Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

The Favor by Inside Outlaw

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Empty
PostThe Favor by Inside Outlaw

Starring

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Ben_mu11
Ben Murphy as Kid Curry
Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes

Guest Stars

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Robert11
Robert Mitchum as Walt Jenkins

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Robert12
Robert Ryan as Bret Martin

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Stroth10
Strother Martin as Stumpy

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Jacob_10
Jacob Vargas as Charlie

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Shia_l10
Shia LaBeouf as Eli Jenkins

The Favor by Inside Outlaw James_15
James Drury as Lom Trevor

The Favor
by Inside Outlaw

“You want us to do what??!”

Kid Curry’s face was a mask of fury, causing Lom Trevors to unconsciously step back and raise his hands defensively.  “Now, Kid, take it easy.”

“Easy?  You think he should take it easy?” growled Heyes, sounding equally irritated.  “The governor’s asking us to be his personal hired gunmen.  We ain’t gonna do it!”

Lom’s head whipped around to the dark-haired ex-outlaw sitting on his desktop with one leg nervously swinging.  “He didn’t ask that.  He asked you to go down there, nose around, put a stop to whatever’s going on, and protect his friend’s interests.”

“Define ‘put a stop’.”  Heyes coldly stared at Lom.

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Pic_1_16

“Look, the last thing anyone wants is for this situation to turn violent.  That’s exactly what the governor is trying to prevent.”

“Yeah, but he ain’t being clear on how he expects us to prevent anything.”  The Kid crossed his arms over his chest still glaring at his old friend.

“All he knows is his friends are principal shareholders in Consolidated Mining.  They’re the ones who own the Buzzard Mine, and the governor’s worried they’re going to lose their shirts if things go bad.  He just wants eyes there to keep track of what’s going on.”

“And what exactly has been going on?” asked Heyes, skeptically.

“Sabotage.  Equipment busted up, stolen, sand in the engines.  Two nights ago, someone snuck in and set fire to their coal supply.  That shuts the whole operation down for the next couple of days while they ship in more and try to smother the fire out.”

“Smother?  Why not just pour some water on it?” asked the Kid.

Lom sighed and ran his hands through his hair.  “Water’s in short supply even the ditches are drying up between the mine and the town.  There’s none to spare.”

“I get it now.  You’re askin’ us to put ourselves in the middle of a water war?  Are you crazy?”  Angry again, Curry started for the door.

“Hold up, Kid, the governor isn’t going to take no for an answer on this one’,” cautioned Lom.  “His friends are in real financial trouble and he asked this as a special favor.”

Heyes smirked, but it wasn’t friendly-looking.  “Favor?  He dresses all his orders up as favors.  You know what, Lom?  A favor means you can say no.”

“Call it what you want, but if you don’t do it, it could go bad for you.”

“How much worse could it go?  We’ve been trying for this amnesty for going on three years with no end in sight.”  Heyes stood up.

“Boys, please, just go check it out.”  

“We’ll think about it,” the Kid pulled open the door, “and give you an answer in the mornin’.”

“Thank you,” said Lom, collapsing in his desk chair.  

Curry stalked out and Heyes followed, slamming the door behind him.

~~~~~

“I still don’t know why we’re doin’ this,” grumbled the Kid.  He was guiding his mount through a rocky, nearly dried-up streambed.

Heyes didn’t even attempt to mask the disdain in his reply, “We don’t have a choice and the governor knows it.  He’s got us right where he wants us, Kid.  We’ve got too much time invested in the amnesties to turn back now.”

“Amnesties ain’t gonna do us any good if we’re dead.”

“All we agreed to do was check out the situation and that’s all we'll do.  Trust me; I won’t let anything bad happen to us.”

“You’d better not.”

~~~~~

Two dusty, trail-worn men walked into the modest hotel and rang the silver bell at the front desk.  From the door to their left emerged a small man, wearing spectacles, a few strands of hair carefully combed across his balding head.  

“Why, good evening, gentlemen; how may I assist you?”

“We’d like a room.  Two beds, overlooking the street,” said Heyes.

“You’re in luck, sir, I have one available but it’s a little pricey,” he apologized.  “Two dollars a night.  If you take it for a week, I can give you a deal.  Seven nights for the price of six.”

“We’ll take it.”  The Kid shifted his bedroll under his arm.

“Hold on.”  Heyes turned to his partner.  “What are we going to do here for a week?  I thought we were just going to hole up and rest a day or two and then head out?”

“What’s your hurry?  We don’t have to be in Chama before the tenth.  I like the idea of a little vacation before we drive those doggies north.”

“Drovers are you?” asked the clerk.

“More like drifters, but drovers for the next bit.  All right, I’m in, too.”  Heyes pulled out a ten-dollar bill and laid it on the counter.

“Names?”

“Sam Winston, and he’s Noah Pigg.”  

Curry angrily mouthed his new name at his partner while the little man dutifully recorded the names in his register and spun it around.  “If you’ll sign here, Mr. Winston, we’ll get you settled in no time.”

Heyes signed the register with an X.  “Sorry, neither of us ever did learn to read or write.”

“That’s just fine, sir, not all of us can.  Your X is signature enough.”  Snatching a room key from the wall, the clerk passed it to Heyes.  “Up the stairs to your left, third door down.”

“Much obliged,” said Curry with a smile as he started to follow Heyes up the stairs.  Once safely in the room, he put his bags on top of the oak dresser as Heyes flopped onto the bed and stretched out.  He unbuckled a bag and paused as he reached inside it.  Turning, he scowled, “Noah Pigg, Heyes?”

“No one’s going to think THAT’s an alias,” laughed Heyes as his partner threw a pair of socks at him.

“Why do we even need aliases?  Nobody knows Smith and Jones here.”

“True, and I’d like to keep it that way.  We agreed we’d check things out but we never said we’d do the job.  This way, if it turns ugly, we ride on out of here and no one’s the wiser.  And the governor won’t be trying to keep an eye on Winston and Pigg.  He doesn’t know who they are.”

“Next time, I’m choosing the aliases,” grumbled the Kid.  He emptied his saddlebags into the dresser drawer by turning them upside down and shaking them until his clothes dumped out, then closed the drawer.  The bags were tossed aside.

Heyes smiled.  “So, what d’you say we go out tonight and sample the delights of beautiful, downtown Buzzard, New Mexico?”

“Looks like there ain’t much delight in Buzzard.  Or much downtown.”

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Downto10

“Maybe not, but there’s also no sheriff here.  Our kind of town, Kid.”

