Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Mistaken Identity by Penski

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Mistaken Identity by Penski Empty
PostMistaken Identity by Penski

Mistaken Identity by Penski Hh_kc_38

A case of mistaken identity becomes even more complicated when Heyes disappears suddenly without a trace and Kid Curry is blackmailed and coerced into a murderous plot.

Starring
Pete Duel and Ben Murphy
As Hannibal Heyes and Jed “Kid” Curry
Mistaken Identity by Penski Pete_a11

Guest Starring

Mistaken Identity by Penski Joe_ga10
Pete Duel as Joe Garby

Mistaken Identity by Penski Lom11
James Drury as Lom Trevors

Mistaken Identity by Penski Gov_ha10
Governor William Hale as Himself

Mistaken Identity by Penski Elliot10
Elliot Morgan as Himself

Mistaken Identity by Penski Thomas10
Thomas Durant as Himself

Mistaken Identity by Penski Gene-w10
Gene Wilder as the Sheriff

Mistaken Identity
by Penski

Mistaken Identity by Penski Quarte10

The night was dark with just a quarter moon hanging in the sky.  A carriage came down the lane and stopped on a bridge.

“Psst, hey - are you here?” the driver called out in a loud voice.

A man dressed in dark clothes walked up from the creek.  “I’m here.”

“Is the job done?”

“Yep.”  The second man pulled a newspaper from a coat pocket and handed it to the driver.  “Made front page.”

The man in the carriage struck a match and read the headline “James Parker Murdered”.  He blew out the flame and pulled out a bundle of money.  “Here’s what I owe you.”

The man in dark clothing took the money and pocketed it.  “Nice doin’ business with you.”  He removed a cigar, lit the end and, as he puffed on it, a smile of satisfaction appeared on his face.  As the cigar ash flared in the darkness, a familiar dimpled face with dark hair was revealed.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry, covered in trail dust and sweat, yawned as he slowly rode into a bustling town. As he glanced around cautiously, he saw a merchant sweeping the boardwalk, another one was washing windows, and other folks were hanging red, white and blue banners in front of buildings.  Two men raised a large banner across the street reading ‘Welcome to Pine City’ and began tying it into place.

“Huh, it ain’t the 4th of July.  Wonder what they’re celebratin’?” Curry mumbled to no one in particular.

He rode past the jail and noticed the sheriff outside watching the decorating of the town.  The Kid nodded when the lawman looked his way.  “Phew, he doesn’t look familiar and doesn’t seem to know me.”

Curry reined his horse to the right, in front of the Silver Dollar Saloon.  An out of tune piano could be heard inside with equally tone-deaf men singing a round of Home on the Range.  He slowly dismounted and stretched before taking off his hat to slap the dirt from it and his clothes.

The Kid led his gelding to a trough and allowed him to drink.  He loosened his bandana from his neck and dipped it into the water.  Using the wet piece of cloth, he wiped his face and hands, then ran his fingers through his matted hair.

Once the horse drank its fill of water, Curry tied it to the hitching post.  “I’ll take you to the stable once I get my thirst quenched,” he promised.  “Heyes shouldn’t be here for another day so we can rest up some.”

The Kid yawned as he walked into the saloon.  He waited a moment as his eyes adjusted to the darker room.  Taking a quick look in the room, he raised a brow when he saw a familiar person at the bar with his back to him.  He motioned to the bartender for a beer as he sidled next to his partner.
Mistaken Identity by Penski Kc_ign10

“Heyes, how’d you make it here before me?  Rock Springs is further than Red…”

The man turned to face the Kid.  He looked like Heyes – dark straight hair, dark blue shirt, same weight and height, black hat, a slight dimple – but it wasn’t his partner.

“Sorry, I thought you were someone I knew.”

The bartender brought over a beer so the Kid pulled a coin out of his pocket and set it on the counter.  He took a quick swallow of beer before heading to a back corner table.

The man at the bar watched Curry walk away and noticed the tied-down Colt and the confident swagger.  He grabbed his beer and followed him.

“Mind if I sit down?” asked the stranger, who also wore his gun tied down.

“Yep.”  The Kid took a deep drink of beer.

The man pulled out a chair and sat down while Curry glared at him.  “They say everyone has a twin out there.  Who do you think I look like?”

“A friend.”

“You called me Heyes.”

The Kid shook his head.  “No.  I said, ‘Hey, how’d you get here faster than me.’”

The man furrowed his brow.  “You’re a gunslinger.”

Curry sipped his beer.

“I can tell by the tied-down gun, the walk and your glare.  Which one are you?”

Silence answered the man.

“Tom Horn?  Billie Bassett?”

Curry turned slightly away, as if bored with the conversation, and watched a nearby poker game.

“What's the matter, am I gettin' too close?  Makin' you uncomfortable?”  He eyed the Kid thoughtfully as he picked up his drink and took a swallow.  “Not talkin', huh?  The thing is, I just haven't decided if you're a lawman or an outlaw.”

Curry finished his beer.  “Neither.  Just someone who knows how to protect himself.”  He got up and walked out of the saloon.

The man followed him out the door towards the hitching post.  “Nope, I've decided. You’re an outlaw… or were an outlaw.”  Garby stepped closer and lowered his voice.  “Since we both know I DID hear you call me Heyes, I'd stake money on it that you're Kid Curry.  Why, I bet if I went into that sheriff’s office, I’d find that your description matches the one on Curry's wanted poster.”

The Kid's expression never altered as he turned to face Garby.  “We're done here.”

“No.”  Garby shook his head and grinned.  “No, we're not.  My name's Garby.  Joe Garby.”  He extended his hand.  “I'm sure you've heard of me.”

Curry ignored the hand and the question as he untied the reins from the hitching post.  Before he climbed up in the saddle he fixed Garby with a glare, his eyes glacial blue.  “Yeah, I’ve heard of you.  Wanted for murder.  You’d be savin’ the sheriff a heap o’ trouble jus' by walkin’ into his office.”

The grin never left Garby's face as he nodded.  “Guess it takes one to know one.”  He cocked his head to the side.  “You interested in a job?”

“Nope.”

“It’s a good payin’ job.  Will just take an afternoon.”

“I don’t hire out my gun.”  Kid Curry mounted his gelding.

“Not even for $1,000?”

