Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Empty
PostCurried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon

Starring

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Starri11
Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes
and Ben Murphy as Kid Curry

Guest Starring

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Manjot10
Anil Kapoor as Manjot Bhatt

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Chandr10
Parminder Nagra as Chandra Bhatt

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Jaslee11
Naomi Scott as Jasleen Bhatt

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Jayani10
Ayesha Dharker as Jayanit Bhatt

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Harbir10
Danish Farooqui as Harbir Bhatt

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Ennis_10
Tony Papenfuss, William Sanderson, and John Volstad
As Ennis, Jocko, and Buster

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Gray_d10
Warren Oats as Grayson

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon The_gu10
Harry Carey, Jr as Max

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Younge10
Nolan Gould as Stu

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Marsha10
Stuart Whitman as Marshal Ricker

Curried Curry and Heyes - Part 1
by Nell McKeon

A warm, but fierce, October wind howled along a narrow valley.  A turban-topped man wearing a loose, long, tan tunic with bright red and turquoise-colored embroidery and light brown pants drove a team of large, solid-looking draft horses.  The animals pulled a faded painted caravan along the valley floor.  A black-haired head came out half-way though the small door in the front of the caravan behind the driver and called out,

“ਮਨਜੋਤ, ਕੀ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਗੁਆਚ ਗਏ ਹੋ? ਅਸੀਂ ਕਈ ਦਿਨ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਇੱਕ ਕਸਬੇ ਵਿੱਚ ਆਉਣ ਲਈ ਸਫ਼ਰ ਕਰਦੇ ਰਹੇ ਹਾਂ।?”

The driver turned his head to briefly give a look of annoyance at the woman before once again facing front.  “English, Chandra, we need to practice our English now that we are going to be Americans,” he gently admonished in a British-tinged Indian accent.

“Manjot Bhatt – you are a hard taskmaster!  In any language I say the same thing!”  She rolled her eyes at him.  Slowly Chandra added, enunciating each word clearly, “Manjot, are you lost?  We've been traveling to a town for several days now.”

Manjot's voice was matter of fact.  “No, I am not lost.”

His wife humpffed as she narrowed her eyes skeptically at her husband.  She nodded her dark head and pronounced assertively, “Yes, you are.  I saw you studying the map last time we stopped.  You said that we should have been there already.  You did not look happy.”  Chandra pulled her head back into the caravan quickly as Manjot stiffened on the seat.

Her husband shouted back at the disappearing black hair, lightly wrapped in blue silk, “ਮੈਂ ਗੁਆਚਿਆ ਨਹੀਂ ਹਾਂ। ਬਹੁਤ ਵੱਡੇ ਦੇਸ਼ ਵਿੱਚ ਦੂਰੀਆਂ ਬਹੁਤ ਹਨ।!”

“In American, Manjot.  We are in America now,” came drifting through the still open door in an overly sweet voice.

The driver smiled even as he muttered to himself, “English, they speak English in America.  It is not called American.”  Manjot’s voice raised in volume and held notes of exasperation as he replied, “I said, I am not lost, but I may have underestimated the distances in this very big country and…”  Manjot abruptly stopped speaking as the two large, dappled gray Percherons who had been steadily plodding along, suddenly raised their heads with flared nostrils and pricked up their ears.  He looked around quickly.  Brown eyes narrowed as the driver surveyed his surroundings.  His voice became commanding when he turned in his seat towards his left and shouted, “Harbir!  You need to stop walking alongside the wagon and get inside!”

The young male teen, similarly dressed like his father, only with a darker brown fabric, frowned as his steps slowed.  “ਕਿਉਂ ਪਿਤਾ ਜੀ?”

Manjot sighed irritably.  “How many times do I have to tell you and your sisters, as well as your mother, to speak English?  All of you know English quite well from actual Englishmen, who taught in the English school you attended back home, and from those who were customers of our shop.  And the why is because this is an open valley surrounded by wooded bluffs and we are vulnerable to all sorts of highwaymen.  I have read in the newspapers since we arrived in the West that there are areas thick with thieves.  Highwaymen of the worst kind who prey on travelers in trains, coaches, and even in wagons.”

“But we have been traveling along this valley all day, why now?”  Harbir looked up at his father with a mouth set in a frown of dismay and a posture stiff with defiance, but his dark eyes were sparking with genuine interest.

The patriarch of the Sikh Punjabi, and new would-be American family, pointed towards the surrounding low-wooded mountains and high bluffs before centering on the carpet of green flowing down into the valley straight ahead.  He explained patiently, his normally quick speech pattern slowing into a teaching mode.  “Up ahead, the forest extends almost to the valley floor before opening up again.  That would be a good place for thieves to lay in wait to attack travelers along the road.  We must be careful and watchful.”  

Harbir’s eyes narrowed in thought as they traveled along the edge of the trees.  

“I am glad you understand.  I need you to stay with your mother and sisters to protect them as best you can if we need to.”

The young teen straightened up, puffed out his chest, tucked in his chin, and attempted to look manly.  “ਹਾਂ, ਪਿਤਾ ਜੀ, I mean, yes, Father.”  Harbir stood still as the wagon continued on its way, getting ready to jump on the back as it passed.

Manjot called back over his shoulder, meeting his son’s serious eyes.  “Harbir, make sure most of our money is well hidden.  If we are robbed, we need to leave some for them to find, but no more than we can afford to lose.  Your mother and I discussed this; she knows what to do.  I have the business stock taken care of, which we cannot afford to lose if we want to succeed in our new country.  Your uncle in San Francisco is depending upon us to arrive safely in that city with all that we have invested in and brought over from India.”

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

“Come on, we should be able to meet up with the road after we get over the ridge,” Hannibal Heyes urged his lagging partner to catch up as his chestnut gelding picked his way up the rocky, steep, forested slope.  “We lost that posse hours ago,” he stated confidently.

Kid Curry turned in his saddle from studying their back trail and prodded his large, dark bay to draw even with his partner.  They were nearing the crest of the ridge.  As Curry pulled up even with the chestnut, he looked over at the dark-haired rider and nodded once.  

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon 1_heye11

Heyes quickly glanced back over his shoulder and then again at the blond’s face riding beside him.  “What’s the matter?  You didn’t see anyone following, did you?”

“Nope.”

“Then why’re you frowning and looking all serious?  We dodged the bullet, literally and figuratively, on this one.”

“That’s just it, Heyes.  We know there are two active gangs in this area.  The one, who has some members that we happen to know, robbed the railroad north of here.  So naturally, the posse that’s been chasin' them just happens across two better known – and more valuable – train robbers and decides to chase us instead.  I want to shout out to them that we haven’t robbed anything in two years.  Go chase someone that you have a chance of recoverin' the haul from.  But no, all the posse sees is the ten thousand dollars hangin' over each of our heads and that’s more than that whole gang together.  It gets discouragin', that’s all.”

“I know, but it won’t always be like this.  You’ve got to keep the faith.  Our luck is bound to change.”

“Says the odds player who doesn’t believe in luck.  Yeah, sure, with the way our luck has been goin' lately, the second gang will rob a bank in the next town we get to, and we’ll be on the run again.”  Curry slapped his hat down more firmly on his head as the horses reached the crest of the ridge.  Both riders stopped to give their mounts a breather from the steep difficult climb.

The older man let a short laugh escape as he looked at his glum, and cross, partner who was glowering down the ridge in the direction they needed to travel.  He retrieved the canteen hanging from his saddle and unscrewed the top for a quick drink.  “What are the odds that…”

“Don’t say it, Heyes!  ‘Cause the odds don’t apply to us.  Take stagecoaches, for example; you know how many people ride stagecoaches every day and nothin’ ever happens?”  Curry looked up and noticed the smile on his partner’s face, which only served to increase his general ire.  His blue eyes grew stormy, and his face flushed.  “Know how many times that we’ve ridden stages and we’ve been held up?  Well, I’ll tell you.  There was that time with Clint Weaver’s gang.  Remember, him and Charlie Utley were havin’ a shootout on who was gonna turn us in?  Then there was the time that gang held up the stage and stole Leslie O’Hara’s letter and we got stuck takin’ and payin’ for Leslie to go to Denver.

“And what about the time that a gang was after Lom, and we were all tied up and held as bait?  Not to mention that private stagecoach ride with Mr. Hanley guardin’ the filly Hyperia.  I got accused of murder in Santa Marta and came way too close to bein’ stood up in front of a firin' squad.”  Curry slightly shuddered involuntarily and shook his head.  “And then there was the time that I got off a stagecoach and was immediately surrounded by the law and arrested, turned in by Grace Turner.  Plus…”

“Okay, okay!  Point taken.”  Heyes held his left hand up, palm outward, the reins dangling from his fingers.  He couldn’t help chuckling at his partner’s annoyed tirade even though every word the Kid said was true.  Their stagecoach experiences did defy the odds.  “But we’re not riding a stage, and the second gang that’s around here is pretty small-time, from what I hear.”

