Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

The Job by Little Bluestem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

The Job by Little Bluestem Empty
PostThe Job by Little Bluestem

Starring

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast1_10
Peter Duel as Hannibal Heyes
and Ben Murphy as Kid Curry

Guest Starring

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast2_10
James Coburn as Colonel Harper

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast3_10
Danny Glover as Bass Reeves

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast4_10
Claudia Cardinale as Belle Starr

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast5_10
Adam Beach as Sam Starr

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast6_10
Zahn McClaren as Henry

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast7_10
Tantoo Cardinal as Lushanya

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast8_10
David Mudthunder as Miko

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast9_10
Chad Michael Murray as Ben Bowlegs

The Job by Little Bluestem Cast1010
Kiefer Sutherland as Ezra Jackson

The Job
by Little Bluestem

SCENE ONE: opens to a sunny cafe replete with blue-checked tablecloths, bustling waitresses, and a small throng of customers.  There is a murmur of conversation and the clinking of flatware against plates.  At a corner table sits our own Kid Curry, cheerfully tucking into an impressive spread of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, buttered biscuits, green beans – the works.  Bells on the door jingle merrily as it opens to admit the other fella.

Hannibal Heyes enters, removing his battered black hat and raking the fringe of dark hair from his forehead with his fingers. Spotting his partner, he grins slightly and strides over to Curry’s table.  As he slides into the opposite chair, placing his black hat next to Curry’s brown one, a pretty teenage waitress sets a plate of chicken and fixings on the table in front of him. Heyes nods his thanks with a dimpled grin, and she smiles shyly, curtsies, and hurries away.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_1_10

“Did Lom answer our telegram?” asked the Kid around a mouthful of potatoes.

“Yeah.  No word from ….”  Heyes made a slight shrugging gesture before continuing.  “But Lom said Colonel Harper has a job for us.”

“What kinda job?” asked Curry, mopping up a puddle of gravy with a biscuit.

Heyes shrugged again as he picked up his knife and fork and began to cut into his meal.  “Didn’t say.  Just that we should get down to Paris.  Harper’s gonna meet us there.”

Heyes put a forkful of chicken into his mouth, then reached for a biscuit and began to butter it as he chewed.

“Well, that should be easy enough,” the Kid replied.  “From here we can cut across Indian Territory and be there in three or four days.”

“I don’t think we should do that,” Heyes disagreed, shaking his head.  “We should go around.”

“Around?  That’s gonna take us almost a week!  Why not go straight through?”

“Kid, I’ve been reading about this Deputy Marshal in the Indian Territory, name’s Bass Reeves.  He’s getting quite the reputation for bringing in outlaws – lots of outlaws.”

“So?  He’s never seen us before.  He don’t know us from Adam.”

“No, but according to what I read, this guy Reeves is practically super-human.  He’s brought in more than three dozen wanted outlaws single-handedly in the past year alone.  And get this: Reeves was born a slave, so he can’t read or write. He gets a deputy to read the descriptions on the wanted posters to him and then he memorizes them.  He probably has our descriptions memorized down to the last detail.”

Curry, unimpressed, replied, “Even if that were so, which it ain’t, our descriptions are pretty vague – and Indian Territory is real big.  You’re an odds player – what are the odds we’d even cross paths with him?”

“I know it doesn’t make any sense, but when it comes to us and lawmen, somehow the odds don’t seem to matter.  I say we go around.”

“I say we cut through.  This guy Reeves is just a man like any other man.”

“Kid,” Heyes whispered, “Reeves arrested his own son!”

“For what?”

“Killing his wife.”

“Well, there you go,” said Kid, continuing his meal unconcerned.  “In all the banks and trains we robbed, we never killed anybody.”

“True, but we're still wanted -- dead or alive.  He’s bound to have run across our posters.”  He paused and looked at his partner cagily.  “They also say he’s a fast-draw.”

“Yeah?”  Curry’s attention captured, he glanced up from his food, a look of intrigue on his face.

“Two-handed,” Heyes added, miming a cross-body double-handed draw.

“Like Harry Briscoe?”  Curry snickered, returning his attention to his dinner.

“Nothing like Harry Briscoe.  Like Bass Reeves.  You heard of the Brunter Brothers?”

“Yeah,” Curry scowled.  “Bunch of stone-cold killers, all three of ‘em.”

“And all gunnies,” replied Heyes.  “So, this guy Reeves goes to arrest them, right?  But they get the drop on him, force him off his horse.  Now they’ve got him at gunpoint.  And they ask him what he wants.  Just as calm as you please, Reeves says he’s gonna arrest them.  And then he asks them what day it is!  And he pulls out their warrants and says he needs to know cuz he has to write the dates on ‘em –”

Curry interrupted to ask, “Thought you said he couldn’t read or write?”

“That’s not the point, Kid!  He was just trying to distract them.  And it worked, because the Brunters all busted up laughing.  And then Reeves grabs the first brother’s rifle by the barrel with one hand, draws his own gun with the other, and Bam!  Bam!  He shoots two of ‘em dead without blinking an eye, then clocks the third one on the head with the butt of his Colt and cuffs him.  And he did all this on his own, nobody there to back him up.”

“A Colt, huh…” Curry murmured, nodding approvingly.  He chewed thoughtfully, then took a swallow of coffee and asked, “How do you know so much about this guy Reeves, anyway?”

“I told you – I read about him!  It was all over the papers when he got the Brunter Brothers.  I’m telling ya, Kid, this is one lawman we definitely don’t wanna run into.”

Curry finally threw up his hands and gave in.  “Alright, alright.  You win.  We go around.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A travel montage takes place accompanied by a slow, melodic version of the theme song.  Overlapping scenes of our heroes fade into each other: the partners riding together through the wooded northwest Texas countryside, camping out beneath the stars, passing by various hand-hewn signs naming towns and their distances.  They stop to consult a compass, then carry on.  They ford a river, lifting their legs from the stirrups to keep their boots dry.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_2_10

They ride through a small town where a handful of townspeople go about their business.  Finally, they approach a signpost.  As they ride past it and on into town the camera zooms in to read the name Paris, Texas, population 856.  The camera follows them down the main street to a large clapboard building with ornate columns bearing a sign with “Lamar Hotel” painted in curlicue letters.  The boys dismount and tie their horses in front.

Fade to interior of hotel…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kid Curry and Hannibal Heyes entered the ornately decorated hotel lobby, brushing the travel dust from their clothing.  A well-dressed, distinguished-looking older gentleman put down his newspaper and rose from a leather wingback chair, calling, “Joshua!  Thaddeus!  I was about to give up on you.”

The two young men strode forward to meet him; hands outstretched for handshakes.

“Good evening, Colonel,” Heyes murmured, grasping the older gentleman’s hand.

“How ya doin’, Colonel?” Curry asked, taking his turn to greet the retired army officer.

Harper, a mild look of concern on his face, said, “When Lom telegraphed that you were on your way here, he said you were up in Sweetwater.  What took you so long?  No trouble on the way, I trust…?”

“Um, er…” the Kid began ineloquently, but Heyes interrupted smoothly, ”Thaddeus’ horse pulled up lame.  It slowed us down some.  Added a few days to the trip.”

“But he’s fine now,” Curry quickly added.

“Well, that’s certainly a relief to hear.  I was just about to go into dinner.  Would you care to join us?”

“Us?” asked Heyes.

“Yes, I want to introduce you to someone.  Someone I hope you will be able to help.”

“So, this is the job you told Lom about…?” ventured Curry.

“Yes, I think you two will be ideal for this one.  Come along,” Harper replied, turning to enter the hotel dining room.  Heyes and Curry exchanged a look of cautious anticipation before following him.

The trio approached a table set for two at which another man was already seated, sipping a cup of coffee.  He looked to be in his late thirties, handsome features, broad-shouldered, and sporting a thick, wiry, black mustache. Although he was sharply dressed in a well-cut suit, crisp white shirt, and bolo tie, complete with knee-high black boots polished to a gleam, his dark leathery skin had the appearance of someone who spends most of his days out-of-doors.  His clear brown gaze was alert and intelligent.  He sat with a casual ease that belied strong self-confidence.  He seemed to be assessing the two young men, who were, in turn, assessing him.  When he rose to greet Harper, he towered over the elderly gentleman, standing a good three inches taller than Heyes and Curry.

Harper spoke first, “These are the two fellas I was telling you about, Bass.  Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones.  The best men I know for this job.”

“Bass, you say,” said Heyes with a friendly smile, shaking the proffered hand while catching his partner’s eye. “That’s not a name you hear every day.”

“Smith and Jones,” murmured the man called Bass with a slight air of speculation.  “Rather the opposite.”  His handshake was firm, his grip strong

“Oh, forgive my bad manners!” Harper said, then completed the introductions.  “Joshua, Thaddeus, this is Deputy United States Marshal Bass Reeves, the best gosh-darned lawman I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet.  Perhaps you’ve heard of him?”

“Yes, I believe I have read something about you in the newspaper,” answered Heyes as the four men took their places around the table.  “You have quite a reputation, Marshal.”

“And Harper here has told me about you two as well,” replied the marshal.  “I believe you could be just the men I’m lookin' for to bring in a couple of hard cases.”

A waiter approached with a steaming pot of coffee, accompanied by an assistant who hastily added two more place settings to the table.  The waiter topped off Reeves’ cup, then filled the other three as the men settled in.

Harper said, “This place has the best roast beef in three counties – with all the trimmings.  My treat, of course. That sound good to you?”

The other three readily agreed.  Orders taken, the servers departed and the conversation resumed.

“I read that you typically work alone,” Hannibal Heyes said, addressing Reeves.

“Sometimes, but not always,” the lawman answered.  ”I often work with another deputy marshal that also happens to be a good friend, name of Grant Johnson.  Matter of fact, he was with me for my biggest catch: Bob Dozier.  I chased him for years.  Finally tracked him down way up in the Cherokee Hills.”

“I read something about that.  Is it true there was a terrible storm that night?” asked Heyes.