“My kind of town has a few more saloons and a whole lot more pretty women.”

~~~~~

“Howdy,” said Heyes to the bartender as he sat down on a stool.  He gazed around the empty saloon.  Dust covered most of the tables and only one other customer occupied one of the many chairs: a man with a full gray beard and a floppy mustache dripping with beer.

The Kid sat down next to his partner and eyed a chalkboard on the wall.  “Your stew any good?’

“Best in Buzzard,” was the barkeep’s reply.  “Where’re you boys from?”

“Just came in from Amarillo on our way to Chama.  This looked like a good spot to rest up a few days.”  Heyes plunked down a dollar.  “A couple of drafts and two bowls of your stew, please.”

The coin quickly disappeared into the bartender’s apron.  He placed two beers in front of his customers and hurried off to fetch the stews.

“Hoppin’ place,” noted the Kid.  “We’ll sure be able to blend into the background here.”

“Hey, don’t start.”

Returning with the food, the barkeep served it with a slice of thick bread on top of each bowl.  “Bread’s compliments of the house.  My wife baked it fresh today.”

“Thank you.”  Heyes scooped up a spoonful of the steaming stew and blew on it.

“Better give that a minute.  It’s stinking hot.”  Grabbing a rag from his back pocket, the man began wiping the already clean counter.  “We don’t get many strangers here.  What do you do?”

“Drifters,” said the Kid.
“Drovers,” said Heyes at the same time.

The man laughed.  “Drifting drovers, huh?  Well, if you’re going to be here for a few days I guess I should introduce myself.  I’m Charlie Quintana.”

“Sam Winston,” replied Heyes.

“I’m Noah,” offered the Kid, sending a warning glance at Heyes.

“Nice to meet you,” said Charlie.  

“So, Charlie, what do you do for fun around here?”  The Kid looked out the window at the empty street.

“Well, we’ve got a real good baseball team.  Won the county title just a few weeks ago.  Bible study is Thursday night, if you’re interested.  Saturday night can get a bit crazy when the ranch hands come to town, but they clear out early Sunday morning before the preacher finds them.”  Charlie chuckled.  

“What do the ranch hands do for fun?”  The Kid looked hopeful.

“Drink, play some poker.  You know, the usual.”

“Charlie,” began Heyes, gesturing over his shoulder.  “I saw a sign for the Buzzard Mine.  What are they mining?”

The smile on Charlie’s face vanished and his brows lowered angrily.  “Silver is what they’ll tell you, but if you ask me, they’re mining water.  Ain’t much of either around here.”  

A snort from across the room caused Heyes and the Kid to look at the grizzled man seated alone.

“That cursed mine is dryin’ up this town,” said the man.  

“How so?”  The Kid picked up his beer and took a sip.  “There’s a drought on.”

“Drought, my eye.  The mine’s been stealing from our aquifer.  We’ve had droughts afore and, maybe we got less water because of it, but there’s always been enough we could draw from underground.  Ain’t now.”

Heyes turned back to his stew.

“Gotta have water to mine and the town’s gotta have water to survive.  Ain’t ‘nuff to go around.”

“Wouldn’t the town have first rights over the mine?” asked Curry.

“It does,” Charlie answered, “but that’s for ground water.  Law don’t say anything about water being tapped underground.”

Heyes paused, his stew-filled spoon a few inches from his mouth and frowned.  “You mean they drilled a well?  Is that legal?”  

“Well, it wouldn’t be if we could prove that’s what they done,” growled the other customer.

“Bert’s right.  That’s the problem.  We don’t know where the water’s going or how it’s getting there.  If we could prove what they were doing, they wouldn’t be doing it!” Charlie slammed down the glass he’d been polishing.  “Danged thieves won’t let me into the mine to see what they’re doing and I’m the Mayordomo!”

“Mayordomo?” asked the Kid.

“It’s just a fancy Spanish word for ditch boss.  I oversee the acequias, which is another fancy word for irrigation ditches.  It’s my job to see the water gets to where it’s supposed to and those crooks aren’t letting me do my job.”

“But someone’s fixin’ ‘em good!” Bert guffawed.  “Can’t mine if their machines don’t run.”  

“Bert!” snapped Charlie.  

“Well, it’s true!” yelled Bert.  “You let them carpetbaggers push you around but at least someone’s got the guts to take ‘em on!”  The two men glared angrily at each other.

Heyes continued quietly eating as Bert shoved back his chair and stomped out the door.  When he was done, he put down his spoon and took a long swig of beer.  “Maybe you aren’t going about it right.”

“Going about what right?”

“Figuring out where the water is going.  It’s got to be going somewhere.”

Charlie, who had gone over to Bert’s table to collect his empty glass, turned abruptly.  “What do you mean?”

“How many folks are there hereabouts?” asked Heyes.

“Sixty-eight at last count, but a few babies have been born since,” replied Charlie.

“I’m guessing some of those folks work up at the mine and know who the rest of you are.”

The Kid frowned and picked up his beer again.  “You better not be sayin’ what I think you’re sayin’.”

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Listen10

“You need a couple of strangers nobody knows to take a look for you,” suggested Heyes.

“You are sayin’ what I thought you were sayin’,” groaned the Kid, rolling his eyes.

Charlie’s eyes brightened.  “We can pay.  Leave that to me.  How much do you want?”

“Now hold on, Charlie.  I’m not saying we’ll do it; just that you need a couple of strangers,” said Heyes.  “If word got around you were paying someone to spy on the mine, that someone would probably be dead before he learned anything.”

“I hear you and I’m not saying a word to anyone, not even Maria.  But, if someone were to find out what was going on, I can guarantee that person would be well compensated.  I’d even say two hundred dollars would be a fair price for that kind of information.”

Heyes stood up and smiled.  “That sounds like a fair price to me, too.  Good luck with finding those strangers.  C’mon, Noah; let’s see to the horses and turn in.  It’s getting late.”

The Kid followed Heyes out into the street.  “You better not be plannin' to take that job!”

“Did I say I was taking it?  Seems to me I made it plain we weren’t.”

“Good.”

“’Course we also aren’t getting paid by the governor or Consolidated Mining to poke around.  So, if we happen to stumble on that information, and we decided we wanted to sell it, far as I can see, there’s nothing stopping us from doing that.”

“Heyes…”

“And we wouldn’t be selling that information until we’re done looking around.  Maybe not even until we’ve left Buzzard behind.”  Heyes grinned.

After a moment, the Kid returned the grin.  “Well, two hundred dollars would last us a while.  Especially if the governor doesn’t come through with the amnesties.”

“It would, wouldn’t it?” laughed Heyes.  “First thing tomorrow, we get ourselves a couple of security jobs up at the mine.”

“What if they ain’t hirin’?”

“I’m pretty sure they aren’t too happy with whoever’s been doing security up until now.”

“Didn’t we tell Lom we weren’t hirin’ out our guns?”

“We both know you don’t have to shoot anyone to get a job done.  We won’t be working for anyone but ourselves, so we get to decide how it’s gonna play out.  You good with that?  If you aren’t, we’ll ride on out of here and tell the governor we didn’t find anything.”

“He’s not going to like that.”

“He doesn’t have a choice.  If he kicks up a fuss, we can always go back to outlawing.  It’s safer as far as I’m concerned.”

The Kid’s eyes narrowed as he searched his partner’s face.  “You mean that?  You’d give up on the amnesties?”

“I do.  We can keep afloat with poker or odd jobs—heck, it’s pretty much what we’re doing now.  We can disappear, change our names—again,” said Heyes, earnestly.

A small smiled appeared.  “Well, guess it won’t hurt to poke around a little.”

~~~~~~

The next morning, Heyes and the Kid presented themselves at the Buzzard Mine office in town.  The male receptionist looked up from his desk across from the entrance and eyed them up and down, his gaze coming to rest on their tied-down guns.  “Gentlemen, how may I help you?”

The Favor by Inside Outlaw The_mi10

“We heard at the saloon you were having some trouble up at the mine.” Heyes pulled off his hat and puffed out his chest.  “We’re here to offer some help.”

A man emerged from the doorway to the right.  He held a sheaf of papers in his hand and wore his spectacles low on his nose.  “I’m afraid we have all the miners we need.”

The Kid turned his icy blue eyes on the newcomer.  “That ain’t the kind of help we’re offerin'.”

Heyes cleared his throat.  “We specialize in security, you might say.”

The man’s bushy eyebrows arched and he smiled.  “Gentlemen, you may just be the answer to my prayers.  Please, let’s step into my office.”  He moved aside and ushered them in with a swing of his arm.  When his visitors were seated, he went around and sat behind the large oak desk.  “I’m Ambrose Grant, General Manager of Buzzard Mine.  It just so happens we could use your services as we’ve had some unfortunate incidents occurring up at the mine.”

“We heard,” the Kid stated, flatly.

“Yes, well, then you know that our security team had not been performing their duties.  We let them go last week.  I’ve had some of my miners posted at night and, frankly, I need them back in the mine.  You would be replacing them.  You will be in charge of seeing that there are no further incidents.  Understood?” asked Mr. Grant with a pointed look at their guns.

Heyes nodded.  “I think we completely understand.”

“Excellent.  The job pays five dollars a day to each of you.”

“That’s pretty decent wages for minin’,” observed the Kid, “but, I ain’t pullin’ my gun for less than ten dollars a day.”

“That’s highway robbery!”

“Nope.  Highway robbery pays a whole lot better than that.  You know as well as I do, you get what you pay for and you haven’t been paying enough,” replied Heyes with confidence.  “We’re going to need access to the mine as well as the above-ground areas.”

“Why?” Grant sat back in his chair and looked from Heyes to the Kid, who gave him a hard stare.

“We need to see where you're vulnerable,” explained Heyes.  “Because that’s the only way to prevent more incidents.”

Grant appeared to mull it over, then nodded.  “All right, ten dollars each and full access – but you’d better earn your keep!  If we have any more damage, I’ll be docking your pay.”

“Fair enough,” agreed the Kid.

“See Findley on your way out.  He’ll set you up with the paymaster.”

~~~~~

“Twenty dollars a day!  I’m letting you do the negotiating from here on,” exclaimed Heyes gleefully as they walked along the boardwalk.  “That and the money from Charlie and we’ll be living high on the hog this winter.”

“I still ain’t shootin’ anyone.  Not even for twenty dollars a day,” growled the Kid.

“Agreed.  That’s why we’re gonna have a friendly little chat with Charlie.  Let him know we’re working security at the mine, and it would be in the town’s best interests if things quiet down for a spell.”

~~~~~

“Stumpy, come on over here for a minute,” yelled the big, burly man wearing a plaid shirt.  A small, wiry man looked up from stacking firewood and started limping towards Heyes and Curry where they stood by the front gate to the mine complex.  “Stumpy’ll show you around.  I’ve got to get a boiler up and running.”

“Yessir, Mr. Martin, coming quick as I can,” called the man.  He lurched across the yard and came to a stop by the three men standing together.

