Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Empty
PostNothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon

Starring

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Heyes_33
Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry

Guest Starring

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Jon_lo10
Jon Lormer
as the Livery Owner

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Allen_10
Allan “Rocky” Lane
as Sheriff Bert Ruffing

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Buck_t10
Buck Taylor
as Deputy Bill

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Powers10
Powers Booth
as Les Jaspar

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Michae13
Michael Biehn
as Vernon Bucks

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Peter_12
Peter Breck
as Acting Sheriff Joe Bogert

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Joan_b10
Joan Blondell
As Greta Bogert

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Dennni10
Dennis Miller
as Acting Deputy Sam Keller

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2
by Nell McKeon

“Say, what did you say your name was?”  There was a slight tremble, mixed with suspicion, in the livery owner’s voice.

“I didn’t, but my name’s Joshua Rembacker.  What’s Heyes supposed to look like?” the ex-outlaw leader raised his voice in pitch.  He darted looks around in false fear.

“Well, the poster says Heyes is slim with dark eyes and hair.  He’s about six feet tall.  Late twenties or early thirties.  You could pass for Hannibal Heyes.”

“That description can fit a lot of men, me included.  But I can assure you that I’m just a drifter on my way to Provo for a job.”

The reins were reluctantly handed over as the brunette hesitated momentarily in seeming indecision.

“You’re right about the description; it fits an awful lot of men around these parts.  Besides, you don’t look like an outlaw, and you didn’t draw your gun on me when I asked, like a real outlaw would.  Come to think of it, that was pretty dumb of me.”  The livery owner shook his head ruefully.  He once again gave his customer the once over before meeting his eyes, then continued. “Don’t worry fella.  If Heyes shows up, we’ll be ready for him.  Like the Jaspar Gang, where only one of the gang escaped this town.  All the rest are dead.  Them are those new graves in the cemetery.  You can see them if you want.  Besides, you and your horse don’t seem like you’re fit to go anywhere tonight.”  The man sought to reassure the newcomer as all suspicion died from his face.

Heyes pulled off his saddle bags, rifle, and bedroll.  “I’m not worried.  And you’re right; me and my horse do need at least a night of rest in town before we move on.  Extra grain and a good rubdown for him.  I’ll pay you now and if I stay longer we’ll settle up later.  I’ll pass on the cemetery.”  He pushed a few dollars at the unknowingly helpful man.

Walking out of the stable and keeping to the shadows, the ex-outlaw slowed until he came to a stop in the small side street.  “Thank the law for the vague description and my parents for the fact that I look like half the men roaming around,” he muttered to himself.   “It’ll have to be a quiet night at the hotel.  I hope they serve food and have baths.”  He glanced down at himself, slapped his clothes a few times to remove the loose dust, and straightened his appearance.  Dark eyes looked longingly at the saloon, a little way up the street, before reluctantly focusing on the modest hotel on the opposite side of the main thoroughfare.

That Evening

The door to the jail swung open with a bang, startling the two occupants within.  Joe jumped slightly in his chair by the cells and dropped his cards on the small table dragged over to the occupied cell.  The Kid swung his head towards the door as he reached through the bars and picked one card from the stack in the middle of the table.

Sheriff Ruffing entered.  His right arm was tightly tucked into a sling.  His gaze swept the interior of the jail before stopping on his acting sheriff and his prisoner, who appeared to be congenially playing cards.  By the evidence of coffee mugs and plates with nothing but crumbs scattered about the floor on either side of the bars, they had been for some time.

“Um, I’m not interrupting anything important, am I?” the sheriff asked, sarcasm heavy in his voice.

“Nope, Sheriff.  We’re just passin’ the time.  Gin,” Curry answered amiably as he discarded one card from his hand and laid his cards face up on the table.

Joe looked quickly at Curry’s shown hand and his face took on a mild disgusted expression that rapidly morphed into faint embarrassment as he gathered up all the cards and stood up.  “How’re you doing, Bert?  And how’s Bill doing?”

“Bill and me are doin’ as fine as can be expected.  I was lucky the bullet didn’t hit nothin’ important.  It was just a flesh wound and pretty much the same for Bill.  It’s a good thing that most of the Jaspar Gang weren’t any kind of skilled shootists.  Not like our big-time gunnie, Mr. Fastest Gun in the West, we have locked up nice and safe over there.”  The sheriff shot a brief a look of disapproval toward the cells before walking over to his desk where acting sheriff Joe Bogert joined him.

“I keep tellin’ you, I’m Thaddeus Jones,” Curry called out.

Ruffing ignored him and turned his attention to the acting sheriff.  “Joe, you’re being careful around him, right?” the sheriff lightly scolded.  “Kid Curry’s not one to be underestimated.  Him and his partner are sly ones.  I aim for him to be here in our cells when the Wyoming marshals get here.” His good left hand dipped into his pocket and withdrew a small sheet of yellowish paper.

“I’m careful, Bert.  I leave my gun belt on the desk out of his reach when I go over there.  He won’t escape on my watch.  It’s been quiet in town and in the jail.  Haven’t seen anyone suspicious or looking like his outlaw partner hanging around on my rounds.  Nobody at the livery, hotel, bathhouse, café, or saloon have reported anything or anybody suspicious either.  The only strangers reported are some ranch hands on their way down to Albuquerque, a couple visiting the Moderna Ranch, and a guy on his way to Provo from Iron City, who had to stop in Kanab ‘cause his horse went lame.”

The Kid’s attention was caught at Joe’s last statement.  He straightened up after pushing the empty coffee mug and cake plate under the bars.  The blond remained at the front of the cell, listening closely.

“Humph, just see that you take care and keep your eyes open.  By the way, did you get the name of the guy goin’ to Provo?”

“Yeah, I went over to the livery and hotel.  His name is Rembester, or something like that, not Smith, like you have us watching out for.  He could fit Heyes’ description but then, so could I.  Everyone who saw him agrees he don’t look like or act like an outlaw.  I went up and spoke with him at the hotel.  When I knocked on the door, he was reading a book.  He wasn’t planning on stopping in Kanab, but his horse went lame and needs the rest, which was confirmed when I went by the livery.”

The Kid struggled to keep his poker face in place as a hint of smile passed briefly across his lips.

Joe continued, “Apparently, he went immediately to the hotel, ordered a bath and dinner, and has been in his room since.  Said he might be leaving tomorrow, depending on how his horse is doing.  No Smiths and you can be darn sure no one has come into town saying he was Hannibal Heyes.  No one looking or coming around the jail that shouldn’t be,” Joe reported to the sheriff a bit defensively.