“That’s what I mean.  If a posse has a choice of chasin’ a bunch of rag-tag, small-time robbers or us, they’re gonna choose us.  It’s not fair, that’s all.”

“Fair?  Since when has life been fair?  Where is this fairness you’re talking about?”

Curry’s blue eyes softened, and a half-grin formed almost unwillingly.  “Nowhere and never.  I do know that and have even said the same to you a time or two.”

“Don’t worry, Kid; at least you stopped frowning.  Believe me, the odds of the bank being hit so soon after the railroad, with a posse possibly in the area, are pretty low.  After all, they ain’t the Devil’s Hole Gang with my brilliant plans for rapid, successive robberies.  We’ll never see them while we’re passing through.”  The brunette kicked his horse into motion again and started on the path that pointed to the more thickly forested area.  That gave them the most cover before coming to the open valley floor.

The partners had descended halfway down the ridge when they reached a bluff that afforded clear sight of their destination.  Heyes gave a cursory glance through the clearing before turning to enter the trees once again.  Not hearing the blond behind him, Heyes turned in his saddle to look and was brought up short at the sight of Curry rising from his saddle into a half-stand posture in the stirrups, still at the vantage point on the small bluff.

The Kid was peering intently at something below, his blue eyes narrowed and focused at a point on the valley floor.  His body stiffened and his jaw clenched, then his right hand drifted to the Colt tied to his right thigh.  He quickly dismounted and scrambled up the small rise, keeping low to the ground.  He lay flat and peered over the edge of the bluff.

Heyes grew alarmed and sat up straight in the saddle, watching his partner closely.  “What is it, Kid?  What do you see?  Is it the posse?  Do you see a problem?”

“Yep, there’s a problem,” the Kid answered distractedly, his attention still firmly focused on the road meandering through the valley below.  

Heyes rode back up to the bluff to check out the situation for himself.  There on the road was a caravan surrounded by a group of men.  He counted under his breath, “Two with rifles, one with a shotgun, and three with pistols makes six.”  Still mumbling to himself, he continued, “It figures; Kid is half right.”  He dismounted and belly-crawled to the edge next to his partner.  His voice rose so he could be heard by Curry, but not carry far afield.  “This must be the second active gang in the area, but it appears they’re robbing people on the road and not the bank.  At least we won’t be accused of this.  The Devil’s Hole Gang never robbed ordinary people and definitely not travelers on a road.”  He shot a glance at the man next to him, who was checking his gun.

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon 2_look10

Curry didn’t answer.  He scooted back from the edge of the bluff, ran to his horse, and jumped in the saddle.  He reached into the saddlebag and withdrew a box of cartridges.  The Kid then rapidly, but methodically, reloaded his gunbelt until it was full, cursing softly, “Shoulda done this earlier.  I know better.”

“Come on, Kid; it’s not our problem.  We’ll stay under cover and ride along the ridge for a while before joining the road.”  Heyes peered closer at the action taking place on the road.  He winced as one of the robbers tore a yellowish scarf from a woman’s head and shoulders revealing a long jet-black braid that hung down to her waist.  “Those might be Indians down there.  Look, they’re all wearing some sort of long shirt and pants, even the girls.  It don’t look exactly like buckskins, but their clothes could be, they’re mostly the right colors.  The guys have some sort of headdress; I don’t know what, but something’s on their heads that’s not a hat.  The last thing we need is to ride to the rescue of Indians and then get skewered by arrows or shot with rifles by their tribe in a misunderstanding.”

Curry looked up from his task and shot a glance at Heyes before focusing on the altercation below.  “Indians or not, they’re still women.  And their men can’t help since they’re bein’ held at gunpoint.  We’re not in Indian country and I don’t see any tribe around to rescue them.  So, we gotta.”  Then he swiftly turned his horse down the slope and took off, swerving through the trees.

“No, we don’t gotta!” Heyes called after him fruitlessly, even as he mounted and spurred his chestnut to follow the dark bay.  “We don’t need this complication, not with a marshal and a posse that still may be in the area.  Kid, there’s six of them!  Kid, do you hear me!?”

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

The leader of the band of small-time bandits spat a glob of tobacco juice, missing the kneeling man in front of him by a few inches.  The roughly dressed ruffian bent down and brandished a fist holding three gold necklace chains and a scant selection of paper bills into the man’s face.  “Is this all you got?”  He called over his shoulder to one of his scruffy friends, “Hey, Ennis, go join Buster and search the inside again.  Look for anything valuable or easy to carry that we can sell and get hard cash for.”

“Sure thing, Jocko.”  Ennis lowered his shotgun and ambled around the back of the stopped caravan.

Jocko withdrew his fist from the kneeling man’s face and pocketed the robbery’s meager spoils.  His jaw worked furiously on his chaw and light brown eyes under a grubby brow narrowed in anger.  A dirty boot lashed out and hit Manjot Bhatt in the chest, causing the Punjab patriarch to tumble backwards.

Manjot heard gasps from his wife and children and scrambled upright as soon as he regained his breath.  He looked towards his family.  His wife Chandra, his daughters – the older girl, Jasleen and the younger girl, Jayanit – were being guarded by two dirty, disheveled men still on their horses.  The two disreputable bandits were pointing their pistols at the women standing in a line a little way from the back of the caravan.

Manjot’s dark eyes met his wife’s wide-eyed and pale, distressed look.  He manufactured a small, half-hearted grin to signal that he was alright.  His gaze then darted to his son, kneeling between him and the women.  With the two bandits in the back, tossing the caravan’s contents around, that left the last one holding a rifle on his son.  Manjot studied the American highwaymen’s faces.  He risked talking to reassure his family.

“ਕੁਝ ਨਾ ਕਰੋ. ਉਹ ਉਸ ਚੀਜ਼ ਨੂੰ ਲੱਭਣ ਦੇ ਨੇੜੇ ਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਕੋਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ। ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਡੇ ਤੋਂ ਕੋਈ ਡਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਲੱਗਦਾ। ਮੈਨੂੰ ਨਹੀਂ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਮਾਰ ਦੇਣਗੇ ਅਤੇ ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਸੌਖੇ ਧਨ ਦੀ ਭਾਲ ਕਰਨਗੇ।.”  {Do not do anything.  They are not even close to finding what they cannot have.  They appear to have no fear of us.  I do not think they will kill us and only seek easy riches.}

The three robbers outside the caravan all exchanged looks between each other and grinned.

“Hey Jocko,” called out a greasy-haired bandit in a battered gray derby.  “What tribe do you think they are?  They’re not from around here.  They don’t have much that we can sell easy without questions.  But those women would bring a nice price south of the border, or maybe even on the Indian reservation.  And we can have a little fun on the way,” he added, ogling the girls.

Manjot spat rapidly between clenched teeth, “ਅਸੀਂ ਅਮਰੀਕੀ ਭਾਰਤੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹਾਂ.”  He caught himself and slowed his speech to speak deliberately.  “We are not your American Indians.”

Gray Derby Man answered derisively, “Hah, you ain’t white, you ain’t chinamen, you ain’t black, and you ain’t Mexican, so that leaves Indian.  Only you’re not any kind of Indian I seen ‘round here, so shut your mouth!”  He jabbed his gun towards the kneeling man for good measure.

Jocko looked over at his derby-wearing gang member and gave his opinion, “Yep, Grayson, they’re Indian alright. And they’re not from a tribe around here by the looks of them.” Jocko waked over to the women standing towards the back of the caravan and stood in front of the middle one in the pale-yellow clothes.  He leered at her as his eyes roved up and down her figure.  His hand rose, and he snatched the yellow scarf from the girl’s shoulders and dropped it.  The scarf fluttered in the blustery wind before landing in the dirt.  “What’s your name, sweetie?”

Jasleen stood still and kept silent.  Her dark eyes darted between the bandit pawing her and her family.  Her mouth remained clamped shut and she stiffly leaned away from the malodorous man.

“Never mind, it doesn’t matter.  As a whore in Mexico or a slave on the reservation, you’ll be called whatever your buyer wants to call you.”  Jocko laughed at the girl’s small acts of defiance and holstered his revolver.  He grabbed her wrist and started to drag her to Grayson's horse. “Max, you keep guardin’ the men. We don’t want no trouble from them.”

Manjot Bhatt started to rise off his knees at the same time Harbir lashed out with both hands and knocked his guard’s rifle out of the man’s grip.  The teen shot forward in an effort to reach Jasleen.  Max bent and grabbed hold of the rifle barrel and swung the weapon hard, hitting the boy’s head, knocking him to the ground where he lay still.

