Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  Empty
PostSaint Thaddeus by Kattayl

Starring

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  Kc_and10
Ben Murphy as Kid Curry
and
Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes

Guest Starring

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  Vs_chr10
Christopher Pettiet as Hugh

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  Vs_cli10
Cliff Everett Smith as Sheriff

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  Vs_ear10
Earl Holliman as Wheat Carlson

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  Vs_gar10
Gary Clark as Farmer St. Isadore

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  Vs_mic10
Michael Learned as Mrs. St. John

Saint Thaddeus
by Kattay
l

Two exhausted horses plodded slowly towards a town in the distance carrying two tired and dusty riders, Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry.  The sun shone straight at them and made it difficult for them to see.  His hat hanging by its stampede strap, the sunlight reflected off Curry’s blond hair, forming a yellow glow around his head.  As they approached the town, a sign became readable.

“Hey, there's a sign pointin' to–” Curry stopped.  His brow furrowed.  “That's the name of the town?  It don't make sense.  That ain't English, Heyes, and it ain't Spanish, neither.”

“Yeah, Lom wrote it down for me ‘cause he couldn’t say it either.  It's Irish, Kid, Cathair na Naomh.  Not sure I said that right, but I heard it means `City of Saints'.”

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  1_vs_h10

“That’s where Lom’s doctor friend is sendin’ us with this medicine?  City of Saints sounds like a real friendly place.  Why can’t we tell no one except this Mrs. St. John what we’re deliverin’?  Hidin’ something in a city with a name like that seems like a bad omen to me, like saints protect it or something.  I sure don't think that saints abide lyin'.”

“That sounds like Grampa Curry telling tales.  We’re going to deliver this to Mrs. St. John and help her because she’s a friend of the governor,” Heyes answered.  “We like doing favors for the governor’s friends.”

“Take the snarky look off your face,” Curry huffed.  “We do these favors hopin’ one will lead to us finally gettin’ our amnesty and you know it.”

Looking over the town, Heyes turned to his cousin.  “Why don't you take the horses to the livery, and I’ll meet you at the saloon.  I’ll see if I can find someone in there and ask them where we can find this Mrs. St John.  She can't be that hard to find; it's not that big of a town.”

“Okay.  Don’t know why Lom didn’t want us to bring it into town until we found her.  Seems kinda odd to me,” he shrugged.  “Hey, how much we payin’ Wheat and Kyle just to sit at our campsite and guard that package anyway?”  Curry frowned.  “What if someone finds them?”

“Twenty dollars, and as long as Wheat and Kyle keep the fire low and the wind keeps blowing away from town, no one will find them.  Have faith, Kid; it’s a good plan.”

ASJ---------------ASJ----------------ASJ----------------ASJ

Hannibal Heyes leaned on the bar drinking a beer in the saloon.  He yawned and rolled his eyes as he listened to the townsfolk around him talking.  Suddenly, the batwing doors were thrown open.

Gasping for breath, a wide-eyed man yelled, “The bank's being robbed!”

The bar emptied quickly.  Heyes plunked his beer down on the bar and followed behind, his eyes scanning the crowd and the street.  There wasn't a sign of his partner.  “Sure hope you're still in the livery, Kid,” he muttered under his breath.

“Get out of my way, I want to see!”
“Imagine robbing our bank!”
“My life savings are in that bank!”
“I can see the robbers!  There’s two of them!”
“Look out, they’ve got guns!”
“Where’s the sheriff?”
“They’re running towards the feed store.  Anybody recognize those horses tied near it?”

The whole town was huddling on the edges of the street or peeking around the corners of buildings watching the robbers race toward their horses.  

Heyes had said nothing, but was standing in the middle of the crowd that had gathered in front of the mercantile, trying to blend in.  

The burly sheriff stepped out of his office, pulling himself up to his full height with authority and confronted the robbers.  “Hold it right there, mister!  Put your hands up!  Where do you think you’re going with that money – our hard-earned money?”

“All right, Sheriff, looks like you caught me red-handed; I surrender.  See, I’m puttin’ my hands up,” outlaw number one said to the lawman with a smirk.

“Where’s your partner?”

“Right behind you, Sheriff.  Feel that cold metal?  That’s my gun pressin’ against your neck.  Drop your weapon – or else!”

The sheriff complied.  “Alright, I’m dropping it; don’t shoot me.”

“I’d suggest you back away and let the sheriff go.”  Kid Curry stood in the street facing the outlaws, the sheriff and, farther back, the crowd of townsfolk.  The sun reflected brightly off his golden curls, hiding his features.  The townsfolk and outlaws squinted to see him more clearly.

“Who’s that?”
“What's that man doing down there?”
“Can’t see him clearly with the sun in my eyes!”
“You recognize him?”
“Where'd he come from?”
“Hey – do you see that?  Looks like he’s got a halo.”

Curry took off his glove and unfastened the loop holding his gun in his holster.  He took a step toward outlaw number two who was still pointing his weapon at the sheriff's neck.

“I asked you real nice to let the sheriff go.  Now I’m tellin’ you.  Let the sheriff go!”

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  2_vs_k10

Outlaw number one went for his gun, but before he could get it out of his holster, the Kid’s Colt was in his hand.  He shot the outlaw holding the sheriff in the shoulder first, then swiftly turned to face outlaw number one, who quickly raised his hands high above his head.  

“Oww, my shoulder!” cried outlaw number two.  “Dang – ain't never seen anyone with a gun that fast! I never even saw him draw!”

The sheriff quickly bent down and picked up his gun, then held it on the two surrendering outlaws.

“Where did that stranger come from?”
“How'd that gun get in that stranger’s hand?”  
“Never saw him draw.”
“It just appeared in his hand, like magic.”
“And would you look at that – he has a golden halo!”

“That’s not a halo.  Just the sun hitting his blond hair, which is too long,” Heyes huffed.  “That’s just my partner, Thaddeus.”

Suddenly, a runaway wagon rushed by with a farmer reaching fruitlessly to try and grab the reins.  Two small girls with their brown hair in pigtails and ribbons stepped off the boardwalk.  Giggling, and busy reaching into a bag of peppermint candy, the pair were not paying attention, oblivious to anything else going on around them.

“Oh my, get out of the way!  Run, run!” shouted the farmer.

“The shot that wounded the outlaw scared Farmer St. Isadore’s horses!”  
“Look, he can’t hold them; they’re running away with him in the wagon!”
“Watch out!  He'll never be able to stop in time!”
“There’s two little girls in the wagon’s way!”

The Kid seemed to appear from nowhere and diving, pushed the girls out of the way.