Bert Ruffing dropped into his comfortable chair behind the desk.  He gazed up at his friend, who had agreed to take on the added responsibilities of sheriff to help out while he was unable to perform all his duties and gave him a conciliatory smile.  “Thanks, Joe.  I really mean it.  I’m just on edge ‘cause of what happened with the Jaspar Gang and now havin’ an important prisoner like Kid Curry in custody.  

“I’m not that important.” Curry piped up.

The sheriff glanced back at the occupied cell. “Yes, you are. At least, the Wyoming authorities think you are,” the sheriff answered. He turned to face Joe and continued,
“This is more serious trouble than Kanab sees in years.  You know that he and his partner, Heyes, have been caught before but they always escape.  No one has ever held them long enough for the marshals from Cheyenne to come and get them.  I don’t want to be on that list of those who lost them.  Which reminds me.”  He waved the yellowish paper around before placing it on the desk.  “I telegraphed Wyoming before I went to the doc's, and by the time I was out their reply came back.”

The sheriff rose from the chair and strode to the middle of the room, Joe trailing him.  He addressed the prisoner, “Curry, I guess we’ll find out if you’re really Kid Curry or Jones in about four days when the marshals from Wyoming get here.  They think you’re pretty important since they’re sendin’ five marshals.  Five tough lawmen for just one man, that seems to me that it’s pretty important to get you to Cheyenne. Don’t think you’ll escape from them.  Don’t mind sayin’ that I’ll be glad to get rid of ya.”

“It’s not like it was my idea to be here, Sheriff.  I would have loved to have ridden out of here days ago,” the Kid answered truthfully.

Joe and Bert Ruffing laughed.  The lawman and his temporary replacement walked to the door of the jail.  Ruffing putting his one good hand briefly on his friend’s back before reaching for the door latch handle.  “Joe, thanks again.  I saw Sam goin’ in the café for his dinner and beans for the prisoner’s dinner.  He should relieve you in a few minutes.”

Later that Night

A slim shadowy form slipped unseen down the back hotel service stairs.  He stopped on the bottom step and listened for a moment.  No sounds drifted from the small hall that led to the hotel’s service workspaces.  Dark hair briefly appeared around the corner of the staircase opening and the head swiveled quickly to look both ways.  The form quickly and decisively stepped into the corridor and traversed the hall to exit the back service entrance of the hotel.  

Keeping close to the sides of the back alley, the slim form turned up a side street and stopped at the edge of the entrance, deep in shadow.  The barely discernible man leaned against the hotel and his lips curved into a slight smile of satisfaction.  Brown eyes gazed intently at all that was going on in the main street.  This vantage point afforded a good view of the jail, the two saloons and most of the likely area that would see activity in the late evening and night.  Hannibal Heyes settled in for a long night of watching.

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Pic_6_10

Inside the jailhouse, acting deputy Sam Keller put down the book he was trying to read in-between spells of nodding off.  He checked the large wall clock and announced to the only other occupant of the building, “Time for my rounds.”

The Kid pushed up his hat from his face with one finger and peered disinterestedly through the bars from his recumbent position.  “Don’t let me keep you, Deputy.  Hey, you mind turnin’ the light a little lower?  It’s kinda hard to sleep in here with you keepin’ it so bright.  It is the middle of the night, you know.  If you unfolded that cot over against the wall and set an alarm clock for your rounds, maybe we both could get some sleep.”

Deputy Sam pushed the desk chair back and stood up.  “Why, so you could escape while I’m sleepin’ on the job?  Sheriff Ruffing is counting on me to do a good job while Bill’s leg is healin’.  You ain’t gonna go nowhere while I’m here.”  He rummaged in the desk drawers and withdrew a set of handcuffs before walking over to the cells.  “In fact, as an added precaution, stand up and put your hands through the bars.”

Curry just looked at the deputy, his expression a mixture of disbelief and disgust.  His sandy brows drew down into a v and his lips turned into a frown.  He didn’t move.

Deputy Sam’s face reddened, and his brown eyes narrowed as he watched the unmoving outlaw.  “I said on your feet!”

The Kid heaved a big sigh but didn’t move from under his blanket.  His stare turned cold.

The deputy swallowed and dropped his eyes momentarily.  He drew his gun, pointed it at the non-compliant prisoner and yelled, “Now!”

Muttering under his breath, “You’ve gotta be kiddin’ me,” Kid Curry slowly threw off his blanket and rose reluctantly to his stockinged feet.  He extended his hands through the cell door bars.

Deputy Sam carefully placed the handcuffs on his prisoner’s wrists on his side of the bars.  “This is just an added measure to make sure you stay put while I’m on my rounds.  And, if you give me any trouble, you can stay standing that way all night.  No reason you should sleep if I’m awake, Curry.”

“It’s Jones.  I haven’t caused anyone a bit of trouble; no reason for you to be unreasonable.”

“I’ve got me ten thousand reasons to be extra cautious and as unreasonable as I want.  I was part of the group that made sure you stayed caught after the Jaspar Gang Shoot-Out and done brought you back to jail when the sheriff and deputy couldn’t.  Wasn’t an actin’ lawman then.  Now, you stay put and I’ll be back when the rounds are finished,” Deputy Sam called back over his shoulder as he exited the jail.

Across and down the street, Heyes perked up from his perch on an overturned crate in the side street next to the hotel.  He pocketed the deck of cards he had been idly shuffling one-handed.  Keen, wide-awake eyes traced the deputy’s movements.  He compared what he was observing with what he had observed in the two previous times the deputy left the jailhouse.  The deputy appeared to be following the exact same routine.  The ex-outlaw withdrew his pocket watch and peered closely at the face in the scant moonlight.  “Time to talk to the Kid,” he whispered.

Darting out from his vantage point, Heyes quickly crossed the street and disappeared into the side street running alongside the jail.  He stayed close to the side of the building as he traveled down the narrow side street.  The dark-haired partner stopped below a barred window with its wooden shutter open in the still warm night.  “Well, here goes,” Heyes barely audibly commented to himself.  “Thaddeus?” he called in a semi-loud whisper.

Kid Curry cocked his head and angled his body to better hear noises in the back of the cell.  He stepped back as far as his arms would allow at the sudden sounds drifting in from the small cell window.  He waited with his breath held while he strained to catch any stray noise.

“Thaddeus?  Can you hear me?”

The Kid kept silent while he peered intently around.  He opened his mouth when the voice returned.

“Kid?  You there?”

“Heyes, is that you?  Yes, I’m here, but I can barely hear you.”

“Yes, it’s me.  Who else are you expecting?  Come closer so we can keep our voices as quiet as we can.”

“I can’t come closer.  The deputy has got me handcuffed to the bars on the cell door while he’s out doin’ his rounds.”

Heyes swiped at his hat in frustration.  He glanced at his pocket watch and brought it so it was almost touching his face in the dark.  He stretched and rose up on his toes but could not see through the barred window.  His voice rose slightly in volume.  “Can you hear me better now?”