“Yes indeed.  It was winter, and it was cold, the kind of damp cold that chills you to your bones.  But not too cold for it to rain – and rain it did.  It was pourin’ down in buckets,” Reeves warmed to his story.  His small audience listened intently as he continued, “It was gettin’ dark and me and Grant were just lookin’ for a good spot to set up camp for the night, tryin’ to stay dry.  Couldn’t barely see a darned thing.  Suddenly, a rifle shot rings out.  And I swear to you, I heard that bullet whiz by my head, it was that close.  Grant and me, we hit the dirt, and there we stayed, just waitin’ for another shot so’s we could pinpoint Dozier.”  He paused for dramatic effect, looking at each of his listeners before continuing.

“Nothin’ – not a sound but the plop plop plop of raindrops hittin’ the leaves.  Then I see a shadow movin’ through the trees.  I fire twice and three shots come right back at us.  Then it gets quiet again.  We just stay low, watchin’ and listenin’.  And then we hear somethin’ downright unsettlin': Laughter.  It was Dozier.  He’s laughin’ just as loud as you please, thinkin’ he done kilt us.  Suddenly, the rain just up and stops.  It’s still kinda misty, but I spot Dozier’s silhouette through the trees, just standin' there, holdin’ his rifle and laughin’ to beat the devil.  See, he thought he won.  Thought he beat me.  But then I jump up, and I yell out, “This is Deputy US Marshal Bass Reeves. Bob Dozier, you are under arrest.  Drop your weapon and come quietly.”  But Dozier, he ducks into a crouch and he brings up his rifle, so I ain’t got no choice but to shoot.  Hit ‘im in the neck.  He was dead ‘fore he hit the ground.”

“That’s quite a story, Marshal,” ventured Heyes after a moment of silence.

Colonel Harper, his eyes shining, exclaimed, “See what I mean, boys?  Dead or alive, right, Bass?”

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_3_10

Curry and Heyes exchanged an uncomfortable glance, which did not go unnoticed by the marshal.  “I never shot a man when it was not necessary to do so in the discharge of my duty to save my own life,” he pronounced proudly.

“Why us?  I mean, why don’t you take your friend Johnson with you?” questioned Curry.

“Grant’s unavailable right now and I just got a tip about where a particular snake I’ve been after for months is holed up.  I’ve devised a fool-proof plan for infiltrating his gang.  I want some back-up for this one and Harper here tells me you boys can handle yourselves.”

“Two best men I know,” the colonel commented, pride evident in his voice, oblivious of the aforementioned two best men flinching slightly at Reeves’ use of the term ‘fool-proof.’

“He also told me how you two managed to bring Blanche Graham back from Mexico to face murder charges – through charm alone.”

“Well, charm and a little bit of deviousness,” Heyes answered, grinning impishly.

“That’s just the kinda men I need for this job.  Not only handy with your guns, but smart, too.  And able to play a role, like you did with Blanche.”

The conversation was interrupted by two waiters, who placed steaming plates of sliced roast beef and mashed potatoes in front of them.  Meanwhile, at another table in the back of the restaurant, two diners took notice of the foursome.  They kept looking over at Reeves, staring overtly.  One of the men, on the skinny side with reddish hair and a sparse mustache, was obviously agitated.  His companion attempted to soothe him, but eventually, as if he couldn’t stomach what he was witnessing a second longer, the ginger-haired man stood, tossed down his napkin, and walked over to the table.  He reached it just as the servers departed and the men began to dig into their meals.

“What are you doin’ in here, boy?” the stranger demanded, staring at Reeves belligerently.

“I don’t see any boys about, but we’re fixin’ to eat some supper,” Reeves answered mildly.  “Why don’t you go on and find your way back to your own table and finish yours.”  He continued eating as if he hadn’t been interrupted.

Heyes frowned, Curry eyed the interloper warily, and Colonel Harper turned in annoyance, saying, “This gentleman is my guest, sir.  Please leave us.”

Other customers started to notice the developing situation.  Some whispered to one another, while others scraped their chairs back, ready for what might happen next.

“Gentleman?!” scoffed the intruder.  “Why, he ain’t nothin’ but a –”

“That’s enough!” interrupted Curry, his blue eyes cold.

“Come on back here, Red,” called his friend from their own table, a worried look on his face.

Reeves calmly dabbed at his mouth with his napkin, then placed it next to his plate and rose to his full six foot two inches.  He took a step towards the redhead, looking down at him impassively.  He was taller, broader, and more imposing than the man he faced.  A flicker of fear passed across the shorter man’s countenance, but he blustered on.  “This is a respectable hotel.  How did you even get in?”

“Same way you did, walked through the front door,” replied the marshal.  “Now that your curiosity is satisfied, you can go on back to your meal.”

“I ain’t eatin’ ‘til you leave,” insisted Red, pushing the edge of his jacket away from his holster menacingly.

Beneath the table, Kid Curry’s right hand crept subtly toward his hip.  Heyes, noticing, caught his partner’s eye and twitched his chin ever-so-slightly in the negative direction.  Curry looked questioningly at Heyes, who nodded towards Reeves.  Curry shrugged slightly, then turned his attention back to the ongoing confrontation.  

“Then I reckon you’re gonna go hungry,” replied Reeves, turning away in dismissal.  Red suddenly went for his gun.

In a blur of movement, Reeves spun on his heel, reached with both hands across his body and whipped out his brace of pistols, leveling them at his opponent before the man could even clear leather.

Heyes and Curry turned to each other and swapped impressed expressions.  A chorus of gasps, whistles, and murmurs rolled through the restaurant.  Harper chuckled in a satisfied way, looking over to Heyes and Curry.

“See, I told you,” he bragged.

Red stared into both barrels, his already pale face draining of what little color it had.

“I...I...I... uh... I didn’t mean nothin’, mister… You ain’t gonna shoot me, are ya?” he stammered.

After a beat, the marshal holstered both guns – no fancy twirls or flourishes, just a straight-forward replacement. “Not worth the bullets,” he muttered.  Retaining his deliberate, calm manner, he sat down and resumed eating his meal, pointedly ignoring the man standing as if rooted in place, attempting to gather his composure.

By this time, Red’s companion had thrown some bills on their table, donned his own hat, and scooped up that of his friend.  He hurried over, grabbed the unfortunate fellow by the arm, thrust the Stetson onto his friend's head, and hustled him out of the establishment.

The other patrons gradually resumed their own meals and conversations, but cast more than a few awed glances at the dark-skinned marshal who now sat placidly polishing off his roast beef and potatoes.

When the restaurant had returned to normal, Heyes turned to Reeves and commented, “It must be difficult, having to deal with men like that.”

“It’s a mite irritatin’.  S’why I spend most of my time in Indian Territory.  Folks out there tend to judge a man by the content of his character rather than the color of his skin.  Here in the States, it often ain’t so.”

Heyes shook his head, grinning ruefully, and replied, “Rather ironic, considering that in the States, 'All men are created equal.'”

“Yeah, well, people like that don’t consider people that look like me to be men, no matter what ol’ Tommy Jefferson wrote down on that piece of paper.”  

“Gentlemen,” pronounced Colonel Harper, consulting a pocket watch, “it’s getting late.  I have one more appointment tonight and an early train in the morning.  As a matter of fact, I have to go up to Wyoming Territory to meet with the governor.  Are we in agreement, then?  May I tell the governor you’ll be working with Bass?”

Curry began, “We don’t even –”  He was interrupted by a sharp kick beneath the table.

“Of course, we’ll take the job,” Heyes answered, smiling.

“Uh, yes,” Curry joined in, shooting a resentful look at his partner, “I was just gonna say we don’t even need to know what the job is to agree to it.”

“Good, good,” enthused the colonel.  “It’s all settled.  You can tell them the details over breakfast, Bass.  Joshua, Thaddeus, I am going to have to steal our marshal away from you.  I want him to meet some friends of mine.”

Fade to…

A hotel room containing two twin-sized beds with tarnished brass headboards, covered in colorful patchwork quilts. Between the beds is a marble-topped night-stand sporting a glass-shaded kerosene lamp, burning low.  Against the floral-papered wall stands a quarter-sawn oak dresser with cut-glass knobs and a large mirror etched with fillagrees above it. Reflected in the mirror is the door, which swings open to admit our two favorite former outlaws...

“I cannot believe it; I simply cannot believe it!” Heyes spluttered as he burst into the room, turned up the lamp, and began to pace back and forth across the small room.

Curry slammed the door shut, then flopped down on one of the narrow beds, saying in resignation, “Huh.  I can. It’s just our luck.”

Heyes spun on his heel, and stabbing his finger into the air to punctuate his words, retorted, “The man we spent an extra three days traveling across miles of nowhere to avoid is the same man Colonel Harper wants us to team up with!”

“Did ya see the way he looked at us?” Curry asked.  “And the way he said, ‘Smith and Jones’ all suspicious-like? You were right!  We need to keep well clear of him!”  He straightened up, swinging his legs over the side to perch on the edge of the bed.  “Heyes, we can’t take this job!” he exclaimed.  

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_4_10

Hannibal Heyes stopped pacing and faced his partner with a grim expression.  “Kid, we can’t afford NOT to take it – not after we came all this way.  Harper will be suspicious.  He might even say something to the governor,” he added resignedly.

“Can’t we fake an emergency?  Some long-lost relative sends us a telegram tellin’ us they’re in desperate need of our help?” the Kid suggested as he pulled his boots off one at a time and tossed them to the floor.

Heyes sat down heavily in the upholstered armchair in the corner of the room despondently.  ”No, no,” he answered.  “Harper knows us well enough to know we don’t have any relatives.  We’re just plain stuck, Kid.  We’re stuck working with Reeves.”

Curry sprang to his feet and pronounced, “I don’t like it, Heyes.  I don’t like it one bit.”

“Neither do I, but like I said, we’re stuck.  We have to be very careful.  Smart thinking not to draw down on that yahoo in the restaurant.”

Curry began to unbuckle his gun belt as he replied, “Didn’t have to.  Reeves is fast.  Real fast.”

“Told ya.”

Curry hung his gun belt over the headboard, then turned to his partner with an accusatory glare and practically snorted, “You said he drew like Harry Briscoe.  That was nothin' like Harry Briscoe!”

