Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Empty
PostMystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow

Starring

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Hh_kc_10
Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry

Guest Starring

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow James_10
James Drury as
Sheriff Lom Trevors

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Kurt_r10
Kurt Russell as
Deputy Artie McCain

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Trace_10
James Garner and Loretta Swit as
Trace and Rose

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Matt_a10
Sean Murray and Mike Vogel as
Joe and Matt

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Carter10
Michael Landon, Karen Grassle, and James Stacy as
Andy and Beth Carter and Mike Griffin

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Clara_10
Betty White and Joan Plowright as
Clara and Ida

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Bernar10
Bernard Fox
as Preacher Brown

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Harry_10
Harry Morgan
as Dr. Silas Gordon

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Stephe10
Stephen Gierasch as
Zeke “Hooter” Jackson

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Sincla10
Maxell Jenkins, Merlin Olsen, and Katherine Cannon as
Jack, William, and Alice Sinclair

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Winsto10
John Smith and Mark Slade as
Mr. Charles McAllister and Sam Winston

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Tom_le10
Tom Lester as
Owen, the telegraph operator

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Clancy10
Henry Beckman and William Demarest as
Clancey the conductor and Bob the Brakeman

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow Ed_and10
Ned Beatty and Victor French as
Ed the engineer and Fred the fireman

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2
by moonshadow

PART ONE RECAP:  When we last saw the Kid, he was tangling with some Miwok braves...

The Kid took a step forward and swore, grimacing in pain.  Looking down at his left bicep, he saw an arrow sticking through his jacket, blood seeping out on both sides around it. He pivoted about and headed back towards the trees. Reaching them, he pitched forward, his right arm braced against the tree trunk, still holding onto his Colt.  He leaned his head against the tree, warily watching the braves as they advanced towards him.

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 1_kc_o10

“I can't pass out now!” he whispered as he slid to his knees.  Despite the pain, he managed to get turned around enough to keep an eye on the advancing braves.  

“There's a train full of passengers who are countin’ on me to help save ‘em!”

~*~*~*~*~*

Forcing himself to get to his feet, the Kid darted a quick look in the direction the arrow had come from.  “There’s a third brave!” he groaned, firing a warning shot towards him.  The Indian dove for cover behind some rocks and Curry swiftly turned to point his gun straight at the other two Miwoks.

“You two,” he commanded, motioning with his gun, “stay right there or I’ll shoot – hands in the air!”

The two braves dropped their bows and slowly raised their hands.

“Tell your friend he’d better get over here, too, or he’s gonna get you shot!”  The Kid cocked his Colt for emphasis.

One of the braves called out to the one hiding.  A moment later he came out with his hands up.

“Guess we can all understand each other just fine,” Curry muttered.  

After getting the three braves down on the ground and their arms trussed up using the coil of rope Hooter had insisted he take with him, the Kid finally took the time to glance down at his wounded appendage and grimaced.  “Not gonna get any easier; might as well go ahead and get it over with before I have time to change my mind.”  

Picking up a large rock, he wedged his wounded arm in the crook of a tree trunk with the arrow shaft sticking out on both sides.  Taking a deep breath, he grit his teeth, braced himself against the tree, then brought the rock down as fast and as hard as he dared, breaking off what he could of the arrow shaft on the right.  Repeating the actions, he did the same to the other half.  Cursing a blue streak, he threw the pieces to the ground, then tied his bandana around the wound.

“Lotta good that does me!” he grimaced.  “Sure wish I could just pull the whole arrow out, but I can't afford to lose that much blood.  The rest of it'll havta wait until after I get to the telegraph office.”  

Getting the braves to their feet, he marched them back in the direction they had come from.

“I don’t know if you'll understand this or not, but I’m gonna take the three of you to that shack we passed not too far back.  Shouldn't take us more'n ten minutes.  You’ll be okay 'til I can get word back to your tribe and they can come get you.  The buildin’s an old line shack that’s seen better days, but it’s warmer than bein’ out here in the cold and I need to keep you from followin' me.”

~*~*~*~*~*

Once they reached the windowless shack, the Kid motioned for the braves to sit down, then secured each one to something solid.  Ready to leave, he turned around at the door for a final look, his eyes resting on the pot-bellied stove in the corner.  With a resigned sigh he went back inside.

“Guess it won’t hurt none if there’s a fire to help keep the chill away.  It's more’n you’d do for me, but...”  He glanced down at the badge pinned to his coat.  “We’re all just doin’ our jobs, right?  You're protectin' your friends and I'm protectin' mine.”  

Throwing wood shavings into the stove along with some thicker wood pieces, he struck a match and tossed it inside.  He checked the braves’ bindings once more, then pulled the door shut.  Using rope that he’d found in the shack, he tied it around the door handle securely and looped it around a nearby tree trunk.

“There, that should help keep you nice and safe inside, at least long enough for me to get to the telegraph office.”

Curry glanced up to get his bearings.  Still studying the sky, his brow furrowed, and his mouth turned down in a frown.  “Great – just what I need – snow clouds!  And, by the looks of ‘em, it’s not gonna be long ‘til they start dumpin’ snow on me!”  Resigned, but determined, he squared his shoulders and tucked his injured arm close to his body.

“It’s sure not gonna be an easy trip back.”

~*~*~*~*

THE TELEGRAPH OFFICE

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 2_tele10

Trudging up a snow-covered hill, cradling his wounded arm, the Kid's brow furrowed when he first caught sight of the building. “You’re a puny-lookin’ thing, but if you've gotta workin’ telegraph inside, you won’t hear me complain.”  He made his way to the door and stumbled inside.  Pushing the door shut, he leaned against it and released a deep sigh of relief.  Not seeing anyone else in the small room, he pushed off the door and took a step forward, undoing the buttons on his coat one-handed.

“Hello?”  All of a sudden, as the warmth of the room engulfed Curry, a wave of lightheadedness washed over him. He swayed and caught himself from falling by grabbing onto the counter.

“Hey – you okay, mister?” a voice called out with concern as a man rushed towards him.  The man came to a halt when he saw the blood on the stranger’s coat.  “What happened to you?”

Hunched over the counter, the Kid shook his head.  “It’s my arm.  Three Miwoks braves were trackin’ me.  Thought I’d lost ‘em, but I was wrong.  One got me with an arrow.  You the telegraph operator?”

“Yep.”  The man guided Curry over to a chair next to a table against the wall.  “Sit down here and we’ll see ‘bout getting you patched up.”  Taking note of the badge on the Kid’s coat, he breathed a sigh of relief.  The operator went back to the counter, reached below and brought out a small bag, then glanced over at his patient.  “You think you’ll need stitchin’ up?”

Trying to ease himself out of his coat with a minimum of pain, the Kid muttered, “Sure wish I didn’t!”  He freed his good arm, shrugging it off his shoulder and continued.  “I broke part of the shaft off on each side and threw a bandana ‘round it, but I didn’t have time to see what the damage was.”  He hissed in pain, then bit down on his lip as he undid the bandana and slid the arm of his jacket over the wounded area.

The operator sucked in his breath.  “That looks pretty bad, mister... sheriff...?”

“Jones, Thaddeus Jones, and I'm a deputy.  It does hurt – more than I realized.  Guess the cold was helpin’ to numb the pain.”

“I’m Owen.”  The man glanced at Curry.  “So, if you don’t mind me asking, what in the Sam Hill brought you all the way out here to this remote telegraph office, alone and walking in all that snow?  Must’ve been mighty important to risk tangling with Indians?”

“It is,” the Kid nodded.  “I need to send an urgent message to the sheriff in Cheyenne and the nearest fort.”

“I'm sorry, Thaddeus,” Owen shook his head, “but the line’s dead – would you believe it?  Either it came down on its own with the snow and all, or someone cut it!  I’m just sitting here waiting for it to get patched up.  They say it can’t be fixed until tomorrow.”

Curry’s head jerked up.  “Tomorrow’ll be too late!”

“Well, maybe this’ll be some good news.  Before it went down, I got a wire from Cheyenne.  It has the names of two men who are on that train.  They've asked that the sheriff hold them until they get to the next town.  See for yourself.”  He handed the telegram to the Kid.