Curry strained towards the rear of the cell.  He turned his head as far over his shoulder as he could.  “Yeah, I can hear you.  Listen, they’re lookin’ out for you.  They know a Rembacker has registered at the hotel, but so far haven’t connected Rembacker with Hannibal Heyes.  But they are suspicious.”

“That’s one thing in our favor.  We can’t use the lawyer scenario this time.  I sure didn’t look like any lawyer when I rode into town, and I don’t have a disguise handy with me right now.  We left our suits in Denver with Clementine last time we rode through there.  I’ll have to come up with something else.”

“Whatever plan you come up with will have to be soon.  Five marshals from Wyoming are due to be here in four days from today, or rather yesterday.  It’ll be all over then and hello to twenty years in the Wyoming pen.”

“I’ll get you out of there, Kid.  Don’t worry.  One way or another, you won’t be going to Wyoming surrounded by marshals.”

“I know you’ll think of something.  But whether we’ll have enough time is the question.  I think I’ll worry just a little bit.  Heyes, be careful.  If things don’t work out, I don’t want your company on my trip back.  Maybe you should leave town before their suspicions get any stronger on why Rembacker is hangin’ around town instead of heading up to Provo.”

“Okay, I’ll head out tomorrow, if my horse is okay, and camp out of sight a little ways out of town.  Me buying supplies for moving on will be expected.  If the horse is still not able to make the trip, then I have a reason to stay an extra day.”

“Buy another horse, Heyes, and get out of town if your horse ain’t ready.  It’s safer.”

Heyes shook his head slightly as he listened to the worry evident in his friend’s voice.  “Alright, but I’m not going far.  This deputy is pretty predicable, so I’ll be back as soon as I have a plan and clue you in.  When you’re out of there, you’re gonna have to tell me how you got into this mess.  I heard a version from the livery man when I rode in.  That’s how I found out you were in jail.”

“Guess that was a bit of good luck so you didn’t tell anyone your name was Smith ‘cause I said I was Jones.  Heyes, you won’t believe what happened.”

With fond amusement and exasperation, the older partner peered up at the barred window.  “Knowing you, I’ll believe most anything.  Don’t go anywhere and listen for me during the lawman’s rounds.”  Heyes slid along the adobe building and melted into the shadows.

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Pic_7_10

The Next Day

The plump middle-aged woman watched the blond clean his plate by mopping up the last of the tangy gravy with a homemade roll.  “Mr. Jones, would you like a second helping?” she asked with a hopeful note.

The Kid looked up from his plate and glanced over at Joe, who was also finishing up his hearty lunch before focusing on the cast iron dutch oven siting on the pot belly stove.  “Please, call me Thaddeus.  I’d like that very much, ma’am.  I never had this type of meat and these potato dumpling things before.  They’re very tasty and really good.  And the red cabbage and the rolls are just as delicious.  Joe’s a lucky man.”

Joe looked up at his wife affectionately and nodded.  “I guess I am.  Greta, what’s for dessert?”  He patted his stomach before peering into the picnic basket set on the sheriff’s desk.

Greta lightly slapped her husband’s hand away.  “You’ll have to wait until Thaddeus finishes his seconds.”  She walked over to the cell and retrieved the plate that was passed under the bars.  “It’s called sauerbraten and kartoffelklöße.  It’s a very common meal from Germany where my family is from.  I’m glad you like the cabbage and brotchen, too.  Make sure you keep room for strudel.  It’s one of my husband’s favorites.”

“Thank you, ma’am, I’ll always have room for your cookin’.  The apple cake, Apfelkuchen I think you called it, that we had yesterday, hit the spot with Joe’s coffee.  I think I’m gettin’ fat sittin’ in this cell doin’ nothin’ but waitin’ for the breakfast and lunches you’re bringin’ your husband and me…”

“Hah, doing nothing but waiting!  You’ve been beating me at poker, blackjack, and even gin rummy.  At least I’m ahead in checkers, although not by much,” Joe interrupted.

“I appreciate you includin’ me.  Sure beats the beans that I get for dinner every night.”  The Kid flashed her one his genuine charming smiles.  It had the desired effect and caused the middle-aged wife to blush and giggle.

“It’s my pleasure, Thaddeus.  Joe has to eat and it’s nice to cook for someone so appreciative.  My sons eat so fast, I don’t think they even taste the food.  My Joe, here, is so used to what I cook that he just eats it.”  Greta gazed fondly at her husband to take the tiny sting out from her words.  She slid the refilled plate under the bars and walked back to her husband.  Bending down towards his ear she leaned on the sheriff’s desk and asked quietly, “Are you sure he’s a notorious outlaw?  He looks so innocent and is much too polite for a bad man gunfighter.”

The temporary sheriff shrugged.  He glanced at the blond, young man behind bars.  “Bert Ruffing’s convinced he’s Kid Curry, so that’s what I have to go by.”  He lowered his voice to a whisper, “I’m almost sorry to see the marshals.  I like the man, Greta.”  His wife silently nodded in agreement.

Joe directed his attention back to the prisoner.  “Enjoy your meal and eat all you want.  Tomorrow Sam and I are switching shifts for a day.  I have something I have to do.  You’ll get whatever prisoners get for breakfast and lunch.  I think it’s grits and then probably beans.  I’ll be here for the night shift, so I’ll bring us something good to eat and a little something for a late-night snack.  The sheriff's gonna stop by again during the day tomorrow.  Sam and I never had a real prisoner to guard when we’ve been deputies.  Just the odd drunken cowboy sleeping it off during round-up season.  Sam say’s it’s exciting.”

‘I don’t know about the excitin’ part.  Nobody's gonna come ridin’ in here with guns blazin’ for Thaddeus Jones.”  The Kid shook his head and looked solemnly down at his feet.

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Pic_8_10

“That’s a good thing.  I don’t think Sam or anyone in this town really wants a repeat of the Jaspar Gang shoot out and the ruckus of having Les Jaspar in jail.  Bill and the sheriff say your shooting is one of the reasons they’re real convinced you’re Kid Curry like those no-good outlaws said.  Say, were you friends?”

The Kid answered truthfully, “Nope, I can honestly say I was not any kind of friend to anyone in the Jaspar Gang.”

Greta spoke up as she gave a little shudder. “The scaffold they started building to hang that killer was not something I wanted to see when I came into town.  He was a mean man and a killer that the law said deserved death, but I didn’t want to be anywhere near when they hung him.”  She suddenly turned a deep red and stuttered, “Oh my, I’m sorry… How insensitive of me…You won’t be hung, will you?”  Greta cast her hazel eyes at the ground and clutched at the apron she wore.