“That stranger, the one with the halo, he saved the girls!”
“He pushed them out of the way!”
“I never saw him standing anywhere near them.  How’d he get there in time?”
“Where'd he disappear to after he saved them?”
“Maybe the wagon hit him?”

The thankful mother ran to her little girls and hugged them close.  The group of townsfolk joined her on the boardwalk, scratching their heads in awe and disbelief, muttering to one another.

“Nobody’s laying in the street.”  
“He just disappeared!”
“Maybe he’s one of our saints!?”
“There's no maybe about it.  He must be one of our saints!”

“He’s not a saint, I told you.  He’s my partner, Thaddeus,” Heyes insisted a little louder to be heard over the words of the townspeople.

The mother, still kneeling, hugging her girls, looked up at Heyes.  “Saint Thaddeus.  He saved my little ones and the sheriff.  He caught those outlaws that robbed our bank.  Did you know that Thaddeus means courageous heart?”

A couple of the other townsfolk nodded and repeated, “Saint Thaddeus.”

Heyes, with a frustrated look on his face, muttered under his breath, “He’s not a saint; he’s an outlaw.”

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  3_vs_h10

Farmer St. Isadore was thrown around in the seat of his runaway wagon desperately holding onto the sides with both hands, the reins dangling loose, dragging in the dirt.  The horses galloped off the road, narrowly missing trees and ditches.  Fearing for his life, Farmer St. Isadore screamed.

“Just hold on tight,” a calm voice reassured the man.  “They’ll stop runnin’ soon.

The farmer looked frantically to the left, right, front and back of the wagon as best he could while being heavily jostled.  “Who said that?  Where are you hiding?”  He watched the horses narrowly miss a large boulder to the left.  Leaning to the right to stop the wagon from tipping over, he snapped, “All right, don’t answer me!”  A few moments later, he shook his head in amazement.  “Hey, you’re right, they are slowing down.”

“Told you they would.  Horses were just scared by the sound of my gun.”  The Kid walked from the rear of the now stopped wagon, untangling the reins of the horses.  He spoke softly to each animal, while stroking their heads.

“How did you get behind my wagon?” St. Isadore exclaimed.  “Nobody was following me!  Careful near them horses, they’re still spooked.”

“Nah, they just need me to tell them everything is okay.”  Curry continued to comfort the horses.

“You’re good with horses, mister.  They calmed as soon as you spoke to them.”

“Always had a way with horses.”

Farmer St. Isadore looked the stranger up and down, noticing his torn shirt with the back of it in tatters.

“You okay, mister?  Can I give you a ride to town?”  He eyed the other man skeptically.  “Still don’t understand how you got all the way out here.”

“I rode with you.”

“Nope.”  St. Isadore shook his head adamantly.  “I was all alone in this here wagon.  I know I was alone.”

Curry shrugged.  “Guess you'll just have to believe what you think you saw, then.  Thanks, but I don’t need a ride back.”

The farmer groaned as he gingerly climbed out of the wagon.  As his feet hit solid ground, he looked around for the stranger.  “Mister?  Where did you go?  Mister, sure you don’t need a ride?”

The farmer questioned his sight as he searched for, but didn’t see, any sign of the stranger.  He rattled each wheel of the wagon to test it, finally climbing back up in the seat, turning the buckboard around and driving away.  He turned to take one last look behind him, but seeing nothing, he shook his head and drove back to town.

In the saloon again, everyone talked about what had happened.  Farmer St. Isadore was surrounded by a group of drinking men and pretty saloon girls, enjoying how everyone was listening to him.  Even the poker game had stopped so the players could hear the story.

He repeated his story over and over, each time with a little more embellishment.  “He must be a saint!” he exclaimed, his expression one of awe.  “When the horses were running, twice I heard his voice talking to me, telling me not to worry, that they would slow down soon.  Then, when they stopped, he reminded me that he had told me they would.  He looked out for me.”  He nodded reverently.  

“Just out of nowhere, he appeared next to my wagon.  One minute, weren’t nobody there and then the next – poof – there he was!  It was almost like he appeared out of thin air!  He petted those horses and spoke to them in words I couldn’t hear, and guess what?  They calmed down right away.”  Farmer St. Isadore basked in all the attention he was getting.  His glass was constantly being refilled.

“What happened next, St. Isadore?” asked one of the saloon girls, rubbing up next to him.

The storyteller continued, “Well, I asked him how he got there.  Don’t you know, he said he rode with me.  No way he rode with me,” he huffed and shook his head.  “Nosiree, I know for sure that I was the only one in that wagon!”

The crowd murmured in awe, “Saint Thaddeus!”

“Asked him if he wanted a ride home.  He said ‘no’ and just disappeared.  I swear to God, he was right there in front of my eyes one minute, then the next he was gone!”

Heyes leaned on the bar drinking a beer and rolled his eyes at the discussion behind him.  

Wheat entered the salon with bravado and looked around.  He spied Heyes at the bar and joined him, holding up a finger to the bartender for a drink.

“Got a message for you from the Kid.”

“Keep your voice down.”  Heyes shot Wheat a stern look.

“Sorry.”  Wheat continued in a whisper, “Curry’s back at the camp, all black and blue on his back.  Sent me to help find Mrs. St. John with you.  And bring his horse back.”

Heyes frowned at Wheat's words.  “How’d he get back there without his horse?”

“Said he’d tell us all about it when he wakes up; looked all done in, iffen you ask me.”

“Heyes, you alone?  Wheat and Kyle stay in town?”  Curry looked up from his seat by the campfire as Heyes rode into camp trailing the Kid’s horse.

“Yeah, Wheat wanted a drink and Kyle saw a girl he wanted to take upstairs.  Since we’re here in camp, no need for their help tonight.”

“Why’d Lom send us here and make it such a big secret?” Curry wondered aloud.  “Looks too small of a town to keep secrets.  Glad camp was so near; don’t think I could've walked much further.  My back’s–”

“The town is small.  Small enough that it has a sheriff that don’t know us and no deputies.  As far as the secrets, Lom has his reasons.  Every town has them; this one isn't any different.  And we were sent here ‘cause this is where Mrs. St. John lives.  No luck finding her yet.  All anybody wanted to talk about in the saloon was Saint Thaddeus.”  

“Saint Thaddeus?”

“That’s what the town called the man with the golden halo who stopped a robbery, saved the sheriff with a gun that magically appeared in his hand, saved the lives of two little girls, talked to a farmer without being seen, appeared next to the back of his wagon when he stopped, calmed his frightened horses with a few words, then disappeared,” Heyes sarcastically explained.  “I know you feel compelled to help the needy, Kid, but this is going too far.”

“Saint Thaddeus?  Wow, who’d a thought?”  Curry grinned.  

“How did you talk to the farmer in the wagon without being seen?  Were you hiding in the back?”

