Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Empty
PostIncident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow

STARRING

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Heyes_29
Pete Duel as Hannibal Heyes
Ben Murphy as Jed “Kid” Curry

GUEST STARRING

POSSE MEMBERS:

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Chill_10
Chill Wills as Sheriff Maynard Griffin

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Monty_10
Monty Laird as Deputy Charlie Decker

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Smith_10
Smith Ballew as Joe

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Denver10
Denver Pyle as Bart

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Wayne_10
Wayne Morris as Micah

GANG MEMBERS:

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Richar11
Richard Madden as John – Gang Leader

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Hank_w10
Hank Worden as Sam

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Ethan_10
Ethan Laidlaw as Jack

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Matt_c10
Matt Clark as Earl

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Russel11
Russel Johnson as Tucker

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Richar12
Richard Thomas as Riley

Incident at Hanging Lake - Part 1
by moonshadow

Hannibal Heyes leaned in closer to his horse's neck, turned his head and glanced back over his shoulder.  His eyes connected with those of the other rider and the men shared a look of mutual desperation. Heyes motioned for his partner to catch up.

Jed “Kid” Curry urged his horse to a faster pace and brought his mount alongside of Heyes, close enough to be heard over the sound of pounding hooves.  “You got any kinda plan yet?” he shouted.

Heyes ran his tongue over dry, cracked lips before he shook his head.  “No!”

“These horses are done in – an' so are we!”

Heyes nodded.

“That posse's gainin' on us!”

Another affirmative nod.  “I know!”

Curry crouched down lower as a bullet whizzed over his shoulder.  “Too close!”

Heyes nodded in agreement and, as the two men rounded a curve in the road, he spied an old dirt path, almost hidden from view, to their left.  Pointing to it, the duo veered off the main road, their mounts' hooves pounding into the dirt. After ducking low-hanging tree branches and navigating several twists and turns, salvation appeared in the form of an old building. Reining in their horses at the edge of the stream, the two men looked at each other.

“It's not much,” Heyes shrugged.  “We can cut across this stream, hole up inside for a while and hope the posse didn't see where we cut off the main road.”

Curry turned to eye the shack.  “Think it's empty?”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 2_old_10

“It looks deserted – and right now we don't have much of a choice!” Heyes answered tersely.  “Let's get across this stream and take a closer look.”

The horses splashed through the shallow water, taking their riders to the front of the old building.

“It's not the Silver Palace, but it'll do,” Heyes stated, then dismounted and threw the reins in his partner's direction. “I'll meet you inside!”

Curry nodded and took the animals around to the back of the building and hid them behind some trees.  After he had secured the horses' reins to the nearest tree branch, he turned around and took a few running steps, then stopped dead in his tracks.  His mouth dropped open as he stared at the building; his shoulders drooped in despair. “Why can't we ever get a break?!” he groaned.  That statement was quickly followed by, “Sure hope Heyes has a plan B!” as he raced towards the front of the cabin.

In the meantime, Heyes had sprinted up the two stairs that led to the porch, shoved the door open and stepped inside.  He looked towards the back of the room for the Kid but, to his surprise, the cabin was empty.  His eyes scanned the back wall and his head dropped to his chest.

The sound of thudding boots and the shadow that fell over Heyes as he stood in the open doorway with the doorknob still gripped tight in his hand, announced his partner's arrival.  He turned to face Curry.

“Kid -”

“Heyes -”

“... we've got a problem!” they finished together.

“Yeah, a big one!” Heyes continued.  “But we don't have time to worry about that right now, let's get that door secured first.” While the Kid lowered the board in place across the door, Heyes turned to do a more detailed survey of the rest of the cabin.  “Not much,” he announced, his tone resigned, “but it'll have to do.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 3_kid_11

Before Curry could comment, the sound of thundering hooves interrupted him, signaling the arrival of the posse.

“Sure didn't take 'em long to find us,” the Kid muttered as he drew his gun.  “I was hopin' we'd lost 'em!” he added as he checked the chambers and took a stance by the nearest of the two windows.

“I was hoping we'd be able to escape out the back door!” Heyes countered and positioned himself by the other window.  “At least that would've split the posse up some!”  A bullet broke through the window pane to whiz past him and Heyes took a hasty step backward.  He glanced in Curry's direction.  When his partner looked up, Heyes shrugged.  “We've been in worse scrapes than this before, you know.”

“I'm only worried 'bout the scrape we're in right here 'n now!” the Kid retorted and turned back to scan the outside again. “How many'd you count?”

“Pretty sure there were only five, but I might've missed one.”

Curry dared another look out his window and counted in silence.  “I only see three.”

“The other two are probably scouting out the back.  Won't take 'em long; they'll see the same thing you did and join the others out front pronto.”

Interrupted by another barrage of bullets, the two ex-outlaws were kept busy exchanging gunfire with the posse.

*~*~*~*~*~*

A FEW MINUTES EARLIER, OUTSIDE WITH THE POSSE

“We've got 'em now, boys; right where we want 'em!” Sheriff Maynard Griffin chortled and turned in the direction of his deputy.  “Charlie, why dontcha take Joe and the two of you go 'round to the rear.  Cover that in case they try to sneak out the back way.”

The deputy nodded and the two men began to edge away, taking care to stay low and behind cover.

The lawman turned back to the two remaining posse members.  “I want the two of you to find a good place to hunker down – and stay there!  You best keep in mind that's Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry inside that cabin and they mean business! They're feeling pretty desperate right about now, so you just stay behind your cover and keep drawing their fire.  We'll wait until they're outta ammunition and then we'll all rush in and nab 'em.”  He eyed each man sternly in turn before he spoke again.  “Bart, Micah – you get my drift?  I don't want anyone getting themselves killed trying to be some kinda hero.”

“Yes,” the men chorused and nodded.

The deputy and Joe returned almost immediately.

“You're not gonna believe our luck, Sheriff!  Heyes 'n Curry sure won't be escaping out the back way!” Charlie chortled. “Nosiree, not 'less'n they can break it down from the inside.  There's no door, not even a window back there; just another wall and it's made of solid rock.”

“Good,” the lawman gave a nod of satisfaction.  “That makes our job even easier.  It's five to two; I think those are pretty good odds, dontcha agree fellas? Let's get this over and done with so we can get back home to Little Bend, our families and a nice warm supper.” He took his place and raised his weapon. “Those two have no idea just who they're tangling with, but they're sure enough about to find out!”

*~*~*~*~*~*

BACK INSIDE THE CABIN

“I need to reload!” Heyes called out tersely.  “Cover me.”

Curry nodded and fired a shot.  Craning his neck forward, he chanced another look outside and counted the men he could see in silence.  “I think you're right; I only count five.  You know what they're gonna do, dontcha?” Not waiting for an answer, he continued.  “They're gonna wait until we're all outta bullets or when it gets dark – whichever comes first – an' then they're gonna rush us.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 4_kid_10

“You're right on all counts,” Heyes agreed grimly.  He snapped the gun chamber shut and looked up.  “Okay,” he announced and took his place again.

“My turn.”  Curry took even less time than Heyes had and was back to his spot and ready to shoot within moments and peered out the edge of his window.  “All five of 'em are out front now.  You know what that means? It means that they know that we know that they know that this is the only way outta here.”

Heyes favored his partner with an eyeroll.

“You come up with that plan yet?”

“I'm working on one.”

“Work harder!” “'Cos we won't be able to hold 'em off for too much longer – we'll be outta ammunition soon!”

“It works both ways,” Heyes shrugged.  “So will they.”

“Well, I'm hopin' they run out first!” Curry countered.  Just then, a bullet splintered through the wooden sill. He drew back sharply and flattened himself against the wall as another one whizzed past him. “Sheesh!” he muttered as it ricocheted off the cast iron stove in the corner. “That was way too close!”

“To save on ammo, we're gonna have to keep taking turns.  If one of us is firing at all times they won't try to storm the cabin; might buy us a bit more time, if we're lucky.”

“Wouldn't say luck's been on our side lately,” the Kid groused.

Their attention focused on keeping the posse busy and at bay, reloading their weapons and avoiding bullets, conversation became sparse.

“I'm outta bullets,” Heyes announced a short time later.  “Think I'll head on back by that stove to reload; it's too dangerous up here.”

“Think on comin' up with a plan while you're back there, okay?”

His expression grim, Heyes crouched down low as he made his way to the stove. When the ex-outlaw neared the middle of the room, he came to a sudden stop and looked down. Backing up a couple steps, he cocked his head to listen and then stomped his foot a few times. Kneeling down, he brushed at the floor with his hands and uncovered a square of wood that was cut out from the rest of the floor. Quickly pushing away more dirt, Heyes' mouth turned up in a grin. “Someone sure did some pretty clever camouflaging work here,” he commented under his breath. “If I wasn't looking for it, I'd never know it was here.” Using his pocketknife, he lifted the wood plank and pushed it aside.

“Hey, Kid!” he called out.  “Our luck is changing – look what I found!”

Curry turned enough to look back over his shoulder and his eyes widened in surprise when he saw the hole.
“You're either a genius or a gopher, Heyes!  Does it go anywhere?  Or is it jus' a hidey hole?”

“Don't know – yet.”  Heyes dropped to his belly, stuck his head down further and peered into the hole. “Looks like there's a tunnel, alright.  It leads somewhere; might even be a way to lose that posse. You okay while I check it out?”

“If you take my spot long enough to let me reload again, I'll keep 'em real busy.”

“Give me a minute,” Heyes replied, his expression chagrined as he exited the hole. “I still need to load my gun.”

Curry rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“Hey!” Heyes protested.  “I found the tunnel, didn't I?”

Curry turned away without answering and fired his last shot.  “At least they're not comin' any closer or tryin' to storm the shack yet.”

“That's the spirit, Kid!” Heyes grinned and took up his position by the other window. “Okay, let's hope this is the last time we have to do this and that tunnel is our ticket outta here.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 6_heye10

“Think I'll do more'n hope, if you don't mind,” Curry muttered as he crouched down and backed into the corner to put bullets into the chambers. Spinning the chamber, he looked at his partner. “Done. Go ahead... an' good luck.”

“Luck's for people who don't have a plan,” Heyes quipped and dropped to a sitting position.

The Kid watched Heyes just long enough to see him disappear down into the hole before he turned back to fire a shot. It was answered with fire from all five posse members. When the glass of a lower window pane shattered, Curry jumped back and flattened himself against the wall. As the gunfire continued, he ducked down low to make his way over to Heyes' window. Putting his gun barrel through one of the holes, he fired a shot at one of the posse members who was in the process of changing position. Curry grinned when the man threw himself on the ground, swearing profusely.

“That'll teach you,” he chuckled as he crossed back over to the other window. “Should've stayed where you were.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Meanwhile, inside the narrow tunnel, Heyes had reached the end and encountered another board. Grunting with the effort, he pushed hard with both hands on the wooden panel, dislodging the mound of dirt that covered it and cautiously poked his head up high enough to look around. A look of satisfaction appeared on his face when no shots were fired at him. With no way to turn around in the confined space, Heyes was forced to crawl backwards on his belly until he was back inside the shack. Once there, he could stand up again.

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 6_heye11

“We're in luck, Kid,” he called out.  “The tunnel opens out by the back wall and there's not a sign of that posse anywhere.”

Curry glanced back at the wall, then shrugged.  “Guess they figured there's no point; no door or windows to worry 'bout.”

“Looks that way.”

“The horses still tied up back there?”

Heyes nodded.  “Ready and waiting; all we have to do is get to them before the posse figures out that we're gone.”

“How're we gonna do that?  Once we're both in that tunnel an' no one's firin' back, they'll think we're outta ammunition an' rush the cabin.”