“I did not say he drew like Harry Briscoe.  I said he draws two-handed across the front and YOU said like Harry Briscoe.”

“Well, nothing about him comes anywhere near Harry Briscoe.  This Bass Reeves is the real deal.”

“You could beat him.” Heyes stated confidently.

“I dunno.  And I don’t wanna find out,” Curry grumbled.

“Yeah, we don’t wanna give him any reason to look at us more closely,” Heyes agreed.

“So, no poker for you tonight, Heyes.  He might be over at the saloon and we don’t need him seein’ you cleanin' out the locals.”

“This is going to be hard, Kid.  This is going to be real hard.”

“And we don’t even know who the guys are we’re helpin’ him bring in yet,” Curry pointed out.  “Reeves never got the chance to tell us before Harper pulled him away.  What if it’s someone who knows us?”

“Come on, Kid,” Heyes cajoled.  “What are the odds?”

Curry shot his partner a dark look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, back in the hotel restaurant.  This time Harper is not present.  Heyes, Curry, and Reeves are once again seated around a table, now eating breakfast – eggs, bacon, biscuits, and coffee.

“I’m pleased you boys are willin’ to partner up with me,” Reeves said, taking a sip of coffee.  “Specially not even knowin’ what the job entails.”

“Yes, about that,” ventured Heyes.  “We really would like to hear the details.  Wouldn’t we, Thaddeus?”

“That we would,” agreed the Kid.  “Just so we, uh, know who – or what – we’re gonna be up against.”

“Understandable.  First outlaw on my list is Myra Maebelle Shirley Reed Starr, more commonly known as none other than Belle Starr, the Queen of the Bandits.  I figure you can charm her the way you charmed Blanche Graham, Smith.  You heard of her?” answered Reeves.

Curry met his partner’s eyes with an urgent silent look, but Heyes ignored him and replied smoothly, “Sure we’ve heard of her.  Not too many lady outlaws around, so she’s pretty well-known.”

“Not so sure I’d call her a lady,” Bass commented dryly.

“But she’s not dangerous – as far as I’ve heard, she’s just a horse thief,” added Heyes.

“Well, folks take horse thievin’ pretty serious in these parts.  And she and her husband Sam are known to provide safe harbor for all kinds of outlaws at their ranch.  Judge Parker wants her brought in.  Fact is, Parker wants her brought in somethin' fierce.  So, she’s tops on my list,” answered the lawman, patting his vest pocket, where the edges of three paper warrants peeked out.

“Judge Isaac Parker?” asked Heyes.  “The one they call 'The Hanging Judge'?”

“Some folk do.  Parker has made it his personal mission to clean out the territory of outlaws.  And he has a bee in his bonnet when it comes to Belle Starr.  Parker’s the one hired me as a marshal after he heard I had lived in the territory for a spell and can speak the lingo.  Seems he’s friendly with your Colonel Harper – that’s how you two got involved.”

“Surely the great Bass Reeves doesn’t need our help to bring in Belle Starr,” offered Heyes.

“Prob’ly not,” Reeves said candidly, “but if you use that charm of yours to get her to come in quietly, Smith, then I won’t have to be rough with her.  She may be an outlaw, but she’s still a woman.  And I may be a deputy marshal, but I’m still a gentleman.  It’s the other fella I’m lookin’ for help with –”  Reeves’ attention was suddenly diverted across the opposite side of the restaurant to a man who had just entered.  “Excuse me,” he interrupted his own explanation.  “I just spotted an old friend.  I’ll be right back.”  Reeves rose, crossed the room, and warmly greeted the man he’d noticed, leaving the partners alone at the table.  Immediately, they began an urgently whispered conversation.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_5_10

“Heyes!  You’ve got to get us outta this!”

“Oh, quit worrying, Kid.  We’ve only met her the two times.  Besides, Belle wouldn’t turn us in.  Remember, she loves outlaws.  And she has a soft spot for me.”

“Yeah, but you never returned her affections – she might hold that against you,” the Kid said, reaching for another biscuit.

Heyes raised one eyebrow.

Curry stopped in mid-bite, blue eyes wide.  “Wait – you been holdin’ out on me, partner?”

“A gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell,” he answered coyly.

“But she’s married!” protested Curry.

“Not when we met her that first time.  Remember, she was still Belle Reed back then.  A widow.  She was lonely. And she’s always had a penchant for outlaws.  Oh, stop looking so shocked.  It didn’t go that far.”

“Even so, you can’t be serious about about turnin’ in Belle.  You know yourself, all that Bandit Queen and Lady Outlaw stuff is mostly just fancy talk.  What’s the worse she ever did?  Steal a few horses?  It ain’t like she ever killed anybody.”

“I know, Kid, I know.  Don’t worry.  I’ll think of something.”

Curry rolled his eyes and retorted, “Fine, but if it turns out the next guy knows us, too, that’s it.  We leave in the night and head south – and learn to speak Mexican.”

Just then Bass Reeves returned to the table.

“Sorry about that, fellas,” he apologized as he took his seat and picked up his fork.  “Haven’t seen my old friend Bo Hopkins in a dog’s age.  I just had to go over and pay my respects.  So, where was I?”

“You were just about to tell us the name of the other outlaws we are planning to arrest,” Heyes reminded him helpfully.

“Ah, yes.  Well, Belle’s husband Sam for one, but he’s small potatoes compared to the third one.  His name is Ben Bowlegs.  Or at least that’s one of the names he goes by.”

The partners exchanged a look of relief, then listened as Reeves recited, “Also known as Ben Billy, also known as Billy Williams.  Aged 34.  Hair: Sandy brown.  Eyes: hazel.  Ruddy complexion.  Height: 5 feet 10 inches. Weight:170 pounds.  2-inch scar on left cheekbone.  Wanted for assault, robbery, and first-degree murder.”

Curry flashed a look at Heyes, then said to Reeves, “You memorized that?  From the warrant?”

Bass smiled and patted his vest pocket again.  “Yup.  Had a deputy read it off for me.  But I can also tell you that Bowlegs is a real snake.  Which is an insult to snakes everywhere.  Word is, he found out his partner was cheatin’ him.  So old Bowlegs stabs him to death – in his sleep!  Talk about low-down.  Most of his gang ran off after that.”  Reeves paused and shook his head ruefully, then continued.

“Heh.  Reckon they were afraid to go to sleep at night.  Now he just has a few fellas runnin’ with him and he’s tryin’ to recruit new members.  I’ve been informed by a reliable source that they’re hidin’ out in an old adobe ranch near Tahlequah.  My plan is, we three pose as saddle tramps and show up there, askin’ to join Bowlegs’ gang.  We gain their trust, bide our time.  Then when their guard is down, we surprise ‘em.  I’ve played this act many a time before on my own, but with that rattlesnake I’d prefer to have a couple of good men by my side.”

“When do we leave?” asked Heyes.

“First thing in the mornin'.  We’re travelin’ light – but then I reckon you boys are used to that – more than me, at least,” said Reeves.  “I usually travel with what seems like a small army!  Wagon full of supplies, driver, cook, and a posseman.  Grant, when I can get him and he’s not off findin' his own criminals.  We stay out in the territory for months at a time, roundin’ up outlaws.  But this time, Judge Parker wants me to get in and get out and bring back the Starrs and Bowlegs to Ft. Smith as quickly as possible.”

Fade to:

Early the next morning, the sun is just rising over the horizon and a handful of townsfolk are out and about on the streets, beginning their day.  Curry and Heyes walk from the hotel to the livery stable, carrying their saddle bags and other belongings, the Kid still buttoning up.  As they enter the stable, we see Bass Reeves already inside, saddling a beautiful silvery white stallion, at least 16 hands tall, its sinewy muscles rippling beneath its glossy coat. He is murmuring affectionately to the horse as he works.  Reeves looks up as the boys walk toward him.

“Beautiful animal,” Curry commented, reaching over to pat the sleek equine neck.

“But what…?” queries Reeves.  “I can hear an unspoken ‘but’ at the end of your compliment.”

“I think what Thaddeus means is that he’s a bit, well, flashy.  Noticeable, if you will,” Heyes explained as he and his partner busied themselves tacking up their own horses.

“That’s why I like him,” Bass grinned, pulling himself up into the saddle.  With his considerable height and imposing size, he cut a striking figure indeed sitting atop the tall silvery-white steed.  He reached forward and stroked the base of his mount’s ears affectionately.  “When folks see me comin’, they know it’s me.”

“But, isn’t that a bit counter-productive?  Didn’t you say you like to work incognito?” asked Heyes, tightening his saddle’s girth.

“Well, I sure don’t ride Silver when I’m in disguise, if that’s what’s worryin’ you.  Ya see, I’ve got two ways of operatin’, dependin’ on the situation.  Sometimes, I go in with my head high, ridin’ Silver – all flashy, like you said – to intimidate my quarry.  Other times, I’m low-key, incognito; I gain their trust, then surprise ‘em.  For this arrest, we’ll stash Silver when we get to Tahlequah and I’ll ride a horse that blends in better – more nondescript, like your horses.”  He looked significantly at the brown and bay.  “They’re more like somethin' somebody who don’t wanna be noticed might ride.  Come on, then.  It’s a three-day ride to Briartown.”

The statuesque lawman turned and rode out of the open stable door and into the street, leaving the partners to quickly finish readying their own horses, mount hastily, and trail behind him.

“What do you think he meant by that last crack?” Curry muttered.

“Come on, Kid.  You worry too much!” answered Heyes.  He urged his horse into a trot and began to close the distance between himself and Reeves.

Curry rolled his eyes and quickly followed suit.

The three men riding off into the distance in the early morning light blurs into the three men riding through the wilderness when the sun is high in the sky.  A rabbit, startled by the riders, bounds past them.  Curry pulls his rifle from the sheath strapped to his saddle and shoots it, then rides past it, leans down to pick it up and tie it his saddle.

“Thought this might come in handy for supper,” Curry commented as he quickly caught up to his companions.

Reeves shook his head and said, “Good shootin’, Jones, but it ain’t gonna be enough.”

Curry shrugged and said, “Still have a couple more hours of daylight.  We’ll probably run across another one.”

