Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Empty
PostFrauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Openin10

A simple delivery job leaves the boys short of money and stuck in the middle of nowhere.  They need money and quickly.  But Heyes already has a plan...

Starring

Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry
Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Heyes_31

Guest Starring

Taylor Hickson as Tasha
Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Taylor10

Russell Crow as Kevin Blake
Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Russel12

Nikolai Sergejewitsch Walujew as Ivan, the Ironman

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Nikola10

Frauds and Fistfights
by Nightwalker

SETTING:  The view opens to an almost endless-looking plain.  Sagebrush and rocks are the only uprisings besides distant mountains that limit the view on the horizon.  If there is such a thing as a dry sea it could be the current surroundings – a sea of stone and dust.  Yet there is movement.  Two horses, one chestnut, one black bay, plod their way through the otherwise lifeless desert.  As they draw closer, it becomes evident to the unobtrusive eye that two men are riding double on the back of the fair animal.

The dark mount is tethered to the saddle of its companion and visibly limping.  The dusty riders look as tired as their horses.  Their hats sit deep on their heads, one of them brown, the other one noticeably darker, shielding the eyes from the merciless sun above.  Both of their headgear are graced with very distinctive hatbands.  Slowly the quartet crosses the plain.

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_1_11

“I wish you'd get your hands off me,” Hannibal Heyes snapped and shifted uncomfortably in the saddle.

“And drop from this skittish horse of yours?”

“There’s nothing skittish about him anymore.  We've been riding double for two days now.”

“Wasn’t my fault.”

“It was your horse that pulled a leg.”

“No way to see that groundhog hole in time.  Could've been yours as well.”

“But it wasn’t.”

“What’s wrong with you?” Curry flared up.  “There's no way I can change a thing about it now.”

“You could get away from me.  You're all sweaty!  And you’re making me sweat, too.”

“Of course, I’m sweaty!  It’s hot.”

Heyes heaved a sigh.  “Heck, just give me some room to breathe, will you?”

His partner grunted and shifted back a mite.  Silence fell, only disturbed by the almost hypnotic sound of hoofbeats.  At least for a little while.

“We’re late,” Heyes started again.

“I know we’re late.”

“We should've been there almost three days ago.”

“I know that, too.”

“Should’ve let her loose and got another horse.”

“We can’t afford one.  We’ve gotta give her time to heal up.”

“Which means we’ll be stuck there, at least for a while.”

“I don’t like it, Heyes.”

“We’ve been in worse places in the past.”

“You sure?  The name’s kind of a bad omen.”

Heyes smiled in amusement.  “You getting suspicious now you’re getting older, Kid?”

“C’mon, Heyes.  ‘Widow Creek’?  Really?”  Kid Curry shifted uneasily in the saddle again.  “Kinda forebodin’, ain’t it?”

“Now, Kid, as far as I know you don't have a wife, so why do you care?”

Kid Curry’s look threw daggers into his partner's back, who moved uncomfortably as if he could feel it.  “I do care, ‘cause it sounds a lot like low-flyin' bullets to me.  And no matter if you’re on the dispensin’ or the receivin’ end, it’s trouble either way.”

“It’s all in the way you look at things.  Why don’t you think more positive, like in the way of lonely ladies looking for company instead?”

Kid Curry snorted.  “The way our luck’s runnin’?  I bet there’s no woman younger than sixty anywhere near.”

Heyes replied with a laugh, “Well, nothing wrong with nice, attentive old ladies either...”

SETTING: The camera draws back and the bantering voices grow softer.  As the angle changes, it becomes evident, that the boys are heading for a town nearby.  A wooden bridge spans over the sorry excuse of a creek framed by dusty vegetation, indicating there can be more water at some time of the year, which is most definitely not now.  The horses plod on steadily, their hooves thumping hollow as they hit the planks.  A sign on the other side welcomes travelers to the town of Widow Creek, empathized by creepy music.

[Fade out]
[Well-known Trailer]
[Fade in]

SETTING: The town is of medium size for this area with the usual bustle on the main street: farmers with wagons stocking up their supplies, vendors and women with children occupying the sidewalk, a few cowhands and shady figures heading for the saloon. While the Kid tends to the horses, Heyes passes by the saloon and hotel, then goes straight to the lawyer’s office.

In a swift movement he tried to enter but was stopped short.  The door won't open.  He tried the handle again and found the door locked.  Taking time for a closer look, his wandering eyes were caught by a note tacked to the wall:

“This is to inform any concerned parties
that this office will be closed
until Monday morning.”

Finished reading, Heyes cursed under his breath and checked the surroundings.  The office was framed by two other buildings.  He took a step back and read the sign of the business to the left of the office.

“Cyrus Black,
Carpenter and Undertaker.”

Then he glanced to the shop on the right.

“Mary McGilly,
Ladies Wear and Finery.”

His expression was thoughtful as his eyes moved between the two shops.  He pushed his hat back and forth before he entered the latter one.

The grandmotherly-looking lady behind the counter was neatly dressed with her lush hair tamed into a bun.  She looked up with a smile and greeted the visitor.  “What can I do for you, son?”

Heyes took his hat off and cleared his throat.  “Well, ma’am, I’m sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you would happen to know where I can find your neighbor, Mr. Stephenson.”

The smile of Mrs. McGilly deepened.  “Of course, young man.  He went to Shepardsville two days ago for the trial of Matt O’Donnelly.”

“Matt ‘Blackbeard’ O’Donnelly?  The guy who once rode with the Devil’s Hole Gang?”

“Oh, yes.  He’s charged with horse theft and murder.  A very sad case.  Everybody loved Daniel Hopper.  He had the biggest ranch around, but a heart of gold.  His wife is heartbroken.”

“I see.  Can you tell me where I can find Mrs. Stephenson?”

“Mrs. Stephenson?”

“Mr. Stephenson’s wife.  He is married, isn’t he?”

Mrs. McGilly answered the question with a pearly laugh.  “Oh, no.  No.  He claims it becomes his health staying a bachelor in this town.  But he has trustworthy friends, if you would like to leave him a message.”  She leaned forward.  “Friends like me.”

“No, thank you, ma’am.  It’s kinda businesslike.”  With a friendly nod, Heyes took his leave.  On the street again he drew in a deep breath, slammed his hat back onto his head and headed for the saloon.

-o-o-o-

SETTING:  The saloon looks pretty much like any other the boys have ever visited.  The Kid is nowhere to be seen yet.  The place is more crowded and livelier than usual at midday, but Heyes easily finds an empty space at the bar.

Heyes caught the barkeep's eye.  “A bottle of whiskey and two glasses.”  He filled one of them, took a sip and made a face.  Then he turned around, panning the room.  A gathering of exceedingly noisy men caught his attention.  One in the middle of the group raised his hand and the sounds ceased.  He appeared to be in his mid-forties, his brown hair and beard were cut short.  Clad in a black jacket, pants and vest, he looked way better situated than the average patron in there.  In a voice loud enough to carry into every corner of the room, he immediately gained the crowd's attention the moment he began to speak.

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_2_11

“Patience, patience, my friends.  We’ll get it all settled soon enough.  Yes, there will be a boxing championship in this lovely town.  You can sign in any time to get a chance to win the title.  All you need to do is beat our current champion.  He just arrived and is taking a rest now from the straining journey.  I challenge every man here to try his luck and show us all what he’s really made of!  I stake on our champion, and of course everyone can place bets before a fight starts, supporting your personal favorite.

“A fight goes over three rounds.  The winner earns the title, documented in an official certificate, and the trophy money of $100.  Just think of it: $100 earned in less than fifteen minutes!  And don’t forget about the glory. V You’ll be the local hero!  All the girls are gonna love and admire you.  Are a few bruises too high a price for the reward you’ll get?”  He winked at his audience, and the crowd started cheering.  “Get your registration form and leave it with Charley, the bartender.  He’ll pass them on to me.  We need at least three fighters to make the evening worthwhile...”

Heyes turned around and pursed his lips.  He waved the bartender over.  “You know something about that fight?”

“Why, sure.  The man over there calls himself Kevin Blake.  He’s the manager of a kind of traveling roadshow.  They camp somewhere outside town and he’s strict about keeping his champion out of sight of everyone.”

“You think it’s a fair fight?”