The Kid rose from his seated position on the cell cot and leaned against the bars.  His quiet, soft drawl filled the sudden silence of the jail.  “If I was Kid Curry, then no, I wouldn’t be hung.  Curry and his partner, Hannibal Heyes, are not murderers.  It’s a matter of public record that they have never shot anyone in all their robberies. And from what I know, Kid Curry never draws first. They’re wanted for armed robbery and that’s not a hangin’ offense, last I heard.  I think it'll get Kid Curry twenty years in prison, not somethin’ a man would want, either.  I also heard Heyes and the Kid have quit robbin’ and are tryin’ to go straight.”

Joe grabbed his wife’s shaky hand and squeezed it in comfort.  “No, twenty years in prison isn’t something any man would want.”

Greta murmured to herself, “I want to believe you, Thaddeus Jones.”

Last edited by royannahuggins on Thu 18 May 2023, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Nightwalker likes this post

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon :: Comments

Later that Night

Sam, Acting Deputy Sheriff, glanced over his shoulder at the handcuffed prisoner when he opened the jail door to start his night rounds.  He smiled in satisfaction at the prisoner’s disgruntled mutterings.  The smile was quickly wiped from his face when his eyes met the angry glare the blond was shooting his way.  He carefully locked the door behind him before starting down the dusty street towards the center of Kanab.

A shadowy form once again slipped from his vantage point behind a stack of crates in a dark side street opposite from the jail.  He darted across the street and hugged the side of building in the night shadows.  Like a wraith, he disappeared into the darkness of the back alley.  Letting his eyes adjust to the dim moonlight, he remarked to himself, “Good, there’s a back door.”  

The dark-haired man stood still in the shallow doorway in the back of the jail.  He bent and peered closely at the lock and murmured, “Piece of cake to pick.”  Straightening up, he stepped with cat-like soft steps back around the side of the jail to stop below the small, barred window of a cell.  He kept a wary eye out towards the main street, grimacing slightly at a sudden unexpected noise of activity from there.

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Pic_9_12

When the sounds died down from the passing men, Heyes felt safe enough to continue to contact his jailed friend.  “Psst, you there?” he loudly whispered up towards the barred cell window.

The Kid grinned at the sound of his partner’s voice.  He stepped back as far as his restrained arms would allow.  “I’m here.  Where else do you think I’d be?  Speak up, the dang deputy has got my hands cuffed around the cell door bars again.”

Heyes raised his voice slightly.  “This better?”

“Yeah.  You got a plan yet, partner?”

“I’ve been thinking, but nothing is coming up that will work in the time we have.  I think it’s gonna have to be a jail break.”

“A jailbreak?  That’s the best my genius partner can do?”  Curry frowned and furrows appeared in his forehead.  His shoulders slumped in dismay.

Heyes stood up straighter and glared at the window he couldn’t quite see through.  “Well, it’s not like I have a lot to work with or time to come up with something better.  Besides, as you’ve bragged about in the past, the only thing we do as well as rob trains and banks is break out of jail.”

The younger partner rolled his eyes.

The older man’s voice became a little sharp and his hands rested on his hips.  “As I was saying, this deputy is pretty predictable on when and what he does on his rounds.  I made sure people knew that Joshua Rembacker was mighty grateful that his horse was healed up so that I could be on my way to Provo.  I bought enough trail supplies to last us when we leave.  Right now, I’m camped a little ways north of town, out of sight.”

“You okay?  No one gave you the look or paid too much attention to what you were doin’?”

“I’m fine.  I had a nice quiet time in town by myself.  Didn’t even go to the café or the saloon.  Kept the number of people who got a good look at me to the minimum.  For all anyone knows, nondescript transient Joshua Rembacker came and went.”

“That’s good.”  A blond head nodded in satisfaction, unseen by his partner.

“We’ll do it when the deputy is making his rounds for the second time, that’s the one that takes him the longest.  The saloon is getting ready to close then and he goes in there for a while.  I’ll have the horses out back; it won’t be too hard to get yours.  The livery is closed and there’s a stable door that leads to the alley and back corral.  It won’t be any trouble getting in and out unnoticed; the lock is a chain and a simple padlock.  It’s dark down that end of town with nothing really around it that’s open at night.”  Heyes slid along the building towards the back alley.  He peered around the edge of the building and gave a thoughtful stare in the direction of the livery.

The Kid’s voice drifting into the night called Heyes back to the barred window.  “My horse is still there?  Joe said someone wanted to buy him, accordin’ to the real sheriff.”

“That was me.  I said I was thinking of buying a second horse to give mine a rest on the way to Provo.  They wouldn’t sell me your horse until the marshals arrived, but then I changed my mind.  And who’s Joe?”

“Joe’s the actin’ sheriff on account of the real sheriff got shot by Vernon Bucks and his arm is in a sling.  He’s here during the day.  The real sheriff comes by, though, usually in the afternoon.”

The older ex-outlaw continued with his plan, such as it was.  “Tomorrow’s a weekday and the saloon isn’t very busy late at night, at least not that I can tell from my surveillance.  There’s not a lot of men around, so it'll take a while to form a posse.  It helps that the usual sheriff and deputy are out of commission.  We’ll have a good head start.  We can lay a trail south and then double back.”  Heyes was in full planning mode as he was instructing his friend.

“Wait, did you say tomorrow night?”

“Yeah, it’s a little late for me to get everything together and packed up for tonight.  That is unless we really have to.  Do we have to go tonight?”

“No, I mean it would be better to escape the next night.  Not tomorrow.”

“Why?  It’s not like you to want to spend more time in jail.  Besides, staying in a cold camp just outside of town is getting old.  We need to be on our way.  And I’m sure I don’t need to remind you that’s cutting it too close.  What if the marshals arrive a day early?  Then what?  Because that will sure complicate things.”  The planner’s voice became sharper and took on the outlaw leader’s edge when questioned.

“I have my reasons,” the Kid mumbled.

“What?  I didn’t hear what you said?”

“Never mind.  Just get me out the next night.”  

Heyes could hear the Kid getting his determined stubborn face on, even if he couldn’t see the clenched jaw and intense blue eyes.

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Pic_1010

“Alright, it’s your skin you’re risking.  Are you sure whatever you’re making us wait for is worth it?”

The blond briefly closed his eyes and bowed his head in thought.  When he opened them, they landed on the soiled napkin he'd tucked under his cot earlier when he finished the generous slice of poppy seed cake that had been wrapped up in it.  Joe had made sure his amiable prisoner had a snack to enjoy in the evening after the dinner of beans.

“Yeah, I’m sure.  Plus, I know I can count on you.”

Heyes swiped his hat off his head in annoyance before glaring up at the bars.  He replaced the black hat as his expression softened.

“I hope you know what you’re doing, Kid…”

“Me, too,” whispered Curry under his breath.

