his face pressed into the dirt, Curry managed to answer, “I’m not.  We went our separate ways a few months back.”

McGee pulled out a leather thong and roughly tied the Kid’s hands behind his back.  “You and Heyes were as thick as blood.”

“Not no more.”

Dingus rolled his prisoner over and stared into his eyes.  The hard slap and punch came out of nowhere.  “Don’t lie to me.  Who else would you have sent a telegram to?”  Another punch.  “Where’s Heyes?

“Even if I knew,” Curry gasped through the pain, “do you really think I’d tell?”

“You will, eventually.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A battered Curry swayed as his horse walked behind McGee’s mount.  He mumbled around a fat lip, “Why didn’t you just turn me in at Jackson?  Was only a few miles back.  Where we goin’?”

“I have a friend who’s a sheriff and he don’t care how I bring in the outlaws – dead or alive.  I bet you’ve heard of Gene Walker, haven’t you?”

“Eugene Walker?”

“Yep, he’ll be happy to see you, Kid, though I bet he’d rather see both of you.”

“I bet.”

“He sure has held a grudge against you and Heyes ever since you robbed his town and made off with the loot.  Got Gene kicked outta that town and he had to do some mighty persuasive talking to convince another town he was a good enough sheriff to hire.  His new town’s a few days away.  That’ll give me time to get reacquainted with you some more and hopefully get to see Heyes, too.”

“Don’t care much for your way of gettin’ reacquainted,” muttered the Kid, aiming a heated glare at his captor’s back.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at Annie’s Café.  Afterwards, he headed over to the hotel to read for a few hours before going back to the saloon for another evening of poker.  As he stepped into the hotel lobby, he heard someone call out his name.

“Mr. Smith?”

Heyes turned to the hotel clerk.  “Yes?”

The man held out a piece of paper.  “A telegram arrived for you this morning.”

Heyes took the proffered piece of paper and smiled as he read it.  

JS <stop> In Jackson <stop> Should arrive for steak dinner <stop> TJ

“My friend will be arriving today from Jackson – Thaddeus Jones.  How long of a ride is that from here?”

“Well, he should be here sometime around lunch, depending on when he left and how fast he travels.”

“When he arrives, please give him a key to my room.”

“Yes, sir.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

McGee led Curry to a fork in the road.  The sign showed Pine Grove five miles one way and the state border in the opposite direction.  The bounty hunter, taking the road toward the border, yanked hard on the rope leading his prisoner’s horse, causing the animal to startle.

The Kid, weary and with his hands tied behind his back, fought hard to keep his balance. In the end, he lost the battle and fell off into the dirt landing hard on his shoulder.

McGee jumped down and grabbed him roughly by his hair, jerking Curry's head up and causing him to wince in pain.  “Get up, Kid!” he snarled.

Curry stumbled to stand.  McGee threw him back on the horse and tied him on.  “There, now you’ll stay put.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes closed his book and sighed as he looked at his watch.  It was after 3:00, late in the afternoon.  He paced the room a few times and ran a hand through his hair.  “Just a hunch, but I've gotta bad feeling about this.  A real bad feeling.  Maybe I’ll just go and meet you on the trail.”  Heyes gathered his belongings into his saddle bags.  “Just in case.”

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, Heyes crossed to the desk and rang the bell.

The hotel clerk hurried in from the next room.  “Oh, Mr. Smith, you’re leaving?  Your friend didn’t show up.”

“I know.  Think I’ll go meet him on the trail.  He’s always running into problems with that horse of his.”  He laid some coins down on the counter.  “Here’s enough for the room tonight.  Hopefully I’ll be back with him soon.”

The clerk took the money.  “Hope you find him, sir.”

“Me, too.”

Heyes rode five miles until he came to a fork in the road.  He was about to turn left towards Jackson when something caught his eye – a brown floppy hat on the side of the road heading toward the state border.  He quickly dismounted and picked it up.  “Kid.”  He looked around and noticed two sets of horse prints and an area where someone was on the ground.  “What happened to you?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That evening, McGee camped off the road near a creek in a copse of trees.  He had Curry tied standing upright to a trunk and was standing next to him.

“And this one’s for kickin’ me outta the Hole!”  McGee punched him in the stomach and the Kid doubled over.

The bounty hunter grabbed his hair and lifted his head.  “I'll ask you one more time, Curry, where's Heyes?”

“Go to– ”

McGee slapped him hard in the face, then turned away in disgust and sat down.  “I should’ve known you weren’t gonna tell on your partner.”

The Kid breathed hard, fighting against the pain.  He hurt everywhere.  A rib was bruised or broken.  He was cold, exhausted, hungry, and thirsty.  And alone.

“Is Heyes really worth this much pain?” McGee asked as he poured a cup of coffee and ate his dinner.  “He’d be tellin’ where you were.”

Curry didn’t take the bait and remained quiet.

McGee finished eating, tossed his empty plate on the ground and stood.  “As I see it, Kid, you have a couple of choices.  You can tell me where you were meetin’ up with Heyes and I’ll leave you alone the rest of the trip.  Or you can continue bein’ muleheaded and suffer.  Don’t bother me none if you arrive dead or alive.  Kinda enjoyin’ gettin’ reacquainted with you and reminiscin’ on old times.”  He walked over to his prisoner and hit him hard in the jaw.  “Walker’s not the only one who has a grudge!  I’ve had my own grudge against you and Heyes for quite a while now because of – ”

Click.

McGee felt cold metal pressed hard against his neck.

“Grudges are for folks with bad stomachs,” Heyes spat.  “Now get away from my partner!”

Dingus moved to the side, giving Heyes a good view of his battered partner.  “I should just kill you for doing that to the Kid.  It was me who kicked you out of the gang.  Not him.”

“You’re not a killer, Heyes,” McGee retorted with disdain.

“And you are.”  He cocked his Schofield.  "You deserve this for what you did back when you were a gang member and for what you did to Kid.”

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 7_heye10

Despite his show of bravado just moments earlier, McGee gulped, his knees wobbling.

“Not worth the bullet, Heyes,” Curry managed, his one good eye looking into his partner’s, dark with anger.  “He’s not worth losin’…what we’re fightin’ for.”

Heyes sighed and released the trigger.

McGee straightened up and gave Heyes a smirking grin.  “Told you so.”

Heyes raised his gun and brought it down hard on the bounty hunter’s head, dropping McGee unconscious to the ground.

“Kid.”  Heyes pulled a knife from his boot and cut his partner down, grabbing him before he fell.

“What took…so long?”  Curry asked as he clutched Heyes’ coat.

Heyes helped Curry over to the warmth of the fire and settled him on McGee’s bed roll.  “Got your telegram from Jackson and knew you’d be in Pine Grove around lunch.  Seeing how you never miss a meal, I knew something was wrong and came after you.”  He handed him a canteen.