“Not even for $10,000.”  Curry kicked his horse and headed out of town at a lope.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry slowed the horse down when he saw the sign reading ‘Pine City – 2 miles.’  He turned around in the saddle and saw no one following him.  A short distance ahead was a copse of trees.  He encouraged his gelding into the tree line and hopped off, letting the reins hang down.  Throwing down his hat, Curry began to pace.

“Joe Garby!  What’s he doin’ in town?  And what job does he want me to do?  Good payin’… I bet!  Of all the towns to wait for Heyes.  Dang, Garby looks a lot like Heyes!  If I didn’t know better, I’d say they were brothers.  He even had a black hat.  I should’ve noticed it didn’t have a band like Heyes’.  Now what?  Try to connect with Heyes in another town?”  The Kid looked at his horse.  “You’re about spent and need a rest.  If I go back, I can stay away from Garby and watch for Heyes.  We can leave as soon as he gets here.  I can have another horse and supplies ready to go.  Heyes won’t be happy about not restin’ up, but he’ll really hate bein’ in the same town as Joe Garby.  Garby’s up to something and whatever it is, it's a sure bet it ain’t good.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A clean Kid Curry sat by the window watching the town prepare for a celebration as he waited for his partner.  Several plates and glasses littered his hotel room.

“Come on, Heyes.  You should’ve been here by now.  I’m gonna go crazy if I have to spend another day…”

A familiar looking man rode up to the livery.

“Heyes?  Or is that Garby?”  Curry squinted.  The sun reflected off metal on the brim of a black hat and the man rode a chestnut mare.  “About time!”

The Kid hurriedly packed a few things lying around in his saddle bags.  He checked his gun and twirled it before holstering it.  “Just gotta pay for the room and get to Heyes before he leaves the livery.”

Curry shoved his hat on his head and slammed the door shut behind him as he dashed/hurried down the hall.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry looked both ways as he exited the hotel’s back door.  Staying off the main street, he hurried into the livery’s side door.  He glanced around, but saw no one inside.  He went out to the corral where a teen was tending to horses.

“Hey, did you see a dark-haired fella with a black hat ridin’ a chestnut mare?” the Kid asked.

The young man shook his head.  “Nope.”

“Are you sure?  About my height wearing a gray jacket?”

“There was a dark-haired fella with a black hat this morning, but he was riding a gray gelding.”

“Must be Garby.  So where did Heyes go?” Curry muttered under his breath.  Louder, he asked, “If you see someone with that description riding a chestnut, will you tell him I’m waitin’ for him in the saloon?”

“Sure, mister.”

“Mind if I leave my gear here?  We’ll be ridin’ out when I find him.”

“Nope.  You can leave it by the back stall your gelding’s in.”

“Thanks.”  Curry started to walk away, but turned back.  “Did you see anyone checkin’ out my horse the last few days?”

“Not that I noticed.  It’s pretty much outta sight in that stall, but I’ve been keepin’ a good eye on him like you paid me to.”

“Appreciate it.”  The Kid walked into the livery and left his gear.  As he walked through, he checked out the other horses.  No chestnut mare or gray gelding.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Frustrated, the Kid went back to the hotel desk and threw down some money.  “Can I have my room back?  Guess I’m not leavin’ like I thought.”

“Of course.”  The clerk smiled and handed the key to him.  “Hope you enjoy your stay,” he stated as he watched the gentleman head up the stairs.

His arms full, Curry aimed a backwards kick at the door of his hotel room.  As it slammed shut, he threw his gear down on the bed.  Turning around, he went back to the door and used his key to lock it before he crossed the room to stare out the window.  Moving the curtains to the side, he looked out at the main street, the same view he had been watching for several days.  “Where’d you go, Heyes?” he whispered.  “I know I saw you.”
Mistaken Identity by Penski Kc_at_10

As he watched, the dark-haired man with the black hat came out of the livery.  He squinted, studying the man carefully and noticed no hat band.  “Garby,” he muttered.  “You’re up to somethin’.”  

The killer looked up at the hotel windows and nodded his head.  Curry quickly released the curtain and took a step back.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry went down the back stairs of the hotel leading into the alley.  He made his way into the café and sat down at a back table.

“Good morning, Mr. Jones!”  The corners of the girl's mouth curved up into a grin and her eyes lit up with pleasure.  “It's sure nice to see you're still in town.  Did you finish all of that paperwork that's been keeping you a prisoner up there in your room these past few days?”

Curry gave her an answering grin.  “Yeah, at least enough for a quick trip down here for breakfast.  Those four walls were closin' in on me!”

“What will it be this morning?” asked Sarah as she poured some coffee.

“Scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon,” Curry ordered.

“Coming right up!”  Sarah turned and went back into the kitchen.

The Kid opened a newspaper and began to read as he sipped his coffee.  “No headlines about a famous outlaw being captured or killed.  That’s good.”

The door opened and Garby walked in.  “I’ve been lookin’ all over for you.”  He sat at the back table opposite Curry.  “Coffee, pancakes, and sausage,” he told Sarah when she poked her head out of the kitchen door.

“What do you want, Garby?” Kid Curry hissed.

Garby smiled as he waited for his coffee to be delivered.  “Thought you left town.  There must be a reason that you stayed around but hid away up in your hotel room.”

“I told you I wasn’t interested in no job.”

“Missin’ a partner, Kid Curry?” Garby smirked.

The Kid’s eyes turned glacial.  “The name’s Thaddeus Jones.”

Sarah brought in two plates of food and poured more coffee before going back into the kitchen.

“Hmm…”  Garby cocked his head to the side and shrugged.  “Jones, huh?  Nice name.  Too bad, though.  See, I have Hannibal Heyes.”  Garby took a bite and chewed thoughtfully.  “I thought his partner was Kid Curry.”

The Kid laid down his fork with slow deliberation and raised his eyes to stare into Garby's.  “What do you want?”

“I need some help – insurance, you might say – that a job gets done.  Havin’ Kid Curry workin’ with me would be that insurance.”

“What about Heyes?”

“Heyes may not be bad with a gun, but he’s no killer, from what I heard.”

“Where is he?” Curry demanded, his tone even.

“He’ll be okay as long as my job goes well.  You can have your partner back once you help me.”

The Kid glared at the man sitting across from him.  “Who’s the target?”

“The one the town has been gettin’ ready for – Wyoming’s Territorial Governor, William Hale.”

“The governor?!  Why him?”

Garby shrugged his shoulders.  “Don’t know.  I don’t ask why when someone offers me a lot of money to be in a town for a week and then kill someone.”

