Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Empty
PostHunter and Hunted – Part 1

Starring

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Heyes_32

Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry

Guest Starring

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Callum10

Callum Keith Rennie as Jack Odium

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Helene10

Hélène Udy as Delilah Brock

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Asher_10

Asher Morrissette as Billy Brock

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Anson_10

Anson Mount as Lou Racine

by Nightwalker & Hanna Heyes

The West has some amazing landscapes and Heyes and Curry were riding through one of them:  soft tree-covered rises separated by lovely green valleys.  Everything looked lush and fresh and – soaked, including our boys.  Soaked, that is.  Otherwise, they appeared worse for wear.  Their horses and gear were dirty and covered with mud in different states of desiccation.  In a slow walk, they plodded their way up yet another rise.

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Pic_1_12

Kid Curry’s face showed clear signs of displeasure while Heyes was beaming with joy, chattering and enjoying the view.  “Isn’t it a lovely day?  The sun's shining and illuminating the leaves so pretty.”

“About time it shines,” Kid Curry growled.  “Didn’t see it the past ten days!  Never had so much rain this time of the year around here.”

“That’s why it's so pretty!  Everything’s growing and glowing and bursting with life.”  The dark-haired one underlined his words with a sweeping gesture, indicating their surroundings.

His partner wasn’t quite as impressed.  “Yeah, great.  Let’s hope the creek isn’t burstin’ out, too.”

“C’mon, Kid, stop worrying.”

“You said you like me worried, ‘cause I’d be more alert.”

“Alert and sulking are not quite the same,” Heyes lectured gently, “and right now I could do with a less cloudy face at my side.  There’s a sure ford and the creek isn’t running high this time of the year anyway.”

Side by side they reached the peak where they reined in their mounts.  Heyes’ smile faltered visibly.

“You mean the time of the year it never rains...?” Kid Curry deadpanned.

Below them the view opened to a wide riverbed filled with gurgling, muddy water.  The surface looked treacherously calm, but the occasional tree branches and bushes floating downstream told about a strong undercurrent.  Crossing the stream was a heavy wagon, fighting the steady pull of the flood.

Heyes and Curry exchanged a long look.  Heyes’ face twitched self-consciously.  He took off his hat, ran his slender fingers through his hair, replaced the hat, pushed it back on his head, then pulled it forward.  In the end he looked at his partner again and shrugged.  “At least we’ll be clean soon.”

His blond partner huffed and glared at him.

In unison they turned their heads and faced the river again.

The prairie schooner had made it almost to the far side when the team of draft horses balked and refused to take one more step.  The usually even-tempered creatures were shaking their heads and rearing up, causing heavy jolts to the carriage.  A blond boy, pale, about five years old, sat in the front holding the reins.

A young, and equally blonde, slender woman was trying to calm the beasts down and coax them forward with soothing gestures.  Her long, braided hair and dress were soaked, for the flood reached well over her waist.  At the back of the wagon, a slim man supported her efforts by pushing the resisting vehicle from behind, but to no avail.  The tumbling and spinning debris carried by the water spooked the horses even more and made it difficult for the folks to keep their footing.

Just then a large tree trunk bumped into the wagon and all hell broke loose.  The horses finally lost it, screamed and started pushing and pulling in different directions.  The jolt and the scared cries of woman and child occurred almost at the same time, as the boy lost his grip and fell into the flood.  The woman dropped the halter, reaching for the kid, but couldn’t fetch him before he disappeared under the opaque surface.

Ignoring the distance separating them, the man lunged for him and failed, too.  Still, he followed the boy, barely able to navigate in the strong current which played with their bodies like dolls.  It forced them to drift further apart until it threw the man against a boulder, leaving him stunned and trying to regain his bearings.

Heyes and Curry exchanged a quick glance, a curt nod, and spurred their horses into breakneck speed.  Nearing the riverbank, they parted, forcing their animals to leap into the churning waters simultaneously.

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Pic_2_13

[Well known trailer]

Once in the water, Kid Curry went downstream, scanning the part of the river where the boy’s head appeared now and then in the seething flood.  As fast as possible, he approached the child trying to catch him.  When he bent down to pick him up, the remainders of a bush were carried their way, reeling and turning.  The Kid’s horse reared up and sent its rider tumbling into the water.  Fighting to keep his head above the surface, Curry refused to let go of either the boy or the reins.  Struggling against the current and his jibbing horse, he pulled the child closer, shoved him up into the saddle and then pulled himself up behind him.

Meanwhile, Heyes steered his horse towards the man plastered to the rock and reached down.

The soaked man, who looked a few years younger than his rescuer, clasped his forearm with a smile of gratitude and hauled himself up with Heyes’ support.  Barely up on the horse's back, he turned his head, watching out for the boy.  Once he saw him safe in the stranger's arms, his stance relaxed.

Slowly trudging through the deep water, Heyes’ mount carried its two riders to the wagon.  When they reached their destination, his fellow passenger slipped down and checked on the woman while Heyes fished for the reins of the draft animals.  Trying to gain control, he pushed his own mount against the panic-stricken team, talking and soothing them with calming noises.

With joined efforts they got the wagon into movement again and directed it up a low slope out of the riverbed.  Sheltered by a copse of trees, they halted, high enough above the water to be on the safe side of any unwelcome surprises by nature’s force.

Heyes dismounted and slumped against the wagon beside the young man, both of them trying to catch their breath.  They exchanged a brief smile and a curt nod.

The woman hurried towards the river instead, where the Kid’s horse climbed up the bank in slow strides, the beast as tired as its riders.  Neither the muddy wet dress, nor the tousled hair, diminished her grace.  Reaching up, she took the child that Curry was handing over to her into her arms.  With tears shimmering in her eyes, she pressed the boy tight against her chest as if she would never let him go again.  “Are you alright, Billy?”