The Kid took a deep drink.  “How… How’d find me?”

“Your hat.”

“Hat?”

“Yeah, at the fork of the road.  You left it so I’d know which way to go.”

“Huh, smarter than… thought.”  Curry closed his eyes.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A few hours later, the Kid opened his good eye and looked around.  Heyes was feeding McGee, who's turn it was now to be tied up to the tree.

“Heyes?” Curry croaked, his voice raspy.

Heyes turned, and seeing his partner awake, hurried over.

“Water?”

“Right here.”  Heyes opened a canteen and gave it to him.

The Kid took a drink and, over the bottom of the upturned canteen, two brown eyes met one blue.

“How you feeling?”

“Like a herd of horses ran over me.”

“You’ve had a herd of horses run over you before?”  Heyes smiled.  “Hey, does McGee have a partner he’s not telling me about?”

Curry shook his head, then wished he hadn’t.  His eye squeezed shut in pain.  “No partner… seen.”

“Can I get you something?  Think you can eat?”

“No.  Whiskey?”

Heyes rifled through a saddle bag and found a bottle.

“Hey, that’s mine!” shouted McGee.

Heyes gave the man a look that quieted him.  He knelt and poured a swallow in a cup.  “Here you go, Kid.”

Curry drank the liquor and soon fell asleep.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hours later, Curry woke and watched his partner adding sticks to the fire.

Heyes turned and saw a blue eye.  “Hey.”  He handed him the canteen.  “Hope you feel better than you look.”

The Kid took a drink.  “Hopin’… looked better… than felt.”  He glanced around.  “McGee?”

“Still tied to the tree over there sleeping.”  Heyes handed him a biscuit.  “Try to eat.  It’ll make you feel better.”

Curry took the bread and broke it up, eating a little at a time.  “Hurts to breathe.”

Heyes nodded.  “I bet it does.  I checked you over when you passed out and you bruised a rib or two pretty good.  Don’t think any of 'em's broken.  I tore up some of McGee’s shirts so we can bind them up for you.”

“McGee is Jake Williams.”

“Jake Williams the bounty hunter?”

“Yeah.”

“Did he say where he was taking you?  Would’ve thought he’d go back to Jackson or on to Pine Grove.”

“Has a sheriff friend that don’t care how he brings ‘em in.  Sheriff Eugene Walker.”

“Eugene Walker?  Of all the luck.  He has to be pretty angry with us for robbing his town.”

“Yep.  Got fired.  Has a new town.”

“McGee and Walker – you couldn’t have picked a couple of men who didn’t have it in for us?”

“What fun would that be?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Over a day later, Curry gingerly got on his horse.  His ribs were wrapped, but the act still caused a grimace of pain to cross his face.  “You sure we just wanna keep McGee tied up here?  You know he’ll get away and come after us.”

“What do you want to do with him?”

Kid Curry shrugged.

“Besides, we talked things over.  I reminded him that we could, and would, identify him as Dingus McGee, who’d be wanted for murder, if he was still alive, instead of just Jake Williams.”

Curry glanced over at McGee and lowered his voice.  “You think we can trust him?”

“We'll be long gone before he ever gets free.”

“So, we jus' gonna leave him here all tied up?”

“Yep,” Heyes nodded.  “But we'll notify the law in Pine Grove that he's out here.”

“We're jus' gonna ride into Pine Grove, walk into the sheriff's office an' tell him that we left a man tied up out here?”  Curry shook his head doubtfully.  “That don't sound like one of your better plans to me.”

“Give me more credit than that, Kid.”  Heyes grinned and spoke low, “We’ll make it sound like we’re going to Jackson just in case McGee does decide to follow us.  You double back and head towards the border.  I’ll ride into Pine Grove and leave an anonymous note for the sheriff.  He'll never know it was us at all.  Since you’ll be riding slower, I’ll be able to catch up with you.”

“Separatin’ again…”

“Just for a short while.”

“And if someone on the trail sees me all battered like this?”

“Hope it’s a gal who’ll wanna nurse you back to health.”

The Kid smiled.  “That plan I like.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“You can’t leave me here tied up!” shouted McGee.  “Untie me!  I won’t go after you!”  Heyes, Curry!”

The two former outlaws continued down the road.

“I’ll let someone in Jackson know where to find you,” Heyes shouted back.

“Jackson!?  No one will be around here until tomorrow.”

“That’s right.  Plenty of time for us to be out of the area.”

“Heyes!  Curry!  I’ll get you if it’s the last thing I do!”

“He sure changed his mind real quick, didn’t he,” the Kid commented.

‘He sure did.”  Heyes glanced sideways at his partner.  “You okay?”

“I’ve rode in worse shape.  You worry about stayin’ on your horse…”

Heyes and the Kid completed the statement in unison, “I'll worry about staying on mine."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry kept a tight grip on the saddle horn with one hand and his reins in the other hand.  A sheen on his face and sweat marks on his shirt showed the pain he tried to hide.

“Sure you’re okay?”

“Heyes.”

“We should’ve waited another day.”

The Kid sighed.  “We’ve been through this.  I’ll be okay.  Just have to take it slow.”

“Well, it’s time for us to separate.  You head back towards the state border, like we discussed, and I’m going to Pine Grove.”

“Sounds good.”  Curry reined his horse.  “Be safe.”

“You too.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes rode into Pine Grove with his hat low.  He nodded as he reined his horse when two children ran into the street.

“Sorry, mister,” one of the boys yelled back as they continued down the boardwalk.

Heyes went into the Wells Fargo telegram office and wrote a message on a piece of paper.  He folded the paper in half.

“Ready to send your message?” the clerk behind the counter asked.

“Would you deliver a message in town that’s not a telegram?”

“Sure, for two-bits.”

“Of course.”  Heyes fished out a coin from his pocket and placed it on the counter.

“Who’s it go to?” the clerk took the paper.

“To the sheriff, but I don’t want you to deliver it until you’re on your way home tonight.”

“Delay the deliver?  To the sheriff?”

“Yep.”  Heyes put a second coin on the counter.

“Yes, sir.”

“Could you possibly forget who gave you the message to deliver?”

The man smiled and held out his hand.

Heyes dropped another coin into the hand.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes galloped through the countryside to get on the road heading to the state border and back with his partner as quickly as possible.  He took a roundabout route or went the long way around the area where McGee was tied up so he wouldn’t see or hear him.  From on top of a hill, Heyes saw a lone rider wearing a brown hat on the road below.  He smiled until he saw how the rider was sitting in the saddle.  Heyes whipped his horse using the reins as he raced down the hillside to the road.  A few minutes later, he was staring at the end of a Colt.

