Stories: Alias Smith and Jones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stories: Alias Smith and Jones

Buckshot Enterprises Presents a site for posting and reading Alias Smith and Jones Stories

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
royannahuggins
royannahuggins

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Empty
PostDecoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Blurb_10

According to newspaper headlines and eyewitness accounts, the evidence from a string of stagecoach robberies point straight to Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry being in league with the Devil's Hole Gang.  Have Heyes and Curry given up on the amnesty deal and returned to their old ways?

Starring

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_de10
Pete Duel and Ben Murphy as
Hannibal Heyes and as Kid Curry

Guest Starring

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_de11
DeForest Kelley as Outlaw Leader

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_st10
Steve McQueen as Lloyd Masters

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_de12
Earl Holliman as Wheat Carlson

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_de13
Dennis Fimple as Kyle Murtry

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_ja10
James Drury as Sheriff Lom Trevors

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_de14
J.D. Cannon as Harry Briscoe

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_de15
Martha MacIsaac as Lucy Pinkerton

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_de16
Malcolm Barrett as the Bartender

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_de17
Curtis Harris as Billy

Decoys – Part 1
by Little Bluestem

Teaser:

Setting:
 A ridgeline with a view to a trail winding through the canyon below.  It is a lovely spring day, with brightly colored wildflowers blooming cheerfully, scattered amidst the sparse brush, bobbing gently in the gentle breeze beneath a deep blue sky embroidered with cottony white clouds.  A stagecoach pulled by six horses comes into view, trotting around a bend.  All seems peaceful until the driver suddenly hauls on the brakes with both hands to avoid a pile of boulders blocking the road.  Then, seemingly from all directions, masked riders burst onto the scene, guns drawn.  From the distance, we see the desperadoes in pantomime.  The driver grabs a shotgun from the seat next to him and attempts to make a stand, but seeing he is woefully outnumbered, he soon drops the weapon and raises his arms in surrender.  We can’t hear voices, but it is obvious by his gesticulations that he is arguing with them.  Now one of the robbers dismounts and yanks open the door.

Hands held shakily above their heads, the passengers stumble out of the coach.  First two very pretty young women, still in the bloom of youth, possibly sisters, as evidenced by their similar features.  The elder one turns to help a frail looking old lady descend the steps.  The younger one, defiant, is shouting something at the bandit who is nearest.  As if swatting a fly, he clouts her against the side of the head and she crumbles.  The elderly lady is seen to scold the outlaw while the other girl rushes to help the fallen one.  Meanwhile a middle-aged woman clutching the hand of a small boy, maybe eight or nine years of age, climbs out.

Two more members of the gang dismount.  But what is this?  We can only see them from the back, but these two outlaws look very familiar.  Both are tall and well-built, with broad shoulders and long legs.  That one, the one in the tan leather vest and cornflower blue shirt -- are those sandy brown curls beneath the floppy brown hat?  And the other, with buff-colored pants tucked into scuffed black boots, sporting a black cowboy hat with a silvery band, the one who seems to be ordering the others around -- slim and graceful as he gestures with gloved hand, it couldn’t be…...?

The passengers are now being ordered to stand aside, hands still held shakily above their heads.  The younger girl is clutching the side of her head, supported by the older one.  They all huddle together.

With the bandits’ attention on the passengers, the driver sees his chance.  Surreptitiously, he withdraws a handgun from his boot.  The Kid Curry look-alike whirls, drawing as he spins, and drills a hole into the man’s chest.  From this distance, his face cannot be clearly seen.  The driver slowly topples from the stage to the ground.  The two young girls shriek and clutch each other.  The middle-aged woman tries to cover her little boy’s eyes from the horrifying scene.  The elderly woman begins to pray fervently.

“Nice shootin’, Kid,” snarls the Heyes look-alike.  But that guttural snarl can’t possibly be Heyes’ voice!  

“Let’s get the goods, Heyes,” answers the Kid look-alike gruffly in a harsh voice we also do not recognize, twirling his six-gun impressively and sliding it back into his holster.  Slowly, menacingly, they advance on the vulnerable-looking passengers, hugging one another in terror.

Cut to Theme music and the well-known intro...

FADE UP ON:

A steamy bathhouse.  Two galvanized tubs separated by a small wooden table hold our two favorite reformed outlaws, each submerged up to his chest in soapy bubbles, each with a big cigar clenched between his teeth and each scrubbing himself vigorously.  We join them in mid-conversation...

“Heyes, I'm serious,” stated the Kid.  “That’s the LAST time we ever join a cattle drive!”

“That’s what you said after Ten Strike, Kid.”

“This time I really mean it.”

“But you gotta admit, the pay was great!  And now we can rest up here for at least a week -- soft beds, cold beers, and nice, hot baths…Aaaaaah!”  Heyes sighed contentedly as he luxuriated in his sudsy, steaming bathtub.

“After this, I want a big steak dinner with all the trimmin’s!” Curry pronounced.

“Thought you had enough of cattle for a while,” smirked Heyes.

“Huh.  I won’t have to pull it out of a ditch or follow behind it eatin’ the dust kicked up from its hooves.”

“Aah, I see.  This will be a revenge meal,” cracked his partner, dimpling as he grinned merrily.

Their laughter was interrupted by the door opening.  A neatly uniformed male attendant stepped into the room carrying a pile of fluffy white towels and a folded newspaper tucked underneath his arm.

“Your towels, gentlemen,” he said crisply, setting them on the small table between the two bathtubs.  “And here is today’s newspaper as you requested, Mr. Smith.  May I get you anything else?”

The attendant placed the folded newspaper closer to Heyes’ side of the table next to the stack of folded towels.

“Thanks, I believe we have everything we need,” answered Heyes.

“Yeah, thanks,” echoed Curry, removing his cigar momentarily, then placing it back into his mouth and puffing out a smoke ring.  He leaned back in the tub and closed his eyes as he continued to puff.

“Very good, sirs,” replied the attendant.  He bowed and departed the room, closing the door behind him as Hannibal Heyes dried his hands on one of the towels, then reached for the newspaper.  He leaned back against the tub, settling in to read.