“Well, depends.  I guess the champion’ll be quite a challenge.  Tasha, one of my girls, provides them with supplies.  She needs the extra money and doesn’t mind the delivery job.  She said he’s a man of men, larger than life.  My guess, she’s exaggerating, though.  You know these girls, don’t you?  But if he really is like she says, there ain’t no need for any other tricks.”

“So, you think a really good and determined man could best him?”

“I don’t know, but it’s sure worth a try.”

“Yeah, I suppose you’re right.”  A smug smile appeared on Heyes’ face and put a twinkle in his eyes.  “And I know exactly the right man for the job.”

A couple of men got up.  On their way out they discussed strategies to take the champion down, bantering and bragging.  Heyes nodded at the waiter, took the bottle and glasses, and strode over to the deserted table.  On his way he made a little detour to Kevin Blake.

-o-o-o-

When Kid Curry arrived, the saloon was quiet again.  Heyes sat at a table on the far side of the room, accompanied by a bottle of whiskey and two glasses.  He was writing on a paper in front of him.

“You’ve got our pay?” The Kid greeted him as he took a seat opposite his partner.  “I sure hope so, because I had to pay for our horses in advance.”

Heyes looked up a mite contrite and cleared his throat.  “Nope.  Lawyer’s not back in business until after the weekend.”

“What do you mean ‘after the weekend’?  You’re kiddin’!”  Kid Curry’s eyes widened.  “We don't have more than $1.50 between us.”

“$1.73!” Heyes contradicted him.

The Kid addressed him with the look.  “Whatever.  It’s not enough to stake you in a game of poker or to keep us both for very long here.”

“Easy, Kid, easy,” Heyes soothed.  “It was a little unexpected, yeah, but I’ve already got a plan.  We’ll be more than fine 'til then.”

“How?  Did you know...?”

“No, of course not or we would have split up when your horse went lame.”

“So...?”

“An opportunity just opened up to make easy money – and quickly.”

“If somethin’ sounds too good to be true, it usually ain’t.”

“Aw, don’t you worry about it.  I’ll take that easy little job, making 100 bucks in fifteen minutes, and next time it’s your turn to do a one-man job.”

“Wait a minute, isn’t it my turn now?”  The Kid squinted with a glint of suspicion showing up in his eyes.

“Well, so make it two times.  I don’t mind.  If you don’t trust me....”

“’Course, I trust you – usually.  But this sounds a bit fishy to me.”

Heyes shrugged.  “Forget about it.  I said I’ll do it.”

“No, it’s my turn.”

“But I saw it first!”

“If you’re so keen on doin’ it yourself, it can’t be hard.  I know you.”

“Alright.  We make it fair and square and toss a coin.”

“Oh no!  I know your coins!”

Heyes rolled his eyes and offered the palm of his hand.  Kid Curry produced a quarter from his pocket and flipped it into his partner's hand.

“Whoever wins will take the job.  No complaining, no second chances, no taking it back.  Deal?”

The blond nodded.  “Deal.”

Heyes flipped the coin.  “Heads.”

“Tails.”

Heyes caught the coin and slowly opened his hand.  “I don’t know why we do this all the time.  I’ll win...”  His voice trailed off, his eyes widened in disbelief and a huge grin split Kid Curry’s face.

“Because against all odds, the luck is with me sometimes.”

“Best of three?”

“No, no way!  The job is mine.”

“Alright, alright.  It’s your job.  I won’t try and take it back again.”  Heyes lifted his hands in surrender and handed over the paper.  “Just sign it and give it to Charley.”  With his last words he indicated the man behind the bar.

Quickly his partner signed the form and passed it to the bartender.  “So, tell me what I’ve got to do.”

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_3_11

“Oh, almost nothing.  Just going over to the saloon Saturday night...”

Kid Curry nodded and smiled a little.

“...have a good time there....”

The Kid relaxed visibly.

“...after you've fought three rounds against the traveling show’s boxing champion.”  Heyes’ face was all innocence and smiles.

Disbelief wiped the smile off Kid Curry’s face.  “What!?

“He can’t be that good a fighter or he wouldn’t be traveling with a cheap show like that.”

The Kid didn't look comforted the least.  “What!?!”  Almost speechless, his vocabulary seemed to have shrunken down to one single word and he made the best use of it.

Heyes was still chattering at his best.  “C’mon Kid, you’re not bad a fighter.  You probably had more fistfights than he ever had.  And you’ve got the better incentive, the better instinct.  I mean you wouldn’t want him to hit you, right?”

WHAT!?!?!?

“Rumor has it he has a pretty bad punch, but you’re good at dodging, aren’t you?”

“Are you tryin' to tell me somethin’...?”

“No, no, of course not.”  Heyes was all amiable and smiles again.  “Only that you’re the best man for the job. You’ll do just fine!”  He reached out and gave Kid Curry’s hand a pat of encouragement.

The Kid addressed him with a dirty look and smacked his hand away.  “I won’t be fine!  I don’t need to fight!  What I need is a bed, a bath and a square meal!”

Heyes happily took the opportunity to change the subject.  “You need a bath!?  I need a bath after that last job you pushed me into.”

“I didn’t push you.  It was your turn to take on a one-man job, and you said you would do everything as long as you didn’t have to watch after dirty cattle anymore.”

“That was before I found out it meant shipping their droppings in this horrendous heat!  The smell still sticks to me like a stamp,” Heyes complained, wrinkling his nose.

Kid Curry made a show of sniffing the air.  “I’ve gotta give you that.  You’re right.  You need the bath much more than me, even more so if I’m supposed to share a room with you again.  But I could do with a good soakin’ for gettin’ the sweat and trail dust off me just as much.”

“You can’t always get want you want, Kid.  Make it two out of three and you’re well off since we’ve got to stretch our funds.  I’d say go for the creek outside of town.  It’ll do for a little sweat.  And I’ll get us a room at the hotel while you're gone.

-o-o-o-

SETTING:  The bathhouse in town is merely a tent with a row of rough tubs, separated by large sheets which provide a little privacy, at least from curious eyes if not ears.

Hannibal Heyes was sitting in a tub of semi-sudsless water vigorously rubbing and scrubbing.  There were no womenfolk to be seen and when he’s finished with his ablutions, he laid back, relaxed and unashamed, enjoying the hot water with a contented smile on his face.

-o-o-o-

SETTING:  A dusty road outside of town.  The sun beat down on a lone traveler.  In the distance, a copse of trees is situated beside a path.

The Kid limped towards the trees, sweating and grumbling.  As he got closer, scrub brush gave way to taller trees growing near the edge of a creek.  There he stopped and scanned the location.  The water flowed slowly toward a small pond, surrounded by lush bushes which provided some privacy.

A brief smile chased the shadows from Curry’s face.  Quickly he shed his vest, shirt, and trousers and dropped them to the ground.  After another look around, he stripped off his underwear, too.  A low hanging branch near the pond’s edge provided a convenient hook where he hung his gun belt, before he plunged into the shaded water.

A blink later he surfaced, with a smile on his face and sparkling drops covering his tanned skin, which accentuated nicely his well-shaped body.  Shaking his head and laughing, he splashed water all around before beginning to wash.

The crack of a twig startled the blond.  He stilled and listened.  Then, with a swift movement, he reached up and grabbed his gun.  Cautiously, he got out of the water and quickly tugged on his long johns.

Without making a sound, Kid Curry sneaked through the bushes along the creek, listening carefully, and following the sounds of movement which seemed to be drawing closer to him.

He stopped near a tree, then stuck his head out slowly, peeking around.  He froze.  His eyes widened in disbelief.  He drew back and leaned his shoulders against the tree; his eyes wandered to look off vacantly into the distance.

-o-o-o-

Back at the hotel, Heyes was laying on his bed with a book in his hand.  The door opened and Kid Curry entered the room silently.

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_4_11

“Hey, how are you?  Are you calmed down now?” Heyes greeted him in the best of moods.

But his partner passed him by without a single glance or word.  He went straight to the dresser, grabbed the whiskey bottle sitting there and shuffled over to the armchair by the window.  There he slumped down, put the bottle to his lips and took a deep drag.

Heyes watched him with growing concern on his expressive face.   “Kid?”

A pair of blue eyes fixed on Heyes with an accusing look of despair.  “You finally did it,” the blond muttered.

“Huh?”

“You finally did it,” Curry repeated dejectedly.  “You’ve done me in.  I’m a goner.”

“What the heck...?  What are you talking about?”

“About that job.  That fight.  Did you see this man?  Their champion?”