“Dang it, Heyes!  Why’d you come up on me so fast?  I could’ve shot you!” Kid Curry, now sitting up, yelled at his partner as he holstered his gun.

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 13_hh_10

Heyes furrowed his brow.  “You wouldn’t have shot me.  Besides, I saw how you were leaning in your saddle.  You’re hurting – hurting bad.”

The Kid winced.  “I’m hurtin’ ‘cause I turned around too fast thinkin’ a posse was comin’ up behind me.”

Heyes scowled.  “No, you were – ”

“Heyes, just let it go, will you?  Do you see anyplace we can rest around here?  No.”

“Okay, but we’re resting the horses at the next stream or shade we come to.”

“Fine.  We’ll give the horses a rest.”  

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry rode into the town of Colfax as the sun was setting.  It was a larger town with several saloons, a livery, two churches and a school, two mercantiles and a variety of stores.  There were also a few boarding houses, hotels, a café, a newspaper, Wells Fargo stage, a bank, and, of course, a jail.

“Huh, no sheriff’s name posted,” commented the Kid quietly.

“How inconvenient.”  Heyes turned a frown in to a smile.  “Maybe there’s no sheriff.”

“Can we be that lucky?”

“So, do you want a drink or dinner first?”

The Kid grimaced.  “How about we get the horses settled and find a place to bed down.  I’d rather just get a sandwich or soup and eat up in the room.  I’m tired after these few days on the road.”

“You really must not be feeling well.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That evening Curry rested in bed with his arm covering his eyes.  A plate on the table still had a half sandwich.  Heyes sat on the bed leaning against the head board reading the local paper, the Colfax Journal.  Both men were in their long johns and henleys, ready for bed.

“Oh no!” Heyes gulped.

“What?  Someone’s chickens got stolen?” the Kid asked, half asleep.  “Can you turn off the light soon?”

“Kid, we have a problem – a BIG problem!”

Curry removed his arm from his face and turned toward his partner.  “What kind of big problem?”

“Colfax has a sheriff.”

“Who?”

“Sheriff Eugene…”

“Walker,” Curry groaned.  “Of all the towns and sheriffs out there, we have to choose his town.”

“Well, he obviously hasn’t seen us yet or we’d be in jail.  Just have to stay outta sight and leave early.”

“Definitely before breakfast,” Kid agreed with a sigh.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two men with their saddlebags over their shoulders and carrying bedrolls and rifles quietly went down the motel stairs and out the door without waking the clerk snoozing behind the counter.  They stepped off the boardwalk and slipped into an alley, making their way to the livery.

“The owner should be opening soon,” Heyes commented when they reached the corral.  “Sign said it opens at 6:00 a.m.”

A paper was tacked near the livery hours.  Heyes read it aloud, “Opening at 7:00 a.m. today.  Sorry for any trouble.”  He huffed.  “Another hour?  It’ll be light by then.”

“Or we can help ourselves to our own horses and leave some cash.  Could be a couple of miles away before they open.”

Heyes looked puzzled for a moment.  “You mean…?”

“You have your picks, don’t you?”

Heyes looked around and reached into his boot.  A few minutes later he had the lock opened and grinned.  “After you.”

Kid Curry drew his gun and cautiously entered the dark stables.  “Don’t look like anyone’s here.”

Heyes glanced around one more time before entering the building and shutting the door.

They quickly began saddling their horses.

Last edited by royannahuggins on Sun 02 Feb 2020, 9:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: The Sheriff and Dingus McGee
Post Sun 02 Feb 2020, 9:37 pm by royannahuggins
Sheriff Eugene Walker strolled to work in the early hour to relieve his deputy.  As he passed the livery, he heard a muffled commotion inside the stable.  Always on guard, he walked closer.

He heard a horse neigh and what sounded like it kicking a stall.

“Your dang mare!  Hurry up, Heyes!  We gotta get outta here!” the Kid hissed.  

“Can’t you see I’m trying?”  Heyes led his horse out of the stall once he had the halter on.  “Hand me the blanket, Kid.”

Sheriff Walker pulled out his gun and went to the side door where he noticed the lock was open and the note about being opened at 7am.  “Well, I’ll be.”  He listened again.

“Which saddle is yours?’

“This one.”

Walker opened the door with a bang and entered quickly.  Two men with saddles in their hands quickly turned his way.  “Drop the saddles and get down on the floor!  Feet spread and hands high above your head.  NOW!”

Heyes and the Kid both closed their eyes, sighed in resignation, and did as they were told.

The sheriff quickly disarmed the men, throwing their guns into a far corner.  “Curry, put your right hand behind your back.”  He clicked a handcuff on the wrist.  “Now your left.”  The other half locked.  “Stay right where you are.”

“Heyes, I have a gun aimed for your head so don’t move an inch.”  Walker quickly scanned the stable and found a leather thong.  “Okay, put your right hand behind your back.”  The sheriff tied the thong around his wrist.  “Now your left.”  A moment later, Heyes’ hands were securely tied.

“Okay, you can both get up.  Remember, you’re wanted dead or alive.  One wrong move and I will gladly shoot you.”

Heyes and the Kid struggled to stand up without the use of their hands.  Walker had to grab an arm and assist both up.  Curry winced in pain from the effort.

“Dang that was really lucky that a horse caused a commotion and I was outside to investigate.  I finally got me Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry!”

“Yeah, really lucky,” the Kid muttered as he looked at Heyes.

“Let’s go.  Nice and slow to the jail.”

At the early hour, few people were out on the street to watch the parade of three walking from the livery to the jail.

When they reached the jail, the sheriff yelled, “Blake!”

A moment later, a dark-haired young man opened the door.  “Who you got there, Sheriff?”

“Just a pair of the most dangerous outlaws in the West!”

“They don’t look that dangerous.”

The sheriff shook his head.  “That’s why you’re still in training, Blake.  This here is Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry!  Now open the first cell on the left.”

The deputy quickly opened the cell gawking as Heyes and Curry passed by.  “These two?”

‘Yep.  I got a good look at them when they left my last town with the bank’s money.”  He pushed them into the cell and locked the door.  “Blake, get two blankets and put them in both cells on the right.  You two…” the sheriff pointed to the outlaws, “take off all your clothes.”

“Excuse me?” Heyes said.

“You heard me!  I’ve heard how tricky you two can be and I’m not taking any chances.  You’re gonna strip down so I can check all your clothes.”

Heyes and the Kid sat down on the cot and began removing their boots and socks.  They stood up, unbuckled their belts, and unbuttoned their pants.  Shirts came off next followed by their pants.  They stood in the cell uncomfortable and clad only in their longjohns and henleys.

“I said all your clothes!”  The sheriff waved around his gun.

“Our underthings?” the Kid asked.

“Get them off!”