Curry’s eyes widened at what he read.  He stuffed the paper into his coat pocket.  “Twenty- four people are dependin’ on me makin’ it back in time.  Is there another way back?  Hopefully one that might be shorter?”

Owen assessed Curry before answering.  “Well, once you get doctored up, you look like you might be able to take the other route.  It’s trickier and requires more skill, but it’ll take you less time to get back to the train.”  He hesitated.  “There’s a snowstorm coming in real soon.”

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 3_kc_i10

The Kid nodded.  “Yeah, I noticed.  This other route you were talkin' 'bout – can a horse make it?”

“Shouldn’t be any trouble and it'd make the ride back quite a bit shorter.”

“Would you be willin’ to lend me one?”

“Well, seein’ as how you’re a deputy and all, I guess that’d be alright.  There’s a real sturdy chestnut mare in the first stall in the barn.  Her name’s Lightning and, like her name, she’ll get you back lickety-split.”

“Speakin’ of time...”  Curry grimaced as he glanced down at his wound.  “I hate to bring it up, but we’d better get this arm taken care of.  It’s startin’ to hurt more than it was.”

“Good thing for you I’ve got something to help ease the pain a tad.”  Owen poured some liquid almost to the brim of a mug and brought it over to the Kid.  “Here, drink this straight down to the bottom without stopping.”

The Kid shook his head.  “As much as I’d like to, I can’t; I’ve gotta be alert and able to ride.  Soon as I’m done here I havta get right back.  Can’t do that if I’m drunk.”

“Well, if that’s the way things have to be...”  Owen frowned.  “The rest of that shaft’s gotta come out first, then I’ll have to sew up both the entry and the exit wounds.”

Curry looked at his arm, then considered the mug in his other hand.  “Maybe I’ll drink half.”

“Half’s better'n nothing.  I’ll give you something to bite down on while I work on your arm.  You wanna try taking off your shirt and henley or...?”

The Kid shook his head.  “Just cut through ‘em.  They’re ruined now anyway.”

Owen waited while Curry downed half the liquid, then handed the mug back.  “I’m gonna get some snow to help numb the area.  It’ll slow down some of the bleeding as well.  Be right back.”

The Kid nodded, then winced at the throbbing pain.  He grabbed his elbow below the wound and cradled his arm protectively against his body.

Owen returned with the snow and rummaged around in a drawer.  “This oughta do the trick; it’s thick enough.”  He brought a large wooden spoon, along with a bucket, over and handed the spoon to Curry.  “Bite down on that.  The bucket’s to catch the melting snow and whatever else might drip.”

The Kid swallowed, then put the spoon between his teeth.

Owen set to work cutting the shirt and henley away from the wounded area first and dropped the pieces into the bucket.  “Okay, hold on tight and bite down on that spoon.  I’m gonna pour some of this whiskey over your wound.”

“I am!” Curry mouthed around the spoon.  He gripped the side of the bench with his other hand and squeezed his eyes shut.  Owen took a tighter grip on his arm.   As the whiskey found its target, Curry groaned and stiffened, his fingers digging into the side of the bench.

“All done.  You can relax a bit while I pack your arm with snow.”

The Kid allowed his muscles to gradually become less rigid.  He opened his eyes and removed the spoon from his mouth, then exhaled.  “That was the easy part,” he muttered wryly.  “I can hardly wait for the rest!”

While packing the snow around the wound, Owen answered, “I won’t lie to you; it’s gonna hurt like the dickens, but I’ll do it as quick as I can, I promise.”

“Yeah, I was already on borrowed time without gettin’ shot by an arrow.  I don’t have extra time to waste; those people are countin’ on me to come through.  Their lives might depend on me.”  The Kid heaved a deep sigh.  “Truth be told, if the fort can't send help in time, then the Miwoks might just kill all the passengers.  They've got the train blocked on both sides so it can't move, and they want us to send out two men who sold 'em bad whiskey and killed five of their tribe.  They gave us a deadline of noon tomorrow.”

“Well, Thaddeus, think of it this way.  By taking the extra time here, right now, you’ll be able to make up that time when you take the shorter route back.  You won’t be in any danger of bleeding out or falling off your horse while you do it, neither.”

“Yeah, that’d be a good thing.”

“While we’re waiting on that snow to do its job, why don’t you share what happened with the Miwoks?  You never did get to finish that story.”

“Not much to tell,” Curry shrugged.  “I just used an old trackin’ trick and luckily it worked.  Two of ‘em ended up in front of me ‘stead of behind me and when they saw my gun pointed at ‘em, they decided to surrender rather than fight.”

“But you said there were three of them and there's only one of you!”

The Kid shrugged.  “They only had arrows; I had a gun.  The only thing that went wrong was I didn’t know there was a third brave.  The odds were in my favor; they knew I could get all three of ‘em before they could get me.”

“So, then what did you do?”

“Got ‘em all tied up and left ‘em inside an old line shack.  Built a fire before I left so they wouldn’t freeze.  Figured that once I got back to the train, I could get a message to the Miwoks to tell ‘em where their scouts were.”

Owen gave the other man a searching look before he spoke.  “Most men would’ve shot them.”

“I’m not most men,” the Kid shrugged.  “Like me, they were just doin’ their job.  I couldn’t blame ‘em for that.  It’s none of our faults that we’re in the mess we’re in.”

“You’re a good man, Thaddeus.  As my granny used to say, ‘What goes around, comes around.’  You should have good luck with your plan for saving the train.”

“Sure hope so.  It’s been a while since we’ve had any good luck.”  He watched the operator warily as he began to remove the snow.

Owen glanced up.  “Yeah, it’s time.  Get your teeth clamped down good and tight on that spoon.  Oh, here’s this, too.”  He placed a fair-sized stone into Curry’s palm.  “Squeeze your hand around that as hard as you can.  Concentrate on trying to crush it.  And please, try not to jerk around too much.”

The Kid nodded.  Closing his eyes, he steeled himself for what was to come.  He bit down on the spoon, then curled his fingers around the stone and clenched it in his fist in a death grip.

“I’ll count to three and then pull it out.  Ready?  One, two...”  He yanked the piece of shaft from Curry’s arm.  Seeing the Kid’s expression, but unable to make out the garbled words coming from his patient’s mouth, the telegraph operator grinned.  “I know; I lied.  A little trick I learned from my pa.  The good news is it’s out and all I’ve got left is to stitch up those two holes and you’re done.  The bad news is that you didn’t crush the stone.  More good news: you get another chance.”

Owen washed his hands and got the threaded needle.  “You know the drill; bite spoon, pulverize stone.”

The mute glare he received in return didn’t seem to affect Owen as he set about his task.  Before he began, he glanced up.  His patient’s eyes were squeezed as tight as the hand around the stone and beads of perspiration were trickling down his face.  “Just a little word of warning, the underside of your arm’s more tender, so you might feel this a tad more than the last one...”  As the operator pulled the thread through for a second time, he heard a loud, snapping sound and darted a quick look at the other man.

Curry’s eyes were wide open.

An incredulous expression filled both of their faces.

The Kid opened his mouth and pieces of wood dropped to the floor.

“Good gravy - you broke the spoon in half!” Owen exclaimed as he looked at Curry in concern.  “Your teeth okay?”

Moving his jaw slowly and feeling around carefully with his tongue, Curry nodded.  “I think so.  Might have a few splinters in there, though.”

“I’ll get you some water to rinse your mouth out while I bandage up that arm.”

“You’re all done?”

“Sure am.  Told you I’d be quick.  Here, rinse then spit it out in the bowl.  Uh, you might not wanna look at what’s in there, though.”

“I’ve probably seen worse.”  The Kid shrugged.  “But I think I’ll take your advice anyway.”

Owen finished wrapping up Curry’s arm, then tied the ends of the bandage.  “There you are; almost as good as new.  Just be sure to keep it as clean as you can.  There might still be some bleeding, but nothing to worry about.  You’re good to go, Thaddeus.”

“Thanks, Owen; appreciate it.”  He reached out to shake the man’s hand, then grinned.  “Guess I can let go of the stone now, huh?”

“You wanna take it with you as a little souvenir?  Or maybe you’d rather have the arrow shaft?”

The Kid shuddered.  “No thank you to both of ‘em – I’d rather forget, if you don’t mind!”