“Nobody move or I’ll shoot,” shouted Stu, the youngest robber, who had been silently observing while covering the little group with a revolver from his horse.  “And at this distance, I’m not likely to miss anybody.”  He slid off the saddle to stand threateningly with a wide stance, face set in a sneer, and pointing his weapon at Manjot.  

Manjot sank back to his knees and peered anxiously at his son on the ground as his wife cried out in distress.

Chandra swiftly raised one hand and aborted the forward motion to bring it to cover her mouth.  “ਤੁਸੀਂ ਵਹਿਸ਼ੀ, ਮੈਨੂੰ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਚਿਹਰੇ ਤੋਂ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਿੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਥੱਪੜ ਮਾਰ ਦੇਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ.”  {You barbarians!  I should slap those looks right off you face.}

Chandra and Jayanit huddled closer together when they became an object of interest by Ennis and Buster, who had been ransacking the caravan.  The two men came up behind them, holding the girls' arms with one hand while the other was roving over their bodies.  A blue scarf and a burnt orange and gold scarf were flung away into the stiff breeze.

The leader’s decision made, he got a tighter grip on Jasleen and, fighting the struggling woman, managed to hand her up to Grayson, who pulled the girl in front of him on the horse.  Jocko turned from the horse and gave his orders.  “Tie the man and boy up.  We’ll leave them here.  It’ll be a while before they’re found, and we’ll be long gone.  Load the women on horses and tie their hands, then let’s go.”

The men sprang into action.  Ennis and Buster stopped fondling the women.  Buster pushed Jayanit towards Stu's horse.

“Get her up on the horse,” Jocko continued, “while me and Ennis go find something to tie everyone up with in the caravan.  Yeah, I like that; tied up with their own things.”

Bang, Bang, Bang.  

The rifle flew from Max's hand, who was pacing between Manjot and the women being loaded onto the horses.  He stood still for a few moments in confusion.  He shook his red, stinging hand while watching his prisoner scramble across the short distance to his son.  Manjot hurriedly pulled himself and Harbir under the caravan while Max was occupied retrieving his damaged weapon.

Then Stu grabbed his suddenly bloody, and painful, right bicep, shouting loudly, “*&^%#* where did that come from?  Did one of you idiots shoot me?”  He lost his hold on Jayanit, looked to see where the shots had come from, then ran to the other side of his horse.  

Jayanit stumbled, then righted herself.  She caught sight of her father beckoning her to join him and Harbir under the caravan and ran to join them.

Manjot’s steady voice could be heard over the sound of incoming hoofbeats, whinnying horses, the dull roar of the ever-present wind and the robbers shouting curses.  “ਐਥੇ ਆਓ. ਅਸੀਂ ਗੋਲੀਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਕੁਝ ਹੱਦ ਤੱਕ ਸੁਰੱਖਿਅਤ ਰਹਾਂਗੇ ਜਦੋਂ ਤੱਕ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਪਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਕਿ ਕੀ ਹੋ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ.”  {Come here.  We will be somewhat protected from the bullets until we know what is happening.}  Chandra was already with them; somehow, she had managed to crawl to safety and join most of her family under their traveling home.

Jocko spun around after his hat went flying off, one hand rapidly traveling to pat around his head and the other fumbling to draw his revolver.

Two horses burst from the trees and were thundering across the open valley straight towards the caravan.  The blond, in front, had his Colt out and aimed at the little band of bandits.  The following brunette was laying low across his chestnut’s neck, speeding up in a trajectory to cut off the robbers’ escape route as he simultaneously drew his revolver.

The two gang members at the back dove into the caravan and scrambled to return fire from under cover.  “Who are those guys?  The law?  What’re we gonna do, Jocko?” came an angry high-pitched shout from Buster, who was turning as red as his hair.

The robbers who were left in the open struggled to return fire at the incoming riders, zigzagging in a run for cover.

Jocko shouted tensely, “Shoot them!”  His head swiveled to look in every direction in a panic before he took off at a run.  The leader’s left knee buckled, and he fell face first, howling and skidding along the hard ground.  Blood blossomed from the outside of his thigh and his revolver went flying from his hand.

Max crouched down, forcibly flinging the damaged rifle away and crawled towards Jocko’s revolver.  

Bang!  

Dust kicked up in Max's face.  He changed directions to slink towards the Percheron draft horses who were flicking their ears to and fro, standing erect and stamping their feet.  They hadn’t moved more than a few feet from where they originally stopped.  

Bang!  

Dust kicked up again in his face.  Max tentatively swiped at his cheek, then brought shaking fingers in front of his eyes.  He saw blood and stopped moving, lying flat on the ground with his eyes tightly closed.

Heyes cut off the fleeing gray derby-wearing Grayson that still had a firm hold on the girl in the pale-yellow clothes and chased them back to the robbery site under the steady aim of his Schofield.  He spotted the rest of the victims under the caravan as he drew near.  He looked up just as his partner jumped from the stirrups onto the roof of the caravan.

“Joshua!  Cover them.  Don’t forget about the one behind the horse.  I’ll get the two inside,” Curry called from on top of the caravan as he reloaded his Colt.  His boots thudded across the roof, towards the back.  The Kid then sunk to his knees, and stretched flat out, facing the front of the vehicle.  He slid noiselessly along the top to hang upside down from his waist over the front.  The front small hatch door was slightly ajar.  Curry eased the door slowly open with the barrel of his Colt and peered in, spotting the backs of Ennis and Buster.  Pulling himself back up, the Kid scooted around and prepared to drop down onto the driver’s seat.

Buster and Ennis cowered in the caravan, guns at the ready, pointing out the back.  Ennis whispered to his cohort, “I’ve got the shotgun; I’ll aim straight back in case he jumps and winds up in front of us.  You aim up and give him a face full of lead if he so much as peeks over the back.”  They got into place.

“Toss the gun.  Two fingers only.  Now, get down off the horse and check on you friends.  You, behind the horse – come join the rest of your gang on the ground,” ordered Heyes, keeping one eye on the mounted robber in the gray derby and the two moaning, wounded men flat on the ground.  Grayson tossed his revolver to the side.  Jasleen started to struggle and pulled on the leather ties binding her wrists to the saddle horn.  Heyes noticed.  “Untie her first.”

The Kid dropped, booted feet hitting the seat boards, and quickly crouched in front of the open hatch door, sending a bullet into the narrow space between the heads of Ennis and the red-headed Buster.  “Drop the guns, boys.”

Buster turned and aimed at the Kid, but before he could pull the trigger, he jerked back, falling onto the side of the caravan.  The rifle dropped into the mess of the family’s ransacked belongings from his suddenly limp fingers.  Buster’s left hand clamped onto the top of his right shoulder and was soon slick with warm blood.

Ennis had tumbled out of the back of the caravan from the force and shock of a bullet skimming his shoulder.  His trigger finger tightened reflexively, and the shotgun went off in the direction of the gathering gang and the dark-haired rescuer.

Stu came from behind the horse and was slowly walking in the direction Heyes indicated.  He faltered, stumbled, and then spun around, facing the back of the caravan.  Dark brown eyes narrowed in anger and disbelief.  “%$#*%&*!  What the hell, Ennis!?  I can’t believe you did that!  I’m already shot without you adding more holes with that scattergun of yours!” cursed Stu as small blood spots started to sprout up along his outer left side.  

Heyes ducked instinctively.  Straightening up, he did a quick self-check.  His dark eyes darted around the area, touching on each gang member.  Tense with anger, he muttered under his breath, “I swear to God, Kid, you’re lucky there’re no holes!  Couldn’t you have shot the shotgun outta his hand?  I hate shotguns!”

While Heyes’ attention was diverted by Ennis' shotgun blast, Grayson took off on his horse with Jasleen still mounted, but not tied to the horn, in front of him.

“JASLEEN!” Chandra and Manjot screamed in unison from under the caravan.

Curry jumped down and ran rapidly around the caravan.  He kicked the shotgun under the wagon and reached in to grab the rifle, then tossed it to join the shotgun.  He pulled Buster out of the back.  “Here, put this towel on your shoulder and press hard.  I only hit you across the top so it shouldn’t be too bad.”  The Kid turned his attention to Ennis and prodded him with his boot.  “You, too.  Get up.  It’s only a graze.  You’ll both live.”

“Thaddeus, the girl!” Heyes called to his partner as Curry rounded the back of the caravan, herding his two captives.  “I’ve got this.  Go!”

Kid Curry ran to his bay and jumped in the saddle, kicked the gelding into a gallop, and swiftly took off after the retreating gang member and his victim.