The boy nodded weakly.

“Your boy’s alright, ma’am.  A mite shaken and soaked, but nothin’ some rest and a hot meal won’t cure.”  The blond outlaw slipped off his horse, his shoulders slumped down, reins in his left hand and favoring his right arm.  His partner’s eyes followed his every move under furrowed brows.

“Oh dear, you’re hurt!  How are you?” the young woman exclaimed.

When Kid Curry answered, his eyes darted into Heyes’ direction.  “It’s nothin’, really.  Sprained my wrist when I wrangled with my horse.”

“Thank God, and thank you, Mister...?”

“Jones.  Thaddeus Jones, ma’am,” the Kid offered, facing the woman in front of him again, and tipped his hat with his left hand.

“God bless you, Mister Jones.  I’m Delilah Brock,” the woman introduced herself and then turned to the wagon, indicating her companion.  “And this is...”

“...Jack Odium,” the young man beside Heyes threw in, his voice soft and gentle.  Turning to his neighbor, he proffered his hand with a brief smile.

He was a man of lean but wiry build, his face angular and covered in three-day stubble of undefined color.  His striking bright eyes were calm and observant, shaded by a mop of mud-blond hair of middle length.

Heyes sought brief eye contact with his partner before he accepted the hand of his new acquaintance, smiling brightly.  “Joshua Smith, pleased to meet you.  Looks like we’ve got here in just the nick of time.”

“Heaven-sent.”  Delilah’s voice was filled with gratitude and relief.

Jack surveyed the ex-outlaws, his eyes lingering just a moment too long on the other men’s tied down guns, then mirrored Heyes’ smile.  “Yeah, thanks.  Thanks a lot.”

“Don’t mention it,” Heyes replied.  “Nothing anyone else wouldn’t have done, too.”

“It’s nothing to be taken for granted.”  Delilah shifted the weight of the boy to her other hip as she started towards the wagon.  “You’ve got to stay with us.”

Jack’s head snapped around.  He furrowed his brows almost imperceptibly, but she held his stare and insisted, “We owe you, and we would be honored, if you’d have supper with us.”

“It’d be our pleasure, ma’am,” Heyes accepted.  “You don’t mind us changing out of our wet clothes, first?”

“No, not at all.  We all need to get dry and warm again.  Jack, would you get a fire started while I take care of Billy?”

“Of course, ma’am,” the addressee replied.

Delilah smiled at him briefly, then lifted the boy up on the wagon and followed him inside.

Clad in dry clothes, they gathered around the fire where Delilah had a stew and biscuits on its way.  She had changed into a modest dress and apron which underlined her natural beauty.

Seated on logs or their bedrolls, everyone enjoyed the spreading warmth as well as Delilah’s cooking.

“It’s delicious, ma’am.  I haven’t had such a fine meal in ages,” Kid Curry told her between two bites.

“Why, thank you, Mr. Jones.  I just wish you could enjoy it more with your hand hurting.”  She nodded toward the injured limb, which was wrapped up in a bandage by now.

“Thaddeus, ma’am.  It’s nothin’ really.”

“So, you think you could manage another helping?”

“I wouldn’t say no, ma’am,” he answered with a happy, boyish smile.

“Delilah,” she offered while she refilled his plate, much to Kid Curry’s delight.

His partner flashed him a wolfish grin which earned him a scowl in return.  Heyes’ lips twitched as he suppressed a comment.  Instead, he turned his attention to Jack who attended to the meal in silence, but with vigilant eyes.  “So, you’re heading south?”

Jack merely nodded.

“Just like us.  You’re aiming for Silverton?”

“Somethin’ less crowded.  Durango, maybe.  It’s up to Missus Brock, my employer.”

“Ah.”  Heyes nodded and darted a brief look towards her.  “Of course.  She couldn’t travel alone as woman.  Not in times like this, with prospering mines attracting all kind of folks with all sorts of intentions.”

Jack nodded again.  “Yeah, I’ll get them there safely to start their new life.”

“I hope you will.  There’s a lot of trouble out there.”

“You mean men like Racine?” Delilah threw in.

Her employee’s face lost all expression, as did his voice.  “Racine?  Lou Racine?”

“Yes.  There are rumors about a prison break in the Territorial Penitentiary in Cañon City, him gathering his old gang.  I heard it at the general store where we picked up supplies.  The man has killed two guards and is said to be very dangerous.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”  Jack’s eyes narrowed, and his voice had an almost imperceptible edge to it.

“I didn’t think it important.  He means nothing to us, does he?”  The woman’s blue eyes were big with surprise.

When the young man didn’t answer, Heyes stepped into the breach.  “Men like him should always be taken seriously.”  Facing Jack, he added, “You know him?”

“Seen him long time ago.  A lifetime ago.”  Swiftly, his eyes flickered to Billy.

Heyes followed his look and threw a sideways glance to his partner before he flashed a reassuring smile.  “Cañon City is not on our way.  I doubt he’ll be heading our direction.  If he’s smart, he’s half-way down to Mexico by now.”

“Yeah, sure.  Smart.  That’s what he’s known for,” Jack answered, the look in his eyes betraying his even voice.  “We better keep watch tonight, if it’s alright with you.  You mind me takin’ the first turn?”

“Sure.  It’s fine with us.  C’mon, Thaddeus, let’s check on the horses before we turn in for the night.”

“Thanks for the hospitality.  The cookin’ was delicious, Delilah,” Kid Curry added and tipped his hat before he and his friend stepped into the falling darkness.