“So, let’s see what’s been happening in the world since we’ve been out of touch…” he began, opening the paper to the front page.

Abruptly Heyes sat bolt upright, sloshing water out of the tub.  “Kid!” he exclaimed.

Kid Curry opened one blue eye warily.  “What?  What is it now, Heyes?”

The camera looks over Heyes’ shoulder so that the viewer can read what he is reading aloud:

“Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry
wanted in string of brutal stage-
coach robberies in Granite Pass.”

“What??”  The Kid sat up straight, also splashing water out of his tub and letting the cigar fall unheeded from his mouth with a small plop.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_1_11

“Listen to this,” Heyes continued reading.  

“In the latest incident, the stage-
coach driver was murdered in cold
blood while a helpless family of
women and children looked on in
horror.  The gang not only robbed
them of all their valuables, but also
stole the horses.  The unfortunate
victims of the dastardly deed had
no choice but to walk a distance of
ten miles over rough terrain to the
nearest ranch to seek assistance.  
An elderly member of the party
suffered from severe exposure and
is not expected to survive --”

He stopped reading abruptly and turned to his partner.  “You know what this means, Kid?” he demanded.

“Yeah.  It means I ain’t gonna get that steak dinner after all,” Curry groaned in resignation, reaching for a towel.

DISSOLVE TO:

Front desk of a hotel, behind which a male clerk is sorting through papers.  The hands of the conveniently placed clock on the wall indicate it is now 3:54.

Heyes and Curry burst onto the scene.  Their hair is damp along the edges.  They are in obvious haste, saddlebags slung over their shoulders, still buttoning up their shirts.

As the clerk looked up, surprised, Heyes demanded, “When’s the next train to Laramie?”

“Leaving so soon, gentleman?  Is there a problem?” inquired the hotel clerk.

“No, no, everything was great -- just a change of plans.  We need to get to Porterville!” blurted Heyes.

“If you hurry, you can catch the 4:00 pm express,” answered the clerk, casting a skeptical glance at the clock next to him, now showing 3:55.

The boys each threw some money down on the counter and hustled out the door, leaving the bewildered clerk to gather it up and begin counting.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_2_11

Accompanied by the distant sound of a train’s whistle, the hotel scene fades into the interior of a train in motion.  Through the window we see the scenery passing by.

Kid Curry is in his typical train-riding position, leaning back in the seat, brown hat tipped over his eyes, arms folded across his chest.

“How can you sleep at a time like this?” Heyes stage-whispered to his partner in annoyance.

“I can’t,” came the terse reply from beneath the hat.  “You keep talkin’ to me.”

“Listen to this one,” his partner insisted, ignoring the complaint.  He began to read from the paper in a discreetly quiet, yet urgent voice:

“Notorious outlaws Hannibal Heyes
and Kid Curry have not been heard
from for over a year, when they
apparently turned their hands to
philanthropy in the town of Hadley-
burg, Colorado.  Rumors have been
circulating that the two most
successful outlaws in the west had
retired from their lamentable lives
of crime.  Several reports have sur-
faced suggesting that the fugitives
are living under assumed identities
in South America.  Still others have
speculated that the once infamous
outlaws met their demise in the
town of Deadwood, in the Dakota
Territory.  However, recent eye-
witness accounts prove without a
doubt that the desperadoes have
resumed their criminal association
with the Devil’s Hole Gang in
Wyoming Territory.”

Curry pushed his hat up with one finger and squinted at his partner from beneath the brim.  He said calmly, “Relax, Heyes.  There’s nothin’ we can do ‘til we get there.  Stewin’ about it won’t help.  Save your energy.”

Heyes ignored his partner’s advice and began to rant.  “How could this happen?  There goes our amnesty!  We might as well take the train to Mexico, not Wyoming.”

“Come on,” Curry cajoled, “this ain’t our first rodeo.  We’ve cleared our names before -- you haven’t forgotten August Binford, have you?  And then there was that situation with Billy and Caleb -- and how about that incident in Red Gap with Powers and Fletcher?  We can do it again, Heyes.  I have faith in you.  You’ll think of something.”  With that, Curry placed the hat firmly back over his face.

Just then a young boy came down the train aisle selling newspapers.  Heyes beckoned him over and bought one.  As the boy continued down the aisle hawking his papers, Heyes opened his newest newspaper and began to read silently.

In less than a minute, he groaned quietly.

“Oh, it just gets worse and worse,” exclaimed Heyes, knocking Curry on the shoulder, who sighed heavily, pushed up his hat, and opened one wary eye.  Once again, Heyes began to read aloud:

“In the past, the Devil’s Hole Gang,
led by Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry,
was known to prey solely on trains
and banks, never robbing ordinary
citizens, which lent the outlaws folk
hero status amongst the common
people.  All that has changed given
the brutal nature of the recent attacks.  
The despicable gang, once again led
by Heyes and Curry, has lain in am-
bush in Granite Pass, Wyoming
Territory, seeking out the most
vulnerable travelers, including the
elderly, families with young children,
and most especially, defenseless
women.  A wagon train of missionary
sisters and a stagecoach carrying
mail-order brides were the most
recent victims.”

Heyes finally had Curry’s full attention.  He sat up, outraged.  “What!?  What kind of sick folks go after women and children?!”

DISSOLVE TO:

Porterville train station.  The train arrives in a cloud of smoke and steam.  Before it even comes to a complete stop, our boys hop out and hustle along the platform, toting their saddle bags.  The camera follows them as they hurry through the familiar streets of Porterville and approach a bench where two scruffy-looking men sit reading newspapers, the headlines of which blast the latest transgressions of Heyes and Curry.  As the subjects of those headlines hurry past them, the readers lower the papers beneath their noses to watch the pair dash by.  Even though the larger one is wearing a preposterous looking derby hat and steel-rimmed spectacles while the smaller of the two sports an eyepatch and an obviously phony mustache, they are immediately recognizable to faithful viewers as none other than… Wheat Carlson and Kyle Murtry.