Heyes took charge, his voice was low and commanding, his eyes hard and focused.  “Okay now, this is how we're going to handle things.  All the robbers get on the ground over here.”  Maintaining a tall, balanced, ready stance, he pointed with his Schofield to where Jocko, Max, and Stu were located.

Ennis and Buster shuffled over to their cohorts and plopped down beside the other three wounded men.  The five of them sat in a huddle, shoulders slumped, grimacing in pain, and glowering at the dark-haired man holding them at gunpoint.

“You, under the caravan, you can come out now; it’s safe,” Heyes called to the family, who were silently watching from their sheltered position, without taking his eyes from the robbers.

Manjot Bhatt emerged first and cautiously looked around as he stood up.  Seeing that his rescuer had the situation well in hand, he spoke to his family, “ਇਹ ਸੁਰੱਖਿਅਤ ਹੈ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਹੁਣ ਬਾਹਰ ਆ ਸਕਦੇ ਹੋ।.”  {It is safe.  You can come out now.}

Chandra, Jayanit, and Harbir slowly crawled out.  The two women helped steady Harbir as he staggered a step or two when he stood up, blinking in the bright sun.  Chandra grabbed her husband’s arm, her fingers whitening as her grip tightened.  Her dark eyes widened as they roamed searchingly over the open valley and into the trees that the fleeing robber and his pursuer had disappeared into.  “ਮਨਜੋਤ, ਜਸਲੀਨ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਵਾਪਸ ਲੈਣ ਜਾ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ!”  {Manjot, we have to get Jasleen back!}

Manjot’s brow furrowed, and his eyes seemed to darken as he replied, “ਚੰਦਰਾ.”  He half- turned towards his rescuer, while laying a large, strong hand over his wife’s on his forearm.  “In English, Chandra, our rescuer does not understand our language.  Don’t worry, we will get Jasleen back even if I have to follow the highwayman to the ends of this vast country.”

“Don’t worry, ma’am, my partner will bring your daughter – Jasleen, is it?  My partner will bring Jasleen back,” Heyes assured the family group.  “Allow me to introduce myself.  I’m Joshua Smith and the blond fella that went after them is Thaddeus Jones.  We were on our way to the next town when we spotted your trouble.”

“Thank you, sir.  I am Manjot Bhatt, my wife Chandra, our younger daughter Jayanit, our son Harbir and our oldest daughter Jasleen is the one Mr. Jones is pursuing.  We are Punjab Sikhs from the north of India.  We have traveled halfway around the world to make a new life in your country.  My brother is already settled and doing quite well in San Francisco and my family is joining him in business there.  We thank you deeply from our heart.”  The patriarch bowed slightly in front of the ex-outlaw.

Heyes’ brown eyes roved over the family, studying them carefully.  He shifted his feet, and his unoccupied left hand pushed his hat back further on his head before tapping thinned lips a time or two.  “You’re welcome and good luck in your new life.  Right now, though, do you have anything that I can tie up these men with while we decide what to do with them?  Like rope or leather strips?”

Manjot nodded.  “Harbir, find some rope for Mr. Smith.  Chandra, Jayanit, see if you can start to make some order out of the mess these highwaymen made.”

Harbir took a step towards the front of the caravan before stopping, turning around to find his father’s eyes.  He eagerly pleaded while swaying slightly from foot to foot.  “I could take one of the horses to follow them.  I could help rescue Jasleen.  Father, please let me go.”

Jayanit and Chandra looked up from retrieving their soiled dupattas.  Jayanit’s large, dark eyes widened with hope and her face brightened.  Chandra straightened up and the hand holding the blue and yellow dupattas drifted to the middle of her chest, her face a mixture of pride, hope, and fear.  She looked for her husband’s reaction.

The Punjab wiped the beginnings of a small smile of pride from his face as he shot a glance over his shoulder towards the forested slopes of the valley’s side.  He turned back to his family.  “No, Harbir.”  

Jayanit’s hopeful expression fell, while Chandra blinked, and her mouth tightened before they turned back to the task of collecting the family’s strewn belongings.  

“It is noble of you to want to help your sister against such men with guns, Harbir, but Mr. Jones’ and Mr. Smith’s horses are riding horses.  They appear to be swift steeds.  Our horses are draft work horses.  The Percherons are big, strong, steady, and will never quit a pursuit, but they are not fast.  The highwayman already has much time and distance ahead of you.  No, we must trust these good men who stopped to help travelers in need.”

~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by royannahuggins on Thu 21 Apr 2022, 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon
Post Wed 20 Apr 2022, 11:21 pm by royannahuggins
Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon 3_kid_12

The Kid leaned over the horse's black mane and shouted words of encouragement into the gelding’s ear, “You go, boy!  He’s ridin’ double.  We can easily catch them.”  The dark bay galloped on, quickly covering the ground towards the trees.  Curry alternated his mount between a canter and a gallop as he divided his attention between the plainly visible tracks of the fleeing robber and intently peering into the distance.  He squinted a little into the western afternoon sun.  He slowed to a trot as the tree line approached.

“Okay now, horses aren’t sneaky and quiet and he’s gonna hear us comin’ so let’s not give him time to set up an ambush.”  The Kid patted the sweaty neck of dark bay and followed the trail into the trees as quickly as he dared.  Sharp, blue eyes narrowed, and the square jaw set in determination as Curry caught a flash of moving colors not far ahead.  He drew his .45 and continued.

“Sit still, you little b***h.  You’re not goin’ nowhere ‘cause you’re my ticket outta this situation.”  The fleeing robber tightened his grip on the struggling girl in front on him.  Jasleen grimaced in pain and disgust at the excessive squeeze the man was using and his overwhelming body odor.  She stopped squirming in the saddle and breathed as shallowly as she could through her mouth.

Grayson spurred his horse to go faster swerving through the trees.  He glanced over his shoulder at the sound of a following horse to gauge the incoming threat, then pulled the girl even tighter against him.  He put his mouth to Jasleen’s ear.  “Two on a horse can’t outrun a single rider.  I don’t know who this guy is, but I bet he won’t shoot and take the chance of hittin’ you.  So, we’re gonna keep goin’ until I can find a spot to pull up and shoot him from some kinda cover.”  He fumbled in his coat pocket and drew out a small derringer.  “This isn’t too accurate, but it’s got big bullets.  Don’t get your hopes up, girl.  If I aim at the middle, it can blow a nice huge hole somewhere in that guy if he gets close enough.”  Grayson laughed malevolently into Jasleen’s dark hair.

“Hey – you in the derby – stop where you are!” the Kid called out as he drew closer and could make out the riders on the swerving horse among the trees.

Grayson yanked hard on the reins to make a sharp turn left into a denser clump of trees, an action which caused the horse to slide and almost lose his footing, banging into a tree.  He semi-turned in the saddle, keeping a tight grip on the frightened girl and raised his derringer into shooting position, but kept it hidden between his stomach and the girl’s back.  

“Get ready to say goodbye to your rescuer.  He just needs to get a little closer and bang! – he’s dead.  Lawmen don’t shoot when there’s a gal hostage.”  The robber suddenly screwed up his face, pulling his dark brows down into a deeper frown.  “Although, I don’t even know if he is a lawman, and with you bein’ Indian, maybe a dead Indian won’t bother him.  Nah, he wouldn’t have come after us if he didn’t care.”

“Stop, and let the girl go!” Kid Curry yelled out in his most dangerous I-mean-business outlaw voice.  He watched as the robber’s horse faltered and slammed up against a tree when the man in the gray derby swerved to the left.  Curry took aim, muttering, “So you need a little convincin’, do you?”  

Bang!

The gray derby went flying from the robber’s head.  His eyes widened and he scrunched down in the saddle, pulling hard on the reins to turn his horse to face the pursuer.  His right hand brought the derringer up and out from between Jasleen and him.

Bang!  

The derringer dropped from the robber’s hand as blood dripped down from his forearm.  A grunt of pain escaped from clenched, compressed lips.  His eyes widened in panic.  He hissed, “He wants you – he can have you!  You’re gettin’ off and I’ve got to get out of here ‘cause whoever he is, he’s too darn good.”  Grayson hastily pushed Jasleen off to the side.  He managed to fling her to ground and drove his spurs hard into his mount’s sides, taking off further into the forest.

Jasleen tumbled to the ground and rolled a few times until she came to rest up against an emory oak.  She lay still for a few moments, catching her breath then struggled to sit up against the trunk of the tree.

Curry’s hard blue eyes tracked the retreating robber as he rode up to Jasleen.  The Kid holstered his Colt, dismounted, then stooped to scoop up a shoe that had come off in the fall and slowly approached the girl.  He held his hands up, palms outward, the shoe dangling from his fingertips.  “I’m not goin’ to hurt you.  Do you speak English?”

