Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Special Delivery by Penski

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Special Delivery by Penski Empty
PostSpecial Delivery by Penski

Starring

Special Delivery by Penski Pete_a22
Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry

Guest starring

Special Delivery by Penski Lom_tr10
James Drury as Sheriff Lom Trevors

Special Delivery by Penski Malden10
Karl Malden as Colonel Harper

Special Delivery by Penski Tom_bu10
Tom Burlinson and Singrid Thornton
as Sarah and Will

Special Delivery by Penski Tom_cr10
Tom Cruise as Sean O’Neil

Special Delivery by Penski Marily10
Marilyn Monroe as Lulubelle

Special Delivery by Penski Clint_10
Clint Eastwood as Sheriff Henry Blackmore

Special Delivery by Penski Michae14
Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner
as Samuel Harper and Annie

Special Delivery
by Penski

Lom Trevors woke to a persistent knocking on his door. “Who in the heck is here in the middle of the night?” Dressed in his long johns, he sat up and grabbed his gun. “It better be important!”

He quietly made his way to the door and cocked his gun. “Who is it?”

The knocking stopped and he heard a sigh at the other side of the door.

“Just us, Lom. Can we come in?”

Lom remained vigilant as he unlocked the door and peered outside. “Anyone following you?”

“Not since two days ago,” came a weary response from Hannibal Heyes. “We really need a place to rest for a day or two and then we’ll be on our way.”

Lom uncocked his gun and set it on a table and opened the door wide. “Come on in.”

Heyes and Kid Curry slowly walked into the cabin carrying their saddle bags and bed rolls. They were filthy and exhausted.

Trevors looked outside. “Sure no one followed you?”

“We’re sure.” The Kid set his belongings in a corner.

“Where are your horses?”

Heyes sat down at the table, dropping his things. “We were hoping you’d say yes so we already put 'em in the barn and took care of ‘em.”

Lom shook his head as he shut and locked the door. “You two look awful! Either of you hurt?”

“No.” Curry joined his partner at the table.

“Have you eaten?” Trevors asked as he yawned.

Heyes shook his head and yawned, too. “We’re starving.”

“Help yourself to some ham and bread.” Trevors checked the coffee pot. “Still pretty warm.” He poured and handed them two coffees. “Plenty of water in the pail by the stove. Use it to clean up some. I’m going back to bed; we’ll talk in the morning.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Lom Trevors looked in the spare room and saw the two former outlaws still sound asleep in their clothes. They had put a bedroll over the bedding and slept on top. “Must not have wanted to get the bed dirty,” he muttered, then smiled. “I know how to wake ‘em up.”

Heyes and the Kid both sniffed the air in unison. They stretched and made eye contact.

Heyes smiled and took a deep breath. “I smell coffee and bacon.”

“I smell good coffee and biscuits.” Curry grinned.

“Guess we should get up and talk to Lom before he goes to work.”

“Guess we should.”

The two men pulled their pants on and buttoned their shirts before padding barefoot out into the main room of the cabin.

Lom Trevors chuckled when he saw them. “I knew that would wake you up. You didn’t eat too much last night.”

“Too tired to eat more than a ham sandwich.” Kid Curry sat down at the table.

Trevors poured coffee into the three mugs and sat down with the partners. “So, tell me who was chasing you?”

Heyes grabbed a biscuit and took a small bite of bacon before answering. “Bounty hunter – Jasper Jenkins.”

“Jasper Jenkins!” Lom dropped his fork. “He’s good… real good. And a professional.”

“Yeah, we know,” Curry agreed and spooned scrambled eggs on his plate.

Lom picked up his utensil. “Are you sure you lost him?”

“We’re sure.” Heyes took a bite of his biscuit. “He got hurt – not by us – and had to find a doctor.”

“How’d he get hurt?”

“Might have dodged a bullet and tripped.” Heyes shrugged. “Looked like he dislocated his shoulder from what we could see before we hightailed it outta there.”

Lom nodded. “What are your plans?”

“We were hoping to get us and our clothes cleaned today. Rest. Leave probably tomorrow. Don’t want to overstay our welcome. Heyes took a sip of coffee, looking at the lawman over the rim.

“Sounds good.” Lom stood up as he finished drinking his coffee. “I have to get to work. See you two tonight.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Trevors arrived home to see two clean friends sitting on the porch enjoying a cigar and a glass of whiskey. A third glass and cigar were waiting for him.

“See you got cleaned up.” Trevors joined them and lit his cigar. “And something smells good.”

The Kid smiled. “While we were at the river washin’ up, I was able to take down three prairie hens. You smell them, along with biscuits and some carrots that we found.”

“Sounds good.” Trevors took a sip of whiskey before lighting his cigar and taking a puff. “Where’d you get the whiskey?”

Heyes blew out some smoke. “Went into town for a few minutes to get supplies before leaving tomorrow. We got the whiskey and cigars and even a fresh baked berry pie as a thank you for letting us stay here to rest up.”

“Any plans where to go?” Trevors asked.

“Just find a job… an honest job,” Curry replied. “Why?”

“Well, it just so happens that I heard from Colonel Harper – you know, FRIEND of the governor Colonel Harper – this morning and he has a delivery job.”

Special Delivery by Penski Lom_te10

Heyes frowned. “Another job for the governor’s friend. Delivering what?”

“A package to his son in Mill Creek. Doesn’t sound too hard or dangerous.”

“No job involvin’ the governor is good. Why don’t he just have it delivered like most folks would?” Curry asked.

“He didn’t ask specifically for you, just someone trustworthy to get a package delivered by next week Friday.”

“It don’t sound too bad, Kid,” Heyes said with his cigar still in his mouth. “And he is friends with the governor.”

Curry sighed in resignation. “Okay, we’ll do it.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Keeping their mounts to a walk, Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry cautiously made their way through the residential area of Cheyenne at dusk keeping their mounts to a walk. Large Victorian houses lined both sides of the street with lamp posts casting shadows on the ground below.

“Here’s 1010 on Foster Street; it must be the right one,” Heyes said as he looked around.

“Must be,” Curry agreed and dismounted.

After tying their horses to a hitching post in the front, the two men made their way up the walk to an imposing brick house with a large front porch. Heyes knocked on the door.

A large man with a bulbous nose opened the door just a crack, an unlit cigar in his mouth. “Who’s there? What do you want?” he asked in an intimidating tone.

“Colonel Harper?” Heyes removed his hat. “Lom Trevors sent us to deliver a package for you.”

“Smith and Jones?”

“Yes, sir.”

Colonel Harper opened the door wider, the light from the lamp in the Colonel's hand illuminating the two men. “It is you,” he nodded. “Come on in. “Hang your jackets and hats on those hooks and follow me.”

Kid Curry and Heyes quickly removed their outer clothes, hung them up, and followed their host into a den.