Heyes and Kid Curry removed their henleys, pulled off their underdrawers, and stood with their hands covering themselves.

The sheriff smiled.  “Blake unlock the cell and you two can each get into a separate cell and cover yourself with a blanket.”

Heyes went into the front cell and the Kid walked into the back cell, both gripping the blankets tightly, wrapping them around themselves to cover their nakedness while Blake locked the doors.

“What happened to you, Curry?” the sheriff asked, seeing the bruises and swelling from the recent beating.

“Fell off my horse an' rolled down a hill.”

“I’ve unfortunately seen you ride and I doubt that,” the lawman snapped.  “Should know better than to expect the truth outta your mouth!”

Both cell doors were locked.

“Now we can relax some.”  The sheriff sighed, holstered his gun, and got a cup of coffee.  “Before you go home, Blake, help me check out their clothes for any tools or things to help them escape.”

“Sure thing, Sheriff.”

“Can you start with the underthings so we can get them back soon?” Heyes asked.  “Feeling a little underdressed here.”

“Yeah, it’s a little drafty,” the Kid added, with a shiver.

Blake looked at the sheriff who nodded his approval.  The deputy checked over the items carefully as the sheriff watched.  “Nothing here.”

“You can let them have those things back then.”

The deputy pushed both sets of underclothes in Heyes’ cell.  “Here you go.”

Heyes put his clothes on the bed and past the rest through the bars.  “Here’s yours, Kid.”

The guys quickly put their underthings on while the sheriff and the deputy checked the pants, socks, and shirts.

“Here’s the rest of your clothes.”  Sheriff Walker pushed the clothes through to Heyes.

“What about our boots, belts, and hats?” Heyes inquired.

“You won’t be needing them in jail.”  The sheriff took the remaining items and put them on a table.  “Thanks for staying longer, Blake.  You can go home now.”

“If you’re sure.”

“Yep, but go by the livery and tell Max what’s going on.  Oh, and have his boy bring over their saddlebags.  Your missus probably has breakfast ready for you.”

“Any chance of us gettin’ some breakfast?” the Kid asked, buttoning up his shirt.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The sheriff sat at his desk going through paperwork while the two men ate breakfast.  He looked up and watched his prisoners while sipping his coffee.  “You two sure aren’t what I expected.”

“What did you expect?” asked Heyes.

“More cocky and better dressed.  Your clothes have definitely seen better days.”  The sheriff frowned.  “And who’d you come across, Curry?”

The Kid shrugged his shoulders and carefully chewed a small bite of pancake.

“You’re not what we expected either, Sheriff.”  Heyes drank the rest of his coffee.  “What happens now?”

“Well, I get in touch with the Wyoming governor’s office and have them send someone for you.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next day, a man wearing a long black jacket and with his hat pulled low over his face stormed into the jail.  “Walker, you wouldn’t believe who I had.”

Walker looked up from his paperwork.  “Jake, who’d you bring in this time?”

“I didn’t – but I had Kid Curry!”

Sheriff Walker looked from the bounty hunter to his prisoner in the back.  “So that’s what happened to you.”

“What?”  Jake Williams looked over to the cells.  “You have Kid Curry back there?”

“Nope, I have Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry.”

The bounty hunter stared at the lawman in disbelief.  “You're telling me that you have Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry?  Who brought them in?”

“I did.”  Sheriff Walker smiled like a Cheshire cat.

“You?”  Williams took off his hat and threw it on a bench near the door.

“Yep, as they were leaving town I took them by surprise.”

The bounty hunter shook his head in disbelief.  “I can’t believe you got them.”

“So, what happened?  How’d you get Curry only to lose him?  That doesn’t sound like you.”  The sheriff walked over to the stove and lifted the coffee pot to offer some to his guest.

“I saw Curry in Jackson and got him just outside of town.  We were camped and I was tryin’ to get him to tell me where Heyes was.”

Heyes turned and scowled at his partner, who just shrugged.

“I guess I was getting into my questioning of him too much and didn’t hear Heyes coming up behind me.”

The sheriff’s hoots of laughter filled the room.  “Heyes got the drop on you?  A stinkin’ outlaw?”

Heyes frowned.  “We’re not the only outlaws in this room.”

Sheriff and Williams turned to look at the man in the first cell – Walker’s face showed interest while the expression on Williams’ face dared Heyes to say anything.

“What are you saying?” the sheriff walked over to the cell.

“Just that Jake Williams is really Dingus McGee.”

“What!?”  Walker whipped around quickly, his gun in his hand.  “You’re Dingus McGee?  I heard he died.”

Jake’s hand hovered near his gun.  “You heard right, sheriff; McGee is dead.  Heyes is just trying to make trouble.  My name is Jake Williams.”

Heyes smiled and shook his head.  “No, some other poor guy died.  McGee was in the Devil’s Hole Gang and that’s him.  We kicked him out for being too violent.”

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 20_hh_10

“So, you’re the reason Curry is beat up?”

“You usually don’t care how I bring in outlaws,” Williams defended himself.  “Besides, he deserved it.”

“I deserved it?” Curry asked incredulous.  “What’d I do?”

Sheriff Walker waved his gun.  “Get into that other cell, McGee.”

“Sheriff…”

“Now!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Late in the evening, Heyes and the Kid were on their cots sleeping.

“Hey, Sheriff,” McGee hissed.  “I need to talk to you.”

Walker walked over to the cell.  “What?”

“Listen, you and me, we have a good deal here.  Here's the way I see things: being a lawman, you can’t collect on the rewards, right?  I bring in the outlaws and share the bounty with you, don't I?  Without me, all that goes away.  No more bounties, no more rewards; you get nothing.  I’ve been straight since I became Jake Williams.  You gotta believe me.”

“Straight?” the lawman huffed.  “Is that what you call it?  Looks to me like Dingus McGee is still alive – you take out your violent streak on your prisoners.”

“What’s it matter?  They deserve it for all they’ve done.”  He looked Walker straight in the eyes.  “As long as we've been partners, I've never heard you complain about how they arrived and you were getting your share of the money.”  Williams glanced over to the other prisoners, assured they were still sleeping.  “If you let me out, I’ll start giving you half of the bounty instead of a quarter.  We can be back in business.”

“Half the bounty?”

Dingus McGee nodded.  “That’ll be the new deal.”

“Let me think about it.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Very early in the morning, before sunrise, Walker walked around his jail and stopped by the back cell with McGee.  “We have a deal,” he whispered.

McGee just nodded.

Walker unlocked the cell and stated aloud, “Williams, you’re free to go.”

Heyes and the Kid looked up from their cots.

McGee smiled and put his hat on.  “Thank you, Sheriff Walker!”

Heyes walked over to the bars and grabbed them.  “You’re letting Dingus McGee, a known murderer, free?”