“Who’s payin’ you?”

“That’s none of your business.  You help me kill Hale and you get your partner back alive.  A life for a life, you might say.”

“How do I know Heyes ain’t already dead?”

“You have my word on it.”

“That ain’t good enough.”

“Well, it’s gonna have to be good enough.”  Garby finished his meal and threw some money down.  “I can see why you thought I was Heyes – we do kinda look the same.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes woke with a groan.  He opened one eye and then the other to darkness.  A thin stream of light came in from above him.  He winced as he touched the back of his head.  Glancing around, he saw dirt and rocks.  “What the…”  He cautiously stood up.  “I’m in a well?”  His foot touched something.  Squinting in the dim interior, he saw it was a canteen.  Bending down, he shook it as he lifted it, relieved when he heard a sloshing sound.  “At least I have water.”  He walked around the small perimeter of his confines and kicked another object.  Heyes sat on his haunches as he opened a small package.  “And some jerky, too.”  He looked up.  “Too high to get out and it appears there’s a lid on the top.  Now why would someone put me in a dry well with food and water?”

“Hello!” he yelled as loud as he could.  “Anybody up there?”

The echoes of his own voice was the only answer Heyes received.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Hey, Jones – you in there?  Let me in!” Garby shouted as he pounded on the hotel door.

Kid Curry, gun drawn, opened the door a crack and then all the way.  “Do you have to be so loud?”

Garby shoved saddlebags at Curry.  “Proof I have Heyes – here’s his bags.  His horse is in the livery.”

The Kid took them to the bed and opened one side.  Seeing Heyes’ clothes, he sighed in resignation.

Garby went to the window, pushed the curtain away and whistled.  “You have a great view of the main street where the parade will be.”  He drew his gun and aimed it down to the street.  “Bang!”  He smiled.  “Yep, you’ll have a great shot at the governor.”

Kid Curry leaned against a wall with his arms folded.  “Didn’t say I would help you with this job.”

“Oh, you will if you want to see your partner alive.”

“Why do you need my help?  I’m sure you can do this by yourself.”

Garby turned from the window, releasing the curtain so it closed.  “I can, but someone is payin’ me a lotta money to make sure he’s dead.  The Secretary of the Territory, Elliot Morgan, will be with the governor. Have to kill him, too, since he has same political views as Hale and is next in line to succeed him if somethin’ happens to the governor.  Figure security will be too heavy to kill both of them.  Need you to shoot one while I shoot the other.”

“Who wants them dead?” the Kid asked.

“Told you that was none of your business.”

“Why would someone want them both dead?”

Garby shrugged.  “Don’t know and I don’t care.”

“So say I agree to kill one of them…”

“You will if you wanna see Heyes alive.”

Curry glared.  “So say I agree to kill one of them,” he repeated.  “Then what?”

“Well, you figure out the fastest and best way to get outta town with no one seein’ you.”

“And Heyes?”

“I’ll let you know where you can rescue him.”

“Rescue him?”

Garby smirked.  “Yep, rescue him.  He has enough food and water for a few days.  If he dies, let’s just say you don’t have to worry none about his body.”

“So help me, if anything happens to Heyes, I’ll come after you!”

Garby snorted.  “Don’t threaten me, Curry.  Not if you want to see Heyes again.”

The Kid took a deep breath.  “When's the governor comin’?”

“Three more days – on Saturday.”

“And Heyes will be alright until then?”

“He should be.”  Garby headed to the door.  “I’ll be in touch, but there’s a lovely señorita in the saloon this evening I wanna spend some time with.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes looked up to the top of the well.  “There has to be a way out.”  He reached up for a rock, which was part of the wall, and took hold of it.  He pulled down on it and added weight to see if it would hold.  It did.  Heyes smiled and scanned the wall for more rocks.  “This just might work.  With any luck at all, I’ll get myself outta here before dark.”  He carefully maneuvered his way up the wall of the well using several of the rocks as wedges.  He was about half way up when one of the stones gave way and he fell back to the bottom of the pit.
Mistaken Identity by Penski Hh_on_10

“Umph!”  He groaned.  “Maybe another night…”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The Kid went to the livery and fed his horse a half of an apple.  Seeing Heyes’ mare, he went inside the stall, gave him the other half while he petted the animal's neck.  “Where’d you leave Heyes, huh?” he whispered.  He bent down and lifted a hoof.  “Nothin’ here to say where you were.”  He lifted another and stared at the horseshoe.  “That’s it!  That right front shoe has a notch in it!  Remember Heyes bein’ real upset about it at the time, but not bein’ able to complain without makin’ it known why we can’t have distinct shoes.  He’ll be glad for it now since I'll have better luck trackin’ that notched one easier than all those other regular hoof prints.”

Kid Curry grabbed his tack and began saddling his bay.

“Can I help you, mister?” a voice inquired.

“Nope.”  Curry turned to see the boy who helped before with the horses.  “Thought I’d take my horse out to exercise.  I’ll bring him back in a few hours.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry slowly walked his gelding around the edge of town looking for a certain hoof print with a notch leading out of town, starting near the livery.  

“Too many dang horse prints around here!”

He ventured towards the east and scanned the dust road.  Continuing to his left, he occasionally knelt to take in the various prints.  Facing the west, he sat on his haunches and stared at a set of prints.  Looking up at the way they led, he saw rolling dry hills.

“I sure hope this is the way he took Heyes.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The Kid rode on the main path keeping an eye out for the notched shoe pattern.  Every time a small path went off in another direction, he dismounted and carefully walked the path for a few feet looking for prints in the dirt.  He noted a narrow winding path the grasses were overtaking.  He got down and kneeled in the dirt.  He smiled when he saw one of the horse's notched hoof prints.  “This has to be the way he took Heyes!”

The path meandered for a distance to a copse of oaks.  In the midst of the oaks was a barn leaning towards the west and a house with broken windows.

Curry dismounted his horse near the barn.  He peeked inside and saw nothing in the structure that was about to fall down.  He walked his horse to the house and loosely tied the reins around a porch beam.  After knocking on the door, he cautiously opened it with his left hand while his right hovered over his gun.  He entered the one-room cabin and noted the disarray of broken furniture and evidence of rodents, but no partner.

The Kid went outside and looked around.  A trail led away from the house up into the hills.  He untied the reins and swung onto his horse.

“He must’ve taken you up further.”  He reined his horse towards the path.