Harper sat behind a large mahogany desk. On the other side of the desk were two chairs. He gestured towards them. “Sit. Sit.”

The two visitors took a seat and waited while Harper scrutinized them for a minute.

Heyes smiled. “So, what kind of a delivery do you want us to make?”

“A very special delivery to my son!” the Colonel exclaimed. “And it has to be there for a special event happening in seven days, next week Friday evening.”

Heyes thought a moment. “Seven days to get to Mill Creek shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Can we know what we’re deliverin’?” asked the Kid.

“Something very precious to me. It cannot be lost or stolen; do you understand?”

“Yes, sir.” Heyes nodded his assurance to the other man. “We’ll take good care of it.”

“Good.” Colonel Harper stood and walked over to his safe. “Please turn around.”

Heyes and Kid Curry stood and turned to face the door while Harper turned the dial of his safe. When they heard the safe open, they half-turned back.

“Here it is.” The colonel reached in and pulled out a small, red velvet pouch with a drawstring. He brought it over to his guests and opened a small box inside. “It was my grandmother’s ring.”

Heyes and Curry whistled at the sight of the jewelry.

“Guard it with your life!” Colonel Harper closed the box, put it back in the pouch, and handed it to Heyes. “I’ll have your payment of $200 wired to the bank at Mill Creek. No money if it’s late,” he warned.

“We’ll have it there in time,” Heyes agreed and put the pouch deep in his pants pocket.

“Sir, what’s your son’s name? How will we find him in Mill Creek?” Curry asked.

“Good questions. His name is Samuel Harper. Go to the sheriff’s office and ask for him. They are best friends and are expecting you.”

“Uh, just wondering who the sheriff of Mill Creek is these days?” Heyes inquired.

“Henry Blackmore. Do you know him?”

Heyes and the Kid exchanged a glance, then shrugged.

“Ah, can’t say that we do.” Kid Curry smiled and held out his hand. “We should get back to the hotel so we can get an early start in the mornin’. Nice doin’ business with you again, Colonel Harper.”

Heyes offered his hand. “Colonel Harper. You can count on us to get the ring safely to your son on time.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry and Hannibal Heyes traveled on a path of sage-covered prairie with mountains ahead of them and plateaus around them. The dry tall grass waved in the wind under a scorching sun.

Curry took off his hat and wiped the sweat from his face with an arm sleeve. “Sure has been a hot summer.”

“Yep,” Heyes agreed, keeping his head down and protected from the sun. “Hot and dry.”

The Kid glanced at the sky. “Looks like we might be gettin’ some relief.”

Special Delivery by Penski Vs_sto10

Heyes looked up as his partner pointed to the dark clouds near the mountains. “Not looking forward to getting wet, but the rain's needed. Some relief from the heat will be nice, too.”

“Sure will,” Curry agreed. “Guess we'd better start lookin’ for a place to camp before the storm hits.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The sun rose to a clear day and dry ground.

“I’ll be darn,” Heyes exclaimed as they were drinking coffee. “It sure stormed last night with a lot of lightning, but there was barely any rain.”

“It cooled down some with this wind so that’s a good thing.” Curry drained his cup. “You about ready to go?”

“Yep. Let me put out this fire.” Heyes poured the last of the coffee with the grounds over the fire and kicked some dirt over it. “Don’t need a fire starting with it being so windy.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The sun was sinking lower in the sky as Heyes and Curry continued on a path through the tall brown grass bending down, touching the ground from the gusty wind.

“Heyes?”

“Hmm…?” came an answer from under a black hat pulled down low and the stampede straps tied.

“Do you smell somethin'?”

Heyes looked up and sniffed. “Smoke.”

“Yep.” Curry looked around. “It’s there.” He pointed behind them to a cloud of smoke.

“Must’ve been lightning sparking a fire.”

“With this wind blowin’ behind us, it could bring a fire here in no time.” Curry tightened his stampede strings. “We better get movin’, just in case.”

“I’m with you, partner.” Heyes encouraged his horse into a quicker gait.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Kid, that looks like a house over there.” Heyes pointed to something in the distance.

“A house?” The Kid squinted. “Where?”

“A sod house,” Heyes clarified.

“Oh, I see it now. We need to make sure they know about the fire comin’ their way.” Curry reined his gelding in that direction.

The two men rode through a field and approached the house.

Special Delivery by Penski Sod_ho10

“Hello! Is anyone here?” Heyes asked in a loud voice.

A rifle barrel could be seen poking out from the window. “You ain’t got no reason to be here so leave!” came a female voice.

Curry raised his hands. “Ma’am, there’s a fire headin’ your way. We just wanted to warn you.”

“A fire?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Heyes continued. “It looks like a large wildfire started from the lightning the other night.”

“Which direction?”

“From the east to the west. You can’t see it because it’s behind you,” the Kid informed her. “It’s movin’ fast, so you might be okay in your sod house. Do you have animals or belongin’s to get in? Is there a man around that we could warn?”

The door opened and a young woman carrying a rifle stood at the entrance. “Don’t you come any closer and keep your hands up!”

“Yes, ma’am,” came two unison answers.

She walked out and to the side, looking behind her sod house. “Oh, my! There is a prairie fire coming! Will won’t be back for another hour or so!”

“Will?” the Kid questioned.

“My husband.” She looked around with a worried expression. “I have to get the animals in so they’re safe. The sewing machine and the table and chairs…”

“Don’t worry, ma’am, we’ll help you,” Curry volunteered.

“Hmmm… Thaddeus, can we talk for a minute?”

“We’ll start bringin’ in the cows,” the Kid informed her.

The woman started emptying the table outside. “I'm sorry,” she apologized. “I don’t even know your names. I’m Sarah and my husband is Will.”

“I’m Thaddeus Jones and this is my partner, Joshua Smith. We’ll be right back.”

Heyes and Curry walked to the corral where two cows were kept.

“Kid, we don’t have time!” Heyes spoke quietly to his partner. “This fire can delay us from getting to Mill Creek on time. That’ll make the Colonel unhappy and that'll make the governor unhappy. We won’t get paid and then we'll be unhappy.”

“Look, you can leave and continue to Mill Creek, but I’m not leavin’ until Sarah's safe.” Curry opened the gate and began getting one of the cows, putting a rope around its neck.

Heyes grumbled, “If we’re late, it’ll be all your fault!” In a louder voice, he said, “Let me get the other one.”

As they led the cows towards the sod house for protection, a man driving a wagon came racing up to the front.

“Who are you?” he demanded. “Where’s my Sarah?”

Sarah came hurrying out from inside the house. “Oh, Will, you came back!” she cried, relief at seeing her husband evident on her face. “There’s a fire…”

“I know, I saw it and turned back. It’s heading this way!” Will pointed to the two men. “Who are they?”