Delilah moved around the fire and sat down beside her employee.  Gently, she laid her hand on his arm.  “What is it... Jack?”

The young man kept silent, but his face closed up even more.  His jaw tight, his eyes hard and cold he stared into the fire.

“Same old story?” she asked softly.

“Yeah, old story.”  His eyes smoldered in the darkness.  Just a moment later the hard expression disappeared, and an infectious smile split his face and lit up his eyes.  “But how are you?  And how’s Billy?”

Delilah couldn’t help but smile back at him, before she went serious again.  “He’s not doing well.  We need to get into town and soon.”

“It’d be best if we could avoid folks for a while, but I guess we’ve got no choice.”  The happy expression on Jack’s face was wiped away in a blink.  “Dang!” he busted out and punched the ground in a sudden outburst of violence.

Delilah didn’t as much as flinch, just watched him in silence.  Immediately his hot temper ceased.  “So, what do you think?  Are we moving on together?”

“Guess we should ask them,” Jack murmured, his eyes filled with unspoken thoughts.

“Do you think they mean a threat?”

He pursed his lips, but then shook his head briefly.

“So...?” Delilah inquired.

“I don’t like the way they carry their guns.  Looks like they draw the wrong kind of attention.”

“Jack, they were nothing but kind.  And they helped us when they had no need to.  If Billy really gets sick...”

“Yeah, I know.  We’ll need any help we can get.”  Jack ran his hands over his face.  “Guess, we’ll just keep our eyes open.”  His look wandered into the darkness where their new companions had disappeared.

As silence stretched, he turned and faced Delilah again, his eyes gently caressing her face.

-o-o-o-

Meanwhile the boys had tended to the horses, and Heyes checked on Kid Curry’s hand.

“Jack Odium?” the blond said in a mocking voice, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

Heyes nodded and smiled, removing the bandage.  “Yeah, a man with a past.  Most likely a man like us.”

“You know him?”

“Nope, haven’t seen him before.  But I know Racine – and he knows me.”

“He as bad a guy as they say?”

“Worse.  He’s mad like a dog, and there’s more blood on his hands than running in his veins.  Guess he had nothing left to lose when he decided to take the chance and go for a break-out.  Wouldn’t mind a couple of dead men more on his slate.”

“You think he’s headin’ this way?”

Doubt showed up in Heyes’ dark-brown eyes.  “I don’t know, but Jack seems to be sure.”

“Why?”

“Some old story?  He said he knows him, and he looked rather concerned.  Maybe a score to settle?”

“You think Jack’s that kinda guy?”

“Doesn’t strike me that way, but who knows?  Looks can be deceptive.  Just look at you.  Who would take you as the fastest gun in the West by face value?” Heyes teased, as he moved and prodded the Kid’s injured wrist.  “Knowing Racine, I doubt he’s gathering his old gang.  If he’s not straight due south yet, he’s out for revenge.  And he won’t chance meeting the hangman's daughter in leaving witnesses behind.”

“Ouch!  Be careful!” his partner complained.  “You wanna get outta here?”

“I don’t think we have that choice,” Heyes said seriously.

“Why not?”

“You can’t handle your gun...”

“Yeah, bad luck at its worst.  But we wouldn’t need my gun, if we’d make a run for it.”

“...and we can’t run, because you can’t handle a horse with a swollen paw like this either.”  Heyes put more force than necessary into the task of dressing the hand again.

Kid Curry sucked in a breath and snapped, “You care about your horse!  I care about mine!  I can handle my horse anytime with my left.  Nothing I haven’t done in the past.”

“Yeah, with a good enough reason.”

“And Racine isn’t good enough a reason?”

“It’s not like it’s life or death.  He knows me, so what’s he gonna do?  Run to the sheriff and get arrested?” Heyes told him softly.  “We don’t even know if he’s coming our way.”

“We could play it safe.”

“And leave Delilah and the kid behind?”  Kid Curry’s eyes grew hard, and Heyes nodded before he continued, “Jack might be a good man, but whatever it is, he has a history with Racine.  You think he can handle him alone?”

“I don’t know.  Do you?”

“Nope, and I very much doubt you’d take a chance.  See – no leaving.”  Heyes smiled briefly, his voice was tight, but fondness warmed his dark eyes.  “Let’s go to sleep.  Maybe things will look better in the morning.”

-o-o-o-

The morning sun found all of them well, except for Billy.  The boy was even more pale than the day before.  His big blue eyes were too bright, and a harsh coughing shook his fragile figure now and again.

Delilah acted like the personification of concern, hovering over him like a mother hen.  “He’s got a tender constitution.  That’s why we’re moving south.  He’s going to need a doctor checking on him.”  She quickly glanced over to Jack.  The look on his face was as apprehensive as hers.

“Then we should get moving,” Heyes said.  “It’ll take about two days with the wagon to Hancock.”

“Two days?”  Delilah’s eyes grew wide.  “Isn’t there any place closer?”

“No, ma’am, I’m sorry.”

“Can you give us directions?” Jack asked.

“We can show you the way,” Heyes offered.  “It’s on our route anyway.  If you’ll have our company that is.”

“We’d be happy to have you with us, wouldn’t we, Jack?”

“Of course, ma’am.  We’d be happy.  Very happy,” he confirmed politely, his tone even, his facial expression unreadable.

-o-o-o-

The sun was casting long shadows, when the small convoy trotted down the main street of the dusty town of Hancock.  Heyes and Curry scanned the surroundings alertly.  When they passed by the sheriff's office, their eyes lingered on the sign, before they exchanged a look of relief.

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Pic_3_12

As they broke eye contact, the Kid noticed Jack watching them.  The young man didn’t comment but kept a straight face and slowly shifted his focus to the horses again.