“Nah.  Didn’t have time to get up there.  After I pushed the little girls out of the way, I fell in the street.  That wagon would have run over me.  Those horses jerked to the right, and I grabbed onto that open shelf under the wagon that holds all the heavy bags of grain.  Good thing it was empty.  Wiggled myself up and rode there.”

A look of concerned realization passed over Heyes’ face.  “Not a lot of boards across on those shelves; a lot of room to fall through.  Mighty bumpy down there, too.  Your back keep scraping the ground?”

“Yeah,” Curry grimaced.  ‘Those horses were spooked and didn’t stay on the road.  They ran over that dry riverbed.  That very sharp rocky, dry riverbed.”

“Wheat said you were hurt.  You okay?” Heyes asked, concerned.  “I brought a bottle of whiskey, just in case you needed it.”

“I need it.”  Wincing as he reached for the bottle, Curry closed his eyes.  

Heyes saw the wince and his brow furrowed.  “Kid, I know you; you'd never let on how bad you were hurt.  Why don't you stay right there while I settle our horses and get some clean water from that stream?   I’m betting that back of yours needs a lot of tending so it doesn’t get infected.”

“You'd be right about that, partner.”  Gingerly, Curry took off the tattered shirt and swallowed a long drink of the whiskey.  Continuing to sit cross-legged by the campfire, he leaned forward to wait for his cousin.

ASJ----------ASJ----------ASJ----------ASJ

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  4_vs_h10

“Thanks for lettin’ me sleep so late, Heyes.  This back just wouldn’t let me get comfortable.”

“Yeah, St. Thaddeus needs his rest.  It’s past ten already.”  Heyes brought a plate of food over to Curry and handed it to him, along with a hot cup of coffee and sat down beside him.  “Kid, you won't believe the kind of morning I've had.  The townsfolk refused to tell me where Mrs. St John lived.  Close-mouthed every one of 'em.  I used all my charms, but none of them helped me get the information we need; they weren’t talking.  

“Then, I ran into Wheat.  He got the blacksmith, Jimmy St. Augustine, drunk last night.  That worked.  He told Wheat that she lives south of town.  Wait'll you hear the directions he gave Wheat; I couldn't believe 'em when he told me.  We're supposed to turn left at the dead tree that got hit by God’s lightning, go past the praying rock, then it’s the second turnout on the left.”  

Curry frowned.  “Wheat couldn’t get any clearer instructions?  What’s a prayin’ rock?”

Heyes shrugged.  “Don't know; guess we’ll find out.  And another thing, Jimmy also told him that no one’s allowed anywhere near that house.  The town don’t approve of her brand of medicine.  They say she’s a quack.”

“Her brand of medicine?” Curry echoed as he tried to stretch his back but stopped when the pain made him wince.  “What's that mean?”

“She’s a real educated doctor.  She graduated from a medical school in Philadelphia.  Mrs. St John reads all the medical journals and practices the latest techniques,” explained Heyes.  “Oh, and she’s a widow and not interested in remarrying.  The other ladies of the town don’t understand that.  Rumors say her medical views were responsible for her husband’s death.”

About to take a drink of coffee, Curry paused and his brow furrowed.  “Are you sayin' that they think she killed her husband?”

“No.”  Heyes shook his head.  “Nothing like that.  They think that what she tried to do to help him, didn't help and that if he had seen a real doctor he might still be alive.”

“Well, that sounds like a lot of ifin' and guessin' and not much proof, if you ask me.”  He took another drink.  “Wheat and Kyle got back late last night.  They’re sleepin' deep.  We takin' that package to the lady today?”  

“Yeah.  Thought I’d go back to the saloon.  See if I can get more information on Mrs. St. John and clearer directions to her house.  Wheat seemed to think it might be dangerous to visit her.  Need to find out who – or what – is making it dangerous, and why.  I want to deliver it today.”  Heyes placed the small box in his saddlebag.

“Sooner we deliver it, the sooner we get paid.  Just be careful with that package.  Ain’t like we can get more.”  Curry walked slowly and poured himself another cup of coffee.  “I’ll go visit this blacksmith fellow and see if I can get more details on the town’s feelings about her.  I'll meet you in the saloon.”

“Just try and keep a low profile and not attract any more attention.  Never know when someone might recognize us.”

“Geez, Heyes, I’m not trying to, it’s just happening.  Although I kinda like being the good guy for once.”

Heyes pushed through the batwings and made his way to the bar.  While he waited for the barkeep to finish up with a customer, he glanced around, noticing a few familiar faces from the day before, as well as some new ones.  Hearing only reverent talk about the miraculous feats of St. Thaddeus, Heyes finally spoke, “He's no more a saint than I am.”

“Yeah?  What miracles have you worked?”
“You got a halo?”
“Sounds like sour grapes to me, mister.”

Smiling like the cat who got into the cream, Heyes picked up a hardboiled egg.  “I can make this egg stand on its end without breaking the shell.”

The bartender eyed him suspiciously.  “That ain’t anything divine; just a trick.  Paul St. Robert learned how to do that in Cheyenne; taught all of us how to do it.”  The bar patrons broke out in laughter.

Discouraged, Heyes inserted himself into the lone poker game in the saloon, hoping to steer the conversation to Mrs. St. John.  The back table where they were playing was the only well-lit section of the bar.  Frustrated that the other players were distracted as all they wanted to talk about was St. Thaddeus, Heyes won the first four hands without much effort.

Curry easily found the blacksmith shop off the alley that ran parallel to the back of the main street buildings.  However, he had not found the blacksmith himself, so he took the alley heading to the back door of the saloon.

“What’s that yelling?” he muttered to himself as he exited near a bright, sunlight patio behind the blacksmith.  

“Eleven!”  
“Gee, Hughie, that’s at least four times today you’ve rolled an eleven!”
“You cheatin’?”

“Nah, just lucky.” finished the small boy with intelligent brown eyes.

The Kid stepped onto the patio just as two dice came hurling through the air.  Without thinking, bending down, he caught them in one hand.  “Good thing fast reflexes are good for somethin' besides a fast draw.  Those dice would’ve hurt if they’d a hit my leg,” he mumbled to himself.

“Wow, Mister!  How’d you catch those?”
“They were rolling fast and hard!”
“You caught them in one hand when they was rolling in two different directions!”
“Where’d you come from?”

“How old are you boys?” Curry looked down at the youngsters playing craps with a sigh.  “A bit young to be gambling, aren’t you?”

Six pairs of eyes squinted as they looked up into the sun trying to see him.

“We’re old enough!”  

“Ain’t gambling if you know the odds!” added a smaller boy defiantly.

“What’s your name, boy?”

“Hughie St. Patrick.”