Heyes and Curry stride past the bench purposefully, but then, simultaneously as is their wont, they stop and do a double take.  Together, they walk back to their erstwhile gang members.

“Wheat?  Kyle?  That really you?” inquired Heyes.

“We’s in disguise,” said Kyle craftily, looking about to see if anyone else has noticed their presence.

“Heyes.  Kid.  We figured you’d come when you heard,” Wheat drawled, indicating the headline of the newspaper he holds.  “What took you so long?”

“We just found out,” replied the Kid.  “What are you two doin’ here?”

“Same thing as you,” the big outlaw replied.  “We got to clear our name!  The Devil’s Hole Gang don’t rob women and children.  Fact is, we don’t even do banks no more, since -- well, since... here.”  He gestured vaguely toward the Porterville Bank, visible in the background.

Kyle shrugged elaborately and grinned sheepishly as all eyes turned to glance at the bank’s stone edifice, repaired of course since the previous visit by their gang.

Wheat continued, “Now we specialize strictly in trains.  And you know we ain’t killers!  We got our reputation to protect.  Matter a fact, with you two gone, I’ve become known as The Gentleman Bandit.  See?”  He pulled a slim dime novel from his back pocket and held it out.  It was entitled Wheat Carlson, Gentleman Bandit, and the Devil’s Hole Gang Save the Orphan Train.

“Yeah, we’s famous now,” Kyle boasted, pointing to the book.  “I’s on page 26,” he added proudly.

“The rest of the boys are over to the saloon.  We was hopin’ you’d show up so’s we can help you catch these impostors.  We’ve had to lay low seein’ as the last time we was in Porterville it didn’t go so good…”

“Hence the disguises?” queried Heyes, smirking just enough to show a glimpse of dimple.

“Yeah, Hence. Um... Yeah,” harrumphed Wheat.

“We’re on our way to meet with Lom now,” stated Heyes.  “You fellas staying at the hotel?”

“Uh, naw,” answered Wheat, somewhat sheepishly.  “We’re campin’ just about a mile north of town.”

“Gentleman Banditry don’t exactly pay so good,” Kyle added apologetically.

“Okay, we’ll find you later, after we’ve talked to Lom,” said Heyes.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_3_11

CUT TO LOM'S OFFICE, INTERIOR:

As the boys pushed through the door to the sheriff’s office, Lom rose from his desk to greet them.  “Heyes!  Kid!” he exclaimed.  “Where’ve you been?  I’ve been tryin’ ro reach you for weeks!  I telegraphed Clem, Silky, Soapy, Colonel Harper, Big Mac -- everyone I could think of!  You two haven’t checked in for over a month.”

“Sorry, Lom.  We were on a cattle drive.  We came as soon as we heard,” explained Heyes.

“And Wheat and the boys are in town,” put in Curry.  “They’re gonna help.”

“What has the governor said?” Heyes asked.

“Just what you’d expect.  That if you don’t prove to him that this ain’t you by capturing the real culprits, then the deal is not only off, your rewards will be doubled.  Not to mention they’re adding murder to the charges.”

“This is exactly what I said would happen when you first told us about this “deal” with the governor!  That we were gonna get blamed for everything that goes wrong!” scoffed Curry.

“That isn’t helpful, Kid,” Heyes chided his partner.  “What we need is a plan.”  He turned his full attention to the sheriff.  “Lom, tell us everything you know about the robberies.”

“Not so fast,” Lom cautioned.  “The governor is sending in two Bannerman agents.  They’ll be arriving on the 7:00 am train tomorrow morning.  Before you go conjuring up one of your famous Hannibal Heyes Plans, let’s wait to hear what they have to say.  Coffee?”  The boys nodded and took seats in the two chairs in front of Lom’s desk as he turned to fill three mugs with the steaming brew.

As Lom poured, his back to the boys, Curry muttered under his breath, “Bannerman agents?  He can’t mean…”

Heyes muttered back, “Nahh -- what are the odds?”

Lom handed them their cups, then took his own and sat down behind his desk.  He swallowed a sip of coffee and began, “It all started about three weeks ago….”

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_4_11

FADE OUT

FADE UP ON:

The Porterville Train station early the next morning.  Lom, Kid, and Heyes are waiting on the platform as the train pulls in.  Among the crowd of passengers embarking the train is a mustachioed, grey suited, bandy-legged man sporting two sidearms on his hips.  His close-set eyes squint as he searches the platform, then widen with recognition.  Yes, dear viewer, stepping off the train is none other than our old friend, Harry Briscoe.

“Oh, no.  Tell me I’m not seein’ what I think I’m seein’,” moaned Curry.

“I could do that, Kid, but it’d be a lie.”

Harry strode over to the trio, a broad smile on his face.  Accompanying him was a petite brunette woman in a no-nonsense traveling suit carrying a small carpet bag.

“Smith!  Jones!  Thought I might find you here.  And you must be Sheriff Lom Trevors.”  Harry reached out to shake hands all around.  “Harry Briscoe, Bannerman Detective.  And this little lady is Miss Lucy Pinkerton, the Bannerman Agency’s first female detective.”

The “Little Lady” cleared her throat pointedly and glared at Briscoe.

Briscoe hastily amended his introduction.  “I mean, this PERSON is my ASSOCIATE, Miss Lucy Pinkerton.”

Miss Pinkerton smiled with satisfaction and reached out to shake hands as Lom made introductions.

“Uh, this is Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones,” said Lom.  “They know Granite Pass very well so I’ve brought them in as deputies.”

As they shook hands, Heyes inquired, “Miss Pinkerton?” emphasizing her surname.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_5_11

The young woman replied in a clipped British accent, “Yes, your suspicions are correct, Mr. Smith.  I’m Allan Pinkerton’s niece.  He wouldn’t hire me himself lest he be accused of nepotism, but he did suggest to his friend and colleague, George Bannerman, that he lure me away from Scotland Yard where I’ve been working as a detective.  Uncle Allan has been employing female Pinkertons for years.  It’s about time Bannerman joined the 19th century.”

“And Bannerman himself handpicked yours truly as the agent to show her the ropes,” bragged Briscoe.