Only a short way down the street a sign indicated Doctor Henry Miller’s Office, situated between a barber’s shop and a carpentry store.  In front of his place the woodworker was sanding a raw wooden box, about 6’ long and 20’’ wide.

“Convenient,” Heyes remarked drily, which earned him disapproving glances from his companion.  “I’m just saying.”  He shrugged and smiled apologetically.  “You wanna go first, Thaddeus?”

Kid Curry squared his shoulders.  “You want me 6’ under?”

“No, to the doctor’s I mean.  Check on your hand.”  Heyes’ smile was all innocent.

“I’m not sure that’s much of a difference,” the blond answered, throwing a sideways glance at the coffin-to-be.  “And I don’t think it’s necessary.”

“You’re not scared, are you?” Heyes prodded

“Nah, it’s just not that bad.  Almost healed up again.”  He hesitated for a moment. “And it is kinda forebodin’, isn’t it?”

“C’mon, don’t tell me you believe in omens?  And what will Billy think of you?  Go on, be brave, and give a good example to the kid.  I need you ready for action again as soon as possible.  You know what depends on your swiftness.”

The blond looked down to his swollen hand, up to the little boy watching him, and eventually slipped off his horse with a deep sigh of surrender.  “One day I’ll regret listenin’ to you.”

Doc Miller was a man in his early seventies with grey hair and a face resembling a dried plum.  Kid Curry’s wrist was already dressed up professionally.  Now the old man checked on Billy, took his temperature and listened to his chest.  “That doesn’t sound good, young man, if you’re not meant to harbor a brass band in your chest.  Why don’t you go to my assistant, Penny?  She’s going to make a nice mustard plaster and chase the guys out, alright?”

Jack hunkered down beside the boy.  “What do you think, Billy; we goin’ to see the nice lady?”  Billy hesitated for a moment, glanced to his mother, and then laid his arms around Jack’s neck, who lifted him up on his arms.

Doc Miller watched the both of them leave but held the mother back.  “I’m sorry, ma’am.  His condition is serious.  He’s running quite a fever and there’s indication for pneumonia.”

Delilah gasped and the color drained from her face.  “Is there anything I can do for him?”

“The usual, keep him warm and dry.  He needs rest and lots of fluids.  Where are you staying here in town?”

“We’re only passing through and were planning on moving on.”

The old man shook his head seriously.  “He must not be moved.  Traveling would do him no good.”  With long-practiced routine he wrapped a portion of white powder in a small paper sheet.  “Give him a pinch of this here powder in tea or water every two hours.  It will help to break the fever.  I’ll check on him tomorrow.  Can you stay in town?”

“I... I’m not sure we can do this.  We’ll set up camp just out of town and bring him in again, if it’s alright with you?”

“Yes, if that's the best you can do.  See you tomorrow then.”

“We’ll be here,” she promised him.  “Thank you, Doctor Miller.”

-o-o-o-

Last edited by royannahuggins on Fri 04 Mar 2022, 5:53 pm; edited 4 times in total

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Hunter and Hunted – Part 1
Post Fri 04 Mar 2022, 10:22 am by royannahuggins

Not far from town, the small group of traveling companions set up camp under the wide branches of a copse of old trees.

After supper, Jack helped clean the dishes.  “We’re goin’ into town for a while, Missus Brock, checkin’ out the saloon, washin’ the trail dust down, and gettin’ some news.  You need anything before we go?”

“No, I’m fine.  I’ll tend to Billy and turn in early.  I’d like to attend Sunday service since I’ve got the chance and pray for Billy.  Could you watch after him in the morning?”

“Of course, ma’am.  I won’t be long.  I won’t be far away and I‘ll be here in a blink in case you need me.”

“Alright.  Thank you, Jack.”

They exchanged a slight smile, before Jack turned away and joined his new friends for the short ride down the dusty street.

The Red Bucket Saloon was well-attended with a mix of local patrons and trail-worn strangers.  The three men didn’t draw particular attention when they weaved through the crowd and bellied up against the bar.

“First round’s on me,” claimed Jack.  “Beer alright with you?”

Heyes and Curry nodded agreement and soon each of them cradled a mug filled with foaming golden liquid.

“Thanks again for your help...” Jack paused for a moment that felt too long.  “Thanks.”  He raised his mug in the way of a toast, cracking the rare infectious smile of his.

The boys followed his example, then took a first swig of their drink.  Heyes lifted his brows, pursed his lips and nodded in appreciation.  “Someone knows his craft here.”

They fell silent, enjoying their beer and panning the crowd.  A few feet down the bar, a pair of cowboys passed the time with the contents of a whiskey bottle standing in front of them and talking loudly.

“He’s been looking up his old men.  Leaves a trail of dead bodies in his wake,” the first of them told his friend.  “Three of them are dead now.  Rumor has it there was a fourth on the job.  He’d be the only one left.  Wouldn’t want to be in his boots for sure.”

“Last thing I heard, he was in Creede.  Stole a horse and left a widow and her kids dead.  Guess Racine’s heading this way.”

“How long ago?”

“About a week.”

“So, he could be here already?”

“Yup, could be.  Glad I don’t have any business with the guy,” the other said and knocked back his next shot.

“Let’s hope he has no business with you.  You sure you’re not his last man?”  He tilted his head to the side and grinned.

The addressee almost spit out his drink.  “Heaven forbid!  Sure as heck, I wouldn’t be here anymore, if I were him.  I like breathing.”

“Yeah, a man can get used to that.”

Both of them laughed again and refilled their glasses.  “To other guys’ problems!”