They hadn’t gone much farther when they came to a group of about five mule deer placidly grazing near the edge of a copse of trees.  The animals looked up from their meal and scattered, most of them fading into the trees. Before they could all disappear, Reeves pulled his rifle from its scabbard, took aim, and brought one of them down. Curry and Heyes looked at each other curiously.

“Guess he’s got a big appetite,” Heyes remarked under his breath as Reeves urged his horse over to his kill.  The partners watched, somewhat puzzled, as the lawman laid the carcass across his horse’s back, took him by the reins, and began to walk his horse back to the partners waiting on the rutted trail.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_6_10

Curry said to Heyes in a low voice, “How we gonna carry that with us and make any kind of time?  And it’s gonna spoil before we can eat it all!”

Heyes shushed him as Reeves came within earshot.  Both men looked like they were awaiting an explanation, but Reeves only said, “Two miles to go,” and walked ahead of them.

As Heyes and Curry plodded along slowly so as not to overtake their companion, they looked at each other quizzically, but after the predicted two miles, they rounded a bend and the trees opened up to reveal a small village.  A cluster of huts surrounded an open area where a group of villagers in native dress congregated.

As they neared the settlement, several young children came running toward them calling out gleefully, “Bass! Bass!”  The little ones ran up the big lawman, swarming around him, a couple bolder ones grabbing him around a leg, which was all they could reach.  They looked delighted to see him and giggled and chattered excitedly, forming a small escort for the trio.  Some cast shy, hopeful glances at the Kid and Heyes as the two young men dismounted and led their horses behind Reeves and the swarm of children.  When one or the other would smile or wave at a child, that child would giggle and hide their face behind a companion.

When the group reached the center area of the village, which appeared to be the locus of activity, the villagers welcomed Bass happily and greeted him in their own language, in which he answered fluently.  Two middle-aged women detached themselves from the small group that was busy preparing food around an open fire.  They approached Reeves, who stopped and pulled the dead deer from his saddle and handed it to them.  With happy and grateful smiles, they thanked him profusely.  They hauled the large carcass back to the fireside, where several women immediately set to work butchering it, exclaiming happily and calling out and waving their thanks to Reeves.  

“You could have said –” began Heyes, but he was interrupted by high-pitched feminine giggles, soon joined in by deep laughter from Bass.  Heyes glanced over to the source of amusement.  His partner was offering the rabbit to the women, who, although appreciative, seemed somewhat amused at the appearance of the rabbit, painfully small and inadequate next to the much larger deer.  The Kid was a good sport, smiling self-deprecatingly as the women teased him good-naturedly.

The children were surrounding Reeves now, some literally hanging from him, others trying to search his pockets. With a teasing grin, he pulled out a small paper bag.  The smiles stretched even bigger and small hands clapped together gleefully as he held it out to them.  Pudgy fingers reached into the bag excitedly and pulled out pieces of hard candy.  The children stuffed them into their mouths with gusto.

We fade away from this wholesome scene, and soon open back up into another equally homey one.  The entire village plus the three visitors are seated cozily around the fire, which burns brightly against the blue-black night sky.  There is no audio, just gentle music with a slight “Native American” overtone to it.  Their faces bathed in the soft golden glow, everyone is sharing the meal that the women had been preparing earlier, now rounded out with the venison and rabbit.

Bass looks very much at home among these villagers, holding a sweet-faced toddler on one knee as he eats and converses.  So too do the Kid and Heyes, the former being offered more helpings of food from a pretty young woman on either side of him.  A young boy about eight years old is seated next to Heyes, happily wearing the battered black hat, which obscures most of his face, revealing only a broad grin with a gap where he is missing one front baby tooth.  After the meal there is singing and more talking.

As it latens, each former outlaw now holds a sleeping child.  People begin to excuse themselves and head for their homes.  The mothers of the sleeping children gently take them from the visitors and carry them off to bed.  The woman who had taken charge of the deer carcass beckons to the guests.  She leads them to two small huts, ushering Bass to one, and Heyes and Curry to a second.

Cut to interior of the hut where the boys are bedding down in piles of furs.

Curry commented, “This was sure a lot different from our last experience with Indians…”

“You can say that again,” murmured Heyes.

Cut to the next morning as the sleepy village begins to stir to life.  Pantomime goodbyes as the travelers set off again.  The children run after the riders for several yards, calling and waving their farewells.

Last edited by royannahuggins on Fri 06 Mar 2020, 4:00 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

The Job by Little Bluestem :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: The Job by Little Bluestem
Post Tue 03 Mar 2020, 9:30 pm by royannahuggins
The sun is high in the sky when the three riders stop at a small brook to water their horses. Visible just a few yards away are railroad tracks, stretching across the meadow and disappearing into the horizon in both directions.  A small wooden post stands next to the tracks.  There is an off-white paper card nailed to the post, fluttering in the breeze.  Reeves spots it and chuckles.

“What is it?” asked Heyes, curious.

Reeves didn’t answer, just gestured toward the paper as if to say, go on and look.

Heyes strolled over to the post, pulled the card from the nail, and began to read it aloud.  The camera peeks over his shoulder so that the audience can read it along with him.  The printing is childish and several words are misspelled:

DED LINE is scrawled in big black letters.  After that, it reads:
Warning!  Do not cross!
To all US Marshals and speshly to Bass Reevs.
Do not cross!
or you will be kilt on site.

“That’s a good one,” chuckled Reeves.”  It’ll go nicely with my collection.”  He walked over to his horse where it stood munching on some grass and unbuckled one saddlebag, rooting around until he found what he was looking for, and pulled out a handful of similar paper cards, laughing softly.  He showed them to the boys, and the viewer sees they are all similar “deadline” warnings from outlaws.

The boys admired the cards, picking up a few to read, shaking their heads.

“That’s supposed to scare you off?” asked Heyes.

“Oh yes, I’m a-tremblin’ in my boots,” joked Reeves.

Curry, still looking through the cards, started to ask, “Thought you couldn’t –” but then he suddenly stopped mid-sentence.

“Thought what?  Thought I couldn’t read?” finished Reeves.  “It’s true I never went to school and nobody ever taught me to read and write, but I couldn’t help but pick up a few words over the years.  Like Deadline.  That’s this place.  There’s a bunch of 'em, most everywhere a trail crosses the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad tracks. And I can read my own name – even when they don’t spell it quite right.  I confess I always feel a bit honored to get mentioned in particular.”

“You mean speshly,” joked Heyes.

“I like to save ‘em and have somebody read off the whole thing to me later.  Sometimes they even sign their names.”

Fade from the previous scene into another, the trio riding along through a woodsy stretch of land.  It is late in the day; the sun is setting off to their left in soft roses and golds.

“Are we gonna make camp soon, or do you have other plans?” Heyes asked.

Reeves smiled and said simply, “Five miles.”

Fade into their arrival in a different village where Reeves is once again warmly welcomed and, just as before, he converses in a native language, this one sounding different from the previous one.

As the men tied up their horses, Heyes commented to Reeves, “So the first village we stopped in was Chickasaw, right?”

“Yes.”

“But this language sounds different.”

“Muscogee,” answered Reeves.

“How many Indian tongues can you speak?” wondered Curry in admiration.

“Only five,” is the humble answer.

Another day of travel goes by. We employ one of those old movie strategies: Superimpose a map of Indian Territory onto the screen and include a dotted line indicating the travelers’ progress.

The sun hangs low in the sky as the riders approach a hand-lettered sign that reads: Briartown, 1 mile.  Bass Reeves reins in his stallion and points to it.

“The Starrs have a ranch just north of Briartown, on the south shore of The Canadian River.  Younger’s Bend, named in honor of the Younger Gang.  One of our marshals reported seein' a whole mess of stolen horses in their corrals, which was enough evidence for Parker to issue the warrants.  But seein' as it’s Saturday night, there’s a good chance the Starrs are in town.  I have a feelin' we just might get lucky.”

The trio rode into Briartown in the gathering dusk and ambled down the main street to the noisy saloon.  Among the horses tied out in front was a sleek chestnut mare fitted out in an elaborate tooled-leather side saddle.

“That’s her horse,” Bass said pointing.  “She’s in there.”

“How do you know?” asked the Kid.

“She rides side-saddle,” answered the lawman.

“Lotsa ladies ride side saddle,” replied Curry.

“Yeah, but how many of those side-saddle-ridin’ ladies frequent saloons in the middle of Indian Territory?” rejoined Reeves.

Curry cast a significant look at his partner, who spoke up as if he’d just had a thought.  “Marshal, I’ve been thinking.  If all three of us charge in there, it might spook her.  How about if I go in first and start sweet-talking her. Thaddeus will wait a few minutes and then follow me.  We’ll act like we don’t know each other.  As soon as she’s got her guard down, he can come out and signal you to come in and make the arrest.”

“Good idea.  Harper told me you’re a clever one for comin’ up with plans,” Reeves replied as he nodded in approval.

The three dismounted and tied their mounts to the rail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A tall, slim brunette in her mid-30s, Belle may not have been traditionally beautiful, but she was a handsome woman with a brilliant smile and an almost palpable charisma.  When Heyes first glimpsed the lady outlaw in the back room of the saloon she was in the middle of a group of male admirers laughing and talking animatedly.  She was dressed in a well-tailored black velvet riding habit that flattered her small waist and sported a jaunty hat with several long ostrich feathers streaming from it.  Her only jewelry consisted of two pearl-handled pistols belted cross-wise across her slender hips, polished until they gleamed even in the dim light of the smoke-filled room. Belle’s eyes widened as she spotted Hannibal Heyes shouldering his way through the throng.

“Hey –” began the self-styled Bandit Queen, but he quickly cut her off, sweeping her into his arms, and literally off her feet, in a big bear hug, then holding her at arms’ length.

“Hey, yourself, Belle!  Do you remember your old friend, Joshua Smith!” Heyes cried joyfully, emphasizing his alias.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_7_10

The lady outlaw didn’t bat an eye but immediately played along, exclaiming, “Why, how could I ever forget you, Joshua!  You’re a sight for sore eyes!  And look,” she continued,” as Curry sauntered up behind Heyes.  “Here comes your partner, what was his name again?”  She looked at him questioningly, falsely innocent and slightly mischievously.