Curry stopped as he neared the well.  “He can’t be…”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes sat at the bottom of the well, his head leaning back against the wall and his eyes closed.  At the sound of a horse, Heyes’ eyes flew open.  He scrambled to stand.  “Hello!  Anybody out there?  Hey!  Help!” he shouted as loud as he could.

The lid lifted, and light flooded the well.  Heyes squinted his eyes against the brightness.  “Help!” he said in a raspy voice.

“Heyes, is that you?”

“Kid?”

Curry grabbed a rope from his saddle and threw one end down the well.  He tied the other end to his saddle horn.  “Heyes, loop the rope around yourself and hang on.”

Heyes tied the rope around his chest and held the rope.  “Okay.”  He slowly walked up the wall as the Kid and his horse pulled the rope up.  A minute later, Heyes’ hands grasped the wood sides of the well and Curry helped pull him up and over.

“About time you found me,” stated a dirt-streaked Heyes in a disgruntled tone.  He pulled his hat down to shade his eyes from the sun.  His face had the beginning of a beard covering it.
Mistaken Identity by Penski Hh_kc_37

The Kid handed him a canteen and his partner drank greedily from it.  “You okay?  Hurt anywhere?”  He glanced his partner up and down.

“Yeah, I'm fine; just have a headache and a dry throat.”

Curry frowned.  “Garby told me he left you water and food for a few days.”

“He did – there’s half a canteen down there and some jerky.  I didn’t know how long I’d be down there so I was rationing it out.”  Then it hit him what his partner had just said. Heyes furrowed his brow as he leaned back against the side of the well.  “Garby.  Joe Garby?”

“Yep, the one and only.”  Curry sat down near Heyes.

“He threw me in the well?”

“Yep.  You don’t remember?”

“No.”  Heyes shook his head and winced.  He gently rubbed the back of his head.  “I remember coming into town, going into the livery, and… nothing.  Woke up in the well.  Why’d he do that?”

Curry bristled.  “Because he wants me to help him with a job.”  

“What kind of job?”

“What do you think?  Heyes, you’re not gonna believe who he wants help killin’ – Governor Hale and Morgan, the Territory’s Secretary!

“What!?  Why?”

“Someone’s payin’ him good money to do it, that’s why.”

“But who?”

“He won’t say.”

“We gotta stop him, Kid!”

“I know!  But Garby had my partner and it was your life or the governor’s life.  Now that I have you…”

“We have to figure out who hired him.  If Garby doesn’t succeed, he’ll just hire someone else and then…”

“Our amnesty is gone!”

“We have to come up with a plan.”  Heyes stood and began to pace.  “How did he know you’re Kid Curry?  Did he recognize you?”

“Not at first.”  Curry hesitated.  “He looks a lot like you.  In fact, I thought he was you.”

“You didn’t?”

Head down, the Kid admitted, “I did.”  He looked up.  “But I was dead tired and had just come into town.  My eyes were still adjustin’ to the saloon bein’ darker than outside.  I thought I covered myself but he guessed I was a gunman and wanted to hire me for a job.”

Heyes sighed.  “I’ve seen Garby from afar and he doesn’t look like me.  Don’t know what you were thinking.”  He shook his head.

“Maybe you should start thinkin’ of a plan to save Hale and Morgan?”

“I am!  Give me a few minutes.”  Heyes continued to walk back and forth.  “First we have to find out who hired Garby.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry rode back into town alone in time to see Garby walking out of the Western Union with a paper he was reading.

Looking up, Garby spotted the Kid, put the note in his pocket, and walked over to the livery.  “Where’ve you been?”

“Exercisin’ my horse.”  Curry dismounted.

“More like lookin’ for a partner?”  Garby stood in the way and sneered.  “Didn’t find him, did you?”

“No.”  Curry walked around him into the stable leading his gelding.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Three spaced knocks on the hotel door had Kid Curry up and letting his partner into the room.  “I thought you were supposed to stay outta sight while I pretend to go along with Garby’s plan.”

Heyes went to the window and moved the curtain to look out on the street below.  “I am staying out of sight.  Garby’s playing poker so I thought I’d come up for a minute.”

“He got a telegram this afternoon.”

Heyes perked up.  “He did?  Think I’ll visit the telegraph office next.”

“Need someone watchin’ your back?”

“Nah, it’s an office, not a bank.”  Heyes walked back to the door.  “Better leave.”

“Where are you stayin’?”

“There’s a boarding house at the other end of town.”

Curry let him out.  “Be careful.”

“You, too.”  Heyes disappeared down the hall.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The streets were dark and quiet in the wee hours of the morning.  Heyes glanced in the sheriff’s office window and saw the deputy sleeping with his legs up on the desk.  Smiling, he walked over to the Western Union telegraph office and looked around.  Taking a lock pick out of his boot, he quickly opened the door and slid inside.  Heyes locked the door behind him, and grinned when he saw the blinds already down.  He lit a candle and began looking through the stacks of papers.

He was scanning the third pile of papers when he found a telegram to Garby in the middle of the stack.

To Joe Garby
Pine City

Meet me in Cheyenne once job is complete.

Durant

“Durant!  He’s behind all of this?”  Heyes slipped the paper in his pocket, blew out the candle and left.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Last edited by royannahuggins on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Mistaken Identity by Penski :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Mistaken Identity by Penski
Post Sat 01 Oct 2016, 12:59 am by royannahuggins
~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry woke with a start and immediately went for his gun hanging by his bedpost.  A hand held down his arm.

“Shhh… It’s me!” Heyes whispered.

Curry blinked.  “You could get yourself killed sneakin’ up like that.”

“Nah, you wouldn’t shoot your partner.”

“What are you doin’ here, Heyes, in the middle of the night?”

“Came to tell you it’s Durant who hired Garby.”

“Thomas Durant?  The owner of the Cheyenne Rio Grande Railroad?”

“The one and only.”

“He’s one of them that raised our bounties to $10,000.”

“And encouraged the law to add ‘dead or alive’ to our posters.”

“So he hates us.  Why would he want Hale and Morgan dead?”

“I don’t know yet, but I’m on my way to Cheyenne to see if I can find out anything.”

“We don’t have much time.”

“I know.  That’s why I’m leaving now.  I should be there in about six hours.”

“I won’t have your back.  You be careful.”

Heyes grinned as he opened the door.  “I always am.”