Just then a porter arrived, wheeling a cart carrying a large trunk.

“Miss Pinkerton, your trunk,” the porter announced.

The four men eyed the over-sized trunk and exchanged knowing smirks.

“I know what you’re thinking!” the owner of the trunk snapped.  “Ladies and their luggage.  I’ll have you know, these are my personal effects, gentlemen,” she hefted the small carpet bag.  “That,” she continued, pointing to the trunk, “contains your disguises.  Please deliver it to the hotel,” she directed the porter, tipping him with a few coins from her reticule.

“Disguises, huh?” Sheriff Trevors said with a look of intrigue.  “Let’s go discuss your plan, Miss Pinkerton.”

Simultaneously, two voices, one feminine and one masculine, demanded, “Before breakfast?”

Kid’s head swiveled to look at the woman with surprise, which soon transformed into a nod of approval.

“Regular, nutritious meals, sufficient sleep, physical activity, and mental stimulation are the four pillars of a healthy body and mind,” Lucy Pinkerton pronounced, ticking the items off on her gloved fingers.

“Well, at least you prescribe to three out of four,” Heyes said to his partner with a twinkle.  The Kid did not deign to reply, but rolled his eyes as the fivesome began to walk over to the cafe.

DISSOLVE TO:

INTERIOR OF CAFE - The party of five are seated around a large round table.  A waitress is just walking away from the group, a pad of paper and pencil in hand.

As soon as the waitress was out of earshot, Lucy began, “As you no doubt have heard, Heyes and Curry have been targeting –”

Heyes cut her off.  “Excuse me, Miss Pinkerton.  I hate to interrupt, but I really must point out that just because the newspapers say the bandits are Heyes and Curry, doesn’t mean they really are.”

“Nobody’s heard anything about those two for at least a year,” put in Curry.

“According to multiple eyewitnesses, the bandits themselves admit to being Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry!” Miss Pinkerton insisted.

“And them saying they are doesn’t mean they are either,” persisted Heyes.

“Alright then, Mr. Smith.  I cede your point.  The bandits CLAIMING to be Heyes and Curry have been targeting the weak and the defenseless.  They lay their ambush in Granite Pass.  We have already sent several decoy coaches with lawmen hidden within through the pass, but whenever there are several men aboard, the coaches are ignored.  The gang descends from the ridge only when they identify weakness.  Cowards,” she added scornfully.

“So, the plan is to send a decoy that looks weak,” surmised Heyes.

“Very good Mr. Smith.  And what is perceived to be weak by these evildoers is women.”

“That’s where you come in,” observed the Kid.

“Yes, but not only me….” she trails off, her eyes sparkling just a bit mischievously.

CUT TO:

A hotel room with two matching beds.  Clothing is spread out on both beds, the bureau, and two armchairs.  The piles include dresses of many colors, corsets, petticoats, wigs, shoes, accessories, etc.  The partners are pawing through them.  Kid picks up a red dress and holds it up to himself dubiously.

“All these dresses are too small,” he complained.  “And you ain’t gettin’ me to wear no corset!”

Heyes snatched the red dress from Curry.  “Give me that.  I’m slimmer than you are.”  He held the bright frock up to his own body and checked the fit in the bureau mirror.  “Here.  This one looks to be larger,” he said as he picked up a blue dress and tossed it over to his partner.  “Plus, it goes nicely with your baby blues,” he added impishly.

Said baby blues rolled as the Kid snagged the matching dress from mid-air and examined it critically.

“You are both a little taller than the average male,” sighed Lucy.  “Which means you are very much taller than the average female.  The only way this is going to be convincing is if we have a considerably taller driver.  From a distance, the illusion should work.”

Just then the door to the room opened to admit Sheriff Trevors and Deputy Harker, all 6 feet 6 inches of him.

Lom made Introductions as Miss Pinkerton appraised the tall deputy.

“Deputy Harker, you’ll do just fine,” she pronounced approvingly.  “Now if we just had one more fellow -- perhaps a littler one,” she speculated, holding up a bright green dress that was smaller than the others…  Heyes and Kid exchanged a glance.

“We have just the fella for you,” Heyes grinned, dimpling.

Last edited by royannahuggins on Sat 20 Feb 2021, 12:23 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem :: Comments

royannahuggins
Re: Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem
Post Fri 19 Feb 2021, 11:25 pm by royannahuggins
FADE TO:

A MONTAGE - There is no dialogue, just the “whimsical” version of the theme music accompanying the action. Still in the hotel room, we see Heyes, Kid, and Kyle wearing the red, blue, and emerald green dresses, respectively. Lucy is fussing over them, adding wigs, make-up, hats, and stuffing wads of padding into their bodices. She is wearing a similarly ornamented dress in a bright canary yellow. Heyes and Kyle manage to find women’s heeled boots that fit, but we see Curry repeatedly try to shove his feet into shoes that, alas, are too small. He finally gives up and puts his own scuffed cowboy boots back on. Briscoe and Wheat are seated in the armchairs, looking on and snickering in amusement.

Now Lucy is patiently coaching the men in how to walk, how to sit, how to rise, etc.

Curry is not a good pupil. Despite the long blonde wig, there is no mistaking that the large, lumbering figure in the blue dress is all male. He strides across the floor long-leggedly, sits with knees spread far apart, then scratches underneath his fake bosom in a most unladylike fashion as Lucy slaps his hand away.

Heyes is trying a little harder, and with the curly dark wig, scarlet lipstick, and false eyelashes, along with his dimples, he actually looks rather pretty, although a bit on the tall side.

Kyle is doing the best of all. He has launched himself into the role whole-heartedly, like a method actor, primping and prancing, sometimes over-exaggerating so much Lucy has to rein him in. With patience and good humor, she guides them to behave convincingly female -- at least from a distance.

The music fades out as Lom walks in the door, stops, stares, and immediately turns on his heel and starts to leave.

“Not so fast, Lom, I’m sure Miss Pinkerton has a dress that’ll fit you,” teased Heyes.