“Belle, you remember Thaddeus, Thaddeus Jones.”

Belle hugged the Kid, then she turned back to Heyes and hugged him a second time, murmuring in his ear, “Ya couldn’t come up with anything better than Smith and Jones?”

Heyes smiled, showing a dimple briefly, but then his expression turned serious.  “Belle, is there someplace we can talk – alone?” he asked.

Belle giggled and replied coyly, “Oh, honey, you are too late.  I’m a married woman!  My Sam is in here someplace. Wanna meet him?”

Heyes shook his head and said in a low voice, “Belle, we came to warn you.  Marshal Bass Reeves is out front.  He’s coming in here to arrest you as soon as Thaddeus gives the go-ahead.  If you go out the back right now, we can distract him long enough for you and Sam to make a get-away.”

Belle looked surprised.  “You’re working with Reeves?” she asked.  “Ya know, I heard a rumor you two had gone straight.  I guess it was true.”

Heyes and Curry looked at each other, then back to Belle and shrugged their shoulders innocently.

But then Belle folded her arms across her chest and uttered a single syllable.  “No,” she said.

“What?” both men said in unison.

Belle shook her head, the long ostrich feathers wafting back and forth gently as she did.  “No,” she repeated firmly. “If it’s Bass Reeves who’s after me, sneaking out is pointless.  I don’t wanna spend the rest of my life running from him.  Besides, maybe I’m ready to get off the outlaw trail.  If I turn myself in, maybe the judge’ll go easy on me – being I’m a woman and all.  I’ll do a couple years in prison at most, and then I can make a fresh start.  How bad could it be?  Maybe I’ll even get time off for good behavior?”

“Is this the Belle I know?” Heyes asked, raised eyebrows indicating his concern.

“People can change – look at you two, Joshua and Thaddeus,” Belle answered significantly.  “But let’s have a drink first – for old times’ sake.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The threesome pushed through the bat-wing doors and stepped out onto the wooden boardwalk, Belle in the middle, one arm tucked into the crook of Heyes’ arm and the other in Curry’s.  Bass had been lounging against a turned porch column, but straightened to his full height as she let go of her hold on the boys’ arms and sashayed up to the lawman, smiling teasingly as she peered up at him through dark lashes.

“Well, if it isn’t the great Bass Reeves himself, " she cooed.  "Marshal Reeves, it seems I’m your prisoner.  Okay if you don’t put handcuffs on me?  In fact, if you will kindly escort me to Ft. Smith, I will gladly turn myself in.”

Just then a short, stocky native American man, several years Belle’s junior burst out of the saloon.  “Belle?” he asked tentatively.  “What’s goin’ on?”

“Oh, hi, Sam.  We’re turning ourselves in, honey.  Come along now.”

“It’s gone dark, so we can leave in the morning.  I have some friends in Briartown who will let us stay in their barn tonight,” pronounced Reeves.

Belle was not persuaded.  “Oh no, honey.  We’re not spending my last night of freedom in some drafty old barn. It’s less than an hour to my place.  We’ll all stay in Younger’s Bend tonight.  I insist.”

“It’s pretty dark already.  Don’t see how we’ll see our way,” replied Reeves sensibly.

“Oh, nonsense,” Belle exclaimed.  “Venus knows the way even on a moonless night.  There’s been many a time she’s brought me home while I was sound asleep on her back!  I want to take a hot bath and sleep in my own bed tonight.  Who knows when I’ll get a chance to do either of those things again?  And I want to switch out horses and change into my buckskins for the ride.”

FADE TO -- Younger’s Bend Ranch

Although it is full-on dark now as the five riders reach the long lane leading into Younger’s Bend compound, the ranch is bustling with people.  Despite the late hour, the ranch is bustling with activity.  An old, wrinkly man greets them and opens the gate.  Two young boys take their horses into a barn, people come and go; they are welcomed into the main house by a middle-aged woman.  Soon, a table is set with a meal prepared by a cook who oversees a few young women carrying in the platters of cold meat, fruit, and other dishes.  As they finish their late supper, they sit around the table, chatting.

“How many people live here, anyway?” wondered Curry aloud.

Belle smiled contentedly and answered, “Oh, I have no idea.  Most of them are related to Sam.  His parents, a couple of his brothers, some cousins.  And their families.  Plus, my father, my sister, her husband, her kids.  Oh, and my son and daughter live here, too.  And a lot of these people work for us.  Let’s see, there’s a cook, two maids, the laundress, a liveryman, the stable boys, a bunch of ranch hands… Who else, honey?” she asked Sam absently.

“Isn’t that enough?” retorted her husband.

Cut to:
Bedroom with two single beds.  Moonlight is streaming through net curtains and splashing across the beds, illuminating the occupants dimly.  Our heroes are bedded down, but still awake, Heyes is on his side; Curry is lying on his back with his hands behind his head.

“Heyes, this is the strangest job we’ve ever been on.  Here we thought we'd be campin' out, sleepin' rough, yet every night so far we’ve had home-cooked meals and comfortable beds.  And instead of us helpin' Belle get the slip-on Reeves, here she’s actin’ like we’re all in some kind of parade and she’s leadin' it."

"Just goes to show you, Kid.  You never really know what to expect."

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_8_10

Fade to black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fade up.  The next day, a small ranch just outside of Tahlequah...

“Don’t worry, Bass.  I’ll take good care of him,” reassured the rancher, a middle-aged Native American man with a weather-beaten face.  Dressed in a mixture of western clothing and native garb: fringed buckskin shirt, faded blue jeans, fancy, Mexican-style cowboy boots, and long black braids, he stood holding Silver by the bridle.  Bass held the reins of an ordinary-looking dark brown gelding sporting a beat-up old saddle.  He patted his own horse’s neck in farewell.

Heyes, Curry, and the Starrs sat on their mounts, waiting for the marshal.  Belle sat astride a different, more ordinary, horse than we had last seen.  Instead of the fancy velvet riding habit and plumed hat, she is garbed in a well-worn, fringed buckskin shirt and trousers, baggy on her slim legs and cinched tightly around the small waist with a leather belt.  Her hair is pulled back at the nape of her neck and one thick braid hangs down her back.  A man’s Stetson, beaded moccasins, and a Colt 45 in a low-slung holster completed her outfit.

“Thanks, Henry,” Bass smiled.  “I’ll be back for him in a day or so.”  The two men clasped hands and exchanged several words in Cherokee.  Then Reeves swung up into his saddle and the fivesome galloped toward the cluster of buildings visible on the horizon.  When they reached the outskirts of the town, they slowed down and walked their horses.  They passed several businesses, including the Tahlequah General Mercantile and The Tahlequah Courier.

Bass led them down a side street, stopping in front of a modest frame house.  He dismounted and knocked on the door.  After a moment, the door opened and a petite, elderly Indian woman emerged.  When she spotted her visitor, her lined face broke into a huge smile of recognition.  She reached up to embrace him.  The big man bent to hug her tenderly and kissed her on one wrinkled cheek.

They spoke affectionately in her language.  Then Reeves gestured to his companions, seeming to ask a question in the same tongue.  The woman nodded, still smiling.  She turned and called out a name toward the interior of the house.  A lanky, teenage Indian boy emerged and greeted Bass just as familiarly.  He beckoned all of the travelers to follow him, which they did, leading their horses down an alley to a small shed.

Cut to interior, where the weary travelers set down their saddlebags and other baggage among stacked barrels and wooden crates.

“More friends?” asked Heyes, stating the obvious.

“We go way back.  Lushanya is almost like my second mother.  Whenever I come to Tahlequah, she lets me use this outbuildin' as my headquarters.  Not too grand, but it does the job.”  Reeves began to pull out pieces of clothing from his saddlebags.  "You all can rest up here while I scout things out now, folks.  Bowlegs’ hide-out is just a few miles outta town.  Time for me to change my clothes.”  He looked Heyes and Curry up and down, and with a twinkle in his eye said.  “Looks like you two won’t be needin’ to change – you’re already in character.”

Heyes opened his mouth, but before he could speak, the marshal went on to say, “But for now, you all will just wait here ‘til I get back.  Miko’ll bring you something to eat.”

“Oh, come on, Bass!” wheedled Belle.  “I don’t wanna miss out on the fun.  Let me and Sam play, too!  It’ll be our last hurrah before we go to prison.  You know I’m a crack shot – and Sam is no slouch.  Besides, Sam and I are known outlaws; well at least I’m known, so that’ll help sell the story.  What do ya say?”

Reeves looked thoughtful, then replied, “I’ll consider it.  I'll tell you when I get back.”

When Bass returned, dressed in dusty, worn clothes, he found the four just finishing the promised food.  Belle’s eyes sparkled as she asked, “So?  Was he there?  What did you see?  How many men?  What’s the lay-out?”

“I have bad news,” Reeves said, sitting down heavily.  “Bowlegs has got himself a new partner.  Our plan ain’t gonna work no more.  He knows me.”

“Who is it?”

“Fella name of Ezra Jackson.”

The boys catch each other’s eyes at the familiar name.

“Don’t believe I’ve heard of him,” lied Curry.  “How is it you know him?” he asked.

“I’ve done arrested him before, but he busted outta jail.  Matter of fact, I used a disguise that time I brung him in.” Bass sat down on a barrel and reached for the plate of food Belle offered.  He ate as he told the story.  “I had warrants for both Ezra and his brother, Amos.  This time I had my wagon and my driver and cook with me, but I couldn’t risk anyone seein' 'em.  So, we made camp about 28 miles away from the Jackson homestead.  I put on some old, raggedy clothes and walked there.”

Heyes raised an eyebrow at Reeve’s attention to authenticity.  “28 miles?” he repeated.

“Well, I had to look like a real tramp,” Reeves responded.

“And smell like one,” cracked Belle.  The others laughed.  Reeves asked with a sly grin, “I couldn’t very well ride up on old Silver, now, could I?”

“So, then what happened?” prompted Curry.