Owen held out his hand, palm up.  “Give me the stone, then.  I’ll set it on my desk to remember today.  Maybe one day I’ll have kids.  I can tell ‘em all about the tale of the brave man who was shot with an arrow and how I saved his life so he could save a train full of folks.”

Curry dropped the stone into Owen’s hand with a grin.  “I’m sure you’ll tell a very good tale, Owen.”

The telegraph operator grinned in return.  “A very good tale, indeed.  Oh, I almost forgot – I need you to sign for the horse before you leave so I can get paid and you'd better tell me what your message is and who I'm sending it to.”  He grinned.  “It works better that way.”

The Kid grinned in return.  “Where do I sign?”

Before Owen could reply, the telegraph started clicking.  Both men turned to stare at it in surprise.

“Well, whaddya know?  They must’ve got it fixed!” Owen exclaimed.  “I can try sending that message of yours now while you’re saddling up.”  He glanced at Curry's arm.  “You need any help with that?”

“No, gettin’ that telegram sent is more important than you helpin’ me.  I might be slow and clumsy, but I think I can manage.”  

The operator laid two pieces of paper on the counter.  “Here you go; just sign down there at the bottom for the horse and put the other information on this piece.”

“I sure appreciate you gettin’ that telegram sent.”  Curry scribbled Sheriff Lom Trevors, Porterville, Wyoming, and wrote down the words for the telegram before he began his trek to the barn.  Snow pelted him as soon as he opened the door.

It was a while later before the Kid led the animal out of the barn.  As he stepped outside, his shoulders sagged.  The snow had started falling thicker and faster.  He trudged over to some nearby trees to tether the mare and stopped to look around.

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 4_kc_l10  

“This couldn’t've waited a couple hours, huh?  Isn’t there enough already on my plate without havin' to fight the weather, too!?”  He had just started on his way back to the office, when the telegraph operator stuck his head out the door.  

“Hey, Thaddeus!” Owen called out.  “I’ve got some more good news for you.  Your message went through; said they’ll send it on to Cheyenne and the fort.”

“That’s not good news, it’s great news!  Thanks for patchin’ me up, lendin’ me the horse and for tellin’ me ‘bout that shorter way to get back to the train.  That’ll make a big difference; might even help save a few lives.”  He grinned.  “Hey, maybe you can add all that into your story!”

“You’re welcome.  I’m gonna go in and write all that down right now so I’ll remember it,” he chuckled.  “Take care of that arm and keep an eye out for the Miwoks.”

“Don’t worry, I will; sure don’t wanna mess with any more of ‘em!”  Guiding the horse to a nearby tree stump, Curry took advantage of it.  Mindful of his arm, he stepped up onto the stump, then mounted up.  Kid waved and began his journey back to the train.  He had only traveled a few minutes when a howling wind began, swooshing through the air and swirling the snow sideways.

Curry scowled up at the sky.  “C’mon, Lightning, let’s get goin'.  Hope you don't mind if we pick up the pace a bit.  Heyes hates it when I'm late and he starts worryin'.  It’s just gonna be a little bit harder to navigate, but we can do it.”

~*~*~*~*~*

BACK AT THE TRAIN

“They’re coming back again!” Artie shouted from his position at the window of the second car.

Hearing the pounding of running feet on top of the railcar, Heyes called out a warning, “Lom, watch out they don’t try to climb in the windows!”

Grim-faced, the sheriff nodded and glanced up at the roof and waited.  However, despite the warning, not one brave was seen.

“The windows aren’t their target!” cried Artie, pointing.  “Look, they’re doing something to the stoves!”

The chimneys of the stoves were being stuffed with rocks and dirt so that it caused the smoke to back up and start billowing out into the car.  Cries of triumph and whooping accompanied the sound of feet jumping up and down as the braves ran along the car roofs, leaped to the ground, then made their way back to their tribe.  With a brief lull in the attacks after that, Lom, Artie and Heyes took stock of the situation.

Passengers began to cough and gag, their eyes watering.

“With the broken windows partially covered, there isn’t much choice,” Heyes choked out.  “We’re gonna have to pull the window coverings down to let the smoke escape.”

“Lotta good that did us!” Lom snapped when they were finished tearing down all the coverings.  “You two got any other bright ideas?”

“Let’s see if they damaged the other stove as much as this one,” Heyes began.  “If not, then I suggest that we all squeeze into the first car and fortify it as much as we can, using what we’ve got left.  It’ll be tight quarters, but at least we’ll be all safe together.”

Grim-faced, Lom nodded.  “Let’s get started.”

“We’ll just have to keep the Miwoks off the roof and away from the stove or it’s gonna be an awfully cold night for everyone,” Artie added as he left to check out the stove.  He returned in a moment and announced, “They didn’t get it – we just might make it through the night!”

“Okay, everyone,” Lom called out.  “Gather your belongings, as well as anything that can be used to cover or tuck into the broken windows, to make a comfortable place to sleep and that you might be able to be used as a weapon – if the situation calls for it.  We’re going to be squeezed in here together like sardines, but at least we’ll have body warmth to share.  Clancey brought a broom and dustpan so we can sweep up the glass and whatever else is on the floor.”  

The lawman turned his back to the rest in order to face Heyes and Artie.  “This is gonna be a tough night for all of us,” he spoke quietly.  “I was hoping that maybe Thaddeus might be back by now and we'd at least have some good news to help lift folk's spirits. We could all use something positive with everything that's been happening.”  He drew in a deep breath and looked at Heyes.  “You think he’s run into any trouble?”

Heyes gave the lawman a long look before he answered.  “He knows what he’s doing, Lom.  He won’t let us down.”

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 5_hh_t10

“I know I’ve only known him for a little while,” Artie grinned, “but he sure looked like he was able to handle almost anything – or anybody.”

His remark made the other two men chuckle; they nodded in agreement.

Lom turned to his newest deputy.  “Well, Artie, let’s go see what we can do to help folks get settled before it gets dark.”

Artie nodded.  “I saw some old blankets back in the last car where the doc is.  I'll go get 'em and start passing 'em out to folks.”

“Good idea.  I'll start delegating jobs to help keep their minds occupied.”

“You two go ahead; I’ll be right with you.”  Heyes stepped away to the doorway, to stare out in the direction his partner had disappeared.  The sun had already set, dipping behind the snow-capped mountains and darkness was settling in.

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 6_hh_t10

“Lom’s right; it’s gonna be a long night.  Sure hope you’re doing better than us, Kid,” he whispered.  “Watch your back and bring us some good news – we sure could use it!”

~*~*~*~*~*

Sometime later, apart from the rest of the group, Heyes, Lom, and Artie were once again huddled together, talking quietly.

“Got any ideas on which two it might be?” Lom inquired.

“It's easier to say who it isn't at the moment.”  Heyes shrugged.

“Yeah.”  Artie nodded.  “We can rule out the women and Jack – that's six.  That narrow's things down a bit.”

“Pretty sure that Doctor Gordon and Preacher Brown can be ruled out, too,” Lom mused.  And, we might as well take the whole train crew off the list while we're at it.  That cuts our number of suspects almost in half.”

“Well, we're looking for two men,” Heyes ventured.  “Two men who know each other and work together.   On the other hand, if they wanted to throw us off the scent, they might not be traveling together.  It'd be a good tactic so we wouldn't suspect them.”

Lom frowned.  “That would definitely make our job harder.  We'll continue this conversation in just a few minutes.  Right now it's time for me to talk to the passengers.”

Lom stepped back, cleared his throat, and called out, “Now that things have quieted down some, I need everyone to stop what they’re doing and gather 'round long enough so we can talk things over before anything else happens.”

Once everyone had drawn near, he continued, “There’s no reason to state the obvious, we all know what’s going on.  The only thing we need to find out is who’s responsible for our situation.  My two deputies and me will be coming around to speak to all of you – and that includes the women – ‘cause you never know what you know that might help us figure things out.”  He glanced around meaningfully, then turned to look out the door.

“I don’t think any of you will, but I’d definitely advise you not to try to sneak off.  Think real hard about who you’d rather deal with – us or the Miwoks.”  He paused to allow that to sink in.  “Go on back to your seats and try to relax.  We’ll be by to see each of you as soon as we can.”

Muttering and casting glances at each other, the passengers returned to their places.  The three lawmen followed them with their eyes.