“You remind me of someone I knew when he was your age.  He always knew the odds, too,” Curry laughed.

Rolling the dice he’d caught around in his hand, the Kid smiled.  “Well, then, what are the odds of rolling an eleven with these dice, Hughie?” he asked, giving the boy a knowing grin.

Squirming, the boy answered, “One in 18.”  

“You know, my grandma told me that when you're doin' somethin' wrong, eyes from Heaven can see you.”  Curry watched Hughie start to shift from foot to foot.  “Gamblin’s wrong, ain’t it?”

“Well, it ain’t gambling if you know the odds,” Hughie repeated nervously.

“Craps is gambling.”  Curry fixed his gaze on Hughie; the boy squinted back.  He lowered his voice so only Hughie could hear.  “Especially with these dice.”

Hughie’s face turned crimson and he looked down at his shoes.  “Mister, can’t see your face real well, I’m looking into the sun, but I sure feel Heaven’s eyes, and you, staring at me,” he answered softly.

“Tell you what, boys; I roll an eleven and you stop gamblin’.  At least until you grow up some.  I roll anything else you go on playin’.  The Kid looked at the boys kneeling in an oval, thinking about his offer.

“Mister,” pleaded Hughie.  “Please just give me the dice back and leave.”

“Seems the odds are in your favor that I won’t roll an eleven.”

“Come on, Hughie.  Let him roll and when he loses he’ll go away.  Lookin' into the sun at him is makin’ my head hurt.”

With a deep sigh, Hughie saw that he was outnumbered.  “Feel like you can see right into my soul, mister.  Alright, bet taken.  Here’s the dice,” he said, producing another pair of dice.

“These ones here will be just fine,” responded Curry as he rolled the dice against a nearby wall.

“Eleven!”
“He rolled an eleven!”
“One chance in eighteen and he rolls it!”
“Wait a minute, heard my pa talk about you – you’re St. Thaddeus!”
“Can’t see your face, but your hair is glowing…like a halo.”

Picking up the dice, Curry just said, “You boys lost the bet.  I expect you to keep your side of it.  NO more gamblin'!”  The Kid used his outlaw voice but tempered it for the boys.

“Yes, sir.  No gamblin'.”

Leaving them before they finished answering, the Kid slipped down the alleyway and entered the back door of the saloon.  He stood in the shadows at the end of the bar and waited for the bartender to acknowledge him.  A saloon girl in a very low-cut emerald green dress approached him, rubbing her hand over his shoulder before standing next to him.  

“Drink?  Or something more?” she asked, seductively wrapping her arm around his waist.

The Kid leaned closer and inhaled her perfume deeply.  “You smell real nice.”  Taking a sideways glance at her, he shook his head before he spoke softly.  “Not today, Debbie, whatcha doin' here?  Shouldn’t you be home with your two little girls, 'specially after what happened?”

Shocked at his words, she failed to answer before a shout was heard from the poker game.

“You’re cheating!”  A muscular man pushed forcibly back from the table.  He took a gunfighter’s stance as he yelled at Heyes.  “A low down, slimy cheater!  Nobody wins that much!”

Staying seated, Heyes raised his hands, keeping them well away from his weapon.  “Anyone else think I was cheating?”

Heads shook no all around.  All eyes watched the two men.

“Don’t care what they say, you were cheating!” declared the disgruntled man.  “We’re settling this with our guns!”  He pushed his coat behind his holster.

Still in the dark area near the bar, the Kid stepped closer to the table, arms crossed, blue eyes focused on Heyes’ accuser.  “Your gun and my gun, friend.”

The man moved his hand toward his gun, but before he could draw, Curry had his Colt pointed at him.

As they squinted to look at the Kid as he stood in the dim shadows, the men at the table started mumbling.  Heyes' accuser didn’t move, his eyes focused on the drawn Colt.

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  5_vs_k10

“St. Thaddeus – where did he come from?” someone whispered.

“Didn’t come in the front door; I would've seen him,” the bartender stated.  “He just appeared.”

When the men turned to look at the bartender as he spoke, Curry gave a nod to Heyes and slipped out the back door.

“Did you see the way his gun appeared in his hand?”
“I couldn’t see him clearly.  Did he have a halo?”
“St. Thaddeus!”
“Yes, he had a halo.  It was beautiful.”
“He just up and disappeared!”

The disgruntled poker player still had not moved.  He stood as if frozen, with his hand just about to touch his gun, the way he had been when he had seen the gun manifest itself into Curry’s hand.  Slowly, he turned to face Heyes.

“It’s a sign!  St. Thaddeus was here!  A holy sign that you weren’t cheating, mister,” he whispered in a solemn tone.  “I’m sorry I accused you.”

Glaring at his accuser, Heyes snatched up his winnings.  “Of course, you'd see a sign!” he snapped, then stalked away, headed towards the bar.  “Maybe a drink will help me forget saint whatshisname!”

Last edited by royannahuggins on Sat 19 Mar 2022, 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl
Post Sat 19 Mar 2022, 6:57 pm by royannahuggins
Fifteen minutes later, after meeting up at the livery, the partners left to deliver their package.  Keeping the horses to a moderate pace, Heyes and Curry made their way south of town.

The Kid glanced over at his partner.  “You're pretty quiet; something wrong?”

“No – yes!” Heyes snapped.  “It’s the whole 'St. Thaddeus awestruck fan club again!  It's all anybody talks about – all the time!  Can't even play a game of poker 'cause everyone's too busy singing their praise of St. Thaddeus' virtues – it's enough to make me sick!  And it’s drawing too much attention to you.  Attention we can’t afford.”

“Aww, Heyes, I ain’t doin' anything but bein' me.”

“That’s it.  I know that, but to them you’re a saint; someone who can't do anything wrong – no matter what you do.”

“What do you mean?  My fast draw in the saloon?”  Curry shrugged.  “That wasn't anything special.  They saw that yesterday in the street.”

“Yeah, and to go with that magic quick draw of yours, you were standing in the darkest part of the saloon.  The only bit of light in that area reflected high off the bar mirror and shone off of those blonde curls of yours.  Those men thought they saw a halo – again.  Would you keep your hat on, please?”

Curry laughed.  “I’d like to get a haircut; bothers me when it’s on my neck.  A halo, huh.”

“Good idea,” Heyes answered.  “Shave your head bald.  Get rid of them blond curls and that halo,” he teased.  “I bet you don't even know that saloon girl told everyone you were a saint, too.”

“Huh?”  The Kid looked puzzled.  “Didn’t do anything with her; told her not today.  What’d she say?”

“Said she wanted you to go upstairs with her.”

“Yeah, she was persuasive alright.  Her perfume smelled really nice,” he added, as a big grin graced his face.