Kid Curry leaned into Heyes and asked in a low voice, “What’s this about Racine’s old gang?”

“Guess it’s about their last heist,” Heyes replied under his breath.  "A coach with a fat payroll heading through a narrow pass.  Good place.  Tempting.  Too tempting.  No ways in, but no ways out, either.  The job blew right into their faces.  Big time gunplay.  The law snatched Racine; his boys got off.  No one ever heard about the money again.  Maybe it was a set-up.  Maybe there was a snitch.  Or, maybe his boys were tired of his temper and got rid of him.  Rumor has it one of them sold him out and got away with his pockets full of money.  You know how folks are.  Always in for a good story.  I guess he heard the rumors, too.”

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Pic_4_10

“You think our young friend...?”

Heyes nodded.  “Would explain a lot, wouldn’t it?”

In unison they turned to Jack nursing his beer.

“You heard that guy?” Heyes asked, raising his voice.

Jack nodded, his face unreadable, but his eyes serious.  “I’m headin’ back to the woman and her kid.  I don’t like them bein’ alone out there with a guy like that around.”

“You’re right,” Heyes replied and emptied his mug in one swig.  “We’ll go with you.”

-o-o-o-

Sunday morning the men took care of the chores, while Delilah attended Sunday service.

When the church bell announced the end of the sermon, Jack gingerly wrapped Billy in a warm blanket and lifted him up on his horse.  “We’re gonna fetch Billy’s ma and go see the doctor.  Thaddeus, are you comin’, too?”

“Nah, it’s way better today.”

“Of course, he will,” Heyes chimed in.  “I can look after the camp alone.  Go get a new dressing and some sympathy from his nice assistant, Penny.  She likes you.”

“Really?”

“Sure.”

“Well, the bandage does feel a mite too lose today...”  Kid Curry thoughtfully picked at the edge of the fabric with a little smile on his lips.

So, it was a threesome which slowly made their way into town.  It was a beautiful day, and only a short distance to the newly built church, its pure white exterior shimmering in the bright sunlight.

Several groups of people stood in front of it, talking, laughing and shaking hands.  The preacher had just left a small gathering of women with Delilah, clad in her best dress, amongst them.  The women were relaxed and involved in a lively conversation.  When they noticed the newcomers, they greeted them with a smile and appreciative glances.

Both men took off their hats and nodded in return.  As they waited for a pause in the conversation, the Kid showed his usual self-confidence.  Jack was more subdued but sporting a winning smile.

Doctor Miller passed them by and stopped as he recognized them.  “You wanna see me?”

Jack nodded.  “Yeah, right.  We were just stoppin’ by to fetch Billy’s ma first.”

“It seems that she's pretty well occupied at the moment.  Why don’t you come with me, and I'll check on you guys, first?  Give the ladies some more time for chit-chat.  Don’t ask me why, but they need it once in a while.”

The men agreed and followed the old man to his office.

“Come on in.  Let’s see how you are today.”  Quickly he replaced Kid Curry’s bandage.  “Yeah, that’s how it’s supposed to be.  Keep it slow for a few more days and your hand will be as good as new.”

But when the doctor examined the boy, his contentment faded.  Slowly he shook his head.  “Not one bit better.”

“Nope, not a bit,” Jack confirmed.

“And the temperature is even higher.  Did he get his treatment?”

“Of course, he did!” Jack’s voice was polite, but his eyes took on a hard glint.  “His mother did all you told her.  Stayed up all night, keepin’ him warm and all.”

Doc Miller sighed.  “I see.  There’s not much else one can do.  I’ll give you more of the medicine and she’s to continue the treatment.  Time will help to break the fever if he stays warm and rests.”

“But we've got to get movin’,” Jack pointed out, gently.  “We didn’t mean to stay here that long.”

“Billy’s not to be moved.”

“But we have to!” the young man insisted, somewhat urgent now.

“Look, he needs all his strength to fight the disease.  Moving around in a jiggling wagon won’t do him any good.  The dust will add to the already affected lung and aggravate the infection.  Take him out on the road and he’s not likely to see another Sunday.”

Jack’s face paled and turned into stone, his eyes hard and relentless.  “We need to get goin’ as soon as possible.  There must be somethin’ else you can do!  Give him stronger medicine or somethin’.”

“Yes, I could.  There are stronger remedies.  But he’s only a child, and he’s fragile.  Those treatments could affect him as bad as the disease.  I’d like to hold back with those for an emergency.”

“But this is an emergency!”  Jack's stony facade started crumbling and desperation shaded his voice.

“No, it’s not!  We’ll keep up what we started, add inhalations when you’ve got the means for it.  Hot water with salt or chamomile will support the healing process.  That’s all we can do for now.”

Jack’s eyes were throwing thunderbolts, his energy level increased in a blink and suddenly he radiated imminent violence.  Kid Curry, waiting at the door, adjusted his stance, prepared for intervention.

The doctor stayed unimpressed though.  “You’ve got to calm down, son.  It’s hard, I know, but impatience is not going to help you.  You can’t force a miracle.  Care in a real house would be helpful.  How about you leave him with me for a few days?  Take care of whatever business there is that's so important for you and pick him up again.”

“That’s not an option!  I’m not goin’ to leave him alone!” Jack shot back, baring his teeth in a snarl.  He snatched the boy and took him up in his arms.

“It’s up to you.  Do what you have to do.  I’ll be here.  You know where to find me.”

Jack stared at him for a moment.  Then he forced a curt nod and stomped outside, still seething with barely contained anger.

Kid Curry threw a questioning glance at the doctor, who nodded in response and waved him away.  When he left the building, he saw Jack gently lifting Billy in the saddle of his horse and pulling the blanket tighter around the boy’s slim shoulders.