“No, I’m letting Jake Williams go free.  He hasn’t been accused of anything.”

“But I’m telling you, he’s Dingus McGee!” Heyes snapped, exasperated.

“He says he’s not and it’s his word against yours.”  Walker smiled.  “Think I’d believe a known outlaw’s string of lies?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and the Kid huddled in the far corner of their cells for a whispered conversation.

“Did you hear their deal?”

“Yeah.  Heyes, we gotta do something – and fast.  We're not safe with McGee runnin' around loose out there.  Even if we did manage somehow to get outta here, we'd be picked off like sittin' ducks by McGee once we stepped outside the door.”

“You're right, Kid.  And I've got a plan to take care of that.”

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 22_hh_10

Curry watched his partner, curious to see what he had up his sleeve.

Heyes walked over to the front of his cell.  “Sheriff, we’d like to speak to a lawyer.”

“Do you have any money for that?”

Heyes reached into his pocket and frowned.  “Well, I did have some money in here from a job I did.  Looks like I’ve been robbed.”

“That’s not your money!  I have to figure out what bank or train that belongs to.”

Heyes shook his head.  “Not from a robbery.  I earned that money fair and square with a legitimate job.”

“What kind of legitimate job?”  The lawman eyed Heyes skeptically.

“Me and the Kid both had jobs delivering papers.”

“You two delivered papers?” the sheriff asked incredulous.  “Now why don’t I believe you?”

“I guess you could send a telegram to Mr. Lawrence Tuttle at Red Rock, and ask if he hired Smith and Jones for delivery jobs, and for how much,” suggested the Kid.

“I just might do that.”  The sheriff paused and looked over at his prisoners.  “Smith and Jones?” he asked.  “You couldn’t be more creative than that?”

Both men shrugged.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Later in the afternoon, the sheriff walked into his office and put his hat on a hook by the door.  He noted Curry laying on the cot with his arm over his face and Heyes pacing the few steps in his cell.  “Well I’ll be.  I guess you two did have legitimate jobs.  Said he paid you each a hundred dollars, but that doesn’t explain the extra money in your pockets.”

“I got a bonus and won a few good poker hands.  So, about the lawyer…”

“I already talked to Glenn Spencer – Colfax’s best lawyer – and he doesn’t want your case.  That leaves you with our newest lawyer, straight outta school – Barney Fuller.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Walker finished searching a young man with glasses.  “Okay, Barney, you can go over by the cells and talk to your… clients.”

“Can we have a little privacy, Sheriff, while we talk?”

“Sure.  I’ll be right outside.  Yell if you have a problem with them.”

Walker went outside and the young lawyer cautiously walked towards the cells.

“Mr. Heyes and Mr. Curry?” he inquired in a timid tone.

Both men stood and went to stand by the bars.

“Thanks for coming, Mr. Fuller,” Heyes said, extending his right hand through the bars.

Barney quickly backed up a few steps, staring at the hand.

Heyes pulled his arm back inside the cell, a wry expression on his face.

“How old are you?” the Kid asked skeptically.

Fuller stood up straighter.  “I’ll have you know that I am twenty-five years old and graduated fifth in my class.”

Heyes glanced at his partner.  “You look younger than you are, too, Kid.”

“Fifth in a class of how many?” Curry persisted.

The lawyer straightened his glasses.  “Class of thirty.”

“Not too bad.”  Getting a look from Heyes, the Kid responded, “What?  Don’t tell me you didn’t wanna know, too.”

“I’m not sure how I can help you.”  Fuller pushed his eye glasses up with one finger.  “You’re not denying who you are.”

“Kinda hard to do that when both the sheriff and a bounty hunter know you, and can identify you on sight.”

“How do you account for that?”

“We visited Sheriff Walker's last town once,” Heyes answered, “and made a withdrawal from one of the banks.  As for the bounty hunter in town, he'll tell you that his name is Jake Williams.  But it's not.  It's Dingus McGee, a known killer; his wanted poster says he's wanted for murder.  He'll also tell you that McGee is dead.  When you check on that you'll find that information is true.  However, it wasn't McGee who died in that fire.  The sheriff just released the real Dingus McGee early this morning.  The Kid and I can prove it.  We know him.  He used to ride with us and was a member of the Devil's Hole Gang.  At least he was until we made him leave because of how violent he was.”

“He was too violent for your gang?” Barney asked skeptically.  “Aren't all outlaws violent to some degree?”

“Not us,” Heyes shook his head.  “Hannibal Heyes, Kid Curry and the Devil's Hole Gang never harmed any of the people or passengers in all the trains or banks we robbed.  We never shot anyone either.  Both of those facts are easy to prove.”  

“And Sheriff Walker released the bounty hunter knowing he’s Dingus McGee?”  Barney Fuller took a chair and sat down near the cells.  

“He sure did,” Curry nodded.

“Dingus McGee… I’ve heard that name, but not for a long time.  I read something in the paper about him dying in a fire.”  The lawyer pondered for a moment.  “Come to think of it, I haven’t seen either of your names associated with a robbery for a few years either.”

“We’ve retired,” the Kid stated.

“Retired?”

“Posses got too big, safes were getting more difficult to open, communication was becoming better and faster.  We were on borrowed time and knew that one, or both, of us would end up dead sooner or later.  We decided we wanted a different ending.”

“I understand all of that, but still, why would two of the most successful outlaws retire?  From where I'm standing, I’m looking at two men wearing pretty worn clothes and I heard the money you’re paying me with was from a legitimate delivery job.”

Heyes sighed.  “If you remember from your schooling, a state legislature offered something to outlaws… an incentive.”

Barney Fuller furrowed his brow and thought.  “Well, in ’75 Missouri offered…” he paused.  “I also heard the Wyoming governor was offering amnesty to two-bit outlaws.  The lawyer's eyes widened as realization dawned on him.  “You don’t mean…”  He gestured with his hand at the two men.  “You two?”

Heyes and Kid Curry shrugged.

“We’re hopeful.”

Kid added, “But you never heard it from us.”

The lawyer's expression grew thoughtful.  “That would explain a few things.  However, I have a question of my own.  Why would Sheriff Walker release McGee if he knew he was a killer?  It just doesn't make sense to me.”

“Haven’t you ever wondered about all the outlaws being brought to Colfax?” Kid Curry asked.

“Well, now that you mention it…”

“Dingus McGee got a second chance when someone died and it was declared to be him.  He changed his name to Jake Williams, became a bounty hunter and continued to use his violent streak to bring in outlaws.”

“Usually dead,” Curry added.

“Hmm, well, yes, they are usually dead.  But, it’s not against the law to be a bounty hunter,” Barney pointed out.  “Nor is it against the law to bring in wanted criminals.”