“I’d like you to meet our new security men.  This here’s Sam Winston and that’s Noah Pigg,” said Martin, unable to keep a smile from creeping onto his face.  “Can you show them around for me?”

“Yessir, I can.”

Martin turned to Heyes and the Kid.  “Last shift ends at 8 p.m.  I expect you to be here before the whistle blows.”

“What about the night shift?” asked the Kid.

“Ain’t no night shift,” piped up Stumpy.  “There ain’t enough men to run it so we shut down and let our miners go home to their families; come back rested the next day.”

Martin continued, “I expect you and Winston to work through the night.  Keep an eye on things while the rest of us are sleeping.  Put your report on my desk before 8 a.m. and I’ll look it over first thing.  If I have any questions, you’ll be the first to know.”

“Will do, Mr. Martin.”

“Call me Bret.  Everyone does except Stumpy here.”  With a nod, Bret strode away.

“That’s some handle you got there, Pigg.  Not much better than Stumpy, I reckon,” said the small man with a friendly grin.  He stuck out his hand.  “Pleasure to meet you.”  

The Kid gripped the offered hand firmly and smiled.  “At least Stumpy’s a nickname.”

“Pretty apt one at that.  Lost my leg in a cave-in a couple of years ago.  Bret Martin dug through the rubble with his bare hands and pulled me out afore I suffocated.  Reckon if he wants to call me Stumpy it’s all right with me.”

“A cave-in, huh?” questioned Heyes.

“Yeah, soil shifts a lot here.  Guess I should’ve noticed the supports starting to buckle but I didn’t, and here I am.”

“That’s rough,” the Kid answered, sympathetically.

“It ain’t so bad.  Mr. Martin keeps me busy, gives me a place to live, and pays me a fair wage.  Lots of folks are worse off than I am these days what with the depression and all.  Although, the troubles here have all of us on edge.  I hope you can stop whoever it is from messing with us.  Well, let’s have a look around so you can get to work.”

The three walked around the yard as Stumpy pointed out the equipment shed, dynamite shack, tool barn, and a large building looming on the hillside.  He nodded towards it.  “That’s our tipple where we store the ore until it’s loaded up for transport.  No trains near here so we ship it out by ox cart.”  Ahead of them, a small stream of water flowed steadily down the hillside, sparkling in the morning light that also bounced off the surface of a series of nearby ponds’ milky, yellowish water.  “That’s our tailings.  You know, the wastewater.  Gotta go somewhere so we put it there.”  

The Kid pointed to the stream.  “That your drinkin’ water?”  

“Yep.  Not as much as we’d like, but it keeps our whistles wet,” replied Stumpy.

“We heard water’s gettin’ scarce around these parts.”

“It is, but we’re real careful not to waste much.  Fresh water goes for drinking.  Wash water gets reused for the critters and the ladies’ gardens.”

“What about the mine?  Don’t you need water for that?” asked Heyes.

“Yep, we sure do.  We got steam engines for the deep shafts to hoist the ore and men back up to the surface, steam-powered pumps for the tailings, and we use steam-powered percussion drills.  Keeping them engines supplied with water is a full-time job for three men.  Water gets pumped out of the shafts and directed to the settling ponds you can see over there.  Once it clears, we use it to power our machinery.  Unfortunately, the engines are coal-fired so we’ve been pretty much crippled since someone sabotaged our coal supply.”

“Do you have enough water?” asked the Kid.

Stumpy turned to face them.  “Well, the folks in town will tell you we don’t, but we’re not using any more water than we always have.  Sure, we have to pump out tailings in the shafts, but that water is contaminated by the rock it moves through.  It ain’t usable for the town’s purposes.  Heck, it ain’t usable for us until it’s settled out.  We’re careful not to waste water.  If we run dry, the whole operation goes under.”

“Interesting.”  Heyes studied the system.  “Do you have any idea who's causing trouble?”

“If we did, we wouldn’t need you, would we?” chuckled Stumpy.  “There’s a few troublemakers in town who keep yammering about their water drying up, but that don’t have anything to do with us.  Mr. Martin’s been keeping a close eye on them but, so far all they done is complain, far as we can tell.  Quintana, that’s the mayordomo, keeps showing up here wanting to look around, but the boss ain’t letting anyone in until he knows who’s been causing trouble.  Whoever it is has been real clever about it.”  

Heyes glanced at the mine entrance.  “What about your security men?  Did they find any clues?”

“Hmpf, the only things those two ever saw was the inside of their eyelids.  Boss caught them sound asleep in the supply shack the morning our coal caught fire.  Fired them lazy good-for-nothings on the spot.”  Stumpy looked pointedly at the tied-down guns.  “I can already tell you two are gonna do a better job.  Good thing, too, because our miners are getting nervous.  No one wants to be underground with someone messing around.”

“Do you have a map of the mine workin's?” asked the Kid.

“Sure do.  I’ll get you a copy and then we’ll take a look inside.”  Stumpy left them standing in the dusty yard as men and machinery moved around them.

“What do you think?”  Heyes turned to his partner.

“You take the tour,” responded the Kid.  “I’m goin’ to talk to some of these folk and see if I can get a better feel for what’s been goin’ on here.”

~~~~~

“Well, that’s all I’ve got to show you,” said Stumpy.  His limp had become progressively more pronounced during the tour of the mine and he wearily leaned against a support near the entrance.  “You need anything, the company town and store is down that road.”  He gestured to a rutted wagon road winding over a hill to the south.  “First cabin on the left is mine.  The two-story house standing off by itself is Martin’s.”  

He handed the map he’d been frequently referring to during the mine tour over to Heyes.  “Here you go.  Be careful if you come down here alone.  It’s not a big mine, but it’s easy to get turned around even with the map.  Best to let someone know you’re coming down so they’ll know to come looking for you when you don’t come back.”  With a chuckle, Stumpy hobbled away.

Heyes was sitting on a barrel still studying the map when the Kid found him.  He looked up.  “How’d it go?”

“Nobody’s seen anything useful, but you know how superstitious miners are: I got the usual warnin’s about red-haired women, rats, black cats, Scottish lights, and Coblynaus.”

“Coblynaus?”

“From what I gathered, they’re the Welsh version of Tommyknockers, only meaner.”

“Huh.  Aren’t they some sort of Leprechaun thing?”  Heyes folded the map and stood up.

“Yeah, miners claim if you hear ‘em knockin’ you better get the heck out of the mine before it caves in.”

“Hmm, handy little guys to have around.”

The Kid grinned, “Not always, sometimes they don’t bother knockin’ and they’re famous for pullin’ practical jokes, too.”

“How do you know so much about these things?”

“I listened when Grandpa Curry told his tales about the old days unlike some folk.  How’d it go for you?”

“I got the grand tour.  Far as I could tell, it all looks on the up and up.  There’s no sign of water down there at all, which is unusual from what I read.  Stumpy said they had to pump water out of the shafts when they were drilling down, but it’s all dried up for the most part.  He blames the drought.  Now, they haul water to the engines in tanks the hoists lift up and down.”

“Sounds like this is all a waste of our time.”

“But time we’re being well-paid to waste.”

“So, what do we now?”

Heyes folded up the map and tucked it into his shirt pocket.  “We wait until tonight and then we start really looking around for ourselves.”

“All right, where should we start?”

“I’d say the safe in Bret’s office might be worth checking out.”

“There ain’t a safe you can keep your hands off, is there?”

Heyes smiled.

~~~~~

“That was disappointing.”  Heyes sat back on his heels and spun the dial before testing that it was securely re-locked.  “No cash, no silver, and all the paperwork is in order.”

The Kid looked up from the desk he was rifling through.  “Well, look at it this way, if we decide to ditch the amnesty we know where there’ll be a payroll shipment arrivin' one of these days.”

Heyes grinned up at his partner.  “You always know how to cheer me up.”  The Kid reached down and pulled him to his feet.

“We’d better get a move on.  I thought I heard something outside a few minutes ago.”  Crossing to the door, Curry pulled it open and jumped back, bumping into Heyes who had been following close behind.

“What!?” hissed Heyes.

“A black cat just ran by!” exclaimed the Kid.  A shove in his back pushed him through the door.

“Don’t tell me you’re going superstitious on me.”

“Naw, he just startled me is all.”

“Let’s do our rounds above ground, then I’ll show you the mine.”

“I can’t wait!” replied the Kid, sarcastically.

~~~~~

The lantern the Kid held aloft did little to dispel the darkness surrounding the two ex-outlaws.  They were deep in the bowels of the mine tunnels.  Rats scurried back and forth, frightened by the sudden illumination, as the two men continued to explore further and further into the mountainside.  The walls of the tunnels were slick with moisture and the floor was a muddy mess, getting worse the deeper they descended.  Heyes held the map in his hand and looked at it constantly, turning around many times.

“What was that?!” snapped the Kid, pushing the lantern ahead of him.

Heyes jumped then swung around to scowl at his friend.  “Sheesh, will you stop?!  You’re gonna give me heart failure!”  No sooner had he turned back to face the blackness ahead then a muffled, thumping noise sounded far away in the tunnel.

“Did you hear that?  It was a knock!”  Blood drained from the Kid’s face.

“Probably a Tommyknocker,” Heyes teased, hiding a tiny smirk.  “You said they were good unless, of course, it’s a Coblynaus.”

“Shush!  There it is again.”

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Heyes_34

Heyes paused.  “Yeah, I hear it.  I think it came from that direction.” He pointed to the tunnel branching off to their left.  “Let’s check it out.”

“I ain’t checkin’ it out.”  A mulish expression took up residence on the Kid’s face.

“Fine, then I’ll do it alone.”  Heyes snatched the lantern from the Kid and started off down the side tunnel, quickly disappearing around a bend.

“No!  Wait up!”

“Change your mind?”

“You took the lantern and the map.  I ain’t walkin’ outta here in the dark without ‘em.”

“Gee, and I thought you were worried something might happen to me.”

“I KNOW something’s gonna happen to you soon as we get outta here.”

~~~~~

“Heyes, are we lost?” moaned the Kid.

“Not yet.”

“I don’t hear the knockin’ anymore.”

“Whoever it was must’ve heard us coming, but I’m sure we’re almost there.”  Heyes held the lantern up high and dropped his right hand to his gun.  Seeing this, the Kid instantly pulled his Colt and kept it ready as they rounded another one of the endless bends in the tunnel.  And stopped cold.  It was a dead end.  

“We’re lost,” sighed the Kid.

“Here, hold this,” said Heyes, frowning.  He thrust the lantern at the Kid and pulled out the map.  “We aren’t lost.  All we gotta do is go back to the last intersection.  The map shows this spur as abandoned.”  

“So?  We must’ve taken a wrong turn.”

“I don’t think so.  We followed the sound.  You heard it coming from this direction and so did I.”  Heyes stepped over and carefully examined the damp rock at the end of the tunnel.  “It’s solid.”

“All right, then, we’ve checked it out.  No one’s here and, in a minute, we won’t be either.”  The Kid grabbed Heyes' arm and pulled him around.  “We’re gettin’ outta here.”

“Hey, let go!”  Heyes pulled free, brushed his arm, and laughed at his partner.  “Big, tough Kid Curry spooked like a little boy.”

“Tell me it doesn’t bother you.”  Curry gave him a hard, flat stare.

Heyes blinked.  “Well, maybe a little.”

“C’mon.  The day shift will be comin’ on in less than an hour.  Let’s go.  You’ve got a report to write up.”

“Yeah.  We wandered around in the dark all night.  The end.”

~~~~~

“Three nights and we haven’t learned a thing,” grumbled Heyes as he finished the last of his breakfast.  “On the good side, no one’s stolen or broken anything.”

“Three days and I’ve hardly slept a wink.  Who knew a hotel was so noisy durin’ the day?”  The Kid crammed the last piece of toast in his mouth and chewed it a long time before taking a long pull from his coffee mug.  “Least ways, the food is good.”

“Hmmm.”  Heyes put down his fork.  “I’m gonna go for a ride.  Clear my head.  Wanna join me?”

“Naw, I think I’ll go talk to Charlie.  Let him know we haven’t found anything yet.”

~~~~~

The Kid entered the saloon only to find more customers than he’d seen before.  Several men gathered at a table in the back corner of the large room.  Charlie had his back turned to the door and a pretty black-haired woman stood next to him with a tray of coffee mugs in her hands.  At the bar were two more men, each nursing a beer.  He walked up to the bar.

“Kind of early for beer, ain’t it?” teased the Kid.

“What’s it to you?” snarled the younger man.  The older man elbowed him causing a yelp.

“Mind your manners, Eli.  Man’s just trying to strike up a conversation.”

“I ain’t interested in conversing.”  Eli took his beer and crossed the room, pulled out a chair at a vacant table and sat, staring out the window.

“Sorry, mister.  Boy’s a bit prickly.”

“It’s all right.  None of my business if he likes day drinkin’.”  The Kid sat.  “Name’s Noah.”

“I’m Walt Jenkins.  You’re new around here.”

“I am.  Me and my partner are just passin’ through on our way to Chama.”

“Hmm.  Cowboys?” asked Walt, looking him up and down.

“When we have to be.”

“What are you when you don’t?”

“Whatever puts money in our pocket and a roof over our heads.  Right now, we’re runnin’ security for the mine.  Seems they’ve been havin’ some problems.”

“My boy worked there before Bret Martin fired him.”  Walt’s eyes narrowed slightly and he picked up his beer, taking a long, noisy sip.  Putting it down, he stood up.  “You seem like a nice enough fella, Noah.  You might want to find another job.  Mining ain’t too popular ‘round here.”  With a nod, he walked toward the door gesturing for Eli to follow.  The Kid watched as the two men left, a slight frown on his face.

“Don’t let him bother you, mister.  He’s grouchy on a good day.”  The pretty woman stood in front of him, her tray now empty.

The Kid removed his hat, putting it on the stool beside him.  “Who is he?”

“Walt?  He owns a big spread on the backside of the mountains.  From what I hear that boy of his isn’t much help either.  Eli’s been in more fights than a bull elk in rut.”  A throaty laugh followed this statement and dark eyes sparkled with mirth.

“Maria, honey, can you fetch more coffee?” called Charlie from the back table where he sat.

“In a minute,” she called back.  “What can I get you, mister?”

“Nothin’.  Just tell Charlie Noah stopped in to say hi.  I’ll stop back another time.”

“Nice to meet you, Noah.”

The Kid smiled, picked up his hat and nodded.  “Nice to meet you, Maria.”

~~~~~

Last edited by royannahuggins on Thu 18 May 2023, 12:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

The Favor by Inside Outlaw :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: The Favor by Inside Outlaw
Post Wed 19 Apr 2023, 2:51 pm by royannahuggins
The buckskin horse galloped with its nose poked out and its black tail streaming behind.  Heyes crouched low, the mane whipping his face, and urged the animal on with rhythmic kicks of his legs.  The big, broad valley rolled past them in a blur until he sat up and back in the saddle.  Sliding to a stop, the buckskin snorted, shook its head playfully, and pranced, eager to run again.

“Easy boy.”  Heyes patted the perspiring neck and the horse settled into a walk.  He looked at his surroundings.  The grassy valley was vast.  Cattle dotted the landscape and a barn and house peeked from behind a small hill nestled at the bottom of the mountains to the east.  A rutted road snaked its way to the ranch gate on his right.  Turning his horse around, he saw two men riding up the valley towards him in the distance.  As they neared, they picked up a slow lope until they got a few yards away, then stopped.

“Howdy,” Heyes greeted them with a smile.

“You lost, mister?”  The younger man glared at him in an unfriendly way.

“Nope, just enjoying the morning.”

“Enjoy it somewhere else.  You’re on our land.”

Heyes shook his head.  “Unless you own the road, too, I’m not on your land.”

The younger man drew quickly and cocked his gun.  “My gun says you are!”

“Eli!  Put that away!”  The older man reached out and pushed Eli’s gun hand down.  “Sorry, my son’s a little hot-tempered.  Still, you’ve no business out here.”

Smiling again, Heyes touched the brim of his hat.  “You’re right.  I’ll move along.”  He touched his horse with his heels and loped slowly away towards town.

Walt looked at Eli and shook his head.  

“What?  What’d I do?”

“It’s what you don’t do.  You don’t think.”

“Think about what?”  Eli sounded genuinely mystified.

“About what that fella’s thinking now.  He’s wondering why you were so darn rude.”  With a cluck, Walt rode off leaving Eli staring after Heyes.

~~~~~

As Heyes pulled up to the hitching rail outside Charlie’s saloon, he saw the Kid approaching on the boardwalk.  He stepped up and waited for his friend to reach him.  “How’d it go with Charlie?”

“It didn’t.  He was busy earlier so I’m on my way in now.”

“I’ll join you.  A cold beer sounds good.”

“How was your ride?”

“Interesting.”  Heyes stepped up onto the boardwalk and slapped a hand on the Kid’s back.  “Let’s get those beers and I’ll tell you all about it.”

Walking in, they saw Charlie stepping out the back door, a trash barrel in his hands.  There were several men still sitting at the back table eating lunch.  “Sam, Noah,” he called out, “be with you in a minute.”

The two ex-outlaws sidled up to the bar and sat down.

“So, what’d you see that was so interestin’?” asked the Kid.

“I ran into some of the locals and they weren’t nearly as friendly as Charlie.”

“What happened?”

“The son drew on me for no good reason.  The father shut it down fast, but he wasn’t a whole lot friendlier.”

“Let me guess…you ran into Walt Jenkins and his son, Eli.”

“Well, I didn’t stick around for introductions, but Eli was the kid’s name.  You met them?”

“Here, earlier.”  The Kid sighed heavily.  “That boy must’ve been born on a barb-wire fence.  He’s lookin' for trouble and I don’t want to be the one he finds it with.”

“Hmm, maybe that’s all it is, but I had the feeling they were hiding something.”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know yet, but I plan to find out.”

The Kid rolled his eyes.  “Sure, you do.”

Charlie entered the building with a bang of the door and clang of his trash barrel as he set it down by the end of the bar.  “What can I get you two?”

“We’ll have what they’re having,” replied Heyes.  “And a couple of drafts.”

Charlie left to place the order with Maria and returned a few minutes later with three generously filled plates.  “I thought I’d join you for lunch if that’s all right.  Let’s grab the front table.  It’ll give us a chance to talk privately and you can fill me in on your new job.”  

They followed Charlie to a small, round table under the window and sat down.  

“There’s not much to tell you,” said the Kid, quietly.  He picked up a sandwich and started to eat.

“We haven’t really learned anything,” added Heyes.  “The whole operation seems on the up and up.  Are you sure it’s the mine causing your problems?”

“As sure as we can be.  There’s no other explanation.”

“We?” asked Heyes, pointedly.

Charlie gestured over his shoulder to the other table.  “That there’s the town council.  We just had a meeting and it was all I could do to stop those knuckleheads from going up to the mine with tar and feathers.”

“Give us a few more days.  If we don’t find anything, you can figure out what you want to do, but we don’t want to be in the middle of whatever you decide,” said Heyes, reaching for his own sandwich.

“Fair enough.”

“Tell us about Jenkins.  I ran into him and his boy on my ride.”  Heyes took a bite of his meal.

Charlie leaned back and took a long pull of beer.  “So, you met the welcoming committee?”

“If that’s the welcoming committee, I think the town council has more to worry about than water.”

“Aw, Walt’s all right, but Eli…that boy’s heading for an early grave if you ask me.”

“What’s his problem?”  The Kid brushed the crumbs from his lap and popped the remains of his sandwich in his mouth before reaching for another one.

“Maria says he needed a mother.  His died in childbirth.  I say she took one look at him and gave up the ghost right there and then.  Walt’s done his best, but he’s not the warm and fuzzy type himself and that boy was born plain mean.”

“Seems like they have a pretty nice spread,” observed Heyes.

“The Double J is one of the biggest ranches around here.  Old Walt’s dad chose well.  Seems like they’re the only ones with enough water to grow much of anything lately.  He’s been pretty decent about it, though; kept his hay prices as low as he could last winter to help his neighbors feed their stock.  He could’ve stuck it to everyone.  Hay was hard to come by.  Gonna be harder to come by next winter if the drought keeps up.”

“They have year-round water?”

“Yep.  It rolls right off the mountain into their laps.  Always has.”

“Huh,” grunted Heyes.  He, too, finished eating.

“Let me give you two a word of advice.  You’ll want to steer clear of Eli Jenkins.  He’s almost as quick with his gun as he is with his fists.”

The Kid stood up.  “We’ll keep that in mind.  What do we owe you, Charlie?”

“It’s on the house.”

“Thank you,” said Heyes, standing.  “We’ll be in touch as soon as we have some news for you.”

“You know where to find me.”

As they were on their way back towards the hotel, the Kid morosely asked, “We’re not goin' to steer clear of the Jenkins, are we?”

“Nope.”

“What are you plannin’?”

“We’re gonna ride up that mountain and see the water keeping the Double J in hay.”

“We have a shift tonight.  Were you plannin’ on sleepin’?”

“It won’t take long.”

“I’ve heard that before.”

~~~~~

“Well, that was a waste of a few hour's sleep!” complained the Kid as he sat atop his horse watching the steady flow of water slip past them.  Heyes had dismounted and was standing at the edge of a steep cliff peering down.  

“The waterfall drops down into a pool they’ve dammed.  Looks like their irrigation starts there.  They can store water in the pond, open that gate on the far side, and send it into the canal that runs behind the house.  Pretty nice set up.  Use what you need for the house, those culvert pipes send it to the barn and pens when they want it, the canals route the rest of it out to the fields.  Kind of like our set up at the Hole.”

“Can we go now?  I’d like to get a little time in the sack before work if you don’t mind.”

“It was worth checking out.” Mounted, Heyes turned his horse towards the trail.  “I’d like to know why that Jenkins kid was so touchy.”

The Kid fell into line behind his partner’s horse, still frowning.  “Maybe he hasn’t been gettin’ enough sleep.  I’m feelin’ a mite touchy myself.”

“We’re gonna have another look in the mine tonight.  We must’ve missed something.”

“Yeah, sleep,” grumbled the Kid.  “I plan on nappin’ and I can’t let you go traipsin’ around those tunnels by yourself.”

“At work?”  Heyes looked genuinely shocked.

“Why not?  It’s been dead quiet every night.  I might as well take advantage of it.”

“That’s how the other security guys got fired.”

“I plan to be a little sneakier how I go about it.”

Heyes said nothing for a few seconds and then slowly smiled.  “That spot where we heard the noises would be a perfect spot for napping.  You saw for yourself, no one but us has been in there in a long time.  I bet we could get a good night’s sleep without anyone disturbing us.”

“That would be sneaky, but I thought you planned to go explorin’.”

“I planned to take another look in there anyway.  Those noises were coming from somewhere and I have a feeling they’re part of what’s been going on at the mine.  This way, we both catch up on some sleep and, if there’s any noise, I’ll hear it.”

Considering, the Kid eventually nodded.  “All right, but we’ll sleep in shifts.  You take the first one.”

~~~~~

“Heyes, wake up.”  Curry shook his partner’s shoulder.

“Huh, what?”

“I think it’s mornin’,” whispered the Kid.  “I heard some of the men walking by.  I fell asleep.”

Heyes sat up.  “I never heard a thing.  Did you?”

“Nope, slept like a baby.  We better get outta here.”  Picking up the lantern while Heyes gathered his things, the Kid lit it and started down the spur.  As he reached the intersection with the main entrance to the mine, he saw three men coming towards him.  Their headlamps were lit so he couldn’t see their faces.  Holding up a hand to shield his eyes from the harsh light, he called out to them.  “Good morning.”

The men stopped.  “What are you doing in here?!” growled one man.

“We heard something down here and figured we'd better check it out.  Got a bit turned around and ended up here.”

“Well, you better get your tails above ground!” snapped one of the other men nastily.  

Heyes drew up next to his partner and smiled.  “No need to be proddy.  We were just doing our job.”

“Tell it to the boss.  Someone broke into the supply shed during the night.  Stole all our detonators.  Then they emptied out the dynamite shack.  He’s fit to be tied!  I sure wouldn’t want to be in your shoes.”  The men passed them and continued down the tunnel, the lights of their headlamps abruptly winking out as they rounded a bend.

The two ex-outlaws looked at each other, dismay written on their faces.

~~~~~

“How did we get robbed?!  Where were you two?  So help me, if I find out you’ve been sleeping on the job…” roared Bret Martin as he slammed a desk drawer when his security team entered his office.  

Holding his hands up in appeasement, Heyes raised his voice, too, and smoothly lied.  “Hold on, Bret, we were working all night!  We heard noises in the mine and went to investigate.  The thieves must’ve hit us while we were in there.”  

“Maybe it was a setup.  You know, one of them drew us in while the other did the stealing,” suggested the Kid.

Not mollified, Bret stood up and slammed his meaty hands down on the desktop.  “Then how did they get out past you?”

“We don’t know.  The sound was coming from a spur off the main tunnel.”  Heyes pulled out and unfolded his map.  He smoothed it out on the desk and pointed to the spur.  “This one.  The noise was coming from here but when we got to the dead end, there was nothing.  Just solid rock.”

Bret’s anger fled his face and he appeared concerned.  “That spur looked promising.  We were working it but then the coal was destroyed.  We can’t operate our drills without it, and we can’t divert enough men from the paying lodes to do it by hand.”

“You pulled the crew off and sent them somewhere else?” asked the Kid.

“Yes.  No one’s working that spur.  And definitely no one at night.”  Bret wiped his face and sighed.  “Sound travels funny in a mine.  Sometimes it transfers through the rock.  It’s possible what you heard was coming from somewhere else.”

“And whoever was making it could get in and out without us knowing,” finished Heyes.

“Yes.”  Bret sat down heavily.  “The Board will have my head when they find out we’ve been robbed again.”

“May I make a suggestion?” asked Heyes.

“Why not?”

“We need help.  The two of us aren’t enough.  Why not hire some of the townsfolk who’ve been asking the see the operations?  You can kill two birds with one stone.  Prove to them you’ve got nothing to hide and, if you have a bunch of men poking around all night, the thieves won’t be able to rob you.”

“Yeah, and if someone does steal from you while they’re workin’, we’ll have a smaller list of suspects,” pointed out the Kid.

Thinking it over for quite a while, Bret finally nodded.  “All right, that makes sense to me, and things can’t get much worse here.  You can hire five more men, temporarily, but I’ll expect you two to supervise them.  See that you keep me apprised.”

“Yessir.”  Heyes nodded.

~~~~~

“Quick thinkin’, Heyes,” complimented the Kid as they mounted up to ride back to town.

“Saving our butts was my top priority, but I think this might be the answer to our problems.”

“How so?”

“If we can get Charlie to agree to hand-pick the men and ride herd on them, we can investigate a little further afield.”

“What do you have in mind?”

“We need to sneak onto the Jenkins place and take a closer look at their water system.”

The Kid looked puzzled.  “I thought you were satisfied it was legit.”

“I was until I realized the Jenkins place is due south of that mine spur.”

“Give or take a few thousand tons of rock between them.”

“Yeah, but I have a hunch there’s less rock than we think.”

“You think Jenkins is tunnelin' into the mountain, too?”

Heyes shrugged.  “Someone is and I want to cross Jenkins off the list.  Think about it.  We heard the knocking and it sounded an awful lot like someone working a pickax.”

“Bret said sound travels.”

“You and I both know that sound was coming from that spur and the only way that could be would be if someone was working the other side of that rock.”

“Maybe.”

Heyes snuck a peek at his partner and laughed out loud.  “You don’t still think it was the Tommyknockers, do you?”

Coloring, the Kid scowled.  

The rest of the ride was silent.

~~~~~

“We’ve got some good men on town council.  I’m fairly sure I can get a few of them to agree to help.  It’s in our best interests to find out what’s going on up there.  How in the world did you get Martin to agree to this?”  Charlie looked at the two men seated across from him enjoying their late breakfast.

“He jumped at the chance.”  Heyes put down his fork, wiping his mouth before continuing.  “Charlie, as far as we can tell your problem isn’t with the mine.  There’s no sign of them stealing water and Martin is as suspicious of you as you are of him.  He’s been hit hard by thieves and can’t afford to pull any of his men off of work to keep watch at night; we need more men.”

“We figured this is your chance to see for yourselves how they operate,” offered the Kid.  

Heyes smiled.  “There’s a catch, though.  We want you to recruit Jenkins and his boy to help and we need you to agree to supervise your men so we can be free to follow a hunch.”

“Jenkins?  Why them?”

“We can’t tell you until we know for sure what’s going on.  Will you do that for us?” asked Heyes.

“Happily.  I’ll bring the men up tonight and you can get us lined out with what you want us to do.  We’ll do it.  I just hope this will get us to the bottom of this mess.”

~~~~~

“I wonder what Charlie said to convince Jenkins and his kid to help?” pondered the Kid.

“Whatever it was, it worked.  I don’t see any signs of anyone else at the ranch, do you?”

“Nope.  According to Charlie, it’s just the two of them.”

“Kind of a big spread to run all by yourself.  Unless, of course, you don’t want witnesses.”  Heyes stood up from the shrubs they’d been hiding behind and brushed the soil from his pants.  “Let’s go.  I want to look around before it gets too dark.”

The Favor by Inside Outlaw At_the10

They approached the ranch house stealthily, circled the barn and outbuildings, and scanned the pastures.

“See anyone?” asked Heyes.

“Nope.”

“We’ll start down at the main irrigation canal and follow it back up to the waterfall.”

“Heyes, what exactly are we lookin' for?”

“I’ll know it when we see it.”  Heyes walked over towards the canal, the Kid following and muttering under his breath.

A few minutes later, Heyes paused.  “See that?”

“What?”

“Look at the bank.  It’s moist a good foot above the flow.”

“So, maybe they released extra water from their pond?”

“Could be.  Let’s take a closer look at that dam.”  

Both men strode towards the waterfall, slowing as they neared the frothing water.

“Do you see what I think I see?” asked the Kid, all but stopping in his tracks.

“Is that a cave behind the falls?”

“It is.”

They skirted around the pond, climbed over the jumbled rocks at the base of the falls, and discovered a well-worn path that skirted behind the cascade and led to a broad opening in the cliff wall.  By the time they entered the cave, both men were soaked with spray.  The aperture was tall enough to stand upright.

The Kid walked over to where a lantern hung on a spike driven into the rock wall and brought it back.  “You still got dry matches, Heyes?”

Heyes felt around his shirt pockets and pulled out a small box of wooden matches.  He struck several until one finally burst into flame.  Quickly lighting the lantern, he blew out the match.  

By the light provided, they saw a dark tunnel in the back of the cave that had obviously been improved with support timbers.  Running down one side of the tunnel and then into the cave was a cast iron pipe that passed out of the entrance and disappeared under the jumble of rocks in the pond.

“Wanna bet there’s water comin’ outta this cave at night?” asked the Kid.  Heyes reached for the lantern, but he pulled it out of his reach.  “Uh uh, I’m hangin’ onto it.  I ain’t followin’ you into the bowels of the earth this time just because you have the light.”

“All right, suit yourself.  Just make sure you keep up with me.  We don’t have all night.”

Hurrying along the tunnel, they followed the piping until they reached a shaft sunk into the floor.  The pipe elbowed over the side and ran down into the darkness.  A sturdy wooden ladder was anchored to one side of the shaft and a pulley was suspended over the center of the hole.

“Hold the lantern over the hole,” instructed Heyes.  “I’m going to check it out.  You stay up here and keep watch.  Toss down a rock if you see someone coming.  I won’t go far.”

Lifting the lantern, the Kid peered over the edge.  “I don’t like it, Heyes.  You could get lost down there without a map.”

“I’ll stick to the main tunnel if there’s any sidecuts.  We just need to know for sure if someone’s been working down there.”

“All right, but don’t take too long.  We can always come back another night and take a better look after we figure out how to get the Jenkins outta here again.”  

Heyes took the lantern from the Kid, and slowly descended.  He waved the lantern at the bottom and slowly the light faded away.

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Kid_wa11

The Kid sat down to wait.

~~~~~

“This is a waste of my time.  There ain’t anyone here,” growled Walt Jenkins.  “We’re going home.”  He was standing with Charlie and his son in front of the supply shed.

“We need to figure out where our water’s gone!” snapped Charlie, impatiently.

“YOUR water.  Eli and me don’t have any water problems, but we have chores and we need to get home.”

“Walt, please…” began Charlie, only to be interrupted by Eli.

“Pa, you get on home.  I’ll stay for a couple more hours to help out.”

“All right but see that you’re home before dawn.”

“Will do.”  Eli picked up the lantern he’d been using and walked off with a grin on his face.

“Hmpf, ain’t like Eli to be so helpful nor so happy about it,” groused Walt before nodding to Charlie.  “I’ll be on my way then.”

~~~~~

Scars from pickaxes pimpled the passageway.  Rough timber shored up the wall periodically but without the regularity found in the Buzzard Mine.  Heyes hurried on following the course of the pipe.  

Above ground, the Kid paced restlessly.  He stopped at the mouth of the cave and peered through the sheet of water obscuring his view.  It was still too dark to see anything.  

~~~~~

Spooking at the glow of moonlight on a white rock, the bay horse shied sideways and flipped his head.  “Easy, Gus.”  Walt stroked the neck of his nervous gelding.  “I don’t like traipsin’ around at night any more than you do, but we’ll be home soon if you don’t break both our fool necks.”  He could see by the three-quarter moon that they were almost to the gate.  Gus stopped, lifted his head, and whinnied.  His ears pricked forward and his muscle stiffened as a faint answering whinny floated towards them.  “What the heck?  That ain’t one of ours.”  Laying spurs to Gus, Walt drew his gun and rode off across the field bypassing the ranch road altogether.

The whinny arrested the Kid’s pacing again.  He hurried to the entrance.  It was still too dark to see much, but the horses had quieted.  “Dang it, Heyes, hurry it up!” he muttered.

~~~~~

Eli had the map he’d stolen from his search of Bert’s office and he now held it under the lantern light tracing his finger to where the spur off the main tunnel was drawn.  He quickly tucked away the map, snatched up the lantern again, and started to run.

~~~~~

Heyes' lantern light reached the end of the tunnel before he did.  He stopped in front of a pool of water nearly as big as the pond above ground.  The pipe he’d been following was connected to one end of a large pump and continued out the other side, disappearing into the depths of water.  Next to the pump was a good-sized hill of coal with a shovel speared into it.  Pickaxes, drills, and various tools were strewn haphazardly around the pool.  Heyes examined the pump carefully, then set down the lantern and started it up.  The roar of the machinery was deafening.  

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Heyes_35

Heyes watched, fascinated, as the water was drawn down and another shaft appeared.  Slogging through the mud, he leaned over and looked down only to see the bottom less than ten feet down.  “Someone’s been busy.”

~~~~~

Reaching the end of the spur, Eli put down the lantern and reached into his jacket.  Pulling out several sticks of dynamite, he placed a detonator in one of them, then bound all of them together with twine he’d stuffed in another pocket.  He carefully placed the lethal package on a small ridge jutting from the rock wall in front of him and connected a fuse, backing down the passageway until he neared the intersection with the main tunnel.  He stopped, assembled another package of dynamite, placed it on the floor and continued backing away to unspool a second length of fuse parallel to the first one.  Fifty more feet and he stopped again, lit both fuses, and started running.

~~~~~

Walt sidled carefully along the path behind the waterfall.  He stopped at the edge of the cave opening and peered slowly around it.  Seeing Noah pacing back and forth, clearly agitated, he drew.  Springing into the cave, his gun held in front of him, Walt yelled, “Get your hands in the air or die!”

Caught unawares, the Kid froze, facing Walt and slowly lifted his hands.

“You got five seconds to tell me what you’re doing here, Noah, or I’m gonna be burying you.”

“Walt, I’m pretty sure you know why I’m here.”

“I’ve got no idea why you’re here, so why don’t you tell me?”

“Well, it looks like you’ve been doin' a little minin’ of your own and you tapped into the town’s aquifer while you were at it.”  The Kid nodded towards the pipe which gurgled with water and saw Walt’s brows lift in surprise.  “You didn’t know?”

“Eli,” growled Walt warningly, wiping a hand across his face.  “No, I didn’t know.”  

The Kid started to lower his hands, but Walt gestured for him to keep them up.  

“You’re still trespassing on my land and I need a minute to think what I’m going to do about it.”

~~~~~

Heyes switched off the pump and picked up the lantern to start back.  The water was already burbling over the edge of the shaft and spilling out onto the floor.  He started to run, but only went a short distance when the concussion of a resounding blast lifted him from his feet like a ragdoll tossed by an angry child.  The light winked out at the same time he did.  

~~~~~

The blast knocked Eli off his feet and he felt the ground tremble.  The crushing sound of rockfall drowned out his startled cry and a wave of dust roared through the passage engulfing him.  He choked on it until it cleared, then got to his feet and ran on.  He was only a few hundred yards from the entrance when the others came running towards him.  “It’s a cave-in.  The mine….it was booby-trapped,” he explained breathlessly.  

Charlie gripped his shoulder and peered at him.  “Are you all right?  Do you hurt anywhere?”  A crowd of miners gathered around them.  

“I’m fine, just a little shaken up.”  Eli glanced back over his shoulder.  “I think it was pretty far away from me.”

“Thank the good Lord,” said Stumpy, stepping forward from the men encircling them.  “Go sit down for a while and pull yourself together.  Everybody out of here until we’re sure there won’t be another.  I’ll fetch Mr. Martin.”

Eli left the men clustered around the mine entrance and made his way to his horse, mounted up, and galloped away.

~~~~~

The Kid helped Walt to his feet while tucking the older man’s gun into his holster.  

“What happened?” asked Walt, dazedly.

“I don’t know, but I’m going to find out.  My partner’s down there.”

“I’m coming with you.”

Clambering down the ladder, both men stopped at the bottom.  “Is there another lantern down here?” snapped the Kid.

“I don’t know!  I didn’t even know there was a down here down here!” snapped Walt, angrily.

“Stay close!”  The Kid crossed to the wall opposite the pipe, put his one hand out so his fingers lightly brushed it, and started to run into the darkness with Walt right behind him.  He almost immediately slowed to a fast walk, Walt bumping into him before matching his speed.

“Why are you stopping?”

“I’m not gonna risk knockin’ myself out by runnin’ into a rock wall when my partner needs me.”  The Kid held one hand in front of him and kept a feel of the wall with the other.  It wasn’t long before he tripped on a jumble of rocks, slowing them further.  The two men shuffled on until they couldn’t go any further.  The entire tunnel had collapsed in on itself.  The Kid began tearing away rocks while Walt examined the blockage by feel.  They worked for a long time until their hands bled and they couldn’t catch their breaths.

“I’m sorry, Noah, it’s no use.  This tunnel is closed up tight.”

“No!” moaned the Kid, redoubling his effort to make an opening.

“You’d best pray the cave-in killed him quick,” said Walt.

“No!”

“It’d be a kindness over suffocating.”

The Kid slumped to the ground and covered his wet eyes.  “This can’t be how it ends!  It can’t!”

Feeling his way to the Kid, Walt put a hand on his shoulder and shook him gently.  “I’m sorry, but it’s best you accept it now.  Your friend is gone.”  

~~~~~

Eli was elated but dead tired when he rode into his yard.  He dismounted and led his horse towards the barn, stopping in his tracks when he saw his father’s horse tied next to two unfamiliar animals.  The sun had just peeked up over the hills to the east and he shifted his glance to the waterfall.  “No, no, no, no!”  Dropping his reins, he drew his pistol, and raced into the cave only to find Walt and the Kid climbing out of his mine shaft.  “Stop!” he yelled.  

Both men ignored him and walked by without even glancing at him.  

“I said stop!”

Together, the Kid and Walt turned to face him.  Walt spoke quietly but with great emotion.  “A man died down there.  I want to know what you’ve been up to, boy!”

Eli faltered.  “He had no business being down there.”

“Neither did you,” countered Walt.  “I’m fetching Charlie.  He’s the closest thing we’ve got to the law ‘round here.”

The Kid watched Eli absorb the statement.

“I can’t let you do that, old man.”

“You gonna shoot me?”  Walt stared at his son.

“I did what I did for us, Pa, don’t you get that?” Eli pleaded.  “I’ve been workin’ every night.  I was almost there, too.”

“Almost where?” asked Walt.

“Almost to the Buzzard.  They’ve been hauling out all that silver and the only ones gettin’ rich were them.”

“They’re doing the work, Eli.  The silver is theirs; their claim says so.”

“I don’t care what their claim says!” yelled Eli, waving his pistol.  “I’ve been busting my butt tryin’ to tap into their lode.  Do you get how hard it was to haul that dirt out without you getting wise?! I haven’t slept in months.  Don’t you see?  We need that money and it’s in there.  I know it is.  I just need a few more weeks and I’ll get to it.”

Walt shook his head despondently.  “So, you’re the one who’s been causing all the trouble at the mine?”

“I couldn’t let them finish that spur.  They’d have found my tunnel.  I couldn’t have that.”

The Kid, watching father and son, carefully took a step to his left.

“Don’t you move!  I’ll plug you; I swear I will!”  Eli’s eyes were bulging as he glared at the Kid.

“You don’t have a tunnel anymore,” said Walt.  “The whole thing caved in.”

“What?!!”  Eli glanced towards the shaft.  “No!  I set the charge just right.  It was the spur that collapsed.  I saw it.”

“YOU did this?!!” roared Walt, reaching for his son, but halting as the gun swung back to his belly.

“I didn’t mean to kill anyone, but I ain’t goin’ to jail.  I can’t let you two leave.”  Eli’s finger tightened on the trigger and a single report echoed through the cave.

Walt staggered as his son sank to the ground, clutching his gun arm.

“Agh, it hurts.  Aw, it hurts!” cried Eli, writhing in the dirt.

Kicking the gun away from where it had dropped, Walt looked at the Kid, the Colt .45 in the younger man’s hand, still smoking.  

“I’m sorry, Walt, I couldn’t stop him any other way.”

Walt nodded.  “I reckon if you’d tried, we’d both be dead.”  He crouched by his son.  “From the looks of that arm I don’t think you’ll be shooting a gun at anyone ever again.”  He spit his disdain.  “You ain’t no son of mine no more.”  He stood up.  “I’ll fetch Charlie.  Noah, you keep him down.”  He started to leave, then paused and turned around.  “I sure am sorry about your friend.”

The Kid watched Walt leave, then swung his attention back to where Eli writhed on the floor.

“What’re you gonna do to me?” asked Eli fearfully.

~~~~~

Alone in his thoughts, the clattering of hooves on stone caused the Kid to lift his head from his hands.  He stood up and waited for the men to arrive.  Listening to them approach, he stared at the ground.

“Well, aren’t you even going to say hi?” asked a familiar baritone voice.

The Kid’s head snapped up and he stared, bewildered, at Heyes.  “I…you were….”  Rushing the few feet between them, the Kid threw his arms around his partner and lifted him off the ground, swinging him around.  “You’re alive!  How are you alive?”  He released Heyes, one of his hands refusing to let go of his friend.  

Charlie and the others all watched from where they stood just inside the entrance.

“The blast took out the tunnel on this side, but it also blasted a hole through to the other.  Took me awhile to crawl out but Charlie was waiting when I did.  Seems Eli doesn’t know the first thing about shoring up a mine or about setting dynamite,” grinned Heyes.  “Blew his own work up, but barely touched the spur.”

“I thought you were dead.”

Heyes studied the pained eyes of his partner and tentatively asked, “Where’s Eli?”

The Kid gestured towards the shaft.  “He’s down there.  I figured he deserved to know how it felt.”  A horse blanket weighed down by a torn-out section of the ladder that had carried Heyes into the shaft, now covered the hole.  “He’s alive,” he added for the benefit of the other men.

“Let’s get him out of there,” said Charlie to the other men as the two friends walked out into the sunshine.

“Where’s Walt?” asked the Kid.

“Gone to do his chores.  He didn’t need to see his son hauled off in chains.”

~~~~~

“Good work, you two.”  Lom nodded.  “The governor’s real pleased.  Town’s got its water problem solved and the mine’s up and running.”

“Pleased enough to give us our amnesties?” asked the Kid, his head cocked to one side.

The Favor by Inside Outlaw Lom_s_10

“Well…” began Lom, his smile slipping a little bit.

“Forget it, Lom,” said Heyes.  “We’re out of here.  Let the governor know he’ll be hearing from us soon.”

“Now, Heyes, don’t go doing something you’ll regret,” cautioned Lom as he watched his friends start to leave.

“Oh, we’ve already done that, Lom,” said Heyes.  “We regret wasting three years of our lives we’re never getting back.”  The door slammed hard behind the two ex-outlaws.

~~~~~

“Did you mean it, Heyes?  What you said to Lom?” asked the Kid as the two men rode out of Porterville.  “We’ve got enough money to last us a while.  We don’t have to go back to outlawin’.  At least not yet.”

Heyes looked over at his best friend.  “Do you want to?”

“I don’t know.  Maybe, but maybe not.  Do you?”

A huge grin crept onto Heyes’ face.  “Not sure.  But I know I want Lom and the governor to worry about it for a while.  A good, long while.”

“You know, sometimes I really like the way you think.”

~~~~~~~~~~

Author’s Sources:

https://online.nmartmuseum.org/nmhistory/people-places-and-politics/water/history-water.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1884#:~:text=The%20Panic%20of%201884%20was,a%20recession%20into%20a%20depression.

https://www.farmanddairy.com/columns/earliest-steam-engines-used-to-pump-water/549187.html

https://coloradoencyclopedia.org/article/precious-metal-mining-colorado

https://www.invent.org/inductees/simon-ingersoll

Nightwalker and Gemhenry like this post

Penski
Post Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:12 pm by Penski
Another great episode by Inside Outlaw! Love that Heyes and the Kid were upset about yet another favor for the governor - those don't go well. Interesting learning about the mining back then and the different superstitions. Love angst and you did it so well towards the end. Yep, if no amnesty, maybe we'll go back to outlawing. Well done!
goodone
Post Sat 10 Jun 2023, 3:17 pm by KimL55
Enjoyed this. Those poor boys and that darn governor. Loved the ending!

Penski likes this post

Post Sat 10 Jun 2023, 3:19 pm by Uk_rachel74
Oh that was fun IO! Bang in character and a lovely bit of emotion in there. Loved the guest stars you chose too! Excellent :)
Oh and the banter at the end was perfect!

Penski likes this post

Post Sun 11 Jun 2023, 1:11 am by Laura
A really good story. Those dang governors and their favors. I agree with Kid, it is time that he gets to choose the aliases. Not sure which is worse, working in a mine or herding cattle. They are good at working security, they know their stuff. A good thing that Eli didn't know how to use dynamite properly. Loved that they left Lom wondering what they are going to do and now he has to tell the governor, that will be fun.

Penski likes this post

Post Sun 11 Jun 2023, 8:10 pm by nm131
Good episode. One knows that water rights in the west was fought over and still is to this day. Only it wasn't the water but silver Eli was after. I must admit I suspected Walt was in on it until the end. I loved the ending and have to agree that it's a good idea to let the Governor wonder awhile about Heyes and Curry's intentions. LOL Pigg? Heyes is being typically Heyesian in his needling his partner with the choice of names.
Post Mon 12 Jun 2023, 7:53 am by Gemhenry
A great episode, I can certainly understand their leanings towards giving up on the amnesty deal but they don’t really want to go back to outlawing. And I would agree with Heyes, Noah Pigg just doesn’t sound like as alias. A really enjoyable virtual story.
RE: The favor
Post Thu 15 Jun 2023, 8:50 pm by Kattayl
Figured from the title that the governor wanted something from them again.  And they had the perfect in character reactions to being asked yet again...and no closer to that amnesty.  Noah Pigg made me laugh.  Excellent episode!
Post Tue 27 Jun 2023, 10:43 am by Nightwalker
Wonderful story. I would have loved to see it as an actual episode on screen.
moonshadow
Post Fri 30 Jun 2023, 2:40 am by moonshadow
A very enjoyable read and so rich in information about mining! I enjoy an episode where I can learn something new and this VS story didn't disappoint.
All of us are probably still grinning about the alias, Noah Pigg. Heyes really does have some sarcastic humor at times. Poor Kid!
I loved the reunion between Kid and Heyes - it's always a joy to watch when they aren't on their guard and don't hold anything back when it comes to their relationship.
I was on the fence about Walt, but pretty sure Eli was involved somehow, I just didn't know how or how much. You did an awesome job keeping us entertained with solving the mystery.
As writers we keep using the Governor needing Heyes and Kid for one more job... I can't say as I blame them for how they handled it this time at the end.
Post Sun 09 Jul 2023, 5:52 am by Dan Ker
Your story starts with an impressive, powerful introduction!
It is so believable Heyes and Curry are all riled about another wrapped up order in form of another 'favor'.
I very much like that you describe the scene by using several descriptive adverbs, which are creating an almost palpable atmosphere, such as
'nonconsciously, defensively, nervously, coldly'.
Already in the intro you point out an important principal or basic attitude which will be picked up later on with typical adjustments we all know from the series.

The task at hand requires a certain amount of detective work, careful thought and problem-solving. Perfect for Heyes and Curry.
I love Kid's hot-tempered reaction, and to see Heyes fuming inwardly is a treat. I almost feel sorry for Lom. His job as an in-between with his two "wards" is not easy....
Again, I admire Heyes' and Curry's self-confidence and, despite Lom being their friend, he gets his share of their anger.

Kid's way of emptying his bag is really amusing and fitting in my opinion!
Again and again it is funny to read sentences such as
"You better not be saying what I think you’re saying", followed by "You are saying what I thought you were saying". Or, "Do you you see what I think I see?"

Their quest for amnesty already takes longer than they expected and it is believable they are fed up. Heyes' decision to seize up the opportunity to earn some extra money can be regarded as an almost defiant act - after all, jobs done for the governor are non-profitable, and therefore a plan to increase their financial reserves to possibly leave the country is their plan B.
Brilliant Heyes' way of reasoning Kid into accepting the job. Close to the series.
"We won't be working for anyone but ourselves" and "selling information without any commitment to anyone." Absolute in character.

I very much like the negotiation about their job. Together with them spitting up to gather information their interaction turns out well balanced.

Darkness, narrowness, old tales are scary even for experienced ex-outlaws. Of course, they would never admit, it only is visible in their nervous banter.
Beautiful how you emphasize Heyes' instincts they usually can rely on. As well as his ability to react quickly to unforeseen situations. His eloquence "saves their butts" once again and his talent to asses things impartially is amazing. Qualities which are important to survive. But without Kid's constant faith and support they wouldn't work all by themselves. Together they are the best! That's the spirit...

You are experienced enough to know how to increase tension and to work towards a climax.
The structure of your story is well done. The ending returns to the scene at the beginning.
My heart beats faster to see a glimpse of deviousness and retaliation - justified. They are true to who they are and don't back off easily or bend too much.

The topic 'greed' excists everywhere, no matter what time.
The most beautiful form of it is curiosity (like in Heyes' case), the most ugliest form is financial greed and envy.
While reading, several idioms popped up in my mind, such as
Greed is the root of it all,
Greed knows no bounds,
Greed is a cancer/disease....
With this ulterior motive, you used a great basic idea for a fine adventure story!
Post  by Sponsored content

The Favor by Inside Outlaw

Page 1 of 1