“But you turned her down.  She said it would take a saint to ignore her charms.”  Heyes studied Curry thoughtfully.  

Curry kept riding without responding.

Heyes continued to dig deeper, pushing Curry to find out what happened.  “She also said that you knew her name and that you knew she was a mother with two little girls.  Told her she should be with them.  She said that was the kind of thing only a saint would know and how one would act.  She’s told everyone that would listen that you’re St. Thaddeus.”

Curry pondered his partner's words for a moment, then shrugged.  “Course I knew her name.  I recognized her.  She’s the mother of those little girls with pigtails that almost got run over by the wagon.  I just thought they were probably still upset and needed their ma.  Hate to see a ma havin’ to work in a place like that.  I heard someone call her by name when I was under that wagon.”

“There's more; there were some boys that came in, swore they had seen St. Thaddeus in the patio off the alley.”

“Not them, too,” moaned Curry.

“Said St. Thaddeus didn’t like it that they were gambling.  They said two dice going in different directions ended up in his hand and they never saw it move?”  Heyes questioned.  

“Yeah, I caught the two dice,” the Kid shrugged.  “Would've left nice little bruises on my shin if I hadn’t.”  

“Always knew you had quick hands, partner,” teased Heyes.

“That all those kids said?”

“No, they said St. Thaddeus made a deal with them.  Told them that if he could get an eleven on the next role, they had to stop gambling until they were older.  An eleven, Kid?  Thought I taught you better than that,” Heyes berated his cousin.  “You know what the odds of getting an eleven in one roll is?”

Curry smiled widely as he nudged his horse closer to Heyes.  “One hundred percent with loaded dice.”  He reached into his pocket and handed the dice to Heyes.  “You also taught me how to recognize loaded dice and test them in my hand.”

“Who had the loaded dice?  Wait a minute, was it a smaller boy named Hughie?”

“Yeah, how did you know?”

“He had a guilty look.  Kept saying 'St. Thaddeus and the eyes in Heaven could see into his soul and know what he did.’”

Curry laughed a strong laugh.  “Well, maybe he won’t gamble for a few years and, when he does, maybe he won’t cheat.  See, Heyes, I’m no saint,” the Kid said firmly.

“Don’t I know it!”  Heyes grinned, then pointed to a tall skeleton of a burnt-out tree.  “Look – that must be the tree they were talking about; the one they said was hit by God’s lightning.”

Curry stopped his horse and studied the tree.  “Now I see why they say that.  What’s left sure looks like a cross.”  He decided to study it more thoroughly, so he directed his horse to circumnavigate the tree.  Tilting his head, he added, “Yep, looks like a cross any way you look at it.”  

Rolling his eyes at all the mystical talk, Heyes simply turned his horse left and snorted, “This way, Kid.”

“What do you think this prayin' rock looks like?” Curry pondered.

Squinting, Heyes answered, “I think it's that big, flat boulder up there.  I can't imagine why they'd name it a praying rock, though.  Nothing but a flat rock.”

As they neared the boulder, sun broke through the high trees, streaming rays down as waterfalls of glorious light.  They seemed to be focused on the center of the boulder.  

“Seems like more than just a rock, Heyes.  Reminds me of the altar of a church.”  Curry's words were sincere, devout.

“Just a rock, Kid.  Just a rock.”

Walking their horses the last half mile to stay quiet, they made a huge circle around the house to see if it was being watched.  Discovering sentries posted only in the bushes near the front of the house, Heyes was quick to devise a plan.

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  6_vs_h10

“You should go in alone with her package,” Heyes suggested.  “Can you hide it in your coat pocket?”

“Yeah, it’ll fit.  I’ll knock quietly on the back door.  After all the questions about her yesterday, glad we checked that the house might be watched.  I don’t understand why the town don’t like her, Heyes.”  

“Because she’s different from what they know.  She’s educated in medicine as it is today.  Her ways of healing aren’t the same as their parents and grandparents.”  Heyes stopped his horse, hidden in the trees to the side of the house.  “But medicines keep getting better.  Doctors keep learning more.  Ladies study medicine.  Some people don’t abide change.  Seems like this whole town don’t like change and is willing to back it up with violence.”

“Not the whole town.  Remember, Lom said she has two sick children and their ma with her in there.  The ma trusted her enough to bring them here despite what the town says.”  Curry dismounted.

“Now, let’s figure out some signs that you can use to signal me from inside the house to let me know how things are going.”  Heyes joined his partner.

“You gonna be where you can see me from that front window on the left?”  

“Left as I’m looking from the front of the house?” Heyes asked.

“Yeah, your left.  Okay, keep an eye on that window.  I’ll open the curtain, then wait a minute and signal from there.  If I point up, go to the back door.  If I don’t point anywhere, don’t come near the house.”

“Got it.”

“If I point right or left,” Curry continued, “go to the window on that side of the house.”  

“Got it,” Heyes whispered.  “Let’s get this package delivered.”

Heyes led both horses further under cover.  His eyes searched the area where he knew the watchers were waiting.

Once they had decided on their signals, the Kid slid further into the woods and made a careful security check around the house.  Using the trees for cover, he silently made his way to the back door.  “Sure glad Heyes has my back, but I'd better not let my guard down, just in case.”

Reaching the back door, the Kid sighed in relief.  “So far, so good; didn’t make no noise, didn't run into nobody and I don't think anybody saw me, either.”  He tapped on the door.  “Delivery for Mrs. St. John,” he said just loud enough to be heard inside, but quiet enough that his voice did not carry out far enough to alert the men who were watching.

“Who sent you?”  A strong female voice was heard through the door.  

Curry heard a gun cocking inside.  “Working for a friend of the governor,” he answered, keeping his voice calm.

The door opened.  “Get in here quickly.  Were you followed?”  Curry slipped in and the door was shut quickly behind him.  The soft brown eyes of the woman betrayed the scowl she had attempted to put on her face.

“No, ma’am, not seen or followed, but there are men watchin' your house,” answered Curry.  He removed his hat as he introduced himself.  “I’m Thaddeus Jones and I have a package for you.”

Her eyes sparkled with laughter.  “So, you’re this Saint Thaddeus everyone is so much in awe of, hmm?”  

Curry darted a suspicious look at the woman.  “Where did you hear about that? Thought no one comes out here?”

“Relax; Farmer Henry St. Isadore stopped by this morning.  I didn’t let him inside, but we talked in the yard.  He had a lot to say about you.”  She gestured for him to sit at the kitchen table.  “Coffee?”  At his nod she poured some into a cup and handed it to him.  “Lom said there would be two of you.”