“…I’ll be back the night after tomorrow, coming in though the back door.  Oh, we won’t have a lot of time so, if your gun ain’t handy, we may have to leave it if...”

“It’s handy!” Kid Curry interrupted hotly, his voice increasing in volume.  “My Colt is locked in the sheriff’s desk.  It won’t take no time at all to get it.  Not leavin’ my Colt, Heyes!”

“Ssh, I figured you wouldn’t.  Just wanted to know if it was in a safe and, if so, what kind, that’s all.”  The dark-haired partner grinned fondly.  The grin faded into a thin-lipped serious expression.  Dark eyes tried to bore through the adobe.  “I gotta go.”

The Kid glanced at the jail door before straining at the cuffs in a futile effort.  He called out in haste, worry plainly tinged his voice, “Heyes?”

“What?”

“Don’t hang around town, takin’ chances on being recognized.  We don’t need the two of us in here.  If I’m wrong, I’m wrong and I’ll have to live with it.”

“Kid…”

“It’s okay, Heyes.  Get goin’.  See you the night after next.”

“Bye, Kid, see you then.”  Heyes let his chin drop to his chest.  He slinked quietly along the building and retraced his movements back to the main street.  He slowly leaned forward to peer around the jail, then rapidly darted back when he spotted the deputy walking slowly up the jail side of the street, only a few doors away.  

He waited silently in the shadows until he heard the jail door being unlocked, opened, and then closed.  Muffled voices came through the door.  The ex-thief took the garbled conversation as his cue to hurriedly cross the street and melt into the opposite side street.  He kept close to the side of the building until he reached the back alley where his horse was tethered.

Two Nights Later

The lamps were burning brightly in the sheriff’s office.  Deputy Sam Keller had his feet propped up on the uncluttered desk.  “Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry with the Devil’s Hole Gang in the Robbery at Rock Ridge Gulch” clutched in his hands.  He peered over the edge of the dime novel at the recumbent prisoner across the room.  “Hey, Curry!  You awake?  Curry!”

The blond pushed up his hat with one finger and sighed.  “It’s Jones.  And it’s hard to sleep with the room brighter than midday in here.  And I can usually sleep anywhere and anytime, especially in the middle of the night,” the Kid responded, annoyed.

Deputy Sam put the book down and swiveled his head to gaze around the room.  “I told you before, Sheriff Ruffing is countin’ on Joe and me to make sure you don’t escape.  Keepin’ it light and me wide awake is helpin’ to keep you behind bars.  I’ll be glad when the marshals get here in the mornin’.  The telegram said five of them.  Guess they ain’t takin’ no chances with such an important big-time outlaw prisoner.”

The brown hat was lifted completely off his face before the Kid leaned up on one elbow to stare at the deputy with a bland expression on his face.  “Did you want somethin’ or were you just set on keepin’ me awake and tired,” he asked wearily.

Sam laughed as he picked up the dime novel again and waved it in the general direction of the cells.  “I was wonderin’ if you can really shoot two bullets at one time?  In here they have you shootin’ six men with only three shots.  And you don’t even get the girl; it looks as if your partner, Hannibal Heyes, will wind up with the damsel in distress.”

Curry plopped back down so his head was resting on the thin pillow.  He spoke to the ceiling, “I’ve heard that Kid Curry can shoot two bullets at one time, but, however he does it, we all know that only one bullet can be loaded into a Colt cylinder at a time.  Don’t believe everything you read.”  The hat was replaced over the Kid’s face.

Sam glanced up at the wall clock.  “Time for my rounds.  You know the routine by now.  On your feet, hands through the bars.”  The deputy laid his .38 revolver on the desk on top of the dime novel before opening a desk drawer and retrieving the iron handcuffs.

The brown hat was thrown forcibly at the wall and bounced back to land on Curry’s knees.  The blond threw the blanket off and rose to his feet in a huff.  “Deputy, I’m still here and not likely to go anywhere until the marshals see I’m not Kid Curry.  Is this really still necessary?”

“Yep.  Now let me see those wrists on my side of the bars,” Sam insisted.

The Kid stuck his wrists through the bars and glared at the acting deputy as he locked the heavy cuffs on.

Sam shifted his feet and kept his eyes from meeting the glacial blue in the cell.  He hurried through the jail’s door and hastily locked it behind him.  The deputy took a moment to survey the town from the front of the jail before starting down the dark, deserted street.

Hidden in the shadows of a side street, the man furtively watching fished his pocket watch from his pants pocket.  He peered closely at the watch face.  “Predictable deputy, that’s a no-no.  Your rounds are right on time,” Heyes remarked quietly to himself.  “Time to get the Kid and get out of town for good.”  He rapidly strode across the street, slipped down the side street by the jail and into the back alley.

“Good boys, you’ve been nice and quiet.  Please stay that way until I get back.”  He lightly patted the drooping heads of the chestnut and dark bay geldings that he had tethered behind a closed leather goods shop a short way from the rear entrance of the jail.  The ex-thief traced his steps back to the jail’s back door.  

He bent down and briefly studied the lock before straightening up.  Pulling his lockpicks out, he chose the correct one and soon heard the satisfying click of the lock unlocking.  Reaching for the door handle, Heyes slowly and noiselessly opened the door and stepped through.  He let his eyes adjust to the bright light after being in nothing but moonlight for several hours.  It took only a few steps to traverse the short hall leading to the main jailhouse room.

“Kid, time to get out of here.”

“Heyes, am I glad to see you!  Get me outta these cuffs and outta this cell, partner.”

Heyes rushed forward and started to work on the handcuffs.  He glanced up and studied his friend’s face as his hands manipulated the pick.  “You look okay.  They didn’t rough you up any?”

“No.  Well, a little when they thought I was Vernon Bucks.  In fact, the acting sheriff was…never mind.  Thanks for gettin’ those off.”  Curry pulled his freed arms back to his side of the bars and gave his wrists a few rubs.  He turned back to the cot and slapped his hat on his head before sitting down and pulling on his boots.

The dark-haired partner had the cell door lock unlocked by the time the Kid had finished getting dressed.  He smiled broadly as he pushed the barred door open and took a good hard look at Curry.  Brown eyes narrowed, and a slim finger came up to pause at pursed lips.  “Kid, if I didn’t know better, I’d say you gained some weight.  But unfortunately, I have been acquainted with jail food.”

Curry tilted his head down and glanced down at himself as he brushed past his slim partner.  A tinge of pink started to appear on the blond’s face and neck as he headed straight for the sheriff’s desk.  Heyes followed.

“Show me the drawer that has your Colt in it, and I’ll work on that.”  The older man started to pull at the drawers.

Curry pointed to the correct drawer.  “Hey, look at this.  The deputy left his revolver on the desk.  Let’s lock it in the drawer.”  He lifted the forgotten weapon and fingered the dime novel underneath.

“Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry with the Devil’s Hole Gang in the Robbery at Rock Ridge Gulch, that’s one I can skip readin’,” the Kid muttered under his breath.

“Here, put it on and we’ll get out of here.  I’ve got the horses out back.”  Heyes pulled out the Kid’s gunbelt and held it out to him.  He swiped the deputy’s .38 from Curry’s hand, dropped in the drawer and slammed it shut.

Curry grabbed his well-worn gunbelt with the Colt .45 in the holster.  He busied himself buckling the belt and tying the leather thong tightly around his thigh.

The front door rattled.  Both partners' heads snapped up and swiveled towards the front as each drew their weapon.  They both started to back out of the room towards the rear door, keeping an eye and their guns trained towards the front.

Acting deputy Sam Keller opened the door and rushed in the jail, heading straight for the desk.  He shot a glance at the cells on the run and did a fast double take to the side before he looked straight ahead.  He came skidding to a halt and stuttered, “I forgot my gun and…”  His voice trailed off.  The deputy’s complexion turned red before rapidly paling.  His eyes got wide as saucers and his mouth dropped completely open.  He started to lunge forward before stopping mid step.  “Wha...”  He swallowed.  “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Well, Deputy, what we’re doing is leaving your jail and your town,” Hannibal Heyes answered amiably.

The Kid added, “It’s exactly what it looks like, a jail break.  I’m not all that anxious to spend time in the company of five marshals.  Now, Sam, how about you get into that cell over there and, just for added precautions, put your hands through the bars.”  Curry gestured with his Colt in the direction of the cell he just vacated.  “I’ll tell you what, since it’s goin’ to be a couple of hours until anyone comes in to find you, I’ll let you sit on the cot instead of makin’ you stand up, like you did to me.”

Sam slowly side-stepped towards the cell.  His eyes narrowed as he accused the dark-haired man in front of him.  “You’re not Rembacker!  You’re really Hannibal Heyes and you never intended to go to Provo!”

Heyes kept his gun trained on the hapless deputy and adopted a friendly, let-me-tell-you-a-secret tone. “Can’t pull one over on you.  My name isn’t Joshua Rembacker.  It’s really Joshua Smith and you had my partner, Thaddeus Jones, locked up.  A lot of people don’t believe a Smith and Jones can be partners; they get suspicious.  But there are a lot of Smiths and Joneses in this world, and we happen to be two of them.  We also happen to look a lot like those two notorious outlaws, Heyes and Curry.  We’ve been mistaken for them in the past.  It takes a lot of time and effort to prove who we are, and we just don’t have the time to spend or the inclination to take a trip to Wyoming if the marshals are unsure.  You people in town sure seemed to have your minds made up about who my friend is.”

“In the cell, Sam,” Curry reminded the acting deputy.  He held up the iron handcuffs that he picked up off the floor as the deputy once again stopped to stare at the two ex-outlaws.

The deputy dropped his head and his shoulders slumped in defeat.  He plopped down on the cot and stuck his hands through the bars.

The Kid smiled as he cuffed the deputy’s wrists, closed the cell door with a bang, and pocketed the keys.  He gazed down at the restrained acting lawman.  “I’ll just leave these keys out back somewhere.”  Sam looked up in alarm.  “Don’t worry, Deputy.  If Joe, Sheriff Ruffing, or the marshals can’t find them, I’m sure there’s a good locksmith in town, or the blacksmith will be able to get you out.  Are you nice and comfy?”

Sam’s eyes narrowed, his jaw clenched in anger and his face reddened as his posture stiffened.  “Why you…”

“Now watch your mouth, Deputy, or I just might have to gag you,” Curry admonished the unfortunate temporary lawman.  “That would be mighty uncomfortable for all those hours until morning.  I’ll leave the lamps lit but, unfortunately, you won’t be able to finish your dime novel since you can’t turn the pages.”

“Come on, Thaddeus.  Time’s a-wasting,” the older partner called to his younger cohort as he spun on his heel and headed to the rear of the jail.

The two men slipped out the rear door of the jail, closing it quietly.  Heyes locked the door, then tugged on the handle to ensure it was locked.  They both carefully traversed the distance to the horses, ears alert to unnatural sounds and scanning the surroundings as they walked.

Once mounted, Curry carelessly tossed the keys to the jail cells and handcuffs off to the side.  The soft thunk of metal hitting wood and subsequent thump indicated that the keys had landed on the stacked wooden crates behind the rear of the leather goods store and finally landed in the dirt.

Heyes and Curry walked their horses along the back alley before turning up one of the side streets to the deserted main thoroughfare.  The only lights showing in the dark night was from the hotel lobby further down the street.  They picked up the pace to a trot.  Heyes suddenly pulled his horse to a stop in front of the hotel.

The Kid rode a little ways before realizing Heyes wasn’t beside him.  He reined his bay in and peered back over his shoulder.  His brow furrowed in puzzlement at the sight of his partner sitting placidly on his unmoving chestnut with his arms crossed casually on the saddle horn.  He took in the puzzled expression of the dark brows drawn down, the thin straight mouth and the steady stare straight ahead.  With a slight shrug of his shoulder, the blond turned his horse around to come up next to his friend.  

“Heyes?  What’s wrong?  Come on, we gotta get a move on.  We have a lot of miles to go before mornin’.”

Heyes remained as he was and didn’t immediately answer the Kid.  The light from the lobby windows spilled out into the street, illuminating the partners’ faces.

The Kid shuffled around in his saddle before crossing his own arms on his saddle horn and leaning forward to better see his partner’s face.  “Heyes?”

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Pic_1110

“I was wondering, Kid, why you waited the extra night to escape.”

“What?”

“You didn’t want to get out of jail last night but made me wait to break you out until tonight.  You never told me why.”

“You want to know why now?” the Kid’s voice rose in volume and pitch.  His eyes squinted and continuously roved around.

“Yep, in case there’s anything we need to take care of before we leave.  Don’t want to leave any loose ends, do we?”

“There’s no loose ends, Heyes.  Except maybe the loose ends in your head that have you sittin’ there in the middle of the street like we just didn’t break outta jail.”  The Kid adjusted his seat in the saddle and took up the reins in his left hand.  “Let’s get outta here!  Weren’t you the one who was remindin’ me time’s-a-wastin’?”  He kicked the bay into a fast lope.

Heyes swore under his breath.  “Kid, you can be real exasperating at times.  This is one of them.  You're going to tell me why you waited.”  He nudged the chestnut into motion and quickly caught up with his partner.  

The fast lope turned into a canter when they passed the last building.  The two former bank and train robbers hightailed it south out of town.

Late Morning the Next Day, north somewhere between Kanab and Bryce Canyon

Riding along the largely desolate landscape, both partners were slumped in their saddles.  Blond and brunette heads seemed to be taking turns dropping to their dusty chests before abruptly jerking up.