Jasleen nodded and responded back with her natural accent tinged with British English pronunciation.  “Yes, I know your language well.”

The Kid’s mouth dropped open in surprise and he quickly closed it, while looking more closely at the woman on the ground.  He crouched down, put the shoe on the ground next to her, reached for her hands, winced at the red marks around her wrists and rubbed her small, delicate hands between his larger, rougher ones.  “My name is Thaddeus.  My partner back there helpin’ your family is Joshua Smith.  I’ll take you back, if you don’t mind gettin’ up on another horse and ridin’ double?”  His blue eyes met her curious brown ones and held there for a few seconds before he stood up and extended a hand for her to grasp.

“I don’t ride horses or have not until now.”  Jasleen uncertainly eyed the big dark bay standing near, while she slipped on her returned footwear.  She grabbed hold of the Kid’s hand and he pulled her to her feet.

“I know he looks big, but it’ll be fine.  I’ll put you in front of me so you can hold the saddle horn and feel more secure.”  He put a hand gently on her back and guided her to the horse, boosted her into the saddle, and climbed up behind her.  Curry was careful to seat himself as far back as he could, almost sitting squarely on the cantle, leaving space between them.  Jasleen peered over her shoulder and into big blue pools of calm gentleness.  Her posture relaxed a little and she let herself slide off the seat rise into the seat proper, her back coming to rest against the Kid’s chest.

The rescuer and the rescued started on the trek back to the caravan.

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

“Look, someone’s coming!” Harbir announced to the group.  He pointed into the distance to where a lone horse with two riders had exited the trees at the lower end of the slope.

Heyes quickly turned from searching the bound bandits’ pockets and peered into the distance.  “It’s Thaddeus with Jasleen,” he confirmed.  A jumble of money and a few gold chains were still clutched tightly in his fist, which he hastily shoved at Manjot Bhatt.  

Manjot took his stolen belongings back and nodded at Heyes.  “Thank you for rescuing my belongings; everything seems to be here.”

Chandra and Jayanit stuck their heads out from the back of the caravan before descending the fold-down stairs.  “Manjot?  Does she look alright?” Chandra inquired anxiously.

It wasn’t long before the riders entered the temporary camp.  The anxiously awaiting partner walked up to meet the pair and helped Jasleen off the horse.  The Bhatts surrounded their returned family member and a jumble of excited rapid conversation in their native language took place.

Curry slid off the saddle and walked his horse to tie him up next to his partner’s.  The two ex-outlaws then strode a way from camp where they could keep an eye on things but not be overheard by the Bhatts.

“I have no idea what they’re sayin’, but I hope it’s good.  I see you have things well under control and the gang nicely tied up.  What are we goin’ to do about that, Heyes?”

The brunette rubbed a hand across his face and massaged his temples before his hands came to rest on his hips.  “It’s a dilemma, isn’t it?  I don’t relish taking five wounded men on the trip to town, which is going to take a day, possible two.  Then there's the part about turning them in to the sheriff.”

The Kid was nodding his head in agreement.  “Yeah, they don’t know who we are, but any encounter with a sheriff gives me the willies.  But can we let them go?  What will the family say if we don’t bring them in to the law?”

The older partner angrily glanced to the side at the injured and bound robbers lined up against the caravan.  He looked back at the Kid; anger turned to annoyance showing on his face for the younger man getting them into this situation.  “I’ve been working on that.  We're gonna get them up on their horses and headed north or wherever they want to find a doctor.  They need one and I don’t care what direction they head, as long as it’s not south along the road.  Come on, we have to go tell the Bhatts what’s going on.”

The partners headed over to the family group.  Heyes coughed to gain their attention.  The huddle around Jasleen Bhatt opened and the family turned towards their rescuers with smiles of gratitude on their faces.

“Oh Mr. Smith, your friend Thaddeus was wonderful!  He was so brave riding after that terrible man to rescue me!”  Jasleen rushed over to the blond and took hold of his hand to drag him closer to her family.  The words tumbled out in an admiring rush, “I have told the story of how he raced after us on his big horse.  He wasn’t afraid even though the highwayman was going to shoot and kill him with this little gun with big bullets he had in his pocket.  When I was thrown to the ground, Thaddeus was so gentle and kind.  He helped me not to be afraid of his big horse.”

Curry was smiling and a pink blush was coloring his fair complexion.  He whispered an aside to his non-impressed partner, “The guy had a .54 caliber hold-out derringer.”

Heyes stood there with a blank expression and whispered sternly back, “She might have been a damsel in distress, but you are not her knight in shining armor.  Don’t encourage her.  Now, start getting that bunch of misguided thieves on their horses while I talk to the Bhatts.”

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon Unimpr10

The faces of the injured thwarted thieves showed resignation and surliness when the blond came over and pulled Stu to his feet.  He checked the makeshift bandage Heyes had fashioned to make sure the bleeding was controlled before searching the man for any hidden weapons.  When he felt carefully around the young thief’s boot, he removed a small, but sharp, knife and tossed it on the pile of confiscated robbers' weapons.  Curry next assisted the young man onto his horse, which was tied to the caravan wheel, before repeating the process with the next robber in line.

The Punjab patriarch watched as the blond searched, untied, and then got the robbers on their horses.  He turned to the dark-haired man who had taken charge of the situation.  “We will take them to the law in your country, yes?”

Heyes faced Manjot Bhatt.  “No, we are letting them go to seek medical attention.”  He watched as Manjot’s face darkened and his eyes narrowed in anger and held up a hand to stop the impending explosion of discontent he saw brewing.  He pulled the Punjab off to the side, out of hearing of the injured robbers.  

“Wait and think.  It's at least a day’s journey to the next town down the road.  We won’t get there until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.  That means we’ll have to guard and take care of five injured outlaws and there's only Thaddeus and me.  Plus, there's the sixth member of their gang still on the loose, that Thaddeus let get away in order to get Jasleen back to you as soon as possible.”

“Harbir and I can help guard our prisoners!” Manjot argued back heatedly.

Heyes dropped his volume further to explain, using his leader’s voice and a square confident stance.  He looked directly into the Punjab’s eyes while he talked and exuded confidence in his logic for his decision.  “You probably could, but they’ll still be caught without us going through the trouble and risk of keeping them with us.  Listen, they’re all shot up and will need to get to a doctor.  There aren’t that many towns in this area, even less with a doctor in it.  We get to the next town.  You tell the sheriff in that town your story and give a good description of the thieves.  The sheriff wires the surrounding towns’ law to be on the lookout for injured men matching your description and they will be caught.”

Harbir had come over to listen to the quiet conversation between his father and the dark-haired rescuer.  He leaned in and nodded at his father’s assertion that he could be a guard and drew himself up to his full height, standing as tall as he could make himself.

“Joshua,” Curry called as he stood by the thieves’ horses with his thumbs tucked into his gunbelt.  “I’ve got them ready to go.  Want me to turn them loose now?  They’ve been told which direction not to go.  I warned them of the consequence if we see them again.”  The Kid let his eyes go glacial and his facial expression fall into his gunman’s mask as he watched the gang.  He dropped his right hand and drew the Colt, gave it fancy twirl, and let it drop back into the holster.  “Right, guys?”

The gang of injured thieves all nodded immediately and then looked expectantly at the dark-haired rescuer, their postures on their mounts uncomfortable and awkward, but their eyes held a note of hope.

Jocko spoke up as he rubbed his punctured thigh that was hanging free from the stirrup.  “We ain’t gonna bother you no more.  All we’re gonna do is to go somewhere to heal up.”

Heyes' eyes met Manjot’s and he gave the patriarch a small, knowing smile.  Manjot nodded his assent.  “Yeah, Thaddeus.  Let them loose to find a doctor on their own.  They didn’t get anything but hurt for their troubles.”

The rescuers and rescuees stood still for some moments and watched the thwarted thieves ride slowly up the road to the north.

The ex-outlaw partners gathered up the unsuccessful robbers' confiscated weaponry into a bundle.  Heyes then pushed the bundle of arms under the driver’s seat of the caravan while the Kid went to gather their horses.

Chandra nudged her husband and raised on her toes to speak into his ear.  Her husband let his eyes drift to the underside of the caravan, then lighting on his family members one by one before focusing on the partners, who were preparing to mount up.

“You are not leaving now?” The patriarch stated in a voice tinged with disbelief and disapproval.

Jayanit and Jasleen widened their eyes and shot coy glances at the handsome and brave partners before letting their eyes drop to the ground.  They watched the duo’s reactions from under long, dark eyelashes peering up.

The dark-haired partner responded from atop his chestnut.  “Well, yes; we are.  The robbers are gone and I don’t believe they’ll bother you again.  So, we’ll be on our way.”  He noticed the Kid had not mounted and was standing by his dark bay, looking at the women.  Heyes rolled his eyes and mumbled quietly so only his impulsive partner could hear, “No, we are not getting sucked into this family’s issues.”