“That may be true,” Heyes agreed, “but not all the outlaws were wanted dead or alive.  Working as a bounty hunter, Jake Williams brings in the body.  Walker does all the paperwork, then Jake shares the reward with your sheriff – a lawman who doesn't care about the condition of the outlaws when they're brought in – he turns a blind eye as long as he gets his share.”

“Oh, well that is certainly not legal!  As part of his oath of office, the sheriff isn’t supposed to take any bounty; in fact, no monetary reward at all.”  The lawyer looked at Heyes and Curry, his expression one of puzzled concern.  “I wonder what made Sheriff Walker think he could take the law into his own hands and release a dangerous outlaw?”

“That's an easy question to answer,” Heyes responded quickly.  “Jake upped the ante and offered the sheriff something he couldn’t resist: half of the bounty if he released him and they continue with their deal.”

“Oh.”  Barney thought for a minute.  “You've explained the problem with Sheriff Walker, but what can I do for you two?  I still don’t understand why you hired me.”

“We’re concerned…” Heyes began.

“Real concerned,” Kid Curry interjected.

“… that we’ll end up being dead.”

“Dead?” the lawyer repeated in disbelief.

“Dead outlaws can’t talk.  Walker and McGee can’t be sure we didn’t hear them discussing the new deal between the two of them.”

“I’m really not sure how I can prevent that from happening.”  Barney looked down at his feet for a moment and then looked up.  “But, if you two are going straight – and it certainly looks like you are – you sure don’t deserve to die.”

“What do you feel comfortable doing to help us?” Heyes asked.

“Can I think on it and let you know?”

“Sure, but don’t take too long,” Curry warned.  “With McGee free and us in here, we’re sitting on a powder keg.  It won't take much to set it off.”

Heyes got to his feet and approached the bars.  “Our going straight can be verified by contacting Sheriff Lom Trevors in Porterville, Wyoming.  Send him a telegram and he'll confirm everything I've just told you.”

“That much I can do.”  Fuller stood up to leave.  “Gentlemen, you've certainly given me a lot of information to think about.  I’ll be in contact with you as soon as I reach a decision.”

“Thank you very much, Mr. Fuller; that's all we can ask.”  Heyes extended his arm through the bars.

This time, the lawyer didn't hesitate as he stepped forward to shake hands with the ex-outlaw.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The sun set behind and mountain range and darkness enveloped the town of Colfax.

The deputy was reading a dime novel with his feet propped up on the desk.  “Says in here that you can shoot ten folks, Curry, before reloading.  How do you do that when there’s only six bullets?”

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 27_kc_10

Kid Curry, laying on a cot, lifted his arm up from his eyes.  “Do you really believe everything you read?”

“Well…”

Walker walked through the door and the deputy quickly stood up, putting the book in a drawer.  “Howdy, Sheriff.  What’s the matter?”  He shut the drawer and walked over to stand by his boss.

“Nothing’s the matter.  I had dinner and tried resting, but couldn’t.  Why don’t you go home?  I’ll take over.”

The deputy grinned and grabbed his hat.  “You sure?”

“I’m sure.  If you hurry home, Mary may still have dinner warm.”  The sheriff took off his hat and hung it on a peg by the door.  “Get going.”

“Sure thing, Sheriff; see you in the morning.”  The deputy opened the door and left the jail.

The sheriff moved a lowered window shade to look outside.  The only light in the street came from the lamps inside the saloon, hotel, and other businesses closing for the evening.  He sat down, opened the drawer and looked at the book his deputy had stashed inside.  Shaking his head, he slammed the drawer shut again.  “Can’t believe he’s reading that nonsense.”  

He got up and poured himself a cup of coffee before sitting down, again, and getting out some paperwork.

The clock on the wall ticked off the seconds.  The seconds grew into minutes and the minutes became an hour.

Heyes and the Kid exchanged looks of concern as time passed, growing uneasy when Walker would glance their way, then look at the clock.

At 7:00 p.m., the sheriff pulled a set of keys from another desk drawer, got up, and walked over to the cells.  “All right, boys, outside,” he ordered brusquely.  He unlocked both cell doors and pushed them wide open.

Heyes, who had been looking out the small window in his cell, turned.  “What?”

“I’m letting you go,” announced the sheriff.  He went over to a table, quickly gathering everything that was on it and set their boots, hats, and jackets in the cells.

Kid Curry lifted his arm from his face and repeated, “You’re lettin’ us go.”

“That’s right – you’re free to go.”  Walker gestured with his arm, sweeping it towards the front door.  “Get your boots on.”

Heyes raised a brow.  “How come?

The sheriff frowned.  “Never you mind.  Your horses are waiting right outside the door.  Get going.  Now.”

Heyes snorted.  “That’s real funny sheriff.”

Curry raised his torso up with his elbows to look at the lawman.  “Yeah, if we were in the mood, we’d laugh.”

Sheriff Walker scowled.  “What’s the matter with you, boys?  I’m trying to let you go and you’re sitting here chawing about it.”

“Sheriff, what do you take us for?  A couple of blockheads?”  Heyes snapped and pulled his cell door shut with a loud clang.  “Why, the history books are full of stories of outlaws offered an open door and then got shot trying to escape.”

Sheriff Walker unlocked the door again and swung it wide open.  “Boys, you can’t stay.  You gotta go.  In fact, I'm ordering you to go.”

“Why?” Heyes repeated as he sat down on his cot and folded his arms across his chest.

Sheriff Walker, frustrated, humphed.  “I don’t have to tell you why!”

Kid Curry laid back down.  “Then we don’t have to go.  We got our constitutional rights.”

Sheriff Walker glared at the two outlaws.  “I say you’re leaving now!”  He pulled out his gun and waved it in their direction.  “Get going!”

“So McGee can shoot us for escaping?” Heyes scoffed.

“I said get your boots on… NOW!”  The hammer clicked on his weapon.

Heyes sighed.  “Looks like we don’t have a choice, Kid.”

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 29_hh_10

Both outlaws sat on their cots, taking their time putting their boots and hats on, making each action last as long as they could.

“Get those hands up in the air right now and start walking towards the door.”  The sheriff motioned with his gun.

“Why don't you just shoot us now.”  Curry raised his hands.

Heyes stomped on his last boot.  “He can't, Kid; he's bluffing.  Firing a shot, or two, would alert the town and he sure wouldn't want that, would you now, Sheriff?”  Not waiting for an answer, he went on.  “It would draw too much attention to him and what he's trying to do.  If we were shot inside our cells or the jail, it wouldn’t look like an escape that way, right, Sheriff?”  He stood and raised his hands, too.

"You're right, Heyes.  But I can knock you both out, drag your bodies out back behind the jail and THEN shoot you.  Nobody'd ever be the wiser, would they?  It'd still look like Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry got shot trying to escape from my jail."