“Then why do you get in trouble when I’m not around?” Curry mumbled as he locked the door and settled back down under the bed covers.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes rode past the Cheyenne Club with its large veranda as he traveled down 17th Street.  He rode past mansions that lined each side of the street.  “The bartender said Durant lives somewhere around here,” he mumbled to himself.

He went to the end of the street and turned, taking in all the detail of each house.  A man carrying a package ran past him, toward a waiting horse and buggy.

Heyes smiled and pulled a paper from his pocket.  “Excuse me.  I have to deliver a message to the Thomas C. Durant household, but it has the wrong address on it.  Can you tell me which house belongs to Durant?”

“Sure can,” answered the delivery man.  He pointed back towards town.  “Durants live about two blocks down on the right side.  Can’t miss it.  The missus must love the color pink because she has all pink flowers in the front yard.”

“Thank you!”  Heyes nodded.

“Just make sure you go to the back.  Most folks on this street get mad if a delivery is made to the front door.”

“Thanks for the tip.”

Heyes continued back to the center of town.  “There it is!”  In front of him was a large brick Victorian house with colorful gingerbread trim and a black wrought iron fence.  “The guy was right - can’t miss all the pink flowers.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry sat in the corner table of the saloon sipping a beer as he watched men drinking and gambling.  Weaving through the crowd were several women in bright-colored satin dresses serving drinks.

A pretty blonde in a sapphire blue dress trimmed with black lace sashayed over to the corner.  She ran a finger up and down Curry’s arm seductively.  “Can I get you anything, cowboy?” she purred.

The Kid smiled.  “Not tonight, I’m afraid.  Meetin’ someone.”

“Maybe later?” she pouted.

“Maybe later,” he agreed with a cocky grin and a pause as his eyes met hers.

She smiled back.  “I’ll be waitin’ over by the bar if your someone don’t show up.”

Joe Garby walked into the saloon and looked around the room.  Seeing Curry, he made his way over and stopped the blonde gal to order a drink before sitting down.

“About time you got here,” grumbled Curry.  “How’s my partner?”

“Probably doin’ fine.”

“Probably?  You don’t know?”

Garby sat back as the blonde returned with his drink and took the proffered glass.  “Do you really think I’m gonna check on him, riskin’ you followin’ me over there?  I ain’t no dummy.  I left him with some water and food.”

“Enough food?”

“I dunno.  Garby lifted his shoulder in an indifferent shrug.  “I left him with what water and jerky I had on me.  He should last a few days.”

“He better be okay or I’ll hunt you down, Garby,” Curry hissed.

“Don’t threaten me, Curry!”

“That’s not a threat; that’s a promise.”

The silence was deafening as the two gun men glared at each other.  Garby was the first to look away.

The Kid swallowed the rest of his beer.  “So what’s the plan?”

“Do you know what Hale or Morgan look like?”

“I’ve seen a picture of the governor in the paper,” Curry admitted.  “He’s startin’ to go gray and has a bushy mustache.”  

“Yep.  Morgan has dark hair with a long beard and mustache.  I’ll go for him since I know what he looks like and you go for Hale.”  Garby finished his beer, held up his glass, and got the eye of the bartender for another.  “You’d have a good view of the governor up in your room.  Kill him and run out the back of the hotel to a waiting horse.”

“What about my partner?”

“What about him?”  Joe paid the server and took the proffered beer.

“If I’m hurryin’ outta town, how will I know where to find Heyes?” the Kid hissed quietly.

“Oh that.  I guess I could leave a note on a tree.  But you might decide to get the note and not do the killin’.  Hmm… I guess we’ll have to meet afterwards in a day or two.”

“No!  We’ll meet right after.”

“That’ll be kind of dangerous, don’t you think?”

“I think it’ll be dangerous for you if you don’t tell me where Heyes is as soon as possible!”

“Okay, so we’ll meet west of here by the fork in the road right after the job is done.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes, dressed in dark clothes, lurked in the shadows on the grounds of the Durant estate in the darkness.  As the last light upstairs went out, he made his move towards a side window.  “This has to be his den,” he muttered.  Slipping a pocket knife out of his boot, he jimmied the lock and slowly opened the window.  He hoisted himself up the frame and crept inside.  

Noticing an impressive desk, he smiled and began rummaging through the drawers.  “Nothing in there.”
Mistaken Identity by Penski Hh_ope10

He glanced around the room and began checking the pictures.  A large framed picture of Durant’s father swung away from the wall, exposing a safe.  “There you are!”  Heyes removed his hat, put his ear against the cold metal and began to manipulate the dial.  He sighed with delight when he heard the first click.  Soon he pulled down the lever and opened the safe.  Inside, among some cash and paper, was a leather book.  Heyes fanned the pages and saw it was a diary.  “Let’s see if this says what you’re up to.”  Taking out a small candle from his pocket, Heyes lit it and settled down in a concealed corner to read.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry was waiting when the livery stable doors opened in the morning.

“You’re awful early today,” exclaimed the young teen.

“Yeah, I thought I’d go for a ride today.”

Need help saddlin’ up your horse?”

“Nope, I can do it.”  Curry walked to the back corner of the stable and grabbed the reins from a hook outside the stall.  “Hi there,” he greeted his gelding.  “I hate all this waitin’ around so how about the two of us goin’ for a long ride.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

As the sun was setting, the Kid walked out of the livery and over to the café.

Joe Garby came up from behind Curry and pushed him into an alley.  “Where have you been?” he demanded.

The Kid shook off the arm holding him.  “Don’t you ever do that again!”

“Lookin’ for Heyes again, weren’t you?”

“What if I was?” the Kid spat.  “Can’t blame a guy for lookin’ for his partner.”

“Take it you didn’t find him?”

“Do you think I’d be here alone with you if I had?  Now let me go eat before the café closes or you’ll be real sorry.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry woke to a door opening and reached for his gun.

“It’s just me,” Heyes whispered as he slid into the room and quietly locked the door behind him.

“I swear you’re gonna get yourself killed by sneakin’ in like that at night!”

“Nah, I told you before, you wouldn’t shoot your partner.”  Heyes yawned.  “Okay if I sleep a few hours in here?  I gave up the room at the boarding house.”

“As long as you’re out first thing in the mornin’ so Garby don’t see you.”  The Kid adjusted his pillow and sat up, leaning on the headboard.  “What did you find out in Cheyenne?”

“Plenty.”  Heyes removed his gun belt, hanging it over the bedpost, and sat to remove his boots.  “I read Durant’s diary.  He really hates us.”