“Why, no.  They keep him out of sight, make him kind of a mystery, but....”

Curry nodded.  “I have.  I’m a goner,” he said gravely and took another drink.

Heyes crossed over to him, snatched the bottle, whipping it out of his partner's hand.  “Kid, what're you doing?  Stop that!  You’ll never make it if you get yourself drunk!”

“I'm never gonna make it anyway,” Curry pointed out, his temper rising.  “And if I don’t survive into next week, I can at least enjoy this one.”  He reached for the bottle again.

Heyes dodged him swiftly.  “Will you tell me what’s gotten into you?  What’s this talk about the man?  Maybe he’s a mean fighter.  You know this type; you fought this kind before.  You know their tricks.  You’ve got experience.  Ninety percent of a fight is a mental thing – motivation and determination.  You fought for your life in the past.  He’s only fighting for money.  How could he ever beat you?”

“Heyes, you’re still assumin’ he’s a man.  He ain’t!  You didn’t see him.”

“Of course, he is a man.”

“Oh, no, he ain’t!  God didn’t make this one from clay like the rest of us, but from bricks and mortar.  There’s nothin' soft about him.  Nothin' weak.  Only stone-hard knots underneath crude skin.  He’s like a rugged mountain.”

“C’mon, Kid.  You’re exaggerating...”  Heyes paused as he received the look.  “Well, yeah, maybe he looks that tough, but he’s only human after all,” Heyes replied, sounding less sure of himself.

“He ain’t!” Kid Curry retorted with the deepest conviction.  “He’s not human, I tell you!  He’s a daggone giant!  And if I fight him, he’ll do me in.  ‘Less I drop out.”

“You can’t drop out.”  Heyes turned serious.

“Why?”

“We can’t pay for board and lodging.  I made up a story, but we’ve got to pay Sunday morning.”

Curry moaned and covered his eyes with his left hand.

“C’mon, Kid, there’s always a way out.  You’ve got to believe!”

“I do believe!  I believe that I’m never gonna see a Sunday again, so why would I care?”

“I didn’t know you were so keen on Sunday services.”

“Guess I should’ve been, goin’ to meet my maker soon and all.”

“Would you stop talking like that!  You’re no quitter. You’re a fighter, so get into a fighting mood!”

“I told you before, he’s like a rugged mountain.  How can anyone fight a mountain?”

“That’s what dynamite was made for,” Heyes joked, perching on the arm rest of his partner’s chair.

The look the Kid threw at him was worse than anything Heyes had ever received, but he didn't step back.  Instead, he laid his arm around Kid Curry’s shoulder.  “Take a break, calm down.  I’ll go into town and see what kind of dynamite I can rustle up to bring your mountain down, alright?”  He stood, strapped on his gun belt and opened the door.  “And stay away from that bottle!”

-o-o-o-

Heyes descended the stairs to the lobby, a look of concern in his eyes blended with a small amount of guilt.  “A giant,” he muttered to himself, half mocking half concerned.  “You really trying to sell me a fairy tale, Kid?”

He left the hotel and took the same route Kid Curry had used only a short while ago.  When he reached the creek, he started looking out for tracks and followed them through the dry bushes.  Soon he arrived at a small campsite.  A colorful wagon announcing the world’s greatest fighter and a few tents were gathered around a fireplace.  It was silent and nobody was to be seen anywhere near.

Heyes took his time to observe the place, listening, but nothing disturbed the peaceful silence.  Keeping a steady eye on his surroundings, he sneaked over to the nearest tent where he ducked down.  Cautiously, he searched for weak spots in the fabric.  Soon he found a small hole.  Heyes hunkered down and peeked through the gap in the tent wall.

First, he noticed a pair of legs like thick, knotted trees.  His glance wandered up and up and up.  What he saw was a giant indeed!  Well, at least a very large man: a crude figure, almost seven feet tall, bald but with a coarse-haired body and bulging muscles.  His eyes were dark and shaded.  He gave more the impression of a beast than a man as he stood in the center of the tent, filling it with his sheer presence.

Heyes choked hard.  “Dang, the Kid was right.  That is a giant!”

The increasing sound of hoofbeats caught the attention of the huge man.  His head popped up.  A brief smile softened his hard features and sparked a light in his dark eyes.  He turned around and walked outside.

Suddenly the entire camp was filled with sounds and movement as the inhabitants gathered in its center, greeting a newcomer.

Quickly Heyes slipped inside the tent, tiptoed to the flap, and peeked out.  His facial expression was both curious and pensive at the same time.

A young woman leading a mule had just arrived.  Her animal was packed with cans and pots and a small keg.  Diligent hands unloaded the supplies and dished out a hot meal for about half-a-dozen men and two women, their ages ranging between twenty and forty.

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_6_11

While the small group was eating, the woman stood aside waiting.  She was small and slender, with big blue eyes, silken light-blonde hair and a fair complexion.  A disfiguring scar crossed her once-lovely face.  The bulging giant at her side seemed unaffected, though.  Shy glances wandered back and forth between them.  She tilted her head up and smiled at him.

Suddenly Blake jumped up from his seat, knocking over his plate, and yelled at her.  “I told you to stay away from him!”

“I did no wrong!”

“I don’t want you sneaking around here.  You bring the food; you leave.  That’s the deal.”  His voice was loud and angry, his eyes blazing.  With long strides he closed the gap between them.

“That’s what I did,” she said as she drew back, her eyes big and filled with fear.

“I saw you talking!”

“We didn’t talk!” she protested and retreated further until a tree trunk against her back stopped her.

The back of his hand slammed into her face, drawing blood in the corner of her mouth.  “Don’t lie to me, you little...”

“Nyet!  No!  Stop!”  The main attraction of the show grabbed the raised arm of his employer.  His voice was dark and rough like growling thunder and had a strong foreign accent.

Snakelike, the dark-haired man spun around and threw his full anger at the new target.

“You!  Get your hands off me, you stupid idiot!”

The giant released the arm and raised his open hands in a gesture of defeat.

“You’re as dumb as a brick!  Don’t you know what talking to her means?!  Huh?”

The huge man drew back, holding Blake’s full attention.

The young woman took the chance to slip away unnoticed.

“She can mean the end to you and me and your career!  Do you want to end up in a cage, locked away for the rest of your sorry life, huh?  Is that what you want?”

The big man seemed to shrink under the blazing fury of his employer.  Subdued, he shook his head.

“Ah, I see.  There’s still a bit of common sense left inside that useless head of yours.  Get your grub and get out of my sight.  I don’t want to see you again any time soon.  Stay in your tent until I come to get you.”

Heyes dropped the flap to beat a retreat.  Turning around, his eyes were caught by a tattered book lying on a trunk:

Boxing, a Manual Devoted to the Art of Self-Defence

A Perfect Treatise on Boxing, with Valuable Illustrations Showing Just What Positions to Take When Going to Lead and Also in Relation to Defence

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_5_11

He snatched it, stuffed it under his shirt and slipped out of the tent under the tarp just as the legitimate inhabitant returned.  Outside, the former outlaw leader held his breath, listening.  Since no one had seen him, he went back though the bushes, quickly and quietly.

Out of earshot he, increased his pace, circled back and arrived just in time at the edge of the copse as the young woman was leaving it, too.  She started her way back, but Heyes raised his hands and beamed one of his most brilliant smiles at her.  “Hey, Tasha.”

The woman froze and stared at him disbelievingly.  “Heyes?” she whispered.  “Is that really you?”

“Yes, of course, it’s me.  What else would I be?  A ghost?”

She smiled, too, dropped the lead rope and threw herself into his arms.  “Yes, maybe.  I haven’t heard about you in a long time.  Some say you’re out of the business, others claim you’re dead.”

“Rumors about my passing are greatly exaggerated,” Heyes replied with a wink and kissed her cheek.  Then he gently lifted her chin with his fingertips and examined the bruise building on her face.  “How are you?  Still getting into trouble, I see?”

She drew back and lowered her head.  “That’s easy enough for a woman on her own in these parts.  Not everyone’s as decent as you and the Kid.  But what are you doing here?”

“Oh, this and that, you know.  Odd jobs.  Keeping a low profile.  Right now, we’re passing time waiting to get paid for a job and trying to make some money in the meanwhile.  The Kid will challenge this boxing champion they’re hiding back there.”  His thumb pointed vaguely toward the unseen camp.

“So, you already found him?” Her eyes grew wide in surprise.