The next second Jack spun around and exploded.  His fist impacted into the nearest wall. “NO!” he shouted; his face contorted with anger.  The wall took two further blows before Jack’s shoulders slumped down.  His hands flat against the wall, he leaned his forehead against it and dragged in a deep breath.  When he turned around his face was calm and well-composed again.

He threw a quick glace towards Kid Curry, who lifted his brow and asked, “You alright?”

Jack nodded in return.  Then he noticed Billy watching him with wide eyes.

“It’s alright, Billy,” Jack told the boy softly.  “No need to be scared.  We’ll go fetch your ma and go back to camp.  You’d like to ride the horse on your own, wouldn’t you?”

A shy smile lit up the boy’s feverish face as he nodded.

“That’s what I thought.  Go on, you know what to do.  I’ll be here in case you need me, alright?”

A clap on the horse’s hindquarter set it into movement, the boy on its back, both men walking on either side of him.

Delilah was already coming their way and fell into step beside Jack, who slowed down his stride to meet her pace.  With every minute the distance between them and the boy and man in front of them grew.

“You’ve been at the doctor's already?” she asked, keeping her voice low.

“Yeah, Billy’s not better.  He said to keep up the treatment and start with inhalations.  He‘d like you to bring Billy into town.  Maybe leave him with the doc.”

“But I’m not going to do that?”

Jack shook his head.  “I don’t reckon it’s a good idea.  He needs you.”  Then he glanced over at her.  “You look happy, Delilah.”

“It’s been wonderful,” she told him, and her eyes started to shine.  “Reverent Baker’s a wonderful preacher, and the people here are very kind.  I got to know some of them, like Ida Manson the seamstress, and Beth, whose husband owns the general store.  They invited us to the picnic next weekend.”

“You know we can’t stay that long, Delilah.”  Jack’s voice was gentle but determined.  “We should get movin’ as soon as Billy’s fever breaks.”

“Do we really have to go?  The constant moving does Billy no good, neither his condition nor his upbringing.  He needs stability and friends; a place where he belongs and can grow roots.  This is a good place.”

“Nope.  No way.  We can’t stay here.”  Jack was twitching uncomfortably, fidgeting like a skittish horse.

“I don’t want to move on.  People are nice here.  They’ve been building a school.  Maybe I could be a teacher.”

“You think they would hire you – havin’ a kid and all?”

“They’ve been desperately searching for one, but to no avail so far.  I’d be good at it.  We can settle down, build a home.  It would be good for Billy.  And I want him to carry your name.  Finally.  Isn’t it good news?  The best?”

A shade of sorrow darkened Jack’s eyes.  “You know that’s not goin’ to happen.  My name will only bring trouble and shame on him.  There’s no end to it.  Folks don’t forgive, don’t let you forget.  Never.  Never...”

Delilah stopped dead in her tracks.  “You’re judging yourself too seriously.  People are different here.  Righteous.  Christian.”

Jack threw a short glance towards Kid Curry and Billy moving on, before he stood and turned to face her.  “Yeah, they pray for forgiveness, but they have a hard time practicin’ it,” he said bitterly.  “It’s all talk and no action.  We’ve seen it in the past.  We’ll see it in the future.”

“Please, give them time to convince you, time to show their good nature.”  Her eyes were big and pleading with him.

Jack Odium stared down at her, the tension in his stance clearly visible, his jaw clenching.  “We’ve got no time to let them show their true face.  We have to move on.  And soon.”

“But why?  And why are you in such a hurry?  Is there something you’re not telling me?”

Jack merely averted his eyes.

“Tell me!  I’ve got a right to know,” Delilah demanded.

“No, nothin’.  Nothin’ to worry about,” he told her, his voice softer with every repetition.  “There’s nothin’ you’ve got to know.”

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Pic_5_11

-o-o-o-

Back in camp Jack took off immediately collecting firewood, Heyes in tow.

Delilah took her son to bed and applied his remedies.  She still looked particular unhappy when she started preparing lunch.

Seeing the worry on her face, the Kid asked her gently, “Is there a problem?”

“No,” Delilah answered.  “It’s just Jack being overprotective.”

“Why would you think so?”

“He’s been like this before.  We come into a town.  Everything’s fine.  Then he finds out he can’t deal with the folks there.  Their attitude would change.  Then we move on.  I don’t want to move anymore.”

“So, it’s him?” Curry asked.  “Why don’t you just drop him when he means trouble?

“No, it’s not him.  And I wouldn’t leave him.  He’s... he means a lot to me.”  The woman paused, looking thoughtfully at the blond gunman.  Then she came to a decision and continued, “He’s been with me for several years now.  He takes care of me, and, in a way, I take care of him.  They say he was a good boy once.  But then he changed.  Got involved with the wrong friends.  Trouble started following him.  Trouble grew with him as he grew older.  One day someone got in the way of a bullet.  Jack didn’t run.  He stood trial and served his sentence.  But it changed the way people look at him.  Once they admired him for being wild and free.  Now they are scared; won’t give him a chance.  Call him dangerous, bloodthirsty, a killer.  He's not.  He’s a good man.”  Delilah sighed.  “I know, I can trust you.  You saved my son.  And you understand.  You won’t judge him, will you?”

“Of course not, ma’am,” the Kid replied softly, as Heyes returned with an arm full of dry wood.  Casually, he set it down beside the fire, not interrupting the conversation.

“Things might have been different if he hadn’t lost his family.  He can’t help what happened when he was a kid.”  She hesitated for a moment before she continued, “The war… you know?”