Lom turned in alarm and stammered, “W-wait. Um. That’s not the plan. We decided that Harker will drive, Harry and I are going to be concealed on the floor of the stagecoach, and Whea – uh, Pete -- and the other…deputies…will hide up on the ridge. Besides…” he added, stroking his mustache worriedly, then trailing off.

“Oh, don’t worry, Sheriff! No one expects you to shave off that impressive soup-strainer,” Lucy reassured him. “We’re sticking to the plan. These lovely ladies are just teasing you. In fact,” she added, consulting a small watch pinned to her bodice, “it’s time for us to put this plan into action. I’ll go tell Deputy Harker to bring the coach around. Meet us in front of the hotel in seven minutes.”

As soon as the door closed behind the Bannerman woman, Wheat turned to Lom in exasperation, “Pete Johnson? Ya couldn’t come up with anything better than Pete Johnson? And Kyle Murphy? Ya didn’t even bother with a different first name?”

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_6_11

Lom replied defensively, “I had to think fast! Miss Pinkerton has a sharp mind and I’m sure she did her research on the Devil’s Hole Gang. But I doubt she’d know any names other than yours, Wheat. Uh, no offense, Kyle.”

“That’s okay, Lom,” replied the green-clad outlaw affably. “I reckon I’se only famous in these parts, not all the way over ta London, England.”

“Lom’s real good at aliases, isn’t he, Mr. Jones?” Heyes commented, his dimple making a brief appearance.

“Ain’t that a fact, Mr. Smith,” replied the Kid, poker-faced.

Lom rolled his eyes and clapped his hat onto his hat. “Come on, ladies. We best be going.”

CUT TO

Hotel Lobby, in which a bored-looking, mustachioed clerk perches on a stool behind the long wooden registration counter. He is leaning on one elbow, cradling his jaw in his palm, drumming the fingers of his other hand against the polished surface. The room is decorated in the style of the era, including floral wallpaper, several ornately framed landscapes, and a suite of Victorian-style furniture. The lower third of a broad, carpeted staircase is visible directly opposite the desk. The only other inhabitant of the lobby is an elderly gentleman in a business suit seated in an upholstered armchair, paging through a newspaper.

“Didja see this article about the new mercantile goin’ up in Salt River, Clyde?” asked the reader, not looking up from his paper.

Clyde didn’t answer. His fingers stopped in mid-drum. He slowly sat up straight, his eyes widening as he stared across the room.

“Clyde? Clyde? Didja hear what I just said?” repeated the older man, lowering the paper. His own head swiveled to follow the motionless clerk’s gaze.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_7_11

A small commotion emanated from the top of the stairs.

“Hurry up, would you?” complained the disembodied voice of Kid Curry.

“Hey! You try walking down steps in high-heeled boots,” grumbled Heyes.

“I can’t help it if my feet are too big!”

“Gotta be graceful, like me,” advised a familiar twang.

Despite the low-pitched voices, three fancily dressed women appeared on the steps. Two tottered down the steps clumsily while a third clomped behind. Bringing up the rear was Sheriff Lom Trevors. The “lady” in the lead, seeing the two men gaping at their entrance, quickly shifted to a falsetto. “Come along, sisters,” he trilled. “It’s a loverly day for a carriage ride.”

As unfortunate punctuation to his sentence, Kyle’s heel snagged on the edge of the carpet and he began to tumble forward. His raven-tressed “sister” grabbed hold of him in mid-plunge and set him down on the next step upright.

“Um… Sheriff Trevors….?” ventured the hotel clerk tentatively as the foursome crossed the lobby. The hotel patron, sheets of newspaper now strewn on the floor around his chair, raised one eyebrow sky-high.

“Clyde. Edwards. These are my, uh, cousins. They’re visiting from … “

“Denver,” supplied Heyes helpfully, his voice an octave or two above its usual baritone.

“Cousin Lom is gonna take us on a carriage ride,” supplied Kyle, looking genuinely eager to take in the sights of Porterville.

Edwards rose to his feet as if in slow motion.

Kyle batted his false eyelashes coquettishly and opened his mouth, but whatever he was about to say was cut off as Curry grabbed him by the arm and hustled him out the door, Heyes mincing awkwardly along behind them.

For an awkward moment, Lom and the two other men stared at each other in silence.

“Uh… Have a nice ride, Sheriff,” Clyde finally said.

Trevors stared at him for a beat. Opened his mouth. Shut it. Then strode out the front door.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_8_11

FADE TO:
A similar view to the opening teaser. A stagecoach is rounding the bend through the rocky pass.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_9_11

Switch to interior of stagecoach. We see a close-up of Lom Trevors and Harry Briscoe lying on the floor of the stage in rather cramped positions, guns in hand. Brightly colored satin dresses are draped about them. Curry’s boots are peeking out from beneath the hem of the blue dress.

The camera pans up to show the wearers of the dresses: Kyle and the Kid sit on one side of the coach, resplendent in green and blue satin, Heyes in red and Lucy in yellow sit on the seat opposite.

“I hope you don’t mind my sayin’ so, Miss Lucy,” drawled Kyle, “but ya look real purty in that yaller dress with your hair all tumbled down and not pulled so tight like ya usually wear it.”

“Thank you, Mr. Murphy,” Lucy replied, her cheeks pinking a bit. “You look quite nice yourself.”

“Aw, shucks, Miss Lucy,” Kyle answered. Heyes and Curry caught each other’s eyes across the coach, the corners of their mouths twitching just a bit.

“Let me do all the talking,” Lucy instructed. “But if they force you to speak, try to make your voice gentle and high.”

“Like this, Miss Lucy?” Kyle asked, his voice a sweet falsetto.

“Exactly like that,” praised Lucy.

Kyle beamed like a star pupil.

“And don’t forget -- we’re traveling entertainers. And that trunk strapped to the roof contains all the proceeds from our last several engagements.”

Kyle asked, “So I should say somethin’ like – Oh, Mr. Bandit! Don’t you worry ‘bout that lil old trunk. That’s just our extra frocks and costumes and such.”

“Very good, Kyle, that’s exactly the sort of thing you should say.”