Heyes suddenly sat up straighter as the partners rode into a narrowed canyon cut by a small stream.  He kept his wide-opened eyes straight ahead as he called, “Kid.”

No answer.  He glanced to the side and a little behind him, then let a tiny chuckle escape.  “I know how you feel after being up for over twenty-four hours doing some hard riding in semi-darkness, then riding for hours and hours through rocky dry, sameness,” Heyes quietly remarked sympathetically.  He raised his voice to a shout, “KID!”

Curry’s head snapped up and his hat slid off his curls to rest against his back.  He nudged his horse to come even with the chestnut and sheepishly looked over at his wide-awake friend.  “Sorry, I must've been noddin’ off.”

‘No worry, both of us have been doing that on and off for the last two or three hours.  We both need some sleep and the horses need to rest.”

“You got that right.  I’m so tired I could sleep on that rock over there, except it’s in the wide open.”

“I think I have an answer to your problem.  Look over there at the bottom of the cliff on the other side of the stream.”  A long arm pointed in the near distance to their left.  “Are my eyes deceiving me?  I think I see two caves, one for us and one for the horses, not too far from the water.”

“I see them, too, and to me they look perfect for gettin’ some much needed rest.”  

The two men urged their mounts off the road.  They stopped at the edge of the stream, splashed water on their faces and necks, then refilled the canteens. Next, they let the horses drink their fill, while they gauged the depth of the waterway and the strength of the current.

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Pic_1210

The two long-time friends easily crossed the shallow and placid stream.  They led the horses the short way up the stony slope to the two caves, stopping in front of the larger one to unload their things.  Heyes began to carry the saddlebags, rifles, grubsack, canteens, bedrolls, and coats into the cave.

Curry, as was customary, led the chestnut and bay into the smaller, but still roomy, cave.  He untacked the animals and placed the tack against the dry cave wall on a small rock ledge.  The Kid groomed the horses, looking their limbs over for any nicks or cuts that they may have suffered as a result of the night ride.  Finding nothing that needed attention, he fed the two geldings.  Lastly, the Kid anchored his and Heyes’ lariats to large boulders leaning against one side of the cave.  Angling slightly inward, the blond strung the ropes across the mouth of the cave to secure the ends to a rocky small narrow arch conveniently attached to the wall on other side of the cave just inside the entrance.  “Are you all set, boys?  This should keep you penned in while me and Heyes get some sleep.”

By the time the Kid trudged wearily into the larger cave, Heyes had their camp set up.  He had a can of peaches open and some ham ready to pile onto bread he'd sliced and was trying to toast over the small fire that was just getting going.  He turned at the sound of slow footsteps.  “I thought you'd be hungry, having nothing but jail food for a while.  I know the law’s idea of rations is not your idea of a good meal.  It’s better we get something in our stomachs now so we sleep better.  We should be safe enough here.  When we get up later, we can see if we can find a pool to take a bath in.”

Blue eyes grew warm and sparked with genuine appreciation that matched the smile the Kid showed his best friend.  The smile faded and the eyes dropped down to study his dusty boots.  The gunslinger dropped down onto his bedroll and accepted the ham sandwich.  He continued to focus his attention at the ground or off to the side.  A slight pink tinge crept up his neck.

Brown eyes studied the man sitting next to him.  “Okay, now that I’ve fed you, I’m going to ask once more, why the wait?  And I want the truth ‘cause I know it’s something you don’t want to discuss.  You’re looking guilty and, as far as I know, there’s no reason to be.”

Curry shifted a little on the bedroll.  His hands picked at the crumbs speckling his faded red shirt.  He cleared his throat.  “This ham sandwich is really good.  And I love peaches; they’re a real treat.”

“Stop stalling.”  Heyes kept his brown eyes focused straight at the plainly uncomfortable younger man.

The Kid took a large bite of his sandwich and chewed slowly.  Swallowing, he finally met his partner's steady curious steady gaze.  “Okay.  There was a reason I asked you to wait.  A good one, I thought.”

“It had better be a good one.  We took a chance and cut it closer than I would have wanted.”

“Normally, I would agree with you,” Curry agreed quietly.

“I’m guessing this was an abnormal situation.  So, spill it.”  Heyes’ gaze never wavered.  He sat up straight, turned to the side and leaned forward to poke his friend in the chest with some force.

“I didn’t want to escape when Joe, the actin’ sheriff, was on duty.  Him and Sam, the deputy, switched shifts the night we normally would have done it.”

A dark head tilted slightly.  “Go on.”

“Well, you see, Joe is an alright guy.  I like him and his wife, Greta.  Joe is a gunsmith by trade and he treated me like a man, not like dirt.  He isn’t the best of card players, better at checkers, though.  Greta brought him and me breakfast and lunch each day, plus a snack for later on ‘cause all I got for dinner was beans.  Let me tell you, Heyes, Greta was a fantastic cook, never mind the cakes and strudel.  So I…”

Heyes shot forward even more and poked Kid in the chest even harder.  “I knew it!  I knew you got fatter.  Your pants are tight.”

The Kid shot up from his bedroll to stand over his naturally slim partner.  He stared down with flashing eyes and half-clenched fists.  “I AM NOT FAT!  I’m just more muscular than my beanpole partner, that’s all.”  The blond tugged at his snug waistband and muttered half to himself, “These are an old pair of pants.  They shrunk.”

Slim fingers hid a slow, wide grin.  The hand came down and the dimples hastily smoothed out.  Heyes stood up and went toe-to-toe with the Kid and a glare was directed at the younger man.  “You mean to tell me while I was up most of the night trying to plan how to get you out of jail, stuck in a cold camp on rocky, hard ground outside of town... the rest of the time you were playing games, eating home cooked food, probably talking up a storm about guns, and being sociable with the acting sheriff and his wife?”

Curry dropped his eyes and slid his hands into his pockets.  He shuffled his weight between his feet before lowering himself onto the bedroll.  He leaned back and sighed.  “I guess you could put it that way.”

“Darn right!” the older man humphed.  He stood there, hands on hips, for a minute in triumph before dropping to his own bedroll.  A moment passed; his voice took on a conciliatory tone.  “Kid, it’s better than being beaten and roughed up, which has happened to us in the past often enough.  You could have passed some of that cake out the window to me, though.”

Curry laughed.  “You know me better than that.  Thanks for gettin’ me out and if I’m ever in jail again and someone brings me cake, I’ll save you a slice.”

“With any luck, the governor will finally give us our amnesty and we won’t be in any more jails.”