“Joshua Smith.” Heyes held out his hand, then turned to the Kid. “He’s my partner, Thaddeus Jones. We were running from the fire and came to check if everyone was okay at the house.”

“Appreciate you men helping. We’ll put the cows in the back of the lean-to and the wagon in front of them so they can’t get out. Hopefully the fire will go over us quickly.”

“What about the horses?” Curry began unhitching them from the wagon.

“Put them in the house with us,” Will informed them.

The two horses were led into the house and the three men pushed the wagon under the entrance of the lean-to.

“Sorry, but there’s no room inside for your two horses and all four of us. You can let them go to fend for themselves and take coverage inside with us, if you'd like.” Will carried the sewing machine into the house.

Heyes and Curry looked at each other and shook their heads.

“Ah, Will, we have to have our horses. We’re making a special delivery for a friend of the governor’s.”

“We’ll just have to take our chances. Our horses have had some time to rest up,” Curry added.

Will sighed. “I don’t like it, but I understand. There’s a lake about a day’s journey. Head to it and hopefully you can survive the fire by taking refuge in the lake.”

Heyes and Curry mounted their animals.

“Thanks for the suggestion. Which way?” Heyes asked.

Will pointed. “That way. You can’t miss it. Thanks for all your help and I’m sorry…”

“No need to be sorry,” the Kid informed him. “You and Sarah take care.”

“Godspeed!” Will shouted as the two men galloped away. He turned to his wife. “Sarah, help me get a few buckets of water inside, just in case.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The sunset was ablaze with brilliant reds and oranges from the smoke in the sky.

“I can see the flames now!” Curry pointed at the horizon. “It’s gettin’ a lot closer.”

Special Delivery by Penski Vs_wil10

Heyes nodded. “It can get here even faster with this wind gusting behind it.”

“That line of flame seems mighty long.”

“Think the best way is to stay in front of it and hope the wind dies down or turns direction.”

“Gonna be slow travelin’ in the dark,” the Kid commented.

“Do the best we can.” Heyes kicked his horse’s sides.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry tied their bandanas around their faces, trying not to breathe in the thickening smoke when the sun rose as a dark orange ball.

“Fire’s gaining!” Heyes looked around. “We need someplace to shelter, and as soon as possible. Hopefully that lake isn’t too much further.”

The horses snorted and pawed the ground as their ears pinned back.

A few deer quickly sprinted past them and away from the fire.

“They have the right idea. Let’s go!” Curry shouted. His horse needed no further encouragement to run.

Heyes’ horse followed, staying just outside the tree stand.

Kid Curry pointed and yelled. “Think I just spotted our shelter from the fire!”

Heyes looked ahead and nodded. “Finally!”

As they urged their mounts to an even faster pace, a mountain lake came closer and closer into their view. When they arrived at the water's edge, they jumped down from their foaming horses.

“Not a minute too soon! Let them drink, but not much, and get your bed roll,” Heyes said as he began untying his own gear. “We’ll wade in the deeper water. We can use the roll to cover the horses and us from the flames.”

“Not gonna be good to cool 'em down so fast in the lake.” The Kid removed the clothes he had stored in his roll as he opened it up.

“Better than burning.”

Both men dropped their items into the water and weighed them down with a large rock at the edge.

“Let’s go!”

“Your gun!” Kid Curry called out. “We can’t get 'em wet!”

“We don’t have time…”

“We have to make the time!” the Kid insisted. “Never know when we’ll need 'em.” He quickly untied the strap around his thigh and then unbuckled his gunbelt. Rolling it up, he used the rawhide strip to secure it to the saddle horn. “Can’t go deeper than mid-check; the horses’ backs have to be above water.”

“Okay.” Heyes sighed and followed his partner’s example.

The Kid rummaged through his saddlebags and found a box of bullets. “You’ll be drier if I put you here,” he said, placing them in a shirt pocket.

Heyes began pulling his mare into the lake, but the horse balked, snorting, pawing the ground and rolling her eyes. “Come on, girl. You can do it,” he said gently as he rubbed her nose. He grabbed the halter and began leading the animal into the water, talking to her quietly the whole time.

Curry followed suit, encouraging his gelding into the water not far from his partner. “Come on, boy! This is gonna save our lives.” He looked around. “Heyes, there’s some deer and elk in the water, too.”

“Must be the natural thing to do.”

Finally, they were in the water mid-chest, so the horses’ backs were just out of the water.

“Get the roll wet and cover your horse and you. Fire’s at the water’s edge.” Heyes started covering his horse’s back.

“With this wind, it could blow hot embers our way,” the Kid commented as he also covered his horse.

“Yep,” Heyes agreed. “Wouldn’t be surprised if it burned around the lake. Brrr… this water is cold.”

The two partners made eye contact. “Take care, Kid.”

“You, too, Heyes.”

Eyes wild and wide, both horses were frozen with fear and allowed the wet blanket to be placed over their heads. Standing back-to-back, inches from each other, Heyes and Curry covered themselves, too, with the bedroll as they held their animals’ halters.

The high wind carried hot embers into the lake and to the distant shore, where the fire ignited again. Sparks landed on the wet bedrolls and quickly extinguished. The noise of the wind and fire was deafening as it surrounded them. The horses remained frozen while Heyes and the Kid talked soothingly to them.

Sometime later the noise quieted.

“Kid, are you all right?” Heyes tentatively lifted his bedroll and peered out.

“Yeah. How about you?” Curry also raised a corner of the roll.

Brown and blue eyes met and then looked at the devastation around them. Charred ground and trees were everywhere, however, some of the landscape had somehow managed to survive. The land still smoldered in some areas, puffs of smoke rising from the charred remains. The fire continued on the other side of the lake, heading west.

“Looks like the worst is over so we can get out of the water, but we’ll have to be real careful. The ground will still be hot.” Heyes began removing the bedroll from his mare.

Curry followed suit and began leading his gelding to the shore where their belongings were. “Looks like our clothes survived.” He removed the rock holding them down, picked them up, wrung them out as much as possible, and put them across the saddle.

Heyes, meanwhile, was on the shore checking the area while leading his mare. “Need to find some grass for our horses and shelter for us so we can have someplace for our clothes to dry.” He walked carefully around an area that was still smoldering. “Definitely still some hot spots.”

“Hopefully they won’t start on fire again with this wind.” Curry came out of the water and glanced around. “What about over there by those boulders?” He pointed to a formation of large rocks that the fire did not come close by. “We can let our clothes dry on them.”

Heyes walked over to the area his partner pointed out. “Hey, there’s some grass still over here, too, for the horses. Looks like the fire went around the boulders. It’s sheltered enough for us to camp here overnight.”

The men removed their wet saddles and gear before hobbling their animals near the grass and lake.

“Now that the horses are taken care of, we can take care of ourselves. Curry began laying his wet clothes and bed roll on the rocks. “With this wind blowing like it is they should dry quickly.”