“Let’s split up; it’ll take less time to find out what we need to know,” Lom suggested.  “I’ve already got a few suspicions and they top the list of suspects.  Like we said before, some folks we can cross off the list right away, like William, Alice and Jack Sinclair, and Doc Brown – he boarded the train with the Sinclairs.”  

Lom looked at each man in turn, then continued.  “We need to get everyone’s story.  You never know what someone might've seen or heard.  Our main goal is to find out where each one boarded the train and, if they were in Auburn, what they were doing there.  Don’t be fooled by tall tales; they might try to confuse you with lies, so beware.  Joshua, why don’t you start with your card-playing pals, Mike and Trace, and his lady friend, Rose.  You want to take those two soldiers, Matt and Joe?”

Heyes nodded.

“Artie, you work on Preacher Brown and Hooter, then chat with Clara and Ida.  I’ll tackle Charles McAllister, Sam Winston, and Beth and Andy Carter.  Of course, I’ll have to play it by ear as far as speaking with the Carters, so I’ll leave them until last.  Doc said she was doing better, but the danger's not over.  No need to get her upset unless we absolutely need to.”  He paused and counted on his fingers.  “That’s seventeen - all the passengers.  Add the train crew of four – who aren’t under suspicion.  Then there’s the three of us, plus Thaddeus; that makes it an even twenty-four in total.”

Lom took a deep breath, then exhaled slowly.  “And somehow, we have to find the two who are guilty ones.  Remember, the main questions we need answered are: if they got on in Auburn, what each one was doing there.  Did they have business there?  Can they provide an alibi?  And, who could have visited the Miwok reservation?  That should help us narrow it down some.  Once we’re done, we’ll meet back together in the second car, compare notes and alibis, and talk things over.  Okay, deputies, good luck.”

The trio made their way back inside the first car, splitting off in different directions.

~*~*~*~*~*

Two men sat on the floor, apart from the others, playing a game of cards.

“They’re getting ready to start asking questions,” the man in the blue shirt stated quietly as he absently tossed a card on the pile.

“Yep,” agreed the man in the brown jacket.

“Wish we hadn’t done it,” blue shirt mumbled.  “How’d we know anybody was gonna die?”

“Wish we hadn’t either, but wishing’s not gonna change anything.  It wasn’t like we did it on purpose, you know.”  He gave the other man a hard stare.  “Hey, look at me!”  Waiting until the man had complied, he said succinctly, “It was an accident.”

Blue shirt didn’t look convinced.  “They’re gonna ask us questions – we won’t be able to answer ‘em!  We’re gonna get caught!”

“We will if you keep yapping about it!” brown jacket hissed, darting a quick look around to make sure nobody had noticed them.  “Just stick to our story; that’s all we have to do, and things will work out just fine.”

“Wish I could believe that.”  Blue shirt sighed glumly.

“Get your mind off it.  Think about something else until it’s our turn.  And, for your sake, I hope you remember what’s at stake if you mess things up!”

Blue shirt lifted his eyes to direct a belligerent glare at brown jacket.  “You think I don’t know that?!  I’ve got way more to lose than you – I won’t mess things up!”

“See that you don’t.”  Another card was tossed onto the pile.

~*~*~*~*~*

Last edited by royannahuggins on Fri 07 Jul 2023, 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow
Post Wed 05 Jul 2023, 8:45 pm by royannahuggins
THE KID

The Kid was making his way by horseback over the mountain, traveling as fast as he dared while navigating through the unfamiliar terrain.

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 7_wint10

The snowstorm was relentless.  It gained momentum; the winds continuing to blow the snow sideways, buffeting the Kid at an angle.  Visibility swirled in and out.   At times it was a complete whiteout, forcing the Kid to tuck his head deep down inside his coat and hope for the best.  Even with the warmth of his coat, he shivered as the howling wind swirled the snow into his face, ice crystals forming on his lashes.  Finally, he was forced to halt long enough to tie his bandana around his face so that it covered his nose and mouth. Curry grit his teeth and cursed his way through the pain the effort caused.

“We’ve done pretty good so far, eh, Lightnin’?”  The Kid patted the mare’s neck and squinted through the trees, up through the swirling snow.

“Too bad we don't have a full moon to help light the way, eh, girl?”  When there was a lull in the wind, he reined in his mount and cocked his head to listen.  Hearing the sound of a waterfall in a nearby stream as it cascaded over the rocks, he added, “We’ll make a quick stop long enough for you to get a drink and me to fill my canteen, then we’re back on the road.”

The howls of a pack of wolves caused him to hesitate before he slid out of the saddle.  His right hand rested on his gun, then he relaxed.  Lightning wasn’t so like-minded; she snorted and pawed at the ground, nervously dancing sideways.

“Easy, girl; they’re close, but if we keep up a steady pace, they won’t be causin’ us any grief.”

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 8_kc_s10

As Curry glanced in the general direction of where the train was, he wondered aloud.  “Heyes, sure hope you and the others aren’t in any more trouble than when I left you; I'm almost there.”  Hampered by his injured arm and favoring it, it was with great effort that the Kid swung himself up and into the saddle with only the help of a fallen log.

“Well, we’d best get goin’, Lightnin’; time’s a-wastin’ and we still have a long way to go and a short time to get there.”

~*~*~*~*~*

THE TRAIN

Darkness has set in; the passengers have settled down to wait out the night.

Clancy, Bob and Ed are taking turns guarding the car that Dr. Gordon and his two patients are in.

A few of the braver passengers lifted a corner of the window covering every now and then to peek outside, but quickly dropped it back in place.

“It’s hard to tell if it’s a tree, a shadow, or an Indian brave out there,” Matt whispered.

“That’s it – they’re like sneaky shadows on the snow!” Joe agreed.

Hooter spoke up.  “Even if you can’t see ‘em, you can bet they’re out there.  And another thing, those Indians won’t be as cold as us,” he continued.  “They’ve got things we don’t; things like animal skins and pelts to keep ‘em warm, not to mention they can hunker down next to a nice, warm fire and fill their bellies with a hot meal.”

His arms wrapped around his stomach, Matt groaned.  “Don’t mention food, please!”

~*~*~*~*~*

Clara and Ida were huddled together under a blanket, their shawls wrapped around their heads and draped around their necks.  Clara lifted a corner of the cloth covering their window.  “In any other circumstances, even in the dark I would say the snow looks like frosting on a cake.”

Ida linked arms with her friend.  “Here we sit, the two of us, time slipping away.  These moments may be all the time we have left in our lives, Clara.  You know, I used to wonder where and when my life would end.  It’s funny, but in a hundred years of wondering I never dreamed it could be here, like this.”

“Are you afraid?”

“Afraid?” Ida echoed, her tone thoughtful.  “I was, but not now.  However, I think it’s possible I might be afraid again; it’s strange.”

A comfortable silence fell between them until Ida broke it.

“You know, I’ve always envied you.  So pretty, so many beaus...  When we were in school all the boys flocked around you.”

“And I always envied you.  So smart; so clever.”

Ida turned to look into her friend’s eyes.  “How long have we known each other?  Fifty years?”

“More like sixty, dear.”  Clara smiled and patted Ida’s arm.

“I worry about that nice young man – that deputy.  Thaddeus is his name, I think.  What do you think might be happening to him right now?  Do you think he got through?”

“I can’t say for sure, but I hope he did.  I don’t think it would hurt if we should take a moment and say a prayer for him, do you?”

The two women held hands, bowed their heads, then closed their eyes.  As they began their petition, their quiet words floated out to other nearby passengers, several of whom bowed their heads as well.

~*~*~*~*~*

CAR #4

“Bob, would you go fetch that preacher and tell him to come on back here?”

“Sure thing, Doc.”

A few minutes later Bob returned with the clergyman in tow.

“You wanted me?”  Preacher Brown stepped inside the door.

“Well, he asked for you.”  Doc Gordon indicated the man he was working on.  “His name’s Fred.”

The preacher shifted nervously and glanced at the fireman.  “Is he dying?”

“Not sure,” the physician shrugged.  “There’s a chance he might pull through.  There’s something you can do while he’s still breathing; something that will bring him comfort.”

“I can’t offer him any comfort!” Brown protested, then added quickly, “I work the trains!”