“It wasn’t much of a challenge,” Heyes stated, beaming with pride and false modesty.

“I bet.”  Tasha smiled briefly.  “But the Kid has to withdraw.  I don’t want him to get hurt.  I’ll never forget what he did for me back on that day.”  Involuntarily, her hand touched the scar crossing her face.  “That guy would have beaten me to death without him standing up for me.”

“Yeah, he’s a good at protecting folks.  Always was, always will be.” Heyes’ voice was warm with affection.  “But don’t be scared.  The Kid will make it.  You know, he’s not a bad fighter.”

“Don’t be so sure!  Maxim is really great; strong and skilled.  A true champion,” she spoke proudly, and her eyes started to sparkle.

“Max...?”

“Maxim – that’s his name, his real name.  They only call him ‘Ivan’ for the show.  He wouldn’t harm a fly, but sometimes his incredible strength is just too much to be controlled.”

“You know a lot about the man.”

She blushed.  “Well, maybe.  I see him every day.  He’s nice; gentle and kind.”

“That’s not the description I expect for a man who beats up other guys to make a living.”

“He wouldn’t do that, if it wasn’t for that ugly man!  On the outside Blake is handsome and charming, but inside he’s d'yavol – a devil.  Maxim would leave him anytime, if he had the liberty to go.”

“What could make a man like him stay against his will?”

“Blake knows a secret about him, about one of his fights, and holds it against him.  And he doesn't speak American.  He would be lost without someone looking after him.”

“So, if he can’t speak our language, how would you know about all this?”

“Because I understand him,” Tasha answered, smiling briefly.  “My father was Russian, too, and taught me his language.  We often used it at home, before King Cholera came to get him.”

“Is that what brought you trouble?”  Heyes indicated her injured cheek with a tilt of his chin.

Tasha nodded.  “Blake doesn't want us to talk to each other.  Doesn't want anyone to come near him.”  She lowered her head.

“Because you could learn about their secret...?”

Tasha nodded again.

“But you already know,” Heyes said softly.

Tasha kept silent, but a slow blink of her eyes told Heyes everything he needed to know.

“Would you tell me?”

She shook her head, took the mule’s leading rope again and turned around, resuming her way back to town.

Heyes fell into step beside her.  “I wouldn’t push it, if I couldn't see your concern about the Kid.  You said you wouldn’t want to see him hurt.  Well, after the last prank he played on me, I wouldn't mind him getting roughed up a bit, but I'd never take the risk of him getting seriously hurt – not for any reason or any amount of money.  If there’s anything he should know – we should know – tell it to me.  For the Kid’s sake.”

The color drained from her face, but she didn't respond.

“Tasha, you know you can trust me.  Whatever you know about him can’t be worse than what you already know about us.  We trust each other, don’t we?  You've held our lives in your hand for a long time now.  Do you think we would throw it all away?”

The young woman shook her head.  “Tell the Kid... please, tell him not to fight.  By no means.  Maxim is a good man, but...” she drew in a deep breath.  “In Sharpsburg, a man who fought him ended up dead.”  She turned her head, facing Heyes with tears gathering in the corner of her eyes.  “You wouldn’t want him to take that risk, would you?”

“No, of course not!” Heyes answered, deadly serious now, too.  “Do you know what happened?”

“No.  Maxim doesn’t know either.  All the challengers left the place on their own, some of them with help of friends, of course.  But the next day Blake came to him, telling him they had to leave in a hurry.  There were rumors about a man found dead in the morning.  Our local doctor told me there are things like internal injuries; men bleeding to death hours after a beating.  It must have been him.  It was too much a coincidence he died shortly after a fight.”

Heyes pushed his hat back on his head.  “You’re right.  It’s strange timing.  There has to be a connection.”

Very silent and deep in thought, they continued their way back to town.

As they reached the first houses, Heyes stopped.  “Thank you for your time, Tasha, and your trust.  I’ve got to leave you now, but how about meeting us for supper at the hotel?  The Kid will love both: seeing you and getting a decent meal.  When we meet again you should know that we’re staying under aliases here.  He’s Thaddeus Jones and my name’s Joshua Smith.”

“Smith and Jones?” the blonde laughed.

“I know,” Heyes said with a grimace.  “It’s a long story.”

“Alright, Mr. Smith...”

“Joshua for you, Tasha.”  Heyes offered a smile, and tipped his hat as they parted ways.  “See you for supper then.”

Unable to face the Kid right then, Heyes entered the saloon, found a deserted table and sat down.  He pulled out the book from under his shirt and started to read.  After a while, he looked up, his gaze wandering off into the distance.  Slowly a smile formed on his face.

-o-o-o-

SETTING:  The sun was hanging low in the sky, casting long shadows through the windows of the hotel’s dining room.  Heyes, Curry and Tasha occupy a table in a corner which grants them some privacy and a clear view of the entrance.  A stout waitress is just leaving the table laden with bowls of stew, biscuits and coffee.

The blond tucked into the food while his partner merely played with it, focused on talking.

“We have to find his weak point,” he claimed.  “Nobody’s perfect and, in my experience, that goes for a fighter, too.  If only we could observe him and learn his tactics, but there’s not enough time.”

Concerned, Tasha objected, “He can’t afford to lose!  If he loses, Blake will drop him like a hot potato, and he’ll be lost.  He’ll end up dead sooner or later as a victim or a scapegoat meant to hang for somebody else's crime.  Or Blake could turn him in to the law for what he has done.”

Heyes pursed his lips and nodded.  “You know, I think we need more information.  We need to know what happened back in Sharpsville.  And we need to know his weak point.  Maybe we can find a way out for both the Kid and Maxim.  Do you think you could talk to Ivan – Maxim – again?  Find out how to beat him?”

“Can I tell him why?”

“No!  We don’t know if we can trust him or how good an actor he is.  He could betray our plan by accident.”

“I don’t like lying to him.”

“You don’t need to lie.  Just tell him you’re scared someone will beat him.  There’s a stranger in town with some sort of reputation.”  He threw a look at his partner.

“Who?” the Kid asked.

Heyes’ look intensifies as does his smile.

“Me?”  Kid Curry pointed his thumb towards his chest.

Heyes nodded.  “It’s not even a lie.  Thaddeus may not have a reputation, but Kid Curry does for sure.”

Tasha smiled again.  “If you put it that way, you're right.  I think I can do this.  But I don’t dare risk talking to him again.  Blake will rip me to pieces if he catches me.”

“The Kid will be with you and distract him.”

“Oh, I will?” Kid Curry lifted his brows.

“Of course.  You wouldn’t want her to go alone and get hurt, would you?”

“’Course not.”

“See, everything’s settled.”

“And how do you think I’ll get their attention?” the blond asked.

“You’re going to apply for a job.”

The Kid’s jaw dropped.  “I’ll do what...?”

Last edited by royannahuggins on Sat 20 Mar 2021, 2:08 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker
Post Sat 20 Mar 2021, 1:45 am by royannahuggins
-o-o-o-

SETTING:  Night is falling when Kid Curry reaches the camp outside of town.  Tasha is already there picking up the remainders of the latest meal.

“Evenin’ gents,” the blond man greeted them and tipped his hat.

Blake was up in a blink, ordering the boxer away with a harsh gesture.

The Kid followed the huge man with his eyes, but then focused on Blake with a winning smile.  “That’s quite an attraction you’ve got there, mister.”

“Yeah, I know.  And people usually pay to see it,” Blake snarled.  “What brings you here?”

“Business.”

“What kind of business?” the manager asked, his eyes dropping to the tied-down gun.

“Not that kind of business,” the Kid replied.  “Well, depends.  I thought you might have use for a man like me.”

“What makes you think that?”

“I’m pretty tired of livin’ in this place, slavin’ for little money.  You’re wanderin’ all throughout the West showin’ off folks with talents.”

“So, you think you’ve got a talent?”

Kid Curry smiled, nodded, and patted his colt.

“Really?”  Blake lifted his chin.  “Everyone’s carrying in these parts.  You any good with that gun of yours?”

“Good enough.”  The blond man stood tall and relaxed, radiating self-confidence.

“Good enough people would pay to see you?”

The Kid nodded.

“Why?”

“I can shoot two bullets.”

“Prove it!”

All the folks present got on their feet, curiously awaiting the imminent spectacle.  Unnoticed, Tasha slipped into the tent where the boxer had disappeared not long ago.