“That’ll make ‘em wanna look in there, cuz they’ll think I’m lettin’ the cat outta the bag!”

“Yes, Kyle, I think you will be quite convincing as someone who could be letting the cat out of the bag,” Heyes observed dryly.

As the Kid chuckled softly, Miss Pinkerton noticed he was once again sitting with legs wide apart. The term had not yet been coined, but if she had ever heard it, no doubt she would have agreed that Kid Curry was “manspreading.”

“Mr. Jones,” she scolded, reaching across and swatting at a blue satin-swathed knee. “Sit like a lady!”

“They can’t see me in here,” he protested.

“You should stay in character,” she commanded.

Despite his protests, Curry complied by rearranging his legs.

“Ow! That was my ear you just stepped on!” came Briscoe’s voice from below.

CUT TO:

The view shifts to Wheat, Lobo, Hank, and Preacher, crouched behind a thicket of bushes along the ridgeline.

Now the camera pans over to the opposite ridge, where a group of mounted outlaws survey the scene below.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_1011

The leader, whose face we now see, is NOT Heyes, although he does bear a striking resemblance to our hero, with similar features, coloring, build, and style of apparel. He holds a pair of binoculars to his eyes. Next to him, the sandy-haired man squints through eyes as blue as the Kid’s, but he is definitely not Kid Curry.

The view switches to the view through the outlaw’s binoculars.

“Whaddaya say, Heyes?” asked the blond man. “Another trap?”

“We shoulda pushed the boulders back,” whined a grizzled outlaw. “Even if it ain’t a trap, they’ll just keep goin’.”

“Shaddup, Griff!” snapped the leader. “We can still catch ‘em around the next bend. I just wanna be sure.”

The stagecoach rolled to a stop. The driver climbed down from the seat, called something into the coach, and walked over to the wheel.

“Just our luck,” crowed Griff. “They busted a wheel or somethin’. We goin’, Boss?”

“I don’t know,” fake Heyes answered, shaking his head. “Let’s hold tight ‘til we see the passengers. It could be another trap. That coach could be filled with lawmen. They could just be pretending to have mechanical trouble.” He handed the glasses over to his partner who took a look through.

We see the view through the binoculars. The stagecoach opens and several womanly figures in brightly colored dresses clamber out. Their long hair whips in the wind, their skirts billow about their legs.

“Just a buncha ladies,” chortled Griff with glee. “We only gotta deal with the driver.”

Suddenly the driver clutched his chest. The women swarmed around him as he collapsed to the ground.

The leader chortled wickedly. “And now we don’t have ta deal with him no more! Looks like Lady Luck is on our side today! Come on boys! Hell-loo, ladies!”

The outlaws spurred their horses into a gallop and charged down the hill whooping and hollering. But just then, a strong gust of wind whipped up the skirts of the tall blonde woman in the bright blue dress to reveal a pair of very manly cowboy boots. The fair-haired outlaw jerked the glasses up to the woman’s face to see her reach up and straighten a slightly crooked wig!

“Traaaaap! It’s a trap!” he yelled at the receding riders. Sawing on the reins, he wheeled his horse around and charged away, hell bent for leather. The last five men in the group yanked their own horses around to follow him to safety, but the rest continued, oblivious to the warning shout.

Atop the opposite ridge, Wheat, Lobo, Hank and Preacher saw half of the outlaws descending on the coach and the other half riding off in the other direction.

Wheat barked out, “Come on, boys!” They gave chase to the fleeing group.

CUT TO:

A close-up view of the three false women and the one real one, pretending to administer to Harker. Each one is shown to be surreptitiously holding a gun.

Lucy whispered, “Hold...hold...hold…”

The mounted outlaws spread out, surrounding their intended prey.

“Well, good afternoon, ladies, can we be of assistance?” fake Heyes asked, leering.

“NOW!” Lucy commanded.

The “ladies” rose from where they were crouching around the fallen Harker, each brandishing a gun. Harker, seemingly miraculously cured, leapt up from the ground, his own gun drawn, while the stage door flew open and Lom Trevors and Harry Briscoe burst out.

“You’re all under arrest!” shouted Briscoe dramatically, a gun in each hand.

The outlaws, panicked, started shooting, and the would-be victims returned fire. Soon bullets were flying in all directions, ricocheting off rocks. The onslaught was merciless and the outlaws were decidedly outnumbered. One by one the bandits gave up, dropping their guns and raising their hands above their heads. Finally, all had surrendered except the outlaw leader, who spurred his horse away from the melee.

Lucy Pinkerton gave chase on foot.

As the bandit galloped away, he shot at the small pursuing figure blindly, spurring his horse onward. His ride to freedom turned out to be a short one; by chance he had made a poor choice -- he’d chosen a dead end. Turning his mount, he frantically looked for a way out. Lucy, long hair and full skirts flying, dashed into view, cornering him against the canyon wall.

As she raised her gun to bring it to bear on the man, he did the same. Simultaneously, they both pulled their triggers, but instead of gunshots, the hammers clicked uselessly.

The outlaw sneered at the petite woman facing him and calmly began to pull bullets from his bandolier and reload. Suddenly, his eyes widened in surprise as the woman brazenly hiked up her voluminous skirts and reached beneath them.

Lucy’s hand emerged brandishing a small, ivory-handled, snub-nosed, blued-steel pocket pistol that she’d pulled from her garter. As she leveled it at his belly, his surprised gaze soon turned to amusement. Undaunted, the first lady Bannerman agent commanded, “You’re under arrest. Drop your weapon.”

“Ya think I’m scared of that little pea shooter?” the bandit scoffed, continuing to feed bullets into the chambers of his gun.

“You should be,” she replied in her precise manner of speaking. “This is a .450 caliber double-action Webley & Son British Bull Dog. At this range it is fully capable of perforating your intestines.”

“Yeah, I’m shakin’ in my boots,” fake Heyes jeered sarcastically, jerking the chamber shut and spinning the wheel, unperturbed. He raised the gun.