Heyes and Kid exchanged a look of resignation.

Just then the jail door opened and Barney Fuller walked in staring at a piece of paper he held in his hand.  He glanced up; his eyes went wide and his face paled.  He hastened to put his hands up in the air when the sheriff swung the gun around to point it at him.  “What’s… what’s going on?” he stuttered.

Heyes cleared his throat and the sheriff’s gun swung back to him.  “A small misunderstanding,” he answered.

“Did Lom come through?” Curry searched the lawyer's face hopefully.

Barney nodded.  “Yes, Sheriff Trevors confirmed that you two have been straight for several years.  He’s also extremely concerned about McGee possibly being alive.  He stated that he can identify him, if needed.”

“Trevors was in the gang when McGee was there the first time,” Heyes explained.

Sheriff Walker waved his gun at Fuller again.  “Get over there.”  He pointed towards Heyes and Curry.  “I’ve only turned in wanted people with bounties on their heads.  Every one of 'em was all nice and legal, including the paperwork.”

Fuller walked over to join his clients, his hands up, still holding the telegram in one.

Heyes took a step forward.  “Sheriff Walker, listen to what I'm about to say to you.  Barney knows everything and now so does Sheriff Lom Trevors from Porterville, Wyoming.  It’s all too suspicious.”  He lowered his hands a little.  “Killing me and the Kid is one thing, because we’re wanted dead or alive, but what are you going to do about Barney Fuller?  He's well-known in this town, but he knows too much to stay alive; shooting him would be shedding innocent blood.  Plus, Sheriff Trevors knows where we are and you know that questions will be raised if we're killed.”

The sheriff leaned against his desk for support, sweat starting to form at his temples.  The lawman didn't seem as sure of himself as he lowered the gun to rest on his thigh.

Heyes took another step forward.  “Do you really think Dingus McGee will keep bringing bounties to you after this mess?  He has to share half of the money with you now.  Not to mention it also has become far too risky to keep bringing dead outlaws to you now that people are beginning to look in your direction.”  Heyes gave the lawman a thin smile.  “You know, Sheriff Walker, you might find yourself meeting up with an 'accident' of your own if McGee, a known killer, thinks you know too much.  He’s not known for his morals.”

“He has no morals at all!” Kid Curry huffed.

Heyes glanced at his partner and nodded in agreement before taking another step towards the sheriff and lowering his hands a little more.  “Think about it.  Instead of an accomplice to murder, you could be a hero, Sheriff Walker.”

“How?”  His steady hold on the gun wavered even more and the lawman's eyes lost some of their desperation.

“You could bring Dingus McGee in now – be a hero for exposing him to be still alive.  Like I said, Sheriff Trevors can positively identify him, too.”

The sheriff furrowed his brow.  “What about you two?”

Heyes looked back at his partner.  “We wouldn’t make a fuss.  We'd go back into our cells quietly.  You caught us fair and square; can't argue with that.”

“We just wanna stay alive.”  Curry took a few steps forward to back his partner.

“We’d rather have McGee in custody and throw ourselves at the mercy of the state of Wyoming,” Heyes continued.  

Outside, Dingus McGee hid in the shadows near the sheriff’s office, impatiently waiting for the two outlaws to come out.  His cocked gun was pointed at the door.  His eyes narrowed and he cursed under his breath when he saw the lawyer walk into the jail.  “What's goin’ on in there?!”

He sidled up to the building and peered in through a window with the shade not fully pulled down.  “What the heck?” he muttered as he observed the sheriff starting to lower his gun on the three men with their hands up.  “Oh no you don't, lawman!”

“Like I said,” Heyes continued, “you turn in McGee and you’ll be a hero – ”

Brandishing his gun, Dingus barged into the room.

Heyes and the rest of the men turned towards McGee.  The sheriff pointed his weapon in the bounty hunter's direction.

“You traitor!” shouted McGee as he came further into the room.  “Turn me in!?  What happened to our plan about getting the $20,000 bounty on Heyes and Curry?”  He backed up so he could cover the sheriff, too.

“I didn’t agree to turning you in yet.”

“Yet?!”  Dingus glared at Walker and aimed his gun higher towards the lawman's chest.

Kid Curry charged McGee and knocked the gun out of his hand.  The weapon slid a few feet away into a corner.  The Kid and McGee both lunged towards it with Curry narrowly reaching it first.

The sheriff shifted his gun to cover the two men grappling on the floor.

Heyes saw his chance and rushed towards Walker.  He grabbed the hand holding the gun, forcing the sheriff's arm backwards.  Walker swung hard at Heyes with his free hand, but missed when Heyes ducked.  

Heyes caught the lawman with a swift uppercut, followed by a punch to his abdomen.  With Walker momentarily stunned, Heyes smacked the gun from the sheriff’s hand, causing it to land on the desk.  He quickly grabbed it.

“Stop!” Heyes shouted, the gun pointed at the sheriff.  The yell caused McGee and Curry to pause for a moment.  It also allowed the Kid to gain control of the gun.

Keeping his eyes on everyone, with his free hand, Heyes grabbed the keys from the desk where Walker had dropped them.  “Get up, McGee,” he ordered, “and get into a cell.  You, too, Sheriff.”

Kid Curry got to his feet and took charge of getting the bounty hunter and the sheriff into separate cells.  Heyes followed and locked the cell doors.

Barney Fuller, wide-eyed, stared at his clients.  “What… what about me?” he stammered.

Heyes sighed.  “Sorry, Barney, but we changed our minds about giving up without a fight.  Can you go into a cell and wait there?  I’m sure someone will be coming in soon to get the sheriff.”  

Fuller nodded, hands still raised, and walked into a vacant cell.

“Thanks, Barney.  You can lower your hands now.”  Heyes locked the cell.

Kid Curry went through the desk drawers.  “Heyes, we have a problem.”

“What’s that?” Heyes came over to his partner.

“Our guns.”

Heyes looked towards the sheriff, who glanced at the safe in the corner.  “I know where they are.  A Brooker 101 should only take me a few minutes to get into.”  

He removed his hat, placed it on the desk, and sat cross-legged in front of the safe.  Leaning his head against the cold metal, he sighed and began to gently manipulate the dial as he listened for the tumblers to fall into place.

Kid Curry sat down at the desk with a gun still pointed towards McGee, who glowered from the cell.  Kid’s left hand supported his sore ribs.

It wasn't long before Heyes smiled as he pulled down the handle and opened the safe.  “Here they are.”  He pulled out the two familiar holsters and guns.  “Here’s our money, too.”  He pocketed the bills.

“Gettin’ slower, Heyes.  Took you a full ten minutes.”  

Heyes stood up.  “I haven’t had much chance to practice, have I?”  He held the Kid's gun out.