Manjot spoke quickly to Joshua Smith, but his eyes were focusing on Thaddeus Jones.  “We are vulnerable and defenseless, and I realize we need protection in this area thick with highwaymen thieves.  I have a business proposition for you.  I will hire you as guards.”

“We’re going the same way, anyway.  At least see how much he’s offerin’,” the Kid murmured from beside his partner’s horse.

Heyes sighed in resignation.  “How much are you paying?”

“Come, get off your horse and we will negotiate.”  The Punjab smiled and rubbed his hands together a few times before extending the right one towards the dark-haired rescuer.  “It depends on how you want to get paid.  Follow me.”  Manjot turned on his heel and strode towards the back of the caravan.

“What did he mean 'how do we want to get paid'?” the Kid whispered as he took the chestnut’s reins when the rider dismounted and threw them at him.

“I don’t know what he means.  But the answer is money, Kid.  The answer is always cold, hard cash.  Since we’re going south anyway, a little cash for the ride taking a longer won’t hurt.”

The partners found the Bhatt family in the caravan.  Chandra was sitting on the top step, watching for them.  She eyed them critically and let her gaze rove up and down each man.  She nodded to her husband, who then started moving belongings to clear an area towards the front of the caravan.  “Come on in, Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones,” Chandra gestured with her hand an invite to enter the family’s living space.

Manjot looked up from his bent-over position, reaching down under the caravan floor boards.  The muscles of his back, shoulders and arms showing strain as he lifted a small, but apparently heavy for its size, valise from a hidden compartment.  He then handed the valise to Harbir.  The two Punjab males continued the process until there were three valises, each a different size, lying on the floor of the caravan.

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry knelt opposite the Bhatts.  The women moved out of the way and watched the proceedings.

“In the area that we are from in my country, the Bhatt family is well-known and respected as purveyors of fine jewelry.  If things go as we planned, it will be the same in San Francisco.  My older brother is already there and has set up the shop and is starting well.  I stayed behind to close our shop in Ludhiana and bring over to your country materials that we will work with until we can find trustworthy suppliers.”  The Punjab drew the smallest of the valises towards him.  He drew the chain around his neck, mostly hidden under his tunic, and selected one of several small brass keys.  He opened the valise and displayed the contents.

Harbir spoke up, his voice conveying a mixture of reverence and pride.  “These are the tools of our trade; some have been passed on for generations.  I just started my apprenticeship with my father and am learning the secrets of their use.”  He reverently glided his hand over the contents of small valise.

Manjot closed and locked the small valise and scooted over to the two slightly larger valises.  He tugged them closer, unlocked, and opened the remaining valises, throwing open the lids to dramatically reveal the inside.

The partners’ eyes grew wide as saucers.  Heyes’ jaw dropped and his hand involuntarily reached out before he became aware of the gesture and dropped his hand to rest on his knee.

A soft “Whoa!” followed by a whistle escaped from the Kid.

“It’s gold, Ki– Thaddeus; it’s gold!” the dark-haired partner exclaimed in admiring wonderment with more than a hint of lust.  Smiling, his eyes focused on the nearest valise, which was filled with gold ingots, gold wire, and gold solder of many different sizes and hues.  There was also a smaller stash of silver and brass.  Chains of different lengths and styles were neatly stored in the valise lid.  The precious metals reflected the afternoon sunlight streaming in through the small caravan’s windows, capturing Heyes’ attention.

“I can see that, Joshua.  What’s in the bags?”  Curry pointed to the third valise that was filled with cloth pouches of several colors.  The lid of this valise was filled with brooches, pendants and earrings pinned to the black velvet lining.

“Hold out your hand,” directed Manjot.

The Kid extended his left hand, palm up.

The Punjab selected a blue silk, a green silk, a black velvet, and a red velvet pouch from the third valise, leaving velvet and silk pouches of yellow, orange, chartreuse, purple, pink, silver, and dark indigo lying in the valise.  He opened the pouches and poured a small amount of the pouches’ contents into Curry’s open palm.  “These are some of the finest rubies and sapphires from Burma and the Kashmir, emeralds from Ceylon, and diamonds from Africa.  There is also alexandrite, tourmaline, moonstones, yellow sapphires, and other precious and semi-precious stones,” Manjot explained.  “These three valises contain almost all my family’s wealth.  This is why you will be our guards.”

Heyes snapped out of his rapturous gaze of the gold and his head spun around to look the Punjab in the face.  “You’ve been traveling from Saint Louis in a caravan without guns and without guards?”  His voice rose in pitch as incredulousness showed clearly in his face.  Heyes, and Curry, who still held out his hand full of precious gems as if in offering, shared a look of disbelief.

The Kid closed his fist around the gems and let them slowly pour in Manjot’s lap.  “You shouldn’t be travelin’ alone in this territory, unarmed and unprotected.  It’s not safe,” he pronounced, shaking his head in disapproval of the Bhatt’s travel plans.  Curry captured his cousin’s eye meaningfully, his own eyes taking on a stubborn glint.  

The older partner hissed half under his breath to the man kneeling next to him.  “Oh alright, I know when to fold.  Besides, I half agree with you.”  He raised his voice and looked Manjot Bhatt full in the face.  “Thaddeus is right.  Traveling by caravan alone through the territory with your family and your family’s wealth is madness.”

The elder Bhatt interrupted, “We have been selling the less expensive pieces along the way, so we do not need to deplete our funds.  My wife and daughters are getting good prices.  You Americans do not seem to be very hard negotiators.”

Heyes elbowed the Kid in the side and rolled his eyes before pointedly looking at Manjot when Curry’s head slowly turned from gazing at the women by the door.  He muttered to himself, “If the buyers are as susceptible as Thaddeus to feminine wiles, I’m not surprised.”  His attention once again fully focused on the Punjab.  “That’s a plan that, in theory, might have some merit in different circumstances.  However, it’s time for a new plan.  Your new plan is to take the railroad from the next town.”  

“The caravan and horses can be sold to the livery or a private buyer if we can find one.  The money from the sale will cover the cost of tickets and freight to San Francisco.  You will most likely have to change trains, but the railroad will get you there and get you there much quicker and safer than traveling in a caravan.  You can sell some of your wares at the train stations or somewhere in the towns the train stops in along the way.”  Heyes leaned back onto his heels, satisfied with sending the Bhatts on a safer journey.

“Thaddeus and I will accompany you to the next town for ten dollars a day,” the dark-haired partner added when the Bhatts didn’t immediately say anything in return, but just sat there looking expectantly at the partners.

“Apiece,” added the Kid.

Manjot shook his head negatively.  “That is too much in American money,” he flatly stated.

Heyes drew in a breath to start arguing, but Manjot continued before the ex-outlaw could get a word out.  “If you want to be paid in money, then I will pay five dollars a day for the two of you, not each.”

Heyes frowned and the Kid directed his full attention to the negotiation.

“If you want to be paid in gold, I can pay the equivalent of ten dollars a day for the both of you to San Francisco.”

“Fifteen dollars a day until the next town, in gold for the both of us.”

“In gold, fifteen dollars a day until the next town and then ten dollars a day until San Francisco.  For the two of you.”

“Okay, fifteen dollars in gold until the town.  It shouldn’t take us longer than two days, starting now.”  Heyes stuck out his right hand, which Manjot grabbed in a handshake to seal the deal.

The Kid rose from his knees.  “Well, now that’s decided, I guess we should all make ready to leave.  I don’t favor stayin’ put here for the night.”

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon 4_wago10

Jasleen sat demurely in the open doorway of the rear of the caravan as it lumbered along the road south.  She called out over the din of horses’ clomping hoofbeats and the creaking of the iron-clad wooden wheels along the rutted hard-packed dirt road.  “Thaddeus?”

The blond rear guard kicked his horse from a walk into a trot until he was closer to the Bhatt’s conveyance.  “Yeah?  You wanted me?”

“Thaddeus, thank you, again, for rescuing me from those horrible highwaymen.”

“You’re welcome, ma’am.”

“Jasleen, please call me Jasleen.”  Dark eyelashes fluttered prettily from her coffee with cream complexioned face.

A large, bright, white smile beamed back.  “It was my pleasure, Jasleen.”

“Thaddeus, I’m glad you and Mr. Smith are guarding us on our journey to San Francisco.  I know we will be safe with you with us.”

“Uhh, ma’am – Jasleen – we only agreed to guard you until the next town where you can take the train to San Francisco.”

“But Thaddeus, my father said that there are highwaymen that rob trains in the West.  Is this not true?  We are traveling with valuable precious metals and gems for our future in America.  Highwaymen have already tried to rob us once.  What will we do on a train?”