“Ah, so you’re not really a man of the cloth – you’re a confidence man.”  He turned to look Preacher Brown straight in the eyes.  “You can still help; read to him from that Bible you're holding in your hands.”

“What?!  NO!”  He gulped, looking like a rabbit caught in a snare.  “I just carry the book around – I don’t go that far!”  He began edging his way backwards towards the door.

“Git yourself back over here and do what any decent man would do!” Doc thundered.

With a resigned sigh, the preacher trudged his way over to the injured man.

“I’ve... gotta lot... to account... for... Preacher,” Fred managed to gasp.

“We all do, my son.”  Brown laid his hand on Fred’s shoulder and began to read the 23rd Psalm.  When he finished, he closed the book.

“Easing a man’s mind can make the difference between life and death,” the physician stated with conviction.

“All I wanna do is get to Wyoming, get on another train, and keep on doing what I’m doing.  I’m just a small fish in a big pond.”

Doc caught Preacher Brown’s eye.  “I don’t judge anybody.  You did good, Preacher.”

Brown released a deep sigh.  “Some might say differently, Doc.”  He turned to leave, but before he could open the door, Lom stepped inside.

“Doc, I hate to bother you, but do you have enough time to fix a dislocated shoulder?”

“Well, if Preacher Brown will stick around long enough to help, it shouldn’t take us too long.”

Lom and Doc Gordon looked to the preacher.

“Sure.”  Brown nodded.

~*~*~*~*~*

A SHORT TIME LATER...

Armed with powders for the pain and his arm in a sling, Lom turned back at the door.  “This feels much better, Doc.  Thanks for setting my shoulder and for your help, too, Preacher.  Much appreciated.”

“Take it easy, Sheriff; it'll be mighty sore for awhile.”

Preacher Brown nodded.  “I'm glad I was around to give the doc a hand.”

“There's all kinds of things a man can do if he just looks around.”  Doc Gordon looked Preacher Brown in the eyes.

The clergyman nodded and exited the room.  

Closing the door behind him, Lom made his way back to the front of the cars.

~*~*~*~*~*

AN HOUR LATER...

Lom, Heyes and Artie had their hands full keeping order as they interrogated the passengers.  Things finally reached a point where the confrontations elicited a stern warning from a glaring Lom.

“You’re skating on thin ice!” the lawman thundered.  “The whole lot of you – and if you’re not careful, you’re gonna fall in!”

Ignoring the lawman’s threat, Charles McAllister stepped forward angrily.  “Let’s send the guilty ones out to save the innocent – send them out to the Miwoks and we can all go on about our business!  Why should we all have to pay for the indiscretion of two miscreants?”  He shook his fist, then continued. “The way I see it, there are only two people who can’t account for their whereabouts, and it’s those two…” he pointed an accusing finger in the culprits’ direction, “over there!”

Matt and Joe gasped, their eyes widening in surprise as they realized it was them he was singling out.

Some of the other passengers nodded in agreement, while others spoke out.

“I saw the two soldiers selling their wagon.  I bet they had the tainted liquor in it!”
“I heard them say they sold it to get train fare back home.”
“Those two boys are hardly old enough to drink.  I heard ‘em talkin’ ‘bout workin’ ranches so they could get some money saved up.”
“I say they can’t get their stories straight!”
“I think we deserve some answers from them!”

A few of the men strode forward, grabbed the pair by the arms and held them in place as Matt and Joe struggled in earnest to free themselves.

“We don’t have to answer none of your questions!” Matt shouted, glaring at everyone.  “We didn’t do anything!”

“Yeah – ain’t we s’posed to be innocent until proven guilty or something?” Joe blustered.

“We're just soldiers!  The only thing we’re guilty of is desertion!” Matt yelled in frustration.  “An’ we’re gonna go back and take care of fixin' it as soon as we can!”

“Well, I’m not about to go pointin’ any fingers!” Andy muttered quietly before he slipped away to return to Beth’s side.

~*~*~*~*~*

“How’s she doing, Doc?”

“I just gave her something to help her rest, so she might be a little drowsy.  At the moment, she’s experiencing some cramping and–”

“That’s what happened last time!” Andy cried, his face paling.

The physician put a calming hand on the young man’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze.  “She had a shock to her system when she fell. The pains are usual in these circumstances; there’s no need to worry, son.  Both mother and baby are doing good.”

Andy looked down tenderly at his wife.  “I made so many mistakes...” he said softly, taking her hand in his.

“If you can admit that at your age, young man, then you’re way ahead of us older folks.”

“She wanted to settle; I didn’t know what I wanted.  I just walked away.  Took some time, but after I thought things over, I remembered something my pa said.  He told me that one day I’d understand what it meant for someone to be buried on land that he owned.”  He glanced up at the doctor.  “I waited too long to figure things out; now it might be too late.”

Both men turned as they heard the loud voices raised in anger.

Beth opened eyes that were filled with worry.

“It’s okay; everything’s gonna be alright.  The doc says so, and I believe him.”  Andy smiled down at her.

“Is the train moving?”

Andy shook his head.  “Not yet; soon.  Listen.”  He leaned down close to her.  “I have something to say.  I want to tell you that I love you.”  He kissed her on the forehead.

“I know; you show me every day.”  She looked up into her husband’s eyes, her own filled with a combination of love and concern.  “You don’t have to tell me that.”

“Yes, I do!” Andy insisted.  He gripped her hand a little tighter.  “It’s something I want you to remember, no matter what happens.”

“Andy, you’re scaring me.  What do you mean?”

He leaned closer, kissed her on the mouth, then turned away to leave.

He had only made it as far as the door when it swung open, and Lom entered.  “Hold it right there, young man.  I have some questions for you to answer.  Doc, is his wife able to talk with me?”

“As long as you don’t go upsetting her, Sheriff.  But you’ll have to wait for a bit; I gave her a sedative so she could get some rest and it's just starting to work.”

“That’s okay.  Andy, I can start with you.”

Andy swallowed hard.  “Yes, sir, Sheriff...”

~*~*~*~*~*

Heyes, Lom and Artie stood just inside the second car, quietly comparing notes.

The sheriff looked at his new deputy.  “What did you find out, Artie?”

“Clara and Ida were delightful to talk with, but we know it wasn’t them.  They didn’t have anything helpful, either.  Same story with both Preacher Brown and Hooter.  They got on the train at different times and were strangers before that.  Hooter has some thoughts about who he thinks the guilty ones are, though.  Said it’s not Joe and Matt.”

“Joshua?”

“Well, Jack might’ve been the most talkative one of the bunch.  He’s disappointed that you haven’t needed his help as deputy, Lom.” Heyes grinned.  “His parents don’t have a clue who it is.  Neither Trace or Rose had anything worthwhile, or helpful, to say.  Trace is more concerned for his own hide and Rose just wants to get outta here alive.  Both of them got on the train a couple stops after Auburn.

“As for those two army boys, Matt and Joe, after listening to them explain what was really going on, I don’t think they’re the guilty ones, no matter what other folks are saying.  They were just stupid enough to run off from the fort, but all this has convinced them that they’re gonna head there the first chance they get.  And, they didn’t get on the train in Auburn.  The last name on my list was Mike...”  He paused.

“And?”  Lom quirked a brow.

Heyes looked into the lawman’s eyes.  “Let’s just say I have my suspicions.  Oh, he talked up a good story. but that only made me more inclined to consider him.”

“Hmm.”  Lom still held Heyes’ gaze as he spoke.  “That fits in with what I’ve concluded, too.  Charles McAllister may be a hothead, as well as an instigator that can sure get folks riled up, but he’s not the guilty one; neither is his assistant, Sam.  They were both busy horse trading and got on before Sacramento.  

“After I spoke with them, I went back to see how Beth was doing.  Doc Brown had given her a sedative, so I didn’t bother her, but Andy was there.  He and I had a nice little chat just outside the car.  He was as jumpy as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs!  Tried to blame his nerves on his wife being bad off, but he couldn’t give any of my questions a straight answer.”

Heyes nodded.  “You thinking what I’m thinking?”

“I am.  It all fits together and makes sense.  We know there are two suspects.  Mike and Andy are brother-in-laws.  They both had opportunity and I bet we can prove that they got on in Auburn, too.   Andy tried real hard, but he didn’t have a good alibi.  What did Mike say?”