Kid Curry picked a spare bullet from his gun belt and drew his colt, nice and slow.  In a sudden movement, he tossed the cartridge in the air, swiftly followed by a shot of his gun.  He hit his aim and the bullet exploded, drawing appreciative murmurs from his audience.

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_7_10

“Can you do that again?” Blake asked.

“I can do that all night long,” the gunman answered self-confidently and repeated the act.

Several shots later, Blake nodded.  “Well, you’re good, I’ll give you that.  But that’s not enough to make a show of it.  What else can you do?”

“I always hit my aim.  Point out whatever you want, and I’ll hit it.”

“Like what?”

“Like targets.  Like a bottle in somebody’s hand.  Like shooting the heart out of the ace.”

“I see, I see,” the manager murmured thoughtfully.  “You can really do that?”

“Of course.  You set the distance and pick the target.”

An expectant smile appeared on Kevin Blake’s face.  “Billy, get me a deck of cards.  Let’s see what the young man has on offer.”

The performance continued with Kid Curry showing off his skillful gun handling, regarding accuracy, that is.  He was never overly fast, but took his time taking aim.  Yet his marksmanship was impressive as the applause of his audience proved.  When the negotiations about a contract started, Tasha and her mule left without drawing any attention.

-o-o-o-

SETTING:  THE SALOON, LATER THAT EVENING
It’s a rather lively place with music and card games.  Heyes and Curry are sitting at a table in a corner, nursing beer mugs.  Nobody pays attention if one of the waitresses stays a bit longer than usual at their table, even less since her physical appearance doesn’t make her the most popular girl in the place.

“Did you get to talk to him?” the dark-haired ex-outlaw asked Tasha at one of her visits.

“Yes, of course.  The Kid did a fine job with showing off his skills.”

“Yeah, he’s great at that.”

Kid Curry turned his head and stared at him silently.

“Gunplay that is,” Heyes added, smiling.  “What did Max say?”

“He didn’t seem too concerned.  He never loses a fight.” Tasha paused, but didn't look too concerned either.

“But...?” Heyes inquired.

“He told me about his weakness, his steklyannyy podborodok.”

Kid Curry, about to take a drag from his beer, nearly spit it across the table, while Heyes expression never changed.  “His, what?”

“His glass chin.”

“His glass chin?  What in tarnation is a glass chin?” the Kid asked.  “And how would it help us?”

Heyes was already smiling again.  “Ah, I see.  I read about it in the book.  He may be a fierce fighter, but one punch on his chin can floor him.”

“One punch?” his partner wanted to know.

Heyes nodded.  “Yup.”

“On his chin?”

Heyes nodded again.  “That’s right.”

“How am I supposed to place it?”

“The book will help us to find out.  It’s all in there.  All you’ll need is practice.”  He pulled the book out from under his jacket and laid it on the table.

“Practice?”

“Yes, of course.  Practice makes perfect.  I’ll be your trainer, teaching you how to do it right and giving you all the advice you need to brave the giant.”

“Oh, alright.  And who teaches you?”

“This here book!  It’s a well of wisdom.”  Heyes smiled with unshakable self-confidence and patted the tattered cover.

“I’m not sure if I’m gonna like that,” answered the Kid, sounding skeptical.

“Of course, you will!  Everything will turn out just fine now that I have a plan!”

The Kid didn't look convinced at all.

Neither did Tasha.  “But what will happen to Maxim after the fight?”  Her worry could be heard in her voice.

Heyes pushed his hat back and forth.  “I’m working on a plan already.  Do you think he would be willing to settle down and work the land?  Some out-of-the-way place where nobody’s gonna ask questions about his past?”

“Oh, I’m sure he would.  He’s a peaceable man, not cut out for this dirty business.”  A little blush flushed her face and put a shimmer of excitement into her eyes.

“Ah. I see.”  A twinkle lit up Heyes’ eyes.  “I think that’s something we can work with.  I’ve got to check a few options first, but I guess I already have an answer.”

-o-o-o-

The sun barely lurked over the horizon when Heyes woke his partner.  A gentle touch on his shoulder was all it needed to get the gunman started.  Still half asleep, the Kid reached for his gun, but only struck Heyes’ hand covering it.

“Hold it, Kid, it’s just me.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Wonderful,” Kid Curry murmured and turned around to resume his sleep.

“Hey, no time to sleep anymore.  You’ve got to get going.”

“Huh?” came the answer muffled through the pillow.  “Is it time for breakfast yet?”

“Nope.  Breakfast has to wait.  You’ve gotta do some practice first.”

Before breakfast?  You must be kiddin’, Heyes.”

The dimpled-one smiled and snagged away the blanket.  “I’m not.  We’ve got no time to waste and that means getting up bright and early.  You’re going to run three times around town and then we’ll have breakfast.”

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_8_10

“Why would I do a fool thing like that?”

“’Cause it’s good for your stamina and it‘ll improve your strength.”

The blond moaned and rolled on his back in defeat.

-o-o-o-

While Kid Curry started his endurance run, Heyes walked down the street to the local newspaper.

The editor was up early, too, heaving heavy boxes from a wagon.  He was in his fifties, skinny, with receding brown hair.

Heyes tipped his hat in greeting.  “Howdy.”

The other man paused, took off his glasses and wiped the sweat off his face with his sleeve.  “Howdy.”

“You need a hand?”

“Yeah, I could use some help, but I can’t pay.”

“Maybe you could answer me a few questions instead.”

“Deal!”  The editor proffered his hand.  “Barnaby Goodfellow.”

“Joshua Smith.”

Goodfellow lifted his brow.

The dark-haired ex-outlaw answered with a shrug and winning smile, which was returned by the editor.

-o-o-o-

While both men unloaded the wagon in silence, the Kid was still running his rounds, covered in dust and sweat.  The distance made it impossible to understand what he was muttering, but the look on his face was not one of amusement.

-o-o-o-

When the last box was stowed, Heyes and Goodfellow patted off the dust from their sleeves and wiped their hands on their pants.

“Thanks, Joshua.  What can I do for you?”

“Help me get some information,” Heyes replied.  “I heard about an incident that happened in Sharpsburg.  A man found dead after a fist-fight.”

“Ah, I remember that.  It was a while back.  The murderer has never been caught.”

“So, it was actually murder, not an accident or man-slaughter?”

“Not as I recall it.  But let’s have a look at my archive.  We’ll do way better sitting with a cup of coffee and reading than standing on the dusty street speculating.”

Smiling, Heyes took off his hat and followed him inside.  “You’re right.  And probably the best way to start a day, too.”

-o-o-o-

As planned, the partners met up at the hotel’s dining room.  Soon, an obliging waitress joined them, throwing appreciative glances at the blond part of the outfit.

“I’ll have coffee and cinnamon rolls,” Heyes ordered.

The waitress turned to the Kid.  “And you, mister?” she asked with a smile as sweet as honey.

The blond smiled back and opened his mouth, but his partner was faster.  “He only wants scrambled eggs and coffee.”

“Hey, no, that’s not–”

“It is.  Trust me.”

“Are you sure?” the waitress asked.

“No!” the Kid objected in horror.

“Yes!” Heyes insisted with a smile and a nod to the waiting woman.

The waitress looked from one man to the other somewhat bewildered before she headed towards the kitchen.

“Heyes, what're you doin’?” Kid Curry hissed.

“Getting you in fighting condition.”

“Gettin’ me starved is more like it!  How am I supposed to fight on an empty stomach?”

“Better, fiercer.  Nothing to slow you down while dodging.”

“Nothin’ to stop me from floorin’ myself from exhaustion!”

“Don’t get started.  You’ve got quite a reserve here, Thaddeus,” Heyes said and poked his finger into his partner’s side, “and we’ve got to get rid of it, and quick.”

“So, you have me runnin’ around town before breakfast, only there's hardly a breakfast at all?”

“If you want to put it that way...”

“And it’s all in that dang book of yours?”

“Yep.  So, you better get used to it.”

Groaning, Kid Curry leaned back in his chair.  “Now I’m sure I’ll never make it into next week.  Either this fight will finish me off or my partner will.”

-o-o-o-

The day flashed by in a succession of flickering, soundless scenes:

Kid Curry running, the rising sun at his back – Hannibal Heyes, on horseback, in front of him, setting the pace.

A few bites of salad shoveled quickly into Curry’s mouth – A leisurely cup of coffee for Heyes.