Curry sighed.  “Yes, ma’am.  My partner's watchin' both the house and the men watchin' the house.  And yes, my name is Thaddeus, but I ain’t no saint.”  After taking a drink of coffee, he added, “I have the package you wanted.”

Mrs. St. John gently took the package from his hands and cradled it against her, caressing it like something precious.  “This is the medicine I’ve been waiting for!  It will cure those children.  I wasn’t sure if the urgency of my message came through.  Look, there’s enough to vaccinate their mother, too.”  She turned and looked at the Kid.  “And you, too, Mr. Jones, or should I say St. Thaddeus?”  

“Me?  No, really I...”

“Yes, you.  You will also need to stay here until tomorrow afternoon for observation.”  

“Well, guess if you say I have to...''  Curry shrugged.  “I need to let my partner know what's goin' on; he likes to worry.”

Mrs. St. John looked out the back window without moving the curtain.  “As long as we stay in the house, I don’t think anyone will bother us.  Would you like to let your partner know what's going on and tell him that he can leave?  Then you must come right back inside.  Trust me, you don’t want to expose him to this,” she spoke authoritatively, but with concern.

“He’s in the front of the house, but I can signal him to come to the back.”  As discussed, Curry pulled the curtain on the front left window to the side and tied it open.  

Heyes focused his attention on the window.  In exactly one minute Curry became visible, moving his finger to point up which was the signal for Heyes to meet him at the back door.  The Kid quickly untied the curtain.

Heyes watched as it fluttered back into place.

“I saw him!”
“St. Thaddeus!”
“Blessed be the saints!”

Heyes froze in place when he heard the words said in awe from the bushes to his left.  

“I saw St. Thaddeus in the house just now!  He opened that curtain, then he pointed to Heaven.”

Heyes held his breath, silently berating himself for not realizing how close he had settled to the men watching the house.  Curious, he stayed where he was hidden, listening to the voices.

“What do you think it means?” came a second, lower, hushed voice Heyes recognized as belonging to one of the men he had played poker against yesterday.

“Think maybe that means ‘no’; that what Mrs. St. John practices is not approved of by the saints,” the voice continued.

“Think he needs help?”

“Nah, he’s a saint.  Saints don’t need help; they help others who need it.  How’d he get in that house anyway?  He sure never walked past us.  Door never opened.”

“Saints don’t need to use doors.  Remember how Farmer St. Isadore told us how he appeared behind his wagon?”

“Must be there to let her know that what she’s doing is wrong and save those children.  Her ways are wrong, don’t care what her books say.  We use the same ways to doctor that our grandparents and their grandparents used.  Worked for them.  They'll work for us, too.”  The men fell silent.  

Moving stealthily away from them, Heyes used the trees as cover to reach the back porch of the house.  He knocked once on the door expecting his partner to come out.  Instead, Curry looked out the back window and motioned for Heyes to move back.

When Heyes had stepped back a bit, Curry opened the door a sliver.  

“Thaddeus?” asked Heyes, starting to get worried.  “Everything all right?”

“Yeah, sort of.  Keep back.  What these kids and their ma have is catchin'.  Mrs. St. John says she needs to vaccinate me, too, and I gotta stay here until tomorrow afternoon for observation so she can watch me.”

“Tomorrow afternoon!?”  Heyes’ whisper grew stronger.  “Well, then I’ll come in and wait there with you.”

“No, Joshua.  Didn't you hear what I said?  If you come in, you can get it, too.  Can’t risk both of us gettin' sick in case somebody recognizes us.''  Curry looked around and whispered, “What if we have a posse after us?  Can’t both be laid up.”

Heyes nodded his agreement.  “Yeah, Thaddeus, you’re right.  Anything you need?” he asked, attempting to see around his partner and into the house through the slit in the door.

“Just a minute, I’ll ask,” Curry answered, shutting the door.  A few seconds later he opened it a crack again.  “Mrs. St. John says to tell you thank you and we got everything we need.”  

Brown eyes searched blue.  Heyes spoke loud enough for those in the house to hear, but not those watching.  “Take care, Thaddeus; I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“You be careful too, Joshua,” Curry answered loudly.  Then he dropped his voice to a softer whisper.  “Really careful.  You ain’t got nobody watchin' your back.”

“Mr. Jones, you a saint come to cure us?”

Curry looked down into the earnest grey eyes laying on a makeshift bed in the dining room looking up at him.  “No, I’m just a man who delivered the medicine to help cure you.  What’s your name, boy?”

“Scott St. Michael, sir.  I’m almost seven.”  The little boy attempted a smile but only managed a weak grin.  “And over there, that’s my ma and my sister, Lynnie.”

“Mine’s Thaddeus, but I ain’t a saint.”  

Mrs. St. John approached the bed, putting the back of her hand on the boy's forehead and then on the back of his neck.  “You've still got a mighty fever, Scotty, but at least you’re awake enough to talk.”  She tucked the blanket tightly around him, but he tried to wiggle out from underneath.  

Tossing his head from side to side as his fever grew, Scott managed to whisper, “Hope you are a saint and that medicine you brought is blessed to cure us all.”  Then sleep overcame him.

Mrs. St. John motioned for the man to go into the kitchen.  “The medicine will cure them, have no doubt,” she said, firmly.  

Curry lifted the coffee pot, tilting it toward her with an inquiring look.  

“Oh yes, coffee, please.  I haven't slept in days.”

“I’m sorry we couldn’t get here sooner, Mrs. St. John,” Curry said, sincerity in his sky-blue eyes as well as his voice.

“Catherine, please...or Doctor,” she said.

“Doctor?  Are you really a doctor?  I've heard of 'em, but never met a female doctor before.”

“Yes, I really am a doctor.  I graduated medical school in the same class as the man who became my husband.  We came out here to start a practice where he saw a need.  His grandparents had come from here.”  She got a faraway look in her eyes.  

The Kid saw moisture in the woman's eyes as she sat lost in her memories, so he changed the subject.  “If you don't mind me askin', just how do you know Lom Trevors, Doc?  And the governor?”

“The governor’s sister, Agnes, was the other female in our class at medical school.  We bonded in self-defense.”

Curry smiled as laughter reached her eyes.

“When my husband was still alive, she asked us to travel to Cheyenne to help victims of a wildfire.  Sheriff Trevors escorted us there.”  She closed her eyes and looked away.  “There were so many people burned, so much pain.  Our help was needed and we did what we could.  Patients didn’t care that Agnes and I were female.  We were doctors relieving their pain.’

Her gaze caught Curry’s eyes and she sighed before she spoke again.

“You and I, Thaddeus, are facing a similar problem.”

Curry heard a sad tone tinged with sympathy in the words she spoke.  “A problem, Doc?”