Curry rose and took the proffered gun.  He buckled it on and tied it down.  “That feels better.”

“You’re still going straight, aren’t you?” Barney asked as he watched his clients preparing to leave.

“We are.”  Heyes tied down his gun.

Curry grabbed the rest of his belongings.  “It’s kinda become a habit.”

Heyes went over to Walker’s cell.  “Sheriff, remember, you can still be a hero by exposing Jake Williams as Dingus McGee.  Contact Sheriff Lom Trevors to assist with positively identifying him.”

Sheriff Walker sighed, looked down, and nodded.

“You’ll be doing everyone a favor capturing McGee.”

“Heyes, come on.”  Kid Curry opened the door a crack and looked outside.

“Barney, thanks, again, for your assistance and sending that telegram to Trevors.”  Heyes pulled his money out of his pocket.  “How much do we owe you?”

“Heyes!”

“Just a minute!”  Heyes sent his partner a look, then turned back to the lawyer.

“Umm… I really didn’t do that much.”  The lawyer nervously pushed his eyeglasses up.

“I’d say you saved our lives.  If you hadn’t come in when you did – ”

“Heyes!”

Heyes peeled off twenty dollars and handed it to the lawyer.  “Here’s something for your time.”

“Heyes, I’m leaving without you!”

“I’m coming!”  Heyes grabbed his things and the two outlaws disappeared into the darkness.  “Sheesh, talk about proddy people...” he muttered.

They made their way over to the livery.

“Closed.  That’ll make it easier to get our horses.”  Heyes pulled out a lock pick and quickly opened the door.

They made their way into the dark stable. Horses nickered as the two men drew near.

“Hopefully you can control that mare of yours this time and we can get outta here before anyone hears us,” hissed Kid Curry as he began saddling his horse.

“You saddle your horse and I’ll saddle mine.”  

They led their horses outside and Heyes mounted up.  He noted the Kid drew in a fortifying breath, bit his lip and tucked his arm to his side before doing the same.

Once his partner was settled in the saddle, Heyes voiced his concern.  “You okay to ride?”

The Sheriff and Dingus McGee 34_hh_10

“I’ll be a whole lot better soon as we get as far away from Sheriff Walker and Dingus McGee as possible!  I've seen enough of 'em to last me a lifetime!”  Kid Curry smiled.  “Let’s get a move on—someone owes me a steak…”

(Writers love feedback! You can comment on Inside Outlaw's story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen. You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous. You can type any name in the box.)
Penski
Post Sat 22 Feb 2020, 4:23 pm by Penski
This story started out as a challenge and I was encouraged to make it a VS story. My baddies are in memory of actors who recently passed away - Rip Torn and Robert Conrad. RIP! rose

I'm taking a quick moment to thank my right hand person, moonshadow, who's helped with everything I've needed help on. Also, thanks to all who contributed stories this year - without you, there would be no Virtual Season! And a thanks to all of our readers.

Hope you enjoyed this story.
Fun
Post Sat 22 Feb 2020, 4:53 pm by rachelcz1
Enjoyed this a lot. :)
Good story
Post Sat 22 Feb 2020, 10:45 pm by ladkisso
clap Good story, I thought some of it was familiar, glad you shared it on VS. It's never a good idea to separate, glad Heyes found Kid's hat and then the kid. Pretty bad luck that they wind up in town with the wrong sheriff. I liked the young lawyer and now he can say he had some high profile clients even if they did leave him in a cell.
moonshadow
Post Sat 22 Feb 2020, 11:57 pm by moonshadow
clap What an entertaining VS episode, Penski! goodjob
It captured my attention from the beginning and held it all the way through, clear until the final word.
You had some mighty mean bad guys. Not only was there a crooked, scheming bounty hunter, there was as well an unscrupulous lawman - a truly bad combination for Heyes and Curry. They sure had a good thing going, didn't they?
Aw, that Dingus fella really roughed up the Kid, didn't he? eek
It's a good thing that Heyes can figure things out so well - and so quick. I was a tad worried there for a bit, you helped him come up with a great workable plan to get them outta trouble once again and back on the trail so they can ride next week into a new adventure.
Thanks for sharing this adventure with us - it was a pleasure to ride along with the boys! biggrin

Last edited by moonshadow on Mon 24 Feb 2020, 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Mon 24 Feb 2020, 5:09 pm by AllegraW
Wonderful episode, Penski. I can picture it all the way through. It was fun to read about the boys again. It’s been a while since I visited them. AllegraW
Post Wed 26 Feb 2020, 4:45 am by Nightwalker
One thing I really enjoy about the virtual season is the visual character of the stories. Right from the first line you started off my "Kopfkino" (=head cinema). You gave the boys quite a hard time in your gripping and adventurous story. Enjoyed it immensely. clap
Post Thu 27 Feb 2020, 6:36 am by Dan Ker
What's a guarantor for a good adventure story?
"No good ever comes when Heyes and Curry seperate."
It's the second story of this VS which uses this basic principle. An expanded challenge story lays the foundation of "The Sheriff and Dingus McGee", so the first part might be known to one or the other reader.
It's written by one of the famoust ASJ authors with many years of experience.

It's a very classical story with a solid result.
Written close to the series with repeated phrases and slightly modificated sentences (absolute lovely "you saddle your horse and I saddle mine") there are a lot important factors Penski takes into account which makes "The Sheriff and Dingus McGee" to a really enjoyable, typical ASJ read.

It's a more serious plot, in which the boys have to endure bad luck ( "Of all the towns and sheriff's out there, we have to choose his town" . And things like a kicking horse can happen), and Kid is quite on the receiving end. The corrupt sheriff and the bounty hunter are making the story exciting.
The boys are vividly described in their common behaviour (" they closed their eyes and sighed in resignation").

In between rather unusual but funny scenes like their stripping down all clothes which is described in detail. Wonderful imagination both of them standing there with their hands covering themselves.
Nice to see how Heyes manages to offer the sheriff a way out of his situation and as a little treat to watch him opening a safe once more, always important for him to get some "practice".

The atmosphere of the series is well captured and revealed in the scene when the inexperienced lawyer first denies to shake Heyes' hand and when he gets to know him better is courageous enough to take it.
The action scenes are well described and especially
Heyes is a joy to watch the way he waits for his opportunity.
I very much like their characterism of their survival streak:" "We changed our minds about giving up without a fight."

The story is a "round" thing because every expectation is fulfilled . Everything is fine again inclusive the reminder of a steak dinner.
That's a story quite to my taste and the reason why I love reading fanfiction.
Post Tue 31 Mar 2020, 5:59 pm by Kathy K
Good story and good choice of actors. Really enjoyed this start to finish
Post  by Sponsored content

Page 1 of 1