“I knock on the door and who should answer but their mother.  I tell her I'm runnin’ from a posse, asked her could she please give me some food and a place to rest.  Naturally, bein’ the mother of outlaws, she’s sympathetic to my plight.  Fed me up proper and told me to wait for her sons to get home, said we could all escape together.  So, I go to bed and pretend to be asleep.  Sure enough, they come home in the middle of the night.  I wait “til they nod off, then I creep over and handcuff ‘em to their beds!”

“Well, that was kind of a dirty trick,” commented Sam, taking the outlaws’ side.

“Well, they deserved it!  They broke the law, they gotta pay the price.  I marched ‘em off to my camp the next morning, all 28 miles.”

“What did the mother do?” asked Belle.

“Oh, that poor woman followed us at least three miles, shakin' her fists and cursin' like a soldier the whole way. Lordy, that woman knew how to curse,” he chuckled at the memory.  “I think she would’ve kept it up, too, but by that time, she was losin’ her voice!  After that day, Ezra Jackson will never forget me.  No matter how good I dress up or play-act, I can’t change my skin, my height – oh, I can scrunch down in the saddle for sure, but once I’m standin’ on the solid ground, nosiree.  And Ezra’ll never forgive me neither, ‘cuz even though he escaped before the trial, his brother Amos swung from the gallows.  We gotta think of another plan…”  Reeves began to pace.

The others looked thoughtful.

Suddenly, Heyes perked up and said, “I have an idea.  Bass, you told us before you have two ways of operating, one of them being you advertise your identity.  I say you do that – heck, show it off!  I say we go back and get your flashy white horse and you put your own clothes back on and your ten-gallon hat and your shiny badge, and you ride straight on into the outlaw camp like you own the place – both guns drawn AND…” Heyes grinned slyly…”with the four of us as your prisoners, handcuffed to our saddles.”

Everyone but Reeves stared at him like he’d lost his mind.  The marshal was listening intently and nodding his head.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_9_10

“Like they said,” Heyes went on, “Belle and Sam are well-known in these parts.  And you can tell them we’re two known outlaws, too.  I don’t know... how about the Bolton brothers?  Or better yet, you can say we’re Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry!  It’s been said we bear a passing resemblance to those two desperadoes.”

Both Curry and Belle shot him incredulous stares before quickly regaining their poker faces.

“But you ain’t really handcuffed…” Reeves said with a gleam in his eye.

“Right.  We just make it look like we are, only we’ll have our guns at the ready.  You’ll talk some big talk about being too busy taking us all in to justice to be bothered with them, but they better watch out because you’ll be back soon.”

“I'll getcha in a good position without makin’ it look too obvious, of course, and when I give the signal, y'all draw your weapons,” Reeves finished up and Heyes nodded, still grinning.

Belle looked intrigued.  Sam interested, and the Kid slightly skeptical.

“Brilliant, right?” asked the self-proclaimed genius.

“Brilliant,” Reeves agreed.  “My kinda plan.”

“Don’t encourage him,” muttered Curry under his breath.

Belle immediately said, “Me and Sam are game – but on one condition.  When we get to Ft. Smith, you tell Judge Parker we helped you and that he should go easy on us.”

“That seems a fair deal,” agreed the marshal.  “We’ll have to travel northwest apiece, then swing around and come to the camp from the other side – so it looks like I’m on the way to takin' you all in to Ft. Smith.  I like our odds. There are five of us and only eight of them.”

“Five to eight?” questioned Sam.  “Them are good odds?”

“For me they are,” grinned Reeves.  “Heck, once I dressed up like an old farmer and borrowed a cart and a couple o’ old oxen.  I rode that cart right up to a house where I knew there was six outlaws hidin’ out.  I pretended like the cart got hung up on a stump.  Sure 'nough, out come the six of ‘em to see what’s what.  I pulled out my trusty Colts and made the arrests.  Six of them.  One of me.”  His grin widened.  “So, this’ll be like shootin’ fish in a barrel.”

The group gathered up their belongings and headed for the door.  Heyes and Curry were last in line, but just as Heyes was about to step out, the Kid grabbed his partner by the arm and held him back.

“Are you crazy?  What are you doin’, goin’ and puttin’ the idea in Reeves’s head that we might be who we really are??” he whispered through gritted teeth once they were alone.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_1010

“Don’t you see, Kid.  It’s the only way.  Then, when Jackson insists he knows us and says we really are Heyes and Curry – which he will – Reeves’ll think he’s just saying that because he said we were.”

“And what if Jackson says who we are before Reeves says it!  Ya think of that?” Curry demanded.

“He won’t get a chance.  Just keep your head down while Reeves puts on his big show.  They’ll all be so busy looking at him, they won’t even notice us until after he tells them.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Trust me, Kid.  Maybe he won't even remember us."

"Oh, I think he'll remember the man who kicked him and his brother outta the Devil's Hole Gang!"

"You're the one who told me to do it!"

"Well, we both agreed after Crescent City they only had one more chance.  And you warned 'em."

"Yeah, and then they had to go and horsewhip that conductor."  Heyes shook his head at the memory.

“What if he says how he knows us and Reeves believes him?”

“Then you’re just gonna have to outdraw Reeves.  We tie him up.  And then we run.”

“Outdraw him?!  You saw him back in Paris.  Reeves is fast!”

“Yeah, but I’ve seen you, too, Kid.  You’re faster.”

“Okay, just for argument’s sake, let’s say I am.  Then there goes our amnesty.”

“True.  But if we run out on Reeves now, he’ll tell Colonel Harper and Harper will tell the governor, and there goes our amnesty anyway.  So, it’s the only chance we got.”

Reeves' basso voice interrupted their tête-à-tête, calling, "You boys comin'?"

As the partners hurry to follow, we Fade to…

The five riders walk their horses through a patch of wooded land, the afternoon sun filtering through the leaves, dappling both path and riders with luminous scraps of golden light.  Belle has changed from buckskins back into her riding habit and plumed hat, while Bass Reeves is once again dressed in his fine suit and mounted upon his white stallion.

The marshal held up one gloved hand, calling the small procession to a halt.  “We”re about three miles away from the camp,” he announced.  “Yesterday about this time of day, they were all eatin’ their supper in an outdoor kitchen area.  Hope they’s creatures of habit.”

The others nodded in agreement.  The marshal addressed his party like a general addressing his troops before a battle.  “Now y’all know the plan.  When I signal, you each draw down on one or two of the gang.  I’ll take Bowlegs; he’s the fastest and the best shot.  Jones, you’re pretty good with a gun.  You take Jackson.”

“Okay,” agreed Curry, poker-faced.

“Ain’t ya gonna ask what he looks like?” asked Reeves, squinting at the younger man, who was spinning open the cartridge of his Colt, checking it expertly.

“I assumed you’d point him out to me,” Curry answered blandly, closing the cartridge with a flip of his wrist and giving the wheel a good spin.

“Oh, this is fun,” giggled Belle.  “But what about me, Bass?  I’m good with a gun, too.  In fact, I may even be better than Thaddeus!  Why don’t you let us have a shooting contest to find out?”

Curry and Heyes both cast her dirty looks.

“Oh, you look so serious,” teased the lady outlaw.  “I was just KIDding around!” she smirked as the dirty looks gave way to glares.

“Time to tie y’all up,” ordered Reeves.

“But you said it's three miles!’ protested Belle.  “That’s a long way to ride with our hands tied.”  She pouted exaggeratedly.

Heyes helpfully added, “You might not realize how uncomfortable it is to remain in the same position for such a long time.”

“Y’all might be forgettin’ my upbringin', Mr. Smith.  I believe I know a little bit about bein' ‘uncomfortable.’  We need to make it realistic.  And Bowlegs might’ve posted a guard.”

Heyes looked mollified.

“Well, at least it ain’t 28 miles,” grumbled Curry as Reeves began to unwind a length of rope from his saddle.

“Holsters off,” he commanded.  “Put your sidearm somewhere out of sight, but easily accessible.”

Everyone obediently unbuckled their holsters and stashed them in their saddlebags.  The men tucked their pistols in the front waistbands of their trousers, while Belle concealed hers in a fold of her velvet skirts.

Reeves begins to tie Sam’s wrists first.  The camera zooms into a close-up on his hands knotting the rope.

Fade out and back into the scene – he is tying Belle up last.  The others’ hands are fastened to their saddle horns convincingly.  The reins of each horse are tied to the saddle of the horse in front of it.  Belle’s horse is attached to Reeves’ silver stallion, followed by her husband; next came Heyes, then finally, the Kid.

“Now be careful, cuz these are just slipknots,” instructed the lawman.  “If you pull on them too soon, they’ll come undone before we want 'em to.  Wait for my signal.”  Reeves climbed into his saddle, pulled one of his Colts free, and guided Silver with the other hand.

The cavalcade soon reached a run-down adobe ranch.  Several windows held broken glass panes.  Weeds and tufts of grass sprouted from the roof.  Belle held her head up proudly, Sam looked about curiously, while Curry and Heyes kept their heads low, eyes downcast, their features obscured by the brims of their hats.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_1110

As they got closer, seven men came into view, one manning a fire burning in a ramshackle adobe brick oven, stirring something in a large, iron kettle.  Six others were arranged on benches on either side of a long, narrow, wooden table, constructed from an old barn door balanced on sawhorses.  The entire eating area was shaded by a leaning roof that looked like it had seen better days.

As Reeves had predicted, the gang was partaking in a meal.  They had one half-empty liquor bottle that they passed from man to man, taking turns gulping swigs.  As the riders approached, the men paused from their repast and looked up at the approaching procession warily.

“I only see seven,” muttered Curry to Heyes.

“Me too.  Ya see Jackson?”

“Nope.  He ain’t there.”

Reeves now had both his Colts drawn and he held them up defensively as he halted his horse with knee pressure.  The other horses stopped when their leader did, so that they formed a ragged semi-circle around the covered eating area.

“Howdy, Mr Bowlegs,” Reeves called out, his tone genteel.  “I’m just passin’ by on my way to take these here prisoners to Ft. Smith.  Didn’t wanna pass by without payin' my respects.”

Bowlegs, half rising, began to reach for his sidearm.