But before he could pull back the hammer, Lucy lowered her Webley slightly and fired off one shot which pierced the meat of her adversary’s thigh. The recoil of the small but powerful weapon knocked her back a step, but she quickly recovered her balance and advanced on her quarry confidently, ready to shoot again.

The outlaw shrieked as his horse reared, causing him to plunge to the ground clutching his wounded leg. As Lucy strode forward, Lom, Heyes, and Curry raced into view, guns drawn. When they saw the outlaw cowed beneath Lucy, they slowed their pace, relieved, and exchanged impressed glances.

FADE TO:

The outlaws are being tied up. Lucy is binding the leader’s wounded leg, who is moaning and complaining vociferously. Curry, no longer wearing the wig, but still sporting the blue dress – although his fake bosoms seem to have gone missing – is holding his gun on him.

“That really isn’t necessary, Mr. Jones,” she said. “This man is quite incapacitated and I have the situation well in hand.”

“I have no doubt of that, Miss Pinkerton,” the Kid answered, smiling wryly at her. “All the same to you, I’d feel better bein’ ready -- just in case he tries anything.”

By this time Wheat had rejoined the group and stood glaring at the injured man with disgust.

“Why didn’t ya just plug him?” he asked Lucy. “Then we wouldn’t havta listen to his whining.”

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_1111

Lucy continued administering to the injured man as she answered. “There is a marked difference I have observed between men and women, Mr. Johnson. In my experience, I have seen that, in general, women are less likely to take a life than men. Perhaps because women are in the business of creating life, we are less likely to extinguish it.”

Curry readily agreed, “I’m with you, Miss Pinkerton. I only kill if I ain’t got any other choice. And even then, it kinda eats at ya.”

In the rear ground, Briscoe, Harker and Lom can be seen loading four of the prisoners into the stagecoach while Heyes is tying another one’s hands to the pommel of a horse. Heyes has changed back into his own clothes, but traces of mascara remain on his long lashes. Kyle, still clad in full regalia, is gathering up the outlaws’ horses, the green dress whipping around his legs and the long strawberry-blonde tresses billowing about his head as he works to capture them.

Lom spoke up, “Smith, Briscoe, you and the rest can bring those two on horseback. I’ll go with this lot and meet you back in Porterville.”

Harker hauled his great bulk up into the driver’s box as Lom climbed inside the stage.

“Yes, Sheriff, I have things well under control,” blustered Harry importantly as the stage lumbered away. “You can always count on a Bannerman man,” he exclaimed with pride.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_1211

“Or woman,” Heyes added under his breath. Then he called over to Lucy, “You got that one patched up enough to get him on a horse? I wanna get outta here before the others decide to come back.”

“Come on, mister,” Curry commanded. “Quit yer belly-achin’.” He hauled the prisoner to his feet and manhandled him over to where his partner waited with a horse and some rope.

Briscoe approached Lucy and Wheat, still strutting with pride. “Good work, Miss Pinkerton,” he praised. “You’ll make a Bannerman Woman yet, under my guidance. Mr. Johnson,” he added, addressing Wheat. “Report. What happened to the other outlaws? You did not apprehend them, I take it?”

“Nope,” replied Wheat. “They had too much of a head start. I sent the boys to follow ‘em to see if they can track down their hide-out.”

“Good thinking, Johnson, very good,” Briscoe nodded approvingly.

As Heyes and the Kid worked together to tie Fake Heyes to a horse, the man moaned and complained loudly. “Aw, shut up already,” Curry muttered, tying a knot and pulling it tight. Just then an emerald-green clad Kyle scurried past, chasing an errant horse. The partners caught each other’s eyes and snickered.

Curry cracked, “Ya know, I think Kyle kinda likes wearin’ that dress.”

Heyes snorted and looked at his partner with merriment. “You should talk, Thaddeus.” He directed his gaze pointedly at the Kid’s now somewhat bedraggled blue frock. Curry glanced downward, realized in horror he was still wearing the dress, and immediately tried to pull it off over his head. In no time he was stuck, flailing beneath yards of satiny fabric.

“Stop, stop, stop!” his partner scolded, trying, but failing, to contain his laughter. “You gotta unhook it first. Come on, let me help you.”

As the two struggle with the dress...

FADE TO:

Sheriff Trevors’ office. Two cells contain two outlaws each. Lom is opening a cell door and Heyes and Curry are helping the wounded outlaw into it, one on each side, not that he shows any sort of appreciation for their assistance.

“Kyle took all the gang’s horses over to the livery stable,” offered Heyes.

“Did he ever take off that dress?” asked Lom curiously.

“Yeah,” answered Curry. “He finally took it off when he realized he couldn’t sit a horse in that get-up.”

As Curry spoke, Harry led the final outlaw into the cell. Then Lom closed and locked the door.

At this point, Fake Heyes started screaming, “You’ll be sorry when my partner, Kid Curry, shows up! He’s gonna shoot up this whole town! Yeah, that’s right! You heard me! Kid Curry! The fastest gun in the west! You’re all goners!”

The group ignored his invective and walked out to the office where Wheat, Harker, and Lucy waited. Lucy had changed back into her sensible clothes and her hair was once again arranged in its customary neat bun.

When the yelling from the back rose in volume, Lom rolled his eyes and hollered, “Shut up already! You ain’t Hannibal Heyes and your partner ain’t Kid Curry!”

“How would you know?” demanded the outraged outlaw.

At this query, Wheat, Lom, Kid, and Heyes all exchanged glances. Kid and Heyes shot Wheat and Briscoe a warning look. Lom looked annoyed while Harry wore a sly, knowing expression. Harker looked completely oblivious and Wheat took on an exaggerated, falsely innocent air. Lucy, frowning slightly, glanced at each man’s face in turn.

Finally, Lom spoke up calmly, but loudly, so as to be heard in the cells. “It’s common knowledge in these parts that before I became a sheriff, I had, uh, dealings with the Devil’s Hole Gang. The Governor knows I can identify Heyes and Curry on sight. And you ain’t Heyes, so shut up already!” He slammed the door between the office and the cells.

Just as the door shut, Lobo, Preacher, and Hank burst into the office, all talking at once. Through the confusion only a few phrases were intelligible, including “-- got away!” ... “he’s got four men with him” ... “followed their trail” ... “I know him” and “Lobo knows him!”

A shrill whistle pierced the air and silenced the cacophony. Startled, all heads turned to the source of the noise, which turned out to be Lucy, two fingers in her mouth.

“Let’s all take a breath,” she advised, removing her fingers and wiping them on her skirt, “and then let’s speak one at a time. But –” her eyes cut to the passageway leading to the cells “– not here.”

FADE TO:

THE SALOON: Harry, Harker, Hank, and Kyle, now clad in his own clothing, are at the bar getting drinks. Lucy requests a cup of tea, then sarsaparilla, then lemonade, then finally coffee when none of the other beverages are available. In the background, we see Heyes, Curry, Lom, Lobo, and Wheat making their way to a table in the back room of the saloon, each with a mug of beer in hand. Preacher is already seated there with a bottle of whiskey and a half-filled glass in front of him.

A young, bright-eyed boy about 12 years of age is sweeping the floor. He looks up in surprise to see the sheriff approaching.

“Howdy, Sheriff Trevors,” the boy said politely as the men pushed their way through the beaded curtain dividing the saloon into two rooms.

“Hiya Billy,” Lom replied, smiling fondly at the boy.

“Billy! Come wash these glasses!” called the bartender.

“Yes, Pa,” answered Billy. Nodding at the group, he scurried off to the bar.

As the five men took chairs around Preacher’s table, Curry glanced furtively back to the bar where the others were still waiting for service, then asked his former gang member, “You say you know him, Lobo?”

“Yeah, I know who he is alright. His real name is Lloyd somethin’. Use ta call hisself the Sweetwater Kid and go around claimin’ to be faster than you, Kid. And he’s real fast alright, killed a lotta men, but ain’t nobody as fast as you are, that’s the God’s honest truth.”

“Does he know you?” asked the Kid.

“Nope, but he knows Preacher,” Lobo responded, jerking his head over to the black-clad man who looked to be well into his cups. “That’s why we doubled back.”

Preacher intoned, “He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. Lloyd Masters is an evil man. He knows me and he knows I ride with the Devil’s Hole Gang. If he had seen me, he might have become suspicious of any plans we might put into action.”

The rest of the group was now pushing through the strings of beads dividing the back room from the main part of the saloon, drinks in hand.

“What did we miss?” asked Briscoe as the newcomers pulled more chairs to the table and sat down.

Lom answered. “Turns out Lobo here knows the man claiming to be Kid Curry.”

“Claiming…?” inquired Lucy, taking a sip of her coffee. Her face screwed up indicating that she would have much preferred one of her other requests.

“Yeah,” chimed in Lobo. “The so-called Sweetwater Kid.”

“I’ve heard of him,” claimed Briscoe. “He’s a real fast draw.”

“Ain’t no one fast as Kid Curry,” pronounced Kyle loyally.

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_1311

Heyes said smoothly, “A lot of folks say that. Looks like Masters got tired of being second best, so he took on Curry’s identity.”

“An interesting theory,” commented Lucy. “And not without precedent.”

Heyes turned to Lobo. “Are you willing to spy on him for us? Tell ‘em you wanna join up, then send the information back to us?”

“I could do that,” Lobo agreed, nodding slowly.

Lom spoke up. “That way we’ll find out how serious this threat of his partner’s is.”

“If he really is coming to Porterville,” offered Heyes, “we can lay a trap for him.”

“And if he ain’t,” added Curry, “we’ll know where he is so we can go get him.”

“Mr. Lobo,” began Lucy, turning to the outlaw, who blushed a little at the formal appellation. “Would perhaps one of your friends go with you, for safety’s sake? What about Mr. – er – Preacher?”

“Dear lady,” answered Preacher, “that would be quite impossible. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour,” he recited in a dramatic tone.

Lobo glanced at Preacher and then back to the group. He shrugged. “Best if I go alone.”

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem Asj_1412

Heyes looked thoughtful. “But we'll need a way to communicate with you. If they catch you coming and going, they’ll suspect something. Hank, what if you go part of the way with Lobo, but hide out somewhere nearby. Then you can sneak into the camp during the night to see what Lobo finds out, then come back here and tell us.”

(Writers love feedback! You can comment on Little Bluestem’s story by clicking the "post reply" button, found at the bottom left side of your screen. You don't have to be a member of this site and you can be anonymous. You can type any name in the box.)

Penski, Gemhenry and Uk_rachel74 like this post

Penski
Post Wed 24 Feb 2021, 12:09 am by Penski
What a horrible thing to be blamed of - even Wheat and the boys want to be cleared of this mess. Too fun visualizing the boys made up as gals. I LOVE Kyle in this story being the perfect student and an overachiever. Perfect casting for Lucy and I'm really enjoying her character. She is a blend of Heyes and Curry. Can't wait for the ending. Wonderful story, Little Bluestem! thumbsup
Post Sat 27 Feb 2021, 5:34 pm by Laura
I liked it. So our boys are happy, relaxing in a hot tub looking forward to, I am sure a steak dinner, after finishing one of those much loved cattle drives only to find out they have to leave to go clear their names once again. It is good to see Harry Briscoe again and Lucy seems like a good fit in this job, Heyes seems to trust her. Loved that the boys are willing to don dresses and laughed when Kid lost his bosoms. Now, one of that gang knows Preacher, it seems to be one thing after another. Looking forward to part 2.

Penski likes this post

Post Sat 27 Feb 2021, 5:56 pm by Uk_rachel74
Clever story. Fun interaction. Looking forward to part 2.

Penski likes this post

Post Sun 28 Feb 2021, 1:04 am by calicole
Good story, funny imagining them in dresses but easy to imagine Kid trying to escape without unfastening the blue dress. rofl goodone

Penski likes this post

Post Wed 31 Mar 2021, 4:04 am by Gemhenry
I really enjoyed reading Part 1, and can visualise these ladies in their vibrant coloured dresses.

Penski likes this post

Decoys - Part 1 by Little Bluestem

Page 1 of 1