Push-ups for the Kid – Heyes overseeing from behind a newspaper.

A gulp of water into Curry’s mouth – A bucket dumped over him, by his partner.

Stones were tossed by the trainer – dodged by the fighter.

Images of noiseless orders, barked by Heyes – Calisthenics repeated by Curry.  Again.  And Again.  And Again.

The glimpses of training flew faster, and faster.  Silent instructions were hollered with increasing intensity.

Eventually, the pictures slowed down again.  The sinking sun cast long shadows over the yard behind the livery stable.  Bales of hay were arranged in a square, resembling an improvised boxing ring, with Heyes sitting comfortably on their edge.

In the center of the ring stood Kid Curry shadow boxing, bathed in sweat and looking exhausted.  Whenever his eyes met Heyes, they narrowed and his lips twitched into a snarl.

Heyes, ignoring his partner’s state, threw instructions at him:

“Not like that!”

“You got to bob and weave.”

“Jab, jab, jab, then the uppercut.”

“No!  Again.”

“Slip and roll!”

The change of scenes stopped, and so did Kid Curry, his chest heaving, growling as best he could.  “How am I supposed to fight without someone to fight, and dodge blows never thrown at me?”

“Just use your imagination!”

“Imagination, yeah,” the Kid snorted.  “If you’re so good at fightin’…”  Kid Curry paused and panted a few more breaths.  “Then how come I’m the one... doin’ it!”

“I guess I’ve got show you how it’s done,” Heyes declared, a self-assured grin on his face.  He lifted his fists, squaring off against his partner and started moving, ducking and jumping back and forth briskly.  “You see.  Always keep moving, never slow down.  You need to be alert – and faster.  You know what fast means, don’t you?”

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_9_10

Curry’s anger increased by the second, and a dangerous glint appeared in the corner of his sky-blue eyes.

Heyes, in fighting pose but also in sweet oblivion of the growing threat, is lecturing about the importance of timing as Kid Curry hauled his arm back and...

A split second later, Heyes' world blacked out.

-o-o-o-

In the evening, Kid Curry is tuckered out.  Exhausted, he laid on the bed, trying to find a comfortable position.

“That was a fine day,” Heyes exclaimed while he poured water into the basin.

“Yeah, sure.  For you.”  The Kid raised his head.  When his partner turned around, he started smiling, thoroughly studying the shiner Heyes was sporting.  “Well, now, I’ve gotta admit, the day had its moments.”

Heyes made a face as he wet a cloth and put it on his swollen eye.  “It’s all for a higher goal.  It takes some effort and some sacrifices, but in the end it will pay.  That punch wasn’t bad at all.  You just gotta learn how to hit the right place.”

“I’m lookin’ forward to more target practice tomorrow,” Curry replied with a mischievous grin.

“Yeah, I bet.  I’ve got to think of another target for you.  A heavy bag or something.”

“Oh no, Heyes, we’re short on time.  I really need to practice with a livin’ target – a true partner.”  The blond’s smile widened.

“Great.  I’m not sure how I could have missed that point.”

“And it’s not the only point you missed.”

“What else do you think I missed?”

“What if someone recognizes me?”

“Why would someone recognize you?”

“’Cause of all the trains and banks we robbed?  Someone braggin’ and callin' out our names?  You remember?” Kid Curry’s voice was thick with sarcasm.

Heyes looked somewhat contrite.  “Oh, yeah.  I guess, that was not one of your best ideas...”

My...?”

Heyes ignored his partner and continued.  “But we checked out the town when we arrived.”

“There’s no way to check out the folks comin' to town to see the show.”

“For once you’re right.”  A thoughtful expression appeared on Heyes’ face, before it lit up again.  “Well, that one’s easy – you’ll fight masked.  And you’ll get a stage name.”

“A stage name?!”

“Yeah, yeah,” Heyes' excitement grew as he dug deeper into the matter.  “You’re the Masked Mystery or something; a known fighter who has to stay anonymous, so his opponent won't hightail it.”

“I can’t believe it.  You found a name worse than Smith or Jones.  And where would I get a mask anyway?”

“I’m sure Tasha will help us out.”

“You’re crazy, Heyes, you know that?”  Kid Curry moaned and buried his head under the pillow.

“No, I’m not.  It’s perfect.  It’s a Hannibal Heyes plan, after all.”

“That’s what scares me most,” sounded the muffled reply from under the bedding.

-o-o-o-

The next morning, while the Kid did his run around town, Heyes intercepted Tasha on her way back from the campsite.  The dark-haired man tipped his hat with a smile and fell into step beside her.

“The Kid figured out a little problem.  He’s afraid someone will recognize him and you know we can’t draw attention to ourselves.  I was thinking along the line of some sort of disguise for him, some kinda costume.”

Tasha turned her head, facing her friend.  “What kind of costume?”

“I don’t know.  He’ll need pants and a mask at least.  They usually don’t wear that much for a fight, as far as I know.  You know more than us about this kinda stuff.  Can you help us, Tasha?”

“Well, I’ve seen Maxim's garments, and I guess I could put something together.  I’ve got some of my old dresses still.  I could rip them up and patch something up for him.  Though, I’m not quite sure if he’ll like wearing red and black satin.”

“Oh, don’t worry.  He’s not picky....”

But in the evening when Tasha came over with the new outfit, Curry left no doubt as to his thoughts.

“I am not going to wear that!” he stated with utter conviction after a short glance at Tasha’s needlework.

“Of course, you are!” Heyes insisted.

“Satin?!”

“I bet it suits you.”

“Only over my dead body!”

“You can have that if someone recognizes you!”

“I’m not goin’ anywhere!”  Curry folded his arms across his chest and glared at his partner.

“You are.  And you’ll wear the costume Tasha made!  You wouldn’t turn down all the work she put into it in so short a time, would you?”

“I’d rather wear her dresses than that!”

“Now, that would draw attention for sure.  And I doubt it would help your mobility.  You want to play sitting duck for ‘Ivan, the Ironman’?”  Heyes picked up the unwanted garment and threw it at his partner.  “So, quit being so mulish!  Slip into your costume and I’ll give you some good news.”

“You know what, Heyes?  You sure are proddy sometimes!”  Still grumbling, the blond disappeared behind a folding screen as Heyes continued.

“I offered Charley a little tip for the up-coming fight, under his promise of secrecy, of course.  I told him he should stake on you, because of your legendary skill and reputation, being nothing short of a sure bet.  I only asked for a little favor so as not to scare away other bettors: I asked him to change the name on your registration to ‘Kid Courageous’.”

Kid Cour – are you crazy?  That’s ridiculous!”

“It’s ingenious!  Nobody will make a connection to your true identity.”

“Not if I wear somethin’ like this.”  Kid Curry reappeared, clad in tight-fitting pants and a mask made from strips of crimson-red and black satin.  The outfit didn’t leave much room for imagination about the blond’s muscular physique.  He pursed his full lips, and his tousled golden curls graced his face like a glorious halo.  The Kid gestured with his hand down his lower body in disgust.  “I feel like I'm nekkid – runnin' 'round in my underwear.  It’s ridiculous!”

“It’s gorgeous!”  Tasha breathed with a dreamy look on her face.

“It’s perfect!”  Hannibal Heyes glanced at her and then beamed at his partner.  “The perfect disguise!  I can assure you, your face is the last thing anyone will pay attention to, Kid.”

-o-o-o-

SEVERAL DAYS LATER...

SETTING:  The night of the fight has finally arrived.  A makeshift ring is set up on the town-square, surrounded by half a dozen booths where local vendors offer food and refreshments.  A band is playing, and the audience is entertained by other attractions of the show before the main event starts.  A young woman with two poodles leaves the stage and makes room for a scarred man juggling with burning torches.

A barrel serves as the bookmaking booth and a crowd of locals surround it as they place their wagers.  A slate announces the odds with the defending champion the clear favorite.

A half a dozen challengers for the boxing champion and their supporters gathered near the ring.  Some of them with self-confident attitude while others seemed rather pale and nervous.

“Bring on this champion!”
“I think I’m gonna be sick; I never should have signed up.”
“Are you sure you wanna go through with this?”
“How tough can this champion be?”
“What was I thinking?”

The boisterous crowd became quiet with just murmuring as the current champion arrived.  ‘Ivan the Ironman’ was at least one head taller than anyone else present.  Resolute, he seemed oblivious of everything, and everyone, around him as he pushed his way through the masses and entered the ring.  His solid body moved in a plate tectonic way – slow but deter-mined and just as unstoppable.