“Yes, the same problem, just different circumstances,” she mused, her voice so low Curry had to lean closer to hear her.  She looked up at him and smiled.  “Perception.  People’s perceptions.”

“Ma’am?”

Cathair na Naomh has decided what we are without really knowing anything about us.  They call you a saint and me a quack.”

Curry nodded.  “Don’t really understand what you’re sayin' yet, but I can see you're passionate about it.  My partner gets big ideas like that.  Could you maybe explain it a little clearer to me?”

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  7_vs_k10

“Yes, yes, of course.  People are calling you a saint, Thaddeus.  Are you a saint?”  

“No, ma'am.”  Curry shook his head.  “I sure ain’t no saint!”  

“I can tell you are annoyed at being called a saint...or embarrassed?”

“Both ma’am...er, Doctor St. John.  Are you sayin' you feel the same way about bein' called a quack?”

“Sounds good to be called doctor, again.”  She smiled.  “And, yes, that's what I am saying.  The townsfolk here labeled each of us when they first met us.  Then, they only remember the things that deepen those labels or perceptions and ignore other things they learn of us.”

“I see what you mean.  Nobody but Joshua asked me what really happened.”

“And nobody asked me how my dear husband died.  They believe my ‘different’ medicines killed him when actually he died of pneumonia.  He always had weak lungs and this last time I couldn’t save him.”

“Don’t cry, Doc; I never know what to do when a woman cries.”  Curry handed her his bandana.  “I’m sorry you lost him.  It wasn’t your fault.”

“I need to pull myself together.  I’m so tired.  That’s what I mean, though.  The people in this town all perceive we are something that we are not.”

“Alright, then, Doctor, let’s do something about that.  Let's change their perception about you.”  The Kid grinned.  “I kinda like the idea of bein’ a saint for a change.”

Heyes rode slowly back to town.  “Guess I'll head to the saloon; maybe I can kill some time while I wait for the Kid to finish his job at the doctor's house.”  Once in the saloon, he sat down and tried to judge the mood of the men at the table.  At first, they seemed to be jovial, still talking in wonder about the miracles of St. Thaddeus.

“How did he talk to Farmer St. Isadore when he wasn’t in the wagon?” wondered the player to Heyes’ right.  “I’ll take two cards.”

“He’s a saint, that’s how.  Saints do that.  Fold.”

“What do you think he’s doing at the St. John house?  That ma took her two sick kids there to be cured.  Maybe St. Thaddeus will stop that woman from making them worse?  Two cards.”

Heyes heard the tone at the table start to change as he said, “One card.”

“Mrs. St. John is a quack.  He’s probably there to stop her from treating and hurting those kids.  Raise two bits.”

“We should go there and take those kids out of there before she hurts them.  Bet that’s what he was trying to tell us when he looked out the window.  Call.”

“Call,” Heyes echoed.  He sighed as he looked at his full house.  It was the winning hand, but he didn't raise; he had to keep a low profile.  

The other men at the table were getting worked up and not concentrating on the cards.  

“Call,” said the last player.  

“Guess the pot’s mine.”  Heyes pulled the money towards him.  “Ante up, looks like I’m the dealer this hand,” he added.  “Have any of you given any thought that this man, this Thaddeus – not sure he’s a saint – might just be helping Mrs. St. John doctor the children?”

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  8_vs_h10

“No doubt he’s one of our saints, mister.  He’s here to help us deal with her.  Let’s play poker.  Four Cards.”

“Yeah, we can talk about what to do about Mrs. St. John tomorrow.  Two Cards.”

“Well, gentlemen,” Heyes addressed the men seated around the table after an evening of poker.  “I feel lucky to have won enough to buy supper and get a room at the hotel tonight.  Maybe you'd consider letting me join you again tomorrow to see if my luck will change?”

His words were answered with laughter and one of the players spoke up.

“If we’re not out dealing with the St. John problem, we'd love to have you play with us again, Joshua.  You may have won enough for a room and dinner, but that’s all you won.  It was like taking candy from a baby for us.”  He winked.

Heyes took a drink of his beer to hide his grin.

Early the following afternoon when Heyes sat down at the table, he could see the attitude of anger and hostility that enveloped his poker-playing friends.  Their expressions matched the atmosphere.  The men barely noticed when he joined the game.

“It’s decided.  We need to get the children away from Mrs. St. John!” announced Jimmy St. Augustine, the blacksmith.  “We don’t know how she's doctoring them!  She’s probably killing them!”

“Hey, fellas, there's no need to get upset; no need to bang your fist on the table, it disturbs the chips.  I'm sure–” Heyes tried to smooth the growing anxiety at the table, but the men ignored him and threw in their cards.

“Let’s go out there now and save them children and their mother!” declared the bartender.  “By force if we need to!”  He grabbed the shotgun from behind the bar.  

Heyes could do nothing but follow along.  “I've gotta figure out a plan to warn the Kid,” he muttered.  A moment later, his eyes lit up.  “How about... no, that won't work.”  His brow furrowed.  “Maybe... no, not that one, either!  C'mon, Heyes, think!  How hard can it be to come up with one simple little plan?”  

Then, all too soon, the St. John's house was in front of them.  The men dismounted and made a half circle around the front door.  

Heyes adjusted his worn black hat to keep the sun out of his eyes.  As his hand touched the brim, a gleam appeared in his eyes.  “That's it!” he whispered.  “Okay, Kid, sure hope you're ready to play your part.”

“We've got the house surrounded!” bellowed the blacksmith.  “Come out with your hands up and bring those children with you!”

Unnoticed by the others, Heyes had quietly worked his way near the door.  “Saint Thaddeus,” he called out.  “Are you in there helping Mrs. St. John take care of those sick people?  If you are, please let us see you.”  Heyes removed his hat before he turned to the gathered men.  “Put down the rifles and take off your hats in respect to Saint Thaddeus.”  

The men did as asked without question.

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  9_vs_s10

A moment later, Curry opened the door and stepped out into the sunlight holding onto the hand of a child on each side of him.  Their mother stood just behind them.  All three looked healthy and had big smiles on their faces.

Without their hats, the sun was in the men's eyes, blinding them.  They squinted to see him more clearly.

“That’s him!” yelled Farmer St. Isadore.  “That’s our Saint Thaddeus!”

Heyes joined the yelling.  “Well, if Saint Thaddeus approves of Mrs. St. Johns' doctoring, then it’s alright by me!”

“Saint Thaddeus!” the group of men yelled.  Two of them fell to their knees.

Mrs. St. John stepped outside.  

Curry made a show of shaking her hand.  “Thank you, Doctor St. John, you saved these children and their mother.  Because of your efforts, they’re all alive and well.  You have the thanks of the entire town.”    

The doctor waved at the nodding men thanking her; men that had been against her only moments before.  