“Uh uh uh.”  Reeves gestured with one gun and tutted like a schoolmarm correcting a wayward pupil.  "Hands where I can see 'em.  All of y'all."

Scowling, the gang leader raised his hands and slowly sat back down at the scarred wooden table.  The rest followed suit.

“No call for alarm," Reeves continued in a solicitous tone.  "I can’t take on all of y'all when I already have these here miscreants to watch over.  I just wanna give you fair warnin' that I’ll be back tomorrow to run you in.  Wanted to let ya know jest to be more sportin’.”

All the men burst into loud guffaws.

One outlaw with lank, greasy hair hanging about his shoulders and a dirty eyepatch, taunted, “I heard you was smart, but you must be the dumbest lawman in the territory.  Think we’re gonna just sit here and wait for you to git back?”

The others jeered mockingly.

Bass grinned devilishly.  “Don’t forget, I learnt how to track from the Apaches.  I meant more sportin,' for me," he replied.

The raucous laughter died out.  The outlaws looked at each other somewhat less confidently.

"Say, ain’t that Belle Starr, the Bandit Queen?" another one of the gang members asked, scratching at his thick black beard and peering at the lone female in the company through steel-rimmed spectacles.

Belle tossed her head prettily, pleased at being recognized.

"Yessir," answered Reeves.  "And that there’s her husband Sam.  He's a wanted outlaw, too.  And those last couple fellas there are none other than Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry.  So, as you can see, I got my hands full with much more important outlaws than the likes of you."

"Bass Reeves, you are a lowdown son of a–" began Bowlegs.

The marshal interrupted, asking, "Say, Ben, where's Ezra Jackson?  I heard you two partnered up."

"Then you heard wrong!" scoffed the outlaw.  "Ezra was here, but he lit out a week ago."

Curry and Heyes' eyes met, then Curry gestured subtly toward the Adobe ranch house with his chin.

At that moment, the front door burst open and out charged a gangly young man in his mid-20's, long blond hair streaming behind him.  He was shouldering a double-barreled shotgun which he aimed at Reeves as he ran toward the marshal, yelling with rage, "You tricked my Maw!  You kilt my brother!

"Now, now, Ezra, I didn’t kill Amos.  The United States Government lawfully sentenced him to hang on account of the crimes he committed," soothed Reeves, training his left-hand pistol on Jackson while keeping the right-hand weapon leveled at Bowlegs.

"They never coulda done it if it weren’t for you and your lies," the distraught young outlaw's words dripped off his tongue with bitter resentment.

Eye-patch, seeing Reeves preoccupied in two different directions, began to reach slowly beneath the table.

Then, all of a sudden, mayhem broke out with everything seeming to happen at once.

In a series of rapid camera cuts and deafening gunshots, the following scene unfolds:

Eye-patch suddenly whipped a pistol from beneath the table.

In the blink of an eye, Kid Curry’s hand, which had been so recently tied securely to his saddlehorn, was brandishing his trusty Colt.  A shot rang out and the pistol flew from the outlaw’s hand.  The man howled in pain and bent over double, grabbing at his wrist, which was oozing blood.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_1210

In the same instant, Spectacles leapt to his feet and flung a hunting knife in Reeves' direction with deadly accuracy. Without a second of hesitation, the Kid swung his arm in the opposite direction to fire a second shot immediately following the first.  With a metallic ‘twang’ and a visible spark, the bullet pinged against the weapon, knocking it harmlessly to the ground.

Jackson, still running at the lawman, let loose with both barrels.

Taking advantage of the distraction, Bowlegs drew on Reeves.  Two pistol blasts merged as one as the marshal shot at Jackson with his left hand and Bowlegs with the right.

Jackson’s aim went wild.  The shotgun flew from his hand and clattered to the ground as he pitched over, blood streaming from a hole in his thigh.  Howling in pain, he grabbed his leg with both hands to stop the blood flow and hurled bitter curses at the lawman.  His weapon lay several feet away in the dust, a wisp of smoke still trailing from the muzzle

Almost simultaneously, the grizzled old cook pulled a rifle from behind the large iron kettle and leveled it at Reeves.

A third well-aimed shot from Curry hit the stock of the rifle and knocked the old man off his feet where he sprawled flat out on his back and lay there, stunned.

Another gang member, a young man with dark skin, barely old enough to shave, reached for his sidearm, but a bullet from Heyes’ Schofield splintered the table in front of him and stopped him cold.  He immediately leapt to his feet in alarm, hands over his head.

Next to him, a Cherokee boy about the same age, was giving up to Belle, who was leveling her pistol at him, smiling flirtatiously.

Jackson scrambled in the dirt for the dropped shotgun, but Bass leapt from his horse, strode over to the fallen man, and kicked it out of reach.

It all seemed to be over in an instant.

The cook pulled himself into a sitting position, hands reaching over his head.

Bowlegs, still standing, clutched his right shoulder with his left hand.  He continued to point the gun at Reeves with his right hand, but it was trembling violently and he seemed to be having trouble keeping it steady.

Heyes turned his Schofield from the younger man to train it on Bowlegs.  "Drop it!" he ordered.

Snarling like a cornered animal, Bowlegs jerked his attention from Reeves to Heyes, who had a dangerous look in his brown eyes.  As soon as their gaze met, Bowlegs’ bravado faltered.  Defeated, he opened his fingers slowly, dropping his pistol to the ground.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_1310

Belle Starr, still holding her pearl-handled pistol, was dancing gracefully around the table, collecting firearms.

Sam, also untied and dismounted, was holding his gun on the final gang member, a middle-aged Indian man.

Bass Reeves stared at Curry, who twirled his Colt in a quadruple flourish, remembered just in time he didn't have his gunbelt on, and tucked it into his waistband without missing a beat.

Close-up on Jackson, who was also staring, mouth agape, first at Curry, then at Heyes, then back to Curry with dawning recognition.  He was sitting in the dust still clutching his wounded leg.  Curry slid off his horse and reached him in six long strides.  He grabbed the wounded outlaw as if to haul him to his feet.

Jackson began to sputter, "Why it is you, you–" but whatever he was about to say was cut off. Curry glanced furtively at Reeves.  The lawman was walking over to the table, not looking in their direction.  He quickly cold-cocked the injured man.  Jackson slumped over, unconscious.

"What did you do to him?" demanded Reeves, whipping his head around at the sound of knuckles cracking on jawbone.

"Nothin’.  I think he just passed out from the pain," the Kid replied innocently.

Fade to… injured outlaws are being tended to, horses are being saddled and gathered, everything is getting organized for the trip back to Ft. Smith.

“That was some fine shooting, Bass,” Heyes complimented the marshal.  “Two men at the same time.”

“I only dispatched two, but I heard six shots, not countin’ the shotgun blast,” said Reeves, eyeing Curry.

“I drew down on that one,” Belle boasted happily as she rose from where she had just tied a clean rag around the wrist of the man with the eyepatch.  She continued to brag proudly, pointing to the young Indian outlaw, who sat with hands tied behind his back.  “Made him drop his gun before he could use it.  And my Sam drew on that fella over there.  I saw Hey– him – Mr. Smith – shoot at the table to get this guy over here to give up.  So, you and Jones must have done the rest.”

Bass, his gaze still trained on Curry, responded thoughtfully, “That means you shot the cook’s shotgun outta his hands andyou shot that fella's weapon outta his hand.  Pretty fancy shootin'.  And you even had to get untied first.”

“Well, your knot was a good one, sir,” Curry prevaricated.  “Slipped right off, just like you said.”

“What about him?” Sam asked, pointing to the bearded man in spectacles.  “Didn't he try anything?”

“Guess not,” answered Curry.  “I think he was too scared to.”

Spectacles pointed to where his hunting knife lay in the dirt with a trembling finger.  He then made an "evil eye" sign, crossed himself quickly and mumbled something in Spanish, pointing at the Kid.  "El Diablo -- the devil!” being the only comprehensible words.  

Reeves walked over to the knife and picked it up, examining it.  There was a definite dent in it where it had deflected the bullet.  The lawman walked over to the praying man and held it out to him.  “You threw this at me?” he asked.

“Si,” answered the man, “si.”  He pointed to Curry fearfully and said,” That man, he shot my knife out of the air!”

“Aww I think he's lying,” opined Heyes.  “That knife had probably been sitting on the ground with a dent in it for a while.  He doesn't want to seem cowardly, so he's pretending he threw it.”

“As I said, I heard one shotgun blast and six pistol shots,” pronounced Bass.

Then Eyepatch spoke up.  “Raul is deadly with his throwing knives.  I have seen him kill many a man.  He is no coward.”

“Well, no sense arguing,” Heyes said with forced joviality.  “Let's finish getting these fellas patched up, tied up and off to Ft. Smith before we lose the light.”

Reeves watched both men thoughtfully as they hustled about, helping to bind the injured men's wounds, supervise while the non-injured saddled horses, and then tied all the prisoners’ hands to their saddles.  The unconscious Jackson was laid over the back of a horse and tied on securely.  Soon the motley procession began to make their way down the trail.

Fade out.

Fade in.  Close-up on sign: Ft. Smith 10 miles.  Camera pulls back to reveal Reeves bringing the riders to a halt.

"Well, I’d say you boys have done more than enough to earn your pay.  I’ll wire it to Colonel Harper.  I’m sure he’ll know how to get it to you,” stated Reeves

“Beg pardon?” asked Heyes.

“We’re still ten miles from Ft. Smith,” Curry pointed out.

“I believe I can get there without your help.  I know my way around the Territory like a cook knows his way around the kitchen," answered Reeves.

“But you’ve got ten prisoners!” countered Heyes.

“Aw, this is nothin’.  My record is nineteen.  ‘Sides, the Starrs are comin' willingly and Ezra’s still out cold, so it’s really only seven I gotta watch.  And we’re almost spittin’ distance.”

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you’re tryin’ to get rid of us,” suggested Heyes.

“You’re awfully clever, Mr. Smith, comin’ up with all those brilliant plans.  And I ain’t never seen nobody shoot like you done, Mr. Jones…”

“Well, thank you, Marshal, that’s quite a compliment comin’ from you,” answered Curry, playing innocent.