Heyes laid out his items and bedroll, too, and then sat on a flat rock to remove his boots. “May as well undress so our boots and clothes that we’re wearing can dry, too.”

Kid Curry looked around. “I doubt we’ll see anyone.” He unbuttoned his shirt and removed it along with his vest. Undoing his button fly jeans, he pulled them down and sat down to remove his boots, jeans, and socks, leaving on his red union suit. “I feel nekkid.”

“We are naked!” Heyes retorted as he spread the last of his clothes on rocks while wearing only his long johns. “It shouldn’t be long before everything is dry and we can put our clothes back on.”

“I wonder what wet jerky and hard tack tastes like.” Curry emptied the rest of his belongings from his saddle bags to dry.

“Like wet jerky and soggy hard tack. It’ll have to be our meal today. The hard tack won’t last long now that it’s wet. Hopefully we come to a town soon.” Heyes rummaged through his own bags, removing all the items so that they could dry and spread them out with the rest. “Coffee beans should still be good.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Gemhenry likes this post

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Special Delivery by Penski :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Special Delivery by Penski
Post Thu 18 May 2023, 3:54 pm by royannahuggins

The smoke was still hanging thick in the air and the sun, like a red orb, waned in the sky.

“Clothes are dry,” Curry announced and put on his jeans, then sat down to put on his socks. He grabbed his boots and checked them. “Still damp inside,” he sighed. He pulled off his socks. “May as well go barefoot while they dry some more.”

Heyes began putting on his own clothes. “Nice to be warm and dry, again.”

“You still have the ring, I hope?” The Kid buttoned up his shirt.

“Yep, it’s right…” Heyes felt his pants pockets, first the one on the right side and then the other.

“Heyes…?”

“It was right here! I put it deep in this pocket and now… it’s not here!” Heyes looked up with panic in his eyes. “It has to be right around here!” He began looking around the rocks, picking them up one after another and tossing them off to the side.

Special Delivery by Penski Wheres10

“When was the last time you remember havin’ it?” the Kid asked as he joined in the search.

Heyes thought for a moment. “I remember feeling it in my pocket while helping Will and Sarah.”

“Will and Sarah?!” Curry groaned. “We don’t have time to go back to their place and make it on time to Mill Creek on Friday! Look harder!”

“I am!” Heyes snapped.

“I’ll go check where we left our clothes when we first went into the lake.” Curry put on his socks and stomped his boots on.

“I’ll keep looking around the rocks. Maybe it fell out and landed in a crevice.”

Kid Curry walked over to where they entered the water and looked around carefully. “Still in the pouch?”

“Yep. It’s red velvet so it can’t be hard to see.” Heyes climbed barefoot around the rocks that had clothes drying on them. He cautiously examined the area, especially in the nooks and crannies caused from the rocks. “Find it?”

“Nope, it’s not over here.” Curry sighed and headed back. “I suppose we have to head back. Too bad we can’t just send a quick telegram from here askin’ if Will and Sarah found anything.”

“I know.” Heyes sat down dejectedly by his boots. He pulled on his socks and pushed his right foot into his boot. “Ouch! What the…?” He pulled his foot back out. “Hey, look what I found!”

“The ring?” the Kid asked hopefully.

Heyes nodded gleefully. “It must’ve dropped into my boot when I was taking off my clothes to dry.”

“Well, that’s a relief!” Curry sat down next to his partner on the large rock. “Now put it somewhere safe.”

“It was safe deep inside my pocket!” Heyes defended himself.

Kid Curry gave him a look.

“Well, it was until I took my clothes off to dry.”

“That’s it. You’re keepin’ your clothes on until we get to Mill Creek!” the Kid stated in a no-nonsense tone.

Heyes began gathering his clothing and folding them up. “May as well stay here tonight and get things ready so we can leave when the sun comes up.”

“Good idea.” Curry began gathering his clothes and putting his belongings back in his saddle bags, except for a rag and oil.

“That wind sure dried things fast. Shouldn't be long before we can get dressed again.”

“It did,” the Kid agreed. “I’m guessin’ your gun needs cleanin’, too. I got the stuff out for both of us.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The two former outlaws filled their canteens, saddled up the horses, and were on their way in the early morning. The sun rose to another deep red color from the smoke seen in the distance.

“Hopefully, we’re far enough behind the wildfire so it won't affect us too much,” Heyes commented, making small talk as they rode.

“Hopefully there’ll be a town nearby that didn’t get burned up so we can have a decent meal.”

“Doubt we’ll see one of those, Kid, but you keep on hoping.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The red orb that was the sun was higher in the sky but starting to head lower.

Special Delivery by Penski Red_or10

“Heyes, that’s not what I think it is, is it?” The Kid pointed into the distance almost in front of them.

Heyes squinted and sighed. “Yep, it looks like a chimney.”

“Sure hope the folks got out okay.”

“Well, unfortunately, it looks like we’ll be passing that way and we'll be able to see.” Heyes pulled up his bandana. “Smoke is kinda thick again.”

“Yeah.” Curry covered his mouth and nose with his red bandana. “Wonder if the wind changed direction?”

“Seems like it, huh?” Heyes agreed. “Maybe it’ll burn back and put itself out.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The two men cautiously rode to the burned-out house with just a chimney remaining. They dismounted and led their horses around the area.

Special Delivery by Penski Burnt_10

“I don’t see a burned wagon…”

“And no charred bodies, either,” Heyes added.

Curry gave him a look.

“Well, you’d be able to see if there was a person or animal that didn’t survive,” Heyes defended himself.

“I bet we can get the horses some water from the well.” The Kid walked over to it and peered down. “Yep, there’s still a rope with a bucket I can just barely reach.” He bent over and leaned far into the well.

“Don’t fall in!”

“Just stay away from me,” came a mumbled Curry voice. “I just about… Got it!”

Heyes looked around at what might have survived the fire. “Here’s some pots we can use for the horses.” He brought them from the rubble of the house to the well. “Gotta be careful – there’s still a few hot spots, especially where the house was.”

Kid Curry stood up and lowered the bucket down into the well, pulling it up again and pouring the water into one of the pots. “Did you check where the barn used to be?” He repeated the actions to fill both pots.

“Yeah, and I didn’t really find anything but metal tools that survived the fire. No animals were left behind that I could see.”

“Good.” The Kid continued watering the horses until they had their fill. Next, he took a sip of the water, shrugged, and filled up their canteens. “Water isn’t too bad.”

“Ready to go?”

“Yep.” Curry put the bucket next to the well. “You still have the ring?”

Heyes patted his pants pocket. “Right here.”

“Heyes?”

“Hmm…”

“I sure hope Will and Sarah survived the fire.” The Kid mounted his animal.

“They should have. Sod houses are built so they can survive fires and tornadoes.”