Heyes, crouched beside the fire pit, glanced up and locked eyes with Curry.  Shadows of the past flickered through them, mirrored by a set of emotions flashing over Heyes’ expressive face:  anger, sorrow, sympathy and understanding.

“Yeah, it was a hard time for regular folks,” Heyes confirmed softly and stood.  “At one point there was no right side anymore.  They all were right – and they all were all wrong.  Pushed a lot of folks into making bad decisions.”

“Nobody can change the past,” Kid Curry continued.  “But a fella can change his ways.  Leave his past behind.”

“If he gets a chance,” Delilah added.  “He needs it.  He deserves it.”

“Nobody should be judged by their past alone.  Everyone needs and deserves a second chance at some point in their life.”  Heyes sought the eyes of his partner and placed his hand on the blond’s shoulder.  “And everyone should get it.”

-o-o-o-

Night had fallen when Delilah joined the men sitting around the fire, carrying the little boy in her arms.

“Still not sleepin’?” Jack asked her softly.

“No, he’s restless.  And the fever won’t break.”

“Give him to me.  I’ll take him for a while.  Rest yourself.  He’ll need you in the mornin’.”

Delilah nodded, passed him the child and then returned to the privacy of the wagon.

Jack wrapped the blanket tighter around the little boy.  He hesitated a moment, but then gently stroked his head.  Billy blinked up at him, his eyes tired and feverish.

“It’s alright, Billy.  Go to sleep.  I’ll take care of you.”

“Tell me a story?” the child murmured.

“A story?  What story?”

“The story you told me last time.  About the deer.”

Jack looked at him long and seriously, then nodded.  His tongue flickered over his lips before he started.  “There were these deer – an old buck with a doe and fawn.  They lived in peace with the world, strivin’ in the woods.  One day a fierce hunter found their tracks.  Came after them with his gun.  The old buck got a whiff of him, took his doe and fawn and led them far, far away through valleys and hills – for safe-keepin’, you know?  On and on they moved until they came to a river where they stayed, living quietly and in peace.  But then winter came, and with the winter came the hunter.  He followed their tracks and cornered the doe and fawn.  Hidden behind a bush, he raised his gun, took aim and slowly pulled the trigger.  But – wham! – somethin’ slammed into him, and the shot went wild.  It was the old buck, knockin’ him over, and buyin’ time for the doe and fawn to get away.

“The deer turned around and faced the hunter, challengin’ him.  His leg was dark with blood, seepin’ from the graze in his chest.  The man was furious, feelin' around for his gun, but couldn’t find it.  Slowly, the old buck walked out onto the frozen river, favoring his leg.  Then he turned around, lookin’ at the hunter and waitin'; lurin' him to follow him onto the ice.  That's what the hunter did in his ragin’ anger.  The buck didn’t retreat, just waited for him, knowin’ the ice couldn’t hold the weight of both of them.  So, the hunter came, a knife in his hand, careless about the ground under his feet.  And then the ice broke.  They both disappeared in the cold water, carried away by the strong current.  And the doe and fawn were saved.”

Jack’s voice grew softer and softer towards the end, and Billy’s eyes fluttered shut as the boy fell asleep.  Jack’s eyes laid on him showing deep sadness and deep affection.  Silence spread, only broken by the crackling fire.

Hunter and Hunted – Part 1 Pic_6_10

Heyes and Curry sat across the flames in silence, watching, listening.  After a long time, they exchanged a glance filled with knowledge and concern.  Simultaneously they stood, nodded curtly, and turned in for the night.

Jack remained there, sitting calm and still, staring into the flames as he watched over the sleeping boy.

-o-o-o-

Bundled into their bedrolls within arm’s reach of each other, Kid Curry rolled onto his back and stared up at the stars.  “I remember him now, Heyes – Jack,” he said quietly.  “I don’t know his name, but I remember him from when he was way younger, almost a kid, barely growin’ a beard.  Tangled up in some dirty deals.  Gunman.  Quick temper.  All anger and attitude.”

“Sounds familiar.”  Heyes turned his head, facing his partner with a brief smile.  “Quick temper, huh?  What’s that about the pot and the kettle?”

“There’s temper and there’s temper.  Couldn’t control himself.  Met him in prison where he did a few years sentence.”

Heyes frowned.  “When was that?”

“Some time after we split up after that stupid fight we had in Abilene.  They got me for petty theft and locked me away for a short while.”

“Splitting up was never a good thing for either of us.”

“No, never.  And I never got used to bein’ caged in,” Curry replied.  “Jack didn’t take it well either.  He had a hard time there, bein’ that young.  Took a lot of beatin’.  Never gave up.  Never gave in.  Never learned to bend, but didn’t break either.  Guess prison did him a favor, keepin’ him from gettin’ himself killed in a stupid fight.  He sure seems calmer now.”

“It looks like Delilah's done him some good.”

“Should have married her.”

“Couldn’t have married her without calling trouble on her.”

“...and his son.”

Heyes nodded “...and his son.”

Kid Curry turned to his side and faced his partner.  “Did you see the look on his face?”

Heyes nodded again.  “He’s desperate.  Needs help.  Can’t bring himself to trust anybody.”

“Been there.  Done that.”

“Yeah,” Heyes confirmed, thoughtfully.  “I know he’s asking for help.  There’s no need to say it.  It’s in his eyes.  It’s like reading a player in a poker game.  Jack just won’t admit it right now.  Too stubborn.  Maybe too proud.”

“I remember that feelin’, Heyes.  After runnin’ from Valparaiso, we were just like him; crying for help inside but couldn’t say a thing.  Easy to tell when you’ve lived it yourself.”

“Yeah, exactly, but at least we had each other.”  Heyes’ voice was calm, but his face showed concern.  “If Racine’s coming after him, he’ll run into us, too.”