“Hmm, puts me to mind of somethin’...  Let’s see, how did that go again….?  Oh yes… Age 29.  Height 5 feet eleven inches.  Weight 160 pounds.  Dark brown hair.  Brown eyes…  Should I go on?  Or perhaps I should say, Age 27. Height Five feet eleven inches.  Weight 165 pounds.  Dark blond hair, blue eyes…”

The owners of the recited descriptions turned slowly toward each other with sickly expressions.

Reeves stopped his recitation and grinned.  “Don’t worry, boys.  I owe you my life a few times over and I always pay my debts.  I’ll tell Colonel Harper I couldn’t have brought Bowlegs and Jackson and the rest in without your help – and that’s the God’s honest truth.”

“Thank you, sir,” both boys managed to say.

“But don’t you two never come back through Indian Territory.  Cuz if Judge Parker hands me your warrants, I’m honor-bound to run you in.”

“Even after we did all we did?” Curry asked, despite Heyes’ warning frown.

Reeves nodded slowly and said solemnly, “Maybe the law ain’t perfect, but it’s the only one we got, and without it we got nuthin’.  Now, best you git.”  He smiled a big, broad, toothy smile.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_1410

Somewhat sheepishly, Heyes and Curry leaned from their saddles, stretching out their hands to shake Reeves' larger one in turn.  With a solemn face, but a twinkle of amusement in his eyes, the marshal tugged at the brim of his Stetson, and they reined their horses around and galloped off toward the west.

In unison, the partners twisted around for one last parting glance, each waving goodbye.

The camera freezes on the final shot of Reeves’ imposing figure, sitting atop his big white horse, his prisoners mounted just behind him, one hand raised in a silent farewell.

The Job by Little Bluestem Asj_1411

Cue theme music.

Author’s notes:  

Deputy US Marshal Bass Reeves was a real man, whose physical description, integrity, valor, and heroic exploits I have lifted from several reliable sources.  Indeed, almost all of the anecdotes included in this story actually took place, including the arrest of his own son for murder, although that didn’t occur until much later, in 1913.

Since the original ASJ often played loose with the historical timeline, I also felt I had license to take a few liberties. The Jackson Brothers’ original arrest story is true as well, although the Jacksons themselves are fictional, seeing as the names of the actual outlaw brothers are not given in the source of this story.

Sadly, much of the history of the Old West has been “whitewashed,” but in recent years, Bass has been getting some well-deserved, albeit belated press.  For example, an episode in the erstwhile television series Timeless featured Bass Reeves along with his friend and fellow deputy marshal, Grant Johnson, in which the protagonists learn that Reeves was the real-life inspiration for the “Lone Ranger.”  It is also rumored that Quentin Tarantino’s film character Django was based loosely on Reeves.  You can watch a Bass Reeves movie on Amazon and you can even find a “Drunk History” episode about some of his exploits.  In his over 30-year career, Bass Reeves brought more than 3,000 outlaws to justice, shooting and killing 14 in the line of duty.

Three of Bass’s lines included in this VS are actual quotes from Reeves:

“I never shot a man when it was not necessary to do so in the discharge of my duty to save my own life.”

“I know my way around the Territory like a cook knows his way around the kitchen.”

“Maybe the law ain’t perfect, but it’s the only one we got, and without it we got nuthin.”

In addition, the printed card at the “deadline” is from real life:
“Eighty miles west of Fort Smith was known as “the deadline,” and whenever a deputy marshal from Fort Smith or Paris, Texas, crossed the Missouri, Kansas & Texas track he took his own life in his hands and he knew it.  On nearly every trail would be found posted by outlaws, a small card warning certain deputies that if they ever crossed the deadline they would be killed.  Reeves has a dozen of these cards which were posted for his special benefit. And in those days, such a notice was no idle boast, and many an outlaw has bitten the dust trying to ambush a deputy on these trails.” – Oklahoma City newspaper article, 1907

Ben Bowlegs was also a real person, one of the many outlaws arrested in Indian Territory by Bass Reeves.  Other than his various aliases and the fact that Reeves arrested him, I could not find any details, so felt free to fabricate them.

You have probably heard of Belle Starr. She and her husband Sam are also real-life historical figures.  As the Kid mentions, many modern-day historians believe that much of Belle’s infamy as a lady outlaw was due to greatly exaggerated stories, including typically hyperbolic dime novels.  However, there is much contradictory information to be found, even on respectable websites.  It is known that she married three times, and while the few photographs of her were taken later in life and do not portray a beauty, one could assume she was more attractive in actuality, especially in her younger days.  I found a few first-hand accounts which corroborated her physical charms.  Since she seemed to have a “type" – all three husbands were dark-haired, dark-eyed outlaws, Jim Reed, Sam Starr, and Jim (or maybe Bill) July, and she herself is quoted as claiming, “I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw” – it isn’t much of a stretch to imagine she might have become enamored with our own favorite dark-haired, dark-eyed outlaw, Hannibal Heyes.

There are conflicting stories about Belle and Sam’s arrest.  One says that the couple was arrested by Reeves in 1882.  Another goes that when she heard Reeves had a warrant for her arrest, Belle turned herself in.  I have combined those two legends.  However her arrest transpired, there is no disputing that Belle Starr was convicted of horse theft in 1883, and that she served a mere 9 months at the Detroit House of Corrections, where she was reported to be a model prisoner.  Her husband, Sam, was not so compliant, yet was also released after 9 months. Upon her release, Belle purportedly returned to her larcenous ways.  She was arrested again in 1886, but not convicted.  Belle was murdered only three years later and her killer never officially identified.

Another note:  The boys begin their journey in Sweetwater, Texas, which was an actual town in the northwestern part of the state, just near Fort Elliott.  However, in 1879, when the town incorporated, it was renamed Mobeetie due to the fact that there already was another town named Sweetwater in the state.  Once again, I played with the timeline because Sweetwater just has a nicer ring to it.  At the time of the story (vaguely early 1880s), Mobeetie, nee Sweetwater, was a booming little town whose business revolved around cattle ranching.  Since it suited the story geographically, I thought it quite possible the boys had just completed some cattle-related errand there for their friend, Pat McCreedy.

Lastly, while doing research for this story, my eyes were further opened to the terrible injustices and horrific abuses that the indigenous peoples of this country – as well as enslaved people and their descendants – have faced and are still facing today.

(Writers love feedback!  You can comment on Little Bluestem's story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen.  You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous.  You can type any name in the box.)
Penski
Post Sat 07 Mar 2020, 3:33 pm by Penski
I love learning history while reading ASJ fanfiction - thanks for the lessons on Bass Reeves!  His life was really interesting.  Loved how you put Heyes and Curry into his story in a very plausible way.  Must have been difficult position for them to be in, especially arresting their friends.  Wonderful Hannibal Heyes plan to get the bad guys.  Lucky that Bass let them go. Wonderful episode, Little Bluestem!
 goodjob
rachelcz1
Post Sun 08 Mar 2020, 9:17 am by rachelcz1
This is great, really reads like an episode. I love Bass and the authors notes are fascinating. I enjoyed the story.
Post Tue 10 Mar 2020, 12:55 pm by Nightwalker
I'm not sure what to say - just perfect.
You captured the ASJ feeling and the characters spot on. The typical coincidences that occur against all odds are so very much alike some story lines in the series and you handeled it masterfully to blend adventure and personal dilemma with humor and historical facts.
I admire your accurate research, and I'm really fond of your cast.
Great episode. clap
Post Wed 18 Mar 2020, 4:44 am by Dan Ker
Another adventurou story for this year's VS season.
I always like it when authors involve the boys with historical situations or let them meet historical persons. So did LittleBluestem.

Bass Reeves certainly was an impressive man. You describe him, as well as many other special scenes, in a vividly detailed style.
Especially the action scene is written in a meticulous way so the reader can easily imagine every move a person makes.

I very much like the introduction part. Absolutely in character how
Heyes manages to talk Kid into going around the Indian territory.
You emphasize his ability never to be at a loss for an answer.
Splendid your remark from Kid to Heyes:" You're an odds player."
Interesting to see at the beginning Kid was positive that the odds would be for them. Later on it's vice versa.
Loved Heyes ' sentence:" I know it doesn't make any sense, but when it comes to us and lawmen, somehow the odds don't seem to matter."

Your story is written close to the Series. You create a typical situation for them, inclusive lots of bad luck.
I can't help myself but to a good ASJ story belongs your chosen sentence:"You couldn't come up with anything better than Smith and Jones?"
And, of course the fact that they can't afford not to take the job offered to them. To bring in a couple of hard cases isn't a thing they're fond of... .

Nice your combination of circumstances to Blanche Graham in "Journey from Saint Juan". I am glad you point out Heyes wants to help her to escape first.

At the beginning I was a bit confused because it is mentioned that Bass has a weather lathered skin but not that he's dark. He very much reminds of Joe in the "Bounty Hunter".... Too, you let Bass speak in a way like Joe. Funny, the deputy marshall loves to hear himself speak, I got the same impression of Joe.
Very good how you emphasize Heyes is sensible to the topic (all men are created equal) in practice and theory.

Another point makes your story something special. You work with lots of various camera settings and point of view spots. The use of Fades help to compress the plot and stimulate the readers imagination.
Brilliant your idea to superimpose a map of Indian territory onto the "screen" including a dotted line to indicate the traveller's progress. That's vivid!

I must admit I didn't quite understand : the Indian territory is like a hideout for outlaws?

I like your remark "looks like you two won't be needing to change - you're already in character".
But finally, what I liked most, was Kid knocking out cold Jackson..

I really can see his innocent expression right in front of my eyes when he's asked "What are you doing?" And what's the answer of a naughty boy who exactly knows he's doing something wrong? "Nothing."
Post Sat 21 Mar 2020, 7:07 pm by Laura
This is a good story, well told. Just their luck, they ride 3 extra days to avoid meeting Bass Reeves and end up meeting him and having supper with him. Thanks for the history lesson that comes with the story, Reeves was quiet the lawman. Heyes came up with a good plan for capturing Bowlegs. It was good of Reeves to overlook who he knew they were.
Post  by Sponsored content

The Job by Little Bluestem

Page 1 of 1