“That’s not news.”

“He somehow heard Hale was going to give us amnesty.”  Heyes removed his shirt and unbuckled his pants.

“Bless him.  I knew I liked him.”

Taking off his pants, Heyes laid down, leaning against the foot of the bed.  “There’s more.  Durant hired Garby hoping he looked enough like me…”
Mistaken Identity by Penski Hh_kc_35

“He does!”

“He wanted him to hang around town so everyone saw him.  He was even supposed to suggest he IS me to a few.  Then he’s supposed to kill the governor and the murder will be pinned on me when Garby disappears.”

“So everyone will describe you as the killer - you’ll get the blame and there goes the amnesty.”

“Along with a hanging, if I’m ever caught.”

“What are we gonna do, Heyes?”

“We’re not gonna let Hale get killed.”  Heyes turned around and got under the covers.  “Let me get a few hours of sleep and I’ll figure something out.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Along with the rising of the sun came the rising of the citizens of Pine City.  Curry noted
the last minute preparations by the merchants with the sweeping of the boardwalk and washing of windows as he walked to the café.

He sat at a table in the back, and Sarah came out from the kitchen.

“What’ll you have this morning?” she asked coyly as she put a cup of coffee down on the table.

Curry gave her his best smile.  “What do you suggest?”  

“Well, Ma makes the fluffiest flapjacks around and you haven’t tried them yet.”

“Okay, I’ll try them with some sausage and an egg over easy.”

Joe Garby walked into the café and over to the table as Sarah delivered Curry’s food.  “That looks good – I’ll have what he’s havin’.”

“Yes sir.  I’ll bring your coffee right away.”

Garby sat down.  “Ready for today?”

“Do you really think we should be seen together now?” hissed the Kid.

“Just makin’ sure you’re still in town and ready to help.”

“Well, I wouldn’t be here and goin’ through with this if you didn’t have my partner.”

Both men remained quiet as Garby’s coffee was delivered and Sarah went in the kitchen.

“Yeah, I was lucky I met up with your partner as he was headin’ to the livery.  That was some mighty fine plannin’ on my part to take him and use him as leverage so you’d do the job,” Garby gloated.

“What time does the parade start?”

“The governor’s train arrives around one o’clock they’re comin’ to this hotel after a carriage ride to check out the town. I’d say be ready for anything at 1:00, or when you hear the train whistle announcin’ their arrival.”

Garby’s plate of food arrived just as Curry finished his breakfast and was getting up to leave.  He put money down on the table and whispered, “I’ll see you at the fork in the road afterwards.  Don’t be late!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry paced in his small hotel room.  He took out a pocket watch and glanced at it.  Quarter to one.  He put it away and paced some more, his steps taking him near the window when a click as the lock opened on his door had him reaching for his gun.

Heyes poked his head in and then the rest of his body.  “It’s just me.”  He walked over to the window and glanced outside through the lacy curtain.  “Have you spotted Garby?”
Mistaken Identity by Penski Heyes_10

“Yeah, he’s over by the livery.”  Curry pointed out the window.  “See him by the hayloft door?”

“Yeah and he’s wearin’ a dark shirt and light pants with his pants tucked into his boots, just like me.”

“So what’s your plan, Heyes?  Besides not lettin’ Hale get killed.”

“That’s just it – not letting Hale get killed.”

Curry glared at his partner.  “That’s it?”

“Well, I’m planning to go up behind Garby and get him.  You’re back up in case I can’t stop him.”

“You want me to shoot Joe Garby?” Curry asked incredulously.

Heyes sighed.  “Only as a last resort.”  He glanced sideways.  “Look, if it’s either Hale or Garby, we have to be on the right side of the law.  Garby’s a known killer so it’ll be a favor to society.”

Kid Curry shook his head in disbelief.  “That’s the best you can come up with?”

“Sorry, I didn’t have much time to come up with a better plan and there’s too many factors with the crowd out there.  I do have an ace up my sleeve.”  

“What’s that?”

“Lom.  I wired him when I was in Cheyenne.  I’m hoping he can make it in time to help.”  

“Why Lom?”

“Well first, he can confirm that Joe Garby is NOT Hannibal Heyes, though how anyone could ever mistake the two of us is beyond me.  And second, Lom can talk to the governor, put in a good word on behalf of the two fellas who just saved his life.”

Curry nodded.  “That’s an ace all right.”

“About Garby…”  Heyes pushed his hat up.  “You can shoot him from here, if you have to, right?”

The Kid lifted an eyebrow and cocked his head toward his partner.  “You DO know who you’re talkin’ to, right Heyes?”  He rolled his eyes.  “It won’t be an easy shot, but yeah, I can shoot him if I have to.”

“When this is over, we’ll meet at that homestead where you found me.”  Heyes walked towards the door.  “Is your horse ready?”

“Yeah, it’s packed and ready to go.”

“No matter what happens, protect Governor Hale and Morgan.  And watch your back!”  Heyes opened the door and left.

“You, too, partner,” Curry said to the closed door.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A train whistled and Kid Curry checked his gun, turning the cylinder and adding a sixth bullet.  He opened the window and saw Joe Garby nod to him from the livery.

“What are you waitin’ for, Heyes?” Curry whispered.  “You can get Garby any time now.”

A band started to play from the train depot.  Pine City’s citizens and folks from nearby ranches lined the streets.  The red, white, and blue banners swayed with the gentle breeze.

Curry saw a few carriages coming around a corner, pulled back the curtain and took aim at the livery.  “Hurry up, Heyes!”

The Kid watched as Joe Garby aimed his gun at the carriage.  Before Garby could shoot, Curry fired, hitting the assassin at the same time he fired.  Garby’s bullet veered from a heart target to grazing Elliott Morgan’s arm.  Garby, meanwhile, grabbed his right arm as he glared at Curry.  Using his left hand, he took aim again at the carriage.

Another shot rang out and Joe Garby fell out of the hayloft door into the street.  

“Got him!” shouted Durant with a smoking gun.  “I shot Hannibal Heyes!”

The street exploded into screams and shouts!   A saloon dove cried out, “It’s Hannibal Heyes!  He shot the governor!”

“Hannibal Heyes?” another spectator questioned.

“He told me he was Hannibal Heyes!  Heyes shot at the governor!”

News of both Elliot Morgan’s and Hannibal Heyes’ shootings spread like wildfire through the crowd.

“Yep, he was drunk and told me he was Heyes, too!” another man spoke up.

The sheriff hurried over to the carriage.  “Are you all right, sir?”

Governor Hale nodded.  “I need a doctor for Morgan.”  He turned to the driver.  “Get me to a doctor immediately!” he demanded.

The carriage driver shouted, “Out of our way!  Comin’ through!  Out of our way!” as he nudged the carriage through the crowd.

The sheriff then pushed his way through a ring of men.  “Let me through… let me through!”  Moments later he was looking down at a man in the street.

“He’s dead, Sheriff.  I checked for a heartbeat and didn’t feel one.  Shot right in the chest,” confirmed a bystander.

“Thanks, Mike.  Now the rest of you back up and move away,” the sheriff shouted.  “Everyone calm down and go home!”

Slowly and reluctantly the crowd began to disperse.

The sheriff walked over to a gloating Durant who was telling people around him, “Yes, indeed - I shot Hannibal Heyes!  Saw him in the hayloft up there shooting at the governor and knew I had to stop him before he killed anybody.  I knew it was Hannibal Heyes right off, yes I did!”

“Okay, break it up, folks!  Go home!” the sheriff said.  “Mr. Durant, I think we need to have a talk, sir.  Can you please come over to my office?”

“Certainly, Sheriff!  It sure feels good to have another horrible outlaw dead, doesn't it?  I’ll be glad to tell you my version of the death of Hannibal Heyes.”  Durant followed the sheriff towards the jail.

The Kid quietly shut the window and left his hotel room to head for his waiting horse.  “Where’s Heyes?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Where in tarnation are you, Heyes?” Kid Curry sat in the dilapidated barn alone with his horse.  “Well, that went terribly bad!  Hannibal Heyes plan!” he snorted and shook his head.  “What was he thinkin’!?  He wasn’t – that's what!”  He stood up, agitated, and checked his gun.  “Now what?”

Curry’s gelding whinnied when a horse was heard approaching.  The Kid quickly closed the chamber and went to the door, aiming his gun down the path.  He sighed in relief when he saw Hannibal Heyes riding around the bend.

“It’s about time you got here!” Curry exclaimed as he exited the barn.  “Where were you?  You were supposed to get behind Garby and stop him!  What kind of plan was that anyways?”

Heyes pulled up and dismounted.  “Okay, not one of my better plans.  I was just about to make my move when you killed Garby.”

“I didn’t kill Garby.”

Heyes furrowed his brow.  “You didn’t?  Then who did?”

“I thought you did at first, but then I heard someone braggin’ about killin’ Hannibal Heyes.”  Curry holstered his gun.  “I couldn’t see with the crowds.  Who got shot in the carriage?”

“I’m not sure, but I think it was Hale or Morgan.”

The Kid closed his eyes.  “Well, there goes the amnesty.  We may as well leave for across the border.  Maybe South America.  Or Australia.  Heard they speak English…”  He turned toward the barn to get his horse.

“Hold on, Kid.  Lom’s here and knows where we are.  Said to stay put until he comes.”

“Did Lom make it here in time to see what happened?”

“Yeah, I saw him right after I left you.  Guess it delayed me longer than I thought.”  Heyes sighed.  “I saw Durant in town, too.”

“Great!” Curry exclaimed sarcastically.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Curry were chewing on jerky and hard tack in the barn as the sun began to disappear in the western sky.

“Guess we’re staying the…”

“Shhh!  I hear someone comin’!”

Both men got up and hurried to the door of the barn with their guns out.  A lone rider rode around the bend and the former outlaws holstered the guns.  They came out of the barn and waited for Trevors.

“What happened back there, Lom?  Who got shot?  Are Hale and Morgan all right?” Heyes barraged Trevors with questions.

“Slow down!  I’ll tell you all that happened in a minute.  Give me a moment to get down, will you?”  Lom Trevors dismounted his horse and went to a saddlebag.  He pulled out some sandwiches and a bottle of whiskey.  “I’m hungry and need a drink.  I’m guessing you two do, too.”

“Is the news that bad, Lom?” Curry asked as he took a sandwich.
Mistaken Identity by Penski Lom_tr10

“Well, let’s just say it’s not the best news.”  Trevors sat down on a wooden crate near the barn’s entrance and took a sip from the bottle before passing it over.  “Sit down and eat.  Have a drink, too.”

Heyes took the bottle while Curry pulled two other crates from the barn for them to sit on.

“It’s a good thing you wired me, Heyes.  I was able to identify the body as Joe Garby and put to rest any rumors of it being you.”

“Appreciate that, Lom.”

“That’s the good news.”

“Who got shot, besides Garby?” the Kid asked.  “And who shot Garby dead?  Neither of us did.”

“As far as the sheriff and I can figure, Garby got a shot off towards the carriage, but just nicked Elliott Morgan in the arm.  He’ll be all right.”  

“That’s because of your shot, Kid.”  Heyes took a drink and passed the bottle before taking a bite of his sandwich.

“Kid’s shot?”  Lom lowered the sandwich he was about to bite.  “Who did you shoot?”

“I winged Garby when I saw him aimin’ for the carriage.  Made his aim off so he missed his target.”

“So that’s why there are two bullets in him.  I was wondering.”  Lom took a bite of sandwich.  “As for Joe Garby, Durant shot him dead.”

“Durant shot Garby?”

“Yep.”

“But why brag he killed Heyes?  Didn’t he know it was Garby he shot?”  Curry asked.

“Heyes, you were right.  Durant found out about the imminent amnesty plan and decided to do something about it.  He hired Joe Garby because he looked enough like you…”

“He doesn’t look anything like me!”

“Yeah, he does.  Well, he did.”

Curry smirked at his partner.  “I told you so.”

Lom continued, “Garby was supposed to make a few folks believe he was Heyes so when Hale and Morgan were killed, you would be blamed.  It would have worked, too, if I hadn’t been there.”

“Durant killed his own man.  I heard he has a ruthless reputation for squeezing friend and foe for personal gain.”  Heyes passed the bottle after taking another sip.

“Think about it… Dead men don’t talk.  You don’t have to pay them, either,” Trevors replied.

“So is anything gonna happen to Durant?” Curry asked.

“Nope.  As far as the sheriff is concerned, Durant killed a known killer, wanted dead or alive, and did society a favor.”

“Told you that’s what folks would think if he died,” Heyes reminded his partner.  “But what about Durant plotting to kill Hale and Morgan?  Heck, Morgan could have died.”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?”  Curry repeated in disbelief. “Nothing's gonna happen to Durant?”

“Durant’s powerful and we can’t prove anything.”

“But…” Heyes protested.  “His diary.  I read his diary.”

“It doesn't matter what you read, Heyes; the evidence wasn't obtained legally.”  Lom pierced the ex-outlaw with a look.  “Was it?” When Heyes remained silent, the lawman muttered, “Hmph; I thought so.  I'm assuming Durant didn't send you a personal invitation for drinks at his home, followed by a reading of his personal diary, so that leaves us with another problem.  Neither Hannibal Heyes or Joshua Smith can waltz into a courtroom and give their testimony as to what's in that book now, can they?”
When Heyes opened his mouth to speak, Lom held up a hand to stop him.
“It's over, Heyes.  There's nothing we can do about it, so we're all just gonna have to let it go.”  Lom took the bottle and took a swig before handing it back.  “There’s more… Think you better have a drink.”

“This doesn’t sound good, Lom.”  The Kid took the bottle.

“I talked to the governor.”

“And?” Heyes pressed.

“Durant was right.  Hale was about to give you boys amnesty next month.  But now with Morgan wounded, he realizes it’s still too dangerous.  He regrets that he has to postpone the amnesty for a while longer.”

“Postpone it a while longer?  How much longer?” Heyes questioned in an angry tone.  “We just saved the man's life!”

“And he’s beholding to you for that!  He’ll still consider the amnesty and not do away with the whole deal because of it.”

“How long, Lom?” the Kid asked dejectedly.

“He’s hoping that, after another year or so, the banks and railroads will see you’re no longer a threat and focus their attention on others.”

Heyes sighed.  “Another year of being wanted and hunted down.”

“Another year bein’ wanted dead or alive,” Curry added.

“It’s true, you’ll still be wanted.”

Heyes snorted and shook his head.  Curry joined him in exclaiming, “That’s a good deal?”

NOTE ABOUT DURANT
"Like Samson he would not hesitate to pull down the temple even if it meant burying himself along with his enemies."[3]:90 Durant had a ruthless reputation for squeezing friend and foe for personal gain.
Klein, Maury (1987). Union Pacific: The Birth of a Railroad, Vol. I. Garden City, NY: Doubleday. ISBN9780385177283.

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Penski's story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)
Penski
Post Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:50 pm by Penski
Big THANK YOU to our producers for making this good story so much better.  This was a fun story to write - one that almost wrote itself (don't you love it when that happens).  I got the idea from a photo of Pete and Geoff, but decided not to make a Geoff character a bad guy.  Hope you enjoyed the mistaken identity.
moonshadow
Post Sun 09 Oct 2016, 12:20 am by moonshadow
The awesome VS stories just keep coming! From the very intriguing plot, as well as the equally interesting characters, you've managed to create a tale that would have made a great episode! clap Kudos to you, Penski.

I particularly enjoyed how you were able to weave in some real history into this. Thomas Durant was one of my favorite "love to hate" characters from the TV series, "Hell On Wheels" and you managed to portray him very close to how the history books say he was.

I don't want to give the whole plot away so I'll just conclude with how much I appreciated your cleverness with a twisted plot and how the Kid dealt with Garvey. I'm with Heyes and Kid with their wish that things had turned out differently for them in the end.
Bravo!
Post Sun 09 Oct 2016, 2:13 am by LittleBluestem
Great episode, Penski! I really enjoyed reading it and could just imagine Pete playing both parts -- I notice how you never showed them in the same scene, which was pretty smart considering the state of special effects in the early 70s. (I am thinking of Hayley Mills in Parent Trap...)

The picture of Pete you chose to use as Garby illustrates what a great actor he was. It may be the same face, but you can tell he has a totally different personality and demeanor than Hannibal Heyes. Very believable that he could have pulled this off. I also love how Heyes simply cannot accept that Garby looks like him! Clever of him to bring Lom to town so he could identify Garby's body. Too bad that slimy Durant got away with murder! And how frustrating that they were only a MONTH away from the amnesty and then the governor goes and changes his mind!! Another year!! How's that for gratitude?!

I got a kick out of Gene Wilder (RIP  sadder ) as the sheriff. Nice tribute.

The ending was perfect: "That's a good deal?!"

wow
Another great story
Post Sun 09 Oct 2016, 2:13 pm by Nebraska Wildfire
I liked the historical aspects in the story and the not so perfect Hannibal Heyes plan. The ending is great of course with another plot twist to keep the series and quest for amnesty going. I've really been enjoying this virtual season.
Cal
mistaken Identity
Post Mon 10 Oct 2016, 3:43 am by Cal
Another fabulous entertaining episode...Mistaken Identity was a great read.  Definitely one to visit again...just like the original series....I particularly liked the choice of an assassin as the bad guy...and I agree with others here, that Pete would have had so much fun bringing Garby to the screen alongside his wonderful creation, Hannibal Heyes.  As an appreciator of Kid action....I was well pleased with the part he played...I may I add the plotting was perfection.   Well done Penski...gold star from me! clap goodone
Post Mon 10 Oct 2016, 4:08 am by FrankieASJ
What a good read! study
Well done Ms Penski. clap
Post Mon 10 Oct 2016, 5:34 pm by MST3K
goodjob  Well done!!!! Nice plot line. I like the "wouldn't shoot your partner" coming up again and again! You really have their banter done pat. thumbsup
Along with others I too think Pete would have done well with the duel role! biggrin
I like how you gave the boys about equal roles in this story. Nice to see Kid's shooting abilities.
Look forward to the next episode made possible by the perfect ending of once again not receiving amnesty.
Post Fri 18 Nov 2016, 5:46 pm by Laura
A really good story. Without a doubt Pete could have played both parts. Too bad the governor couldn't grant them amnesty after they saved his life. But the timing issue would still be a reason. Loved the banter between the fellas. Glad that Lom was there to help identify Garby.
Post Tue 03 Jan 2017, 6:55 pm by InsideOutlaw
Clever story, Penski. Thomas Durant is a great, real life character who was known for his ruthlessness.  He certainly was devious in this tale.  Loved the idea of his using a doppleganger to bring down his enemies. Also, I loved how Heyes kept protesting Garby looked nothing like him, LOL!
Post  by Sponsored content

Mistaken Identity by Penski

Page 1 of 1