Heyes gave the room a thorough perusal.  His eyes lit on the stove and he grinned. “They'll never know, Kid. Keep 'em busy for a bit longer,” he added and knelt down beside the stove. Picking up pieces of kindling, he began to stoke the inside of the cast iron's belly. Taking a match from the box on the shelf, he held it to the kindling until it caught and the flames began to lick at the small pieces of wood.

Curry fired a couple more shots before he turned around to stare at his partner.  “What're you doin'?” he snapped in consternation. “We don't have time to be playin' 'round with fires – I thought you were workin' on a way to get us outta here without the posse knowin'!”

“I am.  This here is a special stove; it shoots bullets.”

Curry frowned and arched his brow.  “You sure you didn't hit your head while you were crawlin' 'round down there in that tunnel?”

Heyes grinned.  “Trust me.”

“Hmph,” Curry snorted.  “I'll believe it when I see it!” His furrow deepened as he ducked down and crossed the room to the other window.

Heyes added a few thicker pieces of wood to the pile and blew hard, to help fan the flames.

“You 'bout done?” Curry asked without turning around. “After this one I'm outta bullets again.”

Heyes rose to his feet and switched places with his partner.  “Go ahead.”

As Curry edged his way backwards towards the stove, he eyed it in silence and loaded the chambers.  “Okay, ready when you are.”

“Two left; after that, we're gonna get outta here!” Heyes turned and gave the Kid a wink. After the second bullet was fired, he looked over his shoulder and gave his partner a nod.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Sheriff Griffin stopped firing and held a hand up to his eyes as he squinted at the roof of the shack in surprise. “Is that smoke I see coming outta that chimney?”

“Sure 'nough looks like it, don't it?” Charlie answered.  “For a couple of wanted men with bounties on their heads, they're sure makin' themselves right comfortable!”

“Not for long, they're not!” Griffin snapped.

“Whaddya think they're building a fire for?” Micah pondered aloud.

Bart turned away from watching the smoke.  “Yeah, whatcha think they're up to, Sheriff?”

Griffin frowned and fingered his chin.  “I'm not sure, but whatever it is, we'd better be prepared for anything, boys; stay sharp!”

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Okay, Kid, I'm ready, let's switch.”

The two men traded places.

After firing a shot, Curry looked over his shoulder.  “Now would be a good time to let me in on that plan of yours!”

“It's really very simple.  Once I go down into the tunnel, you give me a few minutes to get to the end and then it's your turn.”

When the next bullet from the posse shattered another pane of glass closest to the place where he stood, Curry flattened himself and turned sideways to look at his partner.  “So jus' when is that stove s'posed to start shootin' bullets?” he asked before he turned back to fire a shot.

“Listen up,” Heyes began.  “Just before you drop down...”  As he continued to walk towards the hole, he outlined the final details to his partner.

“That oughta keep 'em busy long enough for us to make our escape for sure,” Curry grinned. He crossed to the other window and stuck his gun through the broken pane and fired again.

Heyes nodded and lowered himself down into the hole.  “See you in a few minutes, Kid. Don't wait around too long,” he cautioned before he disappeared from sight.

The ex-outlaw checked his gun and muttered aloud, “There's not enough time to reload again; I've only got two more bullets left, an' I've gotta give Heyes time enough to reach the end of the tunnel before I follow him. Here's one...” he said as he fired and then dashed back across the room to his window. He counted out six bullets and palmed them before he aimed and fired the last shot.  “An' that's two!”

Curry bent down low and crossed back to the table.  Next, he dragged it across the room and then pushed it over the hole, positioning it directly over the entrance to the tunnel. He took a deep breath and lowered himself down into the hole. Just before he ducked down, he followed Heyes' instructions and then quickly grabbed the wooden board to cover the hole. “Hopefully this is good-bye, fellas!”

As the Kid hunched down, he let the board fall into place, dropped down to his knees and began to make his way down the dark, damp and narrow tunnel, crawling along the moist earth on his belly. He could see a faint light up ahead and a short time later, he poked his head out. The first thing he saw was his partner sitting astride his horse, frowning and holding the reins to Curry's mount.  “Heyes, you are a genius!”

“What took you so long?”  Heyes' frown quickly transformed into a grin.

“I had a hungry mouth to feed!” the Kid quipped.  He grabbed the reins and climbed up and into the saddle.

“How many bullets did you use?”

“Six,” Curry answered.  “Let's get outta here before the fireworks begin!”

The pair took off, heading towards a large rock formation that would provide much-needed cover when the posse finally discovered their duplicity.

*~*~*~*~*~*

The men continued to fire at the shack for several minutes before Sheriff Griffin held up a hand to signal for silence. He fired a shot and waited, but when nothing happened, he turned to address the group.

“Looks like maybe they could be outta ammunition, men, but jus' to be sure, let's play it safe and spread out. Keep on your toes; they're a wily pair.”

Keeping low to the ground and using whatever shelter they found along the way, the men began to advance their way slowly towards the cabin.

The lawman's voice rang out again, issuing orders.  “Okay men, when we're all in position –” A single gunshot cut the sheriff off in midstream.

All the posse members dove for cover.  Two more shots were fired, spaced about a minute apart, followed by a third and a fourth in quick succession.

Griffin cautiously raised his head from his position on the ground and glanced around.  “Everybody okay?” he called out.

Four voices answered, assuring him that they had not suffered any casualties.

As the sheriff got to his knees, another shot was fired.  The lawman flattened himself, sucking in dust. After waiting a few minutes, Griffin dared to lift his head.  When silence still prevailed, he got to his knees, then rocked back on his heels. All was quiet. The lawman got to his feet and raised his voice to be heard.  “You there, in the cabin – Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry – we've got you surrounded and there's no other way out, so you might as well surrender! You're outnumbered two to one and we've got three times more ammunition than you do! We can outlast you and we've got no problem waiting to prove it!

“You're wanted dead or alive,” Griffin continued, “so we can do this the easy way, with you sitting upright on your horses, or you can force us to do it the hard way and you'll be riding into town stretched out across your horse's back. If you choose the hard way, we'll be delivering your bodies to the undertaker. It's your choice, so what's it gonna be?”

Silence followed his ultimatum.

“Alright, don't say I didn't warn you or give you a fair chance...”  The sheriff shrugged and motioned for the men to start moving forward again. “Fan out, fellas, and stay close to whatever cover you can find, just in case they try something stupid.”

Following his orders, the men took turns edging their way slowly towards the shack, guns drawn and their expressions unrelenting. As the first two men reached the porch, they flattened themselves against the wall, one on each side of the door. The deputy looked at the sheriff, waiting for the signal to break down the door.

Griffin nodded.  He and the two remaining posse members rushed forward to follow the deputy and the other man as they burst into the cabin, splintering the wood and knocking the door off its hinges.

After only a few steps inside, everyone came to a sudden halt. The whole posse stood stock-still at the sight that met their eyes: a completely empty room with a nice, cheery fire burning in the pot-bellied stove.

Four heads swiveled in the lawman's direction for answers.

Griffin looked around, his eyes scanning the shack.  “There's no place to hide in here; no cubbyholes, no closets, not even a box or crate to duck behind.”  He traversed the room to stand by the stove.  Picking up a stick, he poked around inside and discovered the bullet casings.

“Well, at least that explains the last round of shots we heard, but...”  He took another look around and scratched his head.  “I don't know how they did it, but they're sure as the dickens not here!” the lawman snapped.  He pivoted about, kicked at an overturned chair and strode away, his anger evidenced in every step.

Behind him, the other posse members looked at one another and shrugged.

“Guess we ain't gonna get none of that amnesty money now,” Bart grumbled.

“Yeah, an' the bad thing is we can't even explain to folks how we lost it,” Micah added morosely. “Least not if we don't wanna get laughed right outta town.”

They slowly turned towards the door to trail behind in the wake of the sheriff and joined him outside.

The lawman shaded his eyes and looked around.  “No use trying to catch up to 'em now, it'll be dark soon and they've got too much of a head start on us. Sorry, men; we might as well mount up and get on outta here.”

As the posse turned their horses towards home, Charlie took one last look at the shack, shook his head, then muttered under his breath, “If that don't beat all...”

*~*~*~*~*~*

A DAY'S RIDE LATER...

Saddle sore and road-weary, the exhausted pair stumbled upon a place that looked like it might offer shelter.

“Whaddya think, Heyes?  I say it's time for some rest and relaxation; we've earned it.”

“I say it looks perfect.  I'm tired of sitting in this saddle and our animals are stove-in. We haven't seen one sign of any lawmen, a bounty hunter or a posse, not even a dust cloud.” Heyes dismounted slowly, arching his back to get the kinks out.

“Sure feels good not to havta worry 'bout anyone chasin' us down for that bounty.”

Heyes looked around.  “This place is so far off the beaten track we don't have to worry about any of those things. Let's get these horses unsaddled and watered so we can stake them and they can have a well-deserved rest, too.”

Once the horses were tended to, Heyes and the Kid emptied their saddlebags and set up camp.

In the process of getting the fire started, Heyes turned to watch his partner gather firewood.  “You know what, Kid? This is the first time in months that we've set up a camp that we have no intentions of taking down right away.  It's a real nice feeling for a change.”

Curry stopped for a moment to ponder Heyes' words.  “It'll feel even better when I can get down to that river an' scrub off a few inches of this trail dust that's stuck to my skin.”

“You've got the right idea, Kid.  Once this fire gets going, we'll get washed up and then fix a nice hot supper to fill up our bellies.”

“I like the way you think, Heyes,” Curry grinned.  “After eatin' jerky an' canteen water on the run these last few days, I'm ready for some real food. Think I'll see if I can catch us a sage hen or two for supper.”

“Sounds fine to me.  C'mon, let's head on down to that river.  The sooner we get washed up, the sooner you can get started hunting down those hens.  I don't know 'bout you, but I'm all for an early night.  We haven't had a decent night's rest for so long, I'm not sure I remember what real sleep is anymore.” Heyes picked up his saddle blanket, a bar of soap and his razor.

“I'll be lucky if I stay awake through dinner,” Curry's response ended in a yawn.  He grabbed his saddle blanket and lead the way down to the river.  Halfway down the trail he stopped suddenly.

Heyes skidded to a halt behind the Kid, just short of slamming into Curry's back.  “What'd you that for?” he grumbled, backing up a step.

Curry turned and held a finger up to his lips.  “Shh...”

Heyes bit back any further questions and looked around warily.  A full minute lapsed before he whispered, “What're we listening for?”

“I dunno,” the Kid shrugged.  “I'm not sure; maybe nothin'.  I jus' got the feelin' that we were bein' watched.”

“And do you still have that feeling?”

Blue eyes met brown as Curry rubbed the back of his neck.  “No, guess maybe I'm jus' plumb wore out an' imaginin' things.”

“Well, you pay attention to that feeling if it happens again,” Heyes cautioned.  “You be sure and let me know; it won't be the first time that feeling's saved our hides.”

“I'll let you know,” the Kid promised.

The men washed up and, true to his word, Kid Curry's skillful hunting provided two plump sage hens to roast on a spit over the fire.  Their bellies full, the two weary men bedded down and were fast asleep within minutes.

*~*~*~*~*~*

MID-MORNING, TWO DAYS LATER...

The pair were stretched out on their blankets, relaxed and dozing in the shade of the trees.

Heyes stirred, then yawned, opened his eyes and glanced over at his partner.  “Well Kid, we've played cards, fished to our heart's content and hunted enough food to last us for the next few days.  You've not only cleaned your gun, but mine as well.  I don't think our weapons have ever been in such prime condition.  I don't know about you, but I'm about as relaxed as a man can get.”