“Good.”

“Wood structures like this house and barn don’t have a chance with either,” Heyes added, glancing at his partner.

Curry nodded. “Something to think about.”

The two men reined their horses to the left, away from the burned homestead and continued on their journey.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Thank goodness the wind changed when it did,” the Kid commented.

“Yeah, it sure helped put out the flames when it began heading back in the burned area.”

“Last night’s rain didn’t hurt, either.”

“I usually don’t like rain when we’re on the trail, but…”

BANG… BANG… BANG…

The horses backed up from the well-placed shots near their hooves.

“Stop and put your hands up!” came a low voice from behind a boulder. “We have several guns aimed at you.”

Heyes and Curry lifted their hands while holding onto the reins and made eye contact.

Special Delivery by Penski Hands_10

“What’s this all about?” Heyes called out.

“This is a robbery!” A rifle barrel glistening in the sun could be seen from the top of the rock. It was trained on the two men. “Throw down your guns nice and easy-like.”

The two former robbers sighed and reluctantly complied.

“Now, my friend is gonna come relieve you of a few things and tie you up nice ‘n tight while the rest of us keep our guns on you.”

A young man walked out from behind the rock and cautiously came closer to them. “Don’t forget you have guns aimin’ for your bellies,” he warned. “Get down from your horses and lay on the ground with your hands behind your backs and don't try nothing stupid.”

Grumbling all the while, Kid Curry and Heyes dismounted in unison and laid down as instructed.

The young man quickly tied their hands behind them and checked their back pockets. “Okay, roll over now so I can check your front pockets.” Immediately, the ring pouch was found. “Lookee what I found here!” The man continued to search. “And here’s a wad of money. Yahoo! It’s my lucky day!”

The young man walked over to the rock and grabbed the gun. He turned to face them, a smug look on his face. “Wasn’t sure if it’d work or not, but it did.”

“You mean you’re all alone?” the Kid asked incredulously.

The robber smiled. “Yep!” He tied Heyes’ reins to Curry’s horse, then grabbed the reins of the second horse. Pulling their two animals behind his horse, the man shouted, “Been good doin’ business with you, gents!” and laughed.

Heyes and the Kid quickly rolled so they were back-to-back.

“It’s your turn to untie us, Kid.”

“I did it last time with the bounty hunter!” Curry protested.

Heyes sighed and began working on the knots. “That’s right. It’s sad that we get in these situations enough to take turns.”

Special Delivery by Penski Vs_pen10

“Well, at least he left us our guns and didn’t take our bullets.”

“Must’ve been a greenhorn,” Heyes guessed.

“Yeah, a greenhorn that was able to rob Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry! How embarassin’!”

“You forgot the part about him being able to do it all by himself.”

“I didn't forget,” Curry muttered. “I was tryin' to forget about it.”

“I almost have it… Don’t move – you tightened it again!” Heyes grumbled. “You’d think you’d know better not to move while someone is loosening your hands.”

“Sorry! I had a twitch.”

“A twitch? Okay, just about have it, again… There – I got it!”

Heyes and the Kid stood up and rubbed their sore wrists before Curry bent down and retrieved their guns. “Here you go.” He handed Heyes his Schofield. “Now what?”

“We don’t have a choice, do we? We follow him down that road and hope there’s a town nearby. We have to get our horses back…”

“And the ring!” the Kid added. “Who was it that said this job shouldn't be too bad?”

“Let's get walking!” Heyes snapped.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two weary and sore former outlaws hobbled into the town of Fairplay. The streets were deserted, and the few gaslights were lit. The two saloons were still open and off-key music and singing, along with shouts, came from both of them. They walked by the sheriff’s office and grinned at each other when the name didn’t sound familiar.

“Heyes, my blisters have blisters,” the Kid complained as he sat down on a bench. “How far do you think we walked?”

Heyes joined him on the bench. “Oh, I’d say eight or ten miles. Ouch!”

“Think he’s here?”

“Oh, I’d definitely say he’s here.” Heyes pointed to their two horses tied to a hitching post outside of the Silver Queen saloon.

“How do you want to handle this?”

“After we’ve rested some, we’ll glance in the saloon to make sure he’s in there. We’ll wait until he comes out, pull him into an alley, and demand that he return our money and the ring since the horses and saddlebags are here for us to claim already.”

Curry nodded. “Thank goodness he didn’t take our guns.”

“Yep, a greenhorn mistake.”

Kid Curry checked his gun and holstered it again. “If we see him inside the Silver Queen, how about one of us goin’ into the Fairplay Saloon to buy a bottle and maybe some food?”

“With what? He has our money,” Heyes reminded him.

The Kid removed his hat and pulled out a bill from under the lining. “With this.”

Heyes narrowed his eyes. “Since when have you kept money in your hat’s lining?”

Kid Curry smiled. “Since you lost all our money in the last few poker games. This way I still get to eat and maybe enjoy a night in a soft bed. Think I’ll get us a room at the hotel, too, while I’m at it.”

Heyes grinned. “Glad you’re thinking, Kid.”

“Okay.” The Kid rose slowly from the bench. “I’m gonna check out the saloon and then go get something to eat and drink.”

“What about your blisters?” Heyes got up and stretched his back.

“They’ll hurt a lot less with a few swallows of whiskey.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two men stood in the alley near the Silver Queen watching the patrons leave for the night.

Special Delivery by Penski Waitin10

“Good night, Lulubelle!” shouted a young man as he swayed unsteadily coming out the door.

“Good night, Sean! See you tomorrow night, I hope,” came a female voice inside.

The two men quickly sprang to action. One had a gun in his hand as they both grabbed the arms of the young man and hurried back to the alley.

“I’d stay quiet, if I were you,” Curry growled, pointing his Colt at the man.

“How… How’d you get here?” he whispered.

“We walked! How do you think we did it? You have our horses.” Heyes began to search the robber's pockets and pulled out a wad of bills that wasn’t quite as big as it was before. “Where’s the ring?” he demanded.

“The ring?”

“Yeah, the ring in the red velvet pouch. The one you stole from us.” Holding the man by his shirt collar, Heyes shoved him non-too-gently up against the wall, and stepped closer, his face inches away.

“Oh, that... Uh, well, Lulubelle liked it, so I gave it to her.”

“Who’s Lulubelle?” the Kid demanded, edging closer to Heyes' side.

“She works inside. We were… well, you know what we were doin’, and she said she liked it. I didn’t have a need for it so I gave it to her.”

Heyes and Curry gave each other a look.

“Place is closed so we’re gonna have to wait until tomorrow,” Curry said.

“Well, it’ll be nice to have a bed to sleep in tonight,” Heyes commented.

“Sure will,” the Kid agreed.

“What about me?” asked the drunk young man.

“What about you, Sean? What’s your last name?” Curry demanded.