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_1011

A man with a booming voice stood near the ring.  “The fight is about to begin – gather around!  Joe, a ranch hand, is the first contestant.”

Ding… Ding!

The two men came out from the corners and danced around.  Ivan jabbed him and the ranch hand tried a left hook.  The Ironman ducked and aimed for the head.  Joe was down.

“One, two, three…”

Ding… Ding!

“Next, we have Ivan the Ironman versus the barber.  To your corners and come out when you hear the bell.”

Ding... Ding!

Moments later, the announcer called out, “Can we have a doctor?”

Several fights lasted just a minute with the doctor summoned afterwards.

“Next contestant is Hank, the town’s blacksmith.”

Excited murmurs went through the crowd as the muscular local entered the ring.

“Show him how it’s done, Hank!”
       “Knock ‘em out.”

He waved to the audience, smiling, before he occupied the corner opposite the titleholder.

Ding… Ding!

The two men came out from the corners and circled each other.  Hank ducked at a jab from Ivan and swung, hitting the giant in the gut.  It didn’t faze the Ironman, who hit the blacksmith in the shoulder.  Hank swayed but remained standing until he took a right hook in the face.

“One, two, three…”

Ding… Ding!

By now only one challenger was left, his figure covered with a large blanket, revealing the shimmer of red and black satin with every move.

“It’s your turn, Kid,” Heyes announced bright-eyed and with a full dimpled smile.

His partner’s complexion was slightly paler than usual, but he stood like a rock.  “You really expect me to go in there?”

“I do!  Everything’s set up.”

“You know, I care more about my hide than your plans!”

“So much for a higher goal.  I should have known about your priorities.”

“Sure!  What do I need money for if I end up on the ground as a bloody mess like all those other guys?”

“You won’t end up on the ground as long as you stick to our plan!” Heyes hissed and yanked the blanket away, revealing Kid Curry’s ‘costume’.  A chorus of sighs escaped the female part of the audience.  His opponent stayed unimpressed, though.  His face looked like it was carved in stone, not revealing any of the giant's thoughts or feelings.

“Come on, Kid.  Now or never!”  With a hearty shove, Heyes pushed his partner into the ring.

The blond turned his head one last time.  “Would you accept me choosin’ never?”

“No!  And now get going.  Make me proud of you!”

“The next contestant is… Kid Courageous!  He’d have to be courageous to wear that cos-tume.”

The crowd laughed.

“Wait for the bell and come out fighting.”

Ding…Ding!

Curry was able to block two hard punches and took a glancing blow to his head, drawing shocked cries from the women present.  He danced around the ring and dodged the blows coming from Ivan.  He wasn’t as strong as the Ironman but made up for the lack of strength and range with dexterity, speed and stamina.  Soon Kid Curry was bathed in sweat, while he still tried in vain to place the crucial punch.

Ding…Ding…  “Round one!  To your corner until you hear the bell again.”

“What's holding you back, Kid?” Heyes welcomed him.  “You don’t have all the time in the world!  You’re in good shape, but he ain’t bad either.”

The Kid flushed out his mouth with water.  “What's holdin’ me back?  Did you watch?”

“You just need to deliver one little blow to the right point!  When he goes for his fast left-right-combination next time, duck and charge!”

“Sounds easy enough.  Maybe you should go try it yourself.”

“Funny, Kid, very funny.”

Ding… Ding…  “Round two!”

Heyes patted his partner’s shoulder.  “Go on, just stick to the plan.  And watch out for his left hook!”

Kid Courageous and Ivan were more alert this round.  The opponents checked out each oth-er’s defense with quick attacks, but neither of them could place a direct hit.  Just before the second round was over, the boxing champion cornered the masked nuisance.  A hail of quick punches rained down on the Kid.  He dropped to his knees with his head hanging down and blood dripping on the wooden floor.

“One, two…”

“Get up, Kid!” Heyes cried out, cheering his partner to rise, as were some of the other spec-tators.

With his last ounce of strength, the blond man got back on his feet, swaying visibly.

Ding…Ding…  Just in time, the bell ended the unnerving spectacle.

Back in Curry’s corner Heyes hovered around his partner like a mother hen, cleaning his face gently with a wet cloth while scolding him.  “You’ve got to be more alert.  There were at least three openings you missed!”

“Fine.  Maybe you jus' point 'em out for me next time,” Kid Curry mumbled around his split lip.

“I did, but you wouldn’t listen!”

“Well, I was a mite preoccupied, you know!”

Ding…Ding!  “Third and final round!”

Kid Courageous and Ivan the Ironman slowed the pace down a bit.  The opponents circled around each other, watching and waiting for an opening, charging forward now and again.  Only a few blows were thrown.  It was like watching a fight between a grizzly and a mountain lion.  Neither of them could gain the upper hand.

Heyes turned away from the fight and exchanged a few low words with Tasha, who was standing nearby.  The blonde nodded and slipped away, soon disappearing within the crowd.

The ambiance of the audience was tense, some rooting for the champion, others cheering for the masked challenger.  One girl at the left side of the improvised ring – Tasha – was particu-larly excited.  She tried to get closer to the ropes.  When someone shoved her out of the way, she cried out her protest.  For a blink, the Ironman lost his focus as his eyes fixed on her.  That was all Kid Courageous needed.  As fast as lightning, he delivered a straight hard blow with his right to the tall man’s chin.

Time seemed to stretch.  The giant’s eyes glazed over; his arms trembled before they sank down.  The crowd became silent.  The tall body swayed noticeably for two heartbeats, then crashed down like a felled pine.

The audience started hollering and cheering and broke into tremendous applause.  The Kid panned the crowd with a sheepish look on his face, mustering up his remaining strength to stay on his feet.

“And the winner of the championship is… Kid Courageous?” the surprised announcer de-clared.

When the Kid’s knees threatened to fail him, his partner appeared at his side, slung his arm around his waist and kept him upright.  “See how easy it was to crash a mountain?” Heyes stated.  “You could have been faster, though.  Would have spared you one or two bruises.”  The smile on his face and genuine affection in his voice belied his flippant words.

Folks offered their congratulations:
“I can’t believe he won!”
“Congratulations, young man!”
“Did you see that hit to the chin?”

A couple of young women stood a short distance away with admiration in their eyes for the mysterious young champion.  Encouraging words and giggles crossed back and forth be-tween them as they tried to muster enough courage to approach him.

“Oh Annie, it’s just like David beating Goliath!”
“I know Ruth.  Kid Courageous is so…courageous!”

Beside the fallen giant, Blake knelt, slapping Ivan's face with more force than necessary.  Then he beckoned to some of his men and handed out orders in a low voice, “Get him outta here!”

Quickly the boxer was dragged away, the floor cleared, and the band started to play a lively polka.  The mayor and his wife led the dance, inviting the audience to join in and celebrate.

-o-o-o-

Behind the row of booths, Ivan regained consciousness, aided by the rough treatment of his employer.  Encouraged by several kicks in his side and a bucket of cold water, his eyes popped open.

“I can’t believe it!  You let me down!  The unbeatable champion got himself knocked out by a hillbilly without even a name!”

The large man blinked several times as he struggled to his feet under the hail of more harsh words.

“You’re as useful as a hole in the head!” Blake continued.  “I don’t know why I feed you!”

Ivan shook his head slowly and replied with a string of words in a foreign language.

“I don’t want to hear it!  There’s no excuse!  Do you think I would ever trust you again?”

A brief cough interrupted Kevin Blake.  Indignantly, he spun around.  “What?”  He faced Kid Curry and Hannibal Heyes.  “Who are you?”

“I’m Joshua Smith and my friend here is Thaddeus Jones, also known as Kid Courageous.”

Blake laughed snidely.  “Alright.  What do you want?”

“There’s the little matter of the prize.  I guess, there’s no question who won this last fight,” Heyes replied, a forced, polite smile on his face.

“You can keep your certificate, though,” added Kid Curry.  “Guess the whole county will know by dawn, anyway.”

Blake's complexion changed from angry-red to sick-green.  “Yeah, I reckon you’re right.  And the entire state will know within a week.”  He produced a wad of cash, counted out $100, then recounted it twice before he handed it over to the Kid.  “Here you go.  I’m not going to ask how you managed it.  Congratulations.  And now, get going.”