Curry once again rose to sit upright.  His face became thoughtful and a little worried.  Sandy brows drew down and the blond head tilted while blue eyes peered sideways.  “Jailbreaks are against the law.  What’s the governor gonna think, especially since the Wyoming authorities know I was in jail and are sendin’ a bunch of marshals to escort me back? Five of them, I was told; they weren’t takin’ any chances on not getting’ me back to Cheyenne.”

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon Pic_1310

“We’ll just explain to Lom that the escape of Kid Curry, who retired and never shot anyone in all our robberies, is a fair exchange for the demise of the Jaspar Gang and saving the lives of two lawmen, which I’ve heard you had a lot to do with.  Lom can then talk to the governor, who will just have to understand.”

“The governor don’t have to do nothin’ in regards to us.  That’s the problem, Heyes.”  Kid sighed and his head dropped down to his chest for a moment.

“It’s not the first time since we’ve gone for amnesty that we’ve broken out of jail.  Remember Belle Jordan?  You stated your real name right there in the courtroom when you turned yourself in to save her from going to prison.  The governor didn’t retract the amnesty then after we escaped.  There was also the Tapscotts, helping us escape in Hadleyburg, and don’t forget Grace Turner breaking you out of jail in El Paso or was that Laredo?  

Heyes continued.  “Or even Leslie getting us out of jail to retrieve the confederate money – only it wasn’t confederate money and Prudence and the deputy stole it from us.  There was also the time that we escaped with Harry Briscoe from Deputy Wormser, although, technically we weren’t in jail only on our way to Cheyenne.  Come to think of it, Kid, the governor don’t seem to mind all that much if we don’t stay in jail.”

“Different governors, Heyes.  Maybe this one will mind.”

“Governor Zulik of Arizona didn’t seem to mind, either.  Maybe he can talk to this governor in addition to Lom talking to him.”

Curry yawned.  “Can’t do nothin’ about it now and I’m not goin’ back.”

Heyes laughed, which morphed into a big yawn.  “Don’t blame you, Kid.  We’ll send a telegram to Lom from Provo and go explain as soon as we can.  Let’s get some rest.”

Both amnesty-seeking ex-outlaws laid their weary heads down and it wasn’t long before slow, regular breathing was heard.

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Nell McKeon’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

Penski, Nightwalker and Gemhenry like this post

What a wonderful ending to a great story! I love that the Kid didn't want to escape the jail during Joe Bogert's watch but had a difficult time telling his partner why the delay. Heyes was very patient throughout this story. I loved reminiscing about all the different jail breaks the two of them made. Thank you for your contribution to Virtual Season this year!
goodjob
what a cute ending! Nice that the Kid was well treated. I enjoyed this.
Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up
Post Sat 27 May 2023, 3:23 pm by Kathy K
A really wonderful story to begin this year's VS. I loved that Kid handcuffed the deputy to the cell bars as the man really did deserve that. Like his partner, Kid has a big heart, not wanting to break out of jail on the night the respectful deputy was working. Thanks for a very enjoyable story.
Loved this whole chapter. I knew why Kid didn't want to escape the minute he told Heyes to wait, because of the food, just maybe it had something to do with Joe, but it was really the food. Heyes' plan worked really good, until the acting deputy came back early, but that was just a small hitch. Loved that Kid used the handcuffs on him. I did like their talk about all of their previous escapes, yeah the governors didn't really seem to mind about all of those. Great Story. I am also ingin6
A really great story which was action packed. A gun fight with the Kid saving an apparently ungrateful sheriff and his deputy to end up in jail again. I really enjoyed the story, thank you.
Great story to start the virtual season. Loves the detailed descriptions as well as the way your story started off the "head cinema" immediately. Kudos!
review nothing good ever happens
Post Thu 01 Jun 2023, 2:02 am by I'm Kattayl
Great story to start the virtual season!  I could see the episodes unfold in front of me as I read it.
"I thank my parents for the fact that I look like half the men roaming around."
An important fact on which your story is based on. They don't look or act(mostly)like outlaws - you use and implement this ASJ rule well in your story.
I like the two opposite sites with which you made your main characters dealing with Heyes/Curry.
A) the two friendly ex-outlaws trying to influence people in their favor and how they respond to them
B) on the other side the distrusting characters who persist not to underestimate them - and the outlaw sides of Heyes/Curry tend to let on they still can act dangerously.
After all - they are partly wolves in disguise!

I very much like the insinuated similarity in Heyes's and Curry's behavior in,
"H/C struggled to keep his poker face in face."
Both, each in his different way, tries to keep a low profile.

I had to laugh about Kid's attempt to play his innocent part of Thaddeus Jones - unfortunately, he exaggerates and pushes the deputy, with correlative consequences...
Excellent in character, that's Kid Curry; stubborn, not liking to be pushed around, looking for trouble despite his better judgment, risking a lot with his used gunfighter stare.
In character, too, is Heyes waiting patiently for his time to come to make his next move.
BTW, the black/white picture of Heyes's profile is one of my favorites!

I admire your written conversations through the jail window.
Heyes' worry often brings out his cynical side.
Also, their interaction in this scene is well-balanced.
The so called genius is asked to come up with a plan in a short time but he is wise enough to listen to his incarcerated partner's advises.
Fine integrated verbal exchanges due to stress.
What I really like in fanfic is the fact that, as for the moment, I have no idea how the story could go on.

Oh my, how could I not love 'Sauerbraten und Kartoffelklöße', followed by 'Apfelkuchen und Mohnkuchen (poppy seed cake)' ?

It is funny to imagine Heyes in full planning mode, irritated that it is not as easily appreciated as he would have imagined - but again, well-balanced. Heyes accepts Kid's decision, even if he doesn't like it as well as Kid's stubborn intention to get his Colt back!
Well done, the mutual worry is recognizable on an even level.
Kid's decision to postpone his escape is totally in accordance with the ASJ spirit; helping those people who are helping them.

A little bit of humor eases each story - funny, our ex-outlaws are human after all and no one likes to get teased about his weight...
The surprising turn of events reminds me of more than one filmed episode. Nothing goes as smooth as you expect and this time it's Kid's turn for retaliation.

Another example for occurring similarities is the fact that at the beginning, Heyes is the one who is eager to break his partner out of jail better sooner than later, and at the end it is Kid's turn to get nervous because Heyes has got the nerve to wait with their escape - roles are switched, you could say, close to the series and well balanced again.

With your final part you found a beautiful, light-hearted end as we know it from the series - Heyes wouldn't let up in his efforts to learn the truth.
Who would not appreciate a fine banter between the two of them? After all, even ex-outlaws can suffer from shrinking pants!
Well thought out end with good hints to the series.

Great start to the VS and thank you so much for an enjoyable,
well written story! I'm glad you joined the group around the producers. I appreciate all efforts of all including persons.

Nothing Good Ever Happens When We Split Up - Part 2 by Nell McKeon

Page 1 of 1