“O’Neil. Sean O’Neil.” He repeated, “What about me?”

“You stole our horses. You know what happens to horse thieves, don’t you?” Heyes snarled.

The man gulped. “Are you gonna tell the sheriff?”

“Tell you what, you get on your horse and leave town now and we won’t tell anyone, as long as you give us back everything that belongs to us.”

“Okay!” The drunk nodded.

“Did you remove anything from our saddle bags?” Curry asked.

He shook his head. “Nope. I just got into town, ate, and had a few drinks with Lulubelle. Oh, and spent some time with her. I had to use some of your money for all that.”

“Was this your first robbery?” Heyes growled.

“My… my second.”

“Well, it’s gonna be your last. Do you hear me?” Heyes hit the wall near the man’s head.

Sean flinched and screwed his eyes shut.

“You’re darn lucky we’re not telling the sheriff, but we will, if we hear of any more robberies. We’ll give the sheriff your name and your description, Sean O’Neil. Do you understand me?” Heyes gave him a hard shake.

Sean opened his eyes and gulped. “Yes, yes, sir! No more robberies... ever!”

“Let me give you a suggestion, Sean,” Curry said. “Find a job, an honest job, settle down and get married. Robbin’ is no kinda life.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Now get on your horse and leave!” Heyes thundered.

Sean O’Neil ran from the ally, got on his horse, and galloped out of town, never once looking back.

Heyes put an arm around his partner’s shoulders. “Let’s go use those beds in the hotel and get some sleep.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The sun was high in the sky when the partners woke up.

“Heyes, what time is it?” Curry yawned as he rolled over onto his back, eyes still closed.

Heyes picked up his pocket watch on the small table next to the bed. “11:30. We have time to eat, go to a bath house, and then the saloon. Lulubelle should be available by then.”

“Sounds like a plan.” The Kid languidly stretched his arms, then slowly sat up. “It’ll be nice soakin’ in a hot bath.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A clean and refreshed Heyes and Kid Curry walked into the Silver Queen Saloon and made their way up to the bar.

“What’ll you have, gents?”

Heyes pulled out a few coins and held up two fingers. “We’ll have two whiskeys.”

Special Delivery by Penski Drink10

“Comin’ right up!” The bartender poured the drinks and slid them down the bar top.

The two men clinked the shot glasses, swallowed the golden amber, and placed them back on the counter.

“Another?”

Heyes nodded. “Two more.”

The bartender poured another round.

Curry and Heyes took the glasses and turned to survey the room while sipping their second whiskey.

“Quiet in here,” Heyes commented to the bartender.

“Yep, but it’s still early. Poker games usually start after four.”

Kid Curry watched a gal in a satin dress saunter down the stairs and nudged his partner.

Heyes turned to face the bar. “Is that Lulubelle? A friend recommended her.”

“Sure is,” the bartender confirmed. “Hey, Lulubelle, you got someone askin’ for you.”

The young blonde dressed in a gold dress with orange trim smiled seductively as she made her way over to the two men. “Well, aren't you two the cutest things!” She rubbed both of their arms. “Which one of you is asking for little ol’ me?”

Kid Curry gave her a big smile. “Ahh, we were wonderin’ if we might buy you a drink and chat first.”

“It’s slow, so why not. Al, I’ll have the usual.”

“Comin’ right up, Lulubelle.” The bartender poured her drink. “That’ll be two bits for the lady’s drink.”

“Two bits?” Heyes gulped. “Okay, and two beers for us.”

Heyes and Curry carried the drinks to a table in the back of the room while Lulubelle followed.

“She’s got the ring on her finger,” Heyes whispered to the Kid.

“Saw it.”

They sat down and everyone took a drink.

“Lulubelle, to tell you the truth, we’re looking for that ring.” Heyes gently tapped the ring on her pointer finger.

Lulubelle pouted and pulled her hand away, holding it protectively against her. “My ring? Why would you be lookin’ for this ring?”

“It was stolen from us,” Curry informed her, looking into her eyes.

Lulubelle shook her head. “No, the man who gave it to me wouldn’t do that.”

Heyes took a quick sip. “Sean O’Neil, or whatever he called himself while he was with you, ambushed us on the road about ten miles from town. Took our cash, belongings, horses, and that ring. We had to walk all the way here.”

“Sean? My Sean did that? How?”

The partners glanced at each other.

“Umm…” Curry started. “He pretended there was more than just him.”

“And you fell for that?” Lulubelle laughed.

Heyes frowned. “We’d been on the trail a long time and had just outran a wildfire. We were tired and not planning to get robbed.”

“Well, darlin’, no one plans to get robbed.”

“Anyways, we were in Cheyenne getting the ring from my friend Thaddeus’ mom. You see, Thaddeus here is getting engaged to a beautiful gal, the mayor’s daughter, and that ring is his grandmother’s.” Heyes patted the Kid on the back and both men smiled.

Lulubelle twisted the ring. “It’s a family heirloom?”

The Kid nodded. “It’s my grandma’s on my ma’s side.”

“Oh, and how did you know I had it?”

“We happened to see Sean last night when he left the saloon. He felt so bad about robbing us that he returned everything, but he couldn't give us the ring.” Heyes’ silver-tongue was in full force.

“Sean’s okay, isn’t he?” Lulubelle's eyes were full of concern. “You didn’t hurt him, did you?”

“No, ma’am.” Curry shook his head. “We didn’t hurt him at all, did we, Joshua?”

“No. He rode out of town on his own horse,” Heyes confirmed.

“And who’s the ring for?” Lulubelle looked at the Kid.

“For my Rosie back home. We’ve been goin’ together for a few years now. I had to prove to her father…”

“The mayor,” Heyes added.

“To her father, the mayor, that I was worthy of his daughter’s hand in marriage. He only just said I could have her hand, so me and my best friend, Joshua, here, made the trip to get the ring,” the Kid finished.

“Aww… Now ain’t that the sweetest thing!” Lulubelle looked longingly at the ring, sighed, and removed it. “I guess you can have it back under one condition – I want the five dollars Sean still owes me.”

Heyes nodded. “Okay, but we need the red velvet pouch it was in. Part of the heirloom, you understand.”

“Sure.” Lulubelle stood up. “I’ll go get it after you give me my money.”

“Ring first and then the money,” Heyes insisted, firmly.

Lulubelle reluctantly took off the ring, a wistful expression on her face. “Here you go, handsome.” She handed the ring to the Kid. “Your Rosie's a very lucky gal.”

Heyes fished in his pockets and pulled out a gold half eagle. “There you go.”

Lulubelle snatched the coin. “I’ll be right back.”

Heyes and Curry had just finished their beers when Lulubelle returned.

“Here it is.” She tossed the pouch on the table. “Be careful and hold onto that ring, darlin’. And don’t go gettin' robbed again!”

“Oh, we don’t aim to be robbed again,” the Kid stated as he slipped the ring back in the red velvet bag. “Thank you for understandin’ and returnin’ grandma’s ring.”

Lulubelle brushed her fingers lightly under the Kid’s chin. “Too bad you’re not available. Rosie is definitely one lucky lady,” she whispered.

Heyes began to stand. “Yeah, we better get going, Thaddeus, if you want to propose on Friday.”

“You’re right.” Kid Curry stood. “Thanks, again, for understandin’, Lulubelle.”

The two men left the saloon and mounted their waiting horses.

“Again, the mayor’s daughter?”

“Next time you can marry the miner’s daughter.” Heyes grinned. “I gotta say, you did pretty good carrying on the story.”

The two men rode slowly through Fairplay and encouraged their horses to gallop when they got outside the town.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Heyes, why can’t any jobs for the governor’s friends be easy? We should've made it to Mill Creek easily on Friday and now we’re just makin’ it on time.”

“Didn’t count on the wildfire or robbery. It should have been easy.” Heyes pointed to a road sign. “Only five more miles to go and it’s before noon.”

“Should've been easy. Nothin’ is easy for us,” the Kid lamented.

“Not necessarily.” Heyes gave his partner a side glance. “Robbing was easy.”

“Robbin’ isn’t easy. Just ask Wheat now. No, we made it seem easy with the plannin’ and rules and caution.”

“True.” Heyes smiled.

“Well, I can’t wait to hand over the ring to Samuel Harper and be done with this job so we can get paid,” Curry stated. “We definitely earned our money after all we've been through!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two tired, dirty men rode into Mill Creek.

Kid Curry pointed to the sheriff’s office. “There it is. Let’s get rid of that ring before anything else happens.”

They dismounted and tied their horses to a hitching post.

“I hate goin’ in jails,” the Kid whispered.

“Me, too. Let’s get it over with.” Heyes opened the door. “Good day. Sheriff Blackmore? Sheriff Henry Blackmore?”

A man wearing a star stood up. “Yes. Can I assume you’re here making a delivery for Colonel Harper?”

“We are.” Heyes held out his hand. “Joshua Smith, and this is my partner, Thaddeus Jones.”

“Welcome! Samuel and I were getting a little worried, wondering if you’d make it on time. Make yourselves comfortable – there’s hot coffee on the stove. I’ll get Samuel and be right back.”

Heyes walked over to the stove. “You want one, too?”

“Yeah, I’ll have one.” Curry took the proffered cup. “Hope we don’t have to wait too long.” He looked around and shivered. “Even sittin' in the sheriff's office, this close to the cells, makes me nervous.”

They sat down and had a few sips of coffee.

Heyes glanced around the room and smiled. “Hey, look, Thaddeus.” He pointed to the area where the wanted posters hung on the wall.

“Seems Hannibal Heyes’ and Kid Curry’s have been covered up by more recent posters.” The Kid grinned.

“Yep. Makes a person happy.” Heyes took another sip.

The door opened and Sheriff Blackmore entered with another man. “Samuel, this is Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones. Gentlemen, this is Samuel Harper.

Heyes and Curry quickly stood and placed their coffee mugs on the desk. They shook hands.

“Please to meet you. I wasn’t sure you’d make it in time.” Samuel Harper leaned against the desk and held out his hand. “May I have it?”

“Sure.” Heyes pulled out the red velvet pouch from a pocket.

Harper loosened the drawstring and poured out the ring into his waiting hand. “Here it is, Henry.”

Henry took the ring and whistled. “Annie will love it!”

Samuel smiled as he took the ring and put it back in its pouch. “Thank you so much, Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones. My father, the Colonel, and I appreciate this so much.” He put the pouch in his pocket. “Let’s get over to the bank before it closes and then let my father know it arrived.”

“Sounds good.” Heyes stood. “Thank you for the coffee, Sheriff.”

“You’re welcome.”

The Kid got up and began following Harper.

“I think I’ll send a quick telegram to let Father know, first. He may get notice about the wired money before I tell him. Communication is so quick now-a-days.”

“It sure is,” the Kid agreed.

Samuel sent a telegram while Heyes and Curry stood outside and checked out the town.

“Finished.” Harper came out of the building. Next, the bank. I think you should come inside because you might have to sign for something.”

While Harper talked to the bank’s head clerk, Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry glanced around the bank.

“We haven’t…” the Kid started.

“We haven’t,” Heyes finished.

“Gentlemen, please come sign so we can give you your money,” Samuel Harper interrupted them.

Heyes and Kid Curry pocketed their money as they walked out of the bank with Harper.

“I know you’re probably tired and hungry, but I’d like to invite you to the church’s dance this evening. There’ll be pretty girls, good music, delicious food, and maybe some spiked punch,” Samuel informed them. “I can guarantee it’ll be a good time.”

“Well, we're pretty tired and dirty,” Heyes started.

“We’ll think about it,” Kid Curry finished.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A clean Kid Curry finished shaving and wiped his face. “Come on, Joshua, you can read a book anytime.”

Heyes, laying in his bed, glanced away from his book so he could look at his partner. “You really wanna go to the church dance?”

Special Delivery by Penski Go_to_10

“Sure, why not? We don’t have to stay long.”

Sighing, Heyes marked the book and closed it. “Okay, I’ll go.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two handsome men entered the church dance. There was a band playing in a corner and a laden table with food on one side. In another corner were two punch bowls.

Samuel walked over to them. “So glad you decided to come.”

“It sounded like fun,” the Kid commented.

“Just so you know, you’ll be wanting the punch in the left bowl, not the right.”

Heyes grinned. “Thanks for the heads up.”

The band finished a song and the fiddle player nodded to Samuel.

“I have to go. Have fun!”

Heyes and the Kid walked over to the punch table and poured themselves glasses from the left bowl.

“Tasty,” Curry commented after his first sip.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Samuel Harper has a few words he wants to say,” shouted the fiddle player.

The room quickly became quiet.

“Annie, will you join me?” Samuel Harper held out his arm.

A beautiful young woman blushed and joined him in the middle of the room.

“Annie…” Samuel removed the pouch and got down on one knee. “I love you with all my heart. Will you marry me?” He opened the drawstring and held out the ring.

“Oh, Samuel, I love you, too, and YES I will marry you!” As her young man rose to his feet, the couple embraced.

The townsfolk all cheered, along with two handsome strangers.

A portly gentleman walked over to the betrothed couple. “Samuel, I’m happy to have you as a son-in-law.”

“Thank you, Mayor Wilson!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two very tired men gratefully eased themselves down on the edge of their beds.

“Heyes, am I ever tired! My feet are killin’ me!” Curry sighed wearily as he holstered his gun, laid back, and pulled the covers up to his chin.

Special Delivery by Penski Going_10

“Mine, too.” Heyes yawned. “I think we both danced with every gal in Mill Creek.”

“Thank goodness we got the ring back from Lulubelle and made it here on time.”

“Yeah, that would’ve been a disaster! The governor and Colonel Harper would’ve been furious with us.” Heyes turned the blankets back, then reached out to turn off the light. Darkness filled the room as he crawled under the covers. Settling back on his pillow, his voice interrupted the silence. “You know what, Kid?”

“What?” Curry yawned sleepily.

“Folks do get married to the mayor’s daughter.”

(Writers love feedback! You can comment on Penski’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen. You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous. You can type any name in the box.)

Nightwalker and Gemhenry like this post

Penski
Post Sat 10 Jun 2023, 12:42 am by Penski
After driving through a fire area where many houses were just a chimney, I wanted to write a story about a wildfire, but quickly realized that I needed more than that. Hope you enjoy this story.
Post Sat 24 Jun 2023, 2:05 pm by Uk_rachel74
What a great episode. Thoroughly enjoyed this! Poor boys but at least it ended on a happy note for the boys- they even got paid. Excellent VS entry.
Special Delirvery
Post Sat 24 Jun 2023, 4:25 pm by Kathy K
Well done, very visual and exciting story. I visited Lake Tahoe just a few weeks after that devastating fire was contained, and saw house after house with just the stone chimney still standing. I also visited Yellowstone one year after that fire nearly destroyed the Old Faithful Inn. Both your descriptions and your picture illustrated the horrible destruction very well. I guess we can't just limit it to bad things happening when the boys separate. They sure did earn their money this time! Good story!
Review for Special Delivery
Post Sun 25 Jun 2023, 12:57 am by K Taylor
[size=13]Enjoyed this 'episode' a lot.  Such a vivid description of the fire.  I felt our boys' fear and desperation.  And laughed when they were robbed by a single, inexperienced robber.  There will always be another job for a friend of the governor and you captured perfectly how they will never be easy.   size]
Post Sun 25 Jun 2023, 1:10 am by ladkiss
clap thumbsup Great episode, you would think the boys would know by now that they are going to have issues. Glad they were able to escape the fire, get the ring and deliver it in time. Thanks for a wonderful episode.
Special Delivery
Post Sun 25 Jun 2023, 8:21 pm by Laura
I wonder, did their not so good luck start after they went for amnesty? A prairie fire and getting robbed, then having to walk 10 miles into town. Glad that they spotted their horses so quickly and found Sean. He was lucky that they just talked to him. It seems that they found the lake in the nick of time. You can learn a lot about how to handle things from reading these stores. I liked it a lot.
Post Thu 29 Jun 2023, 12:03 pm by Nightwalker
Very enjoyable read. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you and the producers put into the virtual season. It's very apprechiated.
moonshadow
Post Fri 30 Jun 2023, 3:20 am by moonshadow
Another awesome VS contribution from my co-producer, Penski!
Boy, you sure know how to put the boys through the wringer!
It wasn't enough with a prairie fire, they had to survive being submerged in a lake with their horses just to be able to continue on with their job.
Then, the loss of the ring - the very expensive and unreplaceable ring. I was mentally trying my best to help them hunt for it ;-)
And to add insult to injury, they get robbed by a young kid, using a ruse that shouldn't have worked.
And then having to walk for 10 miles...sheesh. I'd have given up long ago and hightailed it to someplace safe.
You even added some education in your VS - the sod house couple. What a neat photograph! It's amazing to think folks were proud to live in something like that and even welcomed their livestock inside when necessary.
I'm sorry for the reason, but I'm really glad you were inspired by the lone chimneys you saw and that you shared the adventure with us.
Post Tue 04 Jul 2023, 9:57 pm by Nell McKeon
What a great and visual episode. The writing about the wildfire was outstanding. I can't imagine how terrifying they must be but you conveyed it very well. The strategy for survival was well thought out, too. The boys went through a lot in this episode but at least they did get paid. I thoroughly enjoyed every word and picture.
Post Sun 30 Jul 2023, 4:59 pm by Dan Ker
Excellent choice of actors!
For me, James Drury is the ultimate personification of Lom Trevors.
Always polite, a little sarcastic and direct. I can see his suspicious looks towards his charges while saying,
"You look awful."
Very believable, after claryfying basic things he resigns himself to well-known circumstances and returns to bed...

I like the way you top their simultaneous acting with simultaneous speaking. Together with the expression, "bounty hunter... a professional" we are back again in a filmed episode in our minds, accompanied by a nice homely feeling.
Funny to read the boys would never openly admit they could have something to do with the injury of said bounty hunter... Evading questions is their second nature!

Sweet and surprising gesture I would not have suspected from two men on the run - buying a pie as a thank you....
Generally, you are experienced enough to have the boys right on spot with their characteristics. Curry, the more pessimistic one, his partner pushing all possible misgivings to the back of his mind. Curry in the role of offering help immediately, while Heyes is focused on their original job, having their payment in prospect.

Until now I have not read many stories involving Colonel Harper in person but Karl Malden fits exactly the image I have of him.
I like how you include Kid in the negotiations.
Also I like your description of the weather in your story.
More realistic than we like at the moment - hot and dry, that's not only a phenomenon in the USA or the former Wild West. South Europe suffers from such a climate as well - heavy bush and forest fires with desastrous consequences such as you used in your story.
Very good written deduction,
"That'll make the Colonel unhappy and that'll make the governor unhappy. We won't get paid and then we'll be unhappy." Anything to add?
Also a good hint to the series is the flipped reproach,
"If we're late, it'll be all your fault."

Being the owner of a horse, I can only agree with the principle,' Horses first, only then riders'.
I admit, the picture of two sexy Cowboys dressed with wet underwear sticking to their bodies is a nice inspiring idea. But their feeling of nakedness matches their time spirit more than ours....

I guess the usually calculating Heyes hates nothing more than the feeling of panic. He was never one for admitting a fault.
Splendid how he tries to talk his way out of it but then acknowledges Curry's final, determined decision,
"That's it. Your keeping your clothes on until we get to Milk Creek."
Heyes knows when there's no moment for arguing after he hears the answer to his statement,
"Don't fall in.", "Just stay away from me."
It's true they had better days and it's true Kid has every right to rub their bad luck on his partner's nose.
Great self-protection of Curry to save up some money for a rainy day...

Also well written is Heyes's acting as intimidating outlaw.
Poor Tom Cruise... He wouldn't like to be handled like this!
Beautiful to see how they can work perfectly in tandem if necessary.
Of course, each fan of the boys, no matter which one, is proud of their stamina to dance all night with blisters, which have blisters on them, on their feet....

A fine, extended story about a wildfire, written in your usual pleasurable style.
Thanks for an entertaining story.
Post  by Sponsored content

Special Delivery by Penski

Page 1 of 1