Kid Curry resituated his hat on his head and unconsciously dropped his right hand to rest on the butt of his revolver.  His eyes roved the countryside and looked everywhere but at the oldest Bhatt daughter’s face.  “You should be fine.  You know that most trains don’t get robbed.  And if they do, train robbers just want what’s in the safe or they might go through the cars and take valuables from the passengers.  They usually don’t have time to bother with openin’ and goin’ through luggage.”

“My father will not let the valises out of his sight, and they are locked.  What if the train robbers take them to open later?  My father and brother will not let them be stolen without a fight.  They could be killed.”

“The odds are that your family will have nothin’ to worry about.”  The Kid choked on the last words as his face grew pensive.  Blond brows drew into a V and his blue eyes unfocused for a moment.

Jalseen sat up straighter in the rear doorway, readjusted the dupatta that has hanging down her back to once again cover the back of her head, and her hand tightened around her duppata tail hanging down her chest.  “I hope you are right.  But I know my family, especially Jayanit and I, will feel much safer if you and Mr. Smith are with us.  I do not want to be taken away by a mean, dirty, smelly highwayman again.”  She shuddered slightly before slumping down in the doorway.

Curry caught the slight shudder of Jasleen out of the corner of his eye.  He peered into the caravan trying to glimpse the two women inside.  He steered his horse slightly to the side and looked past Manjot and Habir sitting in the driver’s seat to stare hard at the back of his partner riding in the front.  The Kid dropped back to once again be within talking distance with Jasleen.  “Don’t worry, we’ll see you to San Francisco.”  A reassuring smile spread slowly across his face, which Jasleen returned with a contented smile of her own.

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

The brunette rider several yards in front rose up in the saddle and peered intently towards the right in the fading light of the day.  He raised an arm and called a halt.  The blond, stationed at the back of the small group, came swiftly riding to the front and conferred with the leader.  The horses stamped uneasily amid the red and gold leaves swirling around their legs as the two men talked.

A small panel on the front of the caravan slid open and Jayanit pushed her head through the opening, asking in a frightened voice, “ਪਿਤਾ ਜੀ ਕਿਉਂ ਅਸੀਂ ਰੋਕ ਰਹੇ ਹਾਂ? ਕੀ ਖਲਨਾਇਕ ਆਏ ਸਨ?”  {Father why are we stopping?  Are the robbers coming back?}

Manjot looked to the heavens mumbling, “Give me guidance.”  He turned around in his seat and threw a stern look at his youngest daughter.

Jayanit cast her eyes down then brought them up to meet her father's.  She pulled a slim arm through the door and waved vaguely at the brunette rescuer while attempting a contrite look, complete with an abashed smile.  “Sorry, Father.  In English, I know.”

Hannibal Heyes heard the inquiry and, although he couldn’t understand the language, he surmised the intent and offered information.  “There appears to be an abandoned homestead just up ahead.  It doesn’t look to be in too bad of shape and we can stop there for the night.  My partner and I think we should be safe there.  I doubt we’ll see those bandits again, after the display Thaddeus put on.  Plus, they’ll need to see to their injuries.  Ma’am, don’t you worry, we’ll get you to town safe.”

The Punjabi, Mr. Bhatt, nodded his agreement with the partners' plan, while speaking over his shoulder, “ਧੀ ਦੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਨਾ ਕਰੋ, ਇਹ ਲੋਕ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਸਾਨ ਫਰਾਂਸਿਸਕੋ ਲਈ ਸੁਰੱਖਿਅਤ ਦੇਖਣਗੇ.”  {Don't worry daughter, these men will see us safe to San Francisco.}

“In English, Father,” Jayanit chided before ducking back into the caravan.

“ਸਿਵਾਏ ਜਦੋਂ ਅਸੀਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਚਾਹੁੰਦੇ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਜਾਣੇ ਕਿ ਅਸੀਂ ਕੀ ਕਹਿ ਰਹੇ ਹਾਂ।," called an exasperated Manjot Bhatt after the disappearing black braid.  {Except when we do not want them to know what we are saying.}  Switching to British Indian accented English, Manjot Bhatt replied, “I am no longer worried; I know that you will see us safely to San Francisco.  Yes, we must set up camp for the night.  The women are very fine cooks.  They will cook for you in thanks for your timely rescue.  You will like butter chicken curry, rice and chapaatis.  They will use the fowl that Mr. Jones was able to hunt for us on the way here.”

Curry’s stomach rumbled at the thought of food, and he encouraged his mount back into motion.

Heyes remained where he was and corrected Mr. Bhatt’s understanding of the situation.  “We’d appreciate the dinner, and we will make sure you get to town without any further trouble.  But we only agreed to take you to the next town with a railroad where you can sell the caravan and horses and buy tickets to San Francisco.  We’re not going to San Francisco with you.  You’ll be perfectly safe on the train.”

Bhatt senior smiled and shook his head.  “No, it is you that are mistaken, Mr. Smith.  Mr. Jones agreed to go all the way to the big city where my brother is waiting for us to join his jewelry business.  My daughter Jasleen spoke with him, and he said this was so.  This is the Wild West, yes?  You said yourself that traveling by caravan from town to town, selling our wares along the way is not safe because of bandits.  You advised us to go by train, which is much faster.  But there are train robbers in this part of the country, yes?”

Heyes shifted uncomfortably in his saddle and had to nod affirmatively, admitting that there were indeed train robbers in this part of the country.  He started to walk the horse while continuing the conversation as the caravan rumbled slowly after the Kid’s dark bay gelding in the direction of the cabin and rundown barn.  Under his breath, Heyes muttered, “It's a good thing you don't know how close a couple of ex-train robbers actually are to you and your family.”

The Punjabi continued confidently, “Mr. Jones was kind enough to offer your services as guards.  My wife Chandra, my daughters, Jasleen and Jayanit, my son, Harbir, and I are very grateful.  You seem to be good, trustworthy men.  We negotiated a satisfactory fee for your services.  Mr. Jones is most excellent with his gun.  You are a good guard as well.  I am very good with my dagger and my British friends back in the Punjab have taught me to use their English guns, but I do not own one.  My brother, when he wrote from London, and then when he arrived and established the business in San Francisco did not say to bring one on our journey to America.”

“You won't need a gun once you get there, Mr. Bhatt.”

“Please call me Manjot.”

“You can call us Joshua and Thaddeus.  Manjot, the odds of the being robbed on your journey are low.  But if you ever meet a train robber, you’ll be safer without a gun.  Your lives are worth more than the materials of your craft.”

The jeweler smiled, confident in his belief that they would be well-protected.  He had watched the young gunman as the Bhatt’s told their story.  The Bhatts were most excellent salesman – hard negotiators all – they knew how to target a potential customer and close the sale.  Thaddeus Jones seemed very susceptible to his eldest daughter’s charms and had demonstrated protective instincts.  Mr. Smith was somewhat a harder sell, but Manjot liked a challenge.

“Yes, yes, I know we will be very safe.  Very safe with you so we don’t need a gun.  My family and my precious stock will not be stolen with Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones as guards.  We have already negotiated a fee.  Ten dollars a day in gold until we reach San Francisco.  We shook hands.”  The Punjab patriarch reined in the Percherons in front of the abandoned house.  He and Harbir jumped down from the seat of the caravan and prepared to unhitch the horses.

The three Bhatt women descended from the caravan and surveyed their temporary lodgings.  Chandra, leading the way with a broom in hand, entered the homestead.

Heyes took a deep breath and shook his head in mild annoyance at the Punjab’s dismissal of his words.  Brown eyes traced the blond gunman’s movements as his partner dismounted in front of the shabby deserted homestead.  Heyes muttered to his horse as he led the animal to the barn, “The Kid can be stubborn as a mule, especially if he thinks someone weaker is in need.  Going straight has only reinforced that stubbornness.  And, since the needy is a female, I better polish my silver tongue before we wind up in San Francisco.  Kid, you and I will have to have a little talk so we can present a united front and get our point across.”  The chestnut was mute.  Heyes stopped and looked the gelding in the eye.  “You better care, ‘cause if we wind up on that train, you wind up with a new owner and I think you and I have a good understanding between us.”  The big brown eyes widened as the chestnut head slowly turned and his muzzle bumped the dark-haired ex-train robber in the arm.

~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

Heyes strode up to the doorless opening of the still-serviceable barn and peered inside.  Curry had apparently been busy.  Old, musty straw had been piled up along one side of the structure.  A bale had been thrown down from the loft and broken apart, the dryer and cleaner straw was strewn around the floor of where the stalls had once been.  The Kid had untacked and secured the four horses and was tending to their needs.  Heyes glanced back towards the cabin, which was being made habitable for the night by the Bhatts and prepared to talk sense into his partner.