Kid Curry accepted the money while Heyes nodded and smiled.  “Thank you.  It was a pleasure doing business with you.”

Blake grunted and turned to his former champion again.  “See what you cost me?  There’s no way you can make it up to me.  I can’t afford to keep you any longer.  They all know how to best you now.  I want you to get your stuff and get going.”

Again, Ivan answered with unintelligible words and shook his head, his eyes big and dark.

“Why would I care, huh?  Get going, or I’ll find you a nice place in jail.”  A mean twinkle appeared in his eyes.  “Maybe there’s even a reward on you.  Wouldn’t that be a fine way to get even?”

Heyes and Curry exchanged a quick glance.  Simultaneously, they moved between Max and his ex-employer from either side.  “I doubt that would be a good idea,” Heyes said, still polite, but his smile didn’t reach his eyes anymore.

“And why would that be any of your business?” Blake snarled

“Good question.  Maybe we’re interested in a reward, too.  Maybe we know what really happened in Sharpsburg.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”  The look on Blake's face grew darker.  He squinted his eyes and his voice gained a cold edge.

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker Pic_1111

In a blink Heyes’ attitude as an outlaw leader appeared.  “About a man found dead in the street after one of your boxing championships.  Single shot in the back, short distance, small caliber,” he snapped, his voice stern, preventing any argument; a voice known and feared by hardened criminals.  “There’s a description of a suspect which fits you rather well.  You wouldn’t happen to have a Derringer in that vest-pocket of yours, would you?”

“That’s none of your business!  And you got no proof anyway.”

“We’ve got an article that makes you look suspicious enough for further investigations.  And who knows who will start talking, once you’re locked-up?”  With eyes as dark as the night, Heyes' expression radiated a menacing threat now.

“What do you want?”

“I suggest you just drop the matter like you dropped your champion.  Leave him be and get on your way.  Nobody will ask questions when you’re gone by the first light of day.”

Still Blake withstood Heyes’ cold glare.  “And if not?”

“You might regret it.”

Both men stared at each other for half-a-dozen beats.  Eventually, Blake lowered his eyes.  “Alright.  You win – for now.  But if you cross my path again, we’re going to settle the score.”  Without another glance he turned around and left with his men in tow.

“Maxim!”  Within a moment Tasha appeared from out of the shadows and hurried to the boxer’s side.  Quickly, she filled him in, using his mother language.  The look of confusion on his face changed from anger and frustration to defeat.

“Never mind it, Maxim.  I know a place where you can sleep tonight,” she offered.  “And my friend has a plan for how to go on, don’t you, Joshua?”

“Of course.”  Heyes pushed his hat back and forth, then turned to the silent giant.  “You know, there’s a nice little settlement not far away up in the hills, built by a couple of families from Russia seeking freedom and a better way of living here.  I got in touch with them and they’d be happy to have an additional pair of strong and willing hands for work.  We could guide you there, if you’d like to check it out.”

“Oh, I’m sure we will!” Tasha answered.  A little blush colored her face and put a shimmer of excitement in her eyes.  Quickly she translated for Maxim.  Slowly a smile lit up his face, and after she had finished, he nodded eagerly.  “Da.  Yes.”

-o-o-o-

Early Monday morning, Heyes came out of the lawyer’s office, stowing away a bundle of bills into the inside pocket of his jacket.  Smiling, he crossed the street to meet his friends waiting at the livery stable.

“You’ve got our pay, Joshua?”

“Of course, down to the last penny.”  Heyes’ eyes were caught by Tasha, wearing a long riding skirt and carrying a carpet bag.  “Hi, Tasha.  You planning on coming with us?”

“Yes, Joshua.  Nothing keeps me here anyway.  And it will be much easier for Maxim if I go with him and offer my support.”

“So, you want to take care of him for the journey?”

“And he will take care of me.”  Tasha and Maxim exchanged a brief smile.  “And not only for the journey, I hope.”

“You alright riding with us, Tasha?  It'll be rather uncomfortable.  We want to make miles quickly in case Blake changes his mind.”

“Of course, I am.  I’m happy, actually.  There’s a new life waiting, and it can’t start soon enough,” she replied and looked over to Maxim with a rosy shine flushing her cheeks.

Maxim didn't take his eyes off her.  It was a warm look filled with wonder and appreciation.

“Alright, then let’s get going.  We’ll start out nice and easy, giving Tasha time to get used to her horse.  As soon as we’re outta town, we’ll pick up speed.”

All four of them mounted their horses and turned westwards.  Kid Curry and Hannibal Heyes led the way at a slow pace, Tasha and Maxim followed behind, side by side.

A smug smile flashed over Heyes’ face and a self-satisfied twinkle lit up in his eyes.  “Everything worked out just fine.”

“Yeah,” Kid Curry sighed.  “I hated that silly diet.  I can’t wait to have a decent meal again.”  A smile of anticipation appeared on his face.  “A nice big steak, mashed potatoes, biscuits and pie.”  He smacked his lips.  “Apple pie.  Or cherry.  Or both.”  He sighed again.  “I don’t know how Max could grow so tall and be as strong as he is on only scrambled eggs, coffee, greens and fish.”

Tasha and her friend exchanged a few words in his mother language.  The large man frowned and looked very confused.

“He’s asking what you’re talking about,” Tasha translated.  “Max says, 'Why would he do such a crazy thing like that?  He says a boxer needs to keep up his strength and he has always eaten very well – plentiful and sumptuous.”

The Kid squinted his eyes and turned to his partner.  “Heyes...?”

“Time to speed up!” Heyes declared quickly and nudged his horse into a brisk lope.

“HEYES!” Kid Curry shouted and took off after his partner.

Tasha and Maxim watched them, laughing and following at a more moderate pace.  Now and again they glanced at each other in undeniable affection.

The angle widens.  In the distance we see two
riders disappear in a cloud of dust,
one chasing the other at breakneck speed.

[Fade out]
[Well-known Trailer]

-o-o-o-

Author’s note:  The boxing manual really exists.  It was published 1893, but since we have no definite timeline for the show, I decided it was acceptable.

You can find a digital copy at: https://archive.org/details/boxing00sull/page/18/mode/2up

You will find some inconsistencies considering the content, though.  I’ll leave it for the reader to decide whether the author took a few liberties or if Heyes was making it up.

Another fact is that several waves of Russian immigrants came to the US of A in the late 19th and early 20th century.  There were large Russian communities e.g. in the areas of Los Angeles, San Francisco and Portland.  I decided a small fictional out-of-the-way place would be the better choice for a hide-out.  We don’t know how Heyes and Curry learned about this place, but maybe there’s another story waiting to be told another day.

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Nightwalker’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen - under the advertisements.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

Last edited by royannahuggins on Sat 20 Mar 2021, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penski
Post Sat 20 Mar 2021, 10:19 am by Penski
I love this story - so much great lines! Heyes getting Curry to want the "job" was perfect. Some lovely visuals of the Kid, too. Glad everything worked out from Maxim and Tanya. Thanks so much for writing an episode, Nightwalker!
thumbsup
Post Sat 20 Mar 2021, 11:33 am by Uk_rachel74
Oh I loved this! Great lines and a lot of fun. Excellent episode.

royannahuggins likes this post

Post Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:21 pm by Kathy
Very nice story with some really great dialogue. Good story

Penski likes this post

Post Sat 20 Mar 2021, 8:20 pm by Laura
I really enjoyed this story. Heyes was really asking for that black eye, he sure deserved it. Poor Kid putting up with all of the training. Glad that Tasha and Max ended up together. I would like to know what happened when Kid caught up with Heyes at the end??

Post Sun 21 Mar 2021, 12:25 am by calicole
Great story, lots of fun and characteristic dialogue and bantering. The Kid had to eat light, work out, wear satin and face Ivan in the ring but in spite of his misgivings and protests, he still had faith in the Hannibal Heyes plan. Heyes managed to gather the information they needed and piece it together to make the plan work, found a way to help the Kid land the knock out punch and in spite of his worry, he had faith in the Kid's ability. I enjoyed this and I hope Maxim and Tasha live happily ever after.

Post Fri 02 Apr 2021, 4:02 am by Gemhenry
A really fun story, Heyes manipulating Curry into taking the “job”, great bantering between the boys and Curry in red and black satin. Excellent.

Penski likes this post

Frauds and Fistfights by Nightwalker

Page 1 of 1