“I know what you mean,” Curry murmured.  He opened his eyes and sat up.  Although nice, the peace and quiet was beginning to wear a tad thin for him.  He decided to broach the subject of moving on to his partner and see what happened.

Heyes' eyes followed the Kid as he stood up and crossed over to a mirror propped up in the crook of the tree trunk. Satisfied that his friend would be occupied with shaving for a while, he picked up the book that had fallen on the blanket next to him and began to read.

Razor in hand, Curry tilted his head to the side and examined it with a critical expression.  “Next time we're in town, I think I'd better pay a visit to the barber.  My hair's beginnin' to look a bit long, don't you think?”

A noncommittal grunt from Heyes was the Kid's only answer.

Curry sighed with resignation and returned to shaving.  “I might as well be alone...”

No comment from Heyes.

Curry angled the mirror so he could see Heyes' recumbent figure behind him.  “The least you could do is say a word once in a while,” he grumbled.  “That way I'd know you still knew how to speak.”

Silence.

“You know,” Curry persisted, “I've heard tell of people losin' their voice for good if they don't use it every now an' then.”

A derisive huff from the ex-leader of The Devil's Hole Gang ended the Kid's attempts at generating conversation and he finished shaving in frustrated silence.  Putting his belongings away, he stared around at the campsite for a few moments before he took a seat on his blanket and laid back to rest his head on his saddle.  Closing his eyes, he tried to think of another way to get answers out of his cousin.  “For two cents I'd walk over to Heyes and take that book right outta his hands!” he mumbled under his breath and grinned.  A smile still on his face, the Kid dozed off.

*~*~*~*~*~*

A SHORT TIME LATER...

Curry opened one eye, his nostrils having alerted him to the tantalizing smell of meat roasting over the fire.

“I thought that might convince you to wake up,” Heyes teased.

“Sure did.”  Curry stretched lazily as he sat up.  “Definitely one of your better plans.  How long before it's ready?”

“About thirty minutes; why?”

“I thought I'd go down to the creek and wash up a bit.”

“You've got plenty of time.  Why don't you take the canteens and the coffee pot and fill 'em up while your down there?”  Heyes picked up the pot and dumped the old grounds into the fire.

The Kid crossed the distance that separated them and took the pot from Heyes.  He glanced around for the canteens and spied them hanging on a nearby branch.  After gathering them up, he headed down towards the water.  Once there, he rinsed out the coffee pot and filled it with clean water, then did the same with the two canteens.

Pulling his bandana free from his neck, he dipped it into the water, squeezed out the excess and wiped his face and neck.  “Brr,” he shuddered. “Nothin' like cold creek water to wake a fella up.”  Just then, a twig snapped behind him, followed by the sound of footsteps.  The Kid glanced back over his shoulder.  “Hey –” he began, but never finished because something hit him hard on the back of his head and the world abruptly faded to black.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Heyes glanced up at the sun's position again.  “Wonder what's keeping him?  Guess I'd better go find out; maybe he's fallen asleep again?” he grinned.  His smile disappeared abruptly when he reached the river.  Sitting next to the water's edge were both canteens and the filled coffee pot, but there was no sign of the Kid.  Heyes scanned the surrounding area, but didn't see any clues that might help figure out where his partner was.  He squatted down by the water's edge.  There were the impressions in the dirt where Curry had knelt to fill the canteens and coffee pot. As his eyes scanned further to the left, he saw something that caused a lump of fear to rise in his chest.  He leaned closer and touched a finger to a leaf dotted with red.

“That's fresh blood!” Heyes gulped, staring at his finger.  He inched his hand back and loosened the hammer thong from his gun and pulled it from his holster.  He jumped to his feet, his eyes darting in every direction as he searched for his missing partner.  “What happened here - where are you, Kid!?”  He glanced down again and this time he saw drag marks on the ground, as well as boot prints near them.  “Whatever happened, you weren't alone!” he muttered, his tone grim.  “Guess you really did hear someone.”  Heyes followed the tracks for about a hundred yards before he came to a place where the drag marks stopped and the prints of a horse appeared. “Whoever you are, you're sure making this easy,” the ex-outlaw smirked.  

A moment later he came to a standstill, his brow furrowed.  “Okay, so I didn't give you enough credit.”  Arms akimbo on his hips, Heyes stared off into the distance in the direction where the tracks had taken him before they disappeared.  “Don't worry, Kid; hang in there, I am going to find you!” Heyes grabbed the canteens and coffee pot, returned to camp and started breaking their campsite down, thinking aloud as he did so.

“Now why would someone take you?  What could their motive be?  The reward?  If so, why didn't they take me too?”  Heyes sighed in exasperation.  “It just doesn't make any sense!”  When he got to Curry's bedroll, he groaned.  “Aw, Kid, you didn't stand a chance!  You couldn't even try to fight your way outta it without your gun, could you?”

Heyes picked up the gunbelt, saddled the two horses and, leading Curry's animal, rode to the spot where he lost the tracks.  “We'll start here and see if we can pick up the Kid's trail.”  He dismounted and patted the Kid's horse's neck.  “He's counting on us, boy; we can't let him down.”  Heyes started walking forward slowly, his eyes scanning the ground, searching for any sign that would point him in the right direction.

An hour later, having pretty much exhausted all possible routes the kidnapper might have taken, Heyes wiped the sweat from his brow and stopped for a drink.  After swallowing the tepid water, Heyes returned the canteen to his saddle horn.  “There have to be some tracks somewhere!” he snapped.  “They certainly didn't fly away and they couldn't have just disappeared into thin air!”  He closed his eyes and leaned against his horse.  “I'm not gonna give up, Kid!” Heyes whispered.  A moment later he opened his eyes and glanced downward.  That's when he saw the hoof prints.

“Bet you didn't think I'd be able to track you, did you mister, whoever you are?”  A look of grim determination on his face, Heyes mounted his horse and turned him in the direction of the tracks, Curry's horse following close behind.  “I'm coming, Kid; don't give up on me!”  Hearing the deep, rumbling sound of thunder, he glanced up at the sky and scowled.  Off in the distance, in the direction he was heading, he could see lightning and black storm clouds.  “Great!” he snapped.  “Just what I need – a rainstorm!”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Curry's eyes fluttered open.  “I can't see – why's it so dark?” he mumbled, then tentatively called out, “Heyes?” but received no answer.  Although he looked all around, there was only darkness.  He tried to sit up.  “Ow!” he cried and winced in pain.  He squeezed his eyes shut when his head throbbed in protest and shot waves of liquid fire throughout his body.  As he became more fully awake, he opened his eyes again.  Slowly they began to adjust to the darkness that surrounded him.  “I think there's somethin' way down there,” he mumbled.

“At least I think maybe I see somethin'...”  He strained his ears to listen.  “Voices?” he ventured doubtfully and tried to move his hands and arms, but to no avail.  He had no better luck with his legs.  “Why am I all trussed up like a daggone Thanksgiving turkey?”  His hands were tied behind his back with ropes that bit into his skin and his feet were bound together with bonds just as tight.

“Wherever I am, it sure is cold!”  He shivered violently.  “Why am I all soakin' wet?” he pondered aloud.  “Now how in the heck did that happen?  Last thing I remember, I was fillin' up the canteens an' the coffee pot down by the river... The river!”  He frowned in concentration as he tried to recall what happened after that.  “Maybe I fell in?” he mused.  “Lost my footin' an' fell in?”  Curry's brow furrowed in thought.  “No...  I remember hearin' Heyes behind me...an' then...”  His head throbbed even harder with the effort.  “Then... somethin' hit my head hard.”  He paused. “That's all I remember.”

He tried to force his eyes to focus on his surroundings, but it didn't help; the darkness could not be penetrated.  He cocked his head to listen again.  “I can hear the sound of water nearby.”  He took a deep breath and wrinkled his nose in distaste.  “It smells damp and musty in here... kinda like a cave.  What am I doin' in a cave?  How'd I get here?”  As a wave of nausea and fatigue washed over him, Curry's eyelids drooped to shutter his eyes.  Before he succumbed, he whispered his last lucid inquiry, “An' where's Heyes?”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Heyes was busy tracking his partner, although his quarry was making it extremely difficult to accomplish his task. Chagrined, he voiced his frustrations aloud.  “Whoever the kidnapper is, he's skilled enough to use evasive tactics. He's even managed to trick me into pursuing a false trail a few times, but not this time, you don't!” he growled as he quickly discovered his error and righted the matter.  Heyes glanced up at the sky again.  “At least there's one thing in my favor: that thunderstorm veered off in the other direction just enough to let me keep dry.  It's a good thing it did too, since it would've wiped out all the tracks.”  After several more miles of following the trail, Heyes found himself standing at the edge of a lake, staring at the water.  

“There's no way I made a mistake – not this time – I'm positive I followed the trail right, but there's no possible way they could've just walked into the lake!” he snapped in vexation.  He got off his horse to squat down and examine the tracks more closely.  “It can't be – but it is!” he muttered as he eyed the tracks.  “They do come straight here!”  Heyes rose to his feet, his eyes widening in disbelief as they made out footprints that were underwater on the muddy river bank.  “It just can't be!” he repeated, hands on hips.

“Sure it can,” a voice behind him answered.

Heyes whipped around to find himself facing a stranger with a gun pointed at him.  Curiosity won out over alarm. “How?”

“I'll be happy to show you, Mr. Heyes.  Raise those hands nice and high.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 16_hey10

Heyes swallowed, his poker face firmly in place as he followed the stranger's order.  “I think you've made a mistake, mister –?”

“You can call me John... John Smith.”

“Smith?” Heyes repeated.  “Huh, what a coincidence; my name happens to be Smith, too.  Joshua Smith.”

“Nope,” John gave a decisive shake of his head.  “You're Hannibal Heyes.”

“I'll admit I've been mistaken in the past for that safe-cracking outlaw, but –”

“No buts about it, Heyes; I know who you are and you know who you are.  Now, we can either stand around all day wasting time jawin' about who you are or I can show you how and why those footprints make sense; it's your choice.”

Heyes eyed the stranger in silence a moment before he answered.  “Will my friend, Thaddeus, be wherever you're taking me?”

“Thaddeus, eh?”  John chuckled and shook his head.  “Don't know anyone by that name, but there's a fella that answers to the name of Kid Curry who's waiting on you to join him.  However, if you want to keep on insisting you're not Hannibal Heyes,” he shrugged, “then there's no reason for me to take you anywhere.  It's your call.”

Knowing when he was beat, Heyes folded with a resigned sigh.  “Okay, you win.  Take me to my partner.”

“First things first; take off your gunbelt and toss it over there.”  John pointed to the left.  “And if you're of a mind to try anything stupid, it might interest you to know that we're not alone out here.  There's a man standing guard, hidden over yonder in those trees.”  He gestured with his head to show which direction.

Heyes glanced over his shoulder to where John had indicated, but couldn't see anyone.  “Before I do as you say, do you mind if I ask you a question?”

John cocked his head to study Heyes, then nodded.  “Go ahead.”

“You're not from around here, are you?”

A slight grin on his face, John asked a question of his own.  “What makes you say that?”

“Your accent.  I'm guessing Scotland?”

“You'd be guessing right.  If you're all done asking questions, we're burning daylight.  Now, this next part might seem a bit strange, Heyes, but just do as I tell you to and you'll be reunited with Curry quicker'n you can say Mississippi.”

“I doubt that,” Heyes retorted sarcastically, “but I'll do what you say.”

“You're gonna strip down to your drawers – ”

“I'm gonna what?!”  Heyes' brow shot up into his hairline.  “Are you loco?”

“Told you it'd sound strange,” John shrugged.  “Sooner you do it, the sooner you'll see Curry.”

His expression skeptical, nevertheless Heyes began to peel off his clothing until he was standing in his long underwear.  His discarded clothing lay in a pile on the ground.

“Your boots and socks, too.” John gestured with his gun.

First the left boot hit the ground, followed by the right one.  Next, Heyes pulled off his socks and tucked them inside the boots.  “There,” he snapped and crossed his arms across his chest.

“Just relax.  I'm going to tie up your hands, and then we'll go see your partner.  Hold your arms out straight in front of you and, remember, don't try anything stupid.”

Heyes thrust his arms forward and suffered them being tied tight with only a wince.

Once John had accomplished that task, he gave one more order.  “Sit over there on the ground.”  He motioned to a spot in the grass a few yards away.

Throwing his captor a look of contempt, Heyes stalked barefoot over to where the man had indicated, sat cross-legged on the ground and glared at him.  His eyes widened in surprise when John began to remove his clothing.  As he continued to watch the man with a shrewd expression, Heyes' mind was working feverishly to put the pieces together.  “Aren't you afraid somebody will steal our things?” he ventured at last.

“No; like I said, we've got a man who stands guard.  Nobody's ever bothered our belongings in all the time we've been here.  Just to make it a bit less awkward with you sitting there watching me undress, I'll ask you a question to kill a little time.  Do you have any idea what the name of this lake is?”

Heyes turned to stare at the lake, then shrugged.  “Nope, not a clue.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 17_han10

“Folks around here call it “Hanging Lake.” Nice cheerful name, eh?  Works out pretty good for us, though.  With a name like that, we don't get many visitors poking their noses in our business out here.  It's nice and private.”  His clothing in a pile, John motioned for Heyes to stand up.  He approached the ex-outlaw with a grin on his face and looped a length of rope through the one that bound Heyes' hands together and tied it in a knot.  “Now comes the really strange part; hope you're a good swimmer, Heyes,” he added before he tossed his gun onto the pile of clothing.

Before he could analyze the cryptic words or reply, John had tugged him forward to the edge of the lake.  To Heyes' consternation, his captor didn't stop there, but kept going further and further, sinking down into the water, taking Heyes along with him.  With each step they took, the water rose higher and higher.  Pulling back against the rope, Heyes struggled in earnest to free himself.  “Are you trying to drown me?” he cried out when they were waist deep.

“Not yet,” John smirked.  “Better take a deep breath,” he warned.

“I –”

“That isn't a joke or a suggestion, Heyes.  Take a real deep breath and hold it, we're going under.”

Still resisting with all his might, the expression on the other man's face motivated Heyes to comply.

Once he was assured that his prisoner had done as requested, John also took a deep breath, then yanked on the rope so hard that Heyes lost his footing and fell face first into the water.

After that, it was all Heyes could do to hold his breath as they went deeper and deeper.  Just as he thought his lungs would burst, their direction changed to an upward one.  A moment later his head broke through to the surface and he gulped in precious breaths of oxygen.  Feeling the tug of the rope again, Heyes was forced to swim in the direction it dictated and he soon found himself in water shallow enough to stand up in.  Still gasping for breath, Heyes rose to his feet and looked around; he stood stock-still in awed wonder.

“Pretty impressive isn't it, Heyes?”

“And then some!” Heyes gasped between gulps of air.  “It's some kinda cave, isn't it?”

“You are correct.”

Heyes cocked his head to the side.  “But we swam down to get here.”

“We did,” John agreed.  “It's what you call an underwater cave.  The only way to get to where we are right now is to swim downward far enough to go up, then swim upward till you get here.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 18_und10

“How'd you ever find this place?”

John gave him a speculative look, then shrugged.  “How doesn't matter.  What does matter is that you're here.”

“You said you'd take me to my partner!”

“I did, and I will; all in good time.”  John stepped up and out of the water.

Heyes followed suit and stood dripping wet on the shore as water lapped at the nearby rocks.  Despite the circumstances, he looked around with interest.  Not too far off in the distance he could make out what appeared to be lanterns, providing some relief from the total darkness.  He cocked his head to listen and was rewarded by the faint sound of voices.  He glanced back at the water.

“Don't even think about it, Heyes.  You'd never make it alive.  There was a brief pause before he added, “And neither would your partner; give that some thought.”  John pulled a knife out of a pocket and stepped towards his prisoner.  Seeing Heyes' expression, John stopped.  “Why would I bring you all the way here just to kill you?” he chided.  “All I'm going to do is cut you loose.”  He closed the distance between them, then cut through the ropes that bound Heyes' hands and turned to walk away.  “Follow me.”

Heyes didn't move.

John kept walking, but called back over his shoulder, “If you want to see your partner, you'd best follow me.”

With a sigh of resignation, Heyes trailed reluctantly behind, his vigilant eyes taking in every detail as he searched for any sign of Kid Curry.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Awake once more, his eyes having adjusted to the dimness of his surroundings, Curry wasn't any more closer to discerning how, why or where he was.  Rolling to his side, he struggled to sit up.  After several failed attempts he finally achieved his goal.  Breathing hard from his exertions, he glanced around hoping to find clues to answer his many questions.

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 19_kid10

“It must be some kinda cave.  I can hear water close by, but that sure don't explain why I'm soaked to the skin.  Or why I'm in my longjohns an' barefoot.”  Using his legs to propel him, he twisted his body around so he could check out his surroundings from another angle.

“And that looks like it could be some kinda openin' over there...” he murmured.  Lying back down, he rolled over and over several times until he reached his goal.  Wriggling back into a sitting position, he squinted into the darkness.  “Looks like maybe there's some kinda light down that tunnel,” Curry added.  He cocked his head to listen.  “Sounds like there might be some voices, too.”  Although his wrists were already rubbed raw and bleeding, he worked harder at loosening his bonds.  “Hope it'll be worth it,” he grimaced.  “Maybe the blood'll help in slidin' the ropes off my hands.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Heyes followed John into a cavern and saw three men seated at a table playing poker while a fourth younger one stood before a fire stirring something in a pot.

“Is that him?” a man with a black mustache queried, giving Heyes a hard stare.

“Sure is, Jack.  Told you I'd bring him in, didn't I?”

“He sure don't look like much,” a bearded man smirked.

“Well, that isn't his fault, Earl; we all look kinda funny in our long underwear,” John retorted.  “Which reminds me... Sam,” he singled out a man in a blue shirt, “would you go grab him some dry clothes to put on while he's our guest?”

“Guest?” Heyes huffed under his breath.

“Sure thing, Boss; I'll be back in a flash.”  Sam got up from the table and went to do the leader's bidding.

John turned to Heyes.  “Bet you're trying to figure out what's going on, aren't you?”

“That's one of the things I'm working on,” Heyes replied, his expression enigmatic as he looked the man straight in the eyes.  When John broke contact and stepped towards the fire, Heyes looked around the room searching for a clue to the whereabouts of his missing partner, but again he came up empty.

“Something sure smells good; what have you got going, Riley?” John asked the young man standing by the fire as he gave an appreciative sniff.

“Venison stew, Boss.  It'll be ready in 'bout an hour.”

“Perfect.  That'll give us time to explain things to our newest gang member.”  He turned to see Heyes fastening the last button on a shirt before tucking it into his borrowed pants.  “C'mon over here and sit down,” he motioned to an empty crate next to Jack.

"I wish you'd quit calling me that - the name's Joshua!" the ex-outlaw snapped.  He stalked over to the crate and dropped down onto it, his arms folded across his chest.

John huffed, then continued as if the other man hadn't spoken.  “I know you're anxious to see Curry, and if things work out here, after I'm done explaining them to you, then the two of you will be reunited in a short time. However, if things don't work out...” he left the threat hanging.  “I brought you here because we need your help.”

Heyes quirked a brow as he answered wryly, “Wouldn't it have been simpler to just ask, instead of kidnapping my partner and nearly drowning me?”

“No,” John shook his head.  “This way we're assured that you'll agree to lend your expertise to our little job.”

“And just what is this little job?”

“This hideout sits smack dab in the middle of three very large productive mines.  Every month like clockwork, those same three mines have their payrolls delivered to them so they can pay the workers.  Combined, the size of these payrolls total nearly $75,000.”

“And you and your men wanna get your hands on that payroll, right?”

John looked around at his men.  “See, I told you he was smart.”  He turned back to Heyes. “Yes, that's exactly what we're going to do.  And that's where your skills will come in handy.”

“Let me guess; you want me to open the safe?”

“Not quite; you see, there are a couple of... complications.”

“What kind of complications?” Heyes' eyes narrowed.

“Well, to keep from being robbed, the mines have gotten a bit, shall we say creative, in the ways they receive their payrolls.  They switch things up a bit.  One time it might be by train, the next by stagecoach or another by pack mule.  Why, once they even sent it with some men disguised as little old ladies in wagons – it was hidden in their valises and trunks.

“You're right, it does sound complicated,” Heyes nodded.  “What makes you think I can do it if you don't even know how the money's being transported?”

“Because now we have someone working on the inside at the bank.  They've been there for the past two months and have access to the methods the mines use.  Once they know what it is, they pass that info on to me.  We've been testing that info and so far they've been right each time.  The way we figure it is this: once we know how the money's being sent, then we can plan on the best way to relieve them of their funds.  And that's where you come in.”

“You want me to plan the robbery,” Heyes stated dryly.

“Oh no, you're not only going to plan the robbery, you're going to lead the gang in committing it.”

“But why me?  And why wait so long when you have all the info you need to do it yourselves?”

“Let's call it a lucky break, Heyes.  We were all resigned to the fact that we'd have to do it ourselves when Tucker saw you and Curry at your campsite.  Why, when he came galloping back here to tell me that he had seen you, I was almost giddy with happiness.  Yessiree, we're mighty lucky it was Tuck who was out scouting around that day. If it had been any of the others, the two of you would still be out there and we'd be trying to figure out how to pull off this robbery.  Now that we've got you, it's a sure thing that this job will be done right.”

“There's no such thing as a sure thing,” Heyes was quick to point out.

“Call it whatever you like, Heyes.  You're gonna plan it and it's gonna work.  I won't take no for an answer, but if you try any – ”

“If I try anything,” Heyes broke in, “you'll tell me that you'll use my partner as leverage, right?  Well, let me tell you something, Smith.  Taunting me with that fact will only get you so far.  If you want me to come up with a plan that'll work, then I want to see my friend right now!” Heyes demanded and slapped his palm on the table.

John held his hands up in mock surrender.  “Take it easy, Heyes.  I told you I'd take you to him as soon as things were explained.  Don't worry, Curry's fine.  He's cooling his heels while we get it all settled.  Before I take you to him, is it agreed that you'll help us?  I want your word that you'll come up with a workable plan guaranteed to get us that money.”

Heyes got to his feet and held out his hand to the other man.  “I give you my word that I'll figure out a way for both of us to get what we want; the money for you and my partner back for me.”

John took the outstretched hand and the two men shook on the agreement.

“Okay, Heyes.  Follow me and I'll take you to Curry.”  John picked up a torch and led the way.

Last edited by royannahuggins on Fri 13 Mar 2020, 8:02 am; edited 21 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow
Post Sun 08 Mar 2020, 1:04 am by royannahuggins

The Kid could hear footsteps echoing off the cavern walls as someone came down the corridor.  Instinct made him scoot back into the shadows and press himself as close to the wall as possible.  Shivering, hardly daring to breathe, he waited. The footsteps grew closer.  Soon there was a flickering light at the opening he had been sitting next to and two shadowy figures stepped into the room.  Curry squeezed his eyes shut at the brightness and turned his head away.

“Thaddeus?” Heyes called out, his eyes searching the inky darkness for his partner.

“Joshua?” Curry tentatively answered back.  “Is that you?”

“Here.”  John handed Heyes the torch.  “I'll wait outside while you and the Kid have your little reunion.”

Once the man had disappeared, Heyes stepped further into the room.  Immediately he saw his partner, his back pressed against the cave wall.  He hurried forward, found a place to prop up the torch and knelt down next to Curry.  “Hey there, buddy!”  He put his hands on the man's shoulders.  They came into contact with wet clothing and frowned.  “You're all wet!  You okay?”

The Kid searched his partner's face as his words tumbled out.  “I think so,” he nodded.  “I have a goose egg on the back of my head that hurts like the dickens, an' a headache the size of the Grand Canyon, but I don't know how or why I'm wet – do you?  Where are we?  An' how'd we get here?  An' why are we here?”  He paused a moment as he gave Heyes a once-over.  “An' what are you doin' in those clothes?”

Satisfied that Curry was indeed alright, Heyes sat down cross-legged beside his partner.  “It's a long story, Kid,” he began, keeping his voice low.  “But since I don't know how long we've got, I'll do my best to explain as much as I can.”  He hesitated, then continued.  “I know what I'm about to ask you won't sound normal, but things aren't normal here.  I need you to promise me that if you get loose you won't try to escape.”

Following suit, the Kid words were quiet, even as he hissed, “Whaddya mean you don't want me to escape?!  These men – whoever they are – mean business!  I don't –”

Heyes held up a hand, cutting Curry off.  “Listen to me, Kid, it's too risky – not to mention that it's far too dangerous – for you to go walking around out there!  We don't know our way around in this place.  You know what a cave's like.  There's sheer dropoffs that lead to bottomless pits.  You'll never see it until you're falling down into one.  The other thing you need to keep in mind is that you don't know how to swim outta here – heck, even I can't do that and I was awake when they brought me here!”  He looked Curry straight in the eyes.  “I'm dead serious about you not taking any chances, Kid.  I need to be able to concentrate on this job.  I have to give it my full attention, and I can't do that if I'm worrying about what's going on with you.  Promise me you'll stay put until I can get us outta this mess.”

Curry's expression was totally at war with his response.  “I promise – I don't like it one bit, but I won't go off by myself – if I should happen to get loose.”

An apologetic smile along with a quiet “Thanks, Kid,” were Curry's reward for his promise.  “Can you tell me anything about the day you were kidnapped?”

“The last thing I remember, I was down at the river, then I woke up in here – wherever here is.”

“We're in a cave, but not just any ordinary cave, Kid.  It's an underwater cave.”

“A what?” Curry echoed and looked around in surprise.  “You mean we're underwater?  Right now?”

“No, we're above water, but we had to swim underwater to get above the water.”

“Heyes, did you get hit on the head, too?” Curry asked, his confusion evident.  “You're not makin' much sense!”

“Just listen for a minute and I'll try to explain so it does.  To get here, you have to swim downward, under the water and keep going down until there's an opening that lets you swim up.  Then, you keep swimming up until you reach the surface.  Then you're inside the cave.  Does that make sense now?”

“If you say so,” Curry's teeth chattered as he suddenly shivered violently.

His expression grim, Heyes got to his feet.

“You're not leavin' already, are you!?” the Kid protested.  “You jus' got here!”

“No,” Heyes shook his head.  “I'm just going to see about getting you some dry clothes.  I'll be right back, I promise.”

“You think maybe I could get untied, too?”

“One thing at a time, okay?”  He sent the Kid a smile of encouragement.

His expression one that plainly said no, Curry didn't answer.

Heyes turned and headed for the opening.  As he reached it, John stepped up to meet him.

“He's soaking wet, he's cold – he needs dry clothes!” Heyes stated flatly.  “That is, unless that's part of your plan and you want him to catch pneumonia?”

“Guess he's in luck then, isn't he?  Your cooperation makes a whole lot of things possible.  Is that all?”

“He wants to know if he can be untied.”

“Not yet,” John shook his head.  “Tell him that once you're off to do the robbery we'll turn him loose.  That should give him something to look forward to.”

“I'm sure he'll be thrilled!” Heyes snapped and pivoted about to leave.

“I'll give you another five minutes, so say what you have to say, then tell him goodbye.  We've got plans to make and the sooner they get done, the sooner the two of you can get back together.  Oh, and there's one more thing: don't forget to bring the torch with you when you're done.  We'll need it to get back.”

“I don't like leaving him alone in the dark!” Heyes protested.

“It won't be long.  Explain to him that when someone brings the clothes, they'll bring another torch to leave with him.  Will that make you happy?”

“I wouldn't exactly call it happy,” Heyes muttered, “but I'll tell him.”  He returned to Curry, crouched down next to him and gave the Kid a half-smile.  “Good news; you'll have some dry clothes real soon.”

“What 'bout gettin' untied?” Curry asked, his expression hopeful.

“They said not yet,” Heyes replied quietly, unable to meet his partner's eyes.

“Why not?  An' who's 'they'?”

“'They' are the men who kidnapped you and are holding you as collateral so that I'll plan a robbery and get them the money they want,” Heyes explained.  He raised his eyes to look into his partner's.  “Yeah, the same old game.”

“Is it ever gonna end, Heyes?” Curry whispered, his words laced with bitterness.

“You'd think so, wouldn't you, Kid?” Heyes summoned up a smile for his partner's benefit.  “This time I do have to leave.”  He held up a hand as Curry would have spoken.  “They've promised that you'll be okay as long as I do what they want.  They've also said that as soon as I leave to do the job they'll turn you loose.”  Heyes looked deep into the Kid's eyes and lowered his voice even more.  “My promise to you is that I'll do everything in my power to come up with a plan that works for us, too, okay?”

Curry's shoulders sagged and his head dropped to his chest, but he managed a resigned, “Yeah.”

Heyes got to his feet and touched the Kid's shoulder.  “I'll tell them to bring you some food when they bring the dry clothes.”

“Thanks,” Curry mumbled, not looking up.  “Can't say as I've got much of an appetite though.”

“Eat what they bring you, Kid,” he said quietly.  “You need to keep up your strength.  I'm counting on you, you know.”

Curry finally raised his eyes to meet Heyes'.  “An' I'm countin' on you, too.”

“I'll be back as soon as I can, I promise.”  Heyes paused, then added, “I know I've said I promise a lot in these past few minutes, but I mean it.  I've got an ace in the hole, but I just don't know when I'm going to be able to use it.” Heyes retrieved the torch and sent his partner an apologetic look.  “Sorry, but I have to take this with me.  They said they'll bring you another one when they bring the dry clothes.  Hang in there, Kid, it won't be long.”  He took one last look at his friend before he walked away, leaving Curry alone once more in the darkness.

After Heyes had disappeared, the Kid tilted his head back to rest against the stone wall of the cave and released a deep sigh of resignation.  “Guess all I can do now is wait.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 25_kid10

*~*~*~*~*~*

Heyes and John walked in silence as they made their way back to the main room.

John stopped at the entrance and turned towards Heyes.  “Aw, cheer up, Heyes.  Curry'll be fine once he gets some dry clothes and food in his belly.”  He paused, his brow furrowed.  “Was there something else?  Oh, yes; and a torch to light things up down there.  You keep on cooperating and do your part for us and you won't have to worry about him much longer.”

“I'm not worried about him,” Heyes retorted.

“I've heard stories of your poker face, Heyes; Curry's your Achilles heel.  But that works out perfect for me.  It means you'll come up with a great plan to get that money, doesn't it?”

“You'll get your plan!” Heyes snapped.  “Using him as leverage isn't gaining you any favor in my books, though.”

“I'm not asking for any favors,” John shrugged and headed inside the cavern.  “I'll show you where you're sleeping tonight after you've had supper.”

Heyes turned to look back down the corridor to where Curry waited cold, hungry and alone in the darkness before he followed John to the table and sat down.  Riley plunked a bowl of hot stew in front of both men and pointed to the center of the table.  “There's fresh biscuits to go with it and a fresh pot of coffee on the fire; help yourselves.”

After supper was over, John showed Heyes where to bed down and tossed a blanket at him.  “If you need anything else just give me a shout out; I'm in the next room.”

Heyes caught the blanket deftly and voiced a question he couldn't put off any longer.  “You've left out telling me where a fella might go to relieve himself.”

“So I have.  You're right; I did forget to mention it.”  He pointed to a small alcove not far from the main room. “That's as private as it gets around here.  Just don't go wandering off by yourself,” he cautioned.  “Or you might find out the hard way about the drop-offs.  One minute you're walking along, the next one you're spiraling your way down – who knows if there's a bottom?”

Heyes digested that bit of information, nodded and headed for the alcove.  To his great surprise, as he entered the alcove there was a two-seat potty cart.  “Well, I'll be...” he muttered aloud as he stared at the contraption.  “Who'd have ever thought something like that would be in here?”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 26_2_s10

On the way back, Heyes took his time, checking out his surroundings as he walked.  Standing still, not too far from the main room, he jumped in spite of himself when a quiet voice hailed him from out of the darkness.

“I'd get some sleep if I were you, Heyes.  You're going to need to be at your best tomorrow.”

Heyes didn't acknowledge John's warning.  With a quiet sigh he turned and made his way to his makeshift bed. “Sleep's the furthest thing from my mind,” he muttered under his breath.  “Wonder how the Kid's doing?  Did they really take him all the things like they said they would?”  As he pulled the blanket over his body and rested his head on arms crossed under it, another thought suddenly struck him.  “How'd they manage to get all this stuff into the cave?” he whispered into the darkness.  His eyelids shuttered down over his eyes, but Heyes was too busy thinking to sleep.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Curry didn't fare much better as far as sleep was concerned.  He passed the night restless and on edge.  His captors had provided him with dry clothes, a blanket and some food, but that was all.  Not too long after Heyes had left, a young kid had shown up.

After he had untied Curry's bindings, he kept his weapon trained on the prisoner and pointed to a pile of clothing. “Put those on and when you're finished, there's some stew and biscuits sitting on that rock over there for you to eat.”

The Kid was quick to shed the damp clothing.  Once dressed, he was still shivering so he wrapped the blanket around his shoulders, then sat down on the ground next to the bowl of steaming stew.  Holding it between his cold hands he inhaled deeply.  “Smells like somebody's a good cook.”  He raised his eyes to look at the person who had brought it.

“That would be me,” the young man answered, relaxing his stance a fraction.

Curry took a spoonful and closed his eyes with a contented sigh as the warm stew heated his innards as it made its way down to his stomach.  “It's definitely good,” he grinned.  In an effort to prolong his freedom he ate slowly, chewing each bite thoroughly before he swallowed.  “I'm Thaddeus; what's your name?”

“Thaddeus?” the young man snickered and slapped his leg with his free hand.  “Boy howdy, that's a good one for sure!  It's no use pretendin' – we know who you really are.  You're Kid Curry, an' your friend's Hannibal Heyes.  My name's Riley; I'm the cook 'round here.”

“Sounds like you've already got your mind made up,” the Kid shrugged and took another bite.  Shoving the last of the biscuit into his mouth, he held out his empty bowl.

“Uh uh... jus' set it down on the ground an' put your hands behind your back,” Riley grinned.  “I ain't falling for that trick, Curry.  "I wasn't born yesterday, ya know."

The Kid's shoulders sagged in defeat.  “If what my friend tells me is true, there isn't much of a chance that I'd get outta here even if I did manage to escape.”

“That's more true'n you know, Curry.”  Riley went behind the Kid and tied his hands up tight.  “The tunnels in some of the caverns are filled with big, deep holes, an' if a fella don't know his way 'round, or he don't have a light to help him find his way... well let's jus' say that it'd be real easy for him to disappear an' nobody'd even know where to start lookin' for the body.  It's a long drop to nowhere.”

“Thanks for the warnin', Riley,” Curry nodded.  “I'll jus' sit here nice 'n quiet, like a church mouse, an' won't move a muscle.”

“It don't matter how quiet you are or how much noise you make,” Riley huffed.  The young man tossed the blanket across the Kid, then picked up the torch.  “I'm serious - don't try an' go wanderin' 'round by yourself.  I'd sure hate to havta tell Heyes that we lost Kid Curry.”  He turned away.

“Hey!” the Kid protested.  “Aren't you gonna leave me some kinda light?  It gets real dark in here!”

Riley turned back to face Curry.  “Sorry,” he gave the Kid a sympathetic look.  “Boss's orders.  Jus' remember, I warned you.”  With those final words he exited the cavern.

“Can't anybody tell me anything else besides not to go wanderin' around?”  Using his feet once more to propel himself, Curry scooted back against the wall.  His chest heaving from his exertions, he tried to make himself as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.  “I sure hope Heyes is havin' better luck than I am!”  He let his head fall backward and did his best to ignore the sounds that echoed against the cavern walls in the darkness.

*~*~*~*~*~*

THE NEXT MORNING...

“Time to rise and shine, Heyes,” John sang out as he stepped into the room.  He was brought up short when he saw the dark-haired man already sitting at the table, a cup of coffee in his hand.  “You're up nice and early.”

“Never went to sleep,” Heyes yawned.

“Will that be a problem?”  John queried sharply and directed a glare at the ex-outlaw.  “Like maybe interfere with your thinking or planning today?”

Heyes shook his head.  “I do my best planning at night.”

“Sure hope you saved some of that 'best planning' for today!” John snapped.  “We'll have that info from our inside man today.”

“Don't worry, I'll be ready.”  Heyes sipped at his coffee.  “As long as we're waiting around, I'd like to visit with my friend, if you don't mind?”

“As a matter of fact, I do mind.  You saw him last night and I told you then to say good-bye to him. That still stands.”

“But –”

“No buts about it.  Just relax until that messenger gets here.  In the meantime, Riley should have something for us to eat soon.”

“I think I just lost my appetite!” Heyes snapped.

“Aw, c'mon, Heyes,” John chided his prisoner.  “Surely you know that an army marches on its stomach?”

“Napoleon thought so,” Heyes answered dryly.

“Is he the guy who said that?”

Heyes looked at John over the rim of his coffee cup.  “He's one of the people.”

“I knew I heard it somewhere,” John grinned.

Heyes cast his eyes to the ceiling and shook his head.

Heavy footsteps heralded the arrival of Sam.  He strode into the cavern, went up to John and held out a folded piece of paper.  “Here ya go, Boss.”

John unfolded the paper and read it.  “Thanks, Sam.  Hey, did you see Riley on your way in?”

“Yep.  He's busy getting supplies to start breakfast.”

“Good.  Why don't you go see if you can hurry him along?  We've got our work cut out for us and we're burning daylight.”

“Sure thing, Boss,” Sam nodded and left the cavern.

John grinned at Heyes.  “This little piece of paper tells me how the payroll's going to be sent.  It can't get much easier for you, you lucky dog!”  He held the paper out.  “Look for yourself.”

“Funny, but I don't feel lucky,” Heyes muttered, his voice dripping with sarcasm.  He took the proffered paper and glanced down at it.  “The train part I get.  But Moo?  And an X?”  He transferred his gaze to his captor. “What's that supposed to mean?”

“You're correct, the shipment will be by train.  There'll be a safe in one of the cars.  Remember how I told you they like to be creative to keep robberies to a minimum?  The word 'moo' tells us the safe will be inside a cattle car.”  He glanced down at the note.  “The X means there will be an X on the car to mark the spot.”

“That's definitely a different place to hide a safe,” Heyes acknowledged.  “But how will you know which train and when?”

“Not me – you will know.  It'll be part of your job to find out.”

“And how am I supposed to do that cooped up in here?”  Heyes waved his hands in the air and glared at the other man.  “And that brings up another very important question I need answered before I can do any kind of planning. What kind of safe will I be trying to crack open?”

“All in due time, Heyes; no need for theatrics.  You and I will be taking a trip into town later today.  I've arranged a meeting with our inside man and they'll give you all the details you need.  Satisfied?”

“Not even a tiny bit!” Heyes ground out.  “But it looks like I don't have much of a choice,” he added.

“Are you always this grumpy before breakfast?”  John quirked a brow in Heyes' direction.

“No, that's usually my partner,” Heyes retorted, his expression grim.  “Will he get anything for breakfast?”

“Tsk, tsk, tsk,” John admonished him.  “Of course, he will.  Your overwhelming concern for the Kid is commendable, I'll give you that.  We're all aware that if we take good care of him, you're more likely to do the job right.”

Heyes' poker face was in full view when he answered.  “I only have what you tell me about my partner to go on. You can tell me anything you want, but I don't have to believe you.  In fact, your refusal to let me see him makes me tend not to want to trust you at all.”

A long, tense silence followed Heyes' words.  When John finally replied, his words were clipped, his expression hardened.  “That's right, Heyes.  I don't give a hill of beans whether or not you trust me, or that you want to see Curry again.  I'm in charge of this operation and what I say goes!  If you try to double-cross me, or screw this up somehow, you will never see the Kid alive again and that's something you can believe for sure!”

The two men glared at each other in silence.  Who would have broken it first was destined to remain unknown, because Riley walked into the room.  Heyes and John turned to face him in unison.

Riley halted in place and gulped when he saw the twin expressions of undiluted anger on their faces.  “Uh, sorry to interrupt, Boss, but you told Sam you wanted to eat as soon as possible.”

“That's fine, Riley,” John snapped.  “Follow him to the table, Heyes!” he ordered tersely.  “We'll finish our discussion after breakfast.”  Hands on hip, he watched the other man leave through narrowed eyes.  “You have no idea just who you're dealing with, Mr. Hannibal Heyes,” he hissed.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Once Riley had served everyone breakfast, he made a plate of the leftovers and walked down to where the Kid was being kept prisoner.

“You awake, Curry?” he called out cheerfully as he entered the cavern.

“Not much else to do,” came the laconic reply.  “Why?”

“Just wanted to make sure you were still around,” Riley added.

“Where else would I be?” the Kid groused.

Riley set the torch against a rock and put an unlit lantern next to it.  “I brought you some breakfast.”

“'Bout time; seems more like it oughta be closer to dinnertime!”  Curry's words were laced with sarcasm.

“I'd say you got up on the wrong side of the bed, but then you ain't got one now, do you?” Riley chuckled.

“Funny,” the Kid retorted.  “You gonna feed me or do I get to feed myself?”

“Don't worry, you're gonna get untied.”  Riley pulled his gun from his holster.  “Better not try anything stupid though,” he warned.

“I won't,” Curry promised.  As soon as the ropes binding his arms were removed, he brought them forward and slowly stretched them.  Already he could feel the blood beginning to circulate again.  He looked hopefully up at Riley.  “My feet, too?”

Riley shook his head.  “Nope, just the hands; boss's orders.  You don't need your feet to eat.”

“You're right, I don't,” the Kid sighed.  “But it would sure feel good.”

“Just get busy eatin',” Riley snapped.  “I ain't got all day to sit 'round an' babysit you!  One of the other men'll be down in jus' a bit so you can take care of any personal business that needs tendin' to.”

Speaking around a mouthful of food, Curry voiced a question.  “My partner said we were in some kinda underground cave, but I jus' can't figure out how I got here.  An' another thing, how'd you get all this stuff,” he pointed to his plate, the food on it and waved a hand in the general area of the torch and lantern, “down here?”  He cocked his head to the side.  “Or is that up here?”

Riley regarded him for a moment in silence before he spoke.  “Guess it won't hurt none to answer your questions,” he shrugged.  “You're not goin' anywhere, an' Heyes seems to be cooperatin', so there's no reason for you to remain in the dark.  Oh, that reminds me,” he pointed to the lantern with his gun.  “That gets to stay here when I leave.  You can thank your partner for it.”

“Will it be lit?” Curry questioned wryly around a bite of biscuit.

“Why wouldn't it?  That's why I brought it.”  Riley gave the other man a pointed look.  “Now, to get back to your questions...  You asked how you got here.  Well, let's say that we didn't bring you in the same way we did Heyes. If we had tried that you prob'ly would've drowned an' – ”

“Hold on,” Curry interrupted.  “There's something I can't figure out; it don't make no sense.  “If I didn't come in through the lake, how'd I get so wet?”

“We were on our way to help Tucker bring you in the back way, when a real gullywasher poured outta the sky, drenching all of us to the skin,” Riley explained.  “I don't know how you didn't wake up with the lightnin', the thunder an' the downpour all happenin' at once.”

“I got a pretty hard blow to my head; I'd say that's a pretty good guess to explain why I missed it all.  Alright, tell me 'bout the other way in; you've got my attention.”

“Well, like I said, there's a secret back way into the cave that you can't see from the outside; it's completely hidden from view.  You'd never know it was there if you weren't lookin' for it.  Same way we got most of our provisions here, too.  There's no way this stuff would've survived comin' in through all that water.  Things would've been waterlogged; the powder in the guns would've been wet, an' we wouldn't've had any dry clothes or blankets to use – they'd have all been damp.”

The Kid nodded thoughtfully as he chewed his last bite of food.  “Things make a lot more sense now.”  There was a short silence before he spoke again.  “This entrance... is it far from here?  I mean do you havta carry things a long way to get 'em in here?  I'd think it'd be pretty hard work luggin' heavy stuff 'round.”

Riley squared his shoulders, but didn't answer right away.  When he did reply, he was hesitant, as if feeling his way around what to say.  “We have a cart that helps with the heavy stuff.   As for how far away it is, I can't see how knowin' that would do you any good.”

“You're right,” Kid gave him a reassuring smile.  “Thanks for sharin' that with me, Riley.  I promise, I won't let anyone know you told me about the secret entrance.  I'm jus' glad you're willin' to talk to me.  It's kinda nice to hear a voice besides my own for a change.”

“I 'preciate you keepin' quiet, Curry.  No need to borrow trouble when you don't havta.”

“No, you sure don't.”  Curry paused.  “Would you mind a fella askin' how you got tangled up with this bunch?  You look kinda young to be with 'em.”

“It wasn't anything really,” Riley shrugged.  “Not much to tell.  I've been on my own since I was twelve.  My ma an' pa died when the smallpox came to our town; I was lucky enough to survive.  At least that was what folks told me. I didn't have anybody else, no other relatives, an' nobody in the town wanted to take me in, so I had to fend for myself.”

Curry nodded in understanding.  “My friend an' I had pretty much the same thing happen, only we lost our parents when we were even younger than you.  It's tough to try an' make it on your own out there, isn't it?”

Riley nodded and continued.  “Anyway, a couple years ago the boss an' I ran into each other.  I was workin' the livery stable an' he brought his horse in.  We saw each other a couple times durin' the next few days then, when it was time to leave, he asked me if I wanted to go with him.  Told me that I could make more money with him than I could earn workin' in the barn for five years.  'Course I said yes -- who wouldn't?  When I asked him how, he jus' smiled an' said I'd be helpin' him do all kinds of odd jobs, you know, whatever needed doin'.”

Riley heaved a deep sigh, then continued.  “The boss was the first person to ever care 'bout what happened to me, an' I owe him a lot for lettin' me be part of his gang.  I don't ask a lotta questions, an' to tell you the truth, I don't think I wanna know all the answers.  All I know is that I haven't wanted, or needed, anything since I joined up with him.”

Curry's expression became thoughtful once again.  “How old are you now?”

“Sixteen!” the boy shot back, sounding defensive.

The Kid nodded.  “Old enough to make your own choices.”

“I sure 'nough am.  I think I made a dang good choice.”

“Maybe.”

“Whaddya mean by 'maybe'?”

“There's lots of things you don't don't know about your boss, for starters.”

“And you do?” Riley's hands balled into fists as he glared at the other man.  “Tell me – how's a wanted outlaw like Kid Curry know more'n I do 'bout my boss?”

“I've dealt with men like him before an' –”

“Stop it!”

“Have you ever given any thought to leavin' –”

“Shut up!” Riley cut him off heatedly.  “I think we're done here, Curry!”

“Hear me out,” the Kid persisted.  “You're not a bad kid; you jus' got mixed up with the wrong people –”

“I said that's enough!” Riley shouted.  “You know, I didn't believe John when he told me that you'd try an' trick me! He said you'd try an' talk me into turnin on 'em!  Guess he was right, huh?”  He pulled the gun from his holster. “You know the routine, hands behind –”

“– my back, yeah I know,” Curry finished.  “Hey, I didn't mean –”

“We both know what you meant!” Riley snapped as he tied the Kid's hands again.  He picked up the plate and set it on a nearby rock.  Taking out a match, he lit the lantern.  “There you go!” he said curtly.  “I might be back later with your dinner.”  Without another word, the boy pivoted about and stormed out of the cavern.

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 33_kc_10

“I had to try,” Curry sighed.  “Even if it means I made the cook mad at me.”  He turned his head to stare at the flickering lantern casting shadows on the walls.  “At least I have you to keep me company.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Heyes was sitting at the table when Riley stalked into the room.  He watched the boy in thoughtful silence as he scraped the plate and tossed it into a tub of water to be washed.  “Was that the plate you took down to my partner?”

Scrubbing the plate as if it were the enemy, Riley spoke without looking up from his task.  “Maybe!” he snapped.

Quirking a brow, Heyes tried a different tactic.  “You sure do keep everyone well fed around here.”

“I'd better – it's my job – an' I'm glad to have it!”

Heyes waited a moment before he spoke again.  “I don't mean to pry, Riley, but did something happen?  Something to make you mad?”

Riley threw the dishcloth in the water, slopping water everywhere and turned a heated glare on Heyes.  “Boy, both you an' Curry sure are real good at stickin' your noses into places where they don't belong, ain't you!?”  He pivoted about and, with angry strides, exited the room.

Heyes was left to sip his coffee alone.  “Wonder what he meant by that remark?”

A moment later John strode into the room with purposeful steps, speaking without preamble.  “You need to make a list of what supplies you'll need to break into the safe.”

Heyes eyed him over the rim of his coffee cup.  “Depends on what kind of a safe it is.”

“Does it really make that much of a difference?  A safe's a safe.”

“No, it's not.”  Heyes set his cup down.  “A safe is like a woman; no two are exactly alike.  And, like a woman, you treat them as individuals to get what you want from them.”

John released an exasperated sigh and rolled his eyes.  “So, if I get you the information you can make up a list?”

Heyes nodded.  “Yes.”

“Fine – I'll get it for you!”

“Everybody sure is touchy today,” Heyes observed as he took another drink of his coffee.

*~*~*~*~*~*

A FEW HOURS LATER THAT SAME DAY

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow Heyes_30

To his surprise, Heyes had found a couple books to read.  He was sitting on the ground, leaning back against the wall, holding one between his hands when John stalked into the room.

“Here are the details you said you needed!”  He thrust a piece of paper in Heyes' direction.

Heyes closed his book, then reached out and took it.  Once he had unfolded it and read what was written upon it, he whistled through his teeth.  “I was afraid of that.”  He looked up at the other man, his expression poker-faced.

“What?” John demanded, hands on his hips.

“Oh nothing,” Heyes answered.  “It's just that this says the safe is a Pierce & Hamilton '78.”

“So what?”

“A Pierce & Hamilton is one of the hardest – and trickiest – to bust open, that's what.”

“But you're Hannibal Heyes.  You can open any safe – or so they say,” he finished with a mocking sneer.

“They can say whatever they want, but even Hannibal Heyes has his limit.”

“Are you telling me you can't, or won't, open the safe?”

“I'm not telling you anything of the sort!”  Heyes' words were accompanied by a vehement shake of his head. “What I am telling you, is that this safe is the queen of all safes.  She requires some special equipment – specific to a P&H '78 – not to mention some very special attention to details, to get her open.”

His suspicions aroused, John pinned Heyes with a look.  “What kind of equipment?”

“Well, for starters, a Bryant Pump, some quick-drying putty, blasting caps, a long length of fuse, a funnel, and a bottle of nitro-glycerin.”

“Nitro-glycerin?”  John's brow shot up into his hairline.  “You sure?”

“Positive.  I've read all about how Hannibal Heyes opened a couple of these safes and it's not an easy job.  It's time-consuming as well as extremely dangerous.  It's also a two-man job.”  Heyes got to his feet.  “Which is why I need my partner to help me.”

“No way, Heyes!” John snapped.  “I'll be the one going with you!”

“It won't work,” Heyes shook his head, a stubborn set to his jaw.  “You don't know how or what to do.  My partner does and he's very good at it.”

“I don't care if Curry's an expert and can do it in his sleep – he's notgoing with you and that's final!”

“Look, if you want this job done right –”

“It will be done right – and you and I will be the ones doing it!”

“I don't have the time to teach you what to do or how to do it!” Heyes' voice rose an octave as his patience wore thin.  “My friend –”

“I don't care – I'm a quick learner!  The Kid is not leaving here and you are going to tell me what to do every single step of the way.  You'd best keep in mind that Curry's life depends on what happens on this robbery.  If we don't get the safe open, and get our hands on that payroll, your partner is dead and you'll soon follow.  Is that clear?”

Heyes' jaw clenched in anger, a vein in his neck pulsated rapidly and his eyes were as frigid as a winter storm. “Crystal.”

John stared back, his expression hard and unyielding.  “Good; now that that's been taken care of, get busy and make that list!”  He stood with his arms akimbo on his hips.

“It's not that simple!” Heyes protested.  “You can't just expect to walk into town, sashay up to a clerk and ask for these things!   It's equipment specific to a robbery and even the most common folks would know in a minute what you're up to.”  He took a steadying breath.  “Earlier you said you'd take me into town.  Let me handle things; I can get what's needed without arousing any suspicion.”

“And just why should I trust you?”

“For the same reason you know I'll do the job right: my partner's life.”

John didn't respond right away.  “Okay, Heyes; we'll do it your way,” he said finally.  “But just one screw-up and Curry's a goner.”

“Don't worry; there won't be any.”

“Now that we understand each other, I still want you to make that list, so you'd best get started!  There's a pencil and some paper over there in that drawer.”

Heyes crossed the room to get the items and sat down at the table.  Putting the pencil to the paper, he began to write.

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 36_hey10

*~*~*~*~*~*

TWO HOURS LATER

John took Heyes out of the cave the same way he had brought him in.

“There's no need for me to tie you up, just hold onto this rope so you won't get lost.  It can get pretty tricky unless you know your way around down here.”

The two men took deep breaths, then dove down under the water.

Heyes came up sputtering.  Kneeling on the edge of the water, his hands on his knees, he coughed a few times before he could speak.  “The water's so murky – how do you see where you're going?”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 36_hey11

“Practice,” John shrugged.  “I could do it blindfolded, but I won't.”  He glanced away and pointed at one of two piles of dry clothing.  “Get those on,” he ordered, then inclined his head in the opposite direction.  “The horses over there are for us to ride into town,” he indicated the two mounts tethered to a nearby bush.

Back in his own clothing, Heyes pulled his hat down firmly to shade his eyes from the bright sun.  “It's nice to feel like myself again,” he muttered, tugging on a boot.

“Mount up, Heyes,” John called out, already in the saddle.  “We've got a long ride ahead of us.”

Astride his horse, Heyes turned to face John.  “Mind not calling me Heyes when we're in town?  I'd rather you call me Joshua.”

“Don't worry, Joshua,” he smirked.  “Nobody will be any the wiser as to your true identity.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

TWO HOURS LATER, THAT SAME AFTERNOON

The two riders passed a sign at the edge of town.

“Welcome to Grubstake,” Heyes read the sign aloud.  “Can't say I've ever heard of it.”

“You're not alone; most folks haven't.  It's a small mining town.”  John shifted in his saddle and pointed off to the right.  “Remember when I told you about the mines and their payrolls?  See those three mountains in the distance? The road through them is called 'Governor's Pass.'  That tall mountain on the far left, that's 'Copper Cliffs.'  It's no surprise that it got its name from the copper that's mined inside.  That mound next to it is 'Ragged Mountain.'  It has one of the best silver veins ever discovered in these parts.  The third one's called 'Prospector's Mesa,' and has the reputation for being one of the largest gold-producing mines in the country.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 44_mou10

“And those are the three mines that you're planning to rob of their payrolls,” Heyes stated flatly.

Ignoring Heyes' remark as if he hadn't spoken, John continued.  “You remember everything I told you on the ride in?”  He pulled on the reins and brought his mount up short.

Heyes nodded as he halted beside the other man.  “Your inside man will make contact with me and give me the name of the train and where it's headed,” he recited by rote, “as well as the date and time.”  He cocked his head and looked at John through narrowed eyes, a frown on his face.  “You know, that's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out.  How come you can't do this part yourself?  It seems very simple; why do you need me?”

“I have my reasons,” he shrugged.  “I'm pretty well-known here in town and I don't want any connection made between me and my inside man.  You're a stranger in these parts, as far as anyone knows.  “You can get away with more and avoid being noticed.  Anything else you're curious about?”

“No,” Heyes shook his head.  “At least for now.”

“What else are you going to do while you're here?”

“I'd like to play a few hands of poker,” Heyes quipped.

John pinned him with a glare.  “You're going to get everything you need for the robbery.”

“I may not be able to get the pump; it depends on whether or not the mining supply store has them in stock.”

“Oh, that won't be a problem.  You see, I've got a little surprise for you; we're not getting the supplies from the mining store in town.”

“Oh?” Heyes quirked a brow.  “We're not?”

“When night falls, you and me will be paying a visit to the mine's supply shack.  A little nocturnal shopping that won't cost us a cent, and it certainly won't arouse any suspicions.  One of my men scouted it out yesterday.  They checked to see if there was anyone on guard at night.  There isn't.  So that leaves us free, and in the clear, to take what we need without any interference.  They'll never even miss it.”

Heyes' shoulders slumped slightly and he released a quiet sigh of defeat.  “You've thought of everything, haven't you?”

“I'm very thorough.  You're not the only one who does the thinking, Heyes.  You're just a cog in the wheel.  I figured that you were hoping someone, or something, might gum up the works, eh?”

“Now why would I hope for that?” Heyes answered rhetorically.  “You already threatened to kill my partner if anything goes wrong.”

John cast the ex-outlaw a knowing glance.  “Sure did.  Let's get into town and get this over with.”

Heyes kneed his horse and trailed behind.  “You don't know me very well, John,” he muttered under his breath. “Oh, you may think you do, but if I were you, I'd be very suspicious – and worried.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Heyes and John stopped so they could separate before they went into the town.

“Don't forget that I'll be watching you every step of the way, Heyes,” John warned.  “One mistake and it's adios Kid Curry.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 38_hey11

His back to the man, Heyes muttered under his breath, “With you reminding me every five minutes, how could I ever forget?!”  He guided his horse through the middle of town and over to the hitching post in front of the mercantile, then dismounted.  Securing the reins around the post, he stepped up and onto the boardwalk.  Spying a bench near the door, Heyes positioned himself so that he had a clear view in both directions and waited.

Fifteen minutes passed.  Heyes gave a polite nod to one of the townspeople as they passed by and sighed.  “A graveyard has more activity than this town.”  He stood up to stretch and, as he turned around, his arm accidentally knocked a basket out of the hands of a woman passing by.  Both bent down to collect the items that had been scattered on the boardwalk.

“I'm sorry,” Heyes apologized and looked up into a pair of pretty hazel eyes.  The corners of his mouth turned up in a grin.  “Well, maybe not too sorry.”

“No need to apologize, Mr. Heyes.  It was all my fault and on purpose,” the woman responded in a quiet voice.

Heyes froze, a ball of yarn in his hand.  The grin vanished faster than it had appeared.  “How do you know that name?” he demanded.

“We have a mutual friend named John.  Please, continue to help me pick up these beans while we talk; we don't have much time.”

“You're the inside man?” Heyes hissed in disbelief.

“Guilty as charged.”

“How'd you get mixed up with a guy like John?”  Heyes pressed as he scooped up a handful of string beans and dumped them into the basket.

The woman's words were rushed.  “I can't tell you everything – I have to make this short or he'll be suspicious.  My bonnet will hide my face, but he'll be able to see yours, so just listen.  I have a husband and three small children and all of us are in terrible danger if we don't do what John tells us to do.  My job as secretary in the bank allows me to get the information he needs to pull off this robbery without arousing suspicion.  Please, Mr. Heyes, just do what he says so he'll leave us alone!”

“Call me Joshua,” Heyes cautioned.  “We can't afford for anyone to overhear the other one, not if we want this to work.”

“I wish it didn't have to work for us to be rid of that horrible man!”

“What's your name?”

“Sarah...” she said softly.  “Sarah Williams.”

“Well, Sarah, suppose you tell me what you need to and leave that horrible man to me?” Heyes coaxed gently.

“Oh, if only it was that simple,” she replied shakily and pressed a piece of paper into the palm of his hand.  “It's all written down: The railroad is the B&P and it'll be carrying the payroll two days from now, on Wednesday the 23rd, in the early morning.  It'll be heading into Medicine Flatts.”

As they tossed the last of the string beans into the basket, Heyes stood up and held out his hand to help Sarah to her feet.  He tipped his hat to her and raised his voice to be heard.  “I'm real sorry little lady that I knocked that basket right outta your hands.  I'll be more careful where I swing my arms in the future.”

Sarah bowed her head, then turned and walked away at a fast pace.

Heyes stood on the boardwalk watching her thoughtfully until she disappeared into the bank.  “How about that – the inside man was a woman!”  He grinned and sat back down on his bench to wait as instructed.  His eyes wandered over the town again.  “Hot baths,” he murmured.  He glanced over at the telegraph office a short distance away.  A moment later a gleam appeared in his eyes.  “It could work.”

“What could work?” a voice inquired sharply.

“I was just thinking out loud,” Heyes answered without missing a beat.  “Figuring things out now that I have the additional info.  It's an early morning job; gives us plenty of time.  Much better than late afternoon.  Oh, and your inside man sure has a good disguise.”

“I thought you might appreciate the irony in it.  Now, as your boss, I decree that the next thing on the agenda is that we are going over to that cafe and have some supper before we ride back.”

Heyes rose from the bench.  “I'm not all that hungry, but I could sure go for a hot bath.”

“Haven't you been in enough water these past few days?”

“That was cold water!” Heyes mock shivered.  “I'm talking about soaking in a tub of nice, hot water.  That would feel great.”

“You'd rather soak than eat?”  John quirked a brow at Heyes.

“The only thing I'd rather do than soak,” Heyes retorted as he shifted his gaze back across the street, “is to go over to that saloon, have a few beers and play some poker, but you already squashed that idea.”

His words were met with silence.  Then, “Alright, you've convinced me, Joshua.”

Heyes grinned.

“I think a nice long soak in a tub of hot water will do us both good.”

Heyes' grin slipped a notch.  “Uh, huh.”

“C'mon, what are you waiting for?” John inquired cheerfully.

“Nothing, just got a little stiff from sitting,” Heyes replied, casting a wistful glance at the telegraph office.

The two men walked side-by-side towards the hotel.  

John swung a companionable arm around Heyes' shoulders.  “You didn't seriously think I was going to let you bathe all alone now, did you?”  When Heyes didn't respond, John's chortle of laughter rang out in the street.

Heyes shrugged free of John's arm and stepped sideways.  “Some things a fella just enjoys doing by himself!” he snapped and fell in behind John.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Despite being under vigilant observation by John's eagle eyes, Heyes managed to get a brief note written with instructions for it to be sent by telegraph as soon as possible.  He attached a few dollars and was able to give it to one of the young men who carried the buckets of hot water to the tubs.  Heyes pressed the note and money into the boy's hand, whispered a few words, and winked at him.  Relaxing in the water, satisfied that things were going according to his plan, Heyes leaned back against the tub and allowed a fleeting smile to grace his face.

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 41_hey11

Seeing the amount of money, the boy grinned and nodded in understanding before he quickly left the room.

After their soak, much to Heyes' surprise, John seemed to be in especially good spirits.  “I don't know about you, Joshua, but I'm downright starving!  This time I'm not taking no for an answer, so we are going to go over to that diner right now and have a meal before we head back.”

Having no other choice but to follow, Heyes trailed behind his captor and sat down at the table.  Removing his hat, he tossed it on the table with a sigh.

“Something wrong, Joshua?” John inquired politely.

Heyes glanced at him before he answered.  “No,” he shook his head.  “Nothing wrong, just puzzling.”

After they had given their orders, John leaned back in his chair and regarded Heyes before he spoke.  “You said puzzling.  Who, or what, is puzzling you?”

“You.”

“Me?” John chuckled.  “What about me is puzzling you?”

“The way you run hot and cold!” Heyes hissed and leaned forward to put his elbows on the table.  He looked John straight in the eyes.  “One minute you're the genial Scottish outlaw, the next you're the big Boss Man giving orders and running an underwater cave as your hideout.  Then you get as prickly as a porcupine when I don't do what you want and you threaten to kill my partner.  And now?  Now you're as happy as a lark, acting as if you don't have a care in the world and you're sharing a nice, friendly meal with me like I'm a long-lost friend.  That's what's got me puzzled!  Can you blame me?”

John took a sip of his coffee.  “I must say, you do me a great honor, Joshua.”  He lowered his voice and leaned in to whisper, “To think that I am somewhat of an enigma to the great Hannibal Heyes, why that's quite a feather in my cap, wouldn't you say?”

Scowling, Heyes sat back in his chair.  “That wasn't quite what I was going for,” he replied wryly.  Before he could add more, their food arrived and, by mutual consent, conversation was kept to a minimum as the two tucked in.

After their server had set slices of warm apple pie and steaming cups of coffee in front of them, John took a bite of his pie, smacked his lips and broke the silence.  “Umm, umm, umm, this pie is a real killer – one, a person might even say, is worth dying for.”

Something he detected in the man's tone caused Heyes to lift his head and look into John's face.  Nothing he saw there eased his wariness.  He swallowed what was in his mouth so he could answer.  “I wouldn't go quite that far. I'll admit the pie's pretty good, but worth dying for?”  He shook his head.  “No.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 42_hey12

John leaned back in his chair.  “No?  He quirked a brow and gave a dismissive shrug.  “Well then, let's return to our earlier conversation, shall we?”

“Yes?”  Heyes cut another bite of pie, then scooped it onto his fork.

“Oh, I was just wondering what you would say,” John began, an enigmatic expression on his face, “if I were to tell you that you shouldn't expect a certain Mr. Harry Briscoe from the Bannerman Detective Agency to show up and save the day.”

Heyes' hand stopped mid-way to his mouth.  The forkful of pie he was about to eat fell to the table.

“Oh, come now,” John chided Heyes.  “Nothing to say?  Cat got your tongue, Joshua?  You didn't think I'd find out about your clever little scheme, did you?”  John held his closed fist over the center of the table, turned it palm up and opened his hand.

Heyes stared at the incriminating piece of evidence laying in John's palm and found it difficult to swallow.  He laid his fork down without being conscious of doing it.

John let the paper slip through his fingers to drop to the table.  “I let the boy keep the dollar. I mean, after all, he did try to do the job you paid him for.” He raised his eyes to look into Heyes' face. “I knew you'd attempt something, so I decided to afford you the opportunity. The fun part was watching you try to weasel a way to get to take a bath all by yourself.” His eyes traveled down to the uneaten pie in front of Heyes. “Oh, dear, dear me... I see I've totally ruined dessert for you - what a shame.”

John took the last bite of his own pie and smacked his lips with pleasure before he drank down the remainder of his coffee. “Well, fun time is over,” he announced cheerfully and set the cup down. “We should be getting on to the next leg of our journey, not to mention that I have some very important things that really must be taken care of once we get back to the cavern.”

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow 42_hey14

A muscle in Heyes' right jaw twitched. Hands that rested on his thighs under the table clenched into tight fists. His eyes bored into the face of the man seated across from him.  “Thaddeus...?”  Heyes managed to say as he awaited the other man's verdict.

END OF PART ONE

*~*~*~*~*~*

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on moonshadow’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)
Penski
Post Sat 14 Mar 2020, 4:51 pm by Penski
Oh, what an exciting story, moonshadow!  study They barely get away from a posse only to get tangled up with a group of bad outlaws.  What a great hideout!  No one is going to find them there.  What?  A cliffhanger and I have to wait a whole week to find out what happens?  sigh... Very good story - can't wait to see how they get out of this one!  clap
Oh, I can't wait a whole week!
Post Sat 14 Mar 2020, 10:47 pm by LittleBluestem
How is Heyes going to get them out of this one?? How am I going to wait a whole week to find out?! He managed to find the secret passage beneath the shack -- this time will he find the secret way into the cave hideout? Will Riley turn on the gang? You've got me dangling over the cliff, Moonshadow! Suspenseful story, unusual and interesting hide-out, a truly evil gang leader (and the Scottish accent makes him intriguing!), and great dialogue! I especially enjoyed the line from Heyes comparing safes to women! I also like how you found such appropriate pictures to go along with the story. Can't wait to read the ending!
Post Sun 15 Mar 2020, 12:43 am by Laura
Oh my gosh, what can I say?. This is great. I, like the other two ladies, have to wait a whole week to find out what happens. So much has already gone on, what is next? They leave the posse wondering where they went and then get caught by these lowlifes. I liked all of Heyes' promises made to Kid and of course Kid trusts him. We really have to wait a whole week? Lovin it.
Post Tue 17 Mar 2020, 12:03 am by ladkisso
wow Very intense, eager to read part 2. Whoever this fellow is, he seems to be one step ahead of Heyes in some areas. Very curious as to why he wants Heyes to plan the robbery.
Post Sun 05 Apr 2020, 8:18 am by Nightwalker
Oh my, what serious trouble the boys got into. Quite a devilish plan. I bet you can't trust John one bit. Will he go easy on Heyes after he has tricked him? Poor boys....

I especially like your idea and description of the hideout the gang uses. And I love the pictures you used to illustrate your story.

Incident at Hanging Lake Part 1 by moonshadow

Page 1 of 1