Curry was bending over a sack, sniffing, the telltale trail of grain spilling from a mouse-chewed hole in the bottom across the floor giving proof of the contents.  He looked up at the sound of footsteps.

“Smells okay, I think it’s safe to feed it to the horses,” the blond informed his partner.  “The homestead doesn’t appear to have been abandoned for too long.  See if you can find a pail or some sort of container while I take care of groomin’ the horses.”

Heyes nodded and slowly turned around, sweeping his eyes over the surroundings.

The Kid pointed and asked, “Hand me that curry brush from over there.”

Heyes picked up a brush from atop a half-opened bale of hay, turned it over in his hand, inspecting it, then knocked the brush a few times against a barn post, loosening some dirt and debris, before handing the brush over.  He remarked matter-of-factly, “You do know that Jasleen is currying favor by cooking a curry for Kid Curry, don’t you?”

“They don’t know I’m Kid Curry and you’re Hannibal Heyes.”  The Kid started brushing down Heyes’ chestnut, which was closest to him.

“No, but she’s looking at you as her Lancelot.”

“Lancelot?”

“You know, Sir Lancelot, a knight in shining armor from King Arthur’s round table.  Jousting and all that.  Remember the stories about Camelot?”

Curry straightened up and looked his partner in the eyes.  “I know who Lancelot is, Heyes.  I do remember you readin’ those stories.  I liked them.  I even read a few myself.  Lancelot is the knight who was carryin’ on with Guinevere.  I’m not like Lancelot, I would never two-time my best friend and the king by sleepin’ with his wife behind his back.  I’d be one of the other knights.”

“Yeah, probably Sir Galahad, without the purity part,” muttered Heyes under his breath before raising his voice.  “Glad to hear it, Kid, but we’re getting off track here.  The fact is that once again Kid Curry went riding off to help damsels in distress and their family, shooting the villains with exceptional skill.  The point is, that just because we rescued them once, doesn’t mean we have to act as guards all the way to San Francisco.  We’re not obligated.”

Curry finished with the chestnut and squeezed past Heyes to start on his bay.  “I guess we don’t, but I think we should.  They’re travelin’ with their life savings, not to mention all the gold, silver, stones and jewelry.”

Heyes appeared unmoved about the Indians' predicament as he found a stool to sit on while he talked some sense into the impulsive one of the pair.

“So are we, minus the gold, silver, and jewels, which doesn’t amount to a hill of beans.  Unless they want to part with some more of that gold, they’re on their own no matter how pretty the women are or how well they can cook.  It’s less than a week’s ride by train to the coast.  They’ll be perfectly safe.  You know, they could even hire guards in town, as long as it’s not us.  We have other jobs lined up.”

“Heyes, you can negotiate our fee, but I’m gonna make sure they get there safe.  They’re new to the west and have no idea of the problems they could find.  Plus, what happens if they get mistaken for Indians, I mean our Indians?  You know – American Indians, not Indian Indians.  We thought they were natives when we were far away, although with funny clothes.”

Heyes objected, “I knew they weren’t American Indians.  How many braves do you see wearing a turban and are riding with a caravan?  Sheesh!”

Curry chuckled as he moved to the other side of the horse.  He leaned over the bay’s back and looked his partner in the eye.  “Sure, you did, once we got close enough.  But admit it; at first you weren’t sure on who was attackin’ who or why or if anyone was goin’ to be friendly.”

“Well, they are from India, the Punjab in the north, says Manjot, so no one should harass them or kick them off the train or try to steal their valises of gold, jewels, and jeweler’s tools.”  Heyes stood up and changed positions to the other side of the horses as the Kid moved on to the first Percheron of the draft team.

“You’re sure ‘bout that?  ‘Cause I’m not.  Besides, the job waitin’ for us is a ranch job.  We hate ranch work; it’s hard on the back.  Sittin’ on a train for a few days guardin’ the Bhatts sounds like a better proposition.  He’s payin’ ten dollars a day in gold until San Francisco, which is almost what the two of us will make for the month of ranch work we’ve got waitin’ for us.  I vote for wirin’ the ranch that somethin’ came up and we sit on a train instead.”  Curry glanced at his partner.  “You plannin’ on findin’ something to put the grain in for the horses?  I’ll bet they’re hungry; I know I sure am.  Whatever the women are cookin’, it smells like nothin' I ever ate before; strange, but good.”

“It’s that sage hen curry.”

“Yeah, sage hen curry, whatever that is.  It’s gotta be better than our usual sage hen roasted over a campfire.  We’ll stick around so I can try some of those kebab things and tandoori.  Jasleen mentioned those are her specialties.”  He paused again and raised a brow in his partner's direction.  “The bucket, Heyes?”

Heyes grumbled to himself, something about a hungry Kid Curry thinking with parts of his anatomy other than his brain.  He did find a bucket and fed the horses.  By the time he got to the Bhatt’s draft horses, he mumbled to the dappled grays, “I hate to say it, but the Kid might have a point about the relative merits of ranch work versus being guards for a family of Punjabi jewelers.”

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Nell McKeon’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Penski
Post Thu 21 Apr 2022, 10:59 pm by Penski
What a fun and unique story, Nell McKeon!  Love learning about the Punjabi Indians.  Of course, the Kid would have to get involved to save the family.  Fun to see someone who matches Heyes as a negotiator (is Heyes really a good negotiator, though?).  Can't wait to see what happens on the trip to San Francisco.  
goodjob
Post Sat 23 Apr 2022, 4:17 pm by Kathy Knudsen
Fascinating story. love the cultural aspect (learning a lot), and of course the boys accept a job that likely means trouble. Can't wait for Part II!
Post Sun 24 Apr 2022, 1:22 pm by Uk_rachel74
Enjoying this. Fascinating cultural information and a good story.

Penski likes this post

Review
Post Sat 30 Apr 2022, 9:42 pm by Kattayl's review
Enjoyed part one of Curried Curry and Heyes.  Curry does always find woman in distress and trying to save them leads to trouble.  Looking forward to part two!
Post Sun 08 May 2022, 12:08 pm by Dan Ker
My knowledge of linguistic means is limited but I do love a good written introduction, which invites me to dive into a very different world.
As a non-native speaker I like the way the travelers talk. Trying to learn and speak a foreign language mostly involves a communication without abbreviations, clearly and precise sentences spoken with full concentration on pronunciation.
And they already have learned a lot... Good sentence order, correct grammar... And, lovely, it's so natural to fall back into your own easier, original language.

This, for me, amusing part is being replaced by another amusing part featuring a beautiful old couple feeling. I can easily imagine them leading a discussion about possible odds, which we all know, aren't always in their favor ;
great idea to prove that with fitting references to single episodes, in which their experiences defy the odds.

I very much like the interaction during Heyes and Curry's bickering. The moment Heyes' mood threatens to change, Curry retreats and softens.

The setting of the story, together with the entire atmosphere, resembles an episode on screen.
Heyes' half optimism and dry humor is met with Kid's stoic determination to decide between right and wrong.
Very characteristic, for example, is Heyes' statement, "we don't need this complication."
Exactly the way I see him and to boot so close to the spirit of the series.

I am sure the following action scene wasn't easy to write. The camera (or the reader's eyes) has to take in each small course of action, so the plot can take place in their minds... After a closer reread, well done.

Interesting and funny at the same time is to see Heyes' aversion of the order of events, resulting in "anger and annoyance, reflecting on his face." Vividly described.

Once again, an important point for a successful VS story is a detailed description of the main character's body language.
Especially while dealing with the outlaws, Heyes' stance etc. is well captured.
" He looked directly into Punjab's eyes while he talked and exuded confidence in his logic for his decision." That's how we know him from the series.
Wonderful, too, is Kid's performance with his gun to intimidate... The same scene we know from the pilot.

Altogether, I love that throughout the whole story there are short written scenes inserted from single episodes"; for example, Heyes kneeling beside a valise "in admiring wonderment, with more than a hint of lust , together with a rapturous gaze.." immediately reminds me of "Wrong Train to Brimstone".

It is always very enjoyable to imagine Heyes' tendency to permanent values and Kid's insuppressable need to help damsels in distress... Going straight seems to have only reinforced their streaks.
So much as an exasperated ex-outlaw leader mumbles under his breath, "something about a hungry Kid Curry thinking with parts of his anatomy other than his brain."
Very enjoyable, though I suppose the producers would never had allowed such a sentence in an aired episode.
But that's the advantage of a 'mute' spoken inner thought... And definitely a wonderful transition to part 2!

Curried Curry and Heyes Part 1 by Nell McKeon

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones  :: Virtual Season :: Virtual Season 2022-
Jump to: