Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Empty
PostThe Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Pic_611

What do two fortune hunters, a pair of strangers with familiar names and a treasure map all have in common? The odds are good that Heyes and Curry will be able to figure it out.

Starring

Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry
The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Pete_a11

Guest Starring

Amanda Blake as Lacy
The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Amanda10

Christopher Connelly as Travis
The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Christ10

James Coburn as Caleb
The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw James_12

Charles Bronson as Ben
The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Charle10

The Odds Are Good
by Inside Outlaw

Kinsey City, Colorado, Fall 1883

Kid Curry yawned.  He took his eyes off his partner’s back and let his glance drift around the saloon.  A swamper was mopping up the rough planked floor and two barmaids sitting on the staircase chatted quietly.  The barkeep noisily rummaged through bottles on the back bar holding each one up to the dim gaslight over the bar and replacing the ones drained dry.  Through the glass in the front window, the Kid could see a tumbleweed appear out of the darkness, be briefly illuminated by the light pouring through the window, and ramble on into the night.  On the other side of the empty street, he could see the General Store’s sign swinging in the wind.  A faint glow to the east foretold the dawn.

“I ain’t takin’ no piece of paper.  I don’t bust my bones all day workin’ dirt for paper!  Pony up or fold,” growled a gruff voice.

Curry’s attention snapped back to the only occupied table.  A man in denim overalls and a scraggly, three-day beard was addressing the old man seated to Heyes’ left.  

Heyes gave the farmer a conciliatory smile and looked around the table before saying, “Why don’t we see what our friend here is offering up instead of turning him down cold?  Seems only fair.”

Another player with mutton-chop whiskers nodded and yawned.  “I’m willing to hear him out.”  

“It’s a map to my treasure,” said the old man proudly.  His gnarled hand reached into his tattered shirt pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper.  With reverence, he carefully opened the brittle document and smoothed it out on the pine table.  “It’s worth more’n that whole pot.”

Guffaws and snorts greeted his statement.  Even Heyes had difficulty keeping a straight face but his eyes were kind as he said, “Mr. Connor, you shouldn’t gamble away something so valuable.  It might be best if you fold.”

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Pic_210

“I can’t.  I already bet everythin’.  This is all I got left.”  Desperately, Connor begged his companions, “You got to let me play out this hand.  Please.”

Another man, dressed in rumpled city duds, grimaced.  “I’m truly sorry, Mr. Connor, but if you can’t ante up, you’re out.”

“I’m willing to let him play,” said mutton-chop.

“Kare, we all know you’ll extend credit to anyone,” said city duds.  “As your banker, I feel the need to tell you, one of these days you’ll parlay that general store into an empire or you’ll go bust.  I say cash or he’s out.”  The other players nodded their agreement with the last statement but Heyes was watching the old man.

Connor’s eyes watered with unshed tears.  “But…”  He bowed his unkempt gray head, his long beard quivering as he struggled with his emotions.

Heyes cleared his throat and eyes shifted to him.  “I’ll cover Mr. Connor’s bet.”  He took several chips from the pile amassed in front of him and tossed them into the pot.  “That’s all right with the rest of you, isn’t it?”  His tone made it clear he expected no argument and he didn’t get one.  

“I can’t let you do that, Smith,” said Connor.  “I ain’t taken charity my whole life and I don’t aim to start now.”

“It’s not charity, it’s an investment.  You win and I’ll expect you to repay me with interest.  Say two dollars on top of what I chipped in.  You lose and we both leave this table older and wiser.”  Heyes looked over to the Kid who was watching intently.

Kare grunted.  “Those are generous terms.  Mr. Smith, you obviously don’t have a head for business.”

Connor looked at Heyes.  “Why’re you doin’ this?”

“I’m a gambler.  Taking chances is what I do,” responded Heyes.

Slowly, Connor’s face broke out into a smile and he nodded.  “All righty, then, you’re on, Smith.  I win, you win.”  Happily, he drew two cards and carefully worked them into the hand he held.  

Heyes cashed out when it was his turn.  He picked up his chips and walked over to the Kid, still watching the game.

“Why’d you quit?” asked Curry so softly only Heyes could hear him.  “You were winnin’.”

“I don’t have the heart to clean him out.  Let someone else do it.”  Heyes glanced at his partner, his expression unsure.  “I guess maybe I should’ve stuck it out and helped him along.”

“You don’t cheat at poker.  You made it a point your whole life not to cheat at poker.”  Snickering, the Kid added, “It’s about the only thing you don’t cheat at.”

“Is it cheating if I don’t profit from it?” posed Heyes.

A groan returned their attention to the table in time for them to see the banker reach out and pull the pot toward him.  Connor looked pale with shock.

“Well, it’s done now,” said the Kid with finality.  “Let’s head out.  If we leave now, we can make Grand Lake by day after tomorrow.”  He started for the door but looked back over his shoulder.  Heyes was still watching the grief-stricken old man.  Curry walked back and gently gripped his partner’s forearm.  “C’mon, Joshua, give the man some privacy.  We both know he ain’t gonna let you help him again.”  He tugged firmly.

Heyes shook his head sadly and followed Curry out the door and up the street to where their horses stood tied to a hitching rail.  As he checked his horse’s cinch and retrieved his coat from his saddle bag, he kept his eyes on the entrance to the saloon.  The other players poured out the door bidding each other good evening and going off in opposite directions.  A few minutes later, Connor emerged just as the saloon lights winked out.  He looked up and down the street then stepped unsteadily off the sidewalk and started to cross.  His gait was odd, as though he was drunk.

“Kid, look,” said Heyes.  Curry looked up and followed his partner’s eyes.

Heyes continued, “Something’s wrong.  Connor didn’t finish one beer the whole game.”  He tied off his horse again and hurried toward the lonely figure now stopping and swaying alarmingly in the middle of the dusty road.  He broke into a run as Connor sank to the ground one hand clutched to his left side and he could hear the Kid running behind him.  Reaching the old man, Heyes knelt at his side and gently lifted Connor’s head out of the dirt.  

“Hey, hey, I gotcha, take it easy!  Mr. Connor?”  Heyes’ voice rose with each word.

“My heart…it hurts,” whimpered Connor.  Frantically, his right hand pawed at his left pocket.  The Kid slid down next to his partner as Connor grappled with a small piece of paper.  “T..t..take the map.”

“Thaddeus, get a doc,” urged Heyes.  He tried to still Connor’s hands but was slapped away.  The Kid jumped up and took off running down the street, his head turning right and left looking for some indication of a doctor’s office.  Heyes looked down at the prone man.  “Hang on, Mr. Connor, the doc’s coming.”

“He ain’t…gonna make it,” gasped Connor, pushing the folded paper into Heyes’ hand.  “Please, take it, Smith.  You was kind…and….I…I…pay my…debts.”  A soft gurgling noise punctuated the last statement as the light faded from the old man’s eyes.  Heyes sighed deeply, pushed the small bit of paper into his pocket and gently lowered the grayed head.  He heard someone running up to him.  Familiar boots appeared next to his knees and he tiredly said, “He’s gone.”

“I’m sorry.  I couldn’t find an office.”

“It’s all right.  Nothing was going to save him.”  Heyes gently closed the old man’s eyes.

“Heyes, we need to go.  Someone’s goin’ to be comin’ around soon and we can’t afford to wait to meet the sheriff.”

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Pic_110

“I know but I hate to leave him like this.”  Heyes took off his bandana and folded it into a large square.  Lifting Connor’s head, he positioned the cloth so when he lowered the dead man’s head, it was shielded from the dirt.  He stood up and removed his hat, holding it across his chest for a moment before placing it back on his head and turning away.

The big bay shuffled up a narrow, rocky slope and stood at the top, heaving.  His rider turned in the saddle and watched his partner’s buckskin struggling nearer.  The gelding stopped next to the bay and both men read the weather-beaten sign proclaiming “Stillwater Pass” that hung askew on a post held by a single, rusty nail.

“You doin’ all right?” asked Kid Curry.

“I’m fine,” replied Heyes.  “It’s just…Connor reminded me of Seth.”
The Kid nodded.  “Yeah, he kinda did me, too.”

“I guess it sort of brought it all back.  You know, Bilson and the desert.”

“I figured somethin’ was botherin’ you.  You’ve been pretty quiet all mornin’.”

Heyes was looking out over the vista opening up below them.  “It’s sad.  Both of them thinking they’d made their score only to have it snatched away.  Neither of them had a chance to enjoy it.  It doesn’t seem right.  What’s the point of working so hard?”  

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Pic_310

The Kid looked at him quizzically.  “Are you talkin’ about Connor and Seth or have we somehow got onto talkin’ about us?”

Heyes laughed weakly.  “How many times have we gotten our amnesty hopes up only to have it turn bad?  Is it all going to end up being a great big waste of our time?”

“Maybe this time will be different.  Lom’s telegraph sounded urgent.”

“All his telegraphs sound urgent.  What if we do get it this time?  What’s to stop something from happening?  Until word spreads, folks will still think we’re wanted and, even when it does, it ain’t gonna stop would-be gunslingers from wanting to try their luck against you.”

“Heyes, c’mon.  It ain’t like you to turn all dumpish; that’s my job.  You’re worryin’ me.”  The Kid lifted his reins.  “Lom’s not the only thing waitin’ for us in Grand Lake.  There’s also a brand, spankin’ new saloon with lots of pretty gals and all those miners with money burnin’ holes in their pockets just waitin’ for you to come and take it.”

The dark-haired ex-outlaw smiled slightly.  “You always do know how to cheer me up, Kid.”

“I knew it!  I told you, Thaddeus!” snarled Hannibal Heyes as he left the Grand Lake Telegraph Office.  He viciously crumpled up the telegram in his hand.  “Lom couldn’t even be bothered to meet us in person!”

“He explained that.  There was no point in him meetin’ us.  Look, no one expected the governor to get sick.  Lom didn’t say the amnesty was off; only that whatever he was goin’ to tell us was gonna have to be put on hold for a while.”

“A while?!  How long is a while?!”  Heyes was up in the Kid’s face, his own turning bright red as he shook the telegram at his partner.  “First, it was a new governor and we had to be patient.  Wait to see if he’d honor Thayer’s deal.  Then it was ‘too soon’.  Now, it’s ‘he’s sick and wait a while'!  All this time, we’re getting chased and shot at, run out of every one-horse town we come across.  You know what?  I’ve had it! I’m done!  Through.”

The Kid calmly asked, “So what now?”

Heyes threw the telegram to the ground.  “Now, I’m going to go play some poker, drink some good whiskey, and find one of those pretty girls you were talking about.  Then, maybe then, I’ll be able to figure out what I wanna do next.”

“I’ll come with you; you just let me know when you’re done thinkin’.  I’ll be waitin’.”

The next morning, Kid Curry sat at a sunny corner table in Lacy’s Café.  The waitress standing next to him poured coffee in the mug by his right hand.  Her dishwater-blond hair was piled untidily on the top of her head, long strands escaping down the back of her neck.  A faded green apron encircled her generous waist and laugh lines crinkled in the corners of her eyes.  “Thank you, ma’am,” said the polite ex-outlaw.

“Call me Lacy.  Ma’am makes me feel old,” said the middle-aged woman.  “You sure have a fine appetite on you, Mister.”

“I’m Thaddeus, Thaddeus Jones,” the Kid grinned.  “Lacy, if your food was any better I’m afraid I might have to marry you.”

Beaming, Lacy scuffed him on the shoulder.  “If your tongue was any smoother, I might just have to say yes.”

A bell over the door tinkled merrily but the dark-haired man who stumbled into the café was anything but merry-looking.  Heyes was bleary-eyed and a man going out the same door cringed away from him and grabbed his nose, but the ex-outlaw failed to notice.  His face still bore a scowl.  The Kid sighed as his partner sat down across from him.  Lacy pulled another mug from the pocket of the apron she wore and wordlessly poured Heyes a cup of coffee, nodded to the Kid, and moved on to her next customers.

Heyes slurped his coffee noisily until it was empty and banged the mug back down on the table.  He scowled at the Kid who sat watching him.  “What?” he snapped.

“You look mean enough to steal a fly from a blind spider.”

“Oh, trust me, I’m feeling a whole lot meaner than that.”

“Seemed like maybe you were gettin’ over it last night, but not so much this mornin’.”

“I don’t think I’m gonna get over it.”

The Kid looked at him carefully before speaking quietly.  “So what are you sayin’?  You want to go back to our old life?”

Heyes’ anger deflated and he exhaled, rubbing his face.  He didn’t say anything for a minute.  “Is that what you want?”

“I’m not the one all worked up here, partner.  What do you want?”

“I want the amnesty.  I want to stop looking over my shoulder or into every face waiting to see if I’m recognized.  I want to stop running.  I want…I want to go back and make different choices.”  Heyes sat back in his chair, his face sad.  He looked around the tiny restaurant.  Several diners were enjoying breakfast.  The sun streamed in through the glass window, highlighting the silverware on the table behind them, the whole place looked cheerful, but not Heyes.  

“What’s done is done,” said the Kid pointedly as he picked up his knife and fork, sawing off a piece of steak and putting it into his mouth.  “Have some breakfast, you’ll feel better once you eat.”

Heyes shook his head.  “I’m not hungry.  Let’s pay up and get outta here.”  He fished in his pocket and pulled out a fistful of coins, dropping them on the table.  Included with the coins was Connor’s folded map.  Heyes saw it and picked it up, staring at it for a second, then carefully unfolded it and smoothed it out on the table.  He scanned the crude map and read the notes down the side slowly before looking up at the Kid.  “What if there really is a treasure?”

It was Curry’s turn to snort and he did, loudly.  “You want us to go on a treasure hunt?”

“Shhh,” hushed Heyes as he glanced around to see if they’d been overheard.  Two men at the next table were watching him with curiosity but quickly looked away.  “Someone might hear you.”

The Kid laughed.  “And what?  Think we’re nuts?”  He picked up another bite of his meal.

Heyes turned back to the Kid.  “I’m serious!  What if this map is real?  Those old miners are famous for hiding their nuggets.  Claim-jumping is a real problem.  Connor could’ve buried his grubstake.”

The Kid chewed thoughtfully then said, “Maybe, but I don’t recall Connor sayin’ he was a miner.”  

“What else could it be?  There’s a rush on in these parts in case you haven’t noticed.”

“I don’t know.  The last time we went on a treasure hunt, we nearly got ourselves killed by Indians.”

Heyes leaned closer into the table and lowered his voice even further.  “So we know better this time.  We’ll be careful.  Thaddeus, this could be the answer to all our problems!  With a big enough score, we could disappear.  Change our names, buy a place somewhere far away from these parts, maybe go up to Canada and homestead.”

Rubbing his chin, the Kid visibly contemplated the idea then nodded.  “You could be right.  Maybe we should find out what old Connor buried.  What else do we have to do?”

Heyes leaned back in his chair, a wide smile creasing his face.  “You know what?  I think I’m hungry after all.”

The Kid held up his hand to beckon Lacy to the table.  When she arrived, he politely made an introduction.  “Lacy, this here’s my partner, Joshua Smith, I do believe he’s feelin’ peckish now.”

“What would you like, Mr. Smith?” she asked Heyes.

“Bring me your best breakfast and more coffee, please.”  Heyes gave her his most brilliant smile.

She smiled back, “If my coffee perked you up like that, I’m going to have to up my price.”  As she filled his mug, she noticed the map spread out in front of him.  “You boys miners?  ‘Cause if you are, you need to find another line of work.  There’s no ore in those mountains,” Lacy said as she nodded at the map.

Hastily gathering up the map, Heyes shoved it in his pocket and smiled innocently up at her again.  “No, we’re not miners.  That’s a map of a ranch.  We’ve been offered work there and were just tryin’ to figure out how to get to it.”

“What’s the name of the ranch?”

Blushing, the Kid lied, “We don’t know, we only have the map to get there.”

Lacy laughed out loud.  “You took work and you don’t know where?”  Her loud voice brought them attention from all the other diners.

Heyes colored and said, “Please, we’re embarrassed enough.  I don’t want anyone to overhear.”

Her blue eyes dancing merrily, Lacy said, “God love you and good luck to you.  You’re gonna need it.”

The frosty morning had rimed the high country grasses and caused puffs of vapor to exit from four pairs of nostrils.  Light filtered through the mixed aspen and spruce forest shining on two riders atop their horses.  The animals fidgeted as they stood waiting for their riders’ next cues.  An open meadow could be seen through the trees and mountains rose in dusty layers of purple beyond it.  Dark storm clouds were forming to the west.

Heyes sat atop his buckskin, studying the map while the Kid scanned the area.  “You know, I’m not feelin’ too good about this treasure hunt.  Seems to me, we’ve been lost for a couple of days and the weather’s turnin’ colder.  We’ve been ridin’ in circles all mornin’.”  

“Don’t call it a treasure hunt.”

“What do you want me to call it?  A fishin’ expedition?  A fool’s errand, maybe?  How about…”  

“A chance, Kid.  Call it a chance,” said Heyes, seriously, folding up and putting away the map.  He protectively patted his pocket.  “If this pans out, we can finally quit drifting.  We can buy us a little place, change our names, our looks, maybe even live a life we could learn to love.”  He closed his legs and sent his buckskin into a slow walk.  

The Kid’s horse fell into step next to the buckskin.  “You really think you can settle down?  I’m not so sure.”

“I’m sure I’d like a chance to find out.  Ah, here’s the trail.”  Heyes pulled up his buckskin at an intersection.  Cutting off to the left was a well-worn single track.  He laid a rein on the right side of his gelding’s neck and they turned onto the new path leading towards the meadow.  The Kid followed, his bay happy to browse on the shrubs overgrowing the path as he ambled behind.

“You see which way they went?” asked the lanky man.  His partner, shorter and stockier, was leaning over the neck of his roan studying the trail ahead of him.  They were the two men from the café.

“Looks like they turned off here,” said the stocky man.  “Caleb, you’d better be sure about this.”

“I ain’t sure about anything.  I just heard that dark-haired fella say ‘treasure’ and my ears pricked up.”

“Treasure could mean a whole passel of things, but I admit they did leave town like their tails was lit afire.”

“What’ve we got to lose, Travis?” asked Caleb.  “Mining was a bust and, between you and me, it was a little too hard on my back.”

Travis grinned displaying several missing teeth, the remaining ones all darkened by tobacco plugs.  “You got me there, partner.”

“Don’t look, Heyes, but I think we’re bein’ followed,” said the Kid.  His horse meandered through a large colony of spindly, immature aspen trees.  The buckskin next to him carefully avoided a low hanging branch as his rider ducked across the animal’s shoulder.

“Yep.  Two men, both armed, professionals.  I saw them at the café.  You think they recognized us?”

“Don’t know.  What d’you wanna do?”

“We can’t shake them here; not enough cover.  Let them follow, the first chance we get, we’ll double back and see if we can’t persuade them to vamoose.”

The Kid chuckled and when Heyes looked over at him, he shrugged.  “You sound funny when you try to talk South American.”  

“Hold it right there, fellas,” said Curry as he emerged from a thick tangle of willows alongside a creek crossing, his Colt in his hand.  

Caleb and his partner quickly pulled up their horses and raised their hands.  “Don’t shoot, mister.  We don’t mean no harm!” cried Travis.  

Heyes rode out of the tree line with his weapon drawn and leading the Kid’s bay.  As he reached the stream, he pulled up and smiled devilishly.  “Drop your gun belts real easy and maybe you’ll keep breathing.”

Travis was the first one to divest himself of his weapons.  His gun belt landed on the sandy bank with a soft thud and he went onto digging a penknife out of his pants pocket.  His hands slid nervously into the shaft of his boot where he drew out a sharpened hoof pick.  Finished, he looked to his partner, his hands raised.

“Why were you followin’ us?” challenged the Kid angrily.

“Why, we wasn’t…” stammered Travis.

“Save it.  We spotted you on our trail yesterday,” snapped Heyes, his pistol aimed at Caleb.

Making a show of it, Caleb slowly undid his belt and held it to the side for a long moment before contemptuously dropping it next to the other man’s gun.  He crossed his arms over his saddle horn and smiled.  Leaning over the horn, he said conversationally, “Now, there ain’t no reason to get proddy.  We just happened to overhear you talking about your treasure in that café and thought we’d see if you might want some help finding it.  Me and Travis know these parts pretty good.”

“You do, huh?” said Heyes, skeptically.  He looked west and pointed.  “What’re those mountains called?”

Caleb squinted.  “The Arapahoe call them, Ni-chebe-chii.  They say it means ‘the place of No Never Summer’.  See that one with the clouds setting on it?  There’s a pass just north.  That’s where you’re going, right?  It’s rough up there; easy place to get lost.  And, boy howdy, when it snows, it snows hard and deep.”

Turning to face his partner, Heyes’ brows shot up and he mouthed, “He’s right.”

The Kid looked back at Heyes blandly but addressed Caleb.  “What do you have in mind?”  He ignored his partner’s glare.

“Well, seeing as you fellas have the map and we have the know-how, we’ll help you get to where you’re going.”

“And how much is that going to cost us,” asked Curry without any real interest.

Caleb appeared to consider the question, a tiny smile playing at the corners of his mouth.  “Hmmm, why don’t we say a fifty-fifty split?”

Heyes’ own mouth dropped on and he sputtered.  “Fifty-fifty!  You’ve got to be kidding!”

“The way I see it, mister, is that there treasure map you got don’t do you no good if you can’t find the treasure,” said Caleb smugly.

“Who said anything about a treasure?”  The Kid stared at Caleb coldly.

The tall, lanky man grinned back at him.  “Your partner did. We heard him in the café and I reckon he just confirmed it.”  

It was the Kid’s turn to glare at his partner.  “Sixty-forty and it’s a deal,” said Curry without waiting for Heyes’ agreement.

“Deal!”  Caleb held out his hand.  The Kid looked at it for a few seconds then holstered his gun, walked over, reached up, and took it.

“Wait just a minute…” protested Heyes, still holding his gun.

“Thaddeus Jones,” said the Kid.  “This here’s my partner, Joshua Smith.  Joshua, put your gun away.  We just struck a deal.”

Caleb laughed, “Smith and Jones, you say?  Well, don’t that beat all?!  That there’s my partner, Travis Smith, and I go by Caleb Jones.”  Travis seemed surprised, but quickly nodded.  All four men looked at each other warily.  Curry’s face looked a little sick and Heyes’ frown deepened to a dark scowl.  

“Guess we’d better get real friendly-like fast and use our first names or we’re gonna git confused,” said Travis.

“You still not talkin’ to me?” asked the Kid a few hours later as the shadows were growing longer and evening was coming on quickly.  Four horses ambled placidly, strung out along the switch-backed path up a steep, rocky ridge.  The sun resting on the peaks to the west was glowing pinkly through thick, darkened clouds.  A cold wind gusted up the hillside.
“No, I’m not!” growled Heyes, glancing at Caleb and Travis riding in front before turning to his partner.  “What the hell were you thinking making a deal with these two?”

The Kid frowned.  “I was thinkin’ I was tired of being lost and there’s a storm comin’ in.”

“Were you thinking?  That’s good to know because from over here it didn’t seem like you were thinking at all!” Heyes groused.  “Smith and Jones!  Wonder what they did to make ‘em need those aliases?  Oh, let me think.  If we’re lucky, they robbed a few banks like us but, if we’re not, they probably killed people!”

Curry’s frown grew bigger.  “This is you not talkin’ to me?”

“You know what?  You aren’t the one who’s gonna lay awake all night wondering if we’re going to get our throats cut for a damned map that may or may not lead to a treasure.”

“Gimme the map.”  

“What?”

“I said, give me the map,” the Kid firmly demanded as he held out his hand and carefully pulled his horse up alongside his partner’s mount.  Heyes passed over the map.  Curry glanced at it and tucked it away.  “Hey Caleb,” bellowed the Kid.  “According to the map I have, we should be taking a trail to the right soon.”

“Yep, that’s true,” answered Caleb.  Travis turned in his saddle to look back speculatively at the two ex-outlaws.

Smiling, the Kid gave him a happy little wave while snarling under his breath to Heyes, “Now you can stop worryin’.  You can also stop talkin’.  Again.”

Heyes started to open his mouth, but quickly shut it when cold blue eyes turned towards him.

The campfire crackled and big wet snowflakes fell silently on the shoulders of the four men hunched around the flames.  A small stewpot rested on a large rock in the middle of the fire and, occasionally, a gloved hand would reach out and give the contents a stir with a stick left in the pot for that purpose.

“Does it always snow this early in these parts?” asked the Kid, his breath puffing out with each syllable.

“It snows every month of the year here.  I seen blizzards on the fourth of July.”  Travis sipped from the mug of coffee nestled in his hands.  “The good part is it ain’t gonna last long.  By noon tomorrow it’ll be melted off.  Ground’s still warm.”

“You’ve spent a lot of time here?”  Heyes shifted uncomfortably, shivered, and tugged his saddle blanket tighter around his shoulders.  His lashes had a buildup of snow on them and his hat had turned almost white.

“Me and Caleb know these mountains like the backs of our hands.  We hi…hunted out here many a time.”  Travis was suddenly intent on the contents of his mug.

Both Heyes and the Kid caught the hesitation but didn’t react.  Instead, they watched Caleb turning out their hobbled horses in the meadow below their camp.  

Smiling in a friendly fashion, Heyes bluntly asked, “So why the need for aliases?”

Travis looked up, shocked by the question.  Several emotions sprinted across his face before he stammered out, “W…what?”

“Smith and Jones.  Why’re you calling yourselves Smith and Jones?  What did you do?”

Travis attempted to look baffled but failed.  “What do you mean?  Those’re our names.”

Heyes pressed on.  “Oh, c’mon, no one believes that.”

“Why not?  Ain’t those your names?”

“Yes, they are but no one ever believes us.”

“Us neither.  Hmm, maybe we’re related,” mused Travis.  “Now wouldn’t that be somethin’?”

“Something,” confirmed Heyes, turning to watch Caleb rustling through the underbrush.

“Brrr,” said the tall man, blowing into his fists to warm them.  “Horses’ll be all right.  The creek is still running and there’s forage.”

“Travis was just telling us how you got your names,” said Heyes.  

Caleb’s eyes cut to his partner, the storm gathering in them rivaling the incoming weather.  Travis shook his head and Caleb took a moment to visibly control his annoyance before he turned back to Heyes and softly said, “Why are you tryin’ to cause trouble, Joshua?  I thought we had us a friendly deal.”

“I just like to know who I’m doing business with.”  Heyes sat stirring the pot.  

The Kid sat across from the two men, watching, his gun hand noticeably unencumbered.

“I could say the same thing but I ain’t.  You know why?  ‘Cause I know to leave well enough alone.”

“And here I thought it was because we have your guns,” stated Heyes grimly.

Caleb grinned.  “Well, that too.  C’mon.  Why spoil a good thing?  We’ll get you to your treasure, take our cut, and you’ll never see us again.”

“Why not just tell us?” questioned Curry.  “We already know you’re wanted.”

“Yeah?  So are you!” blurted Travis.

“Not for murder.  Are you?” countered Heyes.

A belly laugh escaped from Caleb.  “Listen to us.  We’re a bunch of crooks setting around expecting to be honest with each other!”

This provoked a small smile from Heyes.  “You have a point.”

“But I’ll answer that question.  We never killed no one.”

Heyes watched him as he spoke, his head cocked.  

“What do you think?” asked the Kid.

“I think he’s telling the truth,” replied Heyes, “but we’ll keep the guns.”

Last edited by royannahuggins on Thu 07 Jan 2021, 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw
Post Wed 06 Jan 2021, 11:58 pm by royannahuggins
The four mounted men paused at the summit.  The view was tremendous.  Snow-capped peaks vied with puffy, low clouds to cap a broad vista.  A huge valley opened up below them and stretched on to the next mountain range.  Sunlight sparkled on small lakes surrounded by patches of blue spruce and aspen and a meandering river bisected the dried grasses, flowing westward.  Elk and deer dotted the landscape unaware of the interlopers.

“This here’s the Divide.  Where next?” said Caleb tersely.

The Kid retrieved the map from inside his sheepskin coat and opened it.  After a minute, he put it away and pointed northwest of where they stood.  In between the trees, a glimmer of water reflected light as the river disappeared into forest.  “There.  We follow the river for a day.”

“All right,” said Caleb.  “The river it is.”

Heyes swept his arm out in a grand gesture.  “After you.”  

Caleb turned to Heyes.  “I ain’t feelin’ the trust here, Joshua.  Why do you always ride behind us?  You ain’t planning to backshoot us, are you?”

The Kid gave him a hard grin.  “You’ve got to build trust.  One step at a time.”

“I hope we don’t run outta them steps,” mumbled Travis.

A hard day’s ride later and the foursome stood at the entrance to a box canyon in the early morning sunlight.  Two tall cottonwood trees guarded the opening and tumbleweeds piled up against a barely visible, dilapidated section of fencing that crossed the narrow mouth of the canyon.

“Humpf,” said Travis.  “Looks like an old homestead.”

“Looks like a trap to me,” growled the Kid.

“Well, only one way to find out.”  Caleb dismounted and began tearing away tumbleweeds exposing a small break in the fence.  Once free of debris, he swept his arm in a gesture mocking Heyes’ previous one and bowed.  “After you.”

Heyes nudged the buckskin forward, drew his gun, and glanced at the Kid.  Curry fell into line behind him also drawing his pistol and scanning the top edges of the canyon before sweeping his eyes across the narrowed land.  

Caleb called out from behind them, “Seeing as how you have our guns, we’ll be along shortly once you give us the all clear.  Two shots ought to do it.”  He chuckled and turned to Travis.  “Being unarmed has its good points.”

A few minutes later, a shot rang out and reverberated on the rocky cliffs.  It was followed by another one.  Once the echo died away, Caleb and Travis mounted their horses rode in to where Heyes and the Kid stood waiting.  Curry held the open map in his hands and he looked up as they dismounted.

“So,” said Travis, “where do we start diggin’?”

“Your guess is as good as ours,” Heyes answered.  “The map led us to this canyon, but it’s up to us to find the treasure.”  He pulled a pick and a shovel from the pack tied behind his saddle cantle and handed the pick to Travis then held out the shovel to Caleb.  “We brought the tools, you get to go first.”

Caleb grinned but didn’t take the shovel.  Instead, he pulled a coin out of his pocket. “We’ll flip you for it.”

“Where have I heard that before?” Curry smiled.  “Seems only sportin’, Joshua.”

“Let me see that coin,” snapped Heyes.  Caleb handed it over and he examined it carefully, flipping it over and over and weighing it in the palm of his hand.  “I’ll do the flip.”  

Caleb laughed.  “I do believe you have a control problem, Josh, but you go right ahead.”

Heyes flipped the coin in the air, called “Head’s” and all three men watched as the coin came down, ricocheted off a small stone and landed a foot away, tails side up.

Travis solemnly passed the pick to the Kid as Caleb said, “We’ll be over there dozing in the shade until lunchtime.  Try to keep the noise down, will you?”

“How ‘bout here?” asked Curry.

“We already covered that ground.”  Heyes was leaning on his shovel examining a large blister in the palm of his hand.

“We did?”

Exasperated, Heyes pointed to a disturbed pile of soil.  “There.  See?  We’ve covered almost all of this ground and found nothing.  Not a damned thing.”

“Sheesh, who put the burr up your saddle?  You’re the one who wanted to go on a treasure hunt.”

“Don’t call it that!”

“C’mon, that’s exactly what this is and you’re actin’ no different than Binford.”

Heyes’ anger reddened his face.  “How can you say that?!  Binford was a murderer!”

“You know what I meant.  Binford got hoodwinked by us because he was lazy enough to think he could make easy money.  One thing you and I ought to know by now is there is no such thing as easy money.”

Both men turned when they heard leaves rustling behind them.

“Now, now, fightin’ ain’t gonna get the job done,” drawled Travis.

“You boys take a break.  Me and Travis will take over.”  Caleb reached for the shovel Heyes held but it was pulled back out of his reach.  

“Joshua…” began the Kid, warningly.

“What’s your problem?” snarled Caleb.  “You think we’re gonna steal your precious treasure?  We’re in a box canyon!  There ain’t no way out but the way we came in.”

“All you gotta do is sit there and cover us with our own guns,” sneered Travis.

Heyes scowled for a long moment but eventually he sighed and shrugged his shoulders before holding out the shovel.  “You’re right, I’m sorry.  I haven’t trusted you and I sure haven’t given you any reason to trust me.”  Caleb didn’t say anything in response but when he reached for the shovel, Heyes let it go.  “You two have kept your word.  You haven’t tried anything and you led us here just like you said you would.  I reckon we can split the profits fifty-fifty if that’s okay with Thaddeus.”

“Um, well, um, yeah, I…I guess that’s fair,” Curry hemmed and hawed but what he said was drowned out by Caleb and Travis’ cheers and hooting.  He watched the other partners enthusiastically choose another spot and start digging then he turned and glared at his partner.  “We had a deal, Heyes, sixty-forty!  Don’t you think you should’ve asked me before you went changin’ it?”

An angelic smile bloomed on Heyes’ face.  “Don’t be greedy, Kid.  After all, it’s easy money, right?”

“Arggh,” uttered Curry.

Heyes laughed and threw his arm across his partner’s shoulders.  “Besides, fifty percent of nothing is still nothing.”

The sun was just beginning to rise and a pale light slipped over the top of the canyon.  Four dirty faces were reflected in the meager light of a small campfire where several opened cans of beans sat warming up on the burned-down coals.  The men were exhausted from their labors and it showed.  Dust covered everyone from head to toe.

“It’s been three days and we’ve dug up a whole lotta nothin’,” moaned Travis.  “I sure hope we find this here treasure today ‘cause my blisters’ blisters are gonna be birthin’ more babies.”

“There’s not too many more places left to look.  We covered almost every inch of this canyon,” said Caleb, sorrowfully.  “I guess this is just another wild goose chase.  Travis and me sure are getting to be experts at them.”

“We know that feelin’,” commiserated the Kid.  He glanced at Heyes but his partner was looking into the canyon, a speculative expression on his face.  One the Kid knew well.  “Joshua, what are you thinkin’?”

The dark head snapped back to his three companions and his chuckled delightedly.  All signs of tiredness fell from his face and Heyes grinned like a child on Christmas morning.  “We’ve been going about this all wrong!”

“What d’you mean?” Caleb’s attention was now riveted on Heyes.

“We’ve explored the whole floor of this canyon.”

“So?” The Kid’s eyes narrowed, then widened, and he started laughing.

“What’s so funny?” Travis was frowning, looking from one laughing man to the other.  Caleb just gawked at them.

“Up,” wheezed the Kid.  “We haven’t looked up.”  He pointed to the cliff walls while trying to contain his mirth.

“That’s right,” said Heyes.  “The ancient tribes used to protect their valuables and food by building granaries into the cliffs near where they lived or along routes they traveled.  They’re all over Colorado.  I bet these mountains are riddled with old granaries.  There are nooks and crannies all over these walls.”

“Granaries!” gushed Caleb, his face brightening with excitement.

“What’s a granary look like?” asked Travis, completely confused.

“That’s just it.  They look like a bunch of rocks amongst a bunch of other rocks.  When it gets light enough, we’ll explore again but we’ll explore up this time.”  Heyes grabbed a can of beans from the coals.  After shoveling in a mouthful, he burbled with glee.  The others happily mimicked him.

By late morning, they’d identified two likely granaries.  One was tucked high up on the cliff under a low ledge.  The other was overgrown by a small, scrubby pine.  

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Pic_5_10

Caleb tied together four lariats and multiple pieces of cordage pirated from each man’s pack.  Using a heavy branch for weight, he tied one end of the linked-together rope to it.  After several attempts, he managed to lob the branch around the trunk of the pine and pulled it sharply back wedging the branch between the cliff face and the tree.  He and Travis clung to the rope to test its strength.  It held.  Letting go, he stood back and grinned at Heyes.  “We tied the rope, you get to go first.”

Heyes grinned back.  “I’ll toss you for it.” He pulled his lucky coin out and passed it to Caleb who put it between his teeth and bit it.  With a nod, Caleb tossed it back.  Heyes flipped it high into the air and called, “Head’s.”  All four men gathered together as the coin plunked down in the sandy soil, head’s up.  Smiling, Heyes swept out his arm.  “After you.”  

Caleb looked at Travis.  “You’re smaller than me.  You go on up.”

Travis didn’t look as though he minded.  He grabbed the rope and began shinnying up it as Caleb and Heyes held it still.  The Kid stood back quite a ways, his head tipped with his hand to his hat, and calling out encouragements to Travis.  

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Pic_411

Minutes later, Travis reached the tree.  He managed to grasp a small outcropping and get one foot on another rough spot on the cliff wall.  Leaning his weight around the tree, he pushed aside several rocks exposing a small chamber.  He slipped his hand inside and felt around. The men down below craned their necks to watch and all three of them jumped when Travis yelped and nearly toppled from his perch.  He grappled for the rope and, catching hold of it, he steadied himself.  “Something bit me!” he yelled, putting the edge of his left hand in his mouth then pulling it out to look at it.

“Snake?” yelled Heyes.

“Did it draw blood?” hollered Caleb.  

“Naw,” cried Travis.  “Just surprised me, is all.  Must’ve been a mouse or chipmunk.”

“What about the treasure?”  The Kid was still shading his eyes watching Travis.

“Ain’t nothin’ here.  I’m coming down.”  

Visibly disappointed, Caleb and Heyes held onto the rope as he descended.  The Kid returned and watched Travis drop the last few feet to the ground.  “That other one’s gonna be a bear to get at,” he said.  “Someone’s gonna have to drop down from the top and if that rope doesn’t hold…”

“We took our turn,” said Caleb, “that one’s yours.”  

“Thaddeus…” began Heyes.

“Don’t Thaddeus me.  This whole thing was your idea.”  The Kid stood with his hands on his hips.  “Besides, you’re scrawnier than I am.”

“Fine,” grumbled Heyes, “but all three of you better be hanging onto that rope.”

“Easy now,” said Caleb, leaning over the edge of the cliff and watching as Heyes bounced and bumped his way down to a long ledge jutting out from the cliff, parallel to the ground and several hundred feet above the scrubby, sage-covered floor of the canyon.

Heyes clutched the rope to his chest with his legs wrapped around it.  He kept his face turned to the wall as best he could, not looking down, and, every once in a while, a muffled grunt would escape his compressed lips.

Travis and the Kid were a short distance back from the edge, their heels dug into the level ground.  Sweat beaded the foreheads of both men and their gloved hands tightly gripped the rope.  The Kid winced with every movement from Heyes but his jaw was clenched and the rope was held securely.

“A little more…No!  Stop!  Not so fast!”  Caleb turned around and waved his hands at the two men.

Both men suddenly leaned back, tightened their grips even more, and breathed out soft curses.

“All right, that’s good.  Take it up a little.”

Curry gave Caleb a thoroughly sullen look, then dropped his head again as he gathered the rope closer.  His back bowed with effort and his groaned loudly.  Travis sat down and pulled mightily.

“There.  That’s it.  He’s on it!”

The Kid stumbled backwards and fell over Travis as pressure was suddenly released on the rope.  Curry extricated himself from the smaller man and quickly scrambled to his feet.  He hurried to the ledge.  Falling down on his belly, he peered over and saw Heyes waving up to him, a huge grin etching his partner’s face.  “It’s here!” called Heyes.  He pointed under the ledge.  Travis and Caleb stood on either side of the Kid now, and all three watched as Heyes slipped under the overhang and disappeared from view.  Rocks tumbled into sight before clattering off the ledge and noisily falling to earth.  Heyes re-emerged a few minutes later, holding a small strongbox tucked under his left arm.  His pleased chortles floated up and his three companions cheered.  

Curry put his hands to his mouth and yelled, “Rope up!  We’ll pull you up!”  Happily, he grabbed the rope again and waved to Travis to come help.  Caleb walked over.  “Want me to take over?  You can sit this one out.”

The Kid smiled.  “Naw, that’s my partner, my responsibility, but three sets of hands are better’n two.”

When Heyes yelled, “Ready!” all three men slowly began pulling him up, hand over hand, inch by inch until, after what seemed like an eternity, a dusty dark-haired head appeared over the edge.  Heyes crawled up and collapsed, panting.  The Kid released the rope and slid to the ground, kneeling next to his best friend, out of breath as well.  Caleb and Travis began slapping each other on the back.

“Hold it right there,” said an unfamiliar voice accompanied by the unmistakable sound of a gun cocking.  “Hands up.”

Four heads snapped around towards the newcomer, each one taking in the low slung, tied-down holster and the murderous glint in the dark, mustached man’s eyes.  Eight pairs of hands slowly and carefully rose.

“That’s good, we all understand each other.  Now, you there,” he said aiming his pistol at Heyes.  “Slide that box this way and the four of you move on over there where I can see you.  Oh, and be sure to drop your weapons.”  A casual wave of his gun finished his sentence.

Travis and Caleb instantly complied as the Kid helped Heyes to his feet.

“Mister, I don’t know who you are…” began Heyes, the box tucked to his chest.

“That’s good.  ‘Cause I’d have to kill you if you did,” growled the man.  “Save your breath.  I’m here for the box, but I’ll take your horses, too.  I reckon it’ll take you a few days to walk to the nearest town and I’ll be in the next state by then.  Now, put it down and slide it over this way.”

Heyes’ eyes cut sideways to the Kid’s for a second before he slowly bent over and put the box on the ground.  He cautiously slid it forward a few feet.  As he started to straighten up, his cupped hands flung a plume of dirt at the gunman, who stepped back reflexively.  Heyes dropped flat to the ground as Curry smoothly drew and fired.  A second shot struck a tree branch, and the gunman cried out, clutching his now-empty hand.  

Caleb and Travis ran forward, grabbed both of the man’s arms and yanked them behind his back, disabling him.  Travis gawped at the Kid with respect mixed with fear.  “I ain’t never seen no one draw that fast!”

“Me either,” said Lacy as she stepped out from behind a tree and shrubs.  “Thaddeus, you better drop it.  I’m a fair shot myself.”  The gun in her hand pointed straight at the Kid’s heart.  Heyes rose slowly and stood next to his partner.  “Let him go!” she commanded.

Caleb and Travis released the gunman and he swiftly retrieved his gun, turning it on them.

“Ben, think you can tie them up this time without getting into trouble?” she asked derisively.

The man winced but did as he was bid without a word.  He efficiently bound all four men and tied them around the tree Lacy had used for concealment.  His work completed, Ben turned with a grin, rubbed his hands together in anticipation, and started towards the box.  

Lacy beat him to it.  She fell to her knees, giggling, as he stood over her.  “This is it!  We can go anywhere now.  It won’t matter who we are if we have money.”  She placed the muzzle of her pistol against the rusted lock and pulled the trigger.  Bits of metal struck her face, drawing blood, but she ignored it.  Rapaciously, she clawed at the hasp and flung open the box.  Both of them wore broad smiles as they leaned over; smiles that turned instantly to furious glowers.

“What the…” said Ben, seizing a handful of paper money.  

Lacy screamed angrily.  “It’s graybacks!”  She sprang to her feet and whirled towards the tied up men.  “You idiots!  It’s worthless…all of it.”

“W….what?” stammered Travis.  His mouth dropped open, his eyes agog.

Heyes exhaled.  “It’s Confederate money.”  He said nothing for a few seconds and a slow smile crept up.  “Connor did have a trace of an accent.”  

The Kid gave a belly laugh and Caleb began guffawing, but Lacy stomped her foot.  “Shut up!”  She lifted her gun at them again and everyone fell silent except Ben.  He appeared panicked.

“Lacy, what do we do now?  I quit my job.  I beat my boss up.  I can’t go back.”

“I, I, I…is that all you think about?  Shut up and let me think!” she snarled.  She walked over to Travis and placed her gun to his forehead.  “What’s your name?”

Travis gulped and swallowed thickly.  “Smith, Travis Smith, ma’am.”

Lacy blinked and she fixed her gaze on the Kid never removing her gun from Travis’ forehead.  “What’s your partner’s name?”

“Caleb, ma’am…erk!” he flinched as the gun raked his head.  

“His last name, please,” Lacy asked viciously.

Travis was white and breathing rapidly. “Jones!  It’s Jones.”  

Curry’s head dropped onto his chest and Heyes rolled his eyes.

“Smith and Jones, huh?”  She grinned wolfishly and looked at the Kid.  “I do recall your name, Thaddeus; yours and Mister Smith’s here.”  

“Yes, ma’am,” said Heyes.  “I’m Joshua Smith and that’s my brother, Travis.  Thaddeus and Caleb are our cousins on our mother’s side, God rest her soul.”

Lacy looked over her shoulder.  “You hear that, Ben?  We’ve got a whole family here.”

Ben beamed.  “That outta fetch us some good ransom money.”

Lacy turned back at Heyes her eyes moving up and down his raggedy, worn wardrobe before she leveled her gaze at him.  “Poor Ben, he ain’t the sharpest knife in the drawer but he makes up for it in ways that please a woman, if you know what I mean.”  She gave him a saucy wink.  “No, I bet they have more names than they do money.”

“Huh?” queried Ben.

“They’re lying, you fool!  Smith and Jones!  They’re aliases if I ever heard any.”

“Why would they have the same aliases?”

“I don’t know, but we’ll find out.  We’ll run them into Lulu City.  The telegraph’s still working there.  It won’t take long to find out who they are.  My guess is there’s some reward money on these four; especially our friend, Thaddeus, here with the quick draw.”

Ben nodded.  “All right, Lacy.”  

Heyes murmured, “Ben…you’re making a big mistake…”

“Shut up, mister.  Lacy’s the smartest woman I know; she ain’t wrong.”

The Kid’s elbow interrupted Heyes’ retort.

“How’re we goin’ to play this?” whispered the Kid as he leaned towards Heyes and kept one eye on Lacy and Ben asleep in their bedrolls.

“Why’re you asking me?” hissed Heyes.  “You figure it out.”

“Me?  That’s your job.”

“Oh, and I suppose polite introductions are yours.”

“How was I supposed to know she was a crook?!”

“Shh, quit your bellyaching before they hear us.”  Caleb kicked Heyes’ foot and got his attention then nodded downward.  Heyes looked down.  Grasped in Caleb’s unbound hand was a small penknife.  Travis leaned forward and gave a wave wiggling his fingers and smiling.  Covertly, Caleb passed the knife to Heyes.

“I’m not about to ask where you had this hidden,” muttered Heyes under his breath.

The cold, steel barrel of Kid Curry’s Colt .45 pressed against Lacy’s cheek, interrupted her snoring but not awakening her.  Looking up, the Kid smiled at Heyes who reached down and pinned both of Lacy’s arms.  This time she awoke fighting but he kept hold of her until she gave up and collapsed back onto her bedroll.  Her head shifted sideways and she saw Ben trussed up like a turkey for roasting.  She went limp.

“Party’s over, sweetheart.”  Heyes was clearly enjoying himself.

“And here I really thought you were a sweetheart,” said Curry, frowning down at Lacy.

Lacy shrugged.  “And I thought you were really bad liars up to something.  I’ve lived my whole life in these parts.  I knew right away there weren’t any ranches hereabouts.  The way Smith here got all jolly at breakfast made me wonder what you were hiding.  Then those two,” she gestured at the other two Smith and Jones, “left without taking two bites of their breakfasts.  That told me it was worth my while to find out what you were after.”

“So you pulled up stakes and talked ol’ Ben here into doin' the heavy liftin' for you.”  The Kid looked disgusted.

Her face venomous, Lacy flatly said, “We’re in love.”

“Lucky Ben.”  Travis knelt down and tied her up securely while Caleb pulled Ben into a sitting position and thoroughly patted him down.  

Heyes made a smug show of doing the same to Lacy, coming up with several sharp hairpins, a small derringer strapped to her ankle, and a six-inch bowie knife tucked into the waistband of her skirt.  He confiscated them all and passed them to the Kid.  “Nice gal you got here, Ben.”

“A girl’s got to protect herself,” purred Lacy.

“From what?  Wolves in the kitchen?” sniped Heyes, his hand still holding one of her arms.

Lacy looked positively mutinous as she was yanked to her feet and none too gently pushed toward her partner in crime.  Caleb shoved her down with a heavy hand to her shoulder and she plopped in the dirt next to Ben.

“There’s no need to be rough with the lady,” growled Ben.

Travis laughed, “Far as I can tell, there ain’t no ladies here.”

“So, what are we goin’ to do with you?”  The Kid holstered his gun with a flourish.

Lacy cocked her head and smiled at Travis.  “You could let us go.  We haven’t hurt you.”

Caleb snorted.  “That’s true but I ain’t sure you might not try harder if we do.”

“We could’ve shot all three of you while Smith there was dangling at the end of that rope.”  Lacy shifted her glance to Heyes who was standing next to the Kid.  His poker face solidly in place, he just stared at her.  “But we didn’t.  We might be thieves but we aren’t murderers.  Can you say that?”

“Yes,” answered Heyes firmly followed by the Kid, Travis, and Caleb, “and, we can also say we aren’t thieves.”  Out of the side of his mouth he whispered to the Kid, “I can say it, don’t mean it’s true.”  The Kid chuckled.

Lacy pouted.  “What are you planning to do to us?  Turn us over to the law?”

Heyes walked up and stood over her, looking down at her cold, reptilian eyes.  “Lady, we’re a long way from the nearest lawman and I, for one, don’t plan to give you an opportunity to rectify your past mistakes.  You were planning on leaving us on foot.  I reckon we can do the same if my friends here agree.”

“Works for me,” said Caleb.  The Kid simply smiled, but Travis spoke up.  “I think we should take their boots, too.  A man can make good time strikin’ out cross-country, but that oughta slow ‘em up some.”

Lacy’s eyes widened and she shot daggers at him.

Heyes nodded.  “Travis, I like the way you think.  Let’s round up the horses and get out of here.”

“Hold on!  You’ll be as good as killing us if you steal our horses and leave us barefoot,” complained Ben.

The Kid smiled, “Don’t worry.  We’re not stealin' anything, unlike you.  We’ll leave your horses somewhere down the trail along with your boots.  You’ll find them sooner or later.  Now, your weapons are a different story.  Those we’ll toss somewhere and it’ll be up to you to figure out where.”

All four men laughed and shook hands.

Two days later, the four men crested the hill overlooking Kinsey City.  Caleb turned his horse to face Heyes and the Kid.  “Guess this is where we part company.  We’ll be heading south from here.  It’s been a pleasure riding with you.”

Travis grinned, “Smith, Jones, good knowin’ you.”

Heyes and the Kid grinned back.  “Jones, Smith, take it easy.”

Caleb started to turn his horse away but paused.  “So, I’ve got to ask—just what are your real names?”

“You can ask, but we ain’t gonna say,” quipped the Kid.

“What’s in a name?  ‘That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet’,” quoted Heyes.

All three men looked at him blankly.

“Bill Shakespeare,” he explained.

They still looked at him blankly.  

Heyes shook his head, disappointed, but the Kid chuckled, “I think we all know an alias when we hear one.”

Caleb persisted, “Well, then, how’d you get the names Smith and Jones?”

Heyes’ eyes twinkled.  “Let’s just say we were once a couple of no-good, rag-pickin’, chicken thieves but we’ve mended our evil ways.”  He and the Kid looked at each other and grinned.

Caleb nodded, touched the brim of his hat, and with a click of his tongue and a nudge of his heel, he sent his horse into a lope.  Travis lifted his hat in a brief salute and hurried after him.

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw Pic_611

“Nice guys,” said Curry.

“Yep, they would’ve been great in the gang.”

They watched the dust from the departed horses settle then spoke at the same time.  

“What are the odds?”

Author’s Notes:  

1. The Never Summer is a mountain range in Colorado north of Rocky Mountain National Park.  It is a remote, difficult-to-access area that receives heavy snowfall in the winter.  Lulu City is now a ghost town but once was a mining community.  Only remnants remain.

2. Kinsey City was founded across the river from the present-day site of Kremmling, Colorado.  Here is an excerpt from https://stories.grandcountyhistory.org/article/kremmling

Kremmling started as a general merchandise store, owned by Rudolph (or Kare) Kremmling, on the ranch of Dr. Harris, located on the north bank of the Muddy River.  In 1888, John and Aaron Kinsey had part of their ranch platted, calling the site Kinsey City.  Kremmling moved his store across the river from the new site and the town that subsequently developed became known as Kremmling.  There was a post office established at Kremmling as early as 1885 and the town was incorporated in 1904.

The Middle Park Fair was established here in 1912.  Famous Western Novelist Zane Grey spent time in Kremmling and, as a result, wrote "Mysterious Rider" in which the area is shown as a classic Western setting.

During World War II the town was the location of a prisoner of war camp where German prisoners cut ice that was shipped by rail to other locations.

The local ranching industry, the presence of the railroad and its strategic location at the confluence of the Colorado River, the Blue River, and Muddy Creek made Kremmling a natural location for a town, which still retains the “Old West“ atmosphere.

3. William Hale is the governor I refer to in my story.  He took office in 1882.  At the time of taking office, he suffered from Addison’s Disease and fell ill soon after becoming Governor.  He recovered but succumbed to his illness in 1885.

4. Lulu City is a ghost town inside the boundaries of Rocky Mountain National Park.  There’s a popular hiking trail into it and all that remains is some old remnants of its mining past.

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Inside Outlaw's story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)

Gemhenry likes this post

Penski
Post Sat 16 Jan 2021, 10:58 am by Penski
Another excellent episode from Inside Outlaw! Love the two sets of Smith and Jones. Surprised me who ended up being the bad guys. Thanks so much for your contribution this year! thumbsup
Post Sat 16 Jan 2021, 7:27 pm by Uk_rachel74
A lot of fun. Great episode.

Penski likes this post

Post Sat 16 Jan 2021, 8:35 pm by calicole
clap Great story, I never suspected Lacy for even a moment. Always happy to see a new story from IO, one of the greats.

Penski likes this post

Post Sun 17 Jan 2021, 6:13 pm by Gemhenry
An excellent read , I really liked the Smith and Jones and Jones and Smith.

Penski likes this post

Post Fri 22 Jan 2021, 4:53 pm by Nightwalker
Excellent story. Gripping plot, unexpected twists, interesting characters mixed with a little bantering - everything a good episode needs.
Most of all I was impressed by your style. Only a few words of you created immediately visual images of places or characters in my mind, and drew me deeper into the story. Hats off.

Penski likes this post

Post Thu 04 Feb 2021, 3:40 pm by Laura
That was a good read, enjoyed it a bunch. I liked the similarities between the four of them. Like Heyes and Kid, the other Smith and Jones didn't like work that was hard on the back, they also used the coin toss to make decisions and were familiar with going after making money only to lose it somehow. Glad that they parted friends. Lacy was a surprise to me too.

Penski likes this post

The Odds Are Good by Inside Outlaw

Page 1 of 1