Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Empty
PostSheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski

Starring

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Pete_a21

Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes and
Ben Murphy as Kid Curry

Co-Starring (in order of appearance)

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Wilfor10

Wilford Brimley as Gus, the bartender

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Henry_10

Henry Fonda as Logan

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Frank_10

Frank Cady as Earl McGregor

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Kevin_12

Kevin Hagen as Milton Grove

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Mauree10

Maureen O’Hara as Hattie Tucker

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Meliss11

Melissa Sue Anderson as Tillie

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Butch_10

Butch Patrick as Tommy

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Kurt_r10

Kurt Russell as Joe

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Johnny12

Johnny Whitaker as Bobby

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Jack_e10

Jack Elam as Homer Wilson

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Carrad10

Carter brothers – Robert, David and Keith Carradine

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski James_14

James Arness as Marshal Dillon

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith – Part 2
by Penski

“Sorry to wake you!  The sheriff told me not to, but he’s in trouble!”

“What kind of trouble?”  Heyes started walking quickly from the boarding house.  “Where’s Thaddeus?”

Logan hurried behind him.  “In front of the Gold Nugget.  You see, there’s a gunslinger, Homer Wilson, who called out one of the miners for his stake.  Sheriff didn’t give me a chance to tell him that Wilson has others with him.”

“How many?”

“Three of 'em.  I didn’t see 'em in the street, though.”

Heyes started running.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“And who are you?”  Homer Wilson spat at his new adversary.

“Jones.  Sheriff Jones.”

“And just how are you gonna stop me, Sheriff Jones?” Wilson sneered.

“Well, to start, I’m gonna point out that it’s not a fair fight.  You really should pick on folks who can at least shoot.”  Curry stood near the miner.  “It’s Harold, right?”

“Yessir.”

“What’d you do to irritate him?”

“Wouldn’t give him the deed to my land.”

“Land for sale?”

“No, sir.  I’m workin’ it and it’s producin’.  Don’t wanna sell.”

Curry turned to face the gunslinger.  “You know my name.  What’s yours?” he asked in a louder voice.

“Homer Wilson.  Probably heard of me.  I have a reputation for never losin’ a gun fight.”

“Is that so?  Well, Wilson, Harold here doesn’t want to sell his stake.  I’m not gonna let you shoot a man for his land.”

“And who’s gonna stop me?”

“Me!”  Kid Curry stepped forward.  “Harold, get outta here.  Go in the saloon and tell Gus I said to keep you safe.”

“Thanks, Sheriff!”  Harold ran onto the boardwalk and into the saloon.

“So, you think you can shoot, huh, lawman?”

Curry did a single nod, his eyes never leaving his opponent.  “I can usually hit what I aim for, if that’s what you’re askin’.  However, I’m tellin’ you to put your gun away and leave the area.”

“Afraid I can’t do that, Sheriff, ‘cause of my reputation.  Never walked away from a fight.”  Homer Wilson's fingers curled and flexed.  “And I ain’t plannin’ to start now.”

“Well, it’s your call.”  Blue eyes went glacial, and arms went down straight to his side.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes came to an abrupt stop as he saw the action unfolding.  “Where are they?”  He glanced at the rooftops and windows.

Logan almost bumped into Deputy Smith with the quick stop and began looking around, too.

“There!”  Heyes pointed to a rifle barrel peering over a false roof front.

“I see another one over here.”  Logan pointed to a curtain moving to the side and a gun pointing down from a second-floor window.

“Where’s the third!?”  Heyes frantically scanned the area again.  As the event escalated, he pulled out his gun.  “You stay outta the way; I have to take a stance behind Thaddeus.  I’ll get the one on the rooftop and you get the one behind the curtain.”

“Sure thing, Smith!”  

Heyes walked into the street.

Logan took off running as fast as he could.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Curry tensed as he heard footsteps behind him.  

Heyes spoke quietly as he approached his partner.  "It's only me, Thaddeus."

A split second later, Wilson went for his gun.  

Catching the glint of sunlight on metal out of the corner of his eye, Kid Curry drew, shot and then turned to his right.  He fired again.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Shooti10

Heyes shot above Curry’s head and the rifle barrel’s aim was affected when the bullet hit it.  The rifle’s shot went up and hit the Gold Nugget sign.

Logan barged into the room with the second-floor gunman.  “Hold it right there!”

The gunman turned and fired, but the deputy’s bullet found its mark, hitting the man in the right arm.  His hand wavered as he fired.

Logan gasped as a bullet grazed his thigh.

Heyes rushed up to the rooftop.  “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.  Put it down!”  Dark eyes and an unwavering gun pointed at the man.

“Don't shoot – I surrender!”  The gunman put his rifle down and held up his hands.  

Homer Wilson lay in the street bleeding.  The third gunman clutched his bleeding shoulder in an alley.

“Get the doctor!” Sheriff Jones commanded.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The doctor was in the cell bandaging up a shoulder and an arm.  The uninjured gunman sat in the cell surrounded by the blanket.

Deputy Smith paced the office.

Morton Grove, the mortician and honorary mayor, came into the sheriff’s office.  “See you gave me a customer, Sheriff Jones.  Have a name for me?”

Kid Curry sighed.  “Homer Wilson.”  He pointed to the board on the wall covered with posters.  “He was wanted.”

Grove looked around at the cells.  “This could have been so much worse.  Good job, Sheriff.  Deputies.  Excellent work.”

The doctor finished with the prisoners and saw Deputy Logan leaning on the desk, a bloody bandanna around his thigh.  “You, too?”

Logan nodded.  “Just a graze.”

“Looks like it’ll need stitches.  Think you can make it to my office?”

“Sheriff?” Logan looked questioningly at his boss.

“Go.  Get your leg properly looked at and take the rest of the day off.  See you in the mornin’.”  The Kid took a seat behind his desk.

“Thank you, sir.”

“I’ll help.  You can lean on me, Deputy Logan.”  Grove offered him an arm.  “You’re really proving yourself, especially today.”

Logan limped out of the office with the doctor, his arm over Grove’s shoulder as the mortician helped him keep weight off the leg.

Heyes continued to pace the office.

The Kid watched his deputy.  “Would you sit down?”

Heyes turned toward his partner, his eyes dark with anger.  “Haven’t you forgotten something?” he spat.

“Joshua…”

“ME!”  Heyes kicked a chair and sent it flying backwards.  “You forgot your partner!  How am I supposed to back you up if you don’t even tell me what’s going on?  Yeah, Logan told me you said to let me sleep.  Well, I’m sleeping in here from now on because I can’t trust my partner to get me!”

“You done?” the Kid asked calmly.

Heyes took a deep breath and slowly released it.

“I was wrong.  Thank you for bein’ there to back me up.”

“Logan told me there were three more.  He didn’t have a chance to tell you.  We found the two, but not the third.”  Heyes uprighted the chair and sat down.

“I was already takin’ in all that was happenin’.  I should've let Logan talk.”  Curry pulled out a pint bottle from the far back corner of a drawer and handed it to Heyes.  “It was pure luck that third fella's gun caught the sun when it did.”

Heyes took a drink and passed the bottle back.  “You killed him.”  

Curry took a deep swallow.  “I saw the other gun and knew I couldn’t just wound him and take the chance that I'd get the other one before he got me.  Wilson was good.  I felt the bullet as it whizzed by, just missin’ me.”  Kid Curry stood and showed his partner a mark on his leather vest.

“That was close.  Too close.”  Brown eyes locked with blue as the two men shared a moment of silent resignation.

“I know.”  The Kid glanced down at his vest.  “Thank goodness Logan didn’t listen to me and got you.  I’ll have to thank him tomorrow.”

“You okay?” Heyes asked.

“I will be, partner.”  Curry stood and removed Wilson’s wanted poster from the board.  “I will be.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry wiped the barrel of the office rifle.  “Hey, Logan, can you do me a favor?”

“What’s that, Sheriff?”

“Can you run over to the boarding house and bring me back some lunch?  I wanna finish cleanin’ these rifles.”

“Sure!”  Logan walked over to the Tucker Boarding House and knocked on the door.

Mrs. Tucker opened the door and removed her apron.  “Oh, Deputy Logan, do come in!”

“Thank you, ma’am.”  The deputy removed his hat and came in.  “You look lovely today.”

“Aren’t you kind.”  The widow blushed.  “How may I help you?”

“Sheriff Jones is in the middle of cleaning guns and asked me to come get his lunch.”

“Oh, yes, let me get it for you.  You’re becoming quite the talk of town, you know.”

“Ma’am?”

“Everyone is commenting how much you’ve changed for the better.  I’m proud of you and what you’re doing.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”  Now it was Logan who blushed.  “I couldn’t have done it without Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith believing in me.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry was finishing his paperwork, Heyes was reading, and Logan was cleaning a rifle.

“No wonder lawmen are so grouchy.”  Curry rubbed his eyes.  “Too much paperwork to do just to transfer those three prisoners.”

A train whistle blew in the distance.

Heyes quickly stood and put on his hat.  “Wanna come and check out the train?”

Sheriff Jones threw down his pen and stood.  “I need a break.  You comin’, Logan?”

“Sure, why not.”  The deputy set the rifle down on a bench.

The three lawmen neared the depot when the train arrived.  The engine slowed to a crawl and a steam plume released into the air.  People moved forward to greet their friends or relatives, drum up business to take the passengers to their destinations, or unload supplies.

Arms crossed, Deputy Smith and Sheriff Jones leaned against a building watching the action while Deputy Logan assisted a man struggling with a large trunk.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski See_ca10

Heyes straightened as he looked down the line of rail cars.  He tapped his partner and pointed.  “Think we have a problem, Kid,” he whispered so only Curry heard.

Slinking out of a freight car were three dangerous looking men.

“Is that…”

“Yep, the Carter brothers – Dave, Dan, and Darryl,” Heyes continued.

“And they know us.”

Heyes nodded.  “Yep, and probably still hold a grudge against us for kicking them outta the Hole.”

“Let’s see what they’re up to, then figure out what we’re gonna do about them.”  Curry drew his gun as he slid around the building and behind a waiting wagon, Heyes following.

“Dagnabbit, where are we now?” Dave asked as he and his brothers hurried from the rail car and then stopped to eye their surroundings.

“Russell Gulch, Colorado.”  Darryl pointed to the depot sign.  “Hopped on another wrong train going in the wrong direction, Dan.”

“Russell Gulch…”  Dan rubbed his chin.  “Ain’t this a minin’ town?  A successful minin’ town?”  He grinned.  “Looks prosperous, too.  Maybe we can relieve the town of some of its money.”

Darryl put an arm about Dan’s shoulders.  “Maybe it wasn’t a wrong train after all.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Dang!  Things were goin’ so smoothly, too, for three weeks.”  Kid Curry threw his hat on the desk, making a few pieces of paper float down to the floor.  “Argh…”  He bent down and picked them up.

Logan walked into the office.  “Lots of activity by the train – folks comin’ and goin’.”

“Logan, can you do your rounds earlier than normal?  Make sure everyone is settlin’ in and there’s no trouble?”  Sheriff Jones plopped into his chair.

“Sure, Sheriff.”  Deputy Logan checked his gun, as he was taught, and walked out of the office.

Heyes handed a cup of coffee to the Kid and sat down in front of him.  “They’ll call us out as soon as they see us.”

“Yep.”

“Probably make a commotion.”

“Yep.”

“Try robbing the bank, if we don’t do anything.”

“Yep.”

“So, what do you wanna do, Sheriff Jones?”

“You wanna be the sheriff?”

“Nope.  You’re doing a fine job.”  Heyes blew on his coffee and took a tentative sip.

The Kid held his head in his hands.  “They don’t know Logan.”

“What?”  Heyes asked.

“Carter brothers don’t know Deputy Logan.”  Curry looked up.  “What if he arrests them, with us in the background?”

“And then what?”

“Well, we can contact the area’s marshal to come and get them so he’s on his way even before the arrest.  We can make sure they don’t leave town.  Maybe we can let Logan know the prisoners can’t see us.”

“We could stay more on the porch watching the town and run things,” Heyes added.

“Rearrange that blanket so we can get to that small cell through the back door, so they don’t see us.”  The Kid took a sip of coffee.

“Too bad we can’t just put them in the covered cell.”

“I thought about that, but that’d look suspicious.”  The Kid ran his fingers through his hair.  “Think the marshal might know us?”

“I don’t wanna risk that, do you?”  Heyes raised a brow.

“No.  Logan could do the turnin’ over to the marshal, too.

Heyes smiled.  “I think we have a plan.”

“A plan… Not the best plan.”  Curry took another sip.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones joined Deputy Logan on his rounds.  “How’s everything?”

“Good, Sheriff.  Real good.  I just have to check a few more places.”

“Notice anyone new?”

“Not yet.  Well, in the hotel lobby, of course.”

The Kid smiled.  “Of course.”

Logan pointed down the street.  “Joshua’s goin’ into the Wells Fargo office.”

“Yep, I asked him to send a telegram.”  Curry stopped at the door of the Gold Nugget Saloon.  “Think I’ll check the back door while you go in the front.  Oh, and Logan, pocket your badge for a spell.”

“Take off my badge?”

Curry nodded.  “Just while you’re in the Gold Nugget.”

“Okay, if you say so.”  Deputy Logan removed his badge and put it in his pocket.  He went up to the bar and turned so he could see the customers in the saloon.

“Howdy, Logan,” Gus greeted his old customer.  “Can I get you something?”

Logan looked around the room and saw strangers at a table in the corner.  He also saw the sheriff slide in through the back door with his gun drawn, quickly glance about, and exit the saloon.  “Huh.”

“Did you want something?”  Gus repeated.

“No.  No thanks, Gus.  Think I’ll just mosey back.”  Logan took a good look at the men before leaving the saloon.

“You knew there was trouble in there before you even saw inside,” Logan stated as he met the sheriff near the office.  “How?”

“Me and Joshua saw them get off the train and since they weren’t in another saloon, they had to be there,” the Kid replied.  “Let’s go back into the office and talk.”

They walked in the office just as Heyes started moving the blanket.

“Sent it,” Heyes said without being asked.

Curry nodded as he sat down behind his desk.  “Logan, have a seat.”

The deputy looked between Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith, then sat down.  “What’s goin’ on?”

“Remember us tellin’ you we believe in second chances?”

The man nodded.  “Yeah.”

“Well, me and Joshua have to believe ‘cause we’re hopin’ for a second chance from the law.”

“You and Joshua are…”

“Were!  We were on the other side of the law; we’ve seen the errors of our ways.”

Heyes finished arranging the blanket and joined them, leaning against the desk and folding his arms.  “Those men are the Carter brothers.”

“Carter brothers!?  Why, they’re wanted for robbery and murder!  Let’s go get ‘em!”  Logan jumped up and pulled his gun.

“Sit down, Logan,” Sheriff Jones commanded.  “Not yet.”

Logan sat down.  “Why not?”

“Because the Carters know us,” Heyes said simply.

Logan furrowed his brow.  “Because you rode together?”

“No, because we didn’t stand for no murderin’!” the Kid exclaimed.

“But they do know us from the outlaw trail,” Heyes continued.  “Need to arrest them, but they can’t see the two of us.  I already sent the marshal a message and he’s on his way.”

“Can I assume this marshal can’t see you either?”

“That’s right.  The Carters and the marshal can’t see us,” Kid Curry replied.

“So how we gonna arrest them and…”  Logan looked at the sheriff and deputy, gulped, and pointed to himself.  “Me?”

Heyes and the Kid smiled.

“We’re gonna be there and back you up so you won’t be alone.  If there’s a problem, we’ll come outta the background.”  Sheriff Jones leaned forward.  “You can do this, Deputy Logan.  We have full confidence in you.”

“So, after the arrest…”

“You’ll bring them back here.  Now I’m gonna have to ask you to be here at the jail 24 hours a day until you turn them over to the marshal.  I know that’s a lot to ask.  Either me or Joshua will be on the porch or in the small cell with the blanket.  Joshua made it so we could enter through the back door and not be seen by anyone in the other cell.”

“We’ll do all the rounds, get the meals, and do everything else.  You just have to watch over the prisoners and their needs,” Heyes continued.  “Once they’re in their cell, no wearing your gun or keeping the keys.  We’ll be nearby so you just have to yell if you’re in trouble.”

“What if they have to go on back and use the outhouse?” Logan asked.

“They can’t.  Me and Joshua will be takin’ the chamber pot outside and cleanin’ it.  Your job is to stay with the prisoners all the time.”

“What about sleeping?”

“Sorry, but you’ll have to sleep at the desk,” Heyes apologized.  “But we’ll be in the cell behind the blanket watching the prisoners.  We’ll bring you and the prisoners their meals, but will have to leave them right outside the door,” Heyes instructed the new deputy.

“What if I have to… you know.  I don’t wanna use a pot in front of the prisoners.”

“Just rap, alertin’ me and Joshua, whenever you have to go outside.”  Sheriff Jones smiled.  “You’ll be the town’s hero for bringin’ them in, Deputy Logan.  This’ll win the town’s confidence and appreciation.  What do you think?”

Logan thought a moment.  “If you’re backin’ me up and gonna be here, too…” he hesitated.  “Okay.”

Heyes and Curry smiled in relief.

“I got one question, though.  Who are you?  Really?”

Heyes sighed.  “Logan, we’re Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones trying real hard to lead a good and decent life, just like you.”

“So, you’re not gonna tell me.”

“Nope!”  Sheriff Jones stood up and got three handcuffs off a hook.  “Let’s go get us some really bad guys.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“I’ll be by the back door.  Joshua, you stand by the stairs.  No one should see you in that dark corner and you can see everything.  Logan, walk in the front, easy as you can, and quietly let Gus know.  He’s got that rifle behind the bar and will help you.”

“What if someone asks where you two are?”

“I’m at the boarding house asleep and the sheriff took a ride to check on…?”  Heyes looked over to Curry.

“A complaint at a ranch?” the Kid offered.

Heyes nodded.  “That’ll work.”

“Give us five minutes to get in place and then go inside the saloon.”  Curry started to turn, but then clapped Logan’s shoulder.  “You’re gonna go from the town drunk to the town hero.  You can do this!”

Logan nodded.  “Don’t you worry none, Sheriff.  I can do this, especially with Gus and you two watching my back.”

Sheriff Jones nodded, then he and Deputy Smith disappeared down an alley.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Deputy Logan placed his pocket watch back in his vest pocket, took a deep breath, and walked into the Gold Nugget.  He noticed the shadows of Deputy Smith and Sheriff Jones near the back door, and the Carter brothers still sitting in the corner.

Gus finished pouring for another customer and came over when Logan quietly beckoned him.

“I got it on good authority that those men in the corner are wanted for murder.  Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith aren’t available, so I need you to back me up with your rifle,” Logan whispered.

Gus’ eyes widened.  “You’re arresting them all by yourself?”

“No, you’re gonna help me disarm and get these cuffs on.  Once that’s done, I can get them to jail.”

“Okay.”  Gus bent down and came up with his rifle in his hand.

Deputy Logan confidently walked over the corner table and pulled out his gun, holding it to the head of Darryl Carter.  “Carters, I’m arresting you for murder!  Unless you want this brother to get his head blown off, you'll all put your hardware on the table – NOW!”

Dave and Dan Carter looked up at the deputy in shock and then to Darryl, who gulped.

“Now what makes you think we’re the Carters?” Dan asked.

Several clicks of guns were heard in the saloon.

Darryl held his breath and then sighed when the gun at his head clicked.  “Think we better do as the deputy says.”  He slowly reached down and put his gun on the table.

Dan and Dave also complied, looking around at all the guns aimed at them.

Gus came closer with his rifle.  “Jack, get them guns for Deputy Logan while we got ‘em covered.”

A customer nodded and put the guns on a table further away.

“Jack, hold this gun here while I put cuffs on them,” Logan ordered.

“Sure thing, Deputy.”  The young man took the gun and kept it at Darryl Carter’s head while Logan put cuffs on all three brothers.

“Okay, now slowly stand and walk over against the wall.  Spread your legs.  Gus and Jack, keep me covered while I check ‘em for more hardware.”

Heyes and Curry spared a quick glance at each other and smiled.  Heyes hurried out the back while the attention was on the arrest.

When the search was over and with the Carters handcuffed, Deputy Logan breathed a sigh of relief.  “Thanks, Gus, I couldn’t have done it without you.  Can you help me get them to the jail, Jack?”

“Sure thing!”

“That was something, Deputy Logan!” Gus complimented his former customer.  “And you did it without the sheriff.”

“But I had help from everyone here.”  Logan started heading towards the door.  “I got a nice cozy cell for you boys until the marshal comes to pick you up.”

Deputy Logan paraded his prisoners down the center of the street.  Folks quickly got out of his way and stared.  Dave Carter tried to make a run for it, but several well-placed shots by his feet from an unknown source made him stop.

Jack opened the jail’s double door to let the deputy and his prisoners enter.  Several minutes later the Carter brothers were safely jailed and backed up to the bars so Logan could remove the cuffs.

“You behave yourselves and I won’t put the cuffs back on.”  Deputy Logan hung the cuffs and key on hooks on the other side of the room.  “Thanks for your help, Jack.”

“Any time, Deputy Logan.”  Jack looked at the lawman with admiration in his eyes as he left.

Logan sighed and dropped into the desk chair.  “I really did it!”

The Carter brothers sat dejectedly on the cots.

“That was definitely another wrong train you got us on, Dan,” Darryl lamented.

A light rap at the window made Logan stand and go to the door.  Sheriff Jones motioned him outside and around into the alley where Deputy Smith stood.

“That was brilliant putting a gun to one of their heads.”  Heyes clapped his arm about Logan.

“You did an amazing job, Deputy!  I knew you could do it!” Curry praised his employee.

Logan beamed.  “My training as a deputy before all came back when I walked into the saloon.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith walked around the town making their rounds.

“Sheriff, you should have seen Deputy Logan arrest those dangerous men!”
“Logan did a great job arresting those men!’
“He did it by himself, without you two!”
“Who would have though Loco Logan was would become such a great deputy!”
“He’s a hero, Deputy Jones!”

“Yep, best decision I made was to hire Deputy Logan,” boasted Milton Grove, the honorary mayor.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes walked onto the boardwalk outside the jail and threw a piece of paper on Curry’s lap.  “Guess who the area’s marshal is?”

Kid Curry winced.  “Someone we know.”

“Yep, Marshal Dillon.”

Curry closed his eyes.  “When’s he arrive?”

“Says in about four days.”

“Well, we’ll just have to stay outta sight.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Hey, Dave.”  Darryl kicked his brother.  “The deputy’s sleepin’.  Bet if we make lots of noise so he couldn’t sleep, he’d be makin’ errors and we could escape.”

“Sounds like a plan.  Did you hear, Dan?”

“Of course.  It’s not like we’re not just a few feet away in this cell.”  Dan picked up a metal mug.  “Ready?”

The two brothers nodded and the three clanged on the bars and started shouting.

“I’d stop, if I were you,” came a deep voice from the covered cell.

“How you gonna stop us?”

A gun hammer clicked.  “Wanted dead or alive.  Your choice.”

“Who are you, mister?”

“Someone helpin’ the deputy there.  Now sit down and be quiet while he sleeps.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Marshal Dillon and his deputy rode into town on the prison wagon and tied it in front of the jail early in the morning.

Sheriff Jones, on his way back from his rounds, quickly ducked into an alley, then hurried to the back door of the jail and into the covered cell to wake Heyes.

The Kid put a hand on his sleeping partner and motioned him to be quiet when he woke.  “Dillon’s here,” he whispered.

Marshal Dillon stretched his back and then opened the jail’s main door.

Deputy Logan quickly went for his gun.  “May I help you?”

The marshal nodded with approval.  “I’m Marshal Dillon and I'm here to relieve you of some prisoners.”

“May I see some identification to prove that you are who you say you are?”

The marshal pulled a piece of paper from his pocket and put it on the desk.  “Very good training, Deputy.  And you are?”

“Deputy Logan, sir.”  He checked the paper and visibly relaxed.  “Glad you’re here, Marshal.  I’ll be really glad to have them outta here.”

The marshal went over the cell where Dave, Dan, and Darryl Carter stood in a row with their hands gripping the bars.  “Thought I’d never get you three.  Will be my pleasure to take them to Denver for trial.”  The marshal looked around the room.  “Is the sheriff around?”

“We ain’t never seen a sheriff,” Dan snorted.  “Just this here deputy.”

“Sheriff Jones was called outta town, Marshal Dillon,” Logan explained.  “Will you be staying the night?”

“No, we slept pretty good in Cooperstown.  Plenty of daylight left.  I have some papers for you to sign, since the sheriff isn’t available, and I’ll take them off your hands.”  Dillon pulled some paperwork out of a pocket.

Logan signed the papers and returned them.

“How’d you know they were the Carters?  Few people know what they look like.”

“They were pointed out to me, sir, so I quickly arrested them.”

“Mighty fine job, Deputy!” the marshal praised him as he returned the paperwork to his pocket.  “Deputy Scott, can you help me?  Carters, turn around and back up so we can get chains on you.”

While Scott cuffed the Carters, Dillon nodded his head towards the covered cell.  “What’s with the blanket around the cell?”

“Oh, Deputy Smith or I sleep in there, especially with the Carters in the jail.”

“Good idea.”  The marshal held out his hand.  “The key?”

“Oh, here you go.”  Logan retrieved it from the hook and opened the cell door.

Minutes later, the Carter brothers, Marshal Dillon, and Deputy Scott were rolling out of Russell Gulch.

“They’re gone—all of ‘em.”  Logan sunk into a chair and breathed a sigh of relief.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith came out from behind the blanket.

“Logan, you did a great job!” the sheriff exclaimed.

“You sure did!” the deputy agreed.

“This calls for a drink – I’m buyin’!”  Grinning, Curry headed towards the door, but stopped short when his partner put a hand on his arm.

“Hey Thaddeus, you’ve been thinking a bit too much lately about the Carters that you might’ve forgotten something this time.”

Curry looked puzzled for a second and then it hit him.  “Oh… drink.”

“A sarsaparilla sounds perfect!”  Deputy Logan stood up, put his hat on, and walked out of the office.  Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith exchanged a shrug and then followed behind.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones sighed as he put the stack of papers together and tapped them on the desk to straighten the pile.  “Done!”

Deputy Smith looked up from the book he was reading.  “So soon?”

“That’s not funny, Heyes.”  He got up and poured himself a cup of coffee.  “You want some?”

“Sure.”  Heyes began reading again.

Curry went over to the cot with the two full cups.  “Think you can put that book down for a few minutes and talk?”

Heyes looked up.  “Oh, sure.”  He glanced back down at the book.

“Heyes!”

“I’m finishing a paragraph.  Sheesh!”  He marked his page, sat up and took the proffered coffee.  “What’d you wanna talk about?”

“I think we should talk about what’s next.  We’ve been here about a month.”

“Did you talk to the mayor about when the replacement is coming?”

“Yeah.  I think we’re doin’ such a good job that they’re not in no hurry for anyone else to come.”

Heyes smiled.  “I had a feeling you’d be a good sheriff.”

Curry made a face.  “You sure complained about me bein’ sheriff at the beginnin’.”

“I was just teasing you, Kid.”

Curry shook his head.  “I don’t think so.  The fact is, though, that we’ve been dang lucky no one knows who we are yet.  How long will it hold out?”

“Lucky?  I don’t think you having to kill Homer Wilson was lucky.  And we came close with the Carter boys seeing us.”  

“Don’t forget Marshal Dillon.”

Heyes raked his fingers through his hair.  “I see what you mean.  It’s time to move on.”

The Kid nodded.  “But we can’t just leave.  Have to make sure there’s a replacement for us.  Feel like we kinda owe it to the town.”

“Yeah, I’ve gotten kinda attached to it myself.”

“Almost feels like home, don’t it?”

“We can’t be thinking like this; we’ll get careless and caught.  You’re right; we have to come up with a plan.”  Heyes took a sip of coffee.  “What about Logan?”

“I think Logan would be good as sheriff, but would the town think so?  Some still see him as the drunk he was.”

“What if Logan got married?  That’d make him look more respectful.  And a good woman can make sure he doesn’t go back to his old ways.”

Curry smiled.  “How about widow Tucker?  They’re about the same age.”

“True.  And those kids need a father.”

“They sure do!  It was good of the widow to take them in.”

“Now, how to get them together…”  Heyes began to pace as his brain formulated a plan.  Suddenly, he stopped and snapped his fingers.  “I've got it!  How about you send Logan over to get me this afternoon.  I’ll take my time going downstairs, giving them an opportunity to talk.”  

“And you can see if there’s any attraction between ‘em.”

Heyes nodded.  “That's the plan, partner.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Last edited by royannahuggins on Fri 04 Mar 2022, 10:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski
Post Sun 27 Feb 2022, 1:08 am by royannahuggins
Later in the afternoon, Deputy Logan came into the office.  “Did my rounds and all’s pretty quiet.”

Sheriff Curry stood up and stretched.  “That’s how I like it.  Hey, Logan, would you mind goin’ over to the boardin’ house and gettin’ Joshua?”

“Sure thing.”

Logan walked over to the Tucker Boarding House and knocked on the screen.

The widow came to the door and smiled.  “Why Deputy Logan, how can I help you?”

He removed his hat and returned the smile.  “Ma’am, the sheriff would like Deputy Smith to come to the office.”

“Come in, Deputy, and I’ll get him.”  She opened the screen and stepped to the side.

Logan stepped in and waited in the hall while she went upstairs.

A few minutes later, she appeared.  “He’ll be a few minutes.  Can I get you something to drink?  Oh, I just took cookies out of the oven.  How about one of those?”

“Yes, ma’am.  They sure do smell good.”

“I’ll get a plate of them for you to take back to the office.”  A moment later she returned.  “Try one.”

He bit into the proffered cookie.  “Ma’am, these are delicious!  I can’t remember the last time I had one this good.”

“Come in and sit for a few minutes while we wait for Mr. Smith.”  Mrs. Tucker led the way into the parlor and sat down.

Logan followed and took a seat near the door.  “Thank you, ma’am.”

“Where are you from, Deputy?” she asked.

“From Frankford, a small town south of Hannibal, Missouri.”

“I’ve heard of Hannibal.  I’m from Springfield, Illinois.”  

“That’s where Abraham Lincoln was from.”

“Yes, such a shame he was killed.  As a child, I went to the funeral.”

“How did you come to Russell Gulch, if you don’t mind me asking.”  Logan took another cookie.

“Not at all.  My husband was sure we’d find our future in the West, so we came this way as newlyweds all full of hopes and dreams.  Mr. Tucker died when an unseasonable blizzard left him unprepared.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, ma’am.”

“Thank you.  Fortunately, he found enough gold for me to build this boarding house, which has kept me busy and well enough off that I can live comfortably, even if it is a bit lonely at times.”  Mrs. Tucker rocked in her chair.  “How about you?  How did you end up here?”

“Gold, like most folks, I suspect.  Actually, I found a good amount in those hills.”

“And you’ve never found the right woman to settle down with?”

“No, yes…Well, I thought I did.  I left her alone in Frankford and took off to find our fortune.  While I was busy finding gold, she found another man.”

“Oh, dear.”

“About broke my heart, Miss Edna Lou did.”

Heyes slowly walked down the stairs.  “Sorry about the wait, Logan.  What’s Thaddeus want?”

Logan stood and went to the door.  “He didn’t say.  Just asked me to get you.”  He turned to the widow and tipped his hat to her.  “Thank you, ma’am, for the plate of cookies.  Appreciate it!”

Mrs. Tucker stood.  “Any time.  Mr. Smith, will you or Mr. Jones be here for dinner tonight?”

“You can count on one of us.  We'll probably have to take a plate of food to the office for the other.”

“That won’t be a problem; I can fix you up a plate.  We’re having pork chops and applesauce.”

Logan’s face lit up like fireworks on the fourth of July.  “Pork chops and applesauce.  I haven’t had that since I was home in Missouri.”

“Would you like to come to dinner, Deputy Logan?  I usually have extras.”

“Oh, I couldn’t…”

Heyes smiled.  “Sure, you could!  Mrs. Tucker is an excellent cook.”

“Well, if the sheriff don’t need me...”

“I’m sure we can manage without you during dinner.”  Heyes put on his hat.

“Well, that settles it.”  Mrs. Tucker nodded.  “Dinner will be at 5:00, Deputy.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Heyes opened the door.  “Let’s go see what Thaddeus wants.”

When they arrived at the jail, Sheriff Jones looked up and raised a brow.  “Took you longer than I thought.”

“That was my fault.”  Heyes smiled.  “Oh, the boarding house is having pork chops and applesauce for dinner tonight.  Logan got himself an invitation.”

“Unless you need me,” Logan said as he sat down in one of two chairs placed in front of the desk.

“No, you deserve a good, cooked meal once in a while.”  The Kid’s smile turned serious.  “Have a seat, Joshua.  There’s been a complaint…”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

After dinner, the Kid brought dinner to Heyes at the office.

“How’d it go?”  Heyes uncovered the plate and began eating.

“Couldn’t have gone better.”  Curry sat down.  “Logan was talkin’ to the kids a lot and I saw Mrs. Tucker watchin’ him.  I think we have them noticin’ each other a lot more.”

“Good.  Good.”  Heyes took a drink of water.  “Don’t have time for a long romance.  Have to come up with something.”

“I think somethin’ with the kids should do the trick.”

“Or, treat them to some alone time to get to know each other better.”

“You think about it more while I go back and get some sleep.”  The Kid stood.  “You about done?”

Heyes took the last bite of food.  “Yep.  You can take this plate back and the one that had the cookies.”

“Have a nice night, Heyes.”

“You, too.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next day, Deputy Logan was doing his rounds through town.  Across the street he noticed Mrs. Tucker and the two children coming out of a store, her hands loaded high with packages.  He waved.

“There’s Deputy Logan!”  Tommy pointed and began running towards him.

“Tommy!”  Mrs. Tucker screamed.

A wagon came accelerating quickly down the road.

“Tommy!”  Logan ran in front of the wagon and lifted the boy up in his arms, mere feet from the horses and wagon wheel.

The driver slowed and looked apologetic.  “Sorry, Deputy!”

“You should be!  Take it slower when going through town.”

Logan carried the shaken boy back to his mother and set him down.  “Gotta watch where you're going, Tommy.  Wagons don’t think about looking out for children in a mining town.”

“Yes, sir.”  Tommy hung his head.

“I don’t know how to thank you.”  Mrs. Tucker shifted the packages in her arms.

The deputy pulled out two pieces of hard candy from his pocket and looked at Mrs. Tucker.  “May I?”

She smiled.  “Yes, Deputy, you may.”  

“Tommy, if you give me a smile, I’ll give you a peppermint.  You too, Tillie.”

Both children smiled and held out their hands for the candy.”

“What do you say?” prompted Mrs. Tucker.

“Thank you,” the siblings said in unison before popping the peppermint into their mouths.

“Mrs. Tucker, may I assist you in taking those packages back to the boarding house?”  Logan reached out and took most of the supplies in his arms.

“Why, thank you, Deputy.”

Kid Curry grinned and stepped back into his office.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes yawned as he came down the boarding house stairs.  When he was about halfway down, he heard voices and children's laughter outside and then the front door opened.

“Deputy Smith, guess what?  Deputy Logan saved my life!” Tommy exclaimed as they walked into the house.  “You should’ve seen him.”

Heyes sat on the second stair, so he was at the child’s level.  “He did?  What happened?”

“He ran out in front of a wagon and got me before the horses did!”

“Oh, really?”

Tommy nodded his head.  “He was so brave!”

“It sounds like it.”  Heyes looked up and caught the deputy's eye.  “What exactly happened?”

“Oh, Tommy saw me across the street and ran over to me without seeing a wagon.”  Logan shrugged and made light of the incident.  “I just got him and took him back to Mrs. Tucker.”

“Yes, but not before running in front of the wagon and grabbing Tommy before the horses ran him over.”  Mrs. Tucker beamed at the deputy.  “You can put those things down on the table.”

Logan put all the packages down and removed his hat.  “Well, if that’ll be all, I s'pose I'd better be getting back to the sheriff's office.”

“Please do say you’ll come for dinner again, Deputy.  It’s the least I can do after you saved Tommy and carried all my things.”

“I’d be honored to do so, ma’am.”

“And please call me Hattie.”

“Only if you call me Logan.”

“Logan?”

“Yes, Hattie.  My Christian name is Horatio,” Logan said quietly.  “I was named after a grandfather.”

“Oh.”  Hattie thought a moment.  “And your middle name?”

“My middle name?  Well, that would be Edward.”  

Hattie cocked her head to the side.  “Have you ever considered going by your middle name of Edward or Ed instead of your first name?”  

Logan grinned.  “No, but I think that’s an excellent idea!  Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Ed.  Dinner will be at 5:00 again.”

Heyes and Logan left the boarding house.

“Joshua, do you think the sheriff would mind if I left work a little earlier and got myself cleaned up for dinner?”

“I’m sure Thaddeus wouldn’t mind.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes walked into the office and threw his hat on the desk before sitting down.  “Did you hear what happened?”

“I saw what happened!  Tommy about got ran over, but Logan saved him.  Saw him carryin’ Mrs. Tucker’s packages, too.”

“That’s not all.  They’re using first names now.”

“You’re kiddin’!  He wants to be known as Horatio?”

“Actually, Mrs. Tucker, Hattie, heard his Christian name and asked what his middle name was.”

Kid Curry made a face.  “Not worse than Horatio, is it?”

“Nope.  It’s Edward, so she's calling him Ed.”

The Kid smiled.  “That’s great!  What Tommy did is really bringin’ them together.”

“It sure is.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry came back to the boarding house late.  On the porch swing sat Hattie and Ed drinking tea and talking.

“Mr. Jones, you’re finally home.  Let me get your dinner.”  She started to get to her feet.

The Kid waved her back.  “You stay and enjoy the nice evenin’.  I can go into the kitchen and get dinner for me and Joshua.”  He walked into the house, glanced back out on the porch, and grinned.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones walked into the mortician’s office, a bell ringing when he opened the door.

“I’ll be right there,” came a voice from the back.

“No hurry.”

The mortician wiped unknown fluids from his hands onto an apron.  “Sheriff Jones, I’d shake hands, but…”

“No need to explain, Mayor Grove, and I appreciate it that you don’t.”

“What can I help you with?  Did you bring me another new client?”

“No.  I was just wonderin’ about a replacement for sheriff.”

“Replacement?  The town merchants are quite happy with you and Deputy Smith.”

“What about Deputy Logan?”  the Kid asked.

“We’re quite pleased how Logan appears to have turned his life around.”

“Enough to consider him for sheriff?”

“Well, I’m not so sure about that.  I mean… What if he falls off and starts drinking again?”

“What if he was to settle down and have a family?  That’d help keep him from drinkin’ again.”

“True.  True.”  Milton Grove leaned back against the wall.  “I suppose we’d have to reconsider if he was to settle down.  Are you and Deputy Smith planning on leaving?”

“Well, we were on our way to Denver to visit some friends when we came through here.  We kinda like travelin’ around and seein’ the West.”

“Oh,” Grove said deflated.  “What if we offered you a raise?  You and Smith?”

Curry sighed.  “We’ll have to talk about it.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A young teen hurried into the jail.  “A telegram for you, Sheriff.”  He handed a piece of paper to the Kid.

Heyes looked up from his book.  “What’s it about?”

“Marshal Dillon is visitin’ in three weeks,” the teen said.

The sheriff scowled.  “You shouldn’t be tellin’ others what’s in a telegram.  What if it was confidential?”

The teen hung his head.  “Sorry, Sheriff.”

The Kid handed him a nickel and said in a friendlier tone, “Now get outta here.”

“Thanks, Sheriff!”  The teen pocketed the coin and left.

Heyes stood.  “Does it say why he’s coming?”

“Nope.”

“It doesn't really matter.  We have to be gone by then.  Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith can’t be away a second time.”

“Yep.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

It was a little over a week later that Logan sat on a blanket by a creek with a picnic lunch spread before him.  Hattie sat near him, putting the dishes away.

Ed took a deep breath.  “Hattie?”

“Yes, Ed?”

“I know we haven’t known each other long, but it seems like we’ve known each other a lifetime.”

“I know what you mean.”

“I’m just a deputy, but I do have quite a bit put away.  I guess what I’m asking is… Hattie, would you consider marrying me?”

Hattie blushed.  “Oh Ed, I would love to, but…”

Logan’s face fell.

“…There are the children.  It’s not just me.  You’d be getting a family.”

Logan grinned.  “I’ve fallen in love with you, Hattie Tucker, and I would love to be a father to Tommy and Tillie.”

“You would?”

“I would!”

“Oh, Ed, I love you!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Ed and Hattie walked into the office, hand in hand.  Logan cleared his throat when the sheriff didn’t look up from his paperwork and the deputy continued reading.  “Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith?”

They both looked up and grinned.

“We just wanted you to be the first to hear that Hattie and I are getting married.”

The two lawmen stood up.

“That’s great, Logan!  Congratulations!”  Sheriff Jones came from around his desk and shook his deputy’s hand.

“That’s the best news I’ve heard in a long time!  Congratulations!”  Deputy Smith shook Logan’s hand.  “When is the big day?”

“In about two weeks.”  

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones walked into the office and sat behind his desk.  “Mornin’, Joshua.”

Deputy Smith paced in the office.  “Where is he?”

“He’ll be here any moment.  Why don’t you pour three cups of coffee and sit down?”  Curry tapped the last few pieces of paper on the desk to straighten them.  “I sure won’t miss doin’ all this paperwork.”

Heyes handed Curry a cup of coffee, poured two more, and sat down.

Deputy Logan opened the door and entered the office.  “Morning.  Sorry I'm a few minutes late.  Did I miss something?”

“No, have a seat.  Me and Joshua want to have a talk with you.”

“Okay.”  Logan sat down.  “Did I do something wrong?”

“No.  Why are you askin’?”  The Kid took a sip of coffee.

Logan looked at Smith and Jones.  “Just seems like something's going on.”

“We just wanna have a talk with you about the future,” Heyes assured him.  “You see, Logan…”  Heyes hesitated and looked over at his partner.  When Curry nodded, he continued, “Me and Thaddeus were on our way to Denver when we came through Russell Gulch seven weeks ago.”

“Seven weeks!?  A lot sure did happen!” Logan exclaimed.

“It sure did,” the Kid agreed.

“Anyway, me and Thaddeus were talking, and we’ve decided to move on.”

“On account that you’re still waiting for that second chance?” Logan asked tentatively.

“Yep.”  Curry nodded.  “We think we should leave before someone recognizes us and it causes a scene.”

“Like the marshal or the Carter brothers.”

“Or other outlaws we may have met on the trail,” Heyes continued.

“If you’re leaving Russell Gulch, who’ll be the sheriff then?”

“Well, I’ve already talked to Mayor Grove about makin’ you the sheriff.”

“Me?  The sheriff?  I dunno.  Shoot, some folks still call me Loco Logan.  They’ll always see me as the town drunk.”

“But you’re not that man anymore.”  Heyes crossed a leg over his knee.  “You haven’t had a drink since you became deputy, right?”

“Right – cross my heart!”  Logan made a x-mark across his chest.  “What’d Mayor Grove say?”

“Well, he says the town may consider you for a sheriff position if you were to settle down.”  Sheriff Jones took a sip of coffee.

Logan smiled and blushed.  “Well, I'm doing that next week to the purtiest gal in town.”  He quickly frowned.  “You aren’t leaving before the wedding, are you?  You can’t!”

“Don't worry, we’re plannin’ to stay for the weddin’,” the Kid assured him.  “We wouldn’t miss it for anything.  Besides, I want to start trainin’ you on bein’ a sheriff.”

“One thing, Logan, and it’s important.”  Heyes leaned forward to get his attention.  “You can’t mention this to anyone, not even Mrs. Tucker.  Me and Thaddeus want to let folks know at the proper time.”

“Oh, sure.  No one will hear it from me, including Hattie.”

“Appreciate it.”  Heyes stood up.  “Think I’ll go get some breakfast and take a nap.  Let me know if you need me.”

“I will.”  Curry turned his attention to Logan as Heyes left.  “First thing to learn about is the paperwork…”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Logan were making their rounds in town when they passed McGregor's Mercantile.

Logan hesitated.  “Sheriff, mind if we stop in here?”

“No.  You need something?”

“Yeah, a pen and some paper… lots of paper to take notes on all you’re telling me.”

Curry chuckled.  “Sure.  I’ll wait out here while you get your supplies.  I don’t wanna hear ol’ Earl complainin’ when it’s such a nice day.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Make sure you keep the guns cleaned, even if you don’t use ‘em, at least once a week.  A clean gun will be more accurate.”

Logan furiously scribbled on a piece of paper.

Kid Curry looked over his shoulder.  “Can you read that?”

“What?”  Logan turned and appeared confused.

“Your writin’; can you read it?  Looks like Joshua’s chicken scratch.”

“Of course, I can read my own writing.”  Logan turned and read back what he wrote.

“Just checkin’.”  Curry smiled.  “Now remember to never wear your gun when goin’ near the cells…

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes walked into the office in the late afternoon.

“The keys to the cells stay on this hook so anyone in jail can’t get them.”

Logan quickly wrote it down.

“Unless you have some prisoners and suspect their gang may bust them outta jail, then you keep the cell keys in the safe.”

“That’s right, Joshua.  Did you get that written down, Logan?”

“Cell keys in safe… Yep, I got it.”  Logan sighed.  “There sure is a lot more to being a sheriff than it looks.”

“Gotta keep one step ahead of the bad guys.”  Heyes sat down.

Logan wrote more.

“Did you write that down, too?” Heyes asked.

“Yep!  Stay one step ahead of bad guys,” the deputy repeated.”

Deputy Smith shook his head.  “Oh, before I forget, Mrs. Tucker said dinner is at 6:00.”

“Logan, why don’t you take a break from writin’ and go do your rounds?”

“Sure thing!”  He shook his hand and grabbed his hat.  “It’ll be good to get out and walk around.  My hand has a cramp from taking all those notes.”

Kid Curry sat behind the desk and Heyes leaned against the edge.

“How’s he doing?”

The Kid nodded.  “Good.”

“Sounds like he’s getting lessons from some of the best on how not to let prisoners escape.”

“He sure is!  Would hate to be a prisoner in his jail.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones walked over to the newcomer, tethering his horse to a hitching post.

“Welcome to Russell Gulch, Judge Stewart.”

“Sheriff Jones, right?”

“Yes sir.  We’ll be holdin’ court in the Gold Nugget.  Just a few cases for you to hear today.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Judge Stewart pounded his gavel on the saloon bar.  “Next case!”

Deputy Smith stood up.  “Your honor, Deputy Logan and Hattie Tucker are getting married in a few days.

“Congratulations.”

Logan stood and nodded.  “Thank you.”

“And…?”

“Well, sir,” Heyes continued, “they would like to adopt Tillie and Tommy Barton.”

“What happened to their parents?”

“A tragic wagon accident coming over the mountains.  They were the only survivors.”

“I see.”  The judge pondered.  “Are there living relatives?  Were they contacted?”

“Yes, your honor.  Their aunt, Mrs. Virginia Stanton of Louisville, Kentucky, is unable to care for them.”  Heyes pulled out a piece of paper from his vest pocket and handed it to the judge.  “Here is the telegram.”

“What about the uncle mentioned in here?”

“According to the family Bible, he passed away before they started the trip.”

“Deputy Logan and Mrs. Tucker, are you both in agreement about raising these two children as your own?  You’ll love them and teach them right from wrong?”

Ed and Hattie stood up, holding hands.  “We will, your honor.”

“Tillie and Tommy, come here please.”

The two children hesitantly walked up to the judge, who kneeled to be at their level.

“Sorry to hear about your family.  Do you want these two people standing over there to be your new parents?  Will you love and respect them, like you did your pa and ma?”

Tillie and Tommy nodded solemnly at each question.  “Yes, sir!”

“Okay, you can go sit down again.”  The judge pondered some more.  “Are you definitely getting married in a few days?”

Ed and Hattie looked at each other and smiled.  “Definitely!”

“Well then, I’m going to put down on the official papers that Deputy and Hattie Logan are adopting Tillie and Tommy Barton and they will become Tillie and Tommy Logan.  What are all of your legal names for the record?”

“I’m Harriet Tucker, and these are Matilda and Thomas Barton.”

“And I’m Horatio Edward Logan, but I’m going by my middle name Ed.”  The deputy took Hattie’s hand and squeezed it.

Judge Stewart wrote down the names on a piece of paper then looked up and smiled.  “By the time the paperwork reaches the recorder, you’ll all be Logans.  One big, happy family.”

Ed, Hattie, Tillie, and Tommy all hugged each other.

“Thank you, your honor!” Heyes said, with a dimpled smile.  “You've made a lot of folks very happy!”

“You’re welcome.”  Judge Stewart wiped a tear away.  “This is one of my favorite parts of the job.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A few days later, Edward Logan and Hattie Tucker stood in front of the reverend, along with Tillie, Tommy, Sheriff Jones, and Deputy Smith.

"I, Horatio Edward Logan, take thee, Harriet Ann Tucker, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith."

"I, Harriet Ann Tucker, take thee, Horatio Edward Logan, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith."

“I now pronounce you husband and wife.  What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.”

Ed chastely kissed his wife on the cheek and then gathered his new family into a hug.

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry smiled at each other.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A few days later, Sheriff Jones was greeting the townsfolk as he made his rounds.  He poked his head into the Gold Nugget Saloon.  “Howdy, Gus!”

“Hey, hi Sheriff!  Heard Loco Logan got himself married and a new family.”

“He sure did.  No more Loco Logan, though… It’s Deputy Logan.  He definitely proved himself when given a second chance.”

“He sure has!  Have a good day.”

“You, too, Gus!”

Sheriff Jones walked over to the mercantile where McGregor was sweeping the boardwalk.  “Good day, Earl.”

“And a good day to you, too, Sheriff!”

The sheriff continued down the street and looked down by his office at the same time Marshal Dillon was looking up the street.

“Curry, is that you?”  The marshal shouted as he drew his gun and began to run.

The Kid hurried through the back streets to the Tucker Boarding House and took the stairs two at a time.  He threw open the door and quickly shut it.

“Time to go, Heyes!”  He threw his clothes at him, grabbed saddle bags and began filling them.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Tellin10

Heyes quickly began getting dressed.  “What’s going on?”

“Dillon is back in town…”

“Thought he was coming in three weeks?”

“I don't know!  Maybe he's like Kyle and can't keep track of time – whatever reason, he's in town right now and he saw me!”

Heyes stomped his feet into his boots.  “What?  Are you sure?”

“Of course, I’m sure!”

“Did he follow you here?”

“Think I gave him the slip.”  The Kid latched his bags closed.

Knock…Knock…

Curry pulled out his gun and stood by the door.  “Who is it?”

“Logan.  What’s going on?  I saw you rushing up the stairs.”

The Kid opened the door and pulled him in.  “Marshal Dillon is in town.  Time for me and Joshua to leave.”  

“You sure?”

“Positive!”  Curry removed the sheriff badge and handed it to Logan.  “You’re the temporary sheriff now.  Go to the office and see what he wants.”

“No chance you can stay for dinner and say good-bye?”

“No!  You'll have to give Hattie and the kids a kiss good-bye for us.”  Heyes finished throwing his belongings in the saddle bags.  “Thank goodness we got stocked up for the trail the other day.”

“Ready?”  Curry looked at his partner.

Heyes nodded.  “Logan, you’re gonna make a great sheriff!  You have a wonderful family.  Be safe and don’t be heroic, you hear?”

“Sure, Joshua.”

“Logan, find Dillon, take him back to the office, and keep him busy.  We have to get our horses from the livery.”

“Okay.  Not gonna tell me who you are, are you?”

“Nope.”

“Whoever you are, you’re two pretty good men, even if you must be wanted by the law.  It’s been a pleasure getting to know you.”

Curry nodded.  “Been a pleasure meetin’ you, too.  Everyone in Russell Gulch.”

Logan shook hands with his former boss and fellow deputy and hurried towards the office.

Heyes and the Kid grabbed their things and quickly went down the stairs.  Curry handed his bedroll to his partner so he could carry his gun.  They looked out into the street and hurried across into an alley.

Taking the paths between the buildings, they made their way to the main street with the livery on the other side and the sheriff’s office a block away on the same side of the street they were on.  Staying close to the wall of the saloon, Curry poked his head out and looked around.  “All clear!”

The Kid and Heyes ran across the street and into the livery.  Curry turned and checked to make sure they weren’t seen by Dillon, who he now saw talking to Logan by the office door.

The liveryman came out of the back area.  “Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith, are you goin’ somewhere?  You should’ve told me so I could’ve got your horses saddled.”

“Hi Bart.  There’s an emergency over by the old mining area again.  Me and the sheriff are gonna check it out.”  Heyes dropped their belongings and began saddling his horse.

“Think you’ll need the wagon?”  Bart started helping with the blanket and saddle.

“No, no, not this time.”  Heyes completed putting on the halter.  “You can help the sheriff while I finish up here.”

Kid Curry was throwing the saddle onto the back of his horse while Bart worked on the halter.  “Appreciate all your help, Bart.”

“Oh, no trouble at all.”

Heyes and Curry tied their gear on and mounted up.

“See you when you get back, Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith!”

“Bye, Bart!”  Curry reined his horse towards the back of the barn.

“Sure thing.”

Curry led the way and the two former lawmen galloped out of town heading south.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Deputy, I tell you, I saw Kid Curry down by the mercantile!  He jumped into an alley, and I lost him!”

“Kid Curry here in Russell Gulch?”  Logan looked up and down the streets.  “Are you sure?”

“Yes!”  Dillon glanced at Logan and fingered the badge.  “Sheriff?  When did you become sheriff?  What happened to the other guy?”

“Marshal, that’s a long story.  Wanna come in and hear it?”

“Not with Curry, and possibly Heyes, in the area.  I bet they already left town.”  Dillon mounted his horse.  “I’ll be back.”

“Want me to come with you?”

“Do you have backup?”

“Nope.”

“Then you better stay.  Do your rounds and make sure no one looking like those two notorious outlaws are still here.”

“Yes, sir!”

Dillon hurried to the livery.  “Have you seen two men leaving?”

“Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith just left.”

“Which direction did they go?”  The marshal mounted his horse.

“There’s an emergency in the old minin’ area; they’re headin’ there now.”

“Which direction?”

Bart pointed.  “North.  Just a few miles.  Be careful, Marshal.  There’s a lot of tunnels and holes in that area.  Why, two boys fell into one…”

Marshal Dillon spurred his horse on.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry leaned against their saddles, sipping coffee while watching the fire.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski Pic_6_13

“Good thinkin’ to tell Bart we went to the old minin’ area.  I’m sure he mentioned it to Marshal Dillon.  It was in the direct opposite direction, and he would have to be careful with the holes and tunnels around there.”  Curry took a bite of jerky and chewed it.

Heyes crossed his ankles.  “Yeah, we don’t want a lawman good as him on our trail.  We were lucky to get out of town as quickly as we did.”

“I’m gonna miss Russell Gulch,” the Kid said absently.  “It was a nice place to spend some time in.”

“Me, too,” Heyes agreed.  “We met some really good folks there.”

“It's sure great how things worked out for everyone, ain't it?  Logan got a wife and kids; Hattie got a husband and gets to be a ma; and the kids got a ma and pa.  And, instead of bein' the town drunk, Logan gets to be a father and he has the whole town's respect.  He worked real hard and earned it.  Me and you made the right choice makin' him sheriff; he’ll do good.”

“He sure will.”  Heyes glanced sideways to his partner.  “You know, when we get amnesty, you’d make a good sheriff, just like Lom.”

Kid Curry smiled.  “Heyes, next time I’ll be the deputy and you can be the sheriff; you don’t mind doin’ all that paperwork.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Deputy Logan entered the sheriff’s office and sat down behind the desk.  He pulled at the drawer, which became stuck in a half-opened position.  Reaching his arm deep inside, he removed some crumpled papers from way in the back.  He smoothed the offending papers and read aloud:  

“Wanted:  Kid Curry

Wanted:  Hannibal Heyes”

Logan laughed.  “Well, I’ll be… Kid Curry was in town!  And it's a sure bet that Hannibal Heyes was too!”

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Penski’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)
Penski
Post Sat 09 Apr 2022, 10:39 am by Penski
I was sad when Sheriff Jones' and Deputy Smith's jobs had to so quick end. This was a fun tale to write thinking of what adventures (and trouble) are two outlaws turned lawmen would experience. Hope you enjoy!
Post Sat 09 Apr 2022, 1:59 pm by Kathy Knudsen
This story was wonderful! Exciting, entertaining, and great characters. Loved that the boys outsmarted Marshal Dillon and Logan finding the crumpled up wanted posters was a great touch!
Post Sat 09 Apr 2022, 2:07 pm by Uk_rachel74
Just perfect! Fun, exciting and bang on character-loved it!

Penski likes this post

Post Sat 09 Apr 2022, 10:36 pm by nm131
Great finish to your VS story. it had a little bit of everything - humor, action, memorable ocs, and even a little bit of romance. Pretty clever how the partners handled not being recognized by the Carters and Marshall Dillon and then giving the marshal the slip. clap goodjob
Post Sun 10 Apr 2022, 12:11 am by calliecole
clap goodjob Great story, loved that the boys were able to stay in one place for so long, they seemed to enjoy getting to know some of the people. Glad Logan was able to get his life back and then get a family as well. Also glad Heyes and the Kid weren't followed by Marshall Dillon, he just might have been the one who caught them.
Post Sun 10 Apr 2022, 9:32 pm by kldrew
Wonderful story! It had action, suspense, humor and romance. Loved seeing our boys as lawmen and able stay in one place for a while. The plan they came up with to outsmart the outlaws and stay out of sight was great!
Post Wed 13 Apr 2022, 3:38 am by Nightwalker
Lovely story. I wish the boys just could have stayed there, keeping a low profile and live a - mostly - honest life. I hope they will return there one day, meet old friends, and settle down one day.

Penski likes this post

Post Sat 16 Apr 2022, 9:10 am by Dan Ker
I like that the different relationship between Heyes and Curry manifests itself more and more during the story.
Heyes' behavior is on one hand surprising, and in the other hand comprehensible. It reveals how much he can adjust his person to altered but necessary circumstances, visible in him
●biding his time
●holding his own personality back
●waiting for example for Curry to talk about the duration of their stay in town first
●his ability to give up responsibility
Alltogether, he seems to reside himself to the fact he is only the second one... Who would have thought he is able to accomplish that!

A good example for their shifted relationship is the short scene in which Kid says,
"Have a seat, Joshua. There's, been a complaint..." Kid definerely grows into his role, refreshing how serious he takes his work.
Sometimes Heyes' leader instincts are still shining through when he tries to speak up first, but he manages to rein himself in.
Great small scene the moment the small little devil in him causes him to get back at Kid replying to Kid's question, "You wanna be sheriff?" "Nope, you're doing a fine job." BTW, well done reference to the pilot... For a short, mischievous moment Heyes wants his partner to face the music - but, like in every even-balanced partnership, if the situation requests, he is right at his side again.

With the imminent danger flaring up, I love the description of a pacing Heyes, who impresses by asking direct, precise questions to figure out what to do next.
It always takes the two of them backing each other up..and this way, Penski manages to return back to the roots of ASJ,
I love Heyes' outburst reprimanding Curry he forgot about his partner. A good reminder, followed by another shifting of their relationship.

Once again, I admire how much both ex-outlaws are willing to accept to stay clear of being recognized - including the task of cleaning chamber pots as well as playing cupid!

I very much like the impression the story suggests that the boys almost feel at home in town, followed inevitably by the painful truth,
"We can't be thinking like this, we'll get careless and caught." Again, not only fiction but returning close to the spirit of ASJ.

In my opinion, the comparison between the boy's and Logan's life is well done;
The idea everyone earns a second chance and the realization a new name might trigger a new life,
Heyes and Curry use their aliases and Loco Logan changes into Ed Logan..

It's beautiful to see how Penski uses another basic idea of the serie; the boys end up helping others to help themselves to escape jail once more just in the nick of time.
Including the perfect end, thank you very much for a funny enjoyable read.
Penski
Post Sun 17 Apr 2022, 1:59 am by Penski
Thank you for the lovely review! biggrin
Sheriff Jones & Deputy Smith part 2
Post Mon 08 Apr 2024, 8:55 pm by Laura
Things never stopped happening in Russell Gulch. A mean gunfighter Homer Wilson and cronies show up, too bad that Sherriff Jones had to kill him. They come up with a plan to avoid the Carter Brothers from seeing them. Deputy Logan is curious about just who his bosses are, but they keep quite on that matter. Then they have to avoid Marshall Dillon, wow!. They make really good matchmakers for Mrs. Tucker and Deputy Logan and the children from the mercantile robbery get adopted. Then Marshall Dillon shows up again and sees the Kid. but Kid sees him and they get out of town just in time. At last Deputy/sheriff finally gets to know who those two lawmen were. Too bad that Lom and the governor never got to hear about what they were up to for 7 weeks, it might have helped them in their quest.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith - Part 2 by Penski

Page 1 of 1