“Claimed all three of ‘em got on the train a couple stops before Auburn.  Too bad you couldn’t ask Beth, just to see what she had to say.  Somehow I don’t think it would match either Mike or Andy’s alibi.”

“I doubt that it would either.”  Artie shook his head.  “What are we gonna do?”

“Well, we’re definitely not gonna turn them over to the Miwoks.  I’ll see if Hooter will make one more trip out to speak to the chief and his son.  I’ll leave you two in charge.  Don’t let anyone do anything stupid, okay?”

Both deputies nodded as Lom left to find Hooter.

*~*~*~*~*

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 9_sunr10

“Well, Lightnin', we didn't do too bad; the sun's just risin' over the mountains.”  The Kid breathed a sigh of relief as he crested the last hill before he would start a downward journey towards the train.  He paused.  

“Looks like nothin's changed with the train; it's still blocked in.”  He glanced at the mountain on the other side of the train.  “And the Miwoks are still camped out waitin' for the deadline to get here.”  He reached down and patted the mare's neck.  “We made it, Lightnin’; our job's almost done.  Now all we havta do is stay outta sight of the Miwoks.  If we go along that tree line right over there, and stay behind those big boulders, I think we’ve got a good chance of not bein' discovered too soon.  C’mon, girl; let’s go rescue that train!”

*~*~*~*~*

Lom and Hooter made their way cautiously towards the Miwoks, who stood stoically at the top of the hill.

“Any idea how this’ll go?” Lom spoke quietly.

“Depends.”  Hooter shrugged.

“Yep, that’s what I figure, too.”

Both men fell silent as they neared the spot where the Miwoks stood and came to a standstill.

“Chief Soaring Eagle.”  Lom nodded.  “Gray Wolf.”  He nodded again.

“You have come alone?  You did not bring the guilty men with you?” Gray Wolf spoke the words accusingly.

“No, I did not.  Tell your father that we think we have figured out who the two men are and we will take them into the next town where they will be judged by our law.  There will be a trial with a jury – like your counsel – and they will be judged.  We cannot hand them over to you; it would be wrong.”

Hooter translated the lawman's words.

Gray Wolf translated to his father.

“Also tell him that it really was an accident; the men didn’t mean to hurt anyone.  They didn’t know the whiskey was bad and both of them are very sorry that they caused harm to your people.  Even so, if the jury finds them guilty, they must be punished.  Please let us take them with us so justice can be served.”

Hooter translated.

Lom and Hooter waited while Gray Wolf translated.

Out of the side of his mouth Lom whispered, “Is he getting it right?”

Hooter nodded.  “Yep.”

Gray Wolf and Chief Soaring Eagle exchanged words back and forth.

“Should I be concerned?” Lom whispered.

“Well...”

Behind them, shouting and voices raised in anger were heard.  A gunshot rang out.  

Both men pivoted about to see what the commotion was.  Their eyes widened with shocked surprise.

Flanked by Preacher Brown and Mike, Charles McAllister was forcibly shoving Matt and Joe off the train and onto the ground.  

Matt and Joe struggled, both desperately protesting:  

“No!”
“It wasn’t us!”
“We're innocent!”
“We didn’t do nothin’!”
“Please! You gotta listen!”
“We don't wanna die!”

Passengers peered out, eyes filled with panic, from the train’s windows.

Mike, brandishing a gun, fired a second shot.        

“What in the name of Sam Hill – where in tarnation are Artie and Joshua and why didn’t they stop them!?” Lom exploded.  He turned back to the Miwoks.  “Tell your father we’re sorry and to keep everyone here – those two men are not the guilty ones!”
He pivoted back and began to walk as fast as he could in the deep snow; Hooter kept pace alongside him.

“You think they believed me and will listen?” Lom panted as he plowed through the drifted snow.

“Can’t say, but you’ll know if they’re coming, that’s for sure!” Hooter replied.

Hooter’s words were barely out of his mouth when they were followed by whooping and what sounded like war cries behind them.

Everyone beside the train froze in place and looked up.

Lom and Hooter kept moving through the snow.

*~*~*~*~*

A third shot rang out.

Passengers ducked back inside the train.

The raucous group outside the train dropped to the ground, flattening themselves into the snow, except for Trace, the only one left standing.

From the direction of the locomotive, a horse and rider drew up beside the people on the ground, Colt in hand.  

Trace turned to see Mike, howling in pain, holding his bleeding hand, his discarded gun laying near him in the snow, then turned back to the rider – Thaddeus Jones.

The injured Mike glanced at his weapon.

“Don’t do it, mister!” Curry warned, keeping his Colt trained on Mike.

Lom and Hooter arrived, panting from their exertions.

“You made it, Thaddeus!” Lom gasped.  “Great timing.”

“Did you ever have any doubts?” Curry quipped.  He edged Lightning closer to the train and maneuvered her so that his injured arm was out of sight.  "I see that you figured out who the two guilty men were.  I've got a telegram in my pocket that says you're right."

"We did."  The sheriff had a faint smile on his face as he picked up Mike's weapon, tucking it into his waistband.

The Kid shifted his gaze to the Miwoks that lined the hilltop.  “Should we be worried about them?  They look ready to attack.”

Frowning, Lom glanced over his shoulder.  “No, they may look and sound angry, but Hooter says he doesn’t think they’ll attack.”

“You don’t sound very sure ‘bout that, Lom.”  The Kid looked around.  “Hey, where’s Joshua and Artie?”  He holstered his gun before easing himself down carefully, making use of the nearby steps of the train, then quickly stepped aside as the lawman approached.

“That’s what I’d like to know!” Lom snapped as he brushed by Curry and went up the stairs into the railcar.  He stopped dead in his tracks at the sight that met his eyes and bit back a smile.  “Howdy, boys.  Got yourselves into a bit of trouble, eh?”

Two pairs of eyes looked back at him.

Lom strode forward and removed the bandana gags from their mouths.  Despite the lawman's efforts, the hint of a smile broke through.  “So, where are the keys to the cuffs?”

Chagrined, Artie answered, “Trace tossed ‘em somewhere over near the stove and all the passengers were too busy watching what was going on outside to be of any help,” he grumbled.

Lom searched around; it wasn’t long before he was unlocking the cuffs.  After Artie was freed and had stepped away, Lom leaned in close to Heyes and whispered, “Why didn’t you use your lockpick?”

“I would have!” Heyes hissed.  “But cuffed with my hands behind my back and a gag in my mouth, I didn’t have a way to let Artie know I had one!”

Unable to prevent a chuckle, the lawman shook his head.  “How’d they manage to get the drop on you two, anyway?”

“It was a group effort, Sheriff.”  Rejoining them, Artie ducked his head.  “Some of the passengers panicked.”

“Sure did,” Heyes agreed.  “They caught us off-guard.  McAllister got Artie and Trace tackled me.  It was over before we even knew it had began.”

“C'mon, we’d better get back outside and see what’s going on.”  Lom led the way, with Artie following right behind.

As his boots hit the ground, Heyes spied his partner leaning against the train and grinned.  “Glad to see you made it back, Thaddeus!” he called out.  

Hearing Heyes' voice, Curry made a half-turn in his direction.

As he reached out to clap the Kid on the back, Heyes noticed the bloodstains on the jacket and frowned.  “What happened?”

“Nothin’ much.”  Curry gave a dismissive shrug.

“Uh, huh.”  Heyes pinned the Kid with a look and arched his brow.  “Doesn’t look like 'nothing much' to me.”  

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 10_hh_11

Curry sighed, glancing away from his eagle-eyed partner.  “A Miwok arrow.”

Heyes winced.  “Any of it still in there?  What happened?”

“No, and it’s a long story that'll havta wait; we don’t have time for me to tell you right now.”  He turned away to listen to the conversation taking place a few feet away.

“Hooter, why didn’t the Miwoks charge?” Lom asked as they rejoined the group.  “They sure sounded like they were going to.”

“I’m guessing that those whoops we heard were more of a warning, not an attack cry.”

“Lucky for us,” Lom huffed.  He turned to the small group of men who had caused the commotion.  “No thanks to any of you!  Do you have any idea what you almost caused?”

“Well, you weren’t doing anything, and we weren’t about to die for guilty men!” McAllister blustered.

“You don’t even have the right men, you bunch of idiots!  Matt and Joe are completely innocent.”

“What do you mean?” McAllister frowned.  “They practically confessed!  Nobody else seemed guilty.  If it’s not those two, then who is it?” he demanded.

Lom’s gaze shifted to Mike.  “He was standing right beside you.  He was even helping you to almost get two innocent men killed.”

Charles took that in and pursed his lips.  “So, who’s the other one?” he demanded.

“It’s me, Mr. McAllister.”

Everyone turned to see Andy standing on the stairs.  His face was pale, but he stood tall.

“I’m sorry for all the trouble we’ve caused.”  He drew in a deep breath.  “I think it’s time my brother-in-law and me give ourselves up to the Miwoks.”

“No, you’re not.”  Lom shook his head.  “I’m going back to finish talking to them and see if they’ll listen to me.  Maybe I won’t get interrupted by anymore stupidity this time.”  He gave McAllister a hard glare.

“We had no choice!” blustered Charles McAllister.  “None at all!”

“You had a choice, mister – and you made it!” Lom snapped.  “But it was the wrong one!”

“The animal just comes out in a man in certain circumstances,” Hooter commented.  “I don’t think we’ll be changin’ anytime soon.”

Lom motioned his new deputy over.  “Artie, I need you to escort Mike back to Doc Gordon and ask him to take a look at his hand.”

“Sure thing, Sheriff.”  Artie held onto the man's good arm with a firm grip and began the walk back to the rail car.

Lom turned to the trapper.  “C’mon, Hooter; let’s go see if we can somehow manage to salvage this mess!”

“Uh, Lom, wait a minute!” Curry called out and stepped forward, close enough so that only the sheriff could hear his quietly spoken words.  “I need you to tell the Chief that three of their braves are tied up in the line shack–”

“Who's tied up where?!” Lom thundered.

“Sheesh, Lom!”  The Kid hissed, then shot him an aggrieved look as he continued speaking low.  “Maybe you could just yell at 'em from here and save some time!?”  Ignoring the lawman's glare, he continued, “Just hear me out, okay?  The three braves were trackin' me; I got the drop on 'em, well, almost. One of 'em shot me with an arrow...”  As Lom opened his mouth, Curry held up a hand.  “So, I tied 'em up and left 'em in the line shack – with a fire in the stove – and told 'em I would tell their tribe where they were.  So that's what I'm doin’ now, askin' you to let 'em know so they can go rescue 'em.”

Looking the Kid over and seeing the bloodstains on his coat, Lom raised a brow.  “Are you alright?”

“Pretty much.”  Curry shrugged, not meeting his eyes.  “Just let the Chief know, okay?”

“We'll finish this discussion later.”  The sheriff turned and motioned for Hooter to join him.  The two men began their trek out to the Miwoks once more.

Heyes stepped forward to join his partner.  "You sure know how to liven things up, don't you?" he grinned.

The Kid just gave him an eyeroll.

*~*~*~*~*

“Tell your father that we know who the two guilty men are and we'll take them to the next town.  They'll have a trial before a judge, like your counsel.  If they're found guilty, they'll be punished.  If you try to take the men from me now, there will be bloodshed and many more lives will be lost.  We don’t want that and I don’t think the Chief does, either.”

Gray Wolf translated, then listened while Chief Soaring Eagle spoke.  He turned to face Lom.

“Chief say Miwok have more honor than to let innocent people suffer.  He say white man sheriff have honest face and speak words of truth.  He trust you get justice for Miwok people.”

“Thank you, Chief.  I promise it will be done.”  He held his hand out to the elder Miwok.

After a moment, Chief Soaring Eagle stepped forward and shook hands with Lom, then spoke to his son again.

“My father say, 'As sun melts ice, so too melts anger of Miwoks.  You are man of honor.  Take your people; go in peace.'  He say he have trees removed from the tracks now.”

“Tell your father thank you.  He is a man of honor, too.  I will keep my promise that justice for the Miwoks will be found.  There's one more thing before we leave.”  Lom took a deep breath and turned to speak quietly with Hooter.  “I think it'd go better it you tell them the story about their braves.  We can't afford anything getting lost or mixed-up in translation.”

His expression puzzled, Hooter looked at him.  “What braves?”

“Just translate what I say and, hopefully, things will be understood.”

“I'll do my best, Sheriff.”

“My deputy was traveling to the telegraph station and three Miwok braves followed him.  One shot him in the arm with an arrow.  The deputy tied them up in the line shack, with a hot stove to keep them warm, and they need to be rescued.”

Hooter repeated Lom's story to the Miwoks.

Gray Wolf nodded and translated.  Once he was through, the Chief and his son had several minutes of conversation back and forth. Finally, Gray Wolf nodded again and turned back to Lom and Hooter.

“Chief say he understand; braves will be found.  Deputy have good sense.  Miwoks respect that.  Now, go in peace.”

Chief Soaring Eagle and Gray Wolf turned and walked away, with never a backward glance.

With relieved expressions, Lom and Hooter watched the pair until they disappeared over the ridge, then made their way back to the train.  As they drew near, they could hear Andy speaking.

“I know I already said this, but I can’t tell you how sorry I am.  My brother-in-law and me bought that whiskey in good faith.  We didn’t know it was bad, I promise!  We thought we could sell it on the reservation and make a little money, that’s all.  Knowing that people died because of us...” he faltered.  “What I mean, is that I’ll never be able to forgive myself for being responsible for their deaths.”

“Make sure you tell the judge that, Andy,” Lom advised.  “Maybe he’ll be in a listening mood.  I’ll be sure to let him know it really was an accident.”

Andy gave the lawman a look of gratitude.

“However,” Lom continued, “I can't say the same applies to Mike, seeing as how he tried to get two innocent men killed in order to protect his own hide.  Things might not go as well for him.  I'm sorry, but I can't honestly say that I can back him up the same as you.”

His face clouded over, Mike nodded.  “I understand, Sheriff.”  He gave the lawman a half-smile.  “Doc Gordon says Beth and the baby are both gonna be just fine, but if it’s okay, I’d like to go back and spend what time I’ve got left with Beth?”  He looked at Lom for permission.

Lom nodded.

*~*~*~*~*

EPILOGUE

Once the trees had been removed from the tracks, the Snow Train Express resumed making its way through the snow, the plow continuing to perform its job to perfection.

The windows were still covered, but the passengers had been able to spread out again in all three cars once all the stoves had been repaired, put back in working order and the glass had been swept up.

The passengers sat talking quietly or trading stories of the events of the past few days.  There were also a few folks who had other things to think about.

“Phew, that was close!” Joe breathed.  “We were ‘bout one minute away from bein’ skinned alive!”

“Way too close!” Matt agreed, wiping his brow with his shirt sleeve.  His brow furrowed, he looked at his friend.  “Hey, how much stockade time do ya think we’ll havta do?  What's the penalty for desertion, anyway?”

“I don’t care!” Joe declared fervently.  “After everything we’ve been through these past few days, I don’t think I’m gonna mind bein’ locked up safe and sound inside the stockade!  And besides, we've got each other and, whatever it is, we can make it through together, right?”  He stuck his left hand out toward his friend.

“Together!” Matt grinned, clasping the proffered hand within his own.

As the train continued on its way to Cheyenne, both young men settled back in their seats, their expressions thoughtful.

*~*~*~*~*

In the rear of the third car, Sam Winston approached his employer, his hands clenched into fists at his side, his steps steadfast, his face serious.  

“I thought I knew you, Mr. McAllister!  Then I saw the look on your face when you grabbed those boys and threw them off the train.”  He drew himself up to his full height and gave the other man a look of contempt.  “Mr. McAllister, you are NOT the man I thought you were – I quit!”

Charles McAllister was rendered speechless as he watched Sam walk away, head held high.

*~*~*~*~*

Seated alone, Rose stared out a corner of the window, watching the scenery as it flashed by.

A moment later, Trace sat down across from her.

The woman kept her face averted.

“I’ve been thinking, Rose.  Life’s too short to wait for important things.”  He reached forward and clasped her hand between his two.  

Rose's gaze remained locked on the window.  

He tugged playfully on her hand, his voice taking on a coaxing tone.  “Come on, Rose; look at me... please.”

With a deep sigh, her impatience thinly-veiled, Rose finally turned to look at him.  “What do you want, Trace?”

“Is that any way to talk to a man who’s about to propose?” he teased.

“Propose what?”

His brow furrowed, Trace looked at her, frowning.  “Why, marriage, of course, you silly goose.”

Rose arched a brow.  “Marriage?  To you?”

“Now you’re just being contrary!  Of course, to me – who else?”

Rose yawned delicately.  “I don’t think so.”

“Why?” Trace demanded, affronted, and released her hand.

“Let’s see... First, you left me to fend for myself when we were attacked by the Miwoks.  Second, you didn’t even think about checking on me after it was over.  Three, you helped to overpower those two deputies, push those two boys off the train – you were ready to hand them over to the Indians just to save your own miserable hide!  Those are just a few of the reasons, however, I can keep going if you’d like?”

Trace held his hands up in mock horror.  “Oh, no; that’s quite enough.  I thought we might make a handsome pair, but it seems I was wrong.”  He shrugged.  “It was nice while it lasted, wasn’t it?”

“Nice doesn’t even come close.”  Rose turned her attention back to the window again as Trace walked away to find another place to sit.

*~*~*~*~*

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 11_hh_10

Heyes leaned over the seat and looked down at his sleeping partner.  Reaching down, he poked the Kid’s good shoulder with his finger.
“Hey, Thaddeus.”

Curry shot up, wincing and grabbed his wounded arm.  “Ow!”  He glared at Heyes.  “What’d you do that for?  I was asleep!”

“Were you?” Heyes queried, eyes wide with innocence.  “I wasn’t sure.  I thought I heard you talking, but I couldn’t quite understand you.”  A smile flitted across his face, but vanished in an instant.

“One of these days...” the Kid warned.  “Well, now that I’m awake, whaddya want?”

“Nothing, really.”  At Curry’s scowl, he amended, “Tell me about getting shot with the arrow.  You’ve been avoiding the subject.”

“I wasn't avoidin' it, I just wasn't talkin' 'bout it.”  The Kid sighed heavily, leaned back in his seat, and yawned sleepily.  “I was tryin’ to outrun two Miwoks.  Did the backtrack trick.  It worked – well, almost.  Didn’t know there was a third scout; he shot me with an arrow.  I made it to the telegraph office and got the messages sent off to the army and Wyomin’.  Owen, the telegraph operator, patched me up so I could get back without bleedin’ too much.  Took the shortcut.  Got back in time to help save the day.  End of story. Now will you let me go back to sleep?”

“You don’t have to be all proddy about it,” Heyes huffed and leaned back in his seat.

“You try gettin’ shot with an arrow and bein’ cheerful!” the Kid snapped.  A moment later his shoulders slumped. After a deep sigh, he added, “I’m sorry; you’re right.  Seems everybody I run into – Lom, Hooter, Doc, Artie, Jack... heck, even Ida and Clara – they all want me to tell ‘em the whole blasted story!  It was hard enough the first time; I just don’t wanna keep relivin’ it.”  He glanced down at his arm.  “This is enough of a reminder.”

“Aw, it’s just a bit of hero worship,” Heyes grinned.  “Don’t give it another thought.  It’ll die down soon enough.  I’ll even give you something to take your mind off it.  I’ve been talking with some of the passengers and it seems this train ride has changed a lot of lives.  Imagine that – a simple train ride that can change something as important as a life.  What do you think about that?”

When there wasn’t any answer, Heyes leaned forward, then looked down to see that the Kid was already asleep.

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 12_kc_10

Heyes grinned as he sat back in his seat.  “It's nice to know that some things will never change.”  

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow 13_hh_10

*~*~*~*~*

THE END

NOTES:

First, I'd like to give a very appreciative nod and a multitude of thanks to Gunsmoke for inspiring this ASJ adventure.  The two 90 minute episodes aired in Season 16, episodes 6 & 7 (Oct. 1970) - and I loved them!  I never dreamed that I'd be writing an ASJ VS story about it 53 years later!

The train used in these shows is the 1880 train which runs between Hill City and Keystone, SD.

These episodes were mostly filmed in the Black Hills, SD.

Verdi, CA shares a state border with Nevada.  It really is the site of the first CA train robbery on November 4, 1870. Short article in Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdi,_Nevada

A short 36 second YouTube vid is available to show the still-existing filming site - at least in 2003.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpC0aV6Fg-w

A BIT OF TRIVIA about these episodes:

The episode won a Western Heritage Wrangler Award for the musical score by John Parker.

In the last scene, after the credits roll, all of the glass window panes in the train cars seem to have been miraculously replaced.

When the cast is shown at the end of this episode, their characters' names are shown under the actors/actresses who played them instead of the usual shot in Dillon's office.

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on moonshadow’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

Nightwalker and Kattayl like this post

Wonderful ending to an exciting mystery! I sure didn't suspect those two and glad the husband is at least remorseful. The Kid is amazing what he went through and still came out with the victory. Loved getting to know the passengers and what happened to them after this eventful train ride. I really loved the notes at the end - love learning as I'm being entertained! Thank you so much for getting this episode ready to air and for ALL your hard work as a VS producer - it wouldn't happen without you!
thumbsup

Kattayl likes this post

Ooh exciting end. Nicely done :)
Mystery on Snow Train Express
Post Sat 08 Jul 2023, 3:58 pm by Kathy K
Oh that was an exciting and well written story! The cast of actors was well chosen and I was kept in suspense as to the true culprits till the end. I certainly could feel Kid's pain from the arrow and his worry about getting those telegrams sent in time. Thank goodness he arrived back just in time to save those boys from being turned over to the Indians. The Author's Note was quite interesting as well. Really well done!
Thank you for the exciting, well-written episode. Loved Lom's frustration with the passengers acting against his orders. Heyes' concern for the Kid was understated by always there. The Kid got to do some of his action hero stuff, which is always good. Nice ending with the epilogue. I enjoyed this episode from start to finish. - Thanks!
goodjob train
Mystery on the Snow Train Express
Post Sat 08 Jul 2023, 6:24 pm by Laura
A great follow up. What a journey for Kid to have to make with an arrow in his arm. Cannot even imagine how painful it was breaking off the arrow in his arm. Owen was a great character, he did a great job of taking care of 'Thaddeus'. They had a lot of characters to sort out who the guilty ones were. Yep, at least one of them learned from their mistakes even if the other one didn't. It is good that both the Miwok chief and Lom recognized an honorable man when the spoke with one. Great story.
Review
Post Fri 14 Jul 2023, 1:36 am by Kattayl
Totally enjoyed both episodes of this episode! Curry was heroic and determined and the suspense genuine. Liked that the preacher was a flimflam man who 'worked' the trains but still found he could help and bring comfort.

Post Tue 18 Jul 2023, 9:16 am by Nightwalker
Love this story. A wonderful mix of mystery, adventure and true ASJ feeling.
A delightful ending to a very enjoyable virtual season. Kudos!
Post Thu 14 Mar 2024, 1:25 pm by Dan Ker 1
One of the most likeable features of Heyes and Curry is the fact that they are moving around as well in the law abiding as non-abiding parts. Knowing both sides they can always acknowledge actions of the respective other side,
pointed out by you in,
“We’re all just doin’ our jobs, right? You're protectin' your friends and I'm protectin' mine.
I’m not most men.
Like me, they were just doin’ their job. I couldn’t blame ‘em for that."

Very much in the ASJ spirit is the fact that, especially relying alone on their own person as well as together, they are not unvincible.
Lovely to watch how Heyes manages to distract attention away from his own moment of abstraction.

Once again I love your description of Lom.
A big grin crept on my face the moment Curry had to admit to Lom he had committed a not so legal action by tying up the Indians and imprisoning them into the line shack - I could easily imagine Lom's reaction by saying,
"We'll finish this discussion later."
Like little school boys answering to the teacher.

The ending is impressive and well thought out by explaining the impacts of what the event caused to the lives of the passengers with following truth in it:
Sometimes you let yourself be blinded by a person's shell.
Maybe just for days, months or even years.
But at some point there always comes a moment when you see someone's true face and this is often hurtful, frightening and disappointing - better late than never!

Mystery on the Snow Train Express - Part 2 by moonshadow

Page 1 of 1