Heyes slowly moved up until he leaned on the house.  “Get ready, Kid,” he said so low that only Curry could hear.

Curry stepped back so Dr. St. John would be the center of attention.  

Heyes picked up a small rock and threw it towards the trees.  “What was that?” he yelled.

When everyone turned their attention to look at the trees, Curry and Heyes both slipped into the house undetected.  

“He’s gone again!” yelled Farmer St. Isadore when he turned back.  “Just like he did before.”

The partners were relieved when the men escorted the two children and their mother back to town.  

“Thank you.”  

Heyes and Curry jumped at the sound of Dr. St. John’s voice as she entered the house.  

“They’ve all left.”  She walked over to her office desk and pulled out an envelope.  “I believe this is what was promised for the safe delivery of the medicine.”  

Curry took the envelope and pocketed it quickly.  

“And I want to thank you both.  You did so much more for me than delivering that medicine, although that was very much needed.”

The partners waited patiently for her to explain.

“You managed to get the people of this town to call me ‘Doctor’ for the first time.”

“They changed that perception of you that you was talkin' about, huh?”  Curry grinned.

“That they did.”  She smiled back at him.  “But not their perception of you, St. Thaddeus.”

“Think I’d like to be thought of as a saint a while longer.  Nice to have the people on my side for once.”

As they rode back to their camp, Curry turned to his partner.  “What now, Heyes?”

“We get Wheat to ride into town and send a ‘Job Completed’ telegram to Lom.  Then we’re back to looking for work again.”

Curry sighed.  “Gonna miss being St. Thaddeus. My last miracle was making sure we got paid this time.”  He grinned at his partner.

“I know; no work too hard on the back.”  Heyes turned and looked at Curry riding behind him.  The sun once again hit Curry’s blond curls just right, and a yellow halo seemed to circle his head.

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl  10-11_10

“Kid, put your hat on,” instructed Heyes with a tolerant smile.  “Your halo is showing again.”

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Kattayl’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

Penski likes this post

Penski
Post Sat 19 Mar 2022, 9:32 pm by Penski
Another first time Virtual Season writer - excellent episode, Kattayl! So fun that the folks saw our Kid as a saint. He's right... He ain't no saint! I can imagine Heyes would be totally frustrated at their hero worship of his partner. Sad, though, that these same folks are persecuting a female doctor who could be of help to them, if they let her. Absolutely loved it!
trophy

Kattayl likes this post

Post Sat 26 Mar 2022, 2:38 pm by Uk_rachel74
LOL! Cute story.

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Post Sat 26 Mar 2022, 4:49 pm by Kathy
I knew when I saw the title of this story that I would love it and I was right. Clever and so entertaining and in my book, Kid really is a saint! Good story and very well done. Really enjoyed this!

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Post Sat 26 Mar 2022, 8:56 pm by carfar
Enjoyed this very much! Yes, it was good for Kid that he felt saintly for a while :) and funny to feel Heye's resentment? jealousy? Glad the good Doctor's name was validated - thanks for a great read!
Post Sun 27 Mar 2022, 5:36 pm by nm131
This was great!. Nice entertaining VS story, I would have loved to see this as an episode. I really loved Heyes in this and his frustration with Saint Thaddeus. Heyes certainly knows that while the Kid does help the needy and can do good things, he sure isn't a saint. Your casting of the doctor was on target as were your chosen pictures to illustrate your story. The them of perceptions and closed minds resonates in today's environment.

Congratulations on a first VS well done. I hope to read another one from you next year,

clap goodjob clap
Post Sun 27 Mar 2022, 7:44 pm by Kattayl
A huge thank you to Penski and Moonshadow! Without their patient help this story would never have been completed.

Penski likes this post

Post Fri 01 Apr 2022, 5:34 am by Dan Ker
I have to admit, reading the title I was afraid of too many religious contents.... Sorry in advance if my words insult believers.
But, what a town! No question, the entire story could have ended easily in a kind of burning of witches.

Unfortunately, the story still reflects the zeitgeist of some people even in modern times.
And sometimes we learn you can't change people's perception, they only see what they want to see...

Fine idea that everybody's name in the town has a "St." in it.
I don't know if all used names really are saints but actually, I looked for the farmer "St. Isadore". I was delighted to learn St. Isidore was the patron of farmers and rural communities. My congratulations to the research for the story. You see, there can be more in story than you think...

After the first part I already hated the townsfolk for whitewashing a supposedly hero....
I love the idea that it is likely that Kid on one side casually ignores the fact or is oblivious about his new reputation and on the other hand there is a frustrated Heyes, who is not happy about the fact that Kid gets all attention. And not only because they want to keep a low profile, but because it's usually him who is in the center of attention.
The spoiled egg trick is funny in that context.

Also I like the interluded short scenes showing the reaction of the people to Kid's 'miracles'. It is as if the camera and micros catch and focus on the scenes, no need for further explanations.
Though, during the first part, I would have wished to see a little more described interaction between Heyes and Curry.
For example, how does Kid react to "St. Thaddeus needs his rest. It’s past ten already.” Did Kid really ignore Heyes' sarcastic remark?

Once again we notice, according to the rules, the lack of inner thoughts; replaced indirectly with accompanying words like "muttering /mumbling".

The second part starts with a general summary of Kid's "deeds" as a Saint. Good way of reminding the reader what happened altogether and for Heyes to start his tirade, including his great expression of "St. Thaddeus awestruck fan club".

I very much like the moral of the story.
Some people simply don’t abide changes. So true. They are narrow minded and no matter what you say, they don't want to see, "It's more illusion than reality". Therefore, they "find a way to make the truth fit and twist facts."
Almost refreshing Heyes' point of view, "There's a reasonable answer for everything." For the realistic person and planner in him, it is only natural, that mystical talk has a deterrend effect on him .

How do you deal with such kind if people?
I very much like the HH plan and how he turns the tables and beats them at their own game. It's the only way, you will never change their attitude...

Beautiful choice of the town's name, BTW.
Cathair na Naomh= town of the Saints... Saints who prejudice Kid in his favor and prejudice the female doctor and progress in general in a bad way.
I am almost tempted to say they are blinded by the sun (or their narrowed minds), so better wear a hat to see things clearly...

Thank you for a thoughtful story.

Post Fri 08 Apr 2022, 3:07 am by Nightwalker
You're right, Kattayl, Penski and Moonshadow are the best, helping the writers to perfect their stories, and treading us to a new season each year.
Thanks for your first contribution to the virtual season. Lovely idea to blend our current situation with an ASJ adventure. I'm sure the boys were able to help again, and make the world a little bit better.
Post  by Sponsored content

Saint Thaddeus by Kattayl

Page 1 of 1