“And recognize you.”

“I guess so.”

“And will be gettin’ thoughts.”

“Yup.”

“I’m not goin’ to leave them.”

“I know.”

“No complaints?”

“Nope.  Saving my breath.  The moment you laid your eyes on Delilah and the kid, I knew what was going to happen...”

“You wanna leave alone?”

“Nope.”

Their eyes met and they looked at each other with affection and understanding.  They shared a smile and then turned their heads, facing the star-spangled sky.

Kid Curry spoke first.  “That’s one heck of a situation we’ve got here.”

“Yeah, and I don’t know how to get all of us out of it without getting into harm’s way.”

“You’ll think of one.”

“I will?”  Heyes propped himself up in surprise and looked at his friend.

“Who claims bein’ a genius all the time?”

Heyes sighed and settled in for sleep.  “You know, Kid, sometimes it’s hard to live up to your reputation.”

To be continued...

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Shade Nightwalker’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

Penski, Gemhenry and Kattayl like this post

Penski
Post Fri 04 Mar 2022, 11:59 pm by Penski
What a wonderful beginning to our 2022 Virtual Season, Nightwalker! You have a wonderful family we immediately love, a real baddie is coming, and, of course, Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry. Jack seems very frustrated and angry with past choices and how they are affecting his family. What we need is a Hannibal Heyes plan! clap

goodone
Post Sat 05 Mar 2022, 2:19 pm by Uk_rachel74
great start :) Looking fwd to part 2.

Penski likes this post

Post Sun 06 Mar 2022, 1:31 am by Kattayl
Enjoying this virtual season! Looking forward to part two. I like the new family and am worried about Billy and Jack. Our boys are also willing to come to the rescue!!

Penski likes this post

moonshadow
Post Thu 17 Mar 2022, 1:58 am by moonshadow
Great job to both Nightwalker and Hanna Heyes, and bonus points for being the first out of the gate this season.  clap
You've written an interesting, as well as tense, adventure for Heyes and Curry to get mixed-up in.
Your casting of characters deserves some praise as well. Anson Mount as the baddie was an excellent choice.
I hear part two calling my name, so I'm off to see what happens next.

Penski likes this post

Post Tue 22 Mar 2022, 4:21 pm by Dan Ker
The first story of the VS is always something special... And this one is no exception.

Starting with a good introduction resembling the trailer, following the rules of the VS to only describe everything in a way readers can actually see with their eyes on screen, like an aired episode.

Right at the beginning the first picture pops up in my mind giving me an impression of the landscape. Beautiful from the distance as so often, but if the camera zooms-in closer, we are aware of the not so comfortable situation of the boys and their dependence on the whim of nature in general. Good contrast to the seemingly idyllic surrounding.

In the next scene the camera focuses on Heyes and his facial expression he is so well-known for, exactly as Kid's respective expression. Really a fine graphical writing style, which stimulates the reader's imagination.
Great detailled description of Heyes' resetting his hat to cover up an uncomfortable moment.

I love that Nightwalker/HannaHeyes concentrates on important ASJ basics, for example
●"Kid's eyes darted into Heyes' direction," it's nothing"", to downplay his injury. Good emphasis on his partner’s knowledge and fondness about Kid's urge to always help the needy.
●the way they make contact with unknown people, like in the scene during their mutual meal; Kid concentrating on the important things of life in combination with his charme, while Heyes assesses Jack like a poker player - that's close to the series
●good implemented small, funny teasing scenes between the boys.

The actual closeness to the series is also mirrored in the wonderful hint to Sheriff Coffin, the gloomy question "do you believe in omen?" and the marvelous, though slightly changed statement of a scene out of "The 5th Victim", "You care about your horse, I care about mine."

The description of Jack Odin as a main character beside the boys is well done.
He looks all innocent, but noticing his behavior the reader quickly learns Jack hides a story of his own, same as Heyes and Curry.
A man with two faces and a hot temper - wonderful to see Delilah accepts and loves him the way he is.
Callum Keith Rennie is a brilliant actor, who is able to show changing facial expressions impressively like Pete Duel also managed to perform.

Detailed description of facial expressions and changing intonation are some of the methods authors have to use in order to make the story vivid without any inner thoughts according to the strict rules of the VS.
Nightwalker/ HannaHeyes, usually fond of describing inner emotions, had to change their writing style - and managed revealing their quality once again.

There is a lot of resemblance between Jack and Heyes/Curry. Inwardly they yearn to lead another life but the time is not right yet... There is the constant threat that the past will catch up with them.
I love that it is Kid who puts the red thread of the story in words, "Nobody can change the past. But a fella can change his ways. Leave his past behind. Everyone needs and deserves a second chance."
Beautiful story about the old deer sacrifying himself for the doe and fawn, used as a simile.

Nightwalker/HannaHeyes used well chosen, fitting pictures to underline the plot.
Alltogether a great start for the VS 2022, a fine capturing of the spirit and atmosphere of the series with the boys helping others, though they are well regarded as being dangerous themselves and acting suspiciously sometimes.

Great final proclamation from Heyes as a transition to part two.
Post Sat 26 Mar 2022, 9:40 pm by Nell McKeon
I'm glad I'm reading several weeks after it aired so I can go right to part 2. Excellent VS story, it's visual and gripping. Heyes and Curry are true to the series and the oc's are engaging. I like Jack's similarities to Heyes and Curry's own stories. There is a whole lot of serious trouble coming there way and Jack seems to be barely holding on. On to part 2, it's nice to not have to wait a week. The story is that good!
Post  by Sponsored content

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones  :: Virtual Season :: Virtual Season 2022-
Jump to: