Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

All the World's a Stage by Calico

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

All the World's a Stage by Calico Empty
PostAll the World's a Stage by Calico

Starring

All the World's a Stage by Calico Pete_a10
Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes
and Ben Murphy as Kid Curry

Guest Stars

All the World's a Stage by Calico 1_dere10
Derek Jacobi as Hiram Macready

All the World's a Stage by Calico 2_mery10
Meryl Streep as Martha Macready

All the World's a Stage by Calico 3_rupe10
Rupert Everett as Will Whittaker

All the World's a Stage by Calico 4_roge10
Roger Davis as Agent Falk

All the World's a Stage by Calico 5_pern10
Pernell Roberts as Jack De Vere

All the World's a Stage by Calico 6_dian10
Diana Muldaur as Mrs De Vere

All the World's a Stage by Calico 8_rudy10
Rudy Vallee as Mayor Thomas Fennyman

All the World's a Stage by Calico 9_ann_10
Ann Sothern as Mrs Fennyman

All the World's a Stage by Calico 7_juli10
Juliet Mills as Jenny

All the World's a Stage by Calico 10_hea10
Heather Menzies as Jessica

And, special guest star

All the World's a Stage by Calico 0_j_d_10
J D Cannon as Harry Briscoe

All the World's a Stage
by Calico

INTERIOR OF TRAIN CAR

On one side of the corridor two gentlemen are deep in conversation.  Across from them sit two familiar figures.  The Kid, knees spread, arms folded across his chest, hat tilted over his face, swaying gently with the motion of the train, is, apparently, asleep.

Opposite him, Hannibal Heyes is, apparently, reading The Creede Courier.  The camera follows the line of the brown eyes and lingers on the newsprint; ‘Mysterious disappearance of valuable ruby.’  And, below the headline; ‘Top Bannerman agent refuses to confirm or deny link to recent jewellery thefts in Denver.’

The sound mix adjusts.  Gradually, the clickity-clack of the train on a track recedes.  The conversation of the gentlemen sitting across from the ex-outlaws mutates from background murmur to fully audible.

The elder is speaking.  Tall and silver-haired, he cuts an impressive figure.  His well-modulated, voice flows like cream from a fine porcelain jug.  “I remember a job in Buffalo, back in the late 1840s…”

“I worked in Buffalo three years back, Sir.”  With pride, “My first time as juvenile lead.  I was cast as…”  The youngster with the embroidered waistcoat does not stand a chance.  

“Not so many trains back then…” pours on the cream.

Brown eyes slide to the right, indicating the newspaper no longer has Heyes’ full attention.  The expression on the dimpled face suggests, like us, he is now eavesdropping.

“Back then, I made the journey to Buffalo by canal.  And, since I had been resting… Waiting for the right role to come along – you know how that is…?”

“Oh, yes.  I sure know how that is,” agrees Waistcoat.

“Being not in full possession of the requisite fare, I sought kindness from strangers and I – I believe the correct expression is hitched?  Yes, I hitched a ride from a barge transporting goods to farms near the town.  A pleasant youth, but his goods… Not so pleasant.  Pungent rather.  Not to put too fine a point upon it, he was transporting manure.  A useful commodity, no doubt.  Necessary to agriculture, no one can deny.  But, pungent.  Anyhow, this kind young man gave me transport.  I explained I was an actor – on my way to Buffalo to take up a minor role in…”  The voice lowers for a moment, “The Scottish Play.”  Both men gently tap the wood of the table.  “And, since I seated myself upwind of his cargo, all was harmony.”

The newspaper in Heyes’ hands lowers.  He shifts in his seat, turning just a shade towards Silver-Mane and friend.  Yes, he is definitely listening.

“All harmony, as I say, until, we approached a lock.  The lock-keeper came out to us and called ‘Name your cargo’ – as I believe was the custom back then, to determine the toll to be charged.  ‘Toll free!’ replied my young benefactor.  ‘I carry ten tons of …’” Silver-Mane pauses and shakes his head sadly.  “I will not repeat his words verbatim.  Let us pretend he used the word – manure.  I wish he had used the term – manure.  Let my wish be father to the fact, and let us resume.  ‘I carry ten tons of manure!’ cried my young friend, ‘And – an Actor!’  The lock-keeper opened the lock – and, in the leisurely time of the waterways we were on our way.

As is the way with canals, we came to a second lock.  Again, a lock-keeper came out to us and cried; ‘Name your cargo’ and, again, my travelling companion replied, loud enough to raise Cain; ‘Toll free!  For I carry nothing but ten tons of manure...’”  Silver-Mane pauses for a moment.  “’And – an Actor.’  On we journeyed to the third lock.  The same exchange.  ‘Name your cargo’  ‘Nought but ten tons of manure, and, an Actor.’  We approached a fourth lock.  ‘Name your cargo’… I could stand it no longer.  I rose to my feet, I held up my hand…”  Silver-Mane does, indeed, hold aloft his hand.  “And, I called…”  The rich voice rings out; “‘Dear boy!  May we have a word about the billing?’”

Embroidered waistcoat applauds gently at the end of the anecdote.  Across the corridor, there is a smothered laugh from Hannibal Heyes.  Silver-Mane and Waistcoat look over to the ex-outlaw.  

“I guess you caught me eavesdropping,” says Heyes.  “Sorry.”

All the World's a Stage by Calico Pg_2_h10

“Do not apologise, young man.  As you have no doubt deduced, we are both actors.  What is an actor without an audience?”  Silver-Mane smiles, kindly, gesturing at the empty seat opposite.  “As your own companion is wrapped in the arms of Morpheus, pray join us, Mr. – er…”

“Joshua Smith.”  Heyes holds out his hand.

The elder man eyes his young companion with meaning.  

Waistcoat makes a sweeping gesture towards the elder man, his voice heavy with respect.  “May I introduce, the great actor-manager, Hiram Macready?”  

“No relation to the great William Charles Macready, alas,” regrets Silver-Mane as he shakes Heyes’ hand.  Heyes looks blank for a second, then adopts a politely impressed expression.  

“And this,” says Macready, returning the favour, “Is Will Whitaker.  A most talented juvenile lead.”

--oooOOOooo---

LATER

Heyes now sits with the actors.  The Colorado scenery still rolls past the window.  All is friendly.  Silver-Mane, or as we now know him, Hiram Macready, is midway through another anecdote.

“Only one line did the poor boy have.  ‘It is.’  Two words, four letters.  That is all he had.  ‘It is.’  Over and over he rehearsed.  ‘It is.  It is.’  All possible emphases.  ‘IT is.’  ‘It IS’.  All manner of delivery.  ‘It is???’  ‘It is!’  ‘IT IS!!!’  Then on the first night, right on cue, he stepped forward and bleated, ‘Is it?’”

--oooOOOooo---

LATER STILL

Will Whitaker’s turn; “So, I wrote back, asking, which Witch?  Because, although any work was welcome when I was starting out, still one didn’t want to dent a burgeoning reputation.  So, I needed to know, which Witch?  First Witch – I could work with that.  Second Witch - one begins to demur.  Third witch – well, a man has his pride.  Which Witch?”

--oooOOOooo---

Macready is once again in full flow.

“…And he got his revenge.  Oh yes.  As you know, the message that the Queen has died is the cue for the ‘Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow’ speech.  A veritable feast for any actor.  My friend Jack, he walked up to the Scottish King, before a full house too, and declared, ‘The Queen my lord, she’s getting better’…”

Both younger men laugh.

“Ah!  Joshua, I believe your friend is about to leave off slumbering near.”

Indeed, Curry’s slow, even breathing is interrupted by a snort, then, a shake of the head.  One finger pushes up a brown brim.  

“Welcome back, Thaddeus,” says Heyes.  Blue eyes blink at him, then, at the two actors.  “This is Hiram Macready and Will Whitaker.”  Still emerging from sleep, but ever civil, the Kid touches his hat.  “Thaddeus Jones,” fills in Heyes.  “Thaddeus, these fellas reckon they have work for us in Stratford.”

“Stratford?”

“Not on Avon, alas.  Stratford, Boulder County,” explains Whitaker.

“It just means getting off a couple of stops earlier than we planned,” says Heyes.

“Strictly speaking, I leave all backstage hiring to my dear wife.  She has all my confidence.  The three years she has graced my life have proven her worth indeed above rubies.  But, there’s always work for craftsman like yourselves among the stagehands, Mr. Jones,” smiles Macready.

Kid Curry shoots a silent reproach at his partner.  

“You are a skilled carpenter like Joshua, here?”

“When you say skilled…” demurs the Kid.

“Sure, he is,” says Heyes.  “He’s just being modest.  Did either of you ever see the meeting hall in Wickenburg?”

Two heads shake.

“Thaddeus and me – we built that!”  

Heyes receives the look.

--oooOOOooo---

MORNING – EXTERIOR

Establishing shot.  A bustling Western street prepares for another day.  An air of newness and prosperity.  Exterior of a fine brick-built building.  Stratford Municipal Hall.

ZOOM IN

An extra is completing the pasting of an impressive poster of a silver haired noble, clad in much tartan, an animal pelt and a crown.  

Renowned actor-manager, Hiram Macready presents; MacBeth.
Sponsored by; Mayor Thomas Fennyman

Sharp eyed viewers will note the mayor has claimed almost equal billing.

A well-dressed woman, carrying a small parcel exits the Hall.  The man wielding the paste brush touches his hat, respectfully, as she passes.  

ZOOM OUT – MIDDLE DISTANCE

The camera follows the woman’s progress down the street.  She passes behind two fellas, one black-hatted, one wearing a brown number.

ZOOM IN

Heyes is using a handy hitching post as a place to rest a sheet of paper on which he writes.

“To Sheriff Lom Trevors, Porterville,” he reads aloud.  “Any news from our mutual friend?”

“Tell him where we are…” prompts the Kid.

“Send reply to telegraph office, Stratford…”

“Not on Avon.”

“We did that joke already, Kid.”

The pencil moves again, “Boulder County, Colorado.  Your friends, Smith and that other fella.”  

The Kid checks.  Despite the spoken words, Heyes actually writes; Jones.  

“Okay,” Heyes folds the paper and puts the pencil in his pocket.  “I’ll send it.  You go get us a table.”  Both ex-outlaws turn.  Across the street we see both a telegraph-come-post office, and a cafe.  They exchange a smile, and off they stride in diagonally different directions.

Half a minute ahead of Heyes, the well-dressed woman is already mounting the steps to the telegraph office.

--oooOOOooo---

INTERIOR TELEGRAPH OFFICE

Heyes enters.  The green-visored clerk is dealing with the lady.  

“Yes, ma’am.  You want recorded and confirmed delivery to…”  He adjusts his eyeglasses, “19 Maiden Lane, San Francisco.”  

Heyes reacts, glancing at the respectable-looking, middle-aged woman with mild surprise.

“Let’s see, ma’am…”  The clerk pops the parcel on the scales.  His finger runs down a table of rates.  “That’ll be six dollars.”  

She pays and turns.  Heyes tips his hat; it is her turn to react.  A puzzled crease appears between her brows.  She takes a moment to button her gloves and turns back for a second look as Heyes leans on the counter and hands over his own telegram.  

“To.Sheriff.Lom.Trevors.Porterville.Stop,” rattles the clerk.  “Any.News.From.Our.Mutual.Friend.Stop.Send.Reply.To.Telegraph.Office.Stratford.Boulder.County.Colorado.Stop.Your.Friends.Smithandjones.” He looks up from his form.  “Smithandjones?  That you?”

“I’m just Smith,” replies Heyes.

The lady, delivering one final tug to her glove, gives a sceptical little smile, and leaves.

--oooOOOooo---

A CAFÉ – BREAKFAST TIME

Heyes enters and is waved over by his partner.  Curry sits by the window with Will Whitaker.  

“Will asked us to join him.” explains the Kid, already wrapping himself around a plate of ham and eggs.

A pretty waitress bustles over.  

“I’ll have what he’s having,” says Heyes.  “And, coffee.  Thanks.”

The Kid gives the waitress a charming smile.  To no avail.  She flutters her lashes in the direction of Will.  Curry eyes the handsome young actor, lets his gaze drop to a jaunty, silken necktie, and sniffs.

“Let us take the wise advice and breakfast like kings,” says Will.  “Fortification for the day ahead.  For you two – to build the battlements, for me, to man them.”  A pause.  “Provided…”  Will taps the wood of the table.  “You get hired.”

Kid Curry stops chewing.  “Mr. Macready seemed fine with us yesterday.  Told us to report at eight thirty sharp.”

“Indeed, Sir was all amiability,” agrees Will.  “But, you’ll recall he did say, strictly speaking, it is Madame – Mrs. Macready – who handles all the non-artistic aspects of the business.”

“Non-artistic?” queries Heyes.

“The money,” supplies Will, with a certain distaste.

“Ah.  The money,” repeats Heyes with no distaste whatsoever.

“Any reason she wouldn’t hire us?” checks Curry.

“None at all,” reassures Will.  “Any company always needs stagehands.  And, you’re two real likeable fellas.”  The charm of the smile he directs at the Kid draws a wistful sigh from the waitress, audible across the full length of the café.  

“Thanks, Will.” Heyes seems genuinely touched.  

“To say nothing of being skilled carpenters.”

“Yeah, let’s say nothin’ of that,” agrees Curry, shooting a glance at his partner.

“And, the Scottish King will need battlements,” says Will.

He and our own Heyes tap on wood.

“The Scottish King?  Y’mean MacBe…?”

“NO!!”  Two voices drown out Kid Curry.  

“We never mention the name of the Scottish Play – nor its King,” breathes Will.  “Not unless on stage.”

“It’s bad luck,” explains Heyes.

Kid Curry raises an eyebrow, but says only, “Sure don’t want none of that.”

--oooOOOooo---

EXTERIOR

Establishing shot.  Middle-distance.  The two ex-outlaws, plus Will Whitaker, climb the steps to enter the Stratford Municipal Hall.

INTERIOR

Ushered gently by young actor, Heyes and Curry sweep off their hats as they approach a desk at which sits a well-dressed lady, her head bent forward over a set of ledgers.

As she looks up, Heyes reacts.  It is the same woman he previously saw in the telegraph office.  Kid Curry sees the recognition on his partner’s face.  He glances over at the lady.  She, too, is clearly taken aback at the sight of Heyes.”

Under his breath, “Problem?  Does she know you?”

All the World's a Stage by Calico Pg_6_k10

“Nope.  Leastways, she was at the telegraph office earlier.”

“That all?”

“Sure.  Except…Nope.  Nothing.”  

“She sure is starin’ hard at you for nothin’.”  

They reach the desk.  “Mrs. Macready?” checks Heyes.  She nods.  “Your husband told us to report here, ma’am.  Eight thirty sharp.”

“Ah!  You are the gentlemen seeking work as general factotums?”

“Is ‘factotum’ theatre speak for ‘gopher’?” checks the Kid.

“More or less.”  To Heyes, “Mr. – Smith, was it?”

Heyes nods.  “Joshua Smith, ma’am.  And, this is Thaddeus Jones.”

“Pleasure, ma’am,” says Curry.

“Smith and…”  Her voice is sceptical.  “Jones.”

This awkward moment is interrupted by a cheery interjection from Will Whitaker.  “Smith and Jones!  It didn’t occur to me before, but, it’s like two bad aliases in a comedy-drama.”

The smiles on two handsome ex-outlaw faces become a tad frozen.

“Isn’t it just?” agrees Mrs. Macready.  A pause.  She regards the two young men, hats held to chests, in front of her.  There is a visible relaxation of her stern face.  “Well, I can’t deny you two gentlemen are polite.”  She glances at a watch pinned to her bodice.  “Punctual, too.  And you, Mr. Smith were out even earlier taking care of your correspondence.  I approve of early rising.”

“Seize the day, ma’am; that’s our motto,” says Heyes.

“Indeed?  Let me be clear, gentlemen.  The reputation of this company is very dear to me.  If you are in mine and my husband’s employ, I expect you to behave in a way that sustains that reputation.  I do not want to hear any reports of drunkenness.”  Two heads shake.  “Nor gambling…”

Brown eyes flicker.  

“Nor, ahem, loose behaviour.”

Blue eyes assume an expression of deep innocence.

“If that is clear…?”  She pauses for a response.

“Yes, ma’am,” says Curry.
“Yes, ma’am.  No reports back,” echoes Heyes, more carefully.  “Got it.”

“You may consider yourselves hired.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”
“Appreciate it, ma’am.”

--oooOOOooo---

LATER – INTERIOR

In a scene reminiscent of Wickenberg, our two boys sit aloft the wooden eaves of the building, hammering.  Or to be more accurate, Kid Curry is hammering.  Hannibal Heyes stares, rapt, at the stage upon which a rehearsal is in progress.  From a distance, we get a brief glimpse of the First Witch in action.  

“MacBeth, MacBeth, MacBeth,” intones the impressive voice, “Beware MacDuff!”

The Kid gives a muted yelp as he strikes his own finger.  He sucks the bruised digit and glowers at his partner.  

All the World's a Stage by Calico Carpen10

“Why’d you say carpenters?  We coulda been – I dunno – we coulda been the guys shakin’ that dumb thunder sheet.”  

“Thou hast harped my fear aright,” says Heyes, softly, eyes still on the stage.

“Huh?”  Then, annoyed, “Heyes, are you listenin’?”

“What?  Sure.  We are gonna be the guys doing the storm.  We’re helping out with all the sound effects.”

“Since when?”

“Since I offered.”  A smile dimples Heyes’ cheeks as he continues to stare down at the stage.  “We’ll be there for every performance.”  He looks over, sees the Kid’s disgruntled expression.  “What?  You just said you wanted to shake the thunder sheet.”

“Instead of hammerin’ nails, sure.  Every dang evenin’ when I was plannin’ a little friendly poker, or catchin’ up on sleep – not so much.”

“MacBeth has murdered sleep,” murmurs Heyes.  Then, “Kid, not two days ago you told me all you wanted was a quiet town, a sheriff we’d never met, and a paying job that didn’t mean eating dust behind herds of ornery cattle.  True?”

Kid sighs, then shrugs a yes.

“Here we’re getting three squares a day.  A clean place to stay.  The boss is a decent enough fella…”

“Decent?  He’s…  This morning he called me fair stalwart youth!”

“So, he don’t recall your name.  So long as he don’t call you Kid Curry – what d’you care?”

Curry mulls for a moment.  “Lotta truth in there,” he admits.

“AND, we get to be part of all this!” enthuses Heyes.  “Within this wooden O we cram all of life!”  Dark eyes return to where MacDuff’s troops are preparing for battle.  Wistfully, “How come it don’t get to you, Kid?”

“Well, for a start – look at ‘em now.  Walkin’ about carryin’ fake leaves…”

“That’s Birnam wood coming to Dunsinane...”

“What it is, is a dumb plot to creep up on someone pretendin’ to be a tree.  And what’s even dumber is – it’s gonna work.”  Under his breath, “No wonder you like it.”  He returns to hammering.  “It’s a decent job workin’ for a decent enough man, in a real nice town, Heyes.  I’m givin’ you that.  Can you just try and ease up on the…”  He searches.  “The stage-struck stuff.  And, for Pete’s sake, can you pick up a dang hammer and help with these battlements.”

“Otherwise, the trees have nothing to creep up on, huh?” smiles Heyes, picking up a hammer.”

--oooOOOooo---

EXTERIOR

The words ‘Opens Tonight’ is being pasted over the MacBeth poster.

--oooOOOooo---

THE THEATRE WINGS

Hiram Macready is on stage.  His acting style has plenty of mid-century histrionics, but, there is no denying his skill with the verse.

‘Methought I heard a voice cry 'Sleep no more!
MacBeth does murder sleep'…’

In the wings, Kid Curry shakes a thunder sheet.  Heyes blows down hollow pipes to make an eerie wind sound.  Will Whitaker, strikingly handsome in tartan and wearing a simple gold coronet, is rolling dried peas on a drum to simulate pelting rain sounds.

'Glamis hath murder'd sleep, and therefore Cawdor
Shall sleep no more; MacBeth shall sleep no more.'

Heyes, sweating slightly, puts down the pipes to shake two rain sticks.  He then picks up and shakes a second thunder sheet.  He then retrieves the pipes.  

Another actor, a few years older than Will, fully dressed as a Scottish thane including huge auburn beard, lounges in the wings, smoking a cigarillo and watching the effort.

‘I'll go no more:
I am afraid to think what I have done;
Look on't again I dare not.’

Heyes appeals to the lounger, “Jack, can’t you help?”

“I’m a principal.  It’s understood – principals do not do sound effects.”

Heyes glowers at Jack and lowers the wind pipes.  “What happened to; the play’s the thing?”

“I’m a principal too,” protests Will.  “If Prince Malcolm can help out, I reckon Banquo can.”  

Curry switches to thunder shaking one-handed and picks up and expertly twirls a rain-stick with another.  He, too, glowers at the thane.  

Will rolls the peas.  “C’mon.  You know how Sir is if the storm falls short of his expectations.”

Jack’s face wavers.  “Oh… Give them here!”  He takes the pipes from Heyes and achieves a much-improved wind wail.  

‘How is't with me, when every noise appals me?’

Will ceases rolling peas and beats on the drum.  Heyes, shakes a thunder sheet overhead, beats on the floor with a boot, and, throwing back his head, let’s out a wolf howl.

The four men working in unison are now producing a raging cacophony.  

‘Wake Duncan with thy knocking!  I would thou couldst!’

Hiram Macready strides off stage left.  He glowers at the foursome who tone down the effects as – in the background – a comic porter enters stage right.

A gnarled hand raises heavenwards.  “Where was my storm?!  Where were the lamentings heard i' the air?  Where the strange screams of death?  Where clamour'd the livelong night?  Did you re-write the bard?  I ask for tempests – and you give me a gentle breeze!!”

Off he goes.  

The offended ex-outlaws stare at Will.  “The storm never meets Sir’s expectations,” he sighs.

--oooOOOooo---

LONG SHOT OF STAGE

The company take a curtain call.  The audience are on its feet applauding.  Hiram Macready steps forward for a solo bow.  Cheering.

--oooOOOooo---

FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER – BACKSTAGE

Macready, still in costume, his quietly dressed wife by his side, is being congratulated by a few select townsfolk.  In the background, Heyes picks up dropped branches of Birnam Wood.  Kid Curry is pushing a broom.  Gophering.  A visible parting of the townsfolk is seen.  An imposing man, and even more imposing woman approach Hiram Macready.  

“My dear Sir,” trills the stately lady.  “Thank you so much for bringing such a cultural treat to our town.”

“Not at all, my dear Madam.”  Her hand is reverently kissed.  “It is we humble actors who should thank Mayor Fennyman and yourself for making it all possible with your generous patronage of the arts.”

There is a smattering of applause from the actors.

“That’ll be the mayor,” deduces Kid Curry to Heyes.

“That’ll be the money,” deduces Heyes back.

“As there is no performance that day, we are hosting a party this Sunday,” says Mrs.  Fennyman, “to express our appreciation to you all.  Supper, music, dancing.  I do hope you will accept our invitation, Sir?”

A grateful ripple runs through the actors and actresses.  

“With pleasure, dear Madam.”

“Is the invitation restricted to – er – principals?” checks Mrs. Macready, quietly.

We see MacDuff’s soldiers, one of whom bears an uncanny resemblance to Monty Laird, droop in disappointment.

“No, no…” protests the mayor.  He is decidedly less refined than his wife.  “Everyone!  All the fella’s carrying spears at the back.  All the pretty gals in britches playing pages.  The lot.”

MacDuff’s gang perks up, as do a couple of pretty gals in britches.

The mayor waves a hand in the general direction of Kid Curry.  “Even that fella pushin’ the broom.  Open house.”  He hooks his thumbs into his waistcoat.  “It ain’t as if I can’t afford it.”  

“How about that for a gracious invitation, Kid?” murmurs Heyes.  “Even lowly us.”

“Supper, music and dancing at the rich folks’ house,” muses Curry.  “I’m not complainin’.”

--oooOOOooo---

A SHORT WHILE LATER

ESTABLISHING SHOT OF SIGN HUNG ON DOOR
GENTLEMAN SUPPORTING PLAYERS

One of the pretty gals we saw earlier, is helping the Kid polish up dirks with gem-studded handles before returning them to a prop box laden with costume jewellery.  

“What did you think of my performance, Mr. Jones?”

“Er… You were the one in the pink tights and blue ribbons?”

“MacDuff’s page, that’s right.  And, I was an eerie spirits in the prophecy scene.”

“The part with gals dancin’, dressed in gauze?”

“That’s right.”

“I liked that part.  You were great, ma’am.”  He treats her to his best smile.

To one side we see Hannibal Heyes roll his eyes.

“Call me Jenny.”

“Thaddeus,” supplies the Kid, still smiling.

“Did… Did Mr. Whitaker mention my performance at all, Thaddeus?”

The Kid’s smile switches off.  “Nope.  Sorry.”  

Heyes coughs to cover a laugh.

We stay focused on Heyes.  He has picked up the crown Hiram Macready wore earlier and is wiping it with a cloth.  He pauses.  He frowns.  He gives another rub to the brilliant red jewel set squarely in the centre, studies it more closely.

Meanwhile, Jenny places two shimmering earrings against her pink lobes.  “Wouldn’t it be wonderful if these were real?”  

Kid Curry looks at the contents of the prop box.  “Sure would,” he agrees, with ex-outlaw avaricious feeling.  “Hey, Joshua, are you cleanin’ that crown or makin’ friends with it?”

“Huh?”

“We were saying, Mr. Smith,” says Jenny, “Wouldn’t it be marvellous if the jewels were real?”

“Wouldn’t it just?” murmurs Heyes.

Suddenly, the door is flung from ajar to fully open, and Mrs. Macready strides up to Heyes.  

“I’ll take that, Mr. Smith,” she snaps, taking the crown from him.  “Miss Brown!”  

Jenny gets to her feet, eyes wide with apprehension.

“Why have you not informed Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones that I, and only I, ever handle props belonging to Sir?  I am sure my instructions on that point have been crystal clear.”

“Sorry, Madame.  Sir must have left it here by mistake after he thanked the supporting players.”

“Perhaps so, but that does not answer my question.”

“Sorry, Madame.  I guess I got talking and forgot.”

“Jenny didn’t see what it was I’d picked up,” tries Heyes.

“Please do not interrupt me, Mr. Smith.  Miss Brown, did you also forget to pack away the greasepaint in the lady supporting players’ dressing room?  As I instructed you to do.”

“I’ll go do it now, Madame.”

“Indeed, you will, Miss Brown.  And, please remember, I am approached almost daily by aspiring young actresses wishing to work with this company who would not repay me for the opportunity by gossiping with the stagehands rather than getting on with post-performance chores.”

“Yes, Madame.  Thank you, Madame.”  A red-faced Jenny flees.

“It wasn’t her fault.  I was askin’ about the play and she didn’t see…” begins Curry.

“You are very chivalrous Mr. Jones, but I do not require advice from you, nor from Mr. Smith, on the handling of younger members of the company.”  

“No, ma’am.”

A pause.

“Well, perhaps I was a little harsh.  It has been a long day.  As you are now aware, it is a most strict rule that only I ever handle any costumes or props belonging to Sir.”

“I think that’s most understandable, ma’am,” says Heyes.

She gives him a sharp look.  He returns it with such dimpled innocence that, after a moment, her face relaxes.

“May I congratulate both you gentlemen on the storm?  You clearly worked very hard.  A most commendable performance.”

“Sir wasn’t satisfied,” says Heyes.

“Sir is never satisfied with the storm.  I, however, was extremely pleased.  Well done.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”
“Thank you, ma’am.”

Mrs. Macready leaves, taking the crown with her.  

“Tough lady,” remarks Heyes.  

“Maybe her being the one layin’ down the law leaves her husband free to be everyone’s friend and, y’know, keep it all about the art,” suggests Kid Curry.

“Maybe,” says Heyes.  He picks up a glittering string of green gems from the props and holds them up to the overhead oil lamp.  

“They’re not real, Heyes.”  

“Nope.  These are not real.”

--oooOOOooo---

SUNDAY – THE MAYOR’S PALATIAL HOME

Kid Curry weaves back to his partner through a crowd of folk all dressed up in their best.  He carries a generously laden plate in one hand and a full glass in the other.  “Nice party,” he remarks.  “But…”  He moves to avoid a tickling leaf.  “What’s with all the trees?”

“It’s an orangery,” says Heyes.  “I hear Mrs. Fennyman had it modelled on the one at Mount Vernon.”  

“Uh huh?” grunts the Kid.  He takes a sip from his glass.  A bottom lip twitch signals mild distaste.

“Now what’s wrong?”  

“Not wrong.  Just… This punch is missin’ something.”

“Which bowl did you go for?”

Kid Curry nods at an impressive crystal tureen.

“That’s for the temperance folk.”  Heyes indicates a glistening silver-gilt vessel almost big enough to double as a horse trough.  “Try that one.  Believe me…” He sips his own glass, appreciatively.  “It’s missing nothing.”

“How come you always got the answers?”

“Isn’t that the arrangement?”

The Kid grins at that.  He tips his sadly temperate drink into a huge terracotta plant pot and sets off for a more satisfactory refill.

“Tchah!” tuts Heyes.  “Can’t take him anywhere.”  He swiftly shuffles the newly punch-stained stones under some of their still dry neighbours.  The orange tree is once more surrounded by gleaming white pebbles.

He moves to join his partner, young Jenny, and the actor we know as Jack, at the buffet table.  

We follow Heyes’ point of view over to where the Mayor and Mrs. Fennyman are speaking with Mr. and Mrs. Macready.  Young Will Whitaker and a stunning redhead are with them.

“I have so missed theatre since I came out West,” declares Mrs. Fennyman.  “I adore Shakespeare.”

“Do you have a favourite play, Mrs. Fennyman?” asks Mrs. Macready.  “If so, I am sure my husband would be pleased to present it after the run of the Scottish play.”

“I would not presume.  Any work of the bard chosen by Mr. Macready will be welco…”

“I have a favourite play,” interrupts the mayor.  

“Then, sir, please name it,” says Hiram Macready.  “And like Burbidge’s men before Lord Southampton, it will be our pleasure to oblige our modern-day generous patron.  Twelfth Night, perhaps?”

“Davy Crockett.”

There is a pause.  A shiver runs through Hiram Macready.  By contrast, young Will Whitaker beams in delight.

“D’you know it?” asks the mayor.

Another pause.  The mayor is delightfully unaware of the disapproving, and embarrassed, frown of his wife.  Her hand plays nervously with the string of impressive pearls around her throat.

“Oh, yes,” says Mrs. Macready.  “We know the play well.  We will be delighted to present it for you.”

“It will be a – a true contrast to our current production,” says Macready.  “So – so, widely popular with the masses.”

“You always say, Madame,” says Will, “there’s nothing like Davy Crockett for putting bums on…  I mean, for ensuring a full house.”

In the background, Jack whispers to the boys, “You see, Davy Crockett is really all about the juvenile lead.  That’s why Will is so keen.”

“I think we got that,” smiles Heyes.

“Mind you,” Jenny helps herself to another pastry, “he is very good in it.  You should see how many girls hung around outside the theatre trying to meet Will last time we put on Davy Crockett.  I don’t blame them, him being so very handsome – you can hear all the fans fluttering when he holds the door closed against the howling wolves.  And, when it comes to the kissing under the mistletoe scene – oh my.”  

Jack gives a short laugh, “He is pure girl bait.  What a waste.”

“What’s a waste?” asks Jenny.

Jack and Heyes exchange a knowing glance.

“Nothing,” says Jack.  

Jenny sighs; “If only Mrs. DeVere and Miss Hepworth would both twist their ankles – I might have a chance at playing Little Nell.”  Her eyes continue to watch Will, thoughtfully.  She gives herself a little shake.  To Jack; “Not that I want your wife to break her ankle, of course.”

With a disgruntled expression, Kid Curry glances from Jenny to the handsome juvenile lead.

All the World's a Stage by Calico Pg_15_10

Will apparently senses he is being watched and turns.  He spots Kid Curry looking over, smiles and raises his hand in a half salute.  

--oooOOOooo---

NEXT MORNING – THE CAFÉ

Curry applies himself to a plate of ham and eggs.  Heyes is reading.  A close up shows he has a battered copy of ‘Davy Crockett, or Be Sure You're Right, Then Go Ahead’.

“Another storm.  And, I reckon we need to practice our wolf howls, Kid,” he remarks.

Something catches his eye.  Over the top of his slim booklet he watches Mrs. Macready, small parcel in hand, head for the telegraph office.

“There she goes again,” he murmurs.  His eyes move left.  “Kid, I think we’re about to have company.”

Will Whitaker comes in and over to their table, sits down.  The waitress is definitely all of a flutter as she scampers over.  Kid Curry eyes first her, then Will, his brow lowers.

“Just coffee for me, my dear.  What’s that?  An autograph?  My pleasure.  Your name?   Daisy?  That is so pretty.  There…”  A flourishing signature is added to a keepsake book.  “To a spring-time Daisy, most charming of flowers – from Will Whitaker.”

Kid Curry chews morosely.  

“I went to the play twice, Mr. Whitaker.  I thought you were marvellous!”

“That is too kind of you, dear Miss Daisy.”  

The Kid rolls his eyes.

“I’ll get your coffee, Mr. Whitaker.”  Off she goes.

“Ah, the admirers.  One of the trials of an actor’s life.”

“Yeah.  It must be a real strain,” scowls Curry.

“Indeed.  Now, Thaddeus, Joshua, have you heard the news?

“Rehearsals for Davy Crockett start today,” says Heyes.  “Yup, we heard.”

“Not that – though, yes.  The other news – about the mayor’s wife…”

“What about her?” asks the Kid.  “She want your autograph too?”

“You remember her pearls…?”

“Sixteen-inch strand, graduated freshwater pure white rounds, gold clasp with mother of…”

Kid Curry coughs warningly.  Heyes changes tack, smoothly.  

“You mean her necklace?  Was it pearls?  I didn’t pay much attention.”

“It’s gone.  Mrs. Fennyman believes it’s been stolen.”

The two ex-outlaws exchange a glance.  

“What, after the party last night?” asks Heyes.

“That’s the thing…  She noticed it missing when she went up to bed.  So maybe during the party.  They’ve searched the place, but, nothing so far.”

“I guess it coulda fallen off during the dancin’,” says Curry.  “It might still turn up.”

“It might,” agrees Heyes, but he does not sound too sure.  His eyes gaze, thoughtfully, at the telegraph office.  

The coffee arrives.  

“Will you be playing Davy Crockett, Mr. Whitaker?” breathes waitress Daisy.

Modest charm; “All casting decisions will be taken by Sir, but one does hope…”  

Kid Curry mops up a last lick of egg with a hunk of bread and pushes away his plate.

“I guess playin’ Davy Crockett will make a change from MacBeth.”

Will reacts to the name, stands up, turns around, taps the table and sits back down.  Heyes also taps on wood.

“Thaddeus,” begins Will, “Do remember, except when on stage we never say…”

“Not that you were playin’ MacBeth…”

Will stands, turns and taps.

“You were Malcolm…”

“We never say the name of…”

“IN MacBeth.”

Will turns, taps.  Watching him, young Daisy starts to giggle.

“We don’t say the name of the Scottish play.”

“What – MacBeth?”

Will turns and taps.

“It’s bad luck…”

“Is that why you’re spinnin’ like a top – to ward off bad luck?”

“Yes.  So please…”

“Every time I say MacBeth?”

“Yes!

“Okay, I’ll try and remember to call it the Scottish play.”

“Thank you.”  Will sits down, picks up his coffee cup.

“Not MacBeth.”

Will stands.  He turns, “Thaddeus, I’m starting to think you’re yanking my chain.”

Kid Curry stands too.  “Why would I wanna yank your chain?”  He puts on his hat.  Heading for the door he adds, “I got it now.  Don’t say, MacBeth.”

Wearily, Will spins one more time.  Then, to Heyes, “What brought that on?”  

Heyes shrugs.  “Will, weren’t you performing in Creede a few weeks back?”

“That’s right.  King Lear – more storms!  And Much Ado.  I was Edgar and Claudio.  Edgar’s a difficult part.  All that ‘Tom’s a cold’ prancing.  And, you get so overshadowed by Edmund... ”

Heyes attention has strayed back to the street.  He watches Mrs. Macready, now without her small parcel, exit the telegraph office and walk back to the municipal hall.

--oooOOOooo---

LATER THAT DAY – THE THEATRE

In the wings, Kid Curry, paintbrush in hand, is sprucing up scenery designed to look like the interior of a log cabin.  Heyes is half-heartedly dusting a large mirror, but, in reality is fascinated by the rehearsal in progress on stage.    

‘Little Nell’ played by the gorgeous redhead from the previous evening struggles in the unwelcome grasp of her forced fiancé, played by Jack, in a fine false moustache.

“Unhand me, sir!  Oh, will no one come to my aid?”

In an undeniably impressive entrance, a buckskin clad Will bursts upon the scene with a flying leap through the window.  He ducks a blow and floors the fiancé with a redoubtable – if non-contact – right hook.  

There is dawning reluctant admiration in the Kid’s face as Will sails over the windowsill.  

“I guess he is pretty good.”

“Davy!  My hero!” gasps ‘Little Nell’.  She is kissed.  And kissed.

“That’s a bit much,” protests Curry.  “She’s a married woman!”

“Who are you, Kid?  The league of decency?”

“She’s Jack’s wife.  How’s he stand it?”

“We’re in a dang theatre, Kid.  She’s acting.  So is Will.”

“Even so.  Besides…”  He watches Will nuzzling the red curls.  “I’m not so sure he IS acting.”  

“That’s shows he’s good.  Trust me, he’s acting.”  Heyes watches.  “Though, I’d have lifted her chin with one finger before kissing her.”  

--oooOOOooo---

LATER

“Unhand me, sir!  Oh, will no one come to my aid?”

Will leaps and…  “Owwwww!  My ankle!”

Hiram Macready, directing from the stalls stands.  “No!  Not Will!  Not when we’re doing Crockett!”

In the wings, Hannibal Heyes straightens.  His brown eyes are transfixed on the groaning figure on the floor!  They gleam with hope.

--oooOOOooo---

A MINUTE LATER

The stage is crowded with actors surrounding young Will.

“The doctor is coming, Mr. Whitaker,” flutters Jenny.

“I’m sure it’s broken,” groans Will.  “I won’t be able to go on.”

“We need a Crockett!” says Jack.

In the wings, Heyes moves forward, Curry murmurs under his breath, “You have gotta be jokin’.”

Heyes shakes off his partner’s restraining hand.  He takes a step onto the stage; “Ahem,” he coughs.  

“Could Jack play Davy, Sir?”  asks the stunning redhead.  

“My dearest Mrs. DeVere,” says Hiram Macready.  “No one thinks more highly of your husband’s talent than I do, but he is not a credible juvenile lead.”

“Sir is right,” agrees Jack.  “You know I’m no looker.  I’ll always be character parts.”

“Ahem.”

“What about Mr. Saunders, Sir?  He’s done romantic leads…” suggests the balding gentleman we caught a brief glimpse of as First Witch.

“So have I, George.  So have you in your day.  Mr. Saunders may be near a score years younger than either of us, but, I’m sure he would agree his leaping and brawling days are behind him.”

Heyes takes another step forward, “Ahem!”  

“We’ll have to change the play,” laments Hiram Macready.

“Ahem.”

“We can’t change the play,” protests Mrs. Macready.  “You know how much money the Fennymans have put into sponsoring us.”

Heyes leaves the stage at a quick pace.

“But, where can we find a Davy?” asks Macready.  “Where can we find someone tall, dark, handsome, athletic and with all the charismatic confidence of …”

His speech grinds to a halt as a tall, dark, handsome figure clears the sill of the stage window with a single bound, to land lightly amidst the gathered actors.

Heyes gallantly kisses the hand of an extremely surprised redhead, then makes a confident bow to a stunned Macready, “Sir, I wonder if I can help?”

Back in the wings, Kid Curry rolls his eyes.

---oooOOOooo---

Last edited by royannahuggins on Sat 25 Jan 2020, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

All the World's a Stage by Calico :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: All the World's a Stage by Calico
Post Sat 25 Jan 2020, 4:03 pm by royannahuggins
EARLY NEXT MORNING – STREET SCENE

Heyes and Curry exit the telegraph office.

“Still nothing from Lom,” frowns Heyes.

“Maybe tomorrow,” says the Kid.

They look down the street.

“Mrs. Macready coming to post another parcel,” remarks Heyes.  “What’s she up to?”

Indeed, there she is, walking down the steps of the municipal hall, a small package in her hand.  

“Sometimes, Heyes, you’re too dang suspicious.”

“Maybe.”

Kid Curry suddenly turns aside and pulls Heyes with him.

“Sheriff on the move and…”

“So?  We don’t know him, he don’t know us.”

“We know who’s with him,” Curry steers Heyes around a corner.

Two ex-outlaws surreptitiously survey the main street.

All the World's a Stage by Calico Pg_20_10

Two suited men are in conversation with a grey-haired, star-sporting sheriff.

The younger is a stranger.  The snake-featured elder is all too familiar.

“What the Sam Hill is Harry doing here?” asks Heyes.

“He don’t look too happy, does he?”

Indeed, Harry Briscoe does look glum as a disgruntled mule.

He trails behind the sheriff and the younger stranger.  They pause, survey the street.  The stranger is speaking, earnestly, to the sheriff.  He points in the direction of the municipal hall.  The sheriff nods, thoughtfully.

“Seems we’re not the only ones not pleased to see him,” remarks Heyes.

Mrs. Macready has slowed her pace.  She is definitely looking at the three men who stand between her and the telegraph office.  Her eyes note the sheriff’s badge.  The hand holding the package is slipped into a pocket and is withdrawn empty.  She alters her direction.  Rather than walk to the telegraph office, she goes over to a millinery store and studies the window display.  

“Still think I’m too suspicious?” asks Heyes.

“Yup,” says the Kid.  “But, that don’t mean you’re not right.  She sure changed her mind about where she was headin’.”  A pause.  “Heyes, d’you reckon it’s time to leave town?”

“How can we?  I’m opening as Davy Crocket tomorrow.  The play must go on.”

The Kid gives his partner the look to end all looks.

“What we DO need to do, is let Harry know we’re here – friendly like.”

---oooOOOooo---

A CORRIDOR

A still glum-looking Harry Briscoe unlocks a door and steps into a typical hotel room.  As he closes the door behind him, he reveals both to himself and us, a dark-haired ex-outlaw.  He opens his mouth, but, from nowhere, a hand clad in tan leather fastens over his mouth.  

“Harry,” smiles Heyes, “fancy meeting you here.”

---oooOOOooo---

THE HOTEL ROOM

Harry sits on the bed.  Heyes faces him in a chair.  The Kid leans against the wall from where he can keep a discrete eye on the street.

“What are you two doing here?”  

“We were gonna ask you the same question, Harry,” says Curry.

“I asked first.”

“We got jobs helping out the Macready Theatre Company,” says Heyes, succinctly.  “Your turn.”

“The Bannerman Agency is looking into a spate of jewel thefts.  All real fancy stuff stolen from folks with friends in high places.  Because of the friends in high places, Bannerman needed to put one of his best men on it.”

“An’ he chose you?”

Harry throws an offended glare at Kid Curry.

“And, he chose me!” he repeats, omitting the incredulous question mark. A glower.  “Leastways, he did.  Then, after the Creede ruby, this smart know-it-all – Frank Falk – who’s still wet behind the ears –– does what he calls a correlation analysis and comes up with a dang fool theory ‘bout the thefts all being in towns where this dang fool theatre troop has played.”  Harry’s shoulders slump.  “Falk’s not had four years’ service, but Bannerman handed over the lead on the case to him.  Dropped me down to number two.”

“Is he the tall slicker we saw you with in the street?” checks Curry.

Harry nods.

“And you think there’s a thief in the Macready Company?” asks Heyes, looking thoughtful.

“I didn’t.  I do now.  In fact, now, I’m thinking there’s two.”

“Harry!” Heyes’ brown eyes widen.  “We don’t DO that sort of thing anymore.”

“If we weren’t such good friends,” adds the Kid, with just an edge of danger, “we might take offence.”

Harry’s eyes drop for a moment to the Kid’s low-slung colt.  He swallows.

“Besides,” says Heyes.  “We only joined the theatre troupe here in Stratford.  We weren’t with them when that ruby went missing in Creede. You can ask anyone.”  Pause.  “Leastways – you can’t ask outright.  I’m sure we all want to be discrete about our past acquaintance.  But, you can let when we joined come up in conversation.  Casual like.”

“This casual conversation – it’ll be after we’ve left town?” checks Kid Curry.

“Nope.  We’re not leaving.  The show must go on.”

“Even with a top Bannerman – and Harry – buzzin’ ‘round?”

“Even then.”

Kid Curry rolls his eyes.

“Think about it, Kid.  If we leave town the minute he arrives, this Falk fella might get suspicious.”

“Some truth in there,” admits Curry.

“Harry,” Heyes leans forward, elbows on knees, chin resting on bridged hands.  “D’you want Falk to solve this case?  Or, d’you want him to fall on his face so Bannerman sees the error of his ways?”

“I can’t win,” sighs Harry.  “If we don’t solve it, Bannerman thinks we’ve both failed.  If we do solve it, Bannerman thinks it’s all due to Falk taking over.”  He mulls for a moment, then looks up sharply.  “Why?  D’you know something?”

Heyes purses his lips and gives a ‘maybe’ facial shrug.

“D’you know where the missing pearls are?”

“I don’t know.  But, I’ve an idea where to look.  Suppose you made a suggestion to Falk, and it worked out?”

Harry thinks.  “I guess it’s better than him finding them without me.”  

---oooOOOooo---

THE THEATRE

Backstage is crowded with actors, plus the sheriff, two sheepish looking deputies, Frank Falk, and a hopeful looking Harry.

In an establishing close up, the sheriff checks his watch.  It is 9am.

“Search where you will, my dear sheriff!” rings out the powerful voice of Hiram Macready.  “Never let it be said I impeded the law.  I and my actors have nothing to fear!  I will vouch for the honesty of every man and woman here.”  He flings his arms wide.  “Pray search me first!   Let my honesty be bruited to the world.”  His tone, already striking, enters full monarch mode, “The purest treasure mortal times afford is spotless reputation; that away men are but gilded loam or painted clay...”

Jack steps forward in front of the elder deputy, he also flings wide his arms.  “Let me be searched too, Sir!  That I should live so long to be so insulted.  Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; Take honour from me, and my life is done!”  The deputy shuffles his feet and throws a pleading look at the sheriff.

“And search me!” cries Will Whitaker, getting into the spirit of the thing.  Supported by a crutch, one ankle in a cast, he hobbles in front of the younger – and better looking – deputy.  His hands start to unbutton his shirt.  “Let me be stripped naked and searched to my skin!  There is no terror, Cassius, in your threats.  For I am armed so strong in honesty that they pass by me as the idle wind.”

The second deputy steps back and also throws a – desperate – pleading look at the sheriff.

The grizzled lawman clears his throat.  “Let’s all calm down.  No one is being insulted.  No one’s honour is being questioned.  And…”  He gestures Will to stop with the buttons.  “Most important, no one is getting stripped naked.  All we want is leave to search the backstage rooms.  And then, with permission, to search you folks.  Not here.  Somewhere a mite warmer and a mite more private.”

Tossing her magnificent curls, Mrs. Jack DeVere pulls young Jenny to her side and protests, in her best persecuted heroine tone, “I hope we ladies are to be excused the rude and forcing hand of brutish war – I mean, law?”

Both deputies blush.

“Indeed, we are not,” says Mrs. Macready, calmly.  “And, quite right too.  I have already agreed with the sheriff that a most respectable lady – a trained nurse, no less – will search us and report back.  I am sure that, like myself, Mrs. DeVere, you have no objection.”

“Oh,” Mrs. DeVere relaxes into her non-acting voice.  “No, I guess that’s fine.”

“My dear,” Hiram Macready kisses his wife’s hand.  “Your good sense and dignity, as always, are a lesson to us all.”  

“Thank you, ma’am,” chimes in the sheriff.  To the deputies, pointing to a room on the left; “Start searching that dressing room, fellas.”  To Harry Briscoe and Agent Falk, nodding to a room on the right; “D’you want to start on that one?

“No,” says Agent Falk bluntly.  “Briscoe and I want to start wherever the props are kept.”

“Those for Mr. Macready’s own use as well as the supporting players,” adds Harry.

“Let me show you the way,” says Mrs. Macready.  

Heyes watches her composure as she leads away the Bannerman.  He leans in to his partner.  “Something tells me Harry’s not going to strike lucky.”

---oooOOOooo---

THE PROPS ROOM

Heyes and Curry watch from a doorway.

Agent Falk kneels by the same box laden with costume jewellery we saw Kid Curry and Jenny polishing a few evenings ago.  He has a ‘sapphire’ studded dirk in his hands.  Harry stands beside him, examining a glittering chain of office.  Both use jewellers’ magnifying loupes.  

“It’d be easier without all this – this green stuff everywhere,” says Harry, pushing aside a large garland, the leaves of which are tickling his ear.  

“It’s the evergreens for the finale of Davy Crockett,” says Heyes.  “When I finally save the day, it’s Christmas Eve.  We all gather for a festive happy ending.”

Mrs. Macready enters by a side door, carrying a box.  She opens it.

“Here are the props Sir wore as the Scottish King.”

Falk seizes the crown eagerly and examines it with the magnifier.

“Anything?” asks Harry.

“Nope.  More paste.”  Falk sighs.  “Keep looking.”  

“Ah!  I understand,” says Mrs. Macready.  She looks directly, and challengingly, at Heyes.  “Whoever would think of searching for real jewels in a box full of fakes?”

“Only someone real smart, like Agent Briscoe, ma’am,” says Heyes, meeting her gaze fair and square.  “Same as it’d have to be someone real smart to hide them there in the first place.”

“That is clever, Agent Briscoe,” she agrees, still looking at Heyes.  “However did you think of it?”

“It – er – occurred to me,” says Harry.

“I will leave you gentlemen to your search.”  She turns to leave.  “Would you like me to take some of the evergreens out of your way?  They need to be hung on the third back set anyhow.”

Agent Falk shrugs consent.

Mrs. Macready gathers up festoons of holly, ivy, mistletoe and fir.  

“Ma’am, I need to talk to you,” says Heyes.  With meaning, “About the performance today.”  

“Certainly Mr. Smith.  Come along.  Do bring a garland or two.”

Heyes and Curry follow her out.  Agent Falk and Harry continue to examine jewel after jewel.  

---oooOOOooo---

A SMALL OFFICE

Still carrying greenery Mrs. Macready enters, puts the garlands on a side table, and seats herself behind a desk.  Heyes and Curry follow.  They too divest themselves of evergreens.

“Do take a seat, Mr. Smith, Mr. Jones.  How can I help?”

“We need to talk about the jewel thefts, ma’am,” says Heyes.

“Why is that?”

“Because the ruby on that crown may be paste now, but it was real enough three days back.”

“Indeed?”

“Yes.  And, I think you knew that.  I think you’re the one who hid it.”

“Have you shared your suspicions with anyone, Mr. Smith?”

“No.  I did suggest searching the props – but, I’ve not said anything about you to anyone except Thaddeus.”

“Joshua told me you’ve been sendin’ parcels back to ‘Frisco.  To nineteen Maiden Lane, ‘Frisco.”

“It got me wondering why a respectable lady like yourself is corresponding with,” says Heyes. “Since, Maiden Lane is not known for being respectable.”

“We both saw you turn tail this mornin’,” says Curry.  “Which got us thinking, whatever you’re postin’ – you don’t want to carry it past three lawmen.”

“Are you planning to share your suspicions with a wider audience now, Mr. Smith?”

“He might,” says Curry.

“You see,” Heyes continues.  “I think the Bannermans and the sheriff – who is no fool – are going to turn this place upside down and inside out.  I also think, however well you think you’ve hidden them, they’re gonna find a string of pearls.”

“They’ve gotta be here, because you can’t risk leavin’ with ‘em on you,” says the Kid.

“Once they’re found, even more lawmen will show up,” says Heyes.

“We think three’s more’n enough,” explains Kid Curry.

“And…” carries on Heyes.  “Everyone’s going to be under suspicion,”

“Includin’ us.”

“Which is going to be hard on your husband and the rest of the actors.”

“And, hard on us.”

“So, you see why I might share my suspicions, ma’am,” says Heyes.  A pause.  “Unless you want to hand over the pearls to me.”

Mrs. Macready smiles.  “If, hypothetically, I knew where they were, why on earth would I hand them over to you?”

“We’d return them,” says Heyes.  “Discreetly.”

“The mayor’s wife would just find them back in her house,” agrees Curry.  “Somewhere she mighta dropped them.”

“We’re still hypothetical here?” checks Mrs. Macready.  Two nods.  “Using your professional skills, you’d be able to break into the house...”

“Our professional skills?”  There is an edge of danger to Curry’s voice.

“Your carpentry skills.  Why?”  Another smile.  “What skills did you think I meant?”

“Are you going to give back the pearls, ma’am?”  Heyes’ tone is now very direct.

“Not to you, Mr. Heyes.  Nor to Mr. Curry here.”

The faces of both boys freeze at the names.

“And, you won’t be sharing any suspicions, because, if you do – I’ll have plenty of suspicions of my own for the sheriff.  For starters, the reason you know 19 Maiden Lane is not respectable is that you’ve been there.  You’ve met the owner, Danny Blue.  He’s a fence.  One of the best.  You were introduced to him by your mutual friend, Soapy Saunders.  You used 19 Maiden Lane for exactly the same reason I do – disposing of stolen jewels.  Of course, you don’t do that anymore.  You’ve gone straight…”

“How the Sam Hill…?”

“I knew you the moment I saw you, Mr. Heyes!  Granted, you never saw me before, because Danny never liked me mixing with the customers.  I always stayed in the back.  But, I’ve seen you coming to the house a couple of times.  I’m Danny’s sister, Martha.”

A pause.  Both ex-outlaws blink.  

“But Danny don’t even have a…” Kid Curry breaks off.  He corrects himself.  “I don’t recall him ever mentioning a sister.”

“Why are you doing this?” asks Heyes.

“For the money.  Why’d you think?”  Martha carries on, “When I met and married Hiram three years ago… And, who would have thought HE would give me a second glance, but he did!  Who would have thought we’d fall in love at our age.  But we did.  Anyhow, when I married him, I found for all his talent, the troupe was practically bankrupt.  Not one of them had any money sense.  We were scrimping and saving.  It was breaking Hiram’s heart.  And then… One of the rich ladies we were sweet-talking while she played at being patroness of the arts, dropped her diamond brooch.  I picked it up.  My hands were always quick, faster even than Danny’s.  Soapy often said I could have made a living running a bunko booth if I’d liked…”  

“And your brother fenced the diamonds for you,” finishes Heyes.

“It meant we could hire extra actors.  It paid for new costumes.”

“And the next time,” suggests Heyes, “you didn’t wait for the jewels to drop into your lap by accident.”  

“Correct.  Most of the ladies had insurance anyhow.  I told myself no one was really getting hurt.  I’m thinking you two know that old excuse?”

A glance is exchanged.  Two ex-outlaws give her facial shrugs indicating “Yup.”

“But - why are you still doing it?  You were sold out back in Creede.  You’re sold out every night here.  You’re a success.  I’ve done the math.  You’re turning a real healthy profit.  You could stop.”

“That’s a fair point, Mr. Heyes.  I – I did mean to make the ruby back in Creede the last.  Then, at the ball, I was listening to Mrs. Fennyman and her fancy friends pretending to take such a scholarly interest in Shakespeare – and her pearls were winking at me, it was so easy.  It’s not just the money.  There’s a thrill to it.  I’m good at this.  Very good.”  She smiles, ruefully.  “I’m thinking you know that feeling too.”

Another mute conversation.  Again, two faces indicate she has a point.

All the World's a Stage by Calico Pg_27_10

“We get it – and we’re in no position to cast stones,” says Heyes.  “The thing is, you need to realise what we realised.  However good you are – one day you’re going to get caught.”

“When you do, it’ll break your husband’s heart,” says Kid Curry.  “He loves you.  You got a lot to lose.  Maybe more’n we had.”

“I know,” she sighs.  She twists her wedding ring.  “The pearls are the last.”  Her eyes linger on the golden band.  Softly; “I swear.”

“Are you gonna let us return them?” asks Curry.

A pause.  Her brow furrows.  “After weighing the pros and cons – no.”

“But …” Exasperated, Curry opens the door and points.  

In the middle distance, we see Harry and Falk are now feeling along the hems of the stage curtains.  The sheriff is carefully examining the racoon tail on Davy Crockett’s hat.  One deputy is up a ladder feeling along the rafters where our two-some once sat hammering.  Another deputy has removed a floorboard in the stalls and is lowering himself under the floor, lamp in hand.

“D’you see that?  They’re not gonna let up.”  Curry closes the door.

Martha is still calm.  “Nothing going on out there makes me think they are more likely to find the pearls than to catch you and Mr. Heyes trying to return them.  I understand you’re trying to help – but, I still think the odds are better my way.”

“Suppose we make you tell us where they are?” Heyes allows an edge of danger into his voice.

“I don’t believe the Heyes and Curry my brother knew would hurt a woman just to get her to talk.  But, if I’m wrong – go ahead.  How long before my screams bring someone running and I have the sheriff check out wanted posters?”

The ex-outlaws stare at her in frustration.  

“I like you two.  I really do.  You’ve worked hard.  You’ve got on well with everyone.  You’ve been straight with me just now.  And, you…”  She looks at Heyes.  “Are digging us out of a hole with the play.  You remember lines after one read through and you’ve got real presence.  So, I’m going to make you an offer…”  To Heyes: “You concentrate on being the best Davy Crockett you can.”  To Curry: “Meanwhile, you can look for the pearls.”  To both: “If you’re clever enough to find them, I’ll believe you’re clever enough to return them.  How’s that?”

“He’s not going on as Davy Crocket with these lawmen buzzin’ round,” protests the Kid.  

“Oh yes he is,” she says.

“Yes, I am,” agrees Heyes, hands on hips as he stares at his partner.  

“Firstly, because there’s nothing safer than being hidden in plain sight,” says Mrs. Macready.

“Secondly, if I pull out now, folks will wonder why.”

“Thirdly, because Mr. Heyes knows that once he’s on stage as Davy, every man in the audience will want to be him and every woman will want to be with him.”

“She has a point, Kid.”  

“And, lastly… I’ll let Mr. Heyes tell you that himself.”

“First rule of theatre,” says Heyes.  “The show must go on.”  

---oooOOOooo---  

THE STALLS

The sheriff checks his watch.  It is 1pm.  Four hours have passed.  

One deputy still inches along the rafters.  The second is searching beneath every seat.

“We’re not letting up…”  Agent Falk is speaking to Mrs. Macready.

“But, you have our word, ma’am, everything will be returned to how it was and you’ll be able to open tomorrow night,” says Harry.

Agent Falk looks annoyed at this, but nods his agreement.

The sheriff grins.  “We’ve no choice, ma’am.  I’ve seats booked for opening night.  My wife and daughters would never forgive me if the show didn’t go on.”

“The show always goes on,” she replies.

“First rule of theatre,” chips in Curry, who is freshening up the paint of a forest backdrop.  A deputy tries to peer behind it.  The Kid obligingly lifts it aside.  The deputy tips his hat.

The sheriff looks up at the stage.  Hannibal Heyes, now in buckskins, leads Mrs. Jack DeVere (aka ‘Little Nell’) and Jack (aka ‘Neil Crampton’ her would-be fiancé) through the backwoods.  “Have no fear, Nell.  My cabin is close and will shelter you both until morning.”

“He’s good, isn’t he?” says the sheriff, boyishly.  

Kid Curry rolls his eyes.  

Mrs. Macready merely says, “A most confident performance for a novice.”  She turns.  “If you have finished turning my office upside down and inside out – I’ll go back to my work.”  She leaves.  

Our point of view moves forward.  

From the front stalls, Will Whitaker, sitting beside Hiram Macready calls out; “Joshua, after your line you need to stop and listen.  There’ll be distant wolf howls stage left.”  He demonstrates with a mild; “Aw-aw-aw-aooooowl.”

Heyes lifts his chin and cups a gloved hand behind his ear.  His brow furrows.  His shoulders square.  

“Then you sweep Nell into your arms and exit stage right, calling to Neil to follow you to the safety of the cabin.”

Heyes sweeps the lovely redhead into his arms.  She clings to him.  Her eyes fix on Heyes’ face, her lips quiver.

“Don’t return her adoring look.  Not yet…” directs Macready.  “You turn your eyes bashfully aside.  We’re still in the first half, dear boy.  Davy is shy and awkward around women.  That’s why Little Nell allowed me – her trusted but secretly wicked guardian – to persuade her to accept my nephew’s proposal.  Let’s try it again.”

Heyes restores Mrs. DeVere to her feet.  

“Sir – I’m worried Jack is blocking me.”

A paintbrush halts.  “Blockin’ him?” queries Curry

“It means standing in the way of all the folks having a clear view,” explains Will.

Kid Curry watches Heyes smooth his eyebrows into an even more perfect arch with a licked finger.  “A clear view of – him?”

Macready calls up to the stage.  “Jack, dear boy, would you be so very kind as to stop blocking Joshua?”

Reluctantly, Jack takes one pace back.

Heyes gestures away with one hand.  “…Hup-up-up.”

“Huh?” says Jack.

“Move further downstage.”

“If I move much further downstage, I’ll fall off!”

More Heyesian hand gestures, accompanied by “Hup-up-up,” noises more commonly used on ornery cattle.  Reluctantly, Jack moves.

Heyes throws out an arm and declaims, dramatically, “Have no fear, Miss Vaughn.  Whatever the risks, when danger rears its ugly head…”  Noble expression.  Other hand clapped to his heart.  “A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do!”  

The Kid shakes his head in disbelief.  

---oooOOOooo---

LATER STILL

The sheriff checks his watch.  It is now 5pm.  

“Okay, boys.  That’s enough.”  Two tired and very dusty deputies emerge.  One from a trap door under the stage.  The other from behind a freshly painted grassy knoll.  

“You’re giving up?” protests Agent Falk.

“For today, we sure are.  Everyone here’s been searched to their skin.  We’ve been over every inch of this place twice over.  No one even tried to stop us.  When you told me about this new-fangled correl… What’d’ya say it was?”

“Correlation analysis.”

“I had my doubts – but, I went along with it.  Now, I’m thinking all you have with Mr. Macready and his theatre folk is a plain old-fashioned co-incidence.”  He lays a fatherly hand on Agent Falk’s arm.  Quietly; “Let it go, son.  Can you think of one single place we haven’t looked?”

Agent Falk’s frown deepens.  Then, his shoulders slump.  “No, dang it, I can’t.”

“Where’s the other fella – Whatshisname?” asks the sheriff.

A cranking sound is heard.

“That’s it, Thaddeus,” encourages the voice of Hiram Macready.  “One more turn.”  

Both the sheriff and Agent Falk turn.  In the wings Curry turns a handle.  On stage the set rotates.  A murmur of admiration from several of the gathered actors is heard as the rugged cabin of Davy Crockett is replaced by the lavishly decorated parlour of Nell’s wicked guardian, Uncle Crampton.  It is festooned with festive garlands of holly and ivy.  A strategically placed bunch of mistletoe hangs over centre stage.  A gorgeously decorated tree is tucked into one corner.  In the other corner…

The appreciative murmurs give way to a few giggles from the younger actresses.

“Briscoe!” exclaims Agent Falk.  

A startled Harry looks up, then double takes, clearly taken aback to find himself with an audience.  Sheepishly, he replaces a rosy apple and a shiny clementine to their glass bowl.

“Were you searching the fruit bowl?” asks the sheriff.

“You never know,” says Harry.

“Perhaps, dear boy, you’d like to check the sugar basin?” suggests Hiram Macready.

“I already did,” says Agent Falk.  “I checked all the prop crockery.  C’mon, Briscoe.  The light’s fading anyhow.”  He takes a deep breath and re-squares his shoulders.  “We’ll come up with a fresh search plan for tomorrow.”  

Harry clambers down from the stage.  He throws a reproachful glance at Heyes and Curry.  They return it with apologetic shrugs.  Harry and Agent Falk leave.

“Before we continue with the rehearsal,” says Hiram Macready.  “Let us first applaud the efforts of…”  He gestures at Kid Curry.  “Of – er – this fair stalwart youth who has created such a vision of yuletide festivity.”

There is warm-hearted clapping from the actors.  

“Jenny and the other gals helped a lot,” says the Kid.

“I’m betting she’s not the one who painted the streaky night sky outside the window,” murmurs Heyes.  

He receives the look.

“My dear boy,” calls Hiram to Heyes.  “Let us rehearse the final scene…”  He mounts the stage.

---oooOOOooo---

FIVE MINUTES LATER

“Married?!” rages Hiram.  “To Crockett?  Then, my dear niece you shall shortly be widowed!!”

He levels his pistol at Heyes and fires.  Nothing.

“What you don’t know, Crampton,” triumphs Heyes.  “Is that after uncovering your evil plans I emptied your pistol.”

Jack leaps forward to attack Heyes.  He is athletically floored by a powerful – if non-contact – right hook.

“How could you betray me, Uncle?!” reproaches Mrs. DeVere, her magnificent eyes flashing.  “And you, Neil.  I thought you loved me – and all the time you sought only my fortune!”

“My scheming would have worked, if it wasn’t for you!” storms Hiram, with a bravura expression of thwarted maleficence.  His fist shakes at Heyes.  “Curse you, Crockett!”

---oooOOOooo---

TWO MINUTES LATER

“Oh, Davy,” breaths Mrs. DeVere, softly.  “I never dreamed you would ride off with me on my very wedding day.”

“Never dreamed?” scoffs Heyes.  “It was you reading to me about brave Lochinvar that put it into my head!”  He gathers her into his arms.  “And now, may I kiss the bride?”

“Well,” blushes Mrs. DeVere, “we are under the mistletoe…”

She is dipped with a flourish and thoroughly kissed.  And kissed…

In the stalls, Kid Curry scowls.  

Next to him, Jack DeVere muses, “He does make it look real.”  

The Kid’s scowl deepens.

“Wonderful, dear boy,” Hiram calls.  “Wonderful.”

Heyes releases Mrs. DeVere.  “Did you think so?  I thought the angle was wrong.  Shall I try again?”  

“No!” snaps Curry.

“I think – er – your boon companion – is right, dear boy,” decides Hiram.  “It was perfect.  And, well done to you too, dear Madam.”

“It was nothing,” says Mrs. DeVere, fanning herself.

---oooOOOooo---

MUCH LATER

The main lights of the theatre are now dimmed.  We hear voices as the camera pans back to the stage.

Hiram’s voice; “Don’t stay too long, my dear boy.  You need your sleep to be fresh for tomorrow’s opening.  Goodnight.”

Heyes voice; “Goodnight, Sir.”

Will’s voice; “Make sure he listens, Thaddeus.  See you both at breakfast.”

Curry’s voice; “G’night, Will.”

The ex-outlaws are alone on the stage.  

Kid Curry lets out a frustrated sigh.  “Well, that was a bust!”  In response to a questioning look from his partner, “Martha Macready was right.  We’re plain not smart enough to find her hiding place.”

“We?” Heyes queries, emphasising the plural.  He struts to the gilt framed mirror decorating the drawing room of wicked old Uncle Crampton.  The racoon hat is adjusted to a jauntier angle.  “I did my bit – my Davy will have ‘em cheering to the rafters!”  

Hurried footsteps alert both us and the boys, they are not alone.

“Well!” Harry scuttles down the centre aisle and mounts the stage.  “That was a bust!”

“We did that line,” says Heyes.

“Where’d you spring from, Harry?” asks the Kid.

“I’ve been outside – waiting and waiting for everyone else to leave.”  

“We ran late,” Curry’s voice is dry.  “Texas Jack, here, wanted to get the mistletoe kiss just right.”

“You said the pearls would be in the costume jewellery.”

“I said it’d be a good place to look,” corrects Heyes, mildly.

“They’re nowhere…”

“They’re somewhere.”  Heyes voice remains mild.  Satisfied with the angle of his hat, he is now primping the rawhide knots which fasten his shirt.  “We need to think…”

“Think??!!” Harry explodes.  “I’ve done nothing but think of hiding places all day!  Everything that moves has been turned inside out.  We’ve had the floorboards up and I've near drowned in dust hunting under the floor.  We’ve tapped all the dressing room walls for false panels…”

“That was my idea,” puts in the Kid.

“We even checked all the prop guns – making sure none have pearls for bullets…”

“That your idea too, Kid?” grins Heyes.

“Yup!” scowls Curry.  “It mighta been scrapin’ the barrel, but at least I’ve tried!  Seems all you can do is admire yourself like a gal primpin’ for her beau!”

“There’s no need to get proddy.”

“No need to get…!  When you stand there tellin’ us all we need to do is think!”

“You’re right, Kid.  After all, we do have an agreement on the thinking.”

Harry leans forward.  “We had a telegram from Bannerman.  If we don’t get a break before tomorrow he’s sending in Fields and Crowley from ‘Frisco.”  

“Weren’t they on the Brimstone train?”

Harry nods.

“Aren’t they going to wonder why Agent Gaines is playing Davy Crockett,” frowns Heyes.

“Nope.  They’re gonna wonder why Agent Grant’s playin’ Davy.  I’m Gaines,” says Curry.

“My career’s on the line here, boys.”

“Your career?” Kid Curry is not impressed.  “We’re lookin’ at twenty years if they ask too many questions.”

“We’re sold out all week.  We can’t cancel!”

Blue eyes and snake eyes both stare at Heyes in utter disbelief.

Self-righteously, “Hey, honest folk have paid good money to see me play Davy.  I can’t let them down.”

The blue eyes roll.

Despite everything, there is still hope on Harry’s face.  “Heyes, have you thought of anywhere else to look?”

A pause.  Heyes continues to stare into the mirror.  His lips press together.  A frustrated pucker appears between his brows.  It deepens.    

Harry’s face falls.  His shoulders droop.

Then… Heyes’ whole frame visibly relaxes.  The brown eyes gleam.  The brow pucker smooths.  Dimples dimple.  “Nope,” he smugs.  “You don’t need to look.  I’ve found the pearls.”

A short, stunned silence.

“Where?” asks Kid Curry.

“Come look where I’m looking.”

Both Harry and the Kid join Heyes at the mirror.  They stare into it.  The Kid steadily.  Harry’s eyes dart, frantically, from place to place.

“Not up the chimney,” Harry protests.  “It’s a fake.  We checked.”

“Nope.  Look.”

“Tell us,” urges Kid Curry.

“Remember something we heard earlier – about the safest hiding places being in plain sight.”

“That’s not tellin’ us!  That’s annoyin’ extra not tellin’ us!”

“Look, Kid.”  A slim finger points to the mirror.  “Look there.”

Kid Curry stares.  His frown also relaxes.  “Got it,” he grins.  “I’ve moved it a dozen times today.  How’d I miss ‘em?”

“Where??!!!” wails Harry.  “There’s nothing there!!”

---oooOOOooo---

OUTSIDE THE MAYOR’S MANSION – MOONLIGHT

Heyes, back in his normal clothes, and Curry, squat behind a neatly pruned shrub staring at the mansion.  

All the World's a Stage by Calico Outsid10

“Seems quiet enough,” remarks Curry.

Heyes checks his pocket watch.  It is a little after one.  “Should be okay,” he agrees.    

Soundlessly, our boys tip-toe around the back of the mansion.

---oooOOOooo---

A SIDE DOOR

Heyes is down on one knee, picklock in hand, ear to the door.  A click.  Gently he turns the handle.  It swings open with a soft creak.

In the distance, there is a screech.  Both boys freeze, then relax; only an owl.  With cat-like stealth the ex-outlaws slip inside.  They are in the same orangery room we saw during the party.  They approach one of the potted trees.

Heyes pulls a leather pouch from his vest.  He tips half a dozen pearls into his palm.  They gleam enticingly in the moonlight.  

Kid Curry delicately picks out a single pearl and rubs it against the bottom of his tooth.  “Gritty.  The real thing,” he nods.  He returns the pearl to Heyes.

“Never doubted it,” says Heyes.  “Top quality lustre too.”

“How much d’you reckon they’re worth?”

“About double the reward on us two.  Maybe a tad more.”  Heyes’ gaze lingers, wistfully, on the gems.  

Brown eyes lift to meet blue.

“Feelin’ tempted?” asks Curry.

“Yup.  Takes you back to that Bible in Bountiful, huh?”

“Are we gonna do the right thing again?”

“Sure.  Seeing how it turned out so well last time.”

Heyes receives the look.  A pause.  Two rueful grins.  

Heyes shuts his eyes and tips the contents of both his pouch and his palm into the plant pot.  

He takes hold of a branch of the tree and gives it a gentle shake.  A solitary leaf drifts down.   A harder shake.  Two or three more leaves join their fallen comrade.  

Our boys stare down.  Two sighs.

“I reckon it’s time for me to keep my promise to Will,” says the Kid.  “Get you back to town for what’s left of a good night’s sleep.”

---oooOOOooo---

NEXT MORNING – THE MAYOR’S MANSION

JAUNTY MUSIC OVER ACTION – NO AUDIBLE DIALOGUE

Harry ushers a reluctant Frank Falk towards the mansion, speaking and gesturing urgently.  Falk shakes his head.  Harry holds out both hands, palm uppermost, in a universal gesture of appeal.  Falk shrugs.

Harry runs up the steps to the front door, hammers on the ornate brass knocker.  A surprised housemaid, broom still in hand, opens the door.  Harry speaks.  She twists her apron and shakes her head.  She indicates the hall clock.  It is only a few minutes past seven.  

Harry gestures up the stairs, clearly pleading his case.  Agent Falk hangs back at the bottom of the steps, arms folded.  He looks away.

The maid relents.  She goes up the stairs.  Almost immediately Mayor and Mrs. Fennyman appear at the top of the stairs.  His hair is on end and he pulls a plush velvet dressing gown over his nightgown.  She is tying the ribbons of an elaborate silk and lace peignoir.  Down they come.  Annoyed, the mayor gestures at the clock.  Harry speaks urgently, hands clasped together in entreaty.

Agent Falk shrugs and points to Harry, clearly absolving himself of all responsibility.

---oooOOOooo---

THE ORANGERY

MUSIC CONTINUES - NO AUDIBLE DIALOGUE

Harry searches among the pebbles surrounding one of the trees.  He frowns, darts to another planter.  The mayor and his wife exchange glances and shrug.  They look at Agent Falk who taps his temple significantly.

Harry scampers to a third planter.  Searching.  He holds up a small white object triumphantly.  Mrs. Fennyman hurries over, takes it.  Stares.  Rubs it on her teeth.  Her face is a picture of joy as she turns to her husband.  

By contrast, Agent Falk looks pole-axed.  His jaw drops in disbelief.

Eagerly, Mrs. Fennyman searches the planter.  She finds a second pearl.  And a third.  The mayor joins her.  He finds a pearl!  Mrs. Fennyman cups one hand round her throat like a necklace, then with the other hand mimes tugging it.  Her fingers mime dropping from neck to pot.  She shrugs, her expression redolent of ‘who could believe it?’  She and the mayor stare at each other and laugh in delight.  Then, both clap guilty hands over their mouths in distress.  They straighten up and run to the door almost colliding.  They stop – exchange another stricken look.  They hurry back.  The mayor grasps and shakes Harry’s hand, slapping him on the back.  Mrs. Fennyman kisses Harry’s cheek.  

Then, the couple run out.

Harry grins at Agent Falk.  He leans over and, with one finger, closes the still gaping jaw.

---oooOOOooo---

ABOUT HALF AN HOUR LATER

THE THEATER

Heyes is on stage, listening to low-voiced advice from Hiram Macready and Jack DeVere.  His head nods, earnestly.  Mrs. DeVere is also on stage, in her little Nell costume.  Mrs. Macready kneels beside her, adjusting the hemline with pins.    

Curry is visible in the wings, applying a little oil to a door hinge.

The back door of the theatre swings open.  Will Whitaker, clatters in as fast as his crutch and one good ankle will carry him.  “You’ll never guess the news!”  He pauses.  Alas, that dramatic pause costs Will the next line.

Jenny bursts through the door, runs past Will, who is still limping up the central aisle, and cries, “Guess what?  Mrs. Fennyman has found her pearls!”  

“What?” exclaims Jack.  

“What?”  Mrs. Macready’s tone is colourless, but her face looks frozen as she rises from her knees.  

“No!!!” gasps Heyes, reeling back in shock.  “Have they caught the thief??!!”  

He receives the look from his partner.  There is also a sharp, suspicious stare from Mrs. Macready.  He returns the stare with a smile of the utmost innocence.  Her brows draw together.

“That’s just it!  There IS no thief…” explains Will.

“The pearls were in her own house all the time…” chips in Jenny.

“Mayor and Mrs. Fennyman are on their way here…”

“Mrs. Fennyman feels just awful…”

“Here they are…”

After this build up, the entrance of Mayor and Mrs. Fennyman, accompanied by a beaming Harry Briscoe and a scowling Agent Falk surprises absolutely no one.

A red-faced mayor bustles up the aisle.  To Hiram Macready; “Sir, I owe you – you and all your fellow actors – an apology…”

“Not that we ever really believed anyone from the Macready Theatre could be involved…” pants his wife.

The mayor throws a scowl in Agent Falk’s direction.  “I’m ashamed I ever listened to the suggestion that one of your troupe might be a thief…”  He hangs his head.  “I hope you can forgive me, Sir.”  Looking at first Jack, then Will, then Heyes, then Curry, “Mr. DeVere, Mr. Whitaker, Mr. Smith, er… The fella with the oil can.  “I apologise to you all.”

Hiram Macready is already down from the stage, striding towards the mayor.  “Dear Sir, there is nothing to forgive.  You were simply following the professional advice given you.  Besides, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned.”  He grasps the mayor’s hand, firmly.  “Give me your hands, if we be friends.”

Mrs. Fennyman, still flushed and recovering her breath, raises her eyes to the stony-faced woman on the stage.  “Mrs. Macready.  I can’t bear that you and the other ladies suffered the indignity of a search yesterday…”  She pauses, momentarily, to scowl fiercely at Agent Falk.  “…All due to my carelessness.  Will you forgive and forget?”

A pause.  Martha Macready looks at her husband.  As he smiles, her face softens.  “Of course,” she says.  “As Sir says, there is nothing to forgive.  And, even if there were, it is wise always to let bygones be bygones.”  She turns to Heyes.  “Holding a grudge is like being a sore loser – both are for folks with bad stomachs.  Don’t you agree, Mr. Smith?”

Heyes bows to her, and his tone is genuinely warm as he replies, “I think we agree about most things, ma’am.”

“It’s a case of All’s Well That Ends Well,” enthuses Will.  “Where did you find the pearls, ma’am?”

“I’ll let Mr. Briscoe tell you.”  Mrs. Fennyman beams at Harry.  “He thought of it!”  

“He told us where to look.  Agent Briscoe is the hero of the hour,” agrees Mayor Fennyman, thumping Harry enthusiastically on the back.  “That’s what I’ll be telegraphing to tell my old friend, George Bannerman.”

Despite already looking glum as a wet weekend, Frank Falk’s face falls still further.

“Where were the pearls, Agent Briscoe?” prompts Kid Curry.

“They were mixed up with all the white pebbles round one of the potted trees,” says Harry.  Receiving a meaningful look, he carries on a tad mechanically.  “The string must have broken during the party.”

“You probably walked past them dozens of times while you searched the house, Agent Falk,” says Heyes.

“Sometimes things are simply hidden in plain sight,” observes Mrs. Macready.  She smiles blandly at both ex-outlaws.

“True enough,” smiles back Heyes.  He turns.  “Don’t let it get to you, Falk.  When you’ve had as many years of experience as Agent Briscoe – you’ll do just fine.”

As Mayor and Mrs. Fennyman, shake hands again with Hiram, and prepare to leave, the point of view closes in on Martha Macready.  She walks over into the wings.  “Mr. Jones…”

“Yes, ma’am?”

“You will check that the mistletoe still has plenty of pearly white berries for the final scene?  I’d be sorry to see Davy and Little Nell kiss under something resembling a sprig of water cress.”

“Already taken care of, ma’am.”

“Thank you.”

“Not a problem, ma’am.  The show must go on.”

---oooOOOooo---

LATER – OUTSIDE THE THEATRE

Kid Curry strides towards the café.  

A beaming Harry Briscoe darts out from a side street and shakes the Kid’s hand vigorously.

“You shoulda seen the telegram Mayor Fennyman sent George Bannerman.  Said I had natural deductive instincts.  Said I was a shining credit to the Agency.  Falk’s sick as a dog.  Thanks, Kid.”  Harry looks around.  “Where’s Heyes?”

“Where d’you think?  Rehearsin’.  I’ve seen Wells Fargo drivers less stuck to their stage.”

“Well, if there’s any favour I can ever do you two...”  

Kid Curry lays a friendly arm around Harry’s shoulder.  “Now you come to mention it, Harry, there is somethin’…”

---oooOOOooo---

OPENING NIGHT

The set is the humble interior of Davy’s hunting hut.

“Alas…” quakes Jack DeVere (aka, cowardly Neil Crampton).  “The strength of the storm has broken the bar to the door!  Nell, we are doomed!”

Mrs. DeVere’s beautiful face quivers.  Her voice wavers; “The wolves are closing in…  Hear their hungry howls!”

Right on cue, “Aow–Owww – OOOOWWWWWWLLLLL!!!” echoes magnificently from stage left.

“Never fear, Nell!” rings out a deep voice.  “I’ll protect you!!”  A Heyesian arm is thrust, heroically, through the staples of the door.  The door rocks and, leaning his weight against it, Davy grits his teeth, manfully, against the pain.

Our point of view pans left into the wings.

Kid Curry, a rain-stick twirling in each hand, throws back his head.  Another full throated; “Aoowwwww – AOOOOWWW -  HaaaaWWWLLLLL!” echoes to the rafters.

Will Whitaker, seated with his bandaged foot on a packing case, puffs away on the wind pipes.  Stopping with the fluting, his head goes back.  “AOW.  AOW.  AWAOOOOOWWWWWWWWLLLL!!”.  Back to the pipes; Aeolian eeriness wails woefully.

Beside them, Jenny rolls peas on the drum.  Her high-pitched; “Aow. Aow. OOOOOOWWWWWLLLL!” sends shivers down the spine.  

All three stare, challengingly at the fourth member of the quartet.  Sweat streams from every pore of Harry Briscoe as he agitates the thunder sheet.  “Howl…” he bleats.  “Howl.  Arf.  Arf.  Woof.”

Kid Curry rolls his eyes and shows how it is done.  “Aooowww.  AoowwWWWW!!”  

The cacophony intensifies.  Until… It is almost drowned in the sound of thunderous applause and cheering from the audience.  The storm quiets.

A moment, then…  A furious Heyes explodes into the wings.

“WHERE the Sam Hill was my storm???”

---oooOOOooo---

MANY WEEKS LATER

Heyes and Curry, horses tethered to trees, sit at a campfire out in the wilderness.

“One of the best jobs we’ve ever had,” sighs Heyes.  “If only you hadn’t seen Wade Sawyer ride into town…”

All the World's a Stage by Calico 41_hh_10

“You hadta give it up sometime, Heyes.  Sooner or later someone in the audience would get to thinkin’ why Davy Crockett looked so familiar.”  Kid Curry sips his coffee.  He grimaces at the mug.  “At least Sawyer didn’t show up until Will’s busted ankle healed.”  

“Yup, the show could go on.”  Heyes sips his own coffee.  His brow furrows.  “Come to think of it, you saw Sawyer the self-same day Will first walked in without his crutch.”  He stares, suspiciously, at his partner.  “Kid…?”

Kid Curry returns the look with wide, innocent, blue eyes.  “What?”

“Nothing.  The show must go on.”

“First rule of theatre,” agrees Curry.  

---oooOOOooo---  

THE END

(If fanfic canon have we offended, think but this, and all is mended, that thou has but slumbered here, whilst ex-outlaws did appear.)

Notes:

1) Davy Crockett, or Be Sure You're Right, Then Go Ahead is an 1872 American play which became in its time; "one of the most revered plays of the nineteenth-century American theatre”.  The play's most memorable scene has Crockett use his arm to bar the hut's door against howling wolves.  Though often cited as a prominent example of a frontier drama, the play is more of a standard melodrama set in a frontier location.

2) Anyone familiar with Dorothy L Sayers’ Lord Peter Wimsey stories will know I have, affectionately, pinched a plot point from The Necklace of Pearls.

3) In the backstage world of theatre, some believe that the play MacBeth is cursed, and will not mention its title aloud, referring to it instead as "The Scottish Play".

(Writers love feedback! You can comment on Calico's story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen. You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous. You can type any name in the box.)
Penski
Post Sat 01 Feb 2020, 3:51 pm by Penski
Wonderful 90-minute special beginning to the Virtual Season 2020, Calico! I can so see Heyes getting into the theater life and the Kid rolling his eyes about it all. Adding a mystery to the story made it even better. Would love to see "Davey Crockett" starring Hannibal Heyes. Loved it! goodone
Post Fri 07 Feb 2020, 2:45 am by Nightwalker
My, what an impressive story and great start for the new Virtual Season! I entirely enjoyed the pilot episode - enthralling, funny and with perfect ASJ feeling.
What a great idea to introduce Heyes to the boards than mean the world. Of course, a successful con man needs high acting skills and we know both of our boys have their share of it, but I really can Heyes see jumping on the oppurtunity to show them to an audience and earn the appreaciation. That he not only was awarded with admiration by the audience, but the chance to get into closer aquaintanceship with a beautiful lady right in front of her husbands eyes didn't hurt either.
The criminal story line of your plot worked very well for me, too. I loved to meet Harry Birscoe again and the interaction between him and the boys.
To be honest, I would have loved to see this episode on screen not only in my mind. Excellent job!
moonshadow
Post Sat 08 Feb 2020, 3:23 pm by moonshadow
clap Bravo, Miss Calico,
Methinks thee should take a bow genius  for creating such a fun 2020 VS Season Opener!
It was a delightful read from start to finish. Your characters came 'alive', both in the story and on 'stage' as the play(s) progressed.
Hannibal Heyes is a ham extraordinaire - I grinned throughout his entire performance. He was in his element and had everyone eating outta his hand.
So many fun lines and the bantering between Heyes and Kid had me chuckling throughout the story.
The real behind-the-scenes look into how a play comes to life were extremely interesting and educational as well.
Two of my favorite parts were when Kid kept mentioning the real name of "The Scottish Play" on purpose to get a reaction -
priceless! giggle  and the howling wolves and the storms. rofl
I totally agree with Nightwalker - this would have been awesome to have been filmed as an episode! worthy
Post Mon 10 Feb 2020, 6:33 am by Nightwalker
Just passing on some feedback from Facebook:

"Bravo! Bravo! Absolutely LOVED it! A story that really came to life. (Plus you used my favorite word “proddy”) Could see Heyes on stage...and the too numerous to count Kid “eye rolls”...the clever way you incorporated past characters...Wonderful story!"

"Loved it, so much fun and a great 'episode'."

"Fabulous.... BRAVO darlings!"
All the World's a Stage
Post Sat 15 Feb 2020, 6:38 pm by LittleBluestem
Loved Episode 1! Loved the casting, loved the story, loved Heyes stepping in as an actor! Thanks for getting this new virtual season off to a great start!
Post Sun 16 Feb 2020, 6:00 am by Dan Ker
Reading the stories of the VS  is pure joy. Always written in a special way with its own rules. Completely different from stories on Fanfiction. Net. or AO 3.
No inner thoughts mentioned. Emotions you can only see by the actors expressions. Like a script.

The introduction story is written by one of the most experienced writers of ASJ.
Calico internalizes the concept with great ease and skill.
It's safe to say this story is easily to imagine on screen.
Getting to know some actors Mr Mcready's enthusiasm when he's speaking of the world of theater has an obviously contagious effect on Heyes. Believable to Heyes' self assurance, he always likes to be priority. To have a glimpse backstage and maybe enjoy another kind of fame....
Everyone has to start somewhere... But no problem for "skilled carpenters" to work as stage hands, even when their employer notices Smith and Jones are "like two bad aliases in a comedy drama". Simply wonderful to imagine their smiles become a tad frozen...
Calico beautifully captures the atmosphere of the series. The plot is thoroughly considered. In hindsight, if you skim again, it's marvelous to look at it from a different angle. It's a pleasure to roll up the story from behind. Some remarks are getting a complete different meaning.

But before they learn who their employer really is, it's splendid to see them working as 'gophers' with all the disadvantages... No gambling, no loose behaviour. Poor boys.
To see our handsome Kid Curry in the shadow of another handsome and honestly famous actor is something new and certainly annoying for him.

It's a pleasure to imagine Heyes working half-heartedly as a stage hand wistfully eying the events on stage. That must be his place, not pretending to be the storm. Wonderful how he manages to draw attention to himself.
And suddenly our dark, handsome, athletic and charismatic ex - outlaw with all his confidence is a part of the play... And so determined he's taking a high risk with all lawmen around. But very much in character.

For me some parts of the theatrical speech isn't easy to understand but I'm sure native speakers can enjoy this to the fullest.
Lovely the way Calico points out Kid's lack of imagination in contrast to Heyes' exaggerated comprehension.
I very much like Kid's role as an observer in the background with a lot of eye rolls and his "look to end all looks". I thoroughly enjoyed the scene where he tilts his moderate drink into the terracotta plant. Or his indignation when he says : "She's a married woman." Splendid Heyes' reply:"Who are you? The league of decency?"

The added crime story builds up tension. And detective Briscoe is the icing on the cake.
Maybe Mrs Fennyman must have been quite distracted that she didn't notice the loss of her necklace. But  again, as in every good ASJ sequence, Heyes and Curry are in no position to cast stones.

Very good the comparison of Mrs Mcready and the boys regarding their past. First the need of steeling to survive and then not to be able to stop because of the thrill.
Her acknowledgement of their skills is admirable. Calico uses a lot of strong sentences to show there still is honor among thieves and to explain her reasons :
- forgive and forget
- let bygones be bygones
- to take advantage of the opportunity
- to take matters in one's hands
- holding a grudge is like being a sore loser, both are for folks with bad stomachs.

Brilliant Heyes' remark about "Seize the day."
And Calico's repeatedly used expression " The show or the play must go on." And all fans of ASJ Fanfiction will agree to it....

Post Wed 26 Feb 2020, 4:02 pm by Fledge23
I love your stories. This has me smiling from start to finish. You make them so funny and I love your characterisation. Good job!
Post Sun 01 Mar 2020, 6:35 pm by Laura
Whats not to like. Our boys, a crime, a mystery to solve, Harry Briscoe. Heyes gets a chance to be the star of the show, of course, he would love that, loved all of Kids' eye rolls, but there he is supporting his partner as always.

All the World's a Stage by